Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: I hoʻolulu, hoʻohulei ʻia e ka makani (There Was a Lull, and Then the Wind Began to Blow About)

• Start Topic

Soon after Danny meets the girl of his dreams, they get into a potentially fatal car accident in an area far from help. Also, McGarrett enlists Quinn and Tani to help when Eddie the dog suddenly shows signs of PTSD.

Original Airdate: January 31, 2020

SOURCE: https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=54319

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a missing comma to the episode title.
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Why the break?

The first week was the start of a 3 day holiday weekend in America in honor of Martin Luther King. The second would be Tet or Chinese New Year's celebrations.

Edited by Raja

Well, CBS skipped new episodes this past Monday, so "no new" on Friday seems to be keeping with that. They are also skipping new episodes on Thursday next week, so "no new" that Friday seems to be keeping with that. CBS tends to have a week of reruns during the last week of January (just before sweeps start) every year.

Ick.  Everything about the Danny and what’s-her-name story was bad.  Capped off by the ending - why didn’t Danny get instructions on how to keep her alive while the ambulance was en route, like applying pressure on her wound since she was losing blood, etc., like 911 operators are trained to do?  And geez - if even I knew that, Danny should have.

And the Eddie story?  What a fast and easy investigation!  

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Ick.  Everything about the Danny and what’s-her-name story was bad.  Capped off by the ending - why didn’t Danny get instructions on how to keep her alive while the ambulance was en route, like applying pressure on her wound since she was losing blood, etc., like 911 operators are trained to do?  And geez - if even I knew that, Danny should have.

And the Eddie story?  What a fast and easy investigation!  

Danny was injured too.  He probably wasn’t thinking straight.  But I agree the dispatcher could’ve given him more instruction.  Also, he couldn’t put continuous pressure on her back wound because he had to try to flag down traffic.  He put compresses on, and had her lean back.  IMO that was the best he could do given the situation.

Well, since Emma is seeing someone else, and Danny’s girl of his dream died (not to mention he & Rachel just being friends), I guess they only have each other.

PS why the heck is Adam back?  We were better off w/o him.

I always appreciate a break from the formula on this show so this was a good episode in my books.

Since the veterinarian is seeing someone, has McGarrett looked at his adorkable botanist neighbor? She already likes his dog!

I am a little disappointed that Eddie's PTS was not related to Junior being gone. I was sure that was going to be end up being the answer.

An HPD patrol car was the first emergency vehicle on the scene of Danny's accident. Danny identified himself as 5-0 when he radioed in. And no one called Steve?

Again, I hope Adam showed up at Steve's place to tell him the whole story and set up some plot where he appears to be the Yakuza's inside man but in actual fact he's setting them up for a hard takedown. Hope springs eternal.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, roamyn said:

PS why the heck is Adam back?  We were better off w/o him.

↑ I hate Adam and all his bullshit stories. Isn't he the prime suspect in a murder before he walked out and flew to Japan???

• Love 1
4 hours ago, preeya said:

NO AIR BAGS??  WTF!

Not that it’s an excuse, but Danny said he was driving a mid-size rental (What happened to the current Camaro?). And that shouldn’t be an excuse because even rental cars have airbags.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Was that a PSA for people injured in a remote place: If someone wants to go get help, do not beg them to stay. Your life depends on them getting help in time. 

I thought the dog PTSD story was going to be that his owner died of cancer and it turns out Steve has undiagnosed cancer. The flower story was better —especially since the flower owner didn’t turn out to be one of those Get Off Of My Lawn characters telling them Steve should keep his dog out of her flower garden. 

5 hours ago, preeya said:

NO AIR BAGS??  WTF!

Depending upon direction of impact, airbags don’t always open. 

Well, apart from everything already mentioned about first aid - how about making sure the next car driving along has to stop? If you can't flag down traffic on your own put something on the road instead, a warning triangle, bloody clothes, sticks and stones, anything.

Not sure what that plot was all about in the first place except giving us some really disturbing shots of Caan's ducktail falling apart. Also: what happened between him and Rachel, I thought they were fine? Also also: Kate Siegel looked so much like Mandy Moore that I expected Milo Ventimiglia to show up any moment. Even more also: best mascara ever! Her lashes were perfect right to the end!

