Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Should've Known Better

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Ugh, I inadvertently just ordered a bunch of single ply toilet paper and this is really hitting home.  

You need to fold it up.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Spike said:

We are all passionate viewers and a little stir crazy but we all get along somehow,

🤗 for everyone. 

But especially for you spikearoony.  

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

You need to fold it up.

I cannot hang man.  I've been living this first world life too long! I honestly didn't even know companies still made single ply toilet paper.  That's only good if you're gonna TP someone house. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Spike said:

While the woman in the pictures may not be type chatting with him every time, she has appeared on “live” video so she is involved somewhat.  (I suppose they could have a stock recording but then her physical responses would be off.) Because they don’t speak each others’ languages they would type while video “chatting.”  I don’t know why they don’t do it every time — either because David is cheap and video chatting costs more per minute or she is not available sometimes and someone else is typing.

David has never had an audio or video chat with Lana. He said this in his first episode. He gave a reason but I don't remember what it was. He has only ever chatted with her through the messenger on the website.

At least Maria kept up pretenses by occasionally calling and sending videos. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

David has never had an audio or video chat with Lana. He said this in his first episode. He gave a reason but I don't remember what it was. He has only ever chatted with her through the messenger on the website.

At least Maria kept up pretenses by occasionally calling and sending videos. 

He said there was one time she video chatted with him with the audio muted.

53 minutes ago, Spike said:

Oh yeah, you're right. I must've been thinking about Weeyums. Hard to keep some of these assholes straight.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Quoting you for context - My opinion on this whole matter is the paid chat site is just that. A paid chat site. I don't think it is a dating site, even if it is marketed as one. The Lanas have never agreed to communicate with David outside of the site. Our answer is right there, and where the context comes into play. The job of The Lanas is to keep David chatting, therefore keep him paying, and so after each stand-up, they have to offer a little bait to keep the chats going. That is their job, to keep the chats going. And for seven years, they have succeeded. 

If David wanted a beautiful Ukranian girlfriend that badly, shouldn't he have signed up with a matchmaker or a better dating site?

I love your use of" The Lanas" and "their job," because like you, I believe there is no one Lana. I think there have been a variety of Lanas over the 7 years, following a script. Since Lana was never going to show up for the cruise, it didn't really matter what address/town she provided. 

Also it has occurred to me that of the seven years of "conversations", we have only seen a few isolated responses. Judging from the way David has reacted to and excused every one of them, who knows what he might have interpreted as an invitation to come to the Ukraine (4 times)!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Spike said:

He stated that Lana is "too shy" to communicate any other way than through the pay per minute messaging site...the video "chat" had no audio and more than likely was a recording.  Lana doesn't exist.  Lana is a bot, or a paid person who follows a strict script when responding to sad old men in order to keep that credit card revenue flowing in.  David, I hope, is just an actor who agreed to portray an easy mark for the show.  There is no way TLC would not have verified Lana's existence and gotten some backstory from her (like they did with every other overseas "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" with the notable exception of "Williams," who is also a fictitious creation of a scam warehouse) to lead up to the meeting with David.  

• Love 1

Again, I can't get upset about this Dave storyline.  I just don't believe he is anything more than a person trying to get on TV; I feel the same way about Yolanda.  And the same way about Cesar.  Of course, there ARE stupid people out there that fall for scams, but I think these people are found by TLC or they are punking TLC and just trying to get on TV and TLC uses these people as filler.  

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

Of course, there ARE stupid people out there that fall for scams

My dad was one of those.  When he got old he was a soft "push-over" and would believe anything anyone told him.  He lost everything he had saved up his entire life (for retirement) and up until the end he STILL said the man was a "good guy".   I'm not sure these people are "stupid" that fall for any kind of scam.... I think their brains are wired differently and they are extremely naive.

Of course David is just being stupid.  FOUR visits?

55 minutes ago, mixedmartialmom said:

He stated that Lana is "too shy" to communicate any other way than through the pay per minute messaging site...the video "chat" had no audio and more than likely was a recording.  Lana doesn't exist.  Lana is a bot, or a paid person who follows a strict script when responding to sad old men in order to keep that credit card revenue flowing in.  David, I hope, is just an actor who agreed to portray an easy mark for the show.  There is no way TLC would not have verified Lana's existence and gotten some backstory from her (like they did with every other overseas "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" with the notable exception of "Williams," who is also a fictitious creation of a scam warehouse) to lead up to the meeting with David.  

Everyone said this about Maria and then TLC sprung her at the end.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

My dad was one of those.  When he got old he was a soft "push-over" and would believe anything anyone told him.  He lost everything he had saved up his entire life (for retirement) and up until the end he STILL said the man was a "good guy".   I'm not sure these people are "stupid" that fall for any kind of scam.... I think their brains are wired differently and they are extremely naive.

Of course David is just being stupid.  FOUR visits?

Oh no, your poor Dad!

• Love 1
On 4/17/2020 at 4:11 PM, magemaud said:

My friend ordered a case of movie size boxes of Milk Duds from Amazon. They have EVERYTHING! 

