Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

On 10/26/2023 at 5:13 PM, susannah said:

Doesn't Stella have any kind of office or private work space? So Felicia is telling her about a patient's finances right in the hall, in front of the elevators, in a loud voice. No patient confidentiality there! Then she and Stella sit down on a couch, again in the hall, to go over insurance forms?

I don't recall her mentioning a name.  

I live in Brattleboro.  Don't get too many shout outs on tv, so that was cool, I guess. But, like so many others have mentioned, it's not maple syrup season, you have to leave the buckets out overnight, and you need a lot of sap for a little syrup.  there's a reason real syrup is ridiculously expensive.  And if anybody was wondering that picture at the beginning was probably somehwere in Vt, but it's not Bratt.

Also, I assume Joss's study buddy is going to become obsessed with her and kidnap her and Dex will have to save her.

If Cyrus were really reformed, he would not be bothering any former victims, beyond possibly a letter and a check.

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 4

I am loving all the maple syrup talk. I found a really great syrup at my local farmers market and bottle of that is what I'm giving people for Christmas.

15 hours ago, Daisy said:

Nina was prepared to keep it quiet, but Carly basically rubbed it in that Nina was nothing to anyone that mattered. so why should she keep this secret?

LW saying that if the situation was reversed, Carly would have reported it immediately makes me like her more. I wish more of her fans would feel that way.

5 hours ago, CeChase said:

I think these writers were shaping a story where Michael's sick control of his own wife was going to lead somewhere.

As much as I would like to see that, I don't think that Frank would allow it even with the scab writers. Carly and her kids have a strong following.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, CeChase said:

MB's son is a real cutie!  

He is a better actor than Dex despite being on just a handful of times so far.  I think that he is in an in-between state.  He looks like he aged a bit since his last appearance (and he isn't getting uglier).

For the first time for this viewer, little James is no longer a totally adorable little cutie.  He needs some discipline BUT the smiles between Maxie and James are awesome to watch.  In a way, I think that Maxie and Michael would have been a much healthier match for both characters and the show. 

While not as bad as his father's participation in the trafficking of military grade weapons, didn't Michael commit a felony by intentionally obtaining confidential information about an on-going SEC investigation of his company?

Dante needs to spend more time at the shooting range.

• Like 6

Poor Cyrus. Doesn't seem to have any real plan except lurching around Port Chuckles asking for forgiveness from people that he knows he needs to stay away from. My take is deep down inside Cyrus is a very isolated, lonely and insecure man looking for acceptance. Look at how desperately he seeks Laura's approval. if Laura were smart she'd use the neediness to control him. I know she's tried in the past, but now Laura needs to put a little "ummph" into the effort.

• Like 12
45 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Poor Cyrus. Doesn't seem to have any real plan except lurching around Port Chuckles asking for forgiveness from people that he knows he needs to stay away from.

Cyrus constantly seemed baffled that people will not accept his apology or believe that he is sincere or think that he's not reformed. JK makes this face where Cyrus is just so deeply hurt by their judgement and like he's about to have a breakdown and cry his little heart out and all I can think is "Oh, Cyrus. You're not Sonny. The only bad guys who are always forgiven for anything is Sonny and the great unlamented departed Jason Morgan." 

• Like 10
46 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Cyrus constantly seemed baffled that people will not accept his apology or believe that he is sincere or think that he's not reformed. JK makes this face where Cyrus is just so deeply hurt by their judgement and like he's about to have a breakdown and cry his little heart out and all I can think is "Oh, Cyrus. You're not Sonny. The only bad guys who are always forgiven for anything is Sonny and the great unlamented departed Jason Morgan."

I know! Why are people constantly yelling at poor reformed, heartbroken Cyrus? As for the bad guys, I think Michael needs to be on that list. I am not seeing anyone calling him out for anything!

• Like 6
58 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Cyrus constantly seemed baffled that people will not accept his apology or believe that he is sincere or think that he's not reformed. JK makes this face where Cyrus is just so deeply hurt by their judgement and like he's about to have a breakdown and cry his little heart out and all I can think is "Oh, Cyrus. You're not Sonny.

It's also so disingenuous and hypocritical since Cyrus still wants to be a major Mob boss. If TIIC have no real plans for him, I'd like to see JK move over to the Yellowstone Franchise. He'd be a perfect fit with Costner moving on.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

It's also so disingenuous and hypocritical since Cyrus still wants to be a major Mob boss. If TIIC have no real plans for him, I'd like to see JK move over to the Yellowstone Franchise. He'd be a perfect fit with Costner moving on.

