Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Reality Checks Don't Bounce

• Start Topic

Dex is hired by a famous TV judge to help find his prodigal brother but soon finds that she is not the only one looking for him. Elsewhere, after a carjacking under his watch, Hoffman enlists Grey’s help in tracking down the carjackers. Back at home, Dex isn’t prepared for Ansel’s unexpected news.

Airing on Wednesday, January 8, 2020.

1 minute ago, sempervivum said:

We're supposed to believe that DEX would go on a 'judge' show? I did like the rest of the episode, though.

I assumed she got paid to do it, but I really don't know how those shows work.
It was my favorite COTW so far, even though I was multi-tasking while it was on.

So did Ansel move out because he thought Dex couldn't be an "adult" unless he did? I had thought he made the decision because he was in the middle of the Dex-Grey-Liz triangle because he told Grey that Dex and Liz had a sleepover.

• Love 4

That was cool of Grey to let Ansel move in for awhile. I loved Ansel putting a picture of him and Dex up on the dresser, and the keychain he gave her. It’s obviously hard for Dex, but she did the right thing in letting him be his own person. 

So Miles basically forced Grey to go undercover. I foresee this not ending well for some reason. 

• Love 11

So Ansel left his own room with and bed, computer and TV in a house where he is home alone most of the time to go sleep on Grey's couch? That proves Ansel is not a responsible adult.

I think those court TV shows pay whoever wins the amount they are owed and then provides room and board for both parties. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

It hadn't occurred to me that Ansel moved out FOR DEX'S SAKE. But if that was his reason, then moving in with Grey at least makes a little sense. But he told Dex he found a place already-- with people like himself-- and I would have been interested in seeing how he did that and what it was like, not just have him mention that it happened off screen, and then have him drop it right away.

I'd also like to see Ansel have some story that isn't about the disability. Just let him be a character that has a life.

They brought back the tape deck but for so few seconds that I'm thinking they didn't want to actually pay song royalites. It wasn't effective used that way.

Miles forcing Grey undercover was really bad. Miles is turning into a bad dude.

Still underlying Cameron Manheim, but I do like her, as much as she's around.

I hate that the ads are trying to sell the show based on lots of triangles. The triangles are the thing I like the least about the show.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, possibilities said:

It hadn't occurred to me that Ansel moved out FOR DEX'S SAKE. But if that was his reason, then moving in with Grey at least makes a little sense. But he told Dex he found a place already-- with people like himself-- and I would have been interested in seeing how he did that and what it was like, not just have him mention that it happened off screen, and then have him drop it right away.

I'd also like to see Ansel have some story that isn't about the disability. Just let him be a character that has a life.

They brought back the tape deck but for so few seconds that I'm thinking they didn't want to actually pay song royalites. It wasn't effective used that way.

Miles forcing Grey undercover was really bad. Miles is turning into a bad dude.

Still underlying Cameron Manheim, but I do like her, as much as she's around.

I hate that the ads are trying to sell the show based on lots of triangles. The triangles are the thing I like the least about the show.

Miles is a bad guy all of a sudden? Oh please

• Love 1
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

That's the part I was confused about. Either Ansel was lying about the reason for moving out, hence him not telling the truth about already having a place to live, or there's some serious retcon...in the same episode. At least have a throwaway line about how the place isn't ready for him for another month but Dex is still willing to give him a trial run at Grey's or something.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I agree, but it does seem like they're actively trying to do that. We know Ansel is capable of caring for himself. He's held down a job, so the next step is to see him hanging out with friends. 

I didn't mind Dex's case, but it was blatantly obvious it was more used for her storyline with Ansel. So I was just waiting for that realization with Dex. Nonetheless, it was done fairly well.

I am not a fan of Miles forcing Grey undercover. It adds a shade of grey to Miles, at least, so he's on a similar level to Grey/Dex. But still, Grey going undercover shouldn't end well at all, if my expertise in television has anything to say about it. Which will also add some drama between Miles and Dex...but hey, at least it won't just be people mad at Dex for doing something wrong, so that works for me! It will also add more to Miles as a character, who we've seen almost go over the line several episodes ago.

Show, can you PLEASE use Cosgrove more? Camryn Manheim is too good to not use more often.

• Love 8

Miles basically blackmailing Grey into going undercover for him is going to go so, terribly badly. Its especially weird as Grey was apparently open to help him out earlier, he probably could have been convinced to help pretty easily (especially if Miles could promise to help him out with stuff that an ex con might struggle with) without Miles having to get all "shame if I happened to look into..." stuff. I was really enjoying them teaming up before that though, if we must do this love triangle, I would at least like for everyone to act like kind of adults about this. I mean, didn't Miles already get a CI killed, and that was his whole angsty deal? Should he still be so cavalier about this, especially with the best friend of the woman he has a thing for? 

