Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Pimemento

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please be sure to read Notes from the Mod before posting in an episode topic. Thank you!

• Start Topic

Jason Mantzoukas must either have some really good dirt on Schur/Daniels/Goor, or the roots of that friendship run deep into the Earth. His odd brand of aggressive zaniness didn’t fit into Parks and Recreation, only worked on The Good Place because he was used sparingly and it was such an offbeat universe, and it doesn’t work here. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Jason Mantzoukas must either have some really good dirt on Schur/Daniels/Goor, or the roots of that friendship run deep into the Earth. His odd brand of aggressive zaniness didn’t fit into Parks and Recreation, only worked on The Good Place because he was used sparingly and it was such an offbeat universe, and it doesn’t work here. 

I don't know. I feel like he works in small doses. Like yes he would be too much as a series regular but in the current set-up where he just appears once or twice a season his craziness becomes a breath of fresh air.

• Love 23
On 2/8/2020 at 10:40 AM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

I can understand why he's not everyone's cup of tea. I didn't think his character fit in Legion, but I like him in everything else I've seen.

• Love 1

I don't know what made me laugh harder: Jake's Harry Potter sex jokes or Pimento's nuttiness.

No, wait, it was the seminar fight. "YOU SUCK!" "AS DO YOU AND YOU AND YOU!" LMAO never change, Holt.

Was Brad the seminar leader Trent from Crazy Ex Girlfriend?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 15

Important revelations in this one:

--Jake's Harry Potter references have reached maximum -capacity weirdness.

--Finding Dory is a great common unifier understood by all.

--Relax, there's no chest bomb, it's just Pimento's watch. (Just take it off him, Jake, and shave off a few seconds of his freakouts.)

--Trent from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has a fresh new identity as a clean cut seminar leader. 

--BUY TOILET PAPER!!!

--Scully has a podcast.

--Holt is real damn over hearing about Terry's kids. (Same, tbh.)

--I repeat, Scully has a podcast. (What does he talk about? Who is his audience? Tell me more.)

Honestly, Pimento has never been a favorite of mine, but I was okay with this episode. I can appreciate his ridiculous antics in very limited quantities, and the Finding Dory memory situation was in my sweet spot. A solid b-plot with the squad losing it over a bureaucratic requirement and turning on each other out of spite was pretty delightful, and made this a stronger overall episode than it would have been on the Pimento stuff alone.

• Love 15

One Kelly is his wife, and one is his dog! Its all explained in Scull's podcast! 

Pimento works for me in small doses, so I liked him a lot in this episode, him being a reoccurring character who shows up once or twice a season works well for me. The running Memento and Finding Dory jokes were hilarious, especially because a lot of the plot beats (especially the amnesiac being betrayed by someone they went to for help and them forgetting not to trust them, complete with trying to warn their future self) are pretty similar to the actual plot of Memento! I knew it would be the doctor, and not just because he was the Dean from Community!

Glad that Charles knows about Amy and Jake trying, and the resolution of their plot was quite sweet. "You might find it surprising to hear me refer to him as my partner and not my friend." "Not really." 

They were so close to beating Trent from Crazy Ex Girlfriend! So close! 

• Love 12
On 2/8/2020 at 9:40 AM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

I actually really like Pimento (though I do think he's best as a reoccurring character instead of a member of the main cast) and miss him and Rosa as a couple.  Their weird, crazy love was one of my fav relationships of the show.  

• Love 10
On 2/8/2020 at 11:40 AM, Harvey said:

I don't know. I feel like he works in small doses. Like yes he would be too much as a series regular but in the current set-up where he just appears once or twice a season his craziness becomes a breath of fresh air.

yeah I know he's the textbook definition of an an acquired taste but i love Manzoukas/Pimento

• Love 3

The answer to the question if of Kelly being Scully's dog or wife has been revealed: it's both!  Of course, it is!

Ah, Pimento.  Like others, he and Jason Mantzoukas are definitely acquired tastes who can be too much to take at times, but as long has he doesn't pop in too frequently, I don't mind it.  I thought he mainly worked here and paired off well with Jake and Boyle.  Loved the running gag that Pimento and Boyle kept thinking of Finding Dory first, instead of Memento, and how frustrated it made Jake.  Fun case overall, but I figured the doctor would end up being behind it all since he was played by Jim Rash... sorry, I mean Academy Award winner Jim Rash (remember, he cowrote The Descendants!)