But the cold open was great - poor Eddie 😞 

Glad Tani and Liu managed to provide some desperately needed comic relief. And although I was annoyed at Adam's appearance it cracked me up to see him and Steve embrace right after Tani and Liu had made fun of rom-com tropes: both dudes kept their eyes open clearly they're not trusting each other!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Incidentally, "We are sending an ambulance"??? How about a medi-vac helicopter? Certainly it would get there quicker than the ambulance. Even if all it did was drop off a paramedic, it still would be better than waiting for that ambulance (since it seemed like they were in the middle of nowhere since there was very little traffic on the road).

• Love 4

I like Danny and I think Scott Caan is a good actor, but this was an awful episode. So unrealistic with the girl. Why didn't he honk the horn sooner while she was leaning back, since that was the only thing that got him attention? And when the cops and paramedics show up, would they really let a clearly bleeding and injured man stagger slowly away down the highway without at least one first responder stopping to give him care? Particularly when said man is a member of 5-0? Just a stupid plot line. I knew right away she would die before giving him her name, which BTW my closed captioning said is "Leslie."

The Eddie plot was interesting but as someone else said, too easily resolved. 

The only instant that interested me was Steve's wary glance behind Adam's back. 

• Love 5

From reading all this and then the opening being 'oh you're asking what my name is?' because the woman came up to Danny and ordered drinks so that's not a fair question? I'm checked out not even 10 minutes in. Good thing you all are here. I usually will watch in one sitting, but this doesn't seem worth it.

Edited by DoctorAtomic

I actually did like this one.  It was different, and I like when they break from the procedural formula.I

My heart was in my throat through the entire opening scene, with Steve chasing Eddie across all those lanes of traffic.  That was well edited, because even though I knew Eddie was going to be OK, it still made me worried and anxious.

I also thought the Danny story was interesting.  He's living with Steve (temporarily) now, so it makes sense that he'd want to get away on his personal day and do something "Jersey" like go sit in a bar and watch an east coast hockey game.  But it is too early Hawaii time for his responsible self to be drinking, hence the pathetic glass of soda water while he sat forlornly at the bar.

It was a nice "meet cute" and Steve was a great telephone wing man.  The sudden sex in the bathroom was also an interesting character turn for Danny, and I didn't mind his mussed hair, because that was indicative of the passion and heat of the moment.  I was really hoping this was going to go somewhere, then *BAM*, nope.

I know Danny was dazed and concussed and probably not thinking straight, but he made a lot of mistakes at the accident scene that a veteran cop would know better than to do.  Even though she was complaining about her back, he never should have pulled her forward to examine her.  She had been saying she couldn't feel her legs, so he really, really should have let her be and wait for the professionals with the fancy extrication gear to get her out while supporting any spinal issues.  As soon as he pulled her forward and that shard that was impaling her came out, it was game over.  Leaving it in place where it was serving to block the blood flow was better than pulling it out to let it run free.  He's also should not have been changing the dressing, but piling more dressings on top and keeping as much pressure as possible.  And?  At the end?  Technically he was leaving the scene of an accident, which is against the law.  Doesn't matter that he was a victim, it still applies.  I'll give the writers that one, it was dramatic as hell, and it spoke to his despondency.  

Didn't Danny's other "meet cute" at the gas station, where the girl was asking directions and flirting, end badly after he impulsively turned out to follow her only to see her car run off the road after she's been hit by a random bullet?  Wait....was that Amber/Melissa?  Still gonna say that ended badly, though that was a slower train wreck.

Danny needs to drop his exclusive obsession with finding a nice Jersey girl, and find a local to make him happy.  Preferably Steve....  🙂

Edited by HurricaneVal
Ducking autocorrect!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Well 5 0 has never been totally realistic.  It's the old TV show doctor stuff that ignore reality to tell the story.

11 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I know Danny was dazed and concussed and probably not thinking straight, but he made a lot of mistakes at the accident scene that a veteran cop would know better than to do.  Even though she was complaining about her back, he never should have pulled her forward to examine her...  As soon as he pulled her forward and that shard that was impaling her came out, it was game over.  Leaving it in place where it was serving to block the blood flow was better than pulling it out to let it run free. ... And?  At the end?  Technically he was leaving the scene of an accident, which is against the law.  Doesn't matter that he was a victim, it still applies.  I'll give the writers that one, it was dramatic as hell, and it spoke to his despondency.  

Also some of his injuries suggested he was hurt worse than he was acting.  It reminds me of the old formula, the guy meets girl and she has to die/leave in order for him to remain single.  Can't have a happy relationship.

