Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: US Government Response to Coronavirus

• Start Topic

In case you didn't know, there was a new episode tonight. Naturally, most of it centered on Coronavirus . . . or at least up until Saturday, which is when John filmed the episode. He's doing it from his home. He has a white void in his house because of course he'd have a white void in his house.

Basically, you had great insight from John, the general ineptitude of the president, and right-wing zealots (e.g., Glenn Beck, Dan Patrick) going more bugfuck than usual. And then John showed a public television art auction from 1993 that featured obvious humanoid rat erotica. Not that overt, but you wind up laughing from the sheer absurdity of it. And isn't that what we need right now?

John has no clue when things will go back to normal. Who wants to bet that he and Samantha Bee trade locations for a week, and he does thirty minutes in the woods?

• Love 11

I was crying laughing at the whole thing with the rat artwork. Oh, my god. I really hope John can find that one piece, though I can only imagine what his wife will say about him hanging something like that on the wall XD. At least the money he'd shell out for it would go to a worthwhile cause. 

That segment was sorely needed, too, because holy shit, did virtually almost every other clip he showed throughout this episode make me want to punch my wall and/or throw something at my television screen. Somebody desperately needs to put a stop to this kind of insane commentary, this is beyond dangerous and irresponsible. 

As for Trump...no words. Just. No. Words. I am biting my tongue so goddamn hard right now. 

On a lighter note, I too love that translator. That is a meme-worthy look if ever there was one. And yes to Hammy for President! I also wholeheartedly agree that any and all medical staff deserve a parade when all this is over, as well as medals and other various honors and tributes. As do all the others who've worked so hard to help people throughout this crisis. 

I am so, so glad that they found a way to keep doing this show. I hope all continues to go well for him and his staff and they're all safe and comfortable. 

• Love 16

I so needed this tonight. I’m a journalist and did the COVID updates for my town. And then the news about John Prine. And then I started crying and couldn’t work anymore.

the rat erotica made me laugh and the commentary and the that was 1992?

g-d bless John Oliver

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

the rat erotica made me laugh and the commentary and the that was 1992?

And how if we give up we’re just France? Oh, John! (I really hope someone contacts him with that painting!)

• Love 5

I was really surprised something like that in 1992 would pass the censorship, let alone a state television show. Though I am reminded of an obscure cartoon/video game tournament show that featured the host, Johnny Arcade, who goes as over the top as he can be. Mind you, this was a New York based game show and this was the NES fan craze around 1991-92. I was very young watching this and enjoying the show at that age, but when you watch it, you think how the hell did he get a hosting job with the way he is acting. It is too funny. Best part is the kid saying "What the hell" when Johnny Arcade said he was incorrect on the answer. If John Oliver wants to dig up something, look at this one.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1

I haven't been watching this show in a while.  Not because of John who I think is wonderful but because there's only so much wrong I can handle.

But I watched tonight and while the first part was tough (and infuriating).  I really needed the second part about rat erotica.  Who knew?

I am also impressed by how he was able to somewhat recreate the studio feel by adding in the minimalist background.

• Love 3

I really lolled about the Hamster vice president joke.

So glad that someone FINALLY pointed out that a lot of people dying is bad for the economy in itself.

The best part about the rat pictures was the attempts to describe them without outright saying that those are two rats f... each other.

• Love 14
26 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

That Bill Maher shade was perfect. Thanks, Oliver.

My mom and I were like, "Oooooooh..." at that bit :D.

32 minutes ago, swanpride said:

So glad that someone FINALLY pointed out that a lot of people dying is bad for the economy in itself.

You'd think that'd be a major, "NO DUH" statement that wouldn't have to be said aloud. But no, apparently we still have to explain such obvious, simple concepts to grown adults who should (and most likely do) know a hell of a lot better

The best part about the rat pictures was the attempts to describe them without outright saying that those are two rats f... each other.

That was amazing. They were trying to go all deep in analyzing the "meaning" behind those pictures and everything. I love how this show will dig up the most unusual and bizarre clips from decades past. 

• Love 7

I really hope that whoever bought that rat erotica has all four of the watercolors from the Biohazard series that were available on that show (Surfacing, Sheets and Pillowcases, The Smell of Wet Fur, and Stay Up Late for those of you keeping track). I want to imagine someone at home seeing the first painting and then getting SUPER STOKED that there were three more.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

I'm really shocked John had pants on when he stood up.

This was somehow a lot less awkward than the other comedians doing silent shows (including the other episode John did).

Hammy4Prez!

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, sab85 said:

This was somehow a lot less awkward than the other comedians doing silent shows (including the other episode John did).

Hammy4Prez!

I was also shocked! I was sure he would have pajama bottoms or shorts or something.

Wait, so no more “Welcome, welcome, welcome!” 😕

John keeps hitting the nail on the head with his corona coverage. Sadly, he’s likely preaching to the choir.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, swanpride said:

What was the Bill Mahler dig? I must have missed it....

Something like: Coronavirus probably isn't watching this show; it's more of a Bill Maher fan.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, sab85 said:

Hammy4Prez!

It was fantastic.. Jimmy Fallons kids made me turn it off pronto. I can't find Stephen Colbert  or Jimmy Kimmel. I heard they are doing shows from home but they are not on my tv channels.

