Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Namaste

• Start Topic

The prior tooth brushing montage was in a series of clips that were designed to show Kim and Jimmy growing more distant over the span of many months. Also, they were shown on a split screen, showing them as separate. Here, they were together in one shot, and with coordinated actions. We also saw, for the first time, Jimmy nude in the bed with Kim, this has to be a clue about greater intimacy between them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, scenario said:

Are they sure to believe that Kim asked Saul to help? They live together. Maybe she just mentioned the case and her strong headed boyfriend took it upon himself to help. I don't think that Saul would think twice about lying to help her if it didn't hurt him. 

That's another good idea.  But it would make Kim look bad that her boyfriend has taken on a client to fight her client.  

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I really don't care why they were brushing their teeth together.  I just thought it was gross.  YMMV

Sadly, as are Kim and Jimmy.  

• Love 1

Something that I took for granted in past episode is that Kim gets incredibly turned on whenever Jimmy does one of his schemes. She reveals a passion that we do not really see in any other aspect of her life. I guess that is why we saw naked Jimmy this episode. She just can not resist that aspect of him.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe she’s in prison?

That would an excellent way to put Kim on the sidelines during the 2 years of BB.  Prison sentences for white collar crime are generally pretty short, so she could get out in time to meet up with Jimmy.  

For that matter, using Kim would be an excellent way for the Feds to try to get Jimmy out of hiding.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't want her to go to jail either though.

I could imagine her in a minimum security prison helping drug dealers’ girlfriends study for diplomas and degrees and help them renegotiate their sentences and such. 
But do all lawyers who go to prison get disbarred? 😢

• Love 1
On 3/13/2020 at 3:00 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Public fenders. They're free, man!

I think Gus was using Lyle both as an alibi and as a restraint. It seemed he was struggling to have to sit there waiting for the phone call. Lyle gave him an easy excuse.

What was the ballpoint pen thing Saul did with Mr. Acker's gate? Was that to avoid leaving fingerprints?

Visual aids. Oy, I hope that wasn't an actual photograph of said act of bestiality, though I think back then it was probaby easier to find that kind of stuff on the internet. In the earlier days it was pretty much like the wild west.

Saul must've assumed Howard didn't have security cameras outside his house. (Or maybe home security systems that could record movement weren't as common then?)

Yep. She basically contracted the job out since she couldn't do more herself without risking exposure and firing from her job.

I think this too. They'll hide it until there's an opportune time to reveal it. Kind of like the bait and switch Saul did in court.

I think Saul just needed something to reach the latch to open the gate.  I believe Kim did something similar in a previous episode.  

Maybe Howard had cameras that covered inside the walls, but not outside. 

I doubt Kim and Saul will ever intentionally reveal his involvement in the Acker case.  I can't see how it wouldn't end Kim's career at S&C.  If they do reveal it, as opposed to them getting caught, I think it would mean Kim decided to leave S&C and join Saul.

• Useful 1
On 3/10/2020 at 2:09 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Because Lalo would use his new connection with Hank and Gomez to put out the word that he was.

If one thinks about it, many moves are made which never result in any particular significance.  A very great problem with being a bigtime mobster is the unceasing need to engage in precautions.  One must always be thinking ahead and taking measures which are taxing and often, wasteful.

Some in this thread have theorized that Lalo had Mike tailed in the hopes of something useful developing.  Boy, has it, if true.  This would be an example of the allocation of resources based on reason, not specific data.  Gus did not survive Chilean machinations and rise to his position in the cartel by merrily rolling along responding to only obvious threats.  He anticipated issues others may have missed.  He may have even created a few.  😉

But, Lalo is focused on cutting off Fring's money, so he will lose Eladio's favor when he stops sending cash South.  

Also, since Gus and Mike got the Regalo Helado truck busted by the Boarder Patrol and the El Griego Guiñado ice cream shop got raided by the DEA, the Salamancas started depending upon Gus and his LPH trucks to smuggle product over the boarder from Mexico.  

I think Lalo wants Gus to continue smuggling drugs for him, but to be financially strained so he can't keep being Eladio's favorite.  

• Love 2
On 3/10/2020 at 11:09 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

What would the alibi be for?  That he wasn't the guy scurrying through the culvert?  Why would anyone think that he was?

Because Lalo would use his new connection with Hank and Gomez to put out the word that he was.