The seminar B-plot wasn't the most original one out there, but I enjoyed it leading to everyone letting out their grievances.  And I really like how Holt is getting way more involved with all of it, now that he is technically no longer their captain for now.  He just seems looser than normal and more willing to just kick back and relax (all while still having his typical Holt stoicism of course!)  And the reveal that Rosa actually did "study" like Amy told her to was a nice moment.

Jake using Harry Potter references to him and Amy trying to have a baby... sigh, oh, Jake!

Noticed that the bit characters all had some great lines actually.  Both the hot dog vendor and tattoo artist had a moment or two that had me laughing for a good bit.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Loved the running gag that Pimento and Boyle kept thinking of Finding Dory first, instead of Memento, and how frustrated it made Jake. 

That reminded me of the episode where Charles kept referring to The Godfather as a Diane Keaton movie and he defined the members of the characters in the movie by their relationship to Diane Keaton. It was so funny how Jake found it frustrating while Captain Holt thought it was helpful.

• Love 16
On 2/9/2020 at 2:40 AM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

My guess is that Jason Mantzoukas and Marc Evan Jackson have some kind of yin-yang relationship. Put only one of them in your show and it screws up the balance of the universe. Pimento is the price we have to pay in order to keep Kevin.

• LOL 16
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

No, wait, it was the seminar fight. "YOU SUCK!" "AS DO YOU AND YOU AND YOU!" LMAO never change, Holt.

This was my favorite line this episode. Andre Braugher's delivery of every line is so funny to me. I'm so glad he decided to try comedy.

I'm a frequent defender of Jason Mantzoukas, and this episode was meh for me. Although, I watched it first thing when I got up so maybe my brain wasn't in a B99-watching mood this morning. I'll have to rewatch it later on this week.

• Love 3

My favorite scene was Boyle's take down of the doctor. I think I understand why the doctor erased Pimento's memory, but was it really worth killing him over. The doctor should have just given Pimento a lobotomy, would anybody have noticed?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Doctor Dean! Nice to see Jim Rash and the old classic of picking the bad guy by the recognisable guest star worked for him. 

That was a fun episode. A little of JM/Pimento goes a long way but I enjoyed him here much more than I did in his initial run in S3 where the tone of some of the later eps went a bit wonky because he took up so much time, space and energy. Finding Dory instead of Memento when Jake was trying to be cool, hah. I like that they continue to have Pimento really some random selected pop culture stuff like TMS.

Holt is definitely letting his "one of the squad" personality side out. He didn't get a chance to the first time around because being a gay black officer meant he was excluded so he's having fun making the most of his demotion. And he was secretly like this in command as well. 

Loved that Amy had to be the one to tell Jake to cool it with the Harry Potter references after sex. Bet she never saw that coming. We also got confirmation of Jake's age, I'm guessing Amy is a little younger? 

• Love 5

Jason Mantzoukas must either have some really good dirt on Schur/Daniels/Goor, or the roots of that friendship run deep into the Earth. His odd brand of aggressive zaniness didn’t fit into Parks and Recreation, only worked on The Good Place because he was used sparingly and it was such an offbeat universe, and it doesn’t work here.

I think it works on this show because B99 is sort of an over-the-top absurdist show. I wouldn't want him on every week but once in awhile is fine by me. Jason Mantzoukas had a role on "I'm Sorry" where he toned it down and acted more like a normal person, so I know he's capable of it.

• Love 3

Jason Mantzoukas falls squarely in the camp of manic ON! ALL! THE! TIME! (joined, in my estimation, by Will Ferrell and Jim Carrey) and I find it entirely exhausting. Thank goodness for the b-plot this week, which was not only relatable and hilarious but was a much-needed break from the mania.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this one. I continue to be charmed by the Jake/Charles friendship. Poor Jake having to cut Charles out of his life because he knew he’d just blurt out that he and Amy were trying to have a baby. 

I’ve actually grown to enjoy Pimento’s whackadoodle zaniness. His devotion to the squad and knowing, even in his “just keep swimming” state, that he could go to the 99 for help was sweet to me. 

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Harvey said:

That reminded me of the episode where Charles kept referring to The Godfather as a Diane Keaton movie and he defined the members of the characters in the movie by their relationship to Diane Keaton. It was so funny how Jake found it frustrating while Captain Holt thought it was helpful.

