Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm surprised Molly and TJ don't know about Sonny yet and aren't haranguing Kristina for accidentally seeing him beat up Dex.

TJ: "Apparently, she saw Sonny beat up Dex because she was getting another piece of cake.  Has she had her gestastional diabetes test yet, because all that sugar can't be good for the baby."

Speaking of, Kristina said "my baby" several times in the last couple days. Too bad there wasn't a coven member there to immediately raise their eyebrows to their hairline.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But did Alexis win? Will she be able to get he license back? That's all I care about right now.

The panel told them there would be a decision in x number of weeks/ an unspecified future date.

I think the timespan is wiithin 30 days. Long enough that Mason and Julia Fergus and Alexis can bore us to tears with their sparring. In the hearing they both made the same three points about 12 times, zzzzz.

• LOL 4

I think LD is only appearing for 3 days at present, so I wouldn't expect a lot. But I have yet to render a verdict on his return.

I think Gio is very cute but may still look/present a bit too young for Trina. I haven't decided yet. The real issue is that too many young people on this show, especially the younger males, have very little personality beyond cheery apple-polisher (especially Dex) or random bad boy. It would be easier to get a sense of how he can play with women if he had a little more Cerullo spark onscreen.

• Like 4

Thank you, JE, for such a brilliant portrayal of grief and restraint. 

It's interesting to me that the news came from Cody, and while I've never thought he and Gregory were much alike, I thought Tracy was actually spot on in recounting the ways.  

I thought Tracy and Elizabeth were both feeling the need to embrace, and then remembered that they don't really know each other all that well.  Will look forward to Tracy's next coming together with Finn.  It's nice that she has Stella with whom to share the wisdom of age, but I hope that's not all we see of her going forward.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

Every time someone says Fergus Byrne, all I can hear is Liz Lemon trying to say "Rural Juror."

Edited by TVbitch
  • LOL 6

Wow,  the Tracy/Stella scenes were fantastic.  JE and VW never disappoint and in scenes together they really show what two pros can bring to a show.  More of this, please. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Every time someone says Fergus Byrne, all I can hear is Liz Lemon trying to say "Rural Juror."

Try "Hamburglar Fergus Byrne".

• LOL 2

I fully expect Portia to demand Finn take a blood test before he returns to work. The look on her face when Elizabeth walked away was NOT one of a friend understanding that Finn is going through a very difficult time right now and made a mistake. Unless he shows up for work drunk, there isn’t a damn thing she should be able to do about it. But Elizabeth was still wrong for confiding in her. She rightly pointed out that Portia is the co-chief of staff for the hospital, and not just a friend. You don’t confide things like that to your boss and not expect blowback.

im so glad Tracy found out on screen today, even if it was from Cody. It was a very nice scene and it was good to see Cody so understanding and reserved. Add to it the scenes with Tracy and Stella, and the Chase family, and todays show was really wonderful. Well except for Alexis’ hearing, where I really wanted to smack both her AND fergus upside the head. But mostly Fergus. How exactly is Alexis at all to blame for Neil ODing or Brendan getting killed by Harmony? and what possible bearing could either have on Alexis being a lawyer? Someone please make it make sense!

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
4 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

How exactly is Alexis at all to blame for Neil ODing or Brendan getting killed by Harmony?

And the reason he got killed was because he blackmailed Harmony. 

This third brother is a stupid retcon. They didn't even need to make Fergus Neal's brother.

Today's episode was really good. It hit all the right notes. 

Elizabeth is about to regret confiding in Portia.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

How exactly is Alexis at all to blame for Neil ODing or Brendan getting killed by Harmony? and what possible bearing could either have on Alexis being a lawyer? Someone please make it make sense!

Worse- they retconned Neil’s death a couple years ago. Harmony broke into Alexis’ house and murdered him but made it look like he ODed because Neil was going to expose that she kidnapped Willow. Alexis really has nothing to do with it other than being the one to find him dead and thinking she missed his non existent drug addiction 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Harmony broke into Alexis’ house

Wasn't this after they made a big deal about Alexis getting an alarm system? 

