Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Michael really has no ability to reflect on things. Either his father is a racketeer and mobster OR he had "honorable" principles. Both things are not compatible. Admit that your dad is/was a mobster - Ok - but also admit that the "honorable" part was just fake and don't idealize that as if he's now turned into some kind of monster.

He's full of shit with him acting like it's some big realization/come-to-Jesus moment that his dad is a mobster.  That little shit wanted in on the family business since he was the red menace.  Hell, last year when Nina held Sonny hostage Sonny was in NF he was practically begging Carly and Jason to hand him the reins.  He's only pissed now because that mobster side of Sonny that would've killed Nina is no longer in play.  Fuck off, you whiny manchild.

16 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Replacement Alexis was rough.

VERY rough.  Oof, I felt bad for her, but she was reciting lines like she got them two minutes before they yelled action.  Harmony acted circles around her.  Hell, unconscious LW acted circles around her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Grinaldi said:

Sounds like it would have been a good idea to ask John Lindstrom if his wife was available. Not that Cady McClain is a great Alexis recast but she could at least hold her own

Dixie from AMC??  I had no idea she was married to Jon Lindstrom!

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Where does Finn get off lecturing Lucy on what she says to Aiden? He's not the dad or stepdad. Obviously, anything anyone says to a kid may be misunderstood by them, but it sounds like Finn feels Lucy did something malicious.

He was basically lashing out and he realized almost immediately which is why he apologized in the next scene.

2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

So Harmony killed Neil because he was going to tell Willow that she wasn’t her mother. Doesn’t that break doctor/patient confidentiality? Though this is the same psychiatrist who slept with a recent ex-patient so maybe he wasn’t big on professional ethics.  

Harmony said he threatened to tell after he lost his license. So at that point, I guess he didn't feel he had anything to lose by breaking confidentiality.

6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Willow is as spineless as they come. 

Right, which is why she constantly pushes back when Nina gives her attitude. Or, why she questioned Michael about his choice and tried to make sure it was what he really wanted and understood the consequences. Totally spineless.

5 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I am so happy we have our people here who actually have common sense.  Honestly pretty much everywhere else on the interwebs people are crazy pants.

Just because people have different opinions doesn't make them "crazy pants" or lacking in common sense.

6 hours ago, Daisy said:

i am still trying to figure out how he won an Emmy.  because i personally don't see any nuances.. he just sticks his tongue in his cheek, and glares off to the side, and he has his 4 faces of Michael.  I've said it constantly.

I thought he was giving excellent performances and was happy when he won.

5 hours ago, Daisy said:

and all Willow is doing is hugging him and saying this sucks. It sucks for the first time in Sonny's life that he doens't want to murder someone for something that doesn't require being murdered for?  It sucks that Sonny is trying to be a better human being (i dunno how long this phase will last, but it doesn't even really seem he cares mucho about the mobster life at all, or as much).  Michael is legit throwing a tantrum and wants to disown his father - for NOT doing mob tactics, and avowing to better the name....by continuing to do.... underhanded tactics. and Willow is fine with this.

And apparently the Q's too because i mean no one is calling him out on this crap either.. 

Willow is not fine with that. That's your take on Michael's issues with Sonny. For Willow, who hasn't witnessed the huge merry-go-round of dysfunction, she sees that Michael is hurt that Sonny betrayed his mom and is accepting the woman that hurt his family. She's okay with Michael not being okay with that and as a grown man it's up to him to decide if he wants a relationship with his father.

As for the underhanded tactics - Willow did have a problem with him being in cahoots with the DA. And, spineless simp that she supposedly is, argued with him about it. As for this magazine article, she thinks Nina is a horrible person and doesn't want her around their son. Nina was the one who challenged them to a fight, so Willow doesn't have a problem with exposing Nina's dubious history to the press. I think Willow is fine with a certain level of underhanded behavior, but she doesn't want him going too far which was the whole point of their last scene with her warning him that he doesn't want to become the monster he's claiming his father is.

Why would the Qs of all people have a problem with underhanded tactics? And, if I were Monica - the real Monica who has been way too friendly with both Sonny and Carly recently - I'd dance a jig at Michael wanting nothing to do with Sonny, no matter the reason. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Willow is not fine with that. That's your take on Michael's issues with Sonny. For Willow, who hasn't witnessed the huge merry-go-round of dysfunction, she sees that Michael is hurt that Sonny betrayed his mom and is accepting the woman that hurt his family.