I was screaming no we need a scene with the gang or Steve with Danny.  So I do hope they show something next week as this won't be something he'll be over quickly.  I'm sure we are supposed to see him thinking about what things he could have done differently to have kept her alive.

Since I don't expect realism for this show I could go with it.  But it was sad. 

I do wonder if Steve will get Adam to spill what has happened.  I don't think Adam would really be a good spy.

• Love 1

Geez, is Scott leaving the show or something? I mean, with him appearing in fewer episodes, and then when he does show up, not having one scene with them except a phone call...only for them to have this horribly depressing episode. 

It just seems like it's an excuse for Danny to quit. Because otherwise, I can't think of a good reason for this to happen. The only message received is that Danny can't have nice things. 

• Love 1

Bit of a list here, not in order of importance:

In these days of #MeToo, Danny is going to illegally have sex in a public place, figuring the woman can yell rape at any second? She seemed awfully desperate to me, kind of wonder if she did this on a regular basis, in which case it would be worse.

Danny driving down the road with a car coming head on, and the woman has to say "does he see us?" Great reaction time, Danno. Why not try the horn at that point to get the attention of the driver well before you get to the danger zone? It wasn't a high speed highway, why not just pull over and stop, while honking the horn, before the swerve? Far better chance of surviving that type of crash. You can understand why Steve doesn't want him to drive.  

Now, to me, the most interesting open for the next show would be for Mrs. Wo Fat to make a call to a random henchman and ask "Where is number 17 and the target?" To which you hear the voice say "I don't know, they left the bar an hour ago...in other words, the woman was to pick up Danno and deliver him to Mrs. Fat out in the boonies somewhere.

The other opening that better happen is for Steve to ask Adam again about the watch when Tani and Liu are there so they can "read" his answer. If this is not addressed right away, further proof the writers are getting really lazy.

Veterinarians don't wear gloves when examining patients, unless there is a big old bacteria-filled abscess they want to avoid. I don't tape the shows, but did the Vet say to Eddie in the kitchen, "the last time I saw you was when you were shot"...which is 100% wrong. It was the dog bite from the dog park. Also interesting that she didn't offer any leads to Steve related to PTS, other than saying "I'm not an expert". Well, there is one on Oahu but she didn't know about it. Yet, Lou did...

Eddie had been through 2 handlers dying, why the conviction that it was a trigger around the first handler and not the second? Rather convenient and fast solution on that one as well. I feel for Steve's neighbors, who apparently are very physically close to him. Maybe they are used to the multiple gunfights and burglars and parties by now.

Really nice drivers in Hawaii, a loose dog on the highway with a guy trying to corral him and they don't even slow down or stop to help.

So, the Adam story plays out one of two ways, and I've got a third...Adam has gone back to crime, and will serve his new Master as eyes and ears. Come on, does anyone think given his background and general ineptitude, he could pull that off very long? Ditto with the other way if he becomes a "double agent" and is loyal to 5-0. Are we supposed to believe he can take down the Yakuza in Hawaii, which is basically a death sentence if he tries for him and the rest of the Team? Or, thirdly, he does indeed go bad and he and Danny manage to shoot and kill each other in the last episode, thus springing both actors to move on to different areas. Although, since last year ended with the gunshot that no one sees, I hope they don't do that 2 years in a row?  

• Love 2

Really Danny in the trying to get help. And Steve you would think would come to his rescue. Guess  they buried Rachel under the rug for now. As this girl of his dreams dies at the end of the episode. He probably could not think straight after the boy ran them off the road. And that sadly that guy was not caught but that is TV for ya. Note never be on the phone or texting while you are driving.

Eddie I thought got his P.T.S.D. there over on that of in the CIA ransacked Steve's house in the Magnum PI crossover. But it was due to the flowers and plants. 

Really Adam decide be legit or go back to your criminal ways as Steve is smart and will catch up to you if you are a double agent. Steve is smarter than you think Adam. Love Ian but really Adam has blown every single chance he has to go legit. Being a double agent is a double whammy and possibly a death sentence.

Please start giving Lou a more deeper role and really Chi's acting carries the show a bit. As he is becoming more of a father figure to Junior, Tani, and Quinn. Please hate that he does not have a larger role and miss McGrover a lot.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, GustheCat said:

In these days of #MeToo, Danny is going to illegally have sex in a public place, figuring the woman can yell rape at any second? She seemed awfully desperate to me, kind of wonder if she did this on a regular basis, in which case it would be worse.

