Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Namaste

• Start Topic

What a hugely significant moment when Saul grasped/twisted his "crime" ring from Chicago as he entered the restaurant to meet with Howard.  I hope no ill comes Howard's way.  He is a talented, savvy, and decent fellow.  

Well, if Kim wasn't running a bit of a con with Acker and her story in the last ep, she sure as shooting is now.  It is simply unpossible that she referred Saul to the case without understanding he would deal unethically with the situation.  If not, she would have asked for his help days before.  Such wonderful questions of the morality of it all.   Evil on evil.  Can one be right?

The self-loathing and -destructive Mike was a tough sight to take.

Loooooved the method Fring used to create his alibi.  It was great to see that kid seek his approval, or proverbially die trying.  

The courtroom scene was just so much fun.  Seeing the jovial Saul owning the room and the process as he ran his con was such a treat.  Odenkirk can be so winning when he wants to be.  I also liked how utterly impervious he seemed to be to the lashing he had just received in chambers as he came out.  Say whatever you want about saul.  The man pretty much goes about his life without much complaint.  He pays prices he agrees to pay/accepts and moves on to the next situation.

Raise your hand if you just knew that Kim would sweep up the glass that next morning.  🙂 

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Loooooved the method Fring used to create his alibi.  It was great to see that kid seek his approval, or proverbially die trying.  

Lyle seemed vaguely familiar. I had to look up what part he did/didn’t play in BB. 

9 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Raise your hand if you just knew that Kim would sweep up the glass that next morning.  🙂 

Somebody called that last week. Please come back and claim your credit!

• Love 4

I had no idea where that long opening in the junk store was going, but I don't think in a million years I would have guessed it would be for such a bit of petty gleeful maliciousness.  Oh, so NOW you've found inner peace and want to make things up to me.  But you couldn't muster up even a bit of backbone when Chuck was alive to help me out when it might have made a difference in my life and maybe kept me from going down this path?  Fuck off.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

^ I didn’t think Jimmy/Saul was so malicious! And why did we see him buy the bowling balls *before* he took the meeting with Hamlin??

Howard should have those things dusted for fingerprints 🔍

cause that was a flash forward

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Yeah, after they showed them walking through all the broken glass, and Kim uttered a tone of disgust about it, I knew she'd do it -- Even though Saul said something like "The apartment's maintenance will take care of it. That's what rent is for." Shows a difference in their personalities.

14 minutes ago, Sharper2002 said:

If I were Lyle, I’d walk across the street and apply at the KFC. Poor guy. 

Kyle looked pretty PO'd by the end of it.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

^ I didn’t think Jimmy/Saul was so malicious! And why did we see him buy the bowling balls *before* he took the meeting with Hamlin??

Howard should have those things dusted for fingerprints 🔍

Saul came across as knowing what he's doing in the courtroom, but like a total A-H to others in other situations. A minor thing is walking into that nick nack store and immediately handling things and acting like a nut case. A decent person would realize the clerk would be concerned and say something to ease concerns. But that's a minor thing compared to the way he treated Howard, especially the incident at Howard's house.  No issues there!! LOL

As to the buying of  the bowling balls at the beginning, the show sometimes shows flash forwards into the future to make us try to figure out how it gets to that point.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Love 8

I wonder if Jimmy is a fan of the David E. Kelley series The Practice. The "switch the defendant with a lookalike to provoke a bad identification" trick is something that happened in an episode of that show back in 2000. There it was presented as a desperate and foolish maneuver by the terrible lawyer the main characters were sometimes court-ordered to save from his own incompetence, so it's funny to imagine that Jimmy saw it and filed it away as a great idea he should try someday.

50 minutes ago, Pike Ludwell said:

As to the buying of  the bowling balls at the beginning, the show sometimes shows flash forwards into the future to make us try to figure out how it gets to that point.

Yep, and by bookending Jimmy's final scene, it's also helping to underline one of the main themes of the episode, which is about how all the characters are offered peace of mind and emphatically reject it, because on some level they think they don't deserve it.

• Love 9

I never watched “The Practice” and saw that “fake defendant” trick on tv a long time before 2000.

Fring is a tough taskmaster. Who knew? 😏

I love Bob Odenkirk, but that was more of Bob Odenkirk than I ever wanted to see. 😆

Where on earth is Mike?

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 2

I'm really not sure how the show wants me to read the bowling ball situation with Jimmy and Howard.  Am I supposed to root for Jimmy because he has been portrayed as the underdog for much of this series while Howard happens to be very privileged? 

I just can't.  Howard liked Jimmy but he had a strong objection from a founding partner who knew Jimmy well.  While sure standing up for Jimmy might have been a good thing to do.  Not doing so doesn't make him wrong either. 

In fact, the whole time he was offering Jimmy a job, I thought he had lost his damn mind. 

1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

But you couldn't muster up even a bit of backbone when Chuck was alive to help me out when it might have made a difference in my life and maybe kept me from going down this path?

Howard had zero ability to give Saul what he wanted which was a personal and professional bond with Chuck.   He thought Chuck wanted both and Howard was the big bad preventing that from happening.  But even if Howard had managed to do what he said he should have done tonight, Jimmy was never going to get what he wanted. Chuck's disapproval would have manifested itself in some way.

If anything was responsible for Jimmy's path, it was finding out that Chuck didn't accept him. But as much as an asshole as Chuck could be, I feel he was probably right not to trust Jimmy as a lawyer and Jimmy would have found this path either way.

Howard should have those things dusted for fingerprints

Jimmy was wearing gloves when he threw the balls over the fence.  And he probably wiped the balls for fingerprints after he bought them.

