Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Book 27

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

....another thing that was a nice throwaway was that when Ben and David went into the fertility clinic, the associate assumed they were a gay couple looking to conceive a child (do they do surrogacy there?), and they just went with it. 

Yeah, that was a good scene. I really liked the interaction between Ben and David this episode in general. I know Ben had told Kristen about how he and David met and began working together, but I hope next season we get an episode that further explores that part of their past in more detail, and what those early days of them working together were like. It'd be fun to delve into that history a little more. 

• Love 4

20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I was reading a review of the episode elsewhere and in that, it said that Mira had told Kristen LeRoux was bludgeoned to death. I haven't had a chance to rewatch the episode yet, but if that's the case, then yeah, it doesn't seem the weapon she held was ultimately the one that killed him. She may well have planned to use it, but like stated above, plans may have changed. 

Yes.. We know Lynn's the oldest and Laura's the youngest, so this is the best way to remember the middle two girls: Lila is the one with the long reddish-hair, and she's the only one of the four girls we don't really know much else about, or who hasn't really been all that notably involved in or the focus of any of the stories, the way the others have. 

And Lexis is the one who often wears the braids. She's the one who: 1) stayed behind at Halloween; 2) had that scuffle with the girl at her school; 3) opened the door for the creepy goat demon; and 4) was the one Kristen got pregnant with through that fertility clinic. 

I thought that Lila (the reddish haired-one) was the one that stayed behind on Halloween. Lexis. It was when I figured out who she was. I think she also was the one who was wearing a red hoodie and Kristen made her change to something else.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:56 AM, icemiser69 said:

Who the hell would name their kid Lexus?  Is that a kid or a car.

CC has it as "Lexis" so it may be a shortened version of Alexis. But probably not a nickname, since then they wouldn't all have L names, something I only just realized last episode.

2 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

The two middle ones are really a toss up to me, looks wise. A quick scroll through Google says the one who plays Lila is ten (and also apparently the niece of Modern Family actress Ariel Winters); I couldn't find an age for the Lexis actress. But I think I'm basing my assumption of their ages from the AR glasses episode? Didn't the older two kind of take over? I thought that was Lynn and Lila, but I could be wrong...

Kristen said that she had a miscarriage after Lila, and that was when she used IVF to get pregnant with Lexis. So Lila is the second oldest and Lexis is third.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Kristen said that she had a miscarriage after Lila, and that was when she used IVF to get pregnant with Lexis. So Lila is the second oldest and Lexis is third.

Thank you, glad that's confirmed.

Combine that with the information from someone else upthread that the girls have a seven year age range, and I guess the timeline makes a little more sense, but... still, not really. Considering the Lila actress isn't even eleven yet, I'm assuming she's not meant to be much more than eleven on the show, and Lexis is meant to be eight or nine (since we know Laura's seven)? So Kristen has Lila, gets pregnant again, has a miscarriage, spends enough time trying to unsuccessfully conceive that she thinks she can't naturally, goes to the clinic, gets pregnant, and has Lexis all in a span of three years, or potentially less? Yikes.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I think she also was the one who was wearing a red hoodie and Kristen made her change to something else.

That was Lynn. I think Lila's the only one who hasn't really been directly threatened with anything thus far or tied to any hints of any kind of danger, supernatural or otherwise. Laura had her heart issues, Lexis had the problems with her classmate, Lynn wore a red hoodie...

ETA: Wait, actually, I may have to revise that-was it Lila who stabbed her ear after hearing that creepy song and hearing the ominous voice lurking within it? 

Edited by Annber03
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 11:33 AM, sempervivum said:

Have we ever seen Matilda?

Maybe Matlida will be like Vera on Cheers -- often mentioned, but never seen. 

Or, maybe in the last episode there will be some big twist like she is just a figment of Kristen's imagination or she is actually the big bad who is manipulating everything.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 1/31/2020 at 7:56 AM, icemiser69 said:

My gosh, with all of the kids talking at once, that is information overload and I can't hear what any of them are saying.

I am fairly certain that when they all talk at once all we are supposed to get from that is noise. I can't get captions to work but I'd be curious to know whether the cacophony is shown as anything other than "[all talking at once]".

On 1/31/2020 at 5:56 PM, Katy M said:

Actually what she did was make a false accusation to the police.  She said he was touching himself in front of her children which wasn't true.  One false accusation deserves another.

