Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, racked said:

You would also think if she’s smart enough to buy a burner phone, she wouldn’t go out of her way to make it match her actual phone, down to the case.

And did the PCPD check the phone UNDER the case for prints?  Because Trina wouldn't have touched that part of the phone and it should be covered in Esme's prints.  

12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

A fucking retcon to fit the current plot for reasons.

Technically not a retcon.  Niel was injected, they found the syringe under Alexis' bed, but eveyrone assumed that he was druggie and had injected himself and overdosed.  Clearly the whipsmart PCPD also didn't think to check the syringe for prints, even though they were dealing with drug lord Cyrus Renault at the time. 

And speaking of Renault it was assumed at the time that he was responsible for Neil's death (someone accused him of it.... Alexis?  Lauara?  Jordan?) and he denied it and many fans coudln't see the connection between Cyrus and Neil or why he would want Neil dead. 

It was discovered during TJ's kidnapping that Harmony was working at Cyrus' bidding because he had something on her, so now having her be the one to inject Neil makes some sense, though they seem to have forgotten that she was Cyrus' minion in favour of this Willow/Nina stuff instead.  

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

And did the PCPD check the phone UNDER the case for prints?  Because Trina wouldn't have touched that part of the phone and it should be covered in Esme's prints.  

Aww, you're so cute, forgetting what show you're watching. This ain't Breaking Bad for sure. Esme was never shown wiping the phone before she slipped it into Trina's bag. 

The fact that Trina didn't even bring up her visit to Spencer at country club jail and her run in with Esme there is beyond stupid.

It's a jail! There are fucking cameras there!!!! You know, those things that record people for security reasons. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Aww, you're so cute, forgetting what show you're watching. This ain't Breaking Bad for sure. Esme was never shown wiping the phone before she slipped it into Trina's bag. 

Breaking Bad? This isn't even General Hospital circa 1995.

• LOL 4

As someone who isn’t a big Sam fan, it tickles me that the show forgets who she’s related to most of the time because with the exception of Alexis, they’re love giving her scenes with various relatives and having Sam treat them like a stranger and vice versa

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

If ABC was going to interrupt the show today more than once for the news coverage on the arrest of the NYC shooter, they should have probably just stuck with it from the beginning and not cut away. I kind of think ABC should just re-air today’s show tomorrow in full instead of just showing it on their website later tonight

Edited by DanaK
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

The writing for Spence/Trina/Cam/Joss/Esme   has gone down the toilet. It had hope and now it is just stupid and makes no sense.

I see no spark between Spencer and nuTrina so that is a lost opportunity too.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, DanaK said:

If ABC was going to interrupt the show today more than once for the news coverage on the arrest of the NYC shooter, they should have probably just stuck with it from the beginning and not cut away.

We got the full episode, here in Toronto, in anyone needs to know what happened.  

• Love 1

The news of the capture of this shooter could have been told in 5 minutes. Instead, as usual, the network talking heads have to tell us what we already know, the powers that be in NYC have to take turns to tell us the same thing over and over and then, the network talking heads have to reiterate what they’ve already told us. We are not stupid. We got this.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I liked the idea of Scott, Liesl, Nina, and Britt having dinner together but Nina then leaves before dinner go see Phyllis? Sheesh.

Did Nick Spencer have the “I’m doing this for you!” day dream or did Trina? I don’t see heat chemistry between them either and really wish they would find her a more fun love interest.

Edited by Desperado
Nick Chavez is the actor’s name, not character.
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I see no spark between Spencer and nuTrina so that is a lost opportunity too.

It is such bummer. :(

and like i said (to your first part) i think it is just criminal what they are doing to Avery Pohl. she is just a really strong actor and work well with the vets, and I think there was really great potential  in like rehabbing the character a bit. but now you know I just feel there is no hope for it

They really didn't have to go this way at all. 

• Love 3

Today's show:

Nice of Ava to try to keep Spencer out of the gallery because of Trina. But the 'duh' answer is to schedule Spencer at times when Trina isn't there.

Why is Ava calling Dante "Detective Falconeri"? Did she forget that he is her daughter's half-brother?

Dante: "I'm not the lead detective on Trina's case."  Me: Then who is? With Chase off on suspension, you're the only detective there.  I can't believe that Sam is the one pushing Dante to uphold justice.  But there's no real conflict here -- just get some more damn evidence!

Is Nik faking it or has he really really lost his brain around Esme?