1 minute ago, msrachelj said:

It was fantastic.. Jimmy Fallons kids made me turn it off pronto. I can't find Stephen Colbert  or Jimmy Kimmel. I heard they are doing shows from home but they are not on my tv channels.

Stephen will start having new "from home" episodes of his show airing on CBS beginning tonight. He also did a few home-based mini-monologue bits a couple weeks or so ago that should be online, too (likely on YouTube).

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Stephen will start having new "from home" episodes of his show airing on CBS beginning tonight. He also did a few home-based mini-monologue bits a couple weeks or so ago that should be online, too (likely on YouTube).

Thanks!

• Love 1

So far I think Trevor Noah adapted to the lack of audience the best. It's like he is directly talking to you in your living room (plus, those balls are a great backdrop), like a nice chat. Most of the others still make those awkward pauses for the non-existent laugher.

One of the German comedy shows solved the problem by cutting to a camera man with the most "I never laugh" face possible in those pauses. It was hilarious.

I guess John Oliver needs to figure something out. There is just something missing. But hopefully his backdrop will "improve" soon.....

• Love 4

I am actually not surprised that those paintings sold well. I mean, they are not something I would put on my wall, but at the very least, they are not boring, and I can see people being drawn to them.

I wonder though if the camera man was trolling the moderator when he did the close up on the lube....

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, swanpride said:

I guess John Oliver needs to figure something out. There is just something missing. But hopefully his backdrop will "improve" soon.....

I have no complaints about how he's doing the show. I liked the previous one, too. I don't know. There's just something refreshing about the simplicity as well as not hearing laughter.

The rat erotica segment was hilarious. Thanks, marina to, for the link to that article. Nice to know that the commentators weren't clueless.

One of my favorite lines from John: If you were going to pick a holiday to break quarantine, you could do worse than one honoring the time that Jesus was supposed to stay inside… and didn't.

I also liked his phrase "shitting on your cake and choking on it too" as an analogy for those people who think ending quarantine so people can work and shop is the simple alternative to continuing quarantine.

It was funny when John said he's found that when he watches TV shows now he can't help but think about how close people are sitting next to each other, etc. I've experienced this, too. I was watching Better Things and actually cringed when three people were eating spaghetti out of the same pot. And it just feels weird to see people (in TV shows) at restaurants and bars and crowded together.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

It was funny when John said he's found that when he watches TV shows now he can't help but think about how close people are sitting next to each other, etc. I've experienced this, too. I was watching Better Things and actually cringed when three people were eating spaghetti out of the same pot. And it just feels weird to see people (in TV shows) at restaurants and bars and crowded together.

The thing that really gets me is the face-touching. Doesn't matter how old the show is, whenever someone rubs their eyes/puts their hand on their mouth/does a face-palm, it's the ONLY thing I can pay attention to.

I too loved the analogy "shitting on their cake and choking on it too." I also really appreciated the analogy John made for Trump's "suspicion" that states didn't need as many ventilators as they said they did, comparing it to a burning building (paraphrasing): "Most houses, they only have a few sinks, a shower, and some cups, and now you're saying you want HUNDREDS OF GALLONS of water?!?" SMH.

• Love 9
On 3/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, Annber03 said:

And Monday night’s guest was JohnOliver.  Hilarious. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 3/30/2020 at 12:00 AM, Lantern7 said:

He's doing it from his home. He has a white void in his house because of course he'd have a white void in his house.

Yes. I think years ago John had a white Void designed, while his then-comedy-partner, Andy Zaltzman, got a black one. 

Edited by Kromm
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Kromm said:

Yes. I think years ago John had a white Void designed, while his then-comedy-partner, Andy Zaltzman, got a black one. 

Okay, OT, But wouldn't this be a good idea to bring Zaltzman on and do a revival, of sorts, of The Bugle on LWT while this is going on?

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/2/2020 at 10:59 AM, Victor the Crab said:

Okay, OT, But wouldn't this be a good idea to bring Zaltzman on and do a revival, of sorts, of The Bugle on LWT while this is going on?

Since Zaltzman still does The Bugle without Oliver, I'd think a reunion unlikely. Frankly, in their deliberate polite English way, I've gotten the impression it wasn't an easy separation.  Oliver DID The Bugle with him after LWT launched for a while, but clearly kept running short of time to contribute. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Useful 1
On 3/30/2020 at 1:13 AM, Robert Lynch said:

I was really surprised something like that in 1992 would pass the censorship, let alone a state television show. Though I am reminded of an obscure cartoon/video game tournament show that featured the host, Johnny Arcade, who goes as over the top as he can be. Mind you, this was a New York based game show and this was the NES fan craze around 1991-92. I was very young watching this and enjoying the show at that age, but when you watch it, you think how the hell did he get a hosting job with the way he is acting. It is too funny. Best part is the kid saying "What the hell" when Johnny Arcade said he was incorrect on the answer. If John Oliver wants to dig up something, look at this one.

I lived in PA during that time.  I'm pretty sure the viewership was in the 10s, maybe the low 100s.  Seriously, I don't know anyone that watched that and, having grown up in their area, I didn't even know they did those auctions.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1