9 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I never watched “The Practice” and saw that “fake defendant” trick on tv along time before 2000.

Yeah, I think I saw it during a Perry Mason movie once.  That twist disappointed me.  It's not done a ton but it's not never done either.

2 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

But why would he need an alibi? 

Kim sweeping up the glass made me a slight bit hopeful that maybe she'll stop herself from total destruction instead of being like Jimmy who will run away from it.

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Gus plays multi-dimensional chess. 

Lalo is a wild card who had proven he wants him out of the picture and had just executed a darn smooth plot against him.  It would not be a stupid assumption by Gus to expect Lalo to implicate him to the Feds. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

What is Kim's plan? Get Jimmy to represent Acker to be a thorn in Mesa Verde's side so they give up and move to the other land site?

Feels like this could blow up in their faces. Significant others representing opposite sides has got to be a legal no-no. Best case Kim gets fired, worst case disbarred.

Edited by futurechemist
  • Love 4

Nobody portrays self sabotage and destruction better than Gilligan & Co.. I actually think Mike wants to die, and was attempting suicide by neighorhood thugs. I suspect Gus had Mike under observation, which is why Mike survived. It really gives Mike's eventual death scene and dialogue with Walter White, on the banks of the Rio Grande, a diffetent perspective

To watch Kim recklessly risk her career, for an old man who treated her so rottenly, is hard watching

I completely get why Jimmy won't take  Howard's offer. The psychological pain working where he worked in the mail room for, desperately seeking Chuck's approval and tespect. It's still a bitter thing to watch. There was a time when all Jimmy wanted in the world was to work as a lawyer at HHM with his brother, and to be around Kim. That guy is dead.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 15

Oh, Lyle!  It's not your fault that your boss is getting dealing with some issues with his other, less than legal job, which is making him more frigid and harsher than normal!  It is interesting that Gus always talked about how he wanted to keep his two jobs separated from each other, only to let one job dictate how he treats an employee at his other job.  I do wonder if this is going to lead somewhere or not.

Hank and Gomie were cracking me up: especially the way Dean Norris kept saying "culvert."

Speaking of cracking me up, Jimmy's trick with faking the defendant had me howling.  Really not sure if a stunt like that wouldn't have actually blown back on him more than it did, but I found it highly amusing.  To be fair to the judge and witness, he really did find a good replacement.

Kim tries to stick up for Acker, but gets pushed aside, so she ends up asking Jimmy to represent him.  I don't see how the Mesa Verde gang won't put the pieces together, with them dating and all.  I do hope Acker crosses paths with Wachtell, because I want to see Texan-off between Barry Corbin and Rex Linn!

Not sure what I'm suppose to think about what Jimmy did to Howard, but I definitely came away with thinking Jimmy was being a dick and felt bad for Howard.  Howard wasn't and isn't perfect, but I think he is sincere about his regret over the way he handled things and wants to do right by Jimmy.  But whatever it is truly a grudge or he simply doesn't want to be conformed or boughten, Jimmy just seems to have it out for him.  I do hope Howard comes out ahead, when this show/story is all said and done.  Admittedly, his character is probably one of the more one-note ones here, but Patrick Fabian really does a lot with it.

No Nacho this time, but I'm almost glad he got a little break.

Mike continues to spiral.  I guess he was wanting to get his ass kicked by those guys.  But I did not see what ending coming at all.  I wonder what is going down there?

• Love 8

The Gus-Lyle dynamic is changing as Gus becomes more intense and more focused on dealing with his adversaries.  When we first met Lyle (who is apparently a hardworking, loyal, reliable employee) in an earlier season of Better Call Saul, Gus was pleasant and supportive -- almost protective of his employees when they felt threatened, in an odd sort of way.  Now he seems to be losing patience with Lyle, just as we saw him lose patience with the people he dealt with in Breaking Bad.

"Majestic culvert" is a new term.  Hank and Gomie have that same sort of banter between them that Skinny Pete and Badger have.

I didn't like Saul's stunt with the bowling balls.  Howard has made mistakes, but he's not a bad guy.

Mike clearly didn't care if he died, or was hoping to die.  Quite frankly, I was shocked that those guys didn't try to kill him in the previous episode.  I never thought they'd let him walk away in one piece without at least trying to take him down.  This time, they were certainly not going to let him get by without doing some damage.

I don't understand who could have saved Mike (and taken him away somewhere to heal), that would be a surprise to the viewers.  I mean, yes, Gus would have reasons to want to save him -- but that wouldn't be surprising to us.  If Barry Goodman (the same doctor who saved Gus and Mike in Breaking Bad) is the one who patched Mike up this time, would that be a surprise?  We already saw that doctor in an earlier season of Better Call Saul. so it wouldn't be shocking to see him again. 

I don't know.  Maybe Lalo was still spying on Mike from afar, and wanted to bring him somewhere to try to pry info out of him about what Gus is doing with the lab??  That's the only thing (that I can think of) that would be a semi-surprising scenario as to how Mike got to Mexico or wherever he is now -- someone from the Salamancas taking him.  Or maybe Nacho took him and wants to get his help with something.  Could Saul/Jimmy have arranged for Mike to be taken somewhere secretive, so he can talk to him about helping with something?

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4

I once saw a version of the defendant switcheroo in a real criminal trial where I was a juror. The defense attorney had switched the position of the defendant in a lineup where a police officer was supposed to ID someone.  Or testilying, as they call it.  He was apparently told to say Number X and did, but the defendant had been moved. Then the cop went back and said he had made a mistake after his colleagues filled him in. This all came out at trial, and we acquitted the defendant even though we thought he was probably guilty. It was the only connection they had to the case. So it was risky but it worked. The defense attorney was a Legal Aid lawyer.