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I think the timespan is wiithin 30 days. Long enough that Mason and Julia Fergus and Alexis can bore us to tears with their sparring. In the hearing they both made the same three points about 12 times, zzzzz.

It is. Well the only speaking judge snapped they would have a decision within 30 days.

And boy were you right. An utter snoozefest, and my head is in a tailspin because why weren’t the judges in robes? I still remember when Ben Stone and Jack McCoy appeared before the New York Court of Appeals in Albany! There wasn’t a regular table. And they always wore robes. Just because this is a civil matter doesn’t mean they don’t wear robes. Hell, they had a bailiff!l

Not to mention both would have been fines for contempt for interrupting each other and arguing amongst themselves. And Fergus shouldn’t have been allowed to interrupt Alexis when she was making her closing argument.

JEEBUS CRIPES!

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

But Elizabeth was still wrong for confiding in her. She rightly pointed out that Portia is the co-chief of staff for the hospital, and not just a friend. You don’t confide things like that to your boss and not expect blowback.

This. After Elizabeth pointed that out, Portia pouting her lip and stating that her feelings were hurt resulted in Elizabeth caving and sharing Finn's personal business. I absolutely expect blowback from Portia.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

After Elizabeth pointed that out, Portia pouting her lip and stating that her feelings were hurt resulted in Elizabeth caving and sharing Finn's personal business. I absolutely expect blowback from Portia.

This is why it is tricky to have personal and professional relationships with the people at work. If the person you are talking to has any requirements to report things, they can't "not hear" what you say. Elizabeth would have been better off to just say that she felt Finn wasn't handling his father's death very well at the moment.

• Like 5

Elizabeth sure betrayed Finn today. Portia can say friends all day, but she's still both their bosses and they were at work. 

Finn wasn't even drunk, he had like one drink before asking Chase to dump it and went to a meeting.  Liz gets so much grace and forgiveness for her illegal crimes and she's ready to throw Finn to his boss over grief. 

• Like 3

Chase was great today the way he supported Finn. No judgment, just support. He let FINN decide that he didn’t want to throw away his sobriety and that he needed a meeting. I know Elizabeth meant well but she just handled the situation all wrong. The man just lost his father. Not only that but he’s the one who found Gregory dead. Doctor or no doctor, that was his FATHER. He has a lot of guilt over their relationship and years apart, and even though they made amends, it obviously still weighs on him. Had he been falling down drunk when Liz found him, I maybe could understand her reaction. I just think she could have shown him a little grace. In the end, he made the right decision but now he may not have a job to go back to because she decided to confide in their boss. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I just think she could have shown him a little grace

You're not wrong, but I think she was coming from a place where she dealt with an addict before. So her being forceful like that made sense considering her history. She was trying to reach Alexis because she's Finn's sponsor.

That said, the next thing Finn will probably do is find her and apologize to her and Portia will make her regret opening her mouth.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Elizabeth will also regret it when Finn finds out what she said to Portia. Too bad Elizabeth and Tracy couldn't have had a longer conversation, even if they aren't friends.

14 hours ago, Sake614 said:

[Finn] has a lot of guilt over their relationship and years apart, and even though they made amends, it obviously still weighs on him.

I can't take Finn spiraling downward about something that was resolved long before Gregory died. Someone needs to tell Finn that he's very lucky he and Gregory were able to put their anger and resentment in the past. And they were able to apologize to each other about the most recent fight they had. Not everyone gets that opportunity. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

This upcoming episode summary made me laugh. 

Sonny seeks out Dex; Dante and Kristina have a heart-to-heart; Maxie issues an invitation; Molly is frustrated; Michael tells Drew how he feels.

