Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

PrincessPurrsALot

S01.E05: Wedding and Weigh Ins

Recommended Posts

Quote

Amy decides to have a real wedding ceremony because, if she gets approved for surgery she's afraid she may not survive.  After the wedding, the sisters head to Atlanta hoping for a life-changing final weigh in.

Amy's vision:

giphy.gif 

My expectation:

giphy.gif 

Original air date 2020.01.29

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if Tammy's constant failures are some kind of pathological means of remaining a helpless victim so that her sister and brother-in-law don't kick her ass to the curb and force her to take care of herself? If so, then treating her sister like crap is absolutely the wrong way of going about it.

  • Love 16
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think Tammi’s dependency on Amy is simply because no one else has ever cared for her. She can’t get that from anyone else and her only other outlet is food... which is the last but deminishing thing they have in common. Shr must be feeling the abandonment big time.

  • Love 13
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post

Oh god, it’s my first time with the show - I’m goin’ in. What are these, shirttail relations of the Honey BooBoo clan? 
 

How does a face fold horizontally in the middle? Yikes!

  • Love 7
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post

I almost lost it when Tammy was doing her video diary on her alleged weight loss and progress by saying that she could tell she had lost weight since her face was looking "longer." Shnort. Giggle. Whoot!

I actually had a flashback to James K and his response to Dr. Now as to whether he thought he had lost any weight and he said he felt "looser."

Aah precious memories.

  • Love 6
  • Laugh 17

Share this post


Link to post

I felt sorry for them on this one.  TLC was using them for laughs, with the wine tasting, making them look like buffoons.
There must have been places where they'd have been less lost.

 

  • Love 17
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, PearlClutcher said:

Did anyone notice Michael's face when he saw Amy walking to him in her wedding dress?  Right there I thought he really loves her.  He also made a good effort in looking nice for the event.

I also think Tammy is seeing her future getting shakier as her sister is going to have weight loss surgery,  idk maybe even a baby, and living the life she's (Amy) dreamed of.  Amy doesn't want to take care of two babies.  Last night Amy did talk of Tammy maybe eventually being in a nursing home.  Very telling.

I think he loves her too. The past scene when she was dancing to the videogame, he was jsut smiling and said something about watching her. Good for her! I think he wants what is best for her and hopefully won't be like so many of these spouses that sabotage the person's chances of success. She wants to movie forward, she has a good husband, she wants children..... I think she does love her sister, but she k nows she can't take care of her and have what she wants too 

  • Love 21

Share this post


Link to post

My hard heart melted a bit to see Amy reach her goal.  I’m shocked that Tammy lost anything at all and don’t have much sympathy because as Dr. Proctor says she is just not understanding the changes that are needed.

  • Love 15

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, ThereButFor said:

My hard heart melted a bit to see Amy reach her goal.  I’m shocked that Tammy lost anything at all and don’t have much sympathy because as Dr. Proctor says she is just not understanding the changes that are needed.

She was so happy. And then she thought of her sister. She has some tough decisions to make. 

  • Love 15

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

She was so happy. And then she thought of her sister. She has some tough decisions to make. 

Oh I so hope she doesn't get drug down by the giant anchor that is Tammy!

On the other hand, poor Michael if he has to care for Amy post-surgery (not that big a deal, spouses do that) AND her troll sister.

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post

10 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Oh god, it’s my first time with the show - I’m goin’ in. What are these, shirttail relations of the Honey BooBoo clan? 
 

How does a face fold horizontally in the middle? Yikes!

OMG, you're killing me!

So funny. 

A face folding horizontally in the middle?  

I will laugh about that all day.

Cuz it's true. 

Wow. 

Plus, longer? Her full on wattle /extra  chin-neck fat is about twice the size of her face already!

  • Love 7
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

From the Live Chat:

Quote

What's with ALL THOSE CHAIRS at the wedding??  Who were they expecting to show up??

