Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E13: Exodus

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

If I were Kate, I'd not only have promoted Courtney in front of Simone, I'd have pulled off Simone's epaulets, ripped off her brass buttons, turned her uniform inside out, broken her sword in half, and then snapped the drumsticks they used to drum her out.  Why not go all the way with it, as long as we love the drama?  ⚔️

That is an impressive level of vitriol. I bet Kate would be on board as she considers Simone as the “other.”

I have seen Simone having simple human conversations with Courtney, Tanner, Brian and even Kevin who has been someone she really didn’t like. Kate? Not so much. Kate seems to feel some sort of way about Simone beyond being just the stew she decided to other this charter.

I know she thinks she is a puppy. Hmmmmm.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, mcjen said:

I may be wrong, but I thought Kate along with Rhylee, kept the others waiting for 40 minutes, not four.  Weren't there several shots back and forth, between the galley where the gang was, and Kate & Rhylee's room, with a clock at the bottom of the screen?  If it was, in fact, 40 minutes, I can better understand Ashton and the others being annoyed about it.  I'm a Kate fan, but this is one of those things that does bother me (keeping people waiting on her on a day off); it just seems unnecessarily inconsiderate.  Having her then dismiss their objections in a talking head by saying they are below her rank so she doesn't care was not a good look for her, either.

Does any of that justify Ashton's belligerence later that night?  Absolutely not!

One of the instances was 4 minutes. I recalled it because Ashton shouted it out that they were 4 minutes late as they were filing out. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, spunky said:

Clearly Kate could burn the boat down with Simone on it and you as well as other people would be okay with it, because Kate does no wrong. I’m so over people worshipping the ground a bully walks on, while continuing to drag the other person while they’re down. No wonder Kate saw it fit to refer to Simone as a puppy, because she knows her fans see nothing wrong with her behavior. Hopefully next season her entire team makes her life hell.

No, Kate does wrong. The whole thing with the speaker and shouting at Caroline through the door was uncalled for and unprofessional. However, Simone came into the boat with 2 years of experience (another poster said 1 so maybe it was just 1 but my point still stands). With 1-2 years of experience, she should have a base level knowledge of service. She should know to ask people if they need something, how to serve people, how to open a wine bottle, how to make a mimosa, etc. She also said on her CV that she was a sous chef yet she doesn’t know how to slice limes for drinks. I can understand why Kate would be frustrated with her. It is similar to Hannah’s frustration with Kasey but at least Kasey was picking up on stuff once she stopped puking. Simone wants everything to be explicitly taught to her and on charters is not the place to do that. She volunteered and said she liked doing laundry. 

As far as your point about Kate promoting Courtney in front of her. Would it have been better for Kate to have done it behind Simone’s back for Simone to find out later? I would think that would be worse actually. It was a great opportunity for Simone to step up and say, “Ok, what can I do to improve?” Show some initiative, take time when they are off charter and ASK to be taught specific things. Come up with your own improvement plan and work on it!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I must have missed that one. What was the circumstance that Kate referred to Simone a puppy?

In her talking head about training Simone, she said something along the lines of Simone is like a puppy that needs to be house broken. I don’t care what your position is comparing anyone, especially a Black person to an animal is offensive.

3 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

That is an impressive level of vitriol. I bet Kate would be on board as she considers Simone as the “other.”

I have seen Simone having simple human conversations with Courtney, Tanner, Brian and even Kevin who has been someone she really didn’t like. Kate? Not so much. Kate seems to feel some sort of way about Simone beyond being just the stew she decided to other this charter.

I know she thinks she is a puppy. Hmmmmm.

All of this 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

............ But I don't understand why the boat doesn't keep an air mattress or a cot on board for situations like this.  .......

My thoughts exactly. I would sleep on the cot or air mattress rather than share a bed with a woman I had just met.

• Love 2

If Simone could do her job correctly and showed a propensity for learning and growth in her position this would all be a moot point.  We also wouldn't still be talking about it, which of course is what Bravo wants us to do.

I've been a legal secretary for almost 40 years.  I learn something new to improve my job performance almost daily.  I have to seek out opportunities to do so.  Isn't that what we are supposed to strive for?

