Type keyword(s) to search

90DF Live Chat 2: This Thread is Only 60% Good

• Start Topic

I accidentally watched Family Chantel Pillowtalk and sad to say I ended up binging all the Pillow Talks.  I would never watch the show though, that's too much of horrible Karen and stiff jawed Chantel.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Well, to be fair, it was his bitter geriatric American Canadian honey who said that.

Don't wait a minute more! 

FIFY; the US has more of its share of assholes to claim at the moment without adding Laura.  😁

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 7

So Brandon who is 27 but looks and sounds like a 12 year old and has spent all his money and gone in debt to woo this girl and thinks it's to much responsibility to practice safe sex, okay then. I don't think this is going to work out the way hopes

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, kacesq said:

I’m wondering why he had to buy the land if it’s been in his family. Unless he had to buy out other family members?

Yeah probably had to buy them out. I think this is often an issue with farm land. 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, GrammyPammy said:

The K-1 visa is actually intended to let a couple get to know each other better on the same soil so they can decide if they want to proceed and get married.

It really isn't. The K-1 was created to give the couples time in which to plan their wedding and their new life. It gives the couple a padding so that they can book a venue, rent an apartment, and generally prepare for their new life. The people on this show act like it's a "getting to know you" period, but that's not the way it was intended to be used, nor is it the way that the majority of us used it. The show portrays it this way simply because it adds an extra layer of drama. Applying for the visa is done with the understanding that you and your partner ALREADY know each other and have spent ample amount of time together. I've spent a fair amount of time helping others with the visa on the Visa Journey website. Many of us had already lived abroad together, dated for many years, and even had children with our partners by the time the visa came along.

The show having the couples wait up until the end of the 90 days isn't realistic, either. Most of us got married quickly because we wanted to go ahead and get started on the permanent residency program. Until this show aired I hadn't met a single couple who waited until the 80th day or whatever to marry. It's much more common to marry within the first 2 weeks. The next part of the application process is expensive and complicated. It's also how our foreign spouse is able to work, too. While you CAN apply for a work permit while you wait, it's a separate (pricey) cost and can take months. You don't have to get a work visa, though. Once you marry and apply for Adjustment of Status you're legally allowed to work after it's approved. It can be a shorter process than waiting for the work visa.

The portrayal of the K-1 visa and how it's used is one of the biggest flaws of the series. For those of us who married using the visa, it's also the most frustrating. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Useful 11
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Do women use diaghrams anymore? That’s what I used when I was in college.

I honestly don’t know. It’s weird my doctor never mentioned it as an option. IUDs are high risk for me.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 2