She stopped short of identifying him but I thought it was not only a bad thing for Kristen to do and a bad tactic it played out very oddly. Would the authorities really react to being told that a suspected pervert had driven away by figuring "problem solved"? 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I am fairly certain that when they all talk at once all we are supposed to get from that is noise. I can't get captions to work but I'd be curious to know whether the cacophony is shown as anything other than "[all talking at once]".

She stopped short of identifying him but I thought it was not only a bad thing for Kristen to do and a bad tactic it played out very oddly. Would the authorities really react to being told that a suspected pervert had driven away by figuring "problem solved"? 

Do we know for sure that she actually called the police instead of just talking into her phone?  I'm really not sure on that point.  If she were smart, she would not have actually made a false accusation and she should know that it could backfire on her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 1/31/2020 at 12:06 AM, phalange said:

Still not sure what the numbers in the episode titles mean, though. This episode title is "Book 27."

Could someone put this title on the main page please?

• Love 1

And now for something completely different - I find it hilarious that Hobby Lobby has a rotating ad on this episode page.

5 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Do we know for sure that she actually called the police instead of just talking into her phone? 

That's what I thought.  911 operators have a specific script to enter data, and they try hard to steer the caller through all the steps.  When Kristen stopped at a partial license plate, the operator would have pressed her to complete the ID, plus describe the person.

5 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I can't get captions to work but I'd be curious to know whether the cacophony is shown as anything other than "[all talking at once]".

It actually says "overlapping chatter", but you are correct.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Just arriving in the forum after having watched the full season in fits and starts.  Glad to see others are:

• wondering why the writers gave Kristen so many daughters; and
  • seeing the childbirth timeline as a little wonky, esp. since we now have to incorporate a miscarriage and enough failure to conceive to justify IVF

I thought this last episode's editing was a bit off -- as if it were once a longer episode for the season finale?  Still, there isn't anything else on TV like this and it hits my creepy sweet spot. There are genuinely scary moments, and some things (like Kristen's alley office) are just the right kind of unsettling -- but it's not slasher horror, which I hate.  Plus weird humor. 

I'm certainly in for a second season.  

• Love 8
On 1/30/2020 at 9:06 PM, phalange said:

Still not sure what the numbers in the episode titles mean, though. This episode title is "Book 27."

Revelations is the 27th Book of the New Testament.  It took me forever to figure that out.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Norma Desmond said:

Or the demon her daughter let into their home.

One thing that I have liked (past tense) about this show is that they stuck pretty closely to the established framework of possession and such in the Catholic church.  I felt like this episode swerved a bit from that and it may come back to bite them.  

Probably the biggest "whaaa?" moment for me was David saying he was religious because he was afraid of death.  I'm not saying I think that's unbelievable and I'm sure a lot of people fall into that camp.  However, if that is your reason for belief, no seminary is going to accept you and the (modern) Catholic Church will not ordain you.  If the process to become a priest in the Catholic Church is similar to that for the Episcopal Church, and everything I've heard suggests that it is, someone who confessed that would be weeded out in the first month.

Also, count me in as one who is perplexed by the IVF twist.  If she had used IVF for her first daughter, it would have made much more sense...but her 3rd?  (As a sort of aside--I've known many couples who struggled with infertility, turned to IVF resulting in their first pregnancy, and then went on to have subsequent healthy non-IVF pregnancies).  Miscarriages are incredibly common and no doctor would suggest that having one miscarriage, especially when a woman has had live births previously, would be a sign of infertility.  Given the age of her daughters, it doesn't seem like they tried very hard after the miscarriage before turning to the fertility clinic.  If nothing else, that's a lot of money to spend needlessly.

I think this show has done an excellent job of not actually taking a side in the religion vs. skepticism debate.  However, I worry that the show *might* venture into the church vs. reproduction with the IVF story line and I'd rather that can of worms stay shut on a show that is essentially lightweight network entertainment.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, hookedontv said:

Whatever happened to the cat? 

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about this.  They tied up a lot of loose ends in this episode, but the cat story was so blatantly dropped that it seems even more clumsy now...

• Love 4
On 1/30/2020 at 11:27 PM, Bulldog said:

No idea what the fields of gold dream means, but looking forward to finding out next season.