We convicted his codefendant, who was caught red handed in the getaway truck, whereas X had apparently managed to flee. It was an armed robbery of a Manhattan jewelry store. 

This was a great episode, I thought. I thought it was in character for Gus to demand that the fryer was cleaned properly. They do such a great job of setting us up with surprises. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Fring is a tough taskmaster. Who knew? 😏

I didn't think Gus was creating an alibi.  No one in law enforcement has connected him with the cartel, and even if they had, he would never be the person picking up the money.  Gus was extremely on edge about the DEA operation, which, if it worked perfectly, would result in a huge loss of money that would have to be explained to his higher-ups, and therefore he kept finding fault with the cleanliness of the fryers when they were perfectly clean.  I think he half-wanted the distraction of cleaning them himself.

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Exactly.  He didn't.  It was his nerves.

3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Oh, Lyle!  It's not your fault that your boss is getting dealing with some issues with his other, less than legal job, which is making him more frigid and harsher than normal!  It is interesting that Gus always talked about how he wanted to keep his two jobs separated from each other, only to let one job dictate how he treats an employee at his other job.  I do wonder if this is going to lead somewhere or not.

Yes,

• Love 6
8 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I had no idea where that long opening in the junk store was going, but I don't think in a million years I would have guessed it would be for such a bit of petty gleeful maliciousness.  Oh, so NOW you've found inner peace and want to make things up to me.  But you couldn't muster up even a bit of backbone when Chuck was alive to help me out when it might have made a difference in my life and maybe kept me from going down this path?  Fuck off.

I don't blame Howard for what happened in the past.  Nowhere in the world is one partner going to hire a senior partner's brother over the strenuous objection of that partner.   

That was 100% on Chuck and Chuck was 100% right about Jimmy.  He is a chimp with a machine gun.

At most, Howard could have told Chuck he wouldn't play the heavy for him and that he would have to tell Jimmy himself.   This probably would have ruined the relationship between the McGill brothers much sooner, but it might have prevented the escalating vitriol and tit for tat that destroyed Chuck.

I thought Jimmy was an ahole for vandalizing Howard's car.  He could have simply declined his offer or even told him off.  But, he chose the cowardly low life approach.  There is nothing left to like about Jimmy, IMO.

As for Howard, I wonder what is going on with him.  Why does he suddenly want to hire the sleaziest lawyer in ABQ and give Jimmy a hug?

Is he into some sort of Zen thing and is trying to see the best in people?  Has he joined a cult? 

One theory I have had for a while is that maybe Howard brought HHM back from the brink by taking on some shady clients, like maybe the Salamancas , Los Pollos Hermanos, or its parent company Madrigal Electromotive.

Maybe Saul Goodman is just the type of criminal lawyer the new HHM needs.

9 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

What a hugely significant moment when Saul grasped/twisted his "crime" ring from Chicago as he entered the restaurant to meet with Howard.  I hope no ill comes Howard's way.  He is a talented, savvy, and decent fellow.  

Well, if Kim wasn't running a bit of a con with Acker and her story in the last ep, she sure as shooting is now.  It is simply unpossible that she referred Saul to the case without understanding he would deal unethically with the situation.  If not, she would have asked for his help days before.  Such wonderful questions of the morality of it all.   Evil on evil.  Can one be right?

The self-loathing and -destructive Mike was a tough sight to take.

The courtroom scene was just so much fun.  Seeing the jovial Saul owning the room and the process as he ran his con was such a treat.  Odenkirk can be so winning when he wants to be.  I also liked how utterly impervious he seemed to be to the lashing he had just received in chambers as he came out.  Say whatever you want about saul.  The man pretty much goes about his life without much complaint.  He pays prices he agrees to pay/accepts and moves on to the next situation.

What did Fring need an alibi for?  

• Love 12
3 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I don't know.  Maybe Lalo was still spying on Mike from afar, and wanted to bring him somewhere to try to pry info out of him about what Gus is doing with the lab??  That's the only thing (that I can think of) that would be a semi-surprising scenario as to how Mike got to Mexico or wherever he is now -- someone from the Salamancas taking him.  Or maybe Nacho took him and wants to get his help with something.  Could Saul/Jimmy have arranged for Mike to be taken somewhere secretive, so he can talk to him about helping with something?

Lalo was the first person who came to mind for me.  He's been interested in Michael from the get-go.

I have mixed feelings about this episode.  There were plenty of enjoyable bits, and I laughed at Hank's "Let's spelunk!"  But some of it veered into the cartoonish.  I generally don't like over-the-top antics which I could take in small doses with Saul in Breaking Bad.  Some of Jimmy's old schtick was good.  Now he seems to be working overtime to be the slimiest he can be.  I recoiled at his gross pitch to Acker.  But that actually worked to make me lose all sympathy for the old guy--Kim can't make headway by honestly trying to help, but he instantly gloms on to Saul.  Gus' robotic perfectionism as a way to deal with his problem was in character but having him in the semi-darkness all the time is grating on me.

The best parts of the episodes for me were when the people were interacting genuinely, starting with Stacy and Mike.  She was doing the right thing for her daughter while caring about Mike's unraveling.  Howard wanting to make things right with Jimmy, although it was too late by a mile (and a mite self-serving).  Kim's alternative plan attempt with Paige and I forget his name.  Those things worked for me more than Saul jacking up the two 50% off defendants and the courtroom switcheroo. 