The case of the week was fun (they did a great job at recreating one of those day time courtroom shows with audience participation and ridiculous cases) if rather on the nose with the brother stuff. It was clearly all about her feelings about Ansel to move out, but it was a fun ride, so I didnt mind. We even got a brief reappearance of the mix-tape!

I can understand why Ansel wants to move out I think, wanting more independence and I think he does think that he is doing Dex a favor, even if she probably disagrees, so I hope this gives him an opportunity to get some more of his own stories and get some more development. I think the show does a pretty good job at making Ansel an actual person and not a plot device to give Dex stuff to do, and I think this could be a step in the right direction to do more. 

The commercials need to stop focusing so much on the love triangle, its my leave favorite part of the show! Maybe there are some people who are super into love triangles, but most people I know find them to be mostly a pain in the ass. 

I liked the bit where Dex was saying that she feels like she and Grey are co-parenting with Ansel, and Grey said that they were all adults here. I do think that Dex tends to see Ansel as someone she needs to look after (understandably, considering she is his big sister and its implied they had a hard time growing up) while Grey more sees him as an adult who has some special needs but is also fully his own person. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11

I didn't get Ansel wanting to move out because he's old enough to be on his own and has been saving his money so he can do just that, then is all excited to move in with Grey and sleep on his couch so now Grey can watch over him. What was up with that. I guess he just wanted to get away from Dex, nothing else makes sense.

I didn't really get the COOW except it was suppose to compare the judge/brother to Dex/Ansel. I never did see any cats or anything else in those cages. Maybe because I didn't care enough to look.

I thought Miles was homocide and now he's auto theft? He gets one vehicle back and now he's transferred to that division? And blackmailing Grey wasn't cool, dude. You should be busted for that, Miles. I hope you feel good about your selfish self when you get Grey killed.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I thought Miles was homocide and now he's auto theft? He gets one vehicle back and now he's transferred to that division? And blackmailing Grey wasn't cool, dude. You should be busted for that, Miles. I hope you feel good about your selfish self when you get Grey killed.

I don't think he was transferred over. Miles mentioned that the suspect they had in their custody revealed that the people he worked for weren't JUST stealing cars and it was worse than that. Now, it's true that Miles couldn't technically put Grey undercover in a non-homicide case, but I'd have to assume that he did, or would, get approval from Cosgrove to look into it more. So, Miles is still in homicide, but since he was put on this case by his boss' boss and it seems to go deeper, he's simply following through.

But yeah, it seemed like Miles/Grey were kind of finding solid ground with each other, and then Miles ruins whatever cordialness they could have had with blackmailing Grey into going undercover for him. 

But hey, when we have Grey and Dex, who have done equally shady things, it's not like Miles is the worst of the worst here. Just like I wasn't happy with Grey and the whole Liz/Dex situation, or with Dex with a few of her stories this season, I can also not be happy with Miles' choice this episode...though I love that Grey and Miles are working together. It gets Grey more involved, so them making Grey a criminal was actually the perfect plot twist.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't really get the COOW except it was suppose to compare the judge/brother to Dex/Ansel. I never did see any cats or anything else in those cages. Maybe because I didn't care enough to look.

There was no civets in the cages because they were held up in customs. This was why he couldn't make any money. His brother at the end offered him $250,000.00 to get his civets back.

Yes, Miles is in homicide, not in auto theft and Grey primarily breaks into bank vaults, but has done some auto thefts.

• Love 1

It's illegal in Portland to pump your own gas, so that whole gas station scenario was bogus. It took me completely out of the episode. I enjoy this show a lot, except for any and all of the sexual stuff, including the triangle bits.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, QTBlueMoon said:

It's illegal in Portland to pump your own gas, so that whole gas station scenario was bogus. It took me completely out of the episode. I enjoy this show a lot, except for any and all of the sexual stuff, including the triangle bits.

I wondered about this....my sister lives there and that is what I remembered, but i didn't have time to call her to ask....

I feel a bit meh about this episode. Not a fan of using a COW to mirror the protagonist's personal problems with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Ansel's plot makes zero sense to me. And another vote for more Cosgrove!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I assumed she got paid to do it, but I really don't know how those shows work.

There's a blurb at the end of the show (People's Court, anyway), that says something like  "Participants are paid an appearance fee for the show.  Judgements awarded are subtracted from the fee."