With full respect, whatever Willow knows or doesn't know about Sonny, Michael has always known exactly who his father is. He may genuinely be hurt by the situation with Nina, but he's been fine for years with the mobbing and living off of blood money, so him drawing some line in the sand at adultery is a piece of business. Kill them but don't kiss them. Or something.

• Love 18
57 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I know it was last minute but perhaps a more seasoned daytime actress with a familiar face would have been a better choice. Don’t ask me to name any. That’s not my job. LOL!!!!

How about Hillary B. Smith?

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

"Nora  Buchanan" has been on GH at least 9 times for court cases so it would be weird having her play Alexis.

Willow is fine with Sonny being a mobster and all the threats and killing that that entails but Nina is "a horrible person", too horrible to be in Wiley's presence because she didn't tell Sonny who he was when he had amnesia. That's pure mob moll. She may have pushed back against Michael bribing a prosecutor to go after Nina but that lasted less than an episode.

2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

It also smacks of misogynistic writing to have Michael declare only him or Wiley can restore the Corinthos good name 🙄😆. I know the conventional wisdom is that the males pass down the family name and the females take their husbands' names, but it's not always like that - especially lately. Plus, doesn't Kristina carry the Corinthos name right now?

Avery too but wimminz don't count. He really is Sonny's son.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

"Nora  Buchanan" has been on GH at least 9 times for court cases so it would be weird having her play Alexis.

I consulted with Drs. Austin and Finn and they both said it was OK on GH.

Edited by Bazinga
  • LOL 17
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Great as Margo & Nora but I don’t see her as Alexis. Also, she’s been on GH several times as Nora. Maybe, Melanie Smith or Mary Ellen Stuart from ATWT if you squint your eyes a little. LOL!!!!

12 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Sooooo true. I was even going to say Kassie DePavia but she’s too well known but you made your point. Damn! I’ll never get a job in daytime casting. LOL!!!!

• LOL 2
32 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

But they may want Nora back again. She was said to be the bestest lawyer in the state. Franco and Silas are gone forever.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

With full respect, whatever Willow knows or doesn't know about Sonny, Michael has always known exactly who his father is. He may genuinely be hurt by the situation with Nina, but he's been fine for years with the mobbing and living off of blood money, so him drawing some line in the sand at adultery is a piece of business. Kill them but don't kiss them. Or something.

I already made a post at how ridiculous Michael's reasoning is here. The post I was replying to, which you quoted, was talking about Willow.

41 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Willow is fine with Sonny being a mobster and all the threats and killing that that entails but Nina is "a horrible person", too horrible to be in Wiley's presence because she didn't tell Sonny who he was when he had amnesia. That's pure mob moll. She may have pushed back against Michael bribing a prosecutor to go after Nina but that lasted less than an episode.

Ridiculous as it may seem to you or I, but yeah, that's how most of the characters roll on this show. Sonny's crimes are considered okay because he has a "code." I can think that's ridiculous and also not have an issue with Willow's issues with Nina. And, it doesn't matter to me that it only lasted one episode, which isn't really true. She was bothered by it, but it wasn't a dealbreaker to her. The point is people try and pretend that she never disagrees with Michael or pushes back and that's not true.

”Nora  Buchanan" has been on GH at least 9 times for court cases so it would be weird having her play Alexis.

I believe you mean, Nora Hanen Gannon Buchanan Colson Buchanan Buchanan? 😂

• LOL 7
9 hours ago, Daisy said:

i am still trying to figure out how he won an Emmy.  because i personally don't see any nuances..

He won the Emmy for when Michael held a gun on Sonny after finding out that Sonny killed AJ.  I thought he earned that Emmy.  He’s fallen off since.

10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I made the mistake of going to the GH twitter today and almost everyone is pro-Michael. Sonny has gone too far now betraying Carly and his family, Michael should never forgive him and Nina is the devil.

Me: Sonny hanging AJ on a meathook 👍:  murdering AJ 👍; Sonny trying to murder Jax so Carly gets sole possession of Joss👍; but sleeping with Nina after Carly kicked him out is too much???

I'm afraid we're stuck with it.

I was on another board and I read one post that said the show was great and that Michael was right.  I immediately tapped out.  That was enough for me.  Again, it’s like, are we watching the same thing?

• Love 2

I kept getting distracted by temp!Alexis's weird voice. It was too low and flat. Visually she was okay-ish. 