Danny driving down the road with a car coming head on, and the woman has to say "does he see us?" Great reaction time, Danno. Why not try the horn at that point to get the attention of the driver well before you get to the danger zone? It wasn't a high speed highway, why not just pull over and stop, while honking the horn, before the swerve? Far better chance of surviving that type of crash. You can understand why Steve doesn't want him to drive.  

Veterinarians don't wear gloves when examining patients, unless there is a big old bacteria-filled abscess they want to avoid. I don't tape the shows, but did the Vet say to Eddie in the kitchen, "the last time I saw you was when you were shot"...which is 100% wrong. It was the dog bite from the dog park. Also interesting that she didn't offer any leads to Steve related to PTS, other than saying "I'm not an expert". Well, there is one on Oahu but she didn't know about it. Yet, Lou did...

So, the Adam story plays out one of two ways, and I've got a third...Adam has gone back to crime, and will serve his new Master as eyes and ears. Come on, does anyone think given his background and general ineptitude, he could pull that off very long? Ditto with the other way if he becomes a "double agent" and is loyal to 5-0. Are we supposed to believe he can take down the Yakuza in Hawaii, which is basically a death sentence if he tries for him and the rest of the Team? Or, thirdly, he does indeed go bad and he and Danny manage to shoot and kill each other in the last episode, thus springing both actors to move on to different areas. Although, since last year ended with the gunshot that no one sees, I hope they don't do that 2 years in a row?  

Well, the woman was seemingly an enthusiastic participant in the sex in the bathroom, so I don't see why all of a sudden scream rape.  Sounds like she was probably trying to keep from moaning.

Knew she was dead the minute Danno pulled her up and the blade came out of her back.  Doesn't Danny watch any medical shows?  Let the offending object remain so it stops the person from bleeding out.  What exactly happened to her legs?  The dashboard got caved in so it pinned her in?  And she was apparently bleeding so profusely from her legs as well that a bungee cord loosely wrapped around once was going to stem the bleeding?   Why didn't Danny try moving the seat back or reclining it to give more room?  And as others have said, why didn't he keep honking the horn?

So in that split second where the head-on driver ran them off the road, the woman caught part of the license plate?  Wow, that's pretty observant.  I doubt most people would be looking at the license plate.

I get that Danny was obviously upset that the woman of his dreams just died.  But he's going to stumble past three emergency vehicles who are racing to the scene?  And not even flag them down or tell them where the car is?  All the while, he's clearly been in some accident, has blood and dirt all over his clothes, yet nobody stops him?  What if he was some crazy axe murderer that just did the crime?  So unbelievable.  So he's planning to walk home?

What an incompetent vet.  If she's not there as Steve's love interest, why even bring her back?  So she's apparently dating somebody.  And agree - even if she is not a PTSD expert (so let's say your general internist is not a psychiatrist who would be able to help with PTSD), at the very least, she should be able to say "your dog has PTSD and needs to see a dog psychiatrist".  

I'm done with Adam.  I wish it was this actor that was filming some movie and needed to go on sabbatical.  His only purpose on the show before was Kono.  When Kono left, they had to give him some role, so they had him join 5-0.  Now that there's Tani, Junior, and Quinn, we don't need another extraneous guy.  Just let him go and be evil.  Which would be the most ridiculous scenario so that's probably what's going to happen.  All this time, Adam has changed and now is on the side of law enforcement.  But all of a sudden, he remembers his roots and now becomes sinister?  Yeah, for sure.

18 hours ago, GustheCat said:

Well, there is one on Oahu but she didn't know about it. Yet, Lou did...

Lou diagnosed Eddie's PTSD & contacted the Army vet about it (practically setting up an appointment), but at no time informs Steve of what he (Lou) thinks is wrong with Eddie, just waits until Steve calls him before notifying Steve of the arrangements!

• Love 2

Now, to me, the most interesting open for the next show would be for Mrs. Wo Fat to make a call to a random henchman and ask "Where is number 17 and the target?" To which you hear the voice say "I don't know, they left the bar an hour ago...in other words, the woman was to pick up Danno and deliver him to Mrs. Fat out in the boonies somewhere.