I don't remember that, but it's hilarious just to read the description of it.

I loved having Holt at the seminar, but Debbie not being there made me wonder about how the department works. She's his partner right now, isn't she? Or was she there and I missed her?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Amy hating the seminar was hard for me to believe.

Amy is all about organization, work and productivity, so I can see her hating something that's more focused on the inter-personal get-in-touch-with-your-emotions side of things. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't remember that, but it's hilarious just to read the description of it.

I loved having Holt at the seminar, but Debbie not being there made me wonder about how the department works. She's his partner right now, isn't she? Or was she there and I missed her?

It happened in season 5 episode 11 "The Favor". It's well-worth a re-watch, it's so funny.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

That was great. I loved everything with Pimento. The very end with Pimento telling Jake that he finally watched Memento and it was alright was so funny, with the cuts from Jake to Pimento to Jake to Pimento... 

Loved seeing the guy from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as the "funny" seminar leader. He was perfect here.

The Cold Open with Hitchcock somehow getting strangled by his own shoelaces was hilarious.

• Love 8
On 2/14/2020 at 9:27 AM, iMonrey said:

I think it works on this show because B99 is sort of an over-the-top absurdist show. I wouldn't want him on every week but once in awhile is fine by me. Jason Mantzoukas had a role on "I'm Sorry" where he toned it down and acted more like a normal person, so I know he's capable of it.

This is one of my favorite outtakes from that show, and I think it showcases that toned-down version pretty well.

For me, the person who fits the "always manically over the top and I can't stand it" bill is Billy Eichner, and he ended up being my fave from Friends from College, so hey, it can happen!

I really loved this episode. For me, the new season is a strong 3 for 3. I laughed WAY too hard at "A NEW COUCH?! TELL ME EVERYTHING!" and I liked both plots. Also was cracking the freak up at Pimento's antics with the street vendor in the background while Jake and Charles were arguing.

Also, as a person who has had to sit through multiple seminars like that and has worked in multiple offices, I gotta go with Captain Holt, here. Don't open up that Pandora's Box. You DO NOT want to see what's inside!

• Love 8

To build on @auntiemel 's great comment, the show "I'm Sorry" is a true hidden gem. S3 is currently being shot and it will air later this year, I think people who like B99 have a high chance of liking that show too because both show have a similiar sense of humor, specially in the aspect of the show where Jake sometimes makes these random throw-away comments where he doesn't expect anyone to respond to them. Maybe consider giving "I'm Sorry" a shot if you are looking for a new comedy to watch. It reallly is funny.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

The cold open was so ridiculous, in such a tiny span of time. I loved it.

I'm not a big fan of Jason Mantzoukas on this show. I've said before that I think his energy is wrong for it. It worked on The League, where everyone was an arsehole anyway, so Rafi terrorising them was funny. It worked on The Good Place, because the character of Derek was so ridiculous. And it works really well on How Did This Get Made? because his loud, obnoxious, boorish schtick is great for mocking crappy movies. But not on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

As a one off appearance, like this, it's not too bad. His entire existence is ridiculous and completely unbelievable, so I guess he can get away with a Memento storyline.

But Jim Rash was a lovely surprise. I wish he'd been the workplace conflict guy instead. He was wasted as the doctor.

"He does keep asking me if we do the Face Off surgery here."

"Yeah... and what'd you tell him?"

"... That we don't."

Jake was so disappointed.

So the show has pretty much retconned Casecation completely, then? Jake is all in on having a baby, with none of the reservations he had less than a year ago. Eh, okay. I don't really have any interest in kids, so that side of their relationship doesn't interest me much. I'd rather see them introducing more of Amy's family members - she's still got six more brothers to meet.

But I did like that Jake is struggling to keep the news from Charles. It's always nice when the show reconfirms that Jake loves Charles just as much as Charles loves Jake.

The seminar plot was amusing, if inconsequential. I'm sure anyone who has worked in an office/corporate environment is familiar with being forced into participating in that sort of bullshit, box-checking exercise.

• Love 4
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 3:32 AM, possibilities said:

Amy hating the seminar was hard for me to believe.

The leader wanting them to vent for 2 hours and never doing anything to help them resolve it might be a reason, though.

The idea of someone having the power to run a seminar and doing it all wrong sounds like it would be torture for Amy, I'd say. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6