Maybe it's not Drillow that we should be worrying about.  🤣

• Fire 1
  • LOL 10
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

can't take Finn spiraling downward about something that was resolved long before Gregory died. Someone needs to tell Finn that he's very lucky he and Gregory were able to put their anger and resentment in the past. And they were able to apologize to each other about the most recent fight they had. Not everyone gets that opportunity. 

Yeah I was annoyed that Finn is harping on it but the fact that Gregory brought it up means it wasn’t entirely in the past. Regardless, they did kiss and make up and you’re absolutely right that many, many people don’t get that chance. 

(edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 5:31 PM, dubbel zout said:

I’d like to know why Fergus was even allowed to present at that hearing given his family connections to the case. It seemed like a huge conflict of interest

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 6
On 5/24/2024 at 4:32 PM, YaddaYadda said:

And the reason he got killed was because he blackmailed Harmony. 

This third brother is a stupid retcon. They didn't even need to make Fergus Neal's brother.

Today's episode was really good. It hit all the right notes. 

In any event. I hope they keep Lane Davies around.

(edited)
4 hours ago, ciarra said:

This upcoming episode summary made me laugh. 

Sonny seeks out Dex; Dante and Kristina have a heart-to-heart; Maxie issues an invitation; Molly is frustrated; Michael tells Drew how he feels.

Maybe it's not Drillow that we should be worrying about.  🤣

Would you really want to endure scenes with Michael and Drew in a romance?  Although maybe they could make it interesting, and have Willow be into it and make the whole thing a throuple.

Edited by Suicidy
  • LOL 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Would you really want to endure scenes with Michael and Drew in a romance?  Although maybe they could make it interesting, and have Willow be into it and make the whole thing a throuple.

At least two of the most annoying people would be contained in scenes together. 

"Sonny beating up Dex," so Sonny yet again ruins a wedding involving Tracy Q, this time the wedding of her oldest grandchild. During Tracy's wedding to Luke, Sonny & Brenda thought is was just swell to announce their engagement at her reception. Now Sonny has caused a scene at BL's reception. At least this time it wasn't in front of everyone. And it wasn't endearing how possessive he was off the event, like he was the guest of honor. What I wouldn't give for a scene where Lois goes to Sonny and says she is disappointed in him after she overrode Tracy's request to not invite Sonny because he murdered AJ. And even if Sonny is being under-medicated, if he didn't constantly blame everyone, he would self reflective to realize that something is going wrong & at least try to leave, even if it was earlier than he would like. I know mentally disabled people with this awareness. 

I dislike Sonny because he constantly uses pity to get himself out of jams. Either he will tell people his sad sack childhood, have other people to intercede for him (whether he asks or not) or a combo of both, like the aftermath of shooting Dante. I think a part of him is glad that Kristina saw what happened because even though he doesn't like Kristina thinking him as some kind of bully, he used it to try  manipulate Dante. Now that it is a little ridiculous for him to hid behind his crappy childhood as he had the resource for decades to deal with his trauma, he now uses his kids and grandkids. While I'll commend Kristina for earnestly telling Dex she will support him should he decide to press charges, I wouldn't put it past Sonny to go to Dex, give a half assed apology and use Kristina and her condition to not put him in jail. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

use Kristina and her condition to not put him in jail. 

Fortunately for Sonny, everyone else is already doing this.

ETA: I'd like to know when Kristina's pregnancy suddenly became ultra high risk, because everyone has been acting as if she's going to miscarry if someone so much as looks at her sideways.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Yep. I remember Robin going to Dante's room after Sonny shoot him to give the what a swell guy Sonny is routine. For all Sonny's talk about how pathetic he found AJ, he will also project pathetic-ism in order to get people to pity him and then relent. At least when AJ did, he was looking for genuine love and affection, usually from his family.  I won't be at all surprise if people start going to Dex now to back off Sonny. 

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I won't be at all surprise if people start going to Dex now to back off Sonny. 