That makes some sense.  I wonder if Lalo didn't put himself in some peril with this stunt.  If Gus was arrested by the DEA, he might name Lalo as well.  There was also the possibility the pickup guy might squeal.  I suppose Lalo was relying on their good sense not to talk.  

Gus's arrest, at the very least, would cut off Lalo's own ability to get product from south of the border.  Maybe that was the plan--to get the cartel to start using Salamanca trucks again. 

(Namaste to anyone who floated this idea already.)

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

But, Lalo is focused on cutting off Fring's money, so he will lose Eladio's favor when he stops sending cash South.  

I think Lalo wants Gus to continue smuggling drugs for him, but to be financially strained so he can't keep being Eladio's favorite.  

I fully agree with the aims you outlined.  The very great problem, especially in the business they have chosen, is that events can rapidly overtake rationality.  Lalo is just stupid/reckless enough to have even started this whole ball rolling.  He has already exposed himself and Eladio in service of his rivalry - not business concerns.  It would have been far easier to simply dispose of Krazy-8.  There was no compelling need to incorporate Gus and forfeit that massive cash.  Yet, Lalo did it.  Gus knows it. 

So......Gus the "actuary" sought to minimize risks (he figured out how to have the mule escape, for example).  How could Gus doubt that Lalo would further try to leverage this "opportunity" to take him down?  An ultimate survivor would never simply allow it.  He would take as many reasonable measures as possible.  All-American Kyle is one heckuva character and fact witness to have.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I fully agree with the aims you outlined.  The very great problem, especially in the business they have chosen, is that events can rapidly overtake rationality.  Lalo is just stupid/reckless enough to have even started this whole ball rolling.  He has already exposed himself and Eladio in service of his rivalry - not business concerns.  It would have been far easier to simply dispose of Krazy-8.  There was no compelling need to incorporate Gus and forfeit that massive cash.  Yet, Lalo did it.  Gus knows it. 

So......Gus the "actuary" sought to minimize risks (he figured out how to have the mule escape, for example).  How could Gus doubt that Lalo would further try to leverage this "opportunity" to take him down?  An ultimate survivor would never simply allow it.  He would take as many reasonable measures as possible.  All-American Kyle is one heckuva character and fact witness to have.

I don't agree that Lalo is your average stupid reckless Salamanca.  He's a bit more than that.  Lalo is not interested in exposing Gus, ratting him out, that would take down the whole operation.  He just wants to disrupt.  Gus doesn't know what Lalo's next move will be yet but he has Nacho by the short hairs and knows he will report.  (Just typing that reminds me of how screwed Nacho is going to be.)  I think if he really needed an alibi, being the meticulous businessman he would have security cameras that could prove his whereabouts. 

• Love 3
On 3/10/2020 at 6:25 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I haven't enjoyed Fring at all this season.  I think writing him as just a dick for the sake of being a dick makes him less interesting and is inconsistent with his BB character. 

Funny, "dick" was the very first adjective that came to mind while watching his interactions with Lyle.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:27 PM, Ohwell said:

I'm not ashamed to say that I don't even completely understand the Lalo/Gus/Salamanca/Eladio/Crazy8/Saul shenanigans. 

I don't either. I can barely keep track of which family is which and who's on who's side, much less who's playing who and the rest of the shenanigans. It makes those scenes less interesting to me because I know I don't have a prayer of keeping up.

On 3/10/2020 at 2:13 PM, JudyObscure said:

I  miss the Gus Fring who seemed to really care about his chicken restaurant.  

And interestingly, the Gus who cared about his restaurant is way in the future from where we are today! Are we expected to believe that he had a massive attitude adjustment in the BB years?

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Funny, "dick" was the very first adjective that came to mind while watching his interactions with Lyle.

I don't either. I can barely keep track of which family is which and who's on who's side, much less who's playing who and the rest of the shenanigans. It makes those scenes less interesting to me because I know I don't have a prayer of keeping up.

And interestingly, the Gus who cared about his restaurant is way in the future from where we are today! Are we expected to believe that he had a massive attitude adjustment in the BB years?

I don't think there's been a massive attitude adjustment - the caring Gus was fully depicted in earlier seasons of BCS - particularly when Hector came to the restaurant and frightened Gus' employees. The scene, imo, was showing just HOW stressed Gus was. He has always been shown as a caring employer of his restaurant employees, and to act like that with Lyle was out of character for him. He's having a really bad day.

• Love 5