The wedding scene reminded me of the home movie of Frank Burns' wedding on "M*A*S*H". Hawkeye quips, "They sure did invite a lot of empty chairs!"

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

I think Tammi’s dependency on Amy is simply because no one else has ever cared for her. She can’t get that from anyone else and her only other outlet is food... which is the last but deminishing thing they have in common. Shr must be feeling the abandonment big time.

That's a really good point. And dare I say it, I think Tammy is actually a pretty girl under all of that excessive weight. It's hard to see but it looks like she has pretty eyes 😞 Her condition is certainly very sad.

Michael seems like a very kind man.

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

That's a really good point. And dare I say it, I think Tammy is actually a pretty girl under all of that excessive weight. It's hard to see but it looks like she has pretty eyes 😞 Her condition is certainly very sad.

Michael seems like a very kind man.

I noticed her eyes last night every so often. Imagine her without all that weight?

He does. 

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

I am in a group on Facebook and a lot of the members address their posts to Tammy and Amy. The other members yell at them, saying the sisters are not in the group. Isn’t there the possibility that either or both of them could be under different names, choosing to be lurkers? Didn’t that happen in TWOP?

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

After the sad bachelorette party, one of the sisters said "that was the first time I seen one in person".  I swear it was Amy. 

Did anyone else hear that? Is it even possible?  Even if she and Micheal aren't having relations, wouldn't she have at least caught a glimpse of it?

  • Love 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

After the sad bachelorette party, one of the sisters said "that was the first time I seen one in person".  I swear it was Amy. 

Did anyone else hear that? Is it even possible?  Even if she and Micheal aren't having relations, wouldn't she have at least caught a glimpse of it?

IIRC, that was said in response to her sister-in-law asking if she had ever seen a male stripper. At least I hope so. Too funny that Amy critiqued the stripper by saying he needed to learn some new moves. I both laughed and cringed while watching that scene.

  • Love 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have to say I felt for Tammy a little when Dr. Procter said he thinks she doesn’t believe she can lose the weight. I’m very familiar with the “no confidence in myself” feeling. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

Did anyone else hear that? Is it even possible?  Even if she and Micheal aren't having relations, wouldn't she have at least caught a glimpse of it?

I thought she meant a male stripper.

  • Love 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, queenbee24 said:

Oh I so hope she doesn't get drug down by the giant anchor that is Tammy!

On the other hand, poor Michael if he has to care for Amy post-surgery (not that big a deal, spouses do that) AND her troll sister.

All the more reason to not have them get surgery at the same time. Can you imagine how difficult Tammy will be in the first days after surgery?

  • Love 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I can't remember who is the oldest, Amy or Tammy but Tammy seems emotionally stunted at about 12 years old.  She wants what she wants when she wants it, she can't get past her own feelings of failure and embarrassment to be happy for Amy's progress and she seems constantly jealous and/or threatened by Amy's marriage and her future plans.  I feel sorry for all three of them, this is going to be a very difficult new life for them.  I hope Amy sticks with the therapy, she seems the most open-minded about improving herself. 

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I noticed her eyes last night every so often. Imagine her without all that weight?

He does. 

I don't think he does see her without the weight ... he's said more than once that he prefers large women.  The weight first attracted him to her.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, JDAlexander said:

I can't remember who is the oldest, Amy or Tammy but Tammy seems emotionally stunted at about 12 years old.

Tammy is older by a year (32 and 31).

  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I don't think he does see her without the weight ... he's said more than once that he prefers large women.  The weight first attracted him to her.

well I hope he will be supportive.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

Michael was really under a strain pushing Tammy. I think it is another set up, though, because she could have stood up to let him check it. She never stands so I am wondering just how much do they have to do for her????

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Michael was really under a strain pushing Tammy. I think it is another set up, though, because she could have stood up to let him check it. She never stands so I am wondering just how much do they have to do for her????