I thought Sasquatch territory was the Pacific Northwest? Try a Wendigo.

Obrecht finding her "soul mate" and wanting to hook up Britt with one too is so spot on.

I couldn't figure out why Joss would have a Research Assistant until it was pointed out to me that R.A. means Residence Advisor (known as a don in other places). The RA is doing her job, why would the RA care about Esme who isn't even enrolled at the university?

9 minutes ago, Desperado said:

Did Nick have the “I’m doing this for you!” day dream or did Trina? I don’t see heat chemistry between them either and really wish they would find her a more fun love interest.

Spencer had it. I think we're supposed to feel sorry for him, caught like this (but I don't). And yes, it is a shame that they didn't do this with Original Trina because I don't see any chemistry between this one and Spencer.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

i think it is just criminal what they are doing to Avery Pohl.

The problem is, that AP is a very talented actress, so they're going to want to keep her, but how do you rehab a character who's done such a vile and disgusting thing?  Unless they send her to Shadybrook for six months and bring her back, it's just not feasible.  

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Daisy said:

and like i said (to your first part) i think it is just criminal what they are doing to Avery Pohl. she is just a really strong actor and work well with the vets, and I think there was really great potential  in like rehabbing the character a bit. but now you know I just feel there is no hope for it

I think that they are sort of starting to "rehab" her right now. She's not lying about her parents and she's not lying about this Maggie person, whom you can be certain is going to show up in PC. The letter Esme read today was cautioning her about her father. So you know they're going to lay the blame on Ryan's doorstep for everything. Esme wasn't like this before, Ryan warped her mind. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 4

Sam: I know you Dante.

Yes it takes tons of intimacy and chats to guess that Dante would use his son's name for his phone.

Edited by ulkis
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

So far the show is doing way more telling than showing what a sexy spontaneous passionate couple Nik and Ava are.

23 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

The problem is, that AP is a very talented actress, so they're going to want to keep her, but how do you rehab a character who's done such a vile and disgusting thing?  Unless they send her to Shadybrook for six months and bring her back, it's just not feasible.  

I don't know this doesn't seem that big of a deal compared with the tons of murder and rape by other characters. In the real world yes but on the show? Meh.

Why is Ava calling Dante "Detective Falconeri"? Did she forget that he is her daughter's half-brother?

Usually this kind of thing annoys me but I can buy they aren't on a first name basis or that she would call him that to suck up or needle him as required.

You know they are struggling to meet KT's minimums when Britt doing all this dating website crap that should be played all in one damn episode. It's been like a month since she first submitted herself.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Why is Ava calling Dante "Detective Falconeri"? Did she forget that he is her daughter's half-brother?

Ava keeps it profession when she hassles the local law enforcement

KT look awesome in that white/cream? dress!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Trina upset she was arrested for something she didn't do doesn't quite square with her wanting to plead guilty for something she didn't do. 

You know Esmé was on seduction duty today because she wasn't wearing sneakers, heh.

"I want us to be close, in that way, again." Oh, Joss. If you can't say the word sex, you shouldn't be having it.

It's probably too much to ask that Sam and Dante break up for her snooping around his phone. He'll wag his finger and she'll promise to behave. Ugh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Catching up on episodes I missed - On Monday, it seems that Dante and Jordan are not convinced of Trina's guilt, but the DA (whose name escapes me) is hell-bent on going to trial (and winning) because it is her pet crusade. Interesting that it doesn't occur to Dante and Jordan (and anyone else) that they accused and arrested Trina prematurely. Although, I hope that their concerns are more substantial than "Trina isn't just that kind of girl".

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

On Monday, it seems that Dante and Jordan are not convinced of Trina's guilt, but the DA (whose name escapes me) is hell-bent on going to trial (and winning) because it is her pet crusade.Interesting that it doesn't occur to Dante and Jordan (and anyone else) that they accused and arrested Trina prematurely. 

It's her job to win. I hate that the show hates the office of the DA. 

The evidence so far does point to Trina, but I also don't get why Trina was arrested so quickly. As so many have pointed out, the investigation is still ongoing! At least Scott was able to get her out on bail. 

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

It's probably too much to ask that Sam and Dante break up for her snooping around his phone. He'll wag his finger and she'll promise to behave.

Im betting he hasn't actually caught her.  It's a fake out.  

It would be cool if they took Dante away from Sam and gave him to Britt. 