Gusthecat, I had hopes that that was the direction they were going to go in this episode.  I was waiting/hoping for her to pull out a gun, lead Danny into an ambush or pull off her “face” and reveal herself to be Mrs. Wo Fat.  

As far as the woman crying “rape”,  Danny should be aware of the danger of having sex with a stranger in a public place.  His reputation would be shot to hell.

In real life, a person in Danny’s position would be in a precarious position if the victim’s family wants to pursue the matter legally.  (Not to mention the police should be looking in to a fatal accident.).  There is no witness to the accident, so it is only his word that another driver was involved, let alone at fault.  And there is a bartender who can state that Danny had an alcoholic drink before getting in his car.

I know it won’t happen, but again, in real life, the local media would be all over a cop being behind the wheel in a fatal one-car accident.

Wouldn’t the police make sure to “contain” the driver involved in a fatal accident in order to do a BAC test?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I was over Steve and Danny sniping in the middle of the first season. Everyone else is way more interesting and I would love a show where Lou is in charge/mentoring Junes and Tani, with regular appearances by Katrina Law. She can handle the physicality as well as AOL so there's not much lost there.

• Love 2

Really wish in a sense Quinn was Steve's partner. They look at each other like partners on each other's level. As both click.

Adam really when are you going to know you can't fool Steve! He is smarter than you. And he will be onto you in a heartbeat. Really either be good or go back to your thugs of mafia "family." Wish you dumped your girlfriend.

Danny usually I like but can't believe I am writing this. But really they are making him out to be a jerk this season. Usually I save that for Steve who is actually being a lot more likable these days despite control freak needing to drive and being a jerk about it. Other than that, Steve really has developed but seem less and less of him these days despite being the star.

Danny and Rachel producers for now may have buried them for the time being under the rug. 

Tani being an instructor really cute! But enough with the kidnapping!

2 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Looks like they are setting it up for Danny's departure, not sure the show will last long without the rapport between McGarrett and Danno. I don't find the other characters all that interesting. Too many characters as well. Going the way of NCIS.

But when?  We've been saying that since season 7.  The only way Danny will leave is if CBS stops offering Scott Caan a contract.  I'm sure he would have been gone several seasons ago had they not had the DDK and GP disaster that Les Moonves caused.  At this point the show is in it's 10th season and I doubt it's going to pick up any more viewers and if Scott Caan keeps getting offered the deal he has been getting I doubt he'll turn it down.  What else does he have to do?

• Love 1
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Just my 2 cents said:

But when?  We've been saying that since season 7.  The only way Danny will leave is if CBS stops offering Scott Caan a contract.  I'm sure he would have been gone several seasons ago had they not had the DDK and GP disaster that Les Moonves caused.  At this point the show is in it's 10th season and I doubt it's going to pick up any more viewers and if Scott Caan keeps getting offered the deal he has been getting I doubt he'll turn it down.  What else does he have to do?

Regarding the bolded: Professionally, Scott actually has a lot he could be doing besides H50: acting in movies & plays (or other TV shows if he wished), teaching acting, writing movies & plays, directing (& possibly also producing) movies (& possibly also plays), photography. But he presumably needs his H50 salary to finance most or all of those other pursuits (or his lifestyle—& supporting/helping to support his daughter, who I think is 5 or almost 5, if not also helping to support her mother while engaged in those other pursuits—at least if they bring in comparably less money than playing Danny does these days).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an extraneous parenthesis.
11 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: Professionally, Scott actually has a lot he could be doing besides H50: acting in movies & plays (or other TV shows if he wished), teaching acting, writing movies & plays, directing (& possibly also producing) movies (& possibly also plays), photography. But he presumably needs his H50 salary to finance most or all of those other pursuits (or his lifestyle—& supporting/helping to support his daughter, who I think is 5 or almost 5, if not also helping to support her mother) while engaged in those other pursuits—at least if they bring in comparably less money than playing Danny does these days).

I do agree with you on this.  I do realize he has a lot of other activities he likes to pursue.  I probably shouldn't have worded that so generally.  If I were him, given the current contract he has now, I would continue to sign for as long as they would continue to offer me a contract.  He gets paid to do a certain amount of episodes per year and it affords him the opportunity to pursue other interests and provide for his family.  You're right his daughter is 5.  I heard a streaming or radio interview he did a month or two ago and he mentioned watching her play, He referred to her mom a couple of times as his wife, but also called her his gal, I guess not wanting to reveal too much personal information.  It wasn't about much of anything.  It just sounded like a couple of average guys having a conversation.  He basically sounded like a guy in his mid-40's trying to evaluate his life and figure out what comes next.  