At least Harmony knows how to get Carly to shut up for a few minutes. She deserves the MVP for that alone.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

He won the Emmy for when Michael held a gun on Sonny after finding out that Sonny killed AJ.  I thought he earned that Emmy.  He’s fallen off since.

thanks. (i wasn't watching then, and I didn't know when he won it. just from the years i have been watching he seems very... eh). i wonder what happened to make h 

30 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

I was on another board and I read one post that said the show was great and that Michael was right.  I immediately tapped out.  That was enough for me.  Again, it’s like, are we watching the same thing?

well i know a lot of people right now are hating Sonny being... not Sonny, and they are lamenting about not having old Sonny, and this is horrible (and of course blaming Nina). but i mean. again. being a mobster and going for vengeance is what cost him "his life." why are people so shocked that while he's not completely divorcing that lifestyle - he doesn't want to be all about vengeance and death. Sonny got a new lease on life and he's trying not to be all about murder and mayhem LOL and people are angry about it. lol. 

3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Avery too but wimminz don't count. He really is Sonny's son.

well. I mean. (sigh) and now i have to defend Michael. darn it.. (or at least slightly)

I am pretty sure as of now Kristina is still Kristina Davis, and Avery is like what? 6? 8? and she doesn't really bear the brunt of the name. Michael has always said he identified being a Corinthos, and he was "proud" of being one. and Sonny's son. And he chose it for himself (when given the option). out of all of Sonny's kids he (and Morgan). are the only ones who truly know (as of right now) what being a Corinthos actually means. Kristina (as far as I remember) never really had that weight of the world.. She had it being Sonny's kid, but not bearing the name. So Michael avowing to change it for him/wiley, and it's up to him) does makes sense. (and he's doing it/saying it so he can hurt Sonny. so win win for him). and I think in this kind of conversation -you are kinda focused on like you and your kid's legacy, not so much your sisters as well. (and he did say he did want the same name as his brother (who is dead) so i guess he could have added "and Donna/Avery" but again since they are like 8 and 2 or whatever it doesn't have the same meaningful connection as "the brother i grew up with and is dead")

but i mean ultimately that whole speech was hot air so i didn't really take any stock in it mostly due to the fact that once their spat is over, Michael's Corinthos Name Redemption Tour will be over. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

This storyline is about a highly dysfunctional family.  I really think it's only human nature that our own experiences color how we perceive what is happening on the screen.  Some of them go back to childhood so that is a strong pull.  Now, add to that it's also about a divorce involving "the other woman".  Man, a lot of stuff is getting triggered there.  For me, I don't over-relate to the other woman stuff, I've never had that happen.  So I am not seething over Nina, and my vision isn't clouded by personal trauma.  But the Michael stuff, he pushes all my buttons.  That's brother issues, LOL.  So, I get it.  I don't agree with that view, but I get what is happening.  

• Love 1

I really hope this isn’t the end for Harmony on GH, I really like watching her.

I agree with everyone, that it would have been nice to see NLG in today’s episode after literally years of build-up.  Substitute Alexis looks a lot like Kimberly McCullough (Robin) to me - anyone else?  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Sonny’s schtick right now is he wants everyone to forget what Nina has done to him and his family but also wants them to accept that she’s this new important and significant presence in his life. In every confrontation he has with his family, the minute anyone says anything negative about Nina, he immediately accuses them of not respecting his life and privacy and shuts down on them emotionally.

He did the same with Dante yesterday and poor Dante was trying so so hard to be honest and straightforward with Sonny, as well as trying to keep the peace. And of course, Brando, who is eager to please Sonny, tells him he’s cool with his relationship with Nina and that his sons were wrong. You could literally see the transition of Sonny looking at Brando like his new prodigal son. And Brando giving him that head nod back in acceptance.

Is this going the way everyone predicted with Brando as Sonny's new Jason? But Jason wasn't this much of an ass kisser with Sonny, but who knows.

And to the subject of Sonny now being a changed or better non-violent man trying to make amends. I call BS and think it's interesting that both the characters on the show and the Sonny sympathizers are under false pretenses that Sonny is mainly "Mike" now after returning from Nixon Falls. Did we not just see Sonny bail those robbers from Charlie's out of jail and slyly gloated to Laura and Nina that he took care of them, much to Sasha dismay? That sounds like classic Sonny to me, who seems to be relishing getting his groove back as the Don of Port Charles.