• Love 9
16 hours ago, diadochokinesis said:

No, Kate does wrong. The whole thing with the speaker and shouting at Caroline through the door was uncalled for and unprofessional. However, Simone came into the boat with 2 years of experience (another poster said 1 so maybe it was just 1 but my point still stands). With 1-2 years of experience, she should have a base level knowledge of service. She should know to ask people if they need something, how to serve people, how to open a wine bottle, how to make a mimosa, etc. She also said on her CV that she was a sous chef yet she doesn’t know how to slice limes for drinks. I can understand why Kate would be frustrated with her. It is similar to Hannah’s frustration with Kasey but at least Kasey was picking up on stuff once she stopped puking. Simone wants everything to be explicitly taught to her and on charters is not the place to do that. She volunteered and said she liked doing laundry. 

As far as your point about Kate promoting Courtney in front of her. Would it have been better for Kate to have done it behind Simone’s back for Simone to find out later? I would think that would be worse actually. It was a great opportunity for Simone to step up and say, “Ok, what can I do to improve?” Show some initiative, take time when they are off charter and ASK to be taught specific things. Come up with your own improvement plan and work on it!

And she shouldn't liken Simone or anyone to a puppy. But yeah, she came with two years of experience and the only skill she seemed to have perfected during that time was ironing.

• Love 5

I could understand the stance that Kate is treating Simone unfairly if she just left her in laundry the entire time. But she was really trying to be fair at the beginning of the season. She would bring Simone up to help out with service. And Simone was like a deer in headlights. It wasn't just her lack of knowledge; the problem was her inability/refusal to try and accommodate the guests. She just seems really bad with people. She becomes really quiet and awkward. She never once asked the guests if she could get them anything else. I'm of the opinion that she is not cut out for service, of any kind.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, politichick said:

And she shouldn't liken Simone or anyone to a puppy. But yeah, she came with two years of experience and the only skill she seemed to have perfected during that time was ironing.

Plus she didn’t piddle on the floors in doors.

That’s the level of Kate’s regard.

Talk about your bigotry of low expectations.

8 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Is the season over and the final episode is tonight? I get so confused since this show is repeated over and over on the cable networks in my area.

No there are one or two more episodes. The reunion tonight is to mark 100 eps of the show.

• Love 1
Just now, PaperTree said:

Just re-watching how giddy Simone was at the prospect of Kate not coming back and thinking that a new chief stew was going to magically appear and make her life rainbows and unicorns, or something.

Rather than how it probably would have been with the new person being even more annoyed than Kate if they were expected to get used to the boat and train a person in the two-ish weeks they have left!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I hate Ashton. He is a misogynistic bully.   Is supposed to be a leader and not be chums with the other boys. He talks about Kate and Riley to the other man in his staff. That is not leadership.  That is what bullies do. They try to round up everybody else so that the person that is being bullied is all alone.  The other guys are childish for following along and be raiding Kate and  Riley. And the chef is a douche. This has to be one of the worst all around crews.

• Love 7
On 1/2/2020 at 2:54 PM, ghoulina said:

I agree. When you book any type of trip/accommodations, it's up to you to figure out sleeping arrangements.

Honestly, the two thinner women, who seem to get along, should have shared the queen bed.  But of course that peach Jamie would not deign to even share a room at all with another person so even that would not have solved the problem.   Definitely this is on the primary.  Sleeping arrangements should have been a consideration in putting together the group in the first place.  But he seems to be so checked out or drugged up or something.  At one point, wasn't he leaning back at the table, wearing his napkin on his chest like a bib?  Really classy there.

That "chef" looks like Sandra Bernhardt's way-dumber cousin.  Which is a shame because I love me some Sandra Bernhardt.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 1
On 1/5/2020 at 8:14 PM, diadochokinesis said:

It was shitty. It was shitty because Kate has never taken the initiative to preemptively to tell Simone that Simone is bad at her job. Simone had to force it out of Kate. People will chastise Ashton for talking shit about Rhylee to the deck brüs, Tanner and Brian, or setting Rhylee up to fail, but develop amnesia when Kate does pretty much the same thing. Even after forcing it out it out of her, Kate wasn't particularly specific in her critique of Simone's failings. If your subordinate has to confront you to get a performance evaluation, you aren't a great boss. If your subordinate has to drag a critique with actual specifics out of you, you aren't a good boss. After all of the that if your subordinate has to develop her own improvement plan on all on her own, you're a bad boss. Kate is a bad boss.