Thanks for the tip...

Off to seek out movie-size boxes of Junior Mints on Amazon 😄 

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, lilysmom said:

Also it has occurred to me that of the seven years of "conversations", we have only seen a few isolated responses.

I’d love to look back over the seven years of conversation, because I’d bet that I’d see the same pattern of responses over and over again. “Lana” doesn’t even respond in words half the time, it seems, just emojis. A computer program can easily replicate that pattern (hah, like I even know a single thing about computer programming).

If a film crew is following you to a destination to find an imaginary girlfriend, is that considered stalking? I’d vote no.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Thanks for the tip...

Like the little ones because they are perfect to tipple into your gob without hands....plus the littering of all the tiny boxes around your slippers propped up on the coffee table makes you feel like a giant....

Milk Duds would yank out all my dental work...like Big Hunks...Bit O' Honey...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 3

Here's my take on David.  He's been "dating" (ha!) Lana for so long on this pay chat site that he considers it normal.  He's tried to meet up with her and she either ghosts him or comes up with "reasonable" excuses why it didn't happen.  He is getting very mixed messages.  Everything she SAYS indicates they're in a relationship.  Everything she DOES is just the opposite.  In his clouded mind she is truly TRYING to meet up with him, but the fates just make it impossible.  He is being her savior by going TO HER.  To her town.  But then The Powers That Be somehow kept them from meeting AGAIN.  So now he's going to what he believes to be her home.  Because she really does want to start the K-1 Visa process with him.  Really.  It's not her fault!

At what point will he accept what she DOES as the truth vs. what she (or he or they) SAYS?

• Love 2

Good news for BGL and Mommy... taken from a CNN article...

Lagos, Nigeria (CNN)A Nigerian woman has given birth to twins, a boy, and a girl at the age of 68.

Margaret Adenuga went through three previous IVF procedures before finally having twins.

Her husband Noah Adenuga, 77 told CNN the couple, who married in 1974 had long desired to have a child of their own.

BGL can tote and deliver SJB an heir....Mazel Tov!

• LOL 5
15 hours ago, Spike said:

We are all passionate viewers and a little stir crazy but we all get along somehow,

❣ Spike, in honor of some of your posts, there needs to be the vomit reaction emoticon. Or something like brain bleach. I'll never forget that one about BGL taking her teeth out. Shudder. It haunts me! 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Lagos, Nigeria (CNN)A Nigerian woman has given birth to twins, a boy, and a girl at the age of 68.

Margaret Adenuga went through three previous IVF procedures before finally having twins.

Her husband Noah Adenuga, 77 told CNN the couple, who married in 1974 had long desired to have a child of their own.

Was it her aig, or did she just tote it?

• LOL 9
55 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Thinking all her 🥚s were well past their shelf date by a few decades.

But Noah wasn't shooting blanks and still had good swimmers in his chamber....

I would imagine that all she'd have by that age in her breasts would be powdered milk.

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Good news for Grangela and Mykull too! Oh wait, she can tote it, she just needs an aig...!

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

BGL has a teen daughter...still a minor so her aigs are off limits...

"Keep yer grubby hands off my aigs, Mama!"

She would be the mother of her sister so that her mother old enough to be a grandmother could have another baby.  (Did you follow all of that?)  Ick!

On 4/21/2020 at 8:35 AM, RealReality said:

I posit that David's actions are his responsibility and that no one, no one deserves some guy ambushing them at their house so that they "learn a lesson" because they "led them on." 

You are assuming that Lana is a real person. As many have said, she is likely a composite of a bunch of people who sit at computers and answer desperate men who want to chat with a Ukrainian woman. How the men interpret it is their issue; but let's face it. There is NO woman out there named Lana who needs to be afraid that David is "stalking" her. She doesn't exist, her purported address is fake, she is fake.  You can't stalk a fake person and a fake person doesn't need to fear someone is going to knock on her door.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, KateHearts said:

You are assuming that Lana is a real person. As many have said, she is likely a composite of a bunch of people who sit at computers and answer desperate men who want to chat with a Ukrainian woman. How the men interpret it is their issue; but let's face it. There is NO woman out there named Lana who needs to be afraid that David is "stalking" her. She doesn't exist, her purported address is fake, she is fake.  You can't stalk a fake person and a fake person doesn't need to fear someone is going to knock on her door.

Wait are you going to tell me there is no Betty Crocker?

• LOL 6
12 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I'm not.  One of my first comments was that I know that Lana is not a real person, but if she was and had given the David the correct address he is a creepy stalker and would probably kidnap her or just never leave.  

I'm not even sure the fact that Lana is fake changes the fact that he is a creepy stalker.  For all intents and purposes David doesn't know she is theoretical. 

After the initial comment I didn't use the term "theoretical Lana" or something like that because the keypad on this phone sux, and I didn't want to type extra.  LOL.   

• Love 4
On 4/13/2020 at 3:36 PM, Kyanight said:

I try to feel sorry for him, but I just can't.....It's too bad that only Russian women turn him on because it aint happening.