• Love 3

I do like the idea of Miles and Grey working together, but Miles making it clear who has the power was uncomfortable.  I understand why; Grey does owe him in a big way.  I hope that in time they can get to a more level relationship.  At the beginning of the episode I was sympathizing with Miles and his bewildered/horrified facial expressions while dealing with the Captain's wife.

Part of Dex's reaction to Ansel's plan was that she didn't want him living with strangers.  Grey is a middle ground that lets him get out of the house without going straight to a group home of some sort.  He's sleeping on a sofa, so I don't think it is anyway a long term arrangement.  It's a trial run.  And maybe he can use this time to introduce Dex to the place he eventually wants to live.

I hope Grey mentions that he is going undercover for Miles to Dex.  If things get difficult he might be seen as putting Ansel in danger again.  I would rather not see that again.

• Love 3
On 1/9/2020 at 1:58 AM, AnimeMania said:

So Ansel left his own room with and bed, computer and TV in a house where he is home alone most of the time to go sleep on Grey's couch?

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't get Ansel wanting to move out because he's old enough to be on his own and has been saving his money so he can do just that, then is all excited to move in with Grey and sleep on his couch so now Grey can watch over him.

3 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

Part of Dex's reaction to Ansel's plan was that she didn't want him living with strangers.  Grey is a middle ground that lets him get out of the house without going straight to a group home of some sort.  He's sleeping on a sofa, so I don't think it is anyway a long term arrangement.  It's a trial run. 

What happened to the loft Liz was sleeping in?  Isn't that above the bar?

• Love 3

I do not understand the rationale for Ansel moving. He wanted to be independent, he wanted to be "with the people like [him]", but he ended up moving with Grey? And he would sleep on the couch? What was the point?

An LMAO moment when people in the bar gathered in front of the TV intently following... Canadian football game? I did not know that the CFL was that popular in Portland. And since when there was a fourth down in Canadian football?

If the judge made $31M p.a., then his show was quite successful. Now, is there any TV judge show filmed outside of NY or LA?

21 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

An LMAO moment when people in the bar gathered in front of the TV intently following... Canadian football game? I did not know that the CFL was that popular in Portland. And since when there was a fourth down in Canadian football?

If the judge made $31M p.a., then his show was quite successful. Now, is there any TV judge show filmed outside of NY or LA?

The NFL has enormous licensing fees for using their footage in a TV show, most shows use College (and I guess Canadian football) as a cheaper substitute.

Offering an all expenses paid trip to NY or LA is part of why the people are willing to air their dirty laundry on TV. The other part is they will get their settlement paid in full by the TV show if they win their case. A TV judge based in Portland would probably get more surrounding area cases than the NY or LA TV judges.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, QTBlueMoon said:

Get out of my head! I was just coming here to complain about him pumping his own gas! They've done a good job of giving the show a Portlandy feel, and then they slip up on something so major? Sigh....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Offering an all expenses paid trip to NY or LA is part of why the people are willing to air their dirty laundry on TV. The other part is they will get their settlement paid in full by the TV show if they win their case. A TV judge based in Portland would probably get more surrounding area cases than the NY or LA TV judges.

I was thinking more of how unrealistic it was to have a TV judge show filmed in Portland.

6 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

You would think a policeman would know this.

It was not mistake of Miles as a character, though. It was that the writers did not know their own settings. In Oregon and New Jersey, all gas stations are manned. Therefore motorists do not even have the chance to get off the car and pump themselves.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Why did they make a law banning people from pumping their own gas?

3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Short answer, probably to maintain some employment.

Longer answers: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filling_station_attendant

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/05/nyregion/new-jersey-gas-pump.html

—not sure if safety is/was a real factor

But since Portland population is way bigger than 40,000, they still wouldn’t be pumping their own gas. I wonder if it was a directorial choice because most of the viewers would think it was weird if they didn’t pump their own gas. 

• Love 1
On 1/9/2020 at 4:49 PM, QTBlueMoon said:

It's illegal in Portland to pump your own gas, so that whole gas station scenario was bogus.

I don't know why they felt the need to include that shot of him pumping gas. They could have just had the wife insisting that they had to stop at 7/11 or a gas station to pick up cigarettes or a snack and then the rest of the scene could have played out the same while he was inside.

• Love 4

Everything about this episode was confusing and disjointed.