Totally true! It seems like it would diminish the mob boss cred to see him weeping that "no one looooooves him!" I haven't seen Yellowstone, not much into Westerns, but agree that JK would be great there. He is a very good actor.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

It's also so disingenuous and hypocritical since Cyrus still wants to be a major Mob boss.

Cyrus fits right in. The only small difference is that he acknowledges the things he's done as being bad, which is probably a blatant manipulation to try to get person X to forgive him and embrace him as a reformed man. When they don't, he looks like someone just kicked his dog straight into the oncoming traffic.

I do get his point about not understand why the community has embraced Sonny with his fleas and all, but refuses to do the same with him, even though Sonny has been darkening our doorstep for a long ass time.

• Like 9
20 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

. My take is deep down inside Cyrus is a very isolated, lonely and insecure man looking for acceptance. Look at how desperately he seeks Laura's approval.

The show touched on this a bit with Cyrus' mother rejecting him completely I think because she blamed him for his father's death, and throwing him out when he was a teenager. More excusable than Sonny's claustrophobia and more to mine in terms of story.

• Like 7
On 10/28/2023 at 1:30 PM, statsgirl said:

LW saying that if the situation was reversed, Carly would have reported it immediately makes me like her more. I wish more of her fans would feel that way.

Oh yeah. for the most part I do love that Laura does have a great handle on what Carly is [and isn't]. a lot of actors bend over backwards to try to white wash their characters, and Carly's like nah, she'd totally do it asap. 

and word. If i read one more time, that Nina deserves hell/be slapped/needs to lose everything for what she did. i am going to lose my eyeballs, they are rolling out of my head so hard. Again it's really like people feel like Nina set up carly and Drew vs. simply pointing out to those in charge that hey - look into this. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5
On 10/27/2023 at 10:12 AM, Cheyanne11 said:

If this was written like a show that actually cared about dramatic beats, they would have Michael not tell anyone about Nina and continue to blackmail her for months, only for Ned to get his memory back and spill the beans and then it's revealed Michael knew, thus causing the other Carlys to all hate him because he kept the truth from them. 

Have Willow realize he's totally commandeered her life and thinks he's allowed to decide what's good for her.  Have Carly go on and on about how she deserved the truth.  Have Drew be "disappointed" with the man Michael has become.  Have Joss cry that she "doesn't even know him at all!"

But, no, they'll all probably rally around poor Mikey for having the burden of such an awful truth on his shoulders.

I love your version. Even though we all know it won’t happen. 😞

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

I love your version. Even though we all know it won’t happen. 😞

I am all for everyone piling on evil Michael, but I do not want to see poor Nina tortured for months, which I think is going to happen anyway. If only she would tell him to take his best shot! I loved her standing up to him, and I don't love her tear filled eyes, though she does both well.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, susannah said:

I am all for everyone piling on evil Michael, but I do not want to see poor Nina tortured for months, which I think is going to happen anyway. If only she would tell him to take his best shot! I loved her standing up to him, and I don't love her tear filled eyes, though she does both well.

lol CW does water puppy eyes very well but I am tired of looking at them. 

• Like 6
On 10/28/2023 at 7:51 AM, CeChase said:

I did keep wondering though, is this show ever gonna wake up about LW?  Maybe she was a leading lady 10  years ago, I really can't even remember.  But here are some current facts; LW has ZERO chem with men on GH.  There is not one man on GH that she has an ounce of chem with.  All of her relationships are unbelievable as sexual.  She had zero sexual or romantic chem with MB since I've been watching them.  They had to break up Carson because it was like watching Ma and Pa climb the stairs to the marital bed.  They insist on making her their leading lady, but a leading lady MUST have SEXUAL chemistry with multiple men.  She has zero with any man.  It's a huge, glaring issue.  

She had the most chemistry with Steve Burton. They need to send her someplace where she could meet a new guy or explore her sexually with a new woman. Anything to shock the character back to health (I’ve loved LW for decades, I can’t help it.

• Like 1

I never saw any sparks with LW & SB but do think she had decent chemistry with Jax, at least here and there. But once Carly became untouchable in the writing, she became unwatchable in any pairing.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 10

Austin is a lying liar who lies and I really want Ava to find out and kick in the family jewels.  