This is why I don't feel bad for ANY of them that are getting played. Based on looks and lifestyle, I think David could certainly get a perfectly respectable and average looking (which doesn't mean ugly - it means average) 56 year old Carol in Las Vegas. But he doesn't want that. He wants a young woman half his age who he thinks is "hot." Same with Ed. And Cesar. And Yolanda, frankly, and others on this franchise. They don't want companionship or interesting conversation. They want someone who is out of their league age and attractiveness wise.

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, lilmarysunshine said:

This is why I don't feel bad for ANY of them that are getting played. Based on looks and lifestyle, I think David could certainly get a perfectly respectable and average looking (which doesn't mean ugly - it means average) 56 year old Carol in Las Vegas. But he doesn't want that. He wants a young woman half his age who he thinks is "hot." Same with Ed. And Cesar. And Yolanda, frankly, and others on this franchise. They don't want companionship or interesting conversation. They want someone who is out of their league age and attractiveness wise.

The men are NOT rich enough to score good looking women in the US (or maintain them) so they get the young girls from poor countries who have natural beauty and then berate them and shame them for not being American Barbies. Ed's criticism of Rose is unacceptable. He has no right to shame her for her leg hair and her breath, which in both cases, is what he did. Yes, bad breath sucks. There are a million ways he could have approached it, but instead he choose to embarrass and demean her, by saying her breath was not nice (as his stomach sat on his lap) and gave her a bunch of oral over the counter products. WAY too much. He couldn't just chew some gum and offer her some? He looks down on her, and his snobbiness is showing. I wouldn't be surprised if he dumped her. In the first episode, they show him working with models on photo shoots and head shots which makes me think he is used to and wants the superficial. He has an image of what he wants, but real life and a picture are different.

I don't think David is a stalker-- I think production had a lot to do with his visit to the address he was given. Production was with him, driving with him, all the way there, so they clearly knew they would have something to film. Like with the one guy from whatever season, the Melissa person was not about to show up, but production talked her into it. I think production encouraged David to visit her, I really don't think he's trying to encroach on her privacy. That's my guess, especially since this season is so producer driven. So many conversations and encounters seem scripted. Mommy BGL suddenly, on the 11th hour says okay? Really? And Varya's family is just letting Varya leave with a felon, sharing some tears and a wave?

I think 90 day has some producers who are looking for prime time and will do whatever to show they can get ratings. It's just all too fake. Producers could have reverse imaged Williams, and should have if this was real, from the get go. We are all being scammed.

Still though, entertained.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:
On 4/17/2020 at 7:11 PM, magemaud said:

My friend ordered a case of movie size boxes of Milk Duds from Amazon. They have EVERYTHING! 

Thanks for the tip...

"Who's gonna turn down a Junior Mint? It's chocolate, it's peppermint, it's delicious..."

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 4/22/2020 at 7:43 PM, bravofan27 said:

He looks down on her, and his snobbiness is showing.

That's Ed, all right.  Isn't that the case with many of these American male losers?  They don't want romance within their "league."  They aspire to something they could never have, so they contact/pay women/girls in 3rd World Countries (Ed commented on it the moment he was near her house) on the internet*.  That way they feel superior...even a little troll like Ed...hell-bent on demeaning the women when they meet them.  Those "queens" they romanced so fervently online.

*In the old days it was by mail.

• Love 3
On 4/21/2020 at 11:38 AM, AZChristian said:

Think of it as these scenarios. 

• A panhandler asks for money and you give it to them, that's your choice.  (Lana is the panhandler, David is dropping money into her hat.)  Transaction complete.  Move on with life.
  • A criminal scams you and intentionally steals your money.  That's wrong.  But that doesn't mean you can choose to hunt down the scammer to seek your own justice, unless you're doing it to call the police and turn them in.  (Lana is the scammer, David is the hunter.)

David has been scammed, but he needs to just acknowledge it and move on.  At one point does a person with $100,000 to fritter away wake up and realize that giving even one more penny to a scammer is throwing bad money after good? 

Maybe he needs to go on Dr. Phil so Phil can have his Private Investigator track down Lana.  The end of the episode would be Dr. Phil getting in David's face to tell him that there IS no Lana . . . that she never has existed as a real person who is romantically interested in him.  And David would sit there and say, "I understand" while linking back into the website so he could tell "Lana" what Dr. Phil says.  

I LOVE the Dr. Phil catfish shows!

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Squee Bastard said:
On 4/21/2020 at 9:38 AM, AZChristian said:

Maybe he needs to go on Dr. Phil so Phil can have his Private Investigator track down Lana.  The end of the episode would be Dr. Phil getting in David's face to tell him that there IS no Lana . . . that she never has existed as a real person who is romantically interested in him.  And David would sit there and say, "I understand" while linking back into the website so he could tell "Lana" what Dr. Phil says.  

I LOVE the Dr. Phil catfish shows!

Those people have serious mental issues.  No matter what Dr. Phil shows them, they refuse to believe it.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, deirdra said:

If Steph is bisexual, why is she only jealous of Erika's relationship with Adam, not all the woman at the party?

She's bisexual, but heterojealous.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2