I was thinking it meant some of the writers watched Rectify.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:31 PM, sempervivum said:

Also, not sure what kind of Catholic school she attended, but nobody teaches that blood will come out of the host if you bite it! We were told not to chew it, just swallow it whole, but that was a sign of respect.

It depends on how you feel about transubstantiation. The Eucharist becomes the body and blood of Christ, according to Catholic doctrine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The dream of him in the field, I think, was an allusion to the verse in Matthew, about sewing weeds in the field of barley.  David now realizes that Kristen is possessed, as she walks right by him toward the demon with his scythe.  The gold coloring may relate to a song of the same name, by Sting.  The lyric represents a woman who goes back to a favorite place to be with the boyfriend she lost years ago.  Yes, I had to research that one.  They even played a snippet of the melody as she began walking toward the demon. 

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

The dream of him in the field, I think, was an allusion to the verse in Matthew, about sewing weeds in the field of barley.  David now realizes that Maggie is possessed, as she walks right by him toward the demon with his scythe.  The gold coloring may relate to a song of the same name, by Sting.  The lyric represents a woman who goes back to a favorite place to be with the boyfriend she lost years ago.  Yes, I had to research that one.  They even played a snippet of the melody as she began walking toward the demon. 

I think you mean Kristen, not Maggie.

That is actually an interesting possibility, that David is the source/cause of Kristen's possession.  I'm not sold on that being where the writers are going, but it would be interesting.

• Love 1

Does anyone else think the bus driver must heave a heavy sigh as he or she turns down the street to Kristen's house? Then he or she takes a moment to mentally prepare for the simultaneous shrieking of the 4 girls as they board the bus? 

I'm sure dropping those girls off after school is the best part of the bus driver's day. I know it would be for me. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Oh, my favourite subject: a horrible man coming between two family members, and one family member so willing to be duped. I hate that they made the mother so desperate to be loved by a man, that she let him come between her and the people who actually love her. 

So, the little girl who avoided going to the graveyard, and shares her mother's nightmares, is a product of that place. Now it seems her mother has murdered that guy. This show is weird, but I'll miss it until it comes back (I hope it's coming back).

• Love 4

I recall seeing an interview with the Kings from shortly before the finale where they mentioned that it'll likely be about the same amount of episodes for season 2, if not 15 at the absolute most. Mainly 'cause they want to be able to have enough time for both this show and "The Good Fight". 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I recall seeing an interview with the Kings from shortly before the finale where they mentioned that it'll likely be about the same amount of episodes for season 2, if not 15 at the absolute most. Mainly 'cause they want to be able to have enough time for both this show and "The Good Fight". 

I can see that.  I think that this might be the kind of show that it would deteriorate if they tried to stretch it out too much (I think a lot of shows with potential have gone down the crapper because they had to fill 22 episodes).  Also, I enjoy The Good Fight and don't want that to suffer at the expense of this show.

• Love 4
On 2/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, OtterMommy said:

Benjamin is one of the houses of Israel (Benjamin--the person--was the youngest son Jacob, with Rachel).  Saul, the first king of Israel, belonged to the house of Benjamin, as did King David.

Sorry to nitpick, but while Saul was of the tribe of Benjamin, David was from the tribe of Judah.   

Benjamin was the younger son of the favored wife, Rachel.  Judah was one of the sons of Leah, Rachel's sister and the wife Jacob/Israel was tricked into marrying.  

ETA:

Post-David, when David's grandson inherited and the kingdom split, Benjamin stayed with Judah, as sort of a junior partner in the northern kingdom.  Benjamin was the smallest tribe, as many of them had been killed during the Judges period in a war against the other tribes.

Edited by Mari
Remembered more information.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

It has been renewed for season 2, but I haven't heard if it will be a short-season show again.

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Thanks. I'm glad it's coming back. 🙂

• Love 1
8 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I think you mean Kristen, not Maggie.

Edited, thanks.

"Then he or she takes a moment to mentally prepare for the simultaneous shrieking of the 4 girls as they board the bus? "

Back when I was that age and school buses ran on coal, I think, the driver was an absolute monarch.  Some of them would actually stop the bus and threaten to go back to the school if everyone didn't quiet down.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Back when I was that age and school buses ran on coal, I think, the driver was an absolute monarch.  Some of them would actually stop the bus and threaten to go back to the school if everyone didn't quiet down.

I remember one bus driver yelling at us to quiet down one time, but in his defense, he was trying to get everyone home during a raging blizzard, and some of the kids were getting distracting. 