So TJ stopped Austin from killing Mason but then went back to tell Mason that he did it so Mason could spent the rest of his life in jail.  who's putting money on Mason ending up dead and TJ being the last one his room .  

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Austin is a lying liar who lies and I really want Ava to find out and kick in the family jewels.  

So TJ stopped Austin from killing Mason but then went back to tell Mason that he did it so Mason could spent the rest of his life in jail.  who's putting money on Mason ending up dead and TJ being the last one his room .  

They’ve really dumbed Ava down for this entire story and it looks like they’re continuing to do it. The fact that she couldn’t tell that he was lying is🤦🏾‍♀️ I hope that this just means that when the truth comes out that he’s lied to her for months and then directly to her face leads to us seeing the  real Ava and she unleashes her wrath on Austin(preferably with a bullet) and is finally done with him for good.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
13 minutes ago, Gemini2989 said:

the  real Ava and she unleashes her wrath on Austin(preferably with a bullet) and is finally done with him for good.

Ten bucks says by then she'll be in lurve with him and will forgive him.  

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

I never saw any sparks with LW & SB but do think she had decent chemistry with Jax, at least here and there. But once Carly became untouchable in the writing, she became unwatchable in any pairing.  

the day she and Jason laughed at the fact that Jax got raped was the day Carly "died" for me. (I mean i always didn't like her but i did enjoy her with Jax but the ha ha ha. Jax got raped? scene just was like screw you, you cow.)

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
On 10/28/2023 at 7:51 AM, CeChase said:

I did keep wondering though, is this show ever gonna wake up about LW?  Maybe she was a leading lady 10  years ago, I really can't even remember.  But here are some current facts; LW has ZERO chem with men on GH.  There is not one man on GH that she has an ounce of chem with.  All of her relationships are unbelievable as sexual.  She had zero sexual or romantic chem with MB since I've been watching them.  They had to break up Carson because it was like watching Ma and Pa climb the stairs to the marital bed.  They insist on making her their leading lady, but a leading lady MUST have SEXUAL chemistry with multiple men.  She has zero with any man.  It's a huge, glaring issue.  

From this guy's perspective, there's nothing remotely attractive about Carly. Yes, from a physical standpoint, she's gorgeous. However, her overall attitude, arrogance, entitlement and downright awfulness make the character (not LW) absolutely repugnant. When she smirks, juts out that chin and starts spewing invectives, even the wolves go running for the hills. Nothing even vaguely soft, feminine or alluring about her whatsoever.

In other news, after a moment of promise, Austin is back to being a great big zero.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 6

So Liz and Finn finally had sex.  It only took eleventy billion years and I still don’t see the chemistry 🤷‍♀️

looking at RoHo sitting at the bar, I legit said ‘what’s Todd up to now? Then I remembered he’s playing Austin. 🙄

why does Lois dress so tacky? I don’t care if she’s from Brooklyn. She’s also a 50 something year old woman and this isn’t 1975. Hell no one I know dressed like that back then either!

lucy, when are you going to realize that deception is Not your company anymore? You can’t just make decisions without consulting Tracy. She could shut the entire company down and there’s nothing you can do about it.  But good for Blaze turning her down and saying keep Sasha.

not a great show but at least it was a Carly and Michael free day

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

Lois and Sonny chat, yet no Brenda mentioned?

So Blaze is so famous but she signs to BL and signs in a bar? Free Kristina from this. 

Lucy really does her it.  Tracy should have taken more than 51 percent. 

Finally Ava knows Nik is alive. 

Why is Sonny showing Lois pictures of his grandchildren Wylie and Amelia and explaing who they are as if she doesn't know them?  They live on the same property.

The foursome renovation "flirting" was painful. I have zero fix-it skills and even I have a stud finder in my toolbox.

Ava girl, buy a clue.

• Like 5

Dante and Sam can't afford to pay professionals to renovate?

How exactly does Brook Lynn manage music artists?  She doesn't have an office, she doesn't have staff.  She has no business sense whatsoever.  She knows nothing about law. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 10/25/2023 at 12:59 PM, dubbel zout said:

Wow, James is a brat. I didn't find anything he said today cute or funny at all.

It cracks me up how every time someone gets kidnapped, held hostage, shot, or whatever, everyone acts as if it's the first time that's ever happened in Port Charles.

It took him forever to finally spit it out. The suspense was not killing me. Good lord. 

I wish Nina would just let the news get out there. Take a page from Julien's IDGAF book and let the chips fall where they may. It's not as if waiting will make things go more easily.