It’s unnecessary as idiot Dex has decided not to press charges after Moronic Anna convinced him it was a bad idea. And how his familyyyyyyy would suffer.

• Like 2

Well I had to watch LD's scenes, even though they were kind of boring. 

So as a viewer that hasn't really watched GH since 2003, I find the new hospital and Q setting fugly. I mean I guess they had to modernize it, but the Q mansion is a) unrecognizable and b) awful. It just seems cold and sterile. 

The hospital is slightly more tolerable, but still unrecognizable.

Maybe partly I just prefer the 70s/80s aesthetic.

JE looks well. LD really needs a haircut. I have a feeling based on the interview he gave he wasn't really into getting too tidied up. 

• Like 1

What I really dislike about the Sonny storyline is that the writers were unwilling to have the townspeople of Port Charles call out Sonny's bad behavior until it became worse behavior.  The writers weren't brave enough to simply have Jagger and his clear-eyed vision arrive to town to wake up the other characters to the stupor they've been in, and have Sonny face consequences for the lifestyle he's chosen.  By focusing the storyline on the tampered meds that will eventually be discovered, precipitating a round of apologies from all of the other characters, they've set the scene for returning to business as usual when the storyline is over.  

• Applause 12
2 hours ago, cleo said:

I mean I guess they had to modernize it, but the Q mansion is a) unrecognizable and b) awful. It just seems cold and sterile. 

And don't forget that they somehow reversed the front door and the door into the rest of the house (front door used to be to the left of the staircase, and interior door to the right - now they are opposite). And of all the things that make no sense on this show, somehow this is one of the things that bugs me the most. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

ETA: I'd like to know when Kristina's pregnancy suddenly became ultra high risk, because everyone has been acting as if she's going to miscarry if someone so much as looks at her sideways.

Or just wait to press charges until after Kristina gives birth………

Edit: I just got a horrible news alert.  John Wactor, who played Brando Corbin. Was shot and killed in Los Angeles on Saturday.  Some scumbags were apparently trying to break into his car and saw him approach.  They shot him even though he reportedly didn’t try to approach them

Edited by Suicidy
  • Sad 8
  • Angry 1
51 minutes ago, JMO said:

What I really dislike about the Sonny storyline is that the writers were unwilling to have the townspeople of Port Charles call out Sonny's bad behavior until it became worse behavior. 

What a stranglehold both MB and LW hold over this show.  LW never loses but at least she is a decent actress.  When Carly effortlessly stepped into Nina's job, she is just such an awesome businesswoman after one week in the media business, she was able to outmaneuver Tracy in a contract negotiation. 

Only in the PC-verse, would Sonny be permitted out in public.  His chosen profession is violence.  He gets up each morning and and his 'to-do' list consists of planning to commit violent felonies.  He has recently been involved in trafficking military-grade weapons.  Sonny is messed up enough without providing him with a psychological disorder of bi-polar.  In a church, he recently pummeled a man nearly to death (and while I boarded the barge since Jason's return, he has since beaten up Dex).  "Calling Out" Sonny should not even be considered a crumb. 

In the world of King Sonny and Queen Carly, the rest of the cast are forced to support their royalty through irrational dialogue/actions to mute the cognitive dissonance stemming from the royal duo. 

With all the recent publicity from BTS stuff (and the deaths of three young actors in their prime who had recent stints on the show, the 2nd DUI of Haley, etc..), - the ratings for this soap should have soared.  While the writing is lacking, I think that the problem resides at a level above the writing team - FV. 

• Applause 9
(edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 7:13 PM, Suicidy said:

Well, the incest would definitely make it interesting. 😬

Edited by tessaray
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Edit: I just got a horrible news alert.  John Wactor, who played Brando Corbin. Was shot and killed in Los Angeles on Saturday.  Some scumbags were apparently trying to break into his car and saw him approach.  They shot him even though he reportedly didn’t try to approach them

I was just coming here to post this. A very rough couple of years for GH alum, having lost Billy Miller and Tyler Christopher recently. Just a reminder of how short and tenuous life actually is.