She can't stand Kevin and doesn't like him talking shit about her, but was more than willing to talk shit about Simone to Kevin. Kate accuses Simone of embarrassing the department because Simone asked her co-workers for advice on how to deal with job dissatisfaction, but Kate turns around and hypocritically does much worse by complaining about Simone to everyone. People have an issue with Ashton talking to Lee and everyone on the deck crew about how problematic Rhylee is, but turn mute when Kate has done similar things with Simone. Oh, but it's cool because Simone is bad at her job. It's bad either way. It might have been forgivable if Kate had been inquiring how to teach Simone considering that Kate doesn't have the time or bandwidth to give Simone a lot of one on one attention. It's not. She was just denigrating Simone in front of others. Kate has also just stopped looking at Simone and stopped speaking to her. It's fucking gross.

No one is saying that Simone is a good 2nd stew. She isn't. Furthermore, she's not great at picking up job skills via observation and not direct instruction. However, all of Kate's worst qualities were on display during that promotion scene. It wasn't purely about commending Courtney's work and acquisition of new skills. Kate said in her talking head that maybe it would embarrass Simone into becoming a good 2nd stew. Great leadership there. Humiliating someone to excellence is a strategy that works 100% of the time. Please sign me up for a Kate leadership seminar. We've never once witnessed Lee do anything like that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/6/2020 at 3:11 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

That’s the level of Kate’s regard.

Talk about your bigotry of low expectations

I want to understand your point but I don't.  I honestly don't get it. Help?

• Love 1
On January 4, 2020 at 9:16 PM, PaperTree said:

"Just a bitch", so she deserves the abuse.  OK....

She is superior to everyone else on this crew

No one said she deserves "abuse" but she does deserve to be called out for being the bitch she is and put in her place.   While she may out rank other crew members, she is not "superior" to them or to anyone else.

Edited by AnnA
13 hours ago, AnnA said:

No one said she deserves "abuse" but she does deserve to be called out for being the bitch she is and put in her place.   While she may out rank other crew members, she is not "superior" to them or to anyone else.

I’m going to say that anyone is superior to those who have a drunken alter ego they handily assert to take the blame/responsibility of their messy behavior. I’m going to say that anyone is superior to those who resort to violence and aggression against others who don’t volunteer to gleefully stroke their ego(or other parts).

*Anyone*, including the “bitch”.  

• Love 9
On January 7, 2020 at 11:23 AM, HunterHunted said:

It was shitty. It was shitty because Kate has never taken the initiative to preemptively to tell Simone that Simone is bad at her job. Simone had to force it out of Kate. People will chastise Ashton for talking shit about Rhylee to the deck brüs, Tanner and Brian, or setting Rhylee up to fail, but develop amnesia when Kate does pretty much the same thing. Even after forcing it out it out of her, Kate wasn't particularly specific in her critique of Simone's failings. If your subordinate has to confront you to get a performance evaluation, you aren't a great boss. If your subordinate has to drag a critique with actual specifics out of you, you aren't a good boss. After all of the that if your subordinate has to develop her own improvement plan on all on her own, you're a bad boss. Kate is a bad boss.

She can't stand Kevin and doesn't like him talking shit about her, but was more than willing to talk shit about Simone to Kevin. Kate accuses Simone of embarrassing the department because Simone asked her co-workers for advice on how to deal with job dissatisfaction, but Kate turns around and hypocritically does much worse by complaining about Simone to everyone. People have an issue with Ashton talking to Lee and everyone on the deck crew about how problematic Rhylee is, but turn mute when Kate has done similar things with Simone. Oh, but it's cool because Simone is bad at her job. It's bad either way. It might have been forgivable if Kate had been inquiring how to teach Simone considering that Kate doesn't have the time or bandwidth to give Simone a lot of one on one attention. It's not. She was just denigrating Simone in front of others. Kate has also just stopped looking at Simone and stopped speaking to her. It's fucking gross.

No one is saying that Simone is a good 2nd stew. She isn't. Furthermore, she's not great at picking up job skills via observation and not direct instruction. However, all of Kate's worst qualities were on display during that promotion scene. It wasn't purely about commending Courtney's work and acquisition of new skills. Kate said in her talking head that maybe it would embarrass Simone into becoming a good 2nd stew. Great leadership there. Humiliating someone to excellence is a strategy that works 100% of the time. Please sign me up for a Kate leadership seminar. We've never once witnessed Lee do anything like that. 

Well said.......Thank you.

Yes.  Kate is a bad boss.

20 hours ago, AnnA said:

What or where is her place, and how does one put her there?

• Love 10