• Love 5
Just now, jacourt said:

Didnt he also have some guy put into a car trunk threatened his death?

That is why you can't trust the refrain that "Sonny and Jason only killed bad people" since there are instances where Sonny would actively talk about killing rather innocuous people if they posed a threat. I ain't no fan of robbers, but unless someone dies, it isn't a killable offense.  Jason rarely questioned Sonny's orders.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, KimChi Rogue said:

Did we not just see Sonny bail those robbers from Charlie's out of jail and slyly gloated to Laura and Nina that he took care of them, much to Sasha dismay? That sounds like classic Sonny to me, who seems to be relishing getting his groove back as the Don of Port Charles.

actually i didn't. LOL i missed some episodes. so yah i'll walk back my comments

I don't think that it was Sonny who bailed them out. He just had his guys snatch them up after they were out to threaten them.

13 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

And, it doesn't matter to me that it only lasted one episode, which isn't really true. She was bothered by it, but it wasn't a dealbreaker to her. The point is people try and pretend that she never disagrees with Michael or pushes back and that's not true.

For me, it makes it worse that Willow was bothered by what Michael was doing and still folds like a paper fan every time to do what he wants.

Bribing an out-of-state prosecutor to go after Nina because Sonny isn't should be a deal-breaker.

10 hours ago, Daisy said:

So Michael avowing to change it for him/wiley, and it's up to him) does makes sense. (and he's doing it/saying it so he can hurt Sonny. so win win for him). and I think in this kind of conversation -you are kinda focused on like you and your kid's legacy, not so much your sisters as well. (and he did say he did want the same name as his brother (who is dead) so i guess he could have added "and Donna/Avery" but again since they are like 8 and 2 or whatever it doesn't have the same meaningful connection as "the brother i grew up with and is dead")

Fair enough about Kristin. But Wylie is only 3 himself to it was jarring that biological children Avery and Donna got left out while Wylie, who is a grandson and a Quartermaine, was included.

• Love 5

of course Carly saved the day. whatever

of course Carly is okay after being drugged. 

most tabloid people don't..... rush the table like that. okay. whatever. 

since Sasha sucks  at being high, apparently she was high? (and that's why she was freaking out?) or she was crashing (and that's why she was freaking out?) but being the "face of Deception" squealling. "NOO STAY AWAY FROM ME" and covering your face like that is kinda.... whatever. 

same as not going to a secluded spot to pop your pill. 

also this tabloid person knows how to apperate since he clearly went to Hogwarts. 
and now they are re-creating Princess Di's accident

Dante. come on now. 

wait so hatman is actually gone gone? we wasted an entire year on that? Come on show. 
Ava, just sue for more visitation. come on now

Hey if Harmony gets to Willow....
oh well, never mind. RIP Harmony via Sasha's car. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

of course Carly saved the day. whatever

of course Carly is okay after being drugged. 

most tabloid people don't..... rush the table like that. okay. whatever. 

since Sasha sucks  at being high, apparently she was high? (and that's why she was freaking out?) or she was crashing (and that's why she was freaking out?) but being the "face of Deception" squealling. "NOO STAY AWAY FROM ME" and covering your face like that is kinda.... whatever. 

same as not going to a secluded spot to pop your pill. 

also this tabloid person knows how to apperate since he clearly went to Hogwarts. 
and now they are re-creating Princess Di's accident

Dante. come on now. 

wait so hatman is actually gone gone? we wasted an entire year on that? Come on show. 
Ava, just sue for more visitation. come on now

Hey if Harmony gets to Willow....
oh well, never mind. RIP Harmony via Sasha's car. 

Harmony's dead?   Well, I didn't care for the character but the actress is great.  I thought she'd stick around at least until Willow finds out.  Weird. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, CeChase said:

Harmony's dead?   Well, I didn't care for the character but the actress is great.  I thought she'd stick around at least until Willow finds out.  Weird. 

we'll see tomorrow, but Sasha smushed her with her car. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, CeChase said:

Harmony's dead? 

Spoiler

No. She's in the spoilers for next week with Carly urging her to come clean.

This was the longest episode ever. Those "fight" scenes with Harmony, Carly and Alexis or when Harmony picked up a rock that looked heavier than she was to smash Alexis looked like a bunch of bloopers.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Anyone else find it hilarious that the shot of Harmony, as she's about to get hit by the car, has a rock face right behind her, which made it look like Sasha would have driven into that if Harmony hadn't been there.  Good lord props people, do better.  