The writers chose the weirdest possible way to force Miles and Grey to interact outside of Dex, since it clashes horribly with the previous Miles's characterization. So from the beginning Miles's arc was in part about his CI's death and his guilt related to that. Yet Miles wasted no time to rope Grey into his police business and later in the episode he decided to outright blackmail Grey to make him work with dangerous criminals who can get Grey killed. What is Miles's characterization, then? Does he ever learn, or do we now have a dubious pleasure to witness Miles's "come to Jesus" moment (he already learned three episodes ago)?

Grey was... kind of there. His zen is probably not conductive with the type of moronic conflict the writers try to implement with him and Miles.

What's up with Ansel deciding to move out and that entire conflict between him and Dex and Dex's potential growing up, if Ansel just moved in... with Grey? How is that different to living at their house with Dex? What was the point of that entire storyline? I don't get it. I don't thing the show gets it either.

I was profoundly bored by super awkward Dex & Ansel and the tv judge & his worthless idiot of a brother parallels. One of those things is not like the other, show.

• Love 2

I really really hate the cop forcing Grey to go undercover. I just feel like I dont want to watch it. It also feels like he's doing it bc he's angry about Dex. Are we supposed to feel like he's a bad guy? Bc it seems that way to me.

I'm also not sure it's true to the character that he would force someone to go undercover given his feelings about the last time.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, cleo said:

I'm also not sure it's true to the character that he would force someone to go undercover given his feelings about the last time.

Miles is in career saving mode....a transfer to Missing House Pets is inevitable if he fails to bring down the insidious criminal mastermind behind the carjacking.

Miles is in career saving mode....a transfer to Missing House Pets is inevitable if he fails to bring down the insidious criminal mastermind behind the carjacking.

Except he did make an arrest...Mile's career in jeopardy is not at all how it came across to me. It seemed purely a personal choice and his targeting Grey seems a little vindictive. I think as with other things the show is all over the place in terms of character and plot. But mileage varies of course... 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, paigow said:

He did bring the stolen car back, didn't her, though? The plan for investigating the carjacking ring further was his own idea.

• Love 1
On 1/8/2020 at 11:58 PM, AnimeMania said:

So Ansel left his own room with and bed, computer and TV in a house where he is home alone most of the time to go sleep on Grey's couch? That proves Ansel is not a responsible adult

that's pretty ridiculous, I certainly took a lifestyle downgrade when I moved out of my parent's place, that didn't make me less of an adult (though who really is an adult at 18). Accepting that you have to make sacrifices to get what you want is part of being a responsible adult.

• Love 2
On 1/8/2020 at 8:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

So did Ansel move out because he thought Dex couldn't be an "adult" unless he did? I had thought he made the decision because he was in the middle of the Dex-Grey-Liz triangle because he told Grey that Dex and Liz had a sleepover.

On 1/8/2020 at 10:58 PM, AnimeMania said:

So Ansel left his own room with and bed, computer and TV in a house where he is home alone most of the time to go sleep on Grey's couch? That proves Ansel is not a responsible adult.

It proves he wanted to get out on his own. Comfort and convenience isn't the only thing adults want.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:49 AM, tennisgurl said:

The commercials need to stop focusing so much on the love triangle, its my leave favorite part of the show! Maybe there are some people who are super into love triangles, but most people I know find them to be mostly a pain in the ass.

Thankfully, I watch this on Hulu, so I never see the promos (and never watch the teasers for next week).

On 1/9/2020 at 4:49 PM, QTBlueMoon said:

It's illegal in Portland to pump your own gas, so that whole gas station scenario was bogus. It took me completely out of the episode.

In the entire state, actually. With a few non-24 hour rural exceptions, I think. Only recently allowed. But since the show is for the entire US and beyond, I'm willing to handwave it as an attempt to make it more realistic for viewers in other states. It's really easy to get used to...

On 1/9/2020 at 8:32 PM, MisterGlass said:

Part of Dex's reaction to Ansel's plan was that she didn't want him living with strangers.  Grey is a middle ground that lets him get out of the house without going straight to a group home of some sort.  He's sleeping on a sofa, so I don't think it is anyway a long term arrangement.  It's a trial run.  And maybe he can use this time to introduce Dex to the place he eventually wants to live.

Her reaction was so intense, that I knew she was flashing back to when Ansel was removed from their childhood home and she couldn't help (mentioned in some other episode). Ansel is pretty good at picking up on emotion, so I agree, Grey's is a middle ground to let Dex get used to it, not a middle ground for him.

• Love 3
On 1/11/2020 at 7:59 AM, CooperTV said:

What's up with Ansel deciding to move out and that entire conflict between him and Dex and Dex's potential growing up, if Ansel just moved in... with Grey? How is that different to living at their house with Dex? What was the point of that entire storyline? I don't get it. I don't thing the show gets it either.