Edited by Just my 2 cents
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Scott does have a lot of interests. Someone says he is like a Renaissance man there not just acting, but writing, directing, plays, photography, has a daughter. What strikes me he was not named as a producer like that of Alex.

Way back at the beginning of the series Peter Lenkov, H50’s showrunner & creator, & oftentimes episode writer/co-writer, commented in an interview that he thought Alex & Scott would probably be Executive Producers (equal to Lenkov & anyone else having that title) by Season 5. It didn’t happen, which surprised me because that’s about the time in a series star’s contract where you start throwing in perks like that to make them happy & keep the show going longer if the ratings are stable, the network shows no signs of wanting to cancel it, etc. Although when this perk is usually given to a series’ star, all that happens is that they get a salary bump because they have the title, maybe some other perk(s), but they don’t really have any of the “power” that goes along with the title, unless maybe their production company (if they have 1) is added to the other production companies which actually have been producing, & continue to produce, the show involved. For the actor/actress involved, the Executive Producer/Producer title is usually just a “vanity” thing.

Anyway... I kept checking the “behind the scenes” credits on the show every season since Season 5 & still no credit for Alex & Scott as Executive (or any other kind of) Producer... until this season, when Alex (but not Scott) finally got a credit as a Producer (but not the usual/expected Executive Producer).

I was surprised Scott wasn’t given the same credit because although Alex & Scott are billed #1 & #2 in the main title cast credits, the call sheets, etc., I’ve always heard they seem to be treated as if they share the #1 billing. Plus Scott actually has producing credit from before the show, whereas I don’t think Alex does.

The only reasons I can think of for Scott not getting the credit with Alex are: someone with the power to give him that credit decided he didn’t deserve it for some reason (but he might get it some other time if the show continues after this season—remember, the original ran 2 seasons longer than this version has so far); he was offered the title & declined it for whatever reason; or, & here’s the big reason, in my opinion... Scott doesn’t seem to care about the show as much as Alex does, & thereby Alex deserves the credit more. I will explain...

Back in the first couple of seasons, pretty much all of what we then called “the core four”, but Alex & Scott in particular (with Alex most in particular), did probably all the promotional TV & print interviews that were asked of them. Since then, & granted there have been a number of cast changes through the seasons, most of the promotional work has been done by Alex alone. He realizes it’s part of the job & he seems to do it happily... or at least without complaint. The last promotional thing I remember Scott doing was either an appearance on The Talk (I’m pretty sure with Alex) or by himself on Ellen DeGeneres’s talk show.

Then there’s the issue of, after the first season DVD’s came out, Scott has never done any of the cast episode commentaries, or been in any special features which have been created for the different seasons sets; he’s only been in the special features which are made up of scene clips or bloopers from the episodes. And when he, along with the rest of “the core four”, did the S1 DVD cast commentary for the Pilot, Scott sounded like he really didn’t wanna be there (in my opinion) &, he was talking about his dog, Dot, & mostly other stuff besides the episode. Then at 1 point Scott either really fell asleep or pretended to fall asleep & you heard him make that noise people make when they’re asleep & something startles them awake (I think it’s called a “hypnic jerk”). Ever since then, he hasn’t contributed anything that was newly-created for any season’s DVD set.

Then there’s the issues of the annual, & traditional, Hawaiian blessing of the show’s set/stage & the annual Sunset on the Beach season premiere event for the fans, where they show the upcoming season premiere episode on a big screen on Queen’s Beach in Waikīkī. No, neither requires attendance by the cast members, as far as I know, but Alex has a damn sight better attendance record at both events than Scott does.

Scott went to the first set blessing, as did all the lead cast; I don’t think he’s been to another since. I think Alex has been to 8 of the 10–1 season he was flying home from a trip with 1 or all of his sons & he missed the blessing because the plane was late. I can’t remember if he was at this season’s blessing or not, but for some reason I don’t think so.

Scott also went to the first season’s Sunset on the Beach (but I think Grace Park was a no-show, as I remember, then it was later said she was shy around a lot of people, or something). He was supposed to have gone the next season or the season after that, but his mom died of cancer right before & he had to fly back to the Mainland because of that. He’s been announced as coming every season, but of the 10 SOTB’s held I think Scott’s maybe been to 2... or 3 at the absolute most. Alex has been to at least most (8 or 9) of the 10; I’m not sure if he was there this season or not.