4 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

One theory I have had for a while is that maybe Howard brought HHM back from the brink by taking on some shady clients, like maybe the Salamancas , Los Pollos Hermanos, or its parent company Madrigal Electromotive.

That is very interesting.  I took from Howard's license plate and the episode title that he was just trying to travel a new path to serenity, expiate some guilt, that sort of thing.  But it really doesn't make a lot of sense for Howard to go to great lengths to get a loose cannon back into HHM just when he has gotten the firm back on good footing.  There must be something else in play.

• Love 6

I really have no interest in the Acker case or Kim's self created angst over it and her "horrible" life as a hugely successful banking lawyer, who gets to spend most of her time doing the pro bono work she claims to love.

Acker is a cantankerous old jerk who leased his land instead of buying to save money.  His landlord obviously valued the flexibility of the long term lease with a buyout option and wouldn't have leased the lots without that option.

Saul's stunt in the court is one of the oldest and least realistic movie/tv courtroom cliches.  The writing on this show has declined.

I haven't enjoyed Fring at all this season.  I think writing him as just a dick for the sake of being a dick makes him less interesting and is inconsistent with his BB character.  I thought the image of him being a reasonable, generous businessman and employer...until you crossed him, at which point he would turn into the Devil, was much more interesting.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Howard had zero ability to give Saul what he wanted which was a personal and professional bond with Chuck.   He thought Chuck wanted both and Howard was the big bad preventing that from happening.  But even if Howard had managed to do what he said he should have done tonight, Jimmy was never going to get what he wanted. Chuck's disapproval would have manifested itself in some way.

If anything was responsible for Jimmy's path, it was finding out that Chuck didn't accept him. But as much as an asshole as Chuck could be, I feel he was probably right not to trust Jimmy as a lawyer and Jimmy would have found this path either way.

All true.  But from Jimmy's standpoint, you can see how where his anger at Howard is coming from.  He's never properly dealt with Chuck's death or all the operatic dysfunction that preceded it and now Chuck is dead so he can't take it up with him, while Howard is still right there.  For Howard to now be offering up the thing he thought he wanted most then after everything that's happened and where he is now and acting like that somehow squares it has to be galling.  Jimmy's made all the choices he's made and that's on him, but everything from the increasing sleaziness to the birth of Saul Goodman starts with Chuck rejecting him but never being upfront about that and Howard's willingness to cover for it.  As this incident illustrates, Jimmy has that inclination to avoidance in common with Chuck or you wouldn't have Jimmy chucking bowling balls onto Howard's property instead of just outright saying are you fucking kidding me, no I don't want any part of HHM now as some part of your mental health rehabilitation.

I love that the writing offers enough shading that it's not a black and white issue.  Chuck was right about Jimmy in the long run but Chuck was an asshole.  Jimmy has always had Saul Goodman in him, but there were points along the way where different choices might have resulted in a very different outcome.  I think that's what Howard was trying to allude to in bringing up the scholarship candidate from Winner.  While everyone else at the table was focusing on the "right" candidate with the "right" qualifications, Jimmy saw a kid who needed a break not to go down a darker path.  The problem is Howard's fix-it offer comes way too late.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

If Gus did use poor Lyle as an alibi against a frame-up by Lalo with the Feds, what are the odds that poor Lyle will end up dead, perhaps in a culvert?
BTW, Google’s search algorithms have already caught up since last night when this episode aired to search for definition, word origin, and etymology when you begin a search for “culvert,” and just a glance at the first page of results shows lots of things like that the “OED calls it `A recent word of obscure origin.‘”  
Nice one, Vince Gilligan, you masterful wordsmith, you!

1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

The best parts of the episodes for me were when the people were interacting genuinely, starting with Stacy and Mike.  She was doing the right thing for her daughter while caring about Mike's unraveling.

Oooo, I don’t think Stacey was being entirely genuine with Mike. I interpreted Stacy’s speech to Mike to mean that Kaylee was still afraid of Mike, and that although Stacey believed Kaylee could get past that fear, and that Stacey wanted Kaylee get over her fear of Mike’s temper, right now it was not going to happen because Mike was not “himself.” I think Stacey told a white lie to protect Kaylee psychologically. 
I might not have noticed this had my streaming of the show not been interrupted at that point and so I rewatched it Stacey speaking several times, heh. BTW, she has a ponytail about 10 times longer than Kim’s. 
And now I’m thinking of BCS ponytails being the equivalent of Pinocchio noses. 

I wonder if Saul’s bowling balls will break Howard’s newly-found Namaste/inner peace? If nothing else, Saul sure demonstrated that he had a big set of balls, heh. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm really not sure how the show wants me to read the bowling ball situation with Jimmy and Howard.  Am I supposed to root for Jimmy because he has been portrayed as the underdog for much of this series while Howard happens to be very privileged? 

I just can't.  Howard liked Jimmy but he had a strong objection from a founding partner who knew Jimmy well.  While sure standing up for Jimmy might have been a good thing to do.  Not doing so doesn't make him wrong either. 

In fact, the whole time he was offering Jimmy a job, I thought he had lost his damn mind. 

Jimmy was wearing gloves when he threw the balls over the fence.  And he probably wiped the balls for fingerprints after he bought them.

Yeah, I think I saw it during a Perry Mason movie once.  That twist disappointed me.  It's not done a ton but it's not never done either.

Kim sweeping up the glass made me a slight bit hopeful that maybe she'll stop herself from total destruction instead of being like Jimmy who will run away from it.

12 hours ago, futurechemist said:

What is Kim's plan? Get Jimmy to represent Acker to be a thorn in Mesa Verde's side so they give up and move to the other land site?