• Love 1
On 1/31/2020 at 5:53 AM, Supah128 said:

Why are Kristen’s daughters so stupid? I understand they’re young but they’re written to all be the same level of stupid when their ages span many years apart and you would think if the younger ones are followers, at least the oldest, who is a teenager, should have some sense? Like to not allow anyone to force her little sister into a grave, perhaps. Or a hole in the basement wall. Or the other sister who heard a creepy man’s voice tell her to open the door in the middle of the night and she actually does it? The children are written to be annoying and infuriatingly stupid. I’m ok with Leland taking them into his side at this point. 

The oldest daughter didn't go with them to the graveyard, it was obvious that she found the demon girl to be a bit weird but still, just a child and completely forgettable to a cool teenager like herself. I would have expected her to discourage her little sister from going in the hole but she probably thought there would be nothing there, that the girls were just playing scary games to add some excitement to their Halloween.

Well, the implication is that this daughter is the one that was conceived with evil sperm. Or something like that. And she had no memory of what she did - or is innately evil enough to hide it. Otherwise I'd agree with you, opening the door to Satan Goat would make no sense. 

I still find Leland and especially Kristen's mother to be far more annoying and I will not mind when they have completed their business and left the show. Although, I do enjoy Kristen's putdowns of Leland. I do think she could do with a better villain to take on. George is pretty good at it. Satan Goat is kind of silly.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PrePreBabylonia said:

The oldest daughter didn't go with them to the graveyard, it was obvious that she found the demon girl to be a bit weird but still, just a child and completely forgettable to a cool teenager like herself.

It's been awhile since I've seen the episode, but I swear the oldest girl did go. It was one of the middle girls (the non-demonic one I think... the second oldest) who stayed behind. I remember thinking she had more sense than her big sister.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

It's been awhile since I've seen the episode, but I swear the oldest girl did go. It was one of the middle girls (the non-demonic one I think... the second oldest) who stayed behind. I remember thinking she had more sense than her big sister.

The girls are still hard for me to separate, but I think you're right.  The way I have it is:

1 - The oldest

2 - The smart one who doesn't follow strange kids to graveyards on Halloween night

3 - The spawn of Satan

4 - The "will she live or will she die" kid

Or are numbers 2 and 3 reversed?  I may do a complete rewatch of this season in the not too distant future and hopefully I can keep them straight after that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

The girls are still hard for me to separate, but I think you're right.  The way I have it is:

1 - The oldest

2 - The smart one who doesn't follow strange kids to graveyards on Halloween night

3 - The spawn of Satan

Or are numbers 2 and 3 reversed?  I may do a complete rewatch of this season in the not too distant future and hopefully I can keep them straight after that.

Actually, I looked up the transcript for October 31, and it's Lexis who doesn't go to the graveyard, and it's Lexis who is the "spawn of  Satan" and she is daughter number 3, because Kristen had the miscarriage after Lila, and Lexis was the result of her in vitro. Lexis is number 3, because Lynn is the oldest, then Lila, Lexis, Laura.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Actually, I looked up the transcript for October 31, and it's Lexis who doesn't go to the graveyard, and it's Lexis who is the "spawn of  Satan" and she is daughter number 3, because Kristen had the miscarriage after Lila, and Lexis was the result of her in vitro. Lexis is number 3, because Lynn is the oldest, then Lila, Lexis, Laura.

So it should be?

1 - The oldest and smartest one who doesn't follow strange kids to graveyards on Halloween night

2 - Completely unremarkable girl and/or girl being held in reserve for future plots

3 - The spawn of Satan

It is interesting, though, that Lexi (the Spawn of Satan) was the one who didn't go to the graveyard, which kind of leads me to think that her being IVF from the evil clinic was a late decision for the writers?  That would explain the whole IVF thing making no sense.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, OtterMommy said:

So it should be?

1 - The oldest and smartest one who doesn't follow strange kids to graveyards on Halloween night

2 - Completely unremarkable girl and/or girl being held in reserve for future plots

3 - The spawn of Satan

It is interesting, though, that Lexi (the Spawn of Satan) was the one who didn't go to the graveyard, which kind of leads me to think that her being IVF from the evil clinic was a late decision for the writers?  That would explain the whole IVF thing making no sense.

The oldest kid absolutely did go to the graveyard.