• Sad 4
2 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I was just coming here to post this. A very rough couple of years for GH alum, having lost Billy Miller and Tyler Christopher recently. Just a reminder of how short and tenuous life actually is.

It’s been a terrible month.  Can’t wait for it to be over.

• Hugs 3
14 hours ago, Suicidy said:

I read an article stating that his mother told a news outlet that he thought his car was being towed and approached the thieves. One was wearing a mask and turned and shot him. It sounds like police arrived on the scene and Wactor was able to tell them what happened before he died at a hospital. 

• Sad 6
(edited)
16 hours ago, Suicidy said:

13 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I was just coming here to post this.

1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I read an article stating that his mother told a news outlet that he thought his car was being towed and approached the thieves. 

The topic of Wactor's death is being discussed in the News thread:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/4122-gh-in-the-news-the-pc-press-club/?do=getNewComment

Edited by Tenshinhan

Yeah, and a rerun from last fall featuring a still-living Gregory, just in case we weren't already sad enough over losing him. Brilliant choice, ABC 🙄

• Sad 6

Personally, I wished they never wrote out Dr. Neil Byrne (Joe Flanigan). He is such a good actor and had great chemistry with NLG. He rocked a great beard and always had crazy hair. He was sort of anti soap. If that makes sense. Here he is in better times. After sex with Alexis and before Harmony killed him. If I’m not mistaken that was recon storyline. Wasn’t it supposed to be someone else? I think they realized it was stupid that he was killed off and tried to hurry off the storyline as fast as they could. 

IMG_2981.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
On 5/24/2024 at 4:03 AM, Suicidy said:

It would nice to see some Quartermaines in the Quartermaine mansion.

Are there any left? Tracy, obviously. Monica, although she's been offscreen forever and probably (sadly) always. Ned, although his last name was Ashton until he changed it. And Michael, who changes last names depending on his mood. Quite the dying breed, our Qs.

I know nothing of Lane Davies before this current stint, although I understand he and NLG had some kind of previous epic pairing, but I am not impressed. I see no sparks, I see nothing of interest in this character, and the only thing this storyline has done for me is make me miss Neil.

What the hell, Elizabeth? I get that you're a soap character who by nature has to talk everything out to death, but you couldn't process this information on your own for even one day? And if you had to unload, you couldn't pick someone other than Finn's boss?? That was such a betrayal, and she deserves everything Finn is likely to spew at her.

Lovely scene between Tracy and Cody. Further proof that she elevates everyone she shares a scene with. This would be a very unlikely friendship, but I wouldn't hate seeing more scenes with the two of them.

On 5/25/2024 at 7:13 PM, Suicidy said:

Ew, ew, and ew. Whyyyyy...

• Like 4

So Sam is risking a felony to find out what info the FBI has on Jason to make him work for them since he won’t tell them anything? And if she finds out the truth, what is she planning on doing with it? It’s not going to help him or change anything. Seems like a big risk with no benefit 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Seems like a big risk with no benefit 

The only benefit I see is her tearing him a new one. Sam going after Jason, Carly or Sonny has always been enjoyable TV for me.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

The only benefit I see is her tearing him a new one. Sam going after Jason, Carly or Sonny has always been enjoyable TV for me.

Problem is this version of Sam will get mad for 1 episode at most and forget about it. She’s doing it under the guise of wanting to help him for Danny’s sake but knowing this information doesn’t help Jason in any way. It’s not really any different than how Carly wants to know everything because she’s nosy and frequently causes more problems by butting in. 

• Like 3
(edited)

I think that the best way to describe what Sam is planning on doing is a plot point to create conflict between her and Dante.

The only thing Sam was ever consistent with was her Jason worship before their falling out.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 5