Feels like this could blow up in their faces. Significant others representing opposite sides has got to be a legal no-no. Best case Kim gets fired, worst case disbarred.

12 hours ago, Bannon said:

Nobody portrays self sabotage and destruction better than Gilligan & Co.. I actually think Mike wants to die, and was attempting suicide by neighorhood thugs. I suspect Gus had Mike under observation, which is why Mike survived. It really gives Mike's eventual death scene and dialogue with Walter White, on the banks of the Rio Grande, a diffetent perspective

To watch Kim recklessly risk her career, for an old man who treated her so rottenly, is hard watching

I completely get why Jimmy won't take  Howard's offer. The psychological pain working where he worked in the mail room for, desperately seeking Chuck's approval and tespect. It's still a bitter thing to watch. There was a time when all Jimmy wanted in the world was to work as a lawyer at HHM with his brother, and to be around Kim. That guy is dead.

7 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't blame Howard for what happened in the past.  Nowhere in the world is one partner going to hire a senior partner's brother over the strenuous objection of that partner.   

That was 100% on Chuck and Chuck was 100% right about Jimmy.  He is a chimp with a machine gun.

At most, Howard could have told Chuck he wouldn't play the heavy for him and that he would have to tell Jimmy himself.   This probably would have ruined the relationship between the McGill brothers much sooner, but it might have prevented the escalating vitriol and tit for tat that destroyed Chuck.

I thought Jimmy was an ahole for vandalizing Howard's car.  He could have simply declined his offer or even told him off.  But, he chose the cowardly low life approach.  There is nothing left to like about Jimmy, IMO.

As for Howard, I wonder what is going on with him.  Why does he suddenly want to hire the sleaziest lawyer in ABQ and give Jimmy a hug?

Is he into some sort of Zen thing and is trying to see the best in people?  Has he joined a cult? 

Maybe Saul Goodman is just the type of criminal lawyer the new HHM needs.

What did Fring need an alibi for?  

6 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I really have no interest in the Acker case or Kim's self created angst over it and her "horrible" life as a hugely successful banking lawyer, who gets to spend most of her time doing the pro bono work she claims to love.

Acker is a cantankerous old jerk who leased his land instead of buying to save money.  His landlord obviously valued the flexibility of the long term lease with a buyout option and wouldn't have leased the lots without that option.

Saul's stunt in the court is one of the oldest and least realistic movie/tv courtroom cliches.  The writing on this show has declined.

I haven't enjoyed Fring at all this season.  I think writing him as just a dick for the sake of being a dick makes him less interesting and is inconsistent with his BB character.  I thought the image of him being a reasonable, generous businessman and employer...until you crossed him, at which point he would turn into the Devil, was much more interesting.

I love Gilliigan and the character of Kim. However, I’m kind of sick of the trope that all lawyers who help the little guys are saviors and those who work for big corporations are evil. Not all little guys deserve to be saved and corporations can provide jobs and economic prosperity.

I am weird because I really loved the scenes of Kim doing work for the bank. You really never see that aspect of lawyering on tv. I do not enjoy the scenes of her explaining to her pro bono clients why things like having a tongue ring in court or not wearing a tie do not make the best impression.

If she hates working for the bank so much, she should just go ahead and quit and go work for a nonprofit or something else that gives her the meaning that she craves. She does not live an extravagant life and does not seem to be much motivated by material gain. Kim is a talented lawyer and has a lot of options in life...this angst is unnecessary.

Acker seem to me like a mean bully and a crybaby. He has finally found someone to big to bully in the bank,

Jimmy has always had a weird and fascinating relationship with Howard.

Howard has always seemed to appreciate Jimmy’s hustle while Jimmy has always despised Howard. Jimmy sees him as the privileged snob that doesn’t realize he was born on third base.

However, we have been shown that Howard is a pretty decent guy and Jimmy is kind of a scum bag. Jimmy was horrible to Davis and Main even before Chuck’s death.  I really don’t know what to make of the bowling balls.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 17

Interesting episode.  Did anyone foresee Kim bringing Jimmy in to work his magic on Acker?  Frankly, I'm peeved at myself for not doing so.  I was too enamored by the sight of Brenda's dad to think about what she might do next.  

I think Gus pulled his little exercise of power over Lyle because he felt powerless from the DEA taking his money.  

If Howard has ulterior motives for what he is doing, they are very, very well-camouflaged.  

I suppose Mike is in the clutches of the Salamancas.  I was not expecting the Spanish Inquisition.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

This!  I work in real estate development and the amount of $ we spend improving infrastructure (roads, storm drainage, etc) which the neighborhood benefits from, when we develop a subdivision or a retail center is a factor no one thinks about when they call us scum bags. Everyone swears they won't shop or live where new developments go, but there they are, in that store or buying that house. 

Everyone's home, shopping center, etc was once a field or woods.   The head guy at Mesa Verde is kind of a dick, but look at the jobs they're bringing to the area.  I'd be more pissed at Acker for holding it up than Kim for doing her job. 

And if you lease land, a home or an apt, read the lease. And there is no fine print. It's all the same font size. 

I'm glad Kim cleaned up the glass. 

I know Gus is a monster but that was kind of a dick move to take out his anger at Salamanca on poor Lyle.   I hope he gives him a bonus for that bullshit. He knows Lyle is an excellent employee. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 16

This episode left me feeling as cantankerous as that old dick Acker.  I didn't like Saul's bowling ball antics because I didn't think Howard deserved it.  I'm tired of Kim trying to figure out if she wants be a straight lawyer or a con artist like Saul.  