I still feel like NuTrina needs to relax and loosen it up. I hope she and NC can find some chemistry or the pay off of this whole thing will be yet another whimper. 

I still don't see why they pre-empted yesterday when it wasn't really a shoot 'em 'up. 

• Love 3

So now we know, I think, that whomever is terrorizing Liz is living in the attic. (Obviously, that could include a DID alternate.) I am pretty sure Cameron said that he checked the closets and under the beds, but not something like an attic.

I like Nik and Ava (mostly because I love Ava) but in that scene with Nik and Esme today, I kind of felt the chemistry? Maybe it’s just that Avery Pohl is very good. 

I’m sad at the lack of chemistry btwn NuTrina and Spencer. I actually think this actress may turn out to be stronger overall than SM, but something Sydney and Nick Chavez had from day one was chemistry. Maybe if they let these two have some more scenes together it’ll develop. But what a bummer, I could just imagine todays scenes with SM and it would have been fiery. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Us Canucks don't get the previews, so I have to go hunting for them on YouTube (mental preparation for whatever unpleasant thing *cough*Michael*cough* is happening the next day) and it doesn't look like it's a fake out. 

6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

He's a cop. His password is dumb.

That was beyond stupid.  Plus Sam thinking herself clever for trying Dante’s son’s name as the password?  She’s just awful.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

OF course--anyone against the usuals is obviously corrupt or just on some power trip.  God forbid they're just doing their job.

I hope Dante caught Sam, because I want to see the hand-wave the show does on her being a snoop at the service of Carly.  Compare that to Ava being "way out of line" for simply defending Trina. 

After Sonny contended that gifting Charlie's to Phyllis would kill her in taxes as opposed to selling it for the whopping sum of $100, I'd really love for the IRS to get him on tax evasion. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, racked said:

I’m sad at the lack of chemistry btwn NuTrina and Spencer. I actually think this actress may turn out to be stronger overall than SM, but something Sydney and Nick Chavez had from day one was chemistry. Maybe if they let these two have some more scenes together it’ll develop. But what a bummer, I could just imagine todays scenes with SM and it would have been fiery. 

I just got there and yeah.. omg SM/NC would have just been fire there. 

• Love 7
On 4/13/2022 at 6:56 PM, perkie1968 said:

"How could she ever guess!"

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

Nah, I see plenty of chemistry myself. I think the recast is a pretty crazy success, I haven't seen one like it in a long time.

I dig her. I'm not sure I see the sparks with Spencer, but I do think the good thing about this is that Nicholas Chavez seems to get to know his co-stars, which is why he's good at generating chemistry with everybody.

There's a pluckiness to NuTrina that I like a lot.

People seem to be speculating that the new cop guy is into her, which could be fun.

• Love 7

I figured when they cast Nicholas Chavez, who's noticeably older than the genuine teens playing the rest of his peer group, that he was intended for a romance with an older woman. I suppose the only real candidates are Britt (who he sees as a mother) and Ava (who's already been with his father, uncle and cousin). Pity, because I think that would have potential for Nikolas and Laura. Guess we'll get that May-December romance instead with Trina and the new cop (who looks way older than her) that no core character will ever care about.

Meanwhile the LGBTQ+ characters get non-entities like Chet as their love interest (why not match Teri with someone like Drew, and have the relationship, and people's reactions to it, play out onscreen?) or have a totally non-existent love life like Brad (who's more interested in sorting out a new BF for his BFF, who hasn't gone without for nearly as long as he himself has!)

Edited by Aymery
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Aymery said:

we'll get that May-December romance instead with Trina and the new cop (who looks way older than her)

He's waaaayyyy too old for her.  NuTrina just turned 20 and the actor who plays Rory is 31.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's not just that. There's just no nuance or subtlety here. For someone who's an ADA, I'm assuming she's intelligent. Would know that Trina is a cop's kid. Look at the history of the suspect-and not just be so gung ho that she has the one who committed the crime, on the flimsiest of evidence. But par for the course for this FAKAKTA show, to have an arrest and arraignment while the cops are still investigating.🙄which means ADA will get egg on her face when the proof comes out Trina is innocent of the crime. 