News flash, Michael: It was Liesl who saved Willow's life with her bone marrow. Drew helped, definitely, but if it hadn't been for Liesl, your Stepford Wife would be dead. But, you know, details.

I liked that CW put a bit of crazy into her rant at Michael that he wasn't going to keep her from her family, especially after Martin had already planted the seed that Nina wouldn't go gently into the night.

Add me to the list of people who think Lucy and Maxie should hire Blaze in addition to Sasha and have multiple Faces of Deception. I don't get why the option hasn't occurred to either of them.

Michael is clearly a villain.  Do the writers understand that?  

• Like 1
  • Applause 8
10 hours ago, ciarra said:

How exactly does Brook Lynn manage music artists?  She doesn't have an office, she doesn't have staff.  She has no business sense whatsoever.  She knows nothing about law. 

Practically no one on GH has an actual office, and those that do, share the same office at GH: Portia, Finn, Austin...

Brook Lynn said she had her attorneys draw up the contract and keep the legalese to a minimum. So she at least knows enough to hire lawyers. I mean, if TJ can be the best doctor ever to walk the halls of GH, then BL can be a business manager. :)

• LOL 5
11 hours ago, ciarra said:

the same way that Michael runs a global corporation

• Like 8
  • LOL 5
13 hours ago, Artsda said:

Lois and Sonny chat, yet no Brenda mentioned?

As someone who wasn't watching when Lois was around, I have to say that the Lois and Sonny scenes were the best scenes that I have ever seen MB in.  Lois and Sonny have chemistry (not romantic - like Liz and Finn). 

I did catch Brenda in the early teens and her later shorter stint (iirc - jax was involved) and never understood the adoration for the character.  The actress was fine but portrayed the character as a 'mean girl' and came across as a Carly. ymmv.  I know that I am missing a chunk of her history because i have no understanding as to why Robin would hang out with her.

CW put in a splendid performance with CD last week - for a total of ONE minute after this viewer has had to suffer through hours of irrational dialogue lifting up Sonny/Carly. I forgot what a beautiful and talented actress she is and just wallowed with Nina as CW was able to be an MB whisperer. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Sake614 said:

So Liz and Finn finally had sex.  It only took eleventy billion years and I still don’t see the chemistry 🤷‍♀️

Michael Easton rarely has chemistry with the women he's paired with, and they always have to do the heavy lifting. 

16 hours ago, Sake614 said:

lucy, when are you going to realize that deception is Not your company anymore? You can’t just make decisions without consulting Tracy. She could shut the entire company down and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Yeah, it's aggravating Lucy is so stubborn about this. She's cutting off her nose to spite her face. In some ways I wish Tracy would bounce Lucy from the company just to show her who the actual boss is.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm two weeks behind, so just a couple of superficial observations on the wedding and wedding-adjacent episodes:  a) They're styling Maxie!  And she looks so much more like the beautiful woman she is.  They've also found a less harsh hair color for her, which works much better.  b) NC is considerably less muscular than he was a few months ago, and it suits him.  Wondering if his new show requested it. c) Blaze isn't my favorite actress, but the character intrigues me.  She came off as disinterested re: Deception, and stalker-ish with Kristina. d) I can't help but wonder if the recent scenes between Carly and Sam are there to make us feel like Carly actually has some friends.  Apart from Olivia, I don't think she does.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

From this guy's perspective, there's nothing remotely attractive about Carly. Yes, from a physical standpoint, she's gorgeous. However, her overall attitude, arrogance, entitlement and downright awfulness make the character (not LW) absolutely repugnant. When she smirks, juts out that chin and starts spewing invectives, even the wolves go running for the hills. Nothing even vaguely soft, feminine or alluring about her whatsoever.

This is exactly how I feel as well.  Physically, she’s beautiful.  Laura Wright is great in the role, so it’s nothing against her either.  But the CHARACTER of Carly is so awful I don't find anything attractive about her.  She’s ugly on the inside.  And like others have said, she has ZERO chemistry with most of her significant others.  Now this I don’t know if it’s just a LW thing or that the character she’s playing is so one note and hard.  For me the only person Laura/Carly ever had chemistry with was Ingo/Jax.  Even then, Ingo was the type who had chemistry with everyone so it wasn’t surprising.

18 hours ago, Sake614 said:

why does Lois dress so tacky? I don’t care if she’s from Brooklyn. She’s also a 50 something year old woman and this isn’t 1975. Hell no one I know dressed like that back then either!