I was so afraid for poor Lyle.  I wish he had called Gus and resigned because I'm sure he could have found another job managing a fast food joint.  

Edited by Ohwell
Poor Lyle wasn't in BB episodes
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I love Gillian and the character of Kim. However, I’m kind of sick of the trope that all lawyers who help the little guys are saviors and those who work for big corporations are evil. Not all little guys deserve to be saved and corporations can provide jobs and economic prosperity.

I am weird because I really loved the scenes of Kim doing work for the bank. You really never see that aspect of lawyering on tv. I do not enjoy the scenes of her explaining to her pro bono clients why things like having a tongue ring in court or not wearing a tie do not make the best impression.

If she hates working for the bank so much, she should just go ahead and quit and go work for a nonprofit or something else that gives her the meaning that she craves. She does not live an extravagant life and does not seem to be much motivated by material gain. Kim is a talented lawyer and has a lot of options in life...this angst is unnecessary.

Acker seem to me like a mean bully and a crybaby. He has finally found someone to big to bully in the bank,

Jimmy has always had a weird and fascinating relationship with Howard.

Howard has always seemed to appreciate Jimmy’s hustle while Jimmy has always despised Howard. Jimmy sees him as the privileged snob that doesn’t realize he was born on third base.

However, we have been shown that Howard is a pretty decent guy and Jimmy is kind of a scum bag. Jimmy was horrible to Davis and Main even before Chuck’s death.  I really don’t know what to make of the bowling balls.

What I really appreciated about the Ackers story arc is that they made Ackers a selfcentered jackass, who thinks he is entitled to ignore the agreements he enters into. It makes Kim's impending self destruction all the more pointless; Ackers really isn't someone worth saving by magnanimous effort, ethical (the proposed land swap) or unethical (sending Jimmy to sow his chaos). He's just a mean jerk who wants to break a contract. Will Kim go over the falls, or will she pull back from this course of self destruction, which at this point means seperating from Jimmy? I'm hoping for the latter, but given the sadness at the heart of this show, that isn't the way to bet.

I also love the fact that Jimmy's tough pep talk to Howard in the wake of Chuck's death made a positive impression on Howard, and spurred Howard towards real change. It's an empirical mistake, and dramatically uninteresting, to see any individual's behavior as inevitable or unalterable. Yes, people have tendencies and traits, but they also are affected by their environment. A lot of S&P 500 CEOs, for instance, are people who meet the definition of clinical sociopathy. They have just learned to channel it in a way that results in society rewarding them.

You really lose sight of an essential element of Jimmy if you forget that he was a guy who was willing to defer gratification for years, working in HHM's mail room, when he thought he could have it all; a career working with Chuck, with Chuck respecting him, and a loving relationship with Kim. The sadness of this story lies in Jimmy being willing to risk ruining that loving relationship with Kim, because he is so angry and grief-filled about what he had hoped for with his brother turned out to be a complete pipe-dream. Hey, Jimmy? Miliions and millions of people desperately want one person in their life with whom to have a genuinely loving relationship. You have it, and you're going to burn it down, because you insist upon being bitter and angry about your dead brother. Really sad.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Oooo, I don’t think Stacey was being entirely genuine with Mike. I interpreted Stacy’s speech to Mike to mean that Kaylee was still afraid of Mike, and that although Stacey believed Kaylee could get past that fear, and that Stacey wanted Kaylee get over her fear of Mike’s temper, right now it was not going to happen because Mike was not “himself.” I think Stacey told a white lie to protect Kaylee psychologically. 

I think she handled it really diplomatically.  She is concerned about his current state and not only wants to protect Kaylee but be attentive to his inner turmoil.  I would have been more direct, but I don't think she was being disingenuous.  She unwittingly set him towards more self-destruction.  He has to punish himself but he can't kill himself because he needs to amass money for Kaylee.  Stacey doesn't know any of that of course, and if she knew the half of it, I think they would come to a real parting of the ways.

53 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Yes, Jimmy is becoming much more of a scum bag than not.  The bowling balls were like the Chicago sunroof, except not even a little funny.  This is where I see cartoonishness.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Yes, Jimmy is becoming much more of a scum bag than not.  The bowling balls were like the Chicago sunroof, except not even a little funny.  This is where I see cartoonishness.

I'm sure this will play out, as I trust these writers, but let's not forget Jimmy is self destructive. Howard is kinda weak, it seems his father and Chuck ran the firm and he was there due to family, and he knows Jimmy was fucked over re the will, but that wasn't his doing, that was Chuck. 

I agree with someone up thread, Kim if you hate working for Mesa Verde, then quit.  You don't have a huge mortgage payment, you rent a somewhat modest apartment. You'll be fine. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Saul should be happy and just move on.   His inability to let things go isn't doing him any good.   Plus, if Howard finds out that Saul damaged his car, Howard will realize that he was right from the very beginning about Saul.

The best revenge Saul can have is to live well, but he just can't seem to live without chaos in his life.   He thrives on it.

Yes, Saul really just can't let go, can he?  His need to take revenge on Chuck with the malpractice insurance carrier led to Chuck's death.  

• Love 3

The more I think about it, the more I don't want this story to be overwhelmingly bleak, and Howard isn't enough of a major character to have his positive growth overcome all the other personal disasters taking place. I really want Kim to pull out her self destructive dive, realize that a life with Jimmy can only end in disaster, and thus break things off with him That doesnt seem to be where we are heading, however. I think she's going into the abyss.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Bannon said:

The more I think about it, the more I don't want this story to be overwhelmingly bleak, and Howard isn't enough of a major character to have his positive growth overcome all the other personal disasters taking place. I really want Kim to pull out her self destructive dive, realize that a life with Jimmy can only end in disaster, and thus break things off with him That doesnt seem to be where we are heading, however. I think she's going into the abyss.