And I'll sit at my island of one, because I see nothing that impresses me about the actress who plays Esme. Her voice annoys me. And she has just one expression on her face, no matter what she is saying.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Aymery said:

I figured when they cast Nicholas Chavez, who's noticeably older than the genuine teens playing the rest of his peer group, that he was intended for a romance with an older woman. I suppose the only real candidates are Britt (who he sees as a mother) and Ava (who's already been with his father, uncle and cousin). Pity, because I think that would have potential for Nikolas and Laura. Guess we'll get that May-December romance instead with Trina and the new cop (who looks way older than her) that no core character will ever care about.

Nich Chavez is only 22. A few years older than Eden and Wil but still in the same age demographic. 

I was hoping they would bring on a new young guy for Trina (a secret Wu was my hope but looks like new cop might fall into that category) but I’m not so sure what the plan is now. I’m still willing to see if chemistry develops btwn Trina and Spencer. The actress jumped right in when she’s supposed to be mad at him, so maybe some scenes of longing that will reveal chemistry are still to come. I do think the actress has a lot of potential. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, jsbt said:

I think the recast is a pretty crazy success

I cannot get past the baby voice.

7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

People seem to be speculating that the new cop guy is into her, which could be fun.

I hope he is. Spencer is a spineless turd, and Trina, baby voice and all, deserves better than that.

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

i can't say anything. this is basically my voice (sigh). even my mom can't get past it sometimes :( (lol)

• LOL 4

I’m confused by the Spencer/Trina scenes. So Spencer doesn’t believe Esme and has some plan. What’s his reason for not telling Trina that and pretending that he thinks she’s guilty? Esme wasn’t in the room with them either time they spoke. Also, he clearly doesn’t want Trina to give him up as her alibi. He’s willing to let her go to prison over a crime she didn’t commit rather than spend a little extra time in that country club jail over something he did do but we’re supposed to root for them? Why

Edited by ffwbe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

but we’re supposed to root for them? Why

Cuz the writers said so.

I would really like to see Trina tell Scott about her alibi. It would make my day. Spencer and Nikolas are behaving exactly the same way. They seem to have the same goals, but they are just irredeemably stupid.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I would really like to see Trina tell Scott about her alibi. It would make my day.

She did say she wasn't going to lie for him. This would actually be a very soapy moment if she were asked about it on the stand. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I hope he is. Spencer is a spineless turd, and Trina, baby voice and all, deserves better than that.

Due to medical issues, my mom has been strictly listening to the show. She stated today she doesn’t like nuTrina because she’s “whiny and doesn’t seem as independent” as OG Trina. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Same here. I keep thinking, 'Get a voice coach and drop it a register as [insert name of famous woman] did.' No matter how much fire she puts into her acting, her voice nullifies it.

4 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

He's waaaayyyy too old for her.  NuTrina just turned 20 and the actor who plays Rory is 31.  

That just seems normal to me, especially since Trina is more mature than the others in the teen group. Except when she's saying that she should plead guilty because it hurts others if she goes to jail, that is.

• Love 1

So we're going full steam ahead with Dr. Drew and the SheBeast, then. And may whatever save our souls. This is going to be unbearable with him spit shining her halo every nanosecond. What have I done to deserve this? I'm a good person, for fuck's sake.

Rory seems to be sweet on Trina. I've been liking their scenes.

I'm glad that Cameron was allowed to have a scene partner who isn't Joss. They're not a 2 for 1, show. So please, more of him apart from her, where he doesn't have to hold her purse or whatever.

I have no clue what they're doing with BL and Chase. Like at all.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

So we're going full steam ahead with Dr. Drew and the SheBeast, then. And may whatever save our souls. This is going to be unbearable with him spit shining her halo every nanosecond. What have I done to deserve this? I'm a good person, for fuck's sake.

What have any of us done?

And this is all moot once Steve Burton comes roostering back into the fold.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Also, he clearly doesn’t want Trina to give him up as her alibi.

The stupid part is that she doesn't even have to mention him.  She ran into Jordan minutes after she was with Spencer, so if the time stamp on the video (or whatever technology is involved in finding out the time the video was uploaded) shows anything, Trina can just point out that she was talking to Jordan at that exact same time.  No need to mention Spencer was there.  Unless she wants to bury him.  

5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

That just seems normal to me, especially since Trina is more mature than the others in the teen group

Normal if it was ten or even five years later.  But right now, she's in her first year of college and he's past that and has a job.  

6 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm glad that Cameron was allowed to have a scene partner who isn't Joss.

I thought WL did a great job in those scenes.  Cam was super pissed when Spencer first showed up and WL made me believe it.  

• Love 7