My point here is, Alex takes the responsibility of being #1 on the cast list very seriously &, for the most part, uncomplainingly does everything he’s asked that comes with the position—including the interviews, public appearances, & other things a series lead might try to get out of doing. So perhaps the Producer credit was a reward for that.

Also, this season & last Alex has been spreading his wings with directing a couple of episodes & either writing 2 episodes or suggesting the idea for 1 ep, which another writer wrote the actual filmed script for, & actually writing another ep. Perhaps the Producer credit was because Alex is serious about getting into more behind the scenes work in TV &/or movies after H50 ends. And I think, because Peter Lenkov knows Alex is interested in doing more than just acting, Alex is a legitimate Producer on the show this season, with actual power attached to that title; it’s not just the usual “vanity title contract perk” for Alex that it would be for many other stars.

Sorry for the long response.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Way back at the beginning of the series Peter Lenkov, H50’s showrunner & creator, & oftentimes episode writer/co-writer, commented in an interview that he thought Alex & Scott would probably be Executive Producers (equal to Lenkov & anyone else having that title) by Season 5. It didn’t happen, which surprised me because that’s about the time in a series star’s contract where you start throwing in perks like that to make them happy & keep the show going longer if the ratings are stable, the network shows no signs of wanting to cancel it, etc. Although when this perk is usually given to a series’ star, all that happens is that they get a salary bump because they have the title, maybe some other perk(s), but they don’t really have any of the “power” that goes along with the title, unless maybe their production company (if they have 1) is added to the other production companies which actually have been producing, & continue to produce, the show involved. For the actor/actress involved, the Executive Producer/Producer title is usually just a “vanity” thing.

Anyway... I kept checking the “behind the scenes” credits on the show every season since Season 5 & still no credit for Alex & Scott as Executive (or any other kind of) Producer... until this season, when Alex (but not Scott) finally got a credit as a Producer (but not the usual/expected Executive Producer).

I was surprised Scott wasn’t given the same credit because although Alex & Scott are billed #1 & #2 in the main title cast credits, the call sheets, etc., I’ve always heard they seem to be treated as if they share the #1 billing. Plus Scott actually has producing credit from before the show, whereas I don’t think Alex does.

The only reasons I can think of for Scott not getting the credit with Alex are: someone with the power to give him that credit decided he didn’t deserve it for some reason (but he might get it some other time if the show continues after this season—remember, the original ran 2 seasons longer than this version has so far); he was offered the title & declined it for whatever reason; or, & here’s the big reason, in my opinion... Scott doesn’t seem to care about the show as much as Alex does, & thereby Alex deserves the credit more. I will explain...

Back in the first couple of seasons, pretty much all of what we then called “the core four”, but Alex & Scott in particular (with Alex most in particular), did probably all the promotional TV & print interviews that were asked of them. Since then, & granted there have been a number of cast changes through the seasons, most of the promotional work has been done by Alex alone. He realizes it’s part of the job & he seems to do it happily... or at least without complaint. The last promotional thing I remember Scott doing was either an appearance on The Talk (I’m pretty sure with Alex) or by himself on Ellen DeGeneres’s talk show.

Then there’s the issue of, after the first season DVD’s came out, Scott has never done any of the cast episode commentaries, or been in any special features which have been created for the different seasons sets; he’s only been in the special features which are made up of scene clips or bloopers from the episodes. And when he, along with the rest of “the core four”, did the S1 DVD cast commentary for the Pilot, Scott sounded like he really didn’t wanna be there (in my opinion) &, he was talking about his dog, Dot, & mostly other stuff besides the episode. Then at 1 point Scott either really fell asleep or pretended to fall asleep & you heard him make that noise people make when they’re asleep & something startles them awake (I think it’s called a “hypnic jerk”). Ever since then, he hasn’t contributed anything that was newly-created for any season’s DVD set.

Then there’s the issues of the annual, & traditional, Hawaiian blessing of the show’s set/stage & the annual Sunset on the Beach season premiere event for the fans, where they show the upcoming season premiere episode on a big screen on Queen’s Beach in Waikīkī. No, neither requires attendance by the cast members, as far as I know, but Alex has a damn sight better attendance record at both events than Scott does.