I'm still hoping Kim and Howard go off together to do something like create a rehab retreat that focuses on mindfulness.
Not likely, though, huh?

20 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think she handled it really diplomatically.  She is concerned about his current state and not only wants to protect Kaylee but be attentive to his inner turmoil.  I would have been more direct, but I don't think she was being disingenuous.  She unwittingly set him towards more self-destruction.  He has to punish himself but he can't kill himself because he needs to amass money for Kaylee.  Stacey doesn't know any of that of course, and if she knew the half of it, I think they would come to a real parting of the ways.

I agree with your more nuanced (than my) summation here, @ShadowFacts, although I think Stacey might be fooling herself a bit too.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

This episode left me feeling as cantankerous as that old dick Acker.  I didn't like Saul's bowling ball antics because I didn't think Howard deserved it.  I'm tired of Kim trying to figure out if she wants be a straight lawyer or a con artist like Saul.  

I was so afraid for poor Lyle.  I wish he had called Gus and resigned because I'm sure he could have found another job managing a fast food joint.   Alas, I think he's still there because I think I saw him in some BB episodes.

I agree, Saul had no reason to vandalize Howard's car.  But, I think it is consistent with where he character is.  He is a lawless, selfish, vindictive jerk.   There is almost nothing left of good side of Jimmy McGill.  

I totally agree about Kim.  Dump Saul and play it straight or join Saul Goodman & Associates and be his scam partner and gun moll.   All her back and forth is getting tedious.  

It seems like she finds both the corporate law and the pro bono criminal law unfulfilling.  She only seems happy after she pulls off a stupid scam.    

I really don't buy the Acker case as the type of heartbreaking case that would lead her to do something stupid to jeopardize her career.  If some poor family was being tossed out of their home without just compensation, I could see it.  But, who cares about crybaby contract breaking, obnoxious, Acker?

I don't think Lyle was in BB.  This is good as it adds to the tension in scenes he is in.  It is possible he could be killed by the Salmancas for not letting them into the employees only area or by Fring if he accidentally finds some meth in the chicken batter (or doesn't clean out the fryer adequately).  

• Love 6

Possible unpopular opinion, but I don't hate Jimmy/Saul for throwing the bowling balls.  I just see it as more insight into his pitiful condition.  He is one of my all-time favorite troubled characters.  I have lots of sympathy for him.  Credit to the writers and Odenkirk. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't think Lyle was in BB.  This is good as it adds to the tension in scenes he is in.  It is possible he could be killed by the Salmancas for not letting them into the employees only area or by Fring if he accidentally finds some meth in the chicken batter (or doesn't clean out the fryer adequately).  

I believe you're right.  I must have seen him in earlier seasons of BCS, but I think the manager in BB was a female.  

Now I'm really concerned for the poor guy.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I agree about Stacey.  She was being diplomatic and keeping Kaylee away from Mike while trying to convince him to get help or straighten himself out.  

The bowling ball thing needs a catchy name, like Chicago Sunroof or Squat Cobbler.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm still hoping Kim and Howard go off together to do something like create a rehab retreat that focuses on mindfulness.
Not likely, though, huh?

I agree with your more nuanced (than my) summation here, @ShadowFacts, although I think Stacey might be fooling herself a bit too.

I've speculated in the past that Kim dumping Jimmy for Howard would be the most devastating blow that could be delivered to Jimmy, but it would appear that Jimmy is pretty much already dead, and reborn as Saul, and Howard and Kim don't seem to have a path to reconciliation. On the other hand, I think Jimmy has yet to deliberately participate in getting somebody killed, so he still isn't quite Saul in terms of depravity. Kim dumping him, for Howard or not, would likely be enough to be the final straw.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Going to respond to this in whole because I agree with much of it.

I think Fring was creating an alibi for certain, but the method seemed out of character,  I would expect him to be more of the kind/loyal/demanding boss we have seen, even if the drop deal was rattling him.  I thought Lyle was well played - many people can get strange about seeking approval from tough bosses.  Fring as we have seen him would be the type to inspire such loyalty.  

The Acker subplot just doesn't ring true, and Kim jeopardizing her ethics for his sake is just too much.  She's an experienced lawyer at this point, taking hard lines against sympathetic people is something you learn to get over in the first two years of your career,  Furthermore, Acker isn't that sympathetic.  It's just off, to me.  Also Kim doing pro bono stuff to the extent she does is just not realistic.  

I'm just not quite enjoying this season as much.  Kim is compromising herself constantly, for little or no gain.  She is my favourite character, and I think we all fear her fate to some extent.  Right now she just isn't sympathetic or believable to me.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

It seems like she finds both the corporate law and the pro bono criminal law unfulfilling.  She only seems happy after she pulls off a stupid scam. 

Good point, she is able to have laser focus on corporate and pro bono, drilling down to detail and what needs to be done.  But fulfilling, I don't know.  She does find some kind of thrill with the seamy things or she wouldn't be with Jimmy this long.  If she had real discomfort with the crap he pulls, she would be moving on from him by now.  She was okay with him changing his doing business as name, kind of side-eyed his immediate success with the 50% off deal, but doesn't verbalize whatever negativity she might feel with his harebrained moves.  I'd like to hear her say how she feels for a change rather than just go smoke a cigarette or break bottles.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I really don't buy the Acker case as the type of heartbreaking case that would lead her to do something stupid to jeopardize her career.  If some poor family was being tossed out of their home without just compensation, I could see it.  But, who cares about crybaby contract breaking, obnoxious, Acker?