47 minutes ago, CeChase said:

Harmony's dead? 

Not yet.  She took off running in the forest.  Sasha and Gladys were running away from a papparazzi  and she ran into the road in front of them.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Seeing that nail salon gave me PTSD to OLTL when Jess was getting her nails done and turned into Tess. *shivers*

Nina, Brando could get killed by a stray bullet in the MetroCourt. Nowhere in PC is safe.

Just now, perkie1968 said:

Good lord props people, do better.  

I think that's more of a blocking issue.

I loved BLQ's and Maxie's "Gladys!" Sometimes you want that annoying lady on your side.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

think that's more of a blocking issue.

They used a green screen for the fight at the top of the cliff between Harmony and Brenden.  They could have used a green screen of a road and made it look like she was driving down the road and not in the middle of some rock quarry!!

"If Harmony gets to the highway, she'll get away?!" Really, a disturbed woman on foot is likely to elude law enforcement because she's reached the highway? 

I wasn't sure what Carly thought Harmony would do if she got to Willow. If "protecting" Willow was the purpose of all this mayhem, then it seems unlikely that Harmony would hurt her or Wiley in some way. 

• Useful 2

Well, Carly definitely got inserted into this storyline. At what point will everyone find out that the reason she ended up in the trunk of a car was because she barged into Alexis's house when she knew Alexis's car wasn't there and then she snooped through some papers that Harmony had? Pretty much all the bad that happened today or we will see tomorrow (maybe) was a result of her being where she shouldn't have been. I'm not excusing Harmony, I'd just like for someone to ask Carly "Why did you think it would be OK to enter someone else's house?" 

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, rur said:

, I'd just like for someone to ask Carly "Why did you think it would be OK to enter someone else's house?" 

That won't happen.  They'll all be too intent on telling her how brave she is and how happy they are that she's OK and has exposed and rid PC of a criminal element (insert laugh track).

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, rur said:

I'm not excusing Harmony, I'd just like for someone to ask Carly "Why did you think it would be OK to enter someone else's house?" 

I can hear Aerosmith screaming "dream on" in my head right this second as I was reading this. This show might have just pushed me over the edge just now.

Carly is almost never held accountable for anything, and she especially won't be held accountable for going into Alexis's house uninvited. The door was unlocked, she was just checking in to see how Harmony was doing. If anything they'll give her an engraved plaque that says "Brave. Loyal. Beautiful. Loves with her whole heart." and the keys to the city.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Carly is almost never held accountable for anything, and she especially won't be held accountable for going into Alexis's house uninvited. The door was unlocked, she was just checking in to see how Harmony was doing. If anything they'll give her an engraved plaque that says "Brave. Loyal. Beautiful. Loves with her whole heart." and the keys to the city.

And Alexis will probably devote an entire edition of The Invader to her.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

TempAlexis is horrible. She could barely move and act at the same time. I think the paparazzi guy needed to get closer to Sasha’s face. I don’t think he got her nostrils. Good lord. Horrible OTT acting today on GH. Also, if Violet pronounced color wrong one more time I was going to hurl. I know it’s nice to pick on a child but that was awful. As was the the random chem testing with MW and ME. So weird.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I couldn't even enjoy the cliffside scenes because I knew that Carly was going  to be fine and probably save the day. You had one job, Harmony.

I rarely praise this show but Sonny seeing Marshall's pillbox and possibly recognizing it as BPAD meds was nicely subtle.

I also never thought I'd say this but "Go Gladys".  Although I do hate the Lucy threatened the photographer with Sonny and Diane instead of, you know, calling the police.

Drew is working my last nerve. That "we must protect the women" attitude in his talk with Portia is so no acceptable.

Charlotte/Finn/Ava scenes were cute. But very weird juxtaposed with the darkness of the other scenes.

1 minute ago, CeChase said:

But then there would be less reason for Willow to turn to Carly for support and make this story about Carly too

• Love 6

I wonder if Harmony will let on that Ryan is faking his locked in syndrome and that she and Esme were in cahoots with him, or will she die and take that info to her grave?

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

As was the the random chem testing with MW and ME. So weird.

They don't need to chem test them. They should watch old scenes when ME was playing Silas.

• Love 4

MW is basically a chemistry lightning rod, but Ava and Finn would make no sense.  Like how she and JL have had amazing chemistry going back to ATWT, but Kevin and Ava would be soooooo weird if they tried it.

• Love 2