I actually think she’s toned it down quite a bit from how she used to dress but yeah, it dates and ages her.  I mean Olivia and Sonny grew up the same way she did and they manage not to dress like walking stereotypes.  I guess it’s just her “thing”.  She’s so gorgeous though.

I found a lot of the Finn/Liz stuff very cringey.  Finn licking the syrup, washing their hands…..the second hand embarrassment was…..a lot.  I’m glad they boned though.  About time.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, sunnyface said:

As someone who wasn't watching when Lois was around, I have to say that the Lois and Sonny scenes were the best scenes that I have ever seen MB in.  Lois and Sonny have chemistry

Those scenes were like a breath of fresh air together.   Rena and Maurice really clicked.   Wonder if they had that same chemistry back in the day. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Sonny's restaurant

Ava's gallery

0 customers.

to be fair, Sonny's restaurant is just a front. It isn't meant to be a real restaurant. Which is why his comment to Lois about having the 'chef' make her something was so odd. Why have a chef if you don't serve food??? Or does the chef cook for him every day?

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I wish Tracy would bounce Lucy from the company just to show her who the actual boss is.

I'd pay good money to see that happen! Lucy is seriously grating on my last nerve. I do understand her business rationale for wanting to part ways with Sasha, but the fact that she was going to do it without even discussing it with the poor woman was just awful. And her logic that 'well Sasha is leaving town anyway' doesn't make it any better. 

• Like 7

"This must be little Ace?" Hee. He's gigantic, Cyrus! (The baby was adorable sleeping in AP's arms.)

The writers have no idea how to write a mature relationship. Finn and Elizabeth are acting like teenagers having sex for the first time, and not just with each other. It's ridiculous. And embarrassing to watch.

It's so gross that Valentin is deliberately letting Anna walk around town terrified, all because he's too gutless to tell her his troubled daughter is behind the trashing of her hotel room. And what's grosser is that Anna probably won't cut him loose forever after a stunt like this.

• Like 10
30 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Which is why his comment to Lois about having the 'chef' make her something was so odd

I thought he meant 'chef' as in himself because she then said she didn't need him to cook for her, that she could do it herself and went into the kitchen and prepared it.  (one of the few women on this show who can apparently cook)

27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Finn and Elizabeth are acting like teenagers having sex for the first time,

Teenagers from fictional town where you tap maple trees in the fall and pick apples into gigantic straw baskets.  I kept expecting Littel Red Riding Hood and the wolf to show up.  Eeesh!!

Edited by perkie1968
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5
59 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I thought he meant 'chef' as in himself

He said that afterward. First he said he would have the chef make her something, then he said 'or I can do it'.

I was actually impressed that RS was eating pasta! Most of the time, the men chow down while the women twirl the food on their plates but never take a bite lol

• Like 3

Why oh why do they not only allow but enable Spencer to act like he has any right to or power over Ace's life? He is not the father! He is nothing!

Why oh why doesn't Valentin act like a father and tell his delinquent daughter that the jig is up, he knows all, so she better start talking or else? Also all the constant I love you so much and the mutual swearing of eternal togetherness between a father and his 15 year old daughter squicks me out. Also, as said, his not telling Anna, letting her live in fear, is so cowardly.

The guy glued to the door is after something. What's going to be his deal?

Maxie's makeup is looking better but that top did her no favors. Guess we know that brat James is in charge in her house. Again no mention of a younger child in regard to trick or treating.

Ava seriously needs to lose the knee high boots.

• Like 5
On 10/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, Daisy said:

Oh yeah. for the most part I do love that Laura does have a great handle on what Carly is [and isn't]. a lot of actors bend over backwards to try to white wash their characters, and Carly's like nah, she'd totally do it asap. 

and word. If i read one more time, that Nina deserves hell/be slapped/needs to lose everything for what she did. i am going to lose my eyeballs, they are rolling out of my head so hard. Again it's really like people feel like Nina set up carly and Drew vs. simply pointing out to those in charge that hey - look into this. 

Are there people who really believe that and see the Carlys as heroes?  If someone like Michael ever threatened me like that, he would be spending the next week shitting out his own teeth.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, susannah said:

The guy glued to the door is after something. What's going to be his deal?

The guy at the dorm? He seems like he has a thing for Jocelyn and will probably stalk her and try to drive Joc and her boyfriend apart