36 minutes ago, Tighthead said:

The Acker subplot just doesn't ring true, and Kim jeopardizing her ethics for his sake is just too much.  She's an experienced lawyer at this point, taking hard lines against sympathetic people is something you learn to get over in the first two years of your career,  Furthermore, Acker isn't that sympathetic.  It's just off, to me.  Also Kim doing pro bono stuff to the extent she does is just not realistic.  

I'm fascinated by this, though, because they've obviously intentionally created Acker to be an asshole. Kim herself even went off on him and laid out exactly this fact, that he signed a contract, that nobody's mistreating him, he just wants to get the good parts of the deal and have a tantrum when it comes time to deal with the parts he doesn't like.

And yet here she is working herself into a tizzy about it, going farther than she has for any of her pro bono clients. If they'd wanted to just set up a story where Kim was determined to do the right thing they'd use one of those people and make them more genuinely sympathetic or even genuinely in the right. But rather than give her some kid who was misidentified and beaten up by police or some girl doing something illegal to support her family, they give her some guy who's sitting there demanding free stuff he's not entitled to and insulting her when she shows him compassion.

So obviously they decided that *this* situation is what would bring this out in Kim and I'm hoping there's some character reveal that will explain that.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

But from Jimmy's standpoint, you can see how where his anger at Howard is coming from.  He's never properly dealt with Chuck's death or all the operatic dysfunction that preceded it and now Chuck is dead so he can't take it up with him, while Howard is still right there.

But Howard took blame on himself for Chuck's suicide and confessed his guilt to Jimmy. This was at a time when Jimmy knew it was his own actions that pushed him to desperation. Namaste was Howard's attempt to reconcile all of this. He could have blamed Jimmy and his well known feud as the cause for Chuck's death. It is a dick move for Jimmy to take revenge on Howard. Jimmy was not entitled to get a job at Howard's firm, especially when the other partner says no.

Howard deserves the Aggravated Bowling Ball Tossing for the way he treated Kim, and the fact that he wouldn't approach her with the job offer. (or is Hwd dickishly just trying to get a McGill back at HMM?)

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Tighthead said:

Going to respond to this in whole because I agree with much of it.

I think Fring was creating an alibi for certain, but the method seemed out of character,  I would expect him to be more of the kind/loyal/demanding boss we have seen, even if the drop deal was rattling him.  I thought Lyle was well played - many people can get strange about seeking approval from tough bosses.  Fring as we have seen him would be the type to inspire such loyalty.  

I'm just not quite enjoying this season as much.  Kim is compromising herself constantly, for little or no gain.  She is my favourite character, and I think we all fear her fate to some extent.  Right now she just isn't sympathetic or believable to me.

I agree, as far as not quite understanding why Kim is acting so self destructively, as opposed to have been given pretty clear insight as to why Jimmy and Mike take that path. Maybe that will change as the story unfolds. We've never had any explicit flashbacks with Kim's previous life, like we have had with Jimmy, Chuck, and Mike, so she is a much more enigmatic character. She needs to become less so if her self sabotage is to make more sense. Or just have her turn from that path, and act in what is her more obvious self interest.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

But Howard took blame on himself for Chuck's suicide and confessed his guilt to Jimmy. This was at a time when Jimmy knew it was his own actions that pushed him to desperation. Namaste was Howard's attempt to reconcile all of this. He could have blamed Jimmy and his well known feud as the cause for Chuck's death. It is a dick move for Jimmy to take revenge on Howard. Jimmy was not entitled to get a job at Howard's firm, especially when the other partner says no.

Howard deserves the Aggravated Bowling Ball Tossing for the way he treated Kim, and the fact that he wouldn't approach her with the job offer. (or is Hwd dickishly just trying to get a McGill back at HMM?)

Sure it's a dick move by Jimmy, but being a dick is only occasionally rational; it's not that Howard is responsible for Chuck's much more awful (towards Jimmy) behavior, but Chuck's dead, and Howard's not, and Jimmy's rage is not a logical creature.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

This!  I work in real estate development and the amount of $ we spend improving infrastructure (roads, storm drainage, etc) which the neighborhood benefits from, when we develop a subdivision or a retail center is a factor no one thinks about when they call us scum bags. Everyone swears they won't shop or live where new developments go, but there they are, in that store or buying that house. 

Everyone's home, shopping center, etc was once a field or woods.   The head guy at Mesa Verde is kind of a dick, but look at the jobs they're bringing to the area.  I'd be more pissed at Acker for holding it up than Kim for doing her job. 

And if you lease land, a home or an apt, read the lease. And there is no fine print. It's all the same font size. 

I'm glad Kim cleaned up the glass. 

I know Gus is a monster but that was kind of a dick move to take out his anger at Salamanca on poor Lyle.   I hope he gives him a bonus for that bullshit. He knows Lyle is an excellent employee. 

Mesa Verde Kevin is fine. He's running a business, which means you can't please everybody. I've not seen any evidence of mistreating employees or being fraudulent with customers, so if Mesa Verde is thriving, it means Kevin's work is a huge net positive for society. He was willing to think outside the box, and hire Kim as a one woman law firm.

Until this season, Kevin, by what we've seen was a much better business manager than Howard.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, Tighthead said:

I took Fring's behavior as being his attempt at containment of rage -- he knew the money was going to be confiscated, and that he would be in trouble with the cartel.  And he sure doesn't want Lalo getting the upper hand.  I don't think he was thinking about his employee at all. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7