I didn't get the impression that the writers don't know what they're doing. It made perfect sense to me. Grey saw that Dex was freaking out, but he also empathized with Ansel, so he came up with a compromise that can be used as a stepping stone for both of them. Dex can get used to the idea of not having Ansel around the house and being his primary caretaker, and Ansel can make sure that he really does want to move out. Not everyone makes their life changes in one big move--sometimes it's a process, and this gets the process started.

On 1/9/2020 at 8:32 PM, MisterGlass said:

I hope Grey mentions that he is going undercover for Miles to Dex.  If things get difficult he might be seen as putting Ansel in danger again.  I would rather not see that again.

The promo shows Dex teasing the guys about it, so it definitely seems like she knows, although it's not clear whether she knows that Grey was coerced.

I get that Grey could be argued to owe Hoffman a favor after Hoffman got him out of jail time earlier in the season, but blackmailing Grey into going undercover was still pretty shitty. Before I saw the promo for 1x11, I thought that maybe Dex would think Grey was acting squirrely, do some investigating, and think that he was getting back into crime. But since it seems like she knows the guys are working together, it has to go wrong in some other way.

1) With the known backstory of Hoffman getting his CI killed, it seems likely that Grey may wind up getting shot or otherwise seriously hurt. I have to assume he would survive this because it makes no sense to spend so much time establishing his relationship with Dex only to kill him off. I also can't imagine it would seem like a good idea to anyone to have one side of the love triangle get the other side killed (in the first season, no less!). That just seems like a really effective way to kill the whole triangle, because who would 'ship Dex with Hoffman after that?!

2) It could also parallel what happened between Dex, Grey, and Liz. Maybe Dex will be too quick to believe that Grey put Ansel's life in danger when Hoffman is really to blame? Or maybe Grey will be tempted to get back into crime for real and Dex will blame Hoffman? Either way, I could see this ending with Hoffman giving Dex a speech similar to the one that Liz gave Grey.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:23 PM, possibilities said:

On 1/9/2020 at 10:49 AM, tennisgurl said:

I do not understand the writerly obsession with love triangles, either. They must have access to a lot of info that we don't that says that it gets people to watch. I'm actually a pretty hopeless romantic--I love a good love story with some decent chemsitry and UST--but even I don't really enjoy triangles.

Though to be fair, I don't even think the triangle on the show is actually that bad--despite the fact that the recap focused on it almost exclusively, it was a pretty minor part of the episode. The promos are deeply, deeply obnoxious about it, though. 

Edited by LaMatadita

One thing I did like was how Liz is definitely in the past.  They were going to talk about it, wonder if they could be friends again now that everyone understands that Liz was a case and was into head games, but nah, why bother?  They just do a shot and understand that it isn't going to screw up their friendship.  So basically that storyline didn't amount to anything, but I'm so glad that Liz is gone that that's fine.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, jabRI said:

Why did she break up with the detective? i missed that part and don't feel like re-watching it to find out.

He broke up with her after the whole Grey's girlfriend supposedly slept with her thing. There may have been more to it, but I don't remember.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:32 AM, Clanstarling said:
On 1/20/2020 at 8:54 AM, jabRI said:

Why did she break up with the detective? i missed that part and don't feel like re-watching it to find out.

He broke up with her after the whole Grey's girlfriend supposedly slept with her thing. There may have been more to it, but I don't remember.

From what I remember, no one broke up with anyone because they were not in a relationship. He just told her that the thought of her hooking up with some else bothered him--it was played as him actually letting her know he cared, not breaking things off. I'm not sure if it was the same scene or later, but when he went to her house, he told her he wanted something more serious and she said something along the lines of wanting to do things by herself or wanting to be alone, i.e. she rejected him. I'm assuming she doesn't consciously realize that what she said is BS. Letting her hot "platonic" friend help her raise her brother for 6 years isn't exactly "going it alone," but it sure does make it easy for her to avoid serious relationships.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

From what I remember, no one broke up with anyone because they were not in a relationship. He just told her that the thought of her hooking up with some else bothered him--it was played as him actually letting her know he cared, not breaking things off. I'm not sure if it was the same scene or later, but when he went to her house, he told her he wanted something more serious and she said something along the lines of wanting to do things by herself or wanting to be alone, i.e. she rejected him. I'm assuming she doesn't consciously realize that what she said is BS. Letting her hot "platonic" friend help her raise her brother for 6 years isn't exactly "going it alone," but it sure does make it easy for her to avoid serious relationships.

Fair point. Stopped being friends with benefits, then.