Scott went to the first set blessing, as did all the lead cast; I don’t think he’s been to another since. I think Alex has been to 8 of the 10–1 season he was flying home from a trip with 1 or all of his sons & he missed the blessing because the plane was late. I can’t remember if he was at this season’s blessing or not, but for some reason I don’t think so.

Scott also went to the first season’s Sunset on the Beach (but I think Grace Park was a no-show, as I remember, then it was later said she was shy around a lot of people, or something). He was supposed to have gone the next season or the season after that, but his mom died of cancer right before & he had to fly back to the Mainland because of that. He’s been announced as coming every season, but of the 10 SOTB’s held I think Scott’s maybe been to 2... or 3 at the absolute most. Alex has been to at least most (8 or 9) of the 10; I’m not sure if he was there this season or not.

My point here is, Alex takes the responsibility of being #1 on the cast list very seriously &, for the most part, uncomplainingly does everything he’s asked that comes with the position—including the interviews, public appearances, & other things a series lead might try to get out of doing. So perhaps the Producer credit was a reward for that.

Also, this season & last Alex has been spreading his wings with directing a couple of episodes & either writing 2 episodes or suggesting the idea for 1 ep, which another writer wrote the actual filmed script for, & actually writing another ep. Perhaps the Producer credit was because Alex is serious about getting into more behind the scenes work in TV &/or movies after H50 ends. And I think, because Peter Lenkov knows Alex is interested in doing more than just acting, Alex is a legitimate Producer on the show this season, with actual power attached to that title; it’s not just the usual “vanity title contract perk” for Alex that it would be for many other stars.

Sorry for the long response.

Well you said it all B.W.. Took the words out of my mouth!

44 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Honestly, you can't beat a steady gig as an actor. There doesn't seem to be any indication that Scott isn't honoring the contract he negotiated. I would keep doing it too. 

Yeah I agree.  In that podcast or whatever it was Scott mentioned that at this point he knew no matter what he did at some point during interviews questions about his father were going to come up like they were in the podcast.  I suppose if you're doing an interview for a show you're on they probably want the focus to be on the show and not who your movie star parent is.  He also said that at some point in his life he'd finally gotten to not feeling he had something to prove to everybody.

In my long post (sorry again), I forgot to mention another thing which may have kept Scott from getting a Producer credit along with Alex this season.

Of all the original Core Four cast members, & probably most if not all of the other lead cast members who’ve come & gone over the last 10 seasons, arguably Scott has the most experience with writing & directing—although his expertise is really in movies & plays, I’d say it’s still similar enough to episodic TV.

Scott has never seemed interested in putting himself forward to write or direct an episode in the entire time the show has been on, while then-novices Daniel Dae Kim, Alex O’Loughlin, Chi McBride &, most recently, Ian Anthony Dale (Adam Noshimuri) have either directed, written/submitted an idea which was then put in script form by a writer for the show, or directed & written/submitted an idea which was then put in script form by a writer for the show.

Catching up. Resolution might have been tidy, but the Eddie storyline hit all the emotional buttons it set out to.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:03 AM, MissLucas said:

Well, apart from everything already mentioned about first aid - how about making sure the next car driving along has to stop? If you can't flag down traffic on your own put something on the road instead, a warning triangle, bloody clothes, sticks and stones, anything.

That was exactly my thought. He's got enough bloody shirts to work with, spread one in the middle of the road and at least a passing car would probably slow down long enough for him to get up there.

On 2/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I was over Steve and Danny sniping in the middle of the first season.

Got you beat, I was over it before the show started. (Online radio website I spent a lot of time listening to the summer prior played previews with the 'if you get somebody shot you aPOLogiiiize' line so many times it's still burned into my brain literally a damn decade later, so I was disposed to hate Danny from the jump.)

Eddie is the best actor on this show.

I'm a little bit of a prude so I always avert my eyes during the sex scenes and then peek to see if they're over, but honestly the most disturbing thing about that one was the way Danny's hair was flopping around.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:16 AM, DarkHorse said:

The actress playing Danny's love interest could easily play Angelina Jolie's sister or relative so similar looking.

I was looking at her the entire episode trying to figure out who she looked like and Angelina finally clicked. But not in a "could be her sister" kind of way for me; it's more like she's the woman in your office who looks like Angelina and you tell her that so then she's nice to you for a couple of days.

I had to laugh at Danny limping sadly down the road. Where you think you're going, fool?

• Love 2