Yeah, I really felt sorry for him while the wheelchair screamed under all that weight.  Amy suggested WD-40 but Michael told her it needed to be welded.  It was the best bonus scene of all, I also liked when Amy was sad she was a pound over her goal and Dr. Proctor suggested she take off her shoes.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Dittohead said:

I was appalled by their mother's whole attitude.  She couldn't bring herself to go and sit at her daughter's wedding for an hour?  Amy was truly hurt by it, and I don't blame her.  There is no excuse for her mother's indifference and non-support of her own children.  Her lack of basic motherly concern  helps explain Tammy's attitude, too. 

Didn't Amy say, maybe not in this episode, that her mother treated other siblings better than she and Tammy were treated?

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I teared up a little at the wedding. I like that they made it as nice as they could afford and seemed to enjoy and appreciate the event. They are a very sweet couple and I see great love between. 

Tammy felt like she was let down again. As if things are out of her control. She needs to let go of her victim mentality.  She is a big anchor on Amy.  Their mom has done immense damage to them in the past and continues to this day.

  • Love 24

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/30/2020 at 10:43 AM, GoGamecox said:

I agree with the other posters that Michael's love for Amy seems endearing and genuine. His patience is impressive, too. I can't imagine marrying a guy and his 600 lb. brother immediately moves in with us and needs constant care and help. Michael's a better person than I am.

One bonus of watching this show is I have caught myself in my own hypocrisy a few times recently when trying to be more vigilant about my working out and eating to drop 20 lbs.  Too much little cheats here and there means squelching my attempts at weight loss. I've caught myself doing the same lying to myself that they have done -- "It's OK, it's just one little slip. It'll be fine."  It's so unattractive to see Tammy do it that it's made me have to own up to similar behaviors on my own. So there is that. 

I think the show can be a cautionary catalyst for action.  Like how I want to clean something every time I watch hoarders.  

I remember on some show back in the day someone was saying that food addiction was so hard because you can't ever have total food sobriety.  You HAVE to eat so a food addict is constantly facing triggers.   

  • Love 13
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

I think the show can be a cautionary catalyst for action.  Like how I want to clean something every time I watch hoarders.  

I remember on some show back in the day someone was saying that food addiction was so hard because you can't ever have total food sobriety.  You HAVE to eat so a food addict is constantly facing triggers.   

We don’t actually know what sort of diet the sisters were given, but I am pretty sure Tammy’s tacos weren’t part of it.  Amy’s snack cake wouldn’t have been either but she did stop at one.  I give them a pass on the wedding because food is so entwined with celebrations, but having it just a few days before the trip back to Atlanta was a bad idea.  Amy would probably have exceeded her goal if it had been held earlier in the month!

It’s a bit off topic, but personally I’ve found that banning sugars and processed carbohydrates from my allowed foods brings me a level of calm around “danger” foods. We need to eat good nutritious foods, but things like candy, pie, cake, crisps (chips) are just not an essential part of a healthy diet.  I think that is where therapy comes in, because anyone like Tammy and Amy (and many of us watching) learned to “use” food to cope with everything.  Brain scans have shown the effect of sugary foods can be highly rewarding and yes addictive.  That many years of a behaviour takes a lot of dedication, help and guidance to change.  So while abstinence from food is not an option, abstinence from particularly unhealthy foods can be for the most part.

  • Love 10
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Amy should be glad she has Dr Proctor and not Dr Now. Dr Now  would have expected more than 25 pounds in 4 months.  And even then, he would have scheduled her surgery for a month or 2 months out to have more weight loss. I don't think Amy made any great changes and she definitely wouldn't have made it on Dr Now"s 1200 cal, no snacking eating plan.

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

Amy should be glad she has Dr Proctor and not Dr Now. Dr Now  would have expected more than 25 pounds in 4 months.  And even then, he would have scheduled her surgery for a month or 2 months out to have more weight loss. I don't think Amy made any great changes and she definitely wouldn't have made it on Dr Now"s 1200 cal, no snacking eating plan.