Maybe Lexi didn't go to the graveyard because the evil in her needed to be preserved for a later date?  Or the evil in her allowed her to recognize the evil in the other kid?  She's also the one that punched the kid with the rock in her hand.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

The oldest kid absolutely did go to the graveyard.

Maybe Lexi didn't go to the graveyard because the evil in her needed to be preserved for a later date?  Or the evil in her allowed her to recognize the evil in the other kid?  She's also the one that punched the kid with the rock in her hand.

You're right and I screwed that up again...  

1 - The oldest one who is working on her judgmental glare

3 - The spawn of Satan who is scared of games in graveyards because...reasons.

There is clearly at least 1 too many kids in this show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/14/2020 at 6:38 PM, OtterMommy said:

You're right and I screwed that up again...  

1 - The oldest one who is working on her judgmental glare

3 - The spawn of Satan who is scared of games in graveyards because...reasons.

There is clearly at least 1 too many kids in this show.

These lists are very helpful. I apologise for getting it completely wrong. It made sense to me that the oldest one would opt out the trip to the graveyard, not the Satan Spawn (alleged). Unlike many people here, the four girls don't annoy me at all, but it would be handy to use costuming to help the viewer more clearly define which one is which. Perhaps colour related.

• Love 5

I just watched this. I really liked Kristen closing the door on her mother. I have no relationship with my mother and it's nice to occasionally see that,- I get tired of the endless litany about family is everything and you have to forgive them yadda yadda. Some things can't be forgiven or ignored. 

But people blaming Kristen's mom- I just assume she does not have free will at this point but there's no way of knowing.

Was really impressed with Katja's acting in the whole scene with Ben and the blood on her leg, esp when she was like racing- my family is safe, I'm spectacular. I think it would be great if she killed him but I assume they will explain it away.

Kristen being possessed is more interesting than the kid.

They really make Christine Lahti look awful imo. I don't know if it's the makeup or lighting or what. Just very heavy dark features.

• Love 4

I just caught this show on netflix, after never remembering to check it out as it aired. I love it! The girls don't annoy me at all; they're super realistic (I may have never seen SUCH realistic young siblings portrayed before, even if they do get along more often than most might), really cute, and I don't notice any "shrieking" or "screaming" from them except for the times they are literally screaming from scary things. They're joyful and easily excited and talk all over each other, but it's not at a level of screaming. Boisterous, perhaps.  🙂 And when you can make out their conversations to each other it's usually cute teasing or grumpiness between sisters, and...I don't know. They don't bother me at all.

(Also for all the talk I see about them being brats, they are REALLY overall well behaved! Besides mostly getting along with each other, they actually do what their parents say and haven't done anything rebellious yet--unless we count Lexis doing what her grandmother told her to. And I guess playing that spooky game, but they came clean about it, AND they wanted their mom to watch the spooky show with them. They're delightful to me! I'd babysit them happily. Except maybe not now that one of them is possibly possessed or evil or whatever.)

Anyway! Ben is, of course, the best. And I actually really like Andy, so I'm sad he probably signed his own death warrant. 

I REALLY like how they commented that all these exorcisms are on women--and even though this one was technically about a boy, it still tied in to pregnancy and how doctors treat women. That poor mother, losing the child she actually wanted and getting stuck with evil. 

I was also extremely proud of Kristen for giving her mother an ultimatum and then sticking with it further. Hopefully they don't try to explain all that away from her being possessed. 😜 

Excited for the next season!! And loved the comic con trailer they put together. Aasif is also the best.

Edited by snoopypez
added some stuff I forgot!
  • Love 5

Re-watched this and liked it a lot  better after the 2nd viewing leven though I did like it the first time.   It’s funny after everyone not liking the kids I wonder if anyone actually has a multiple amount of young children.  My brother had three kids under five  at home and they get loud destructive and crazy.   Kids are shrieking devil spawn and tv has a tendency to portray them as little adults who say their lines on their spots and then walk off the set until they are needed on cute again.    I like this version of them who excitingly talk over each other and vie for mother’s attention.

Also really loved the downward spiral of grandma.   I don’t think she is possessed or anything.  That isn’t how Leland works.  He plays on people’s worst instincts.   Everyone has a dark side.  He plays on anxiety anger and doubt.  He was able to turn Grandma and it will be interesting to see if it is permanent or not.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8