I thought it was two months, but still I agree those were very low goals.  We can’t really see how much walking Amy is doing or how often she’s visited the gym, but I’m sure she is still eating far too much to only lose 25 pounds.  Though Dr. Now has been setting lower goals than he used to as well, when someone is 600 pounds even a 2400 calorie a day diet would have the weight dropping off!

  • Love 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, RealReality said:

I think the show can be a cautionary catalyst for action.  Like how I want to clean something every time I watch hoarders. 

So it's not just me then, who wants to clean everything. I watch hoarders, and I'm getting out the bleach and a scrub brush.
 

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, nokat said:

So it's not just me then, who wants to clean everything. I watch hoarders, and I'm getting out the bleach and a scrub brush.
 

LOL, its not just you.  In addition to cleaning every surface in my house and throwing away random doo-dads that every hoarder is going to use for a "project", I also like to take a shower and flush my working toilet.  Which feels like an unattainable luxury after an episode of hoarders.  

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

After having watched a small pan of water count as Tami's bath, I think I hurled early on with this show.
 

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

random doo-dads

Also want you to know, that you saying random doo-dads made my day.
 

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, nokat said:

Also want you to know, that you saying random doo-dads made my day.

 

Edited to add, not to be confused with whatchamacallits.
 

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

An issue that both ladies seem to laugh about was their food.  Amy said something to Tammi about her still eating multiple tacos!  And, she laughed.  While Tammi cries at the weigh-in, she blows off restrictions on things like fast food. And, why do they not mention food journals, where you log each thing you eat and the time?  That way, they can't say, I've been trying....they can say, here it is. This is what I have eaten every day since my last visit. 

I do hope that Amy is able to lose the weight, get healthy and have the baby she wants, but, when I look at their family, it's scary.  Her husband's sister is also  morbidly obese and Amy's mother is also very obese.  Raising children in that kind of unhealthy environment breeds unhealthy diets and obesity.  Their culture and genetics seem geared to wards obesity. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

That stripper was HILARIOUS!  My hats off to whoever the boney intern was who pulled the short straw.  Best scene of the night and it wasn't even close.  He was horrible.  I think Dr. Proctor was right, Tami doesn't think she can do it so she doesn't really try.  If she was away from that house, forced to eat right and workout she would see the weight loss and I think it would spur her to do more.  

But I think that this.....is just like every other weight loss program Tami has failed at.  She expects to fail after a lifetime of failure so it's easy to kinda half ass it and fail instead of really putting in the work.

 

I feel like Tami may be at the point where she needs like an intensive in patient weight loss program.  

Also, her new boyfriend just looks like bad news.  At best he is a fame whore.  AT BEST.  

On 2/1/2020 at 1:22 PM, ThereButFor said:

I thought it was two months, but still I agree those were very low goals.  We can’t really see how much walking Amy is doing or how often she’s visited the gym, but I’m sure she is still eating far too much to only lose 25 pounds.  Though Dr. Now has been setting lower goals than he used to as well, when someone is 600 pounds even a 2400 calorie a day diet would have the weight dropping off!

What I found interesting was that the weight loss goals didn't have anything to do with the safety of performing the surgery, but rather with gauging post surgical success.  Maybe Dr Now isn't willing to waste his time on someone who he feels will fail so he sets a more ambitious weight loss goal. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/1/2020 at 7:02 AM, RealReality said:

I think the show can be a cautionary catalyst for action.  Like how I want to clean something every time I watch hoarders.  

I remember on some show back in the day someone was saying that food addiction was so hard because you can't ever have total food sobriety.  You HAVE to eat so a food addict is constantly facing triggers.   

Even 20 years after my gastric bypass it’s still a daily struggle.  PS I’m with you on Hoarders!

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size