Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Alexis says Finn needs 90 days of rehab?  Does this mean they're writing off the character, writing in a long summer holiday for the actor, or will 90 days be two weeks in SoapWorld Time?

Wish Millow would end stat.

ETA:  Drew is changing his last name to Quartermaine?  Seriously?

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Like 1
(edited)

"Do you think anyone would mind if Nina stayed?" Willow, only you and your dunce (extended) family hold a grudge against Nina. No one else cares.

44 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Also, giggling with Sasha over Cody was lame. Do the writers realize these women are sexually experienced adults, not middle schoolers?

I don't like Sasha's newly blonde chunks. And no, the writers don't realize these women are adults. They have a very hard time writing age-appropriate dialogue for most characters.

How long before we find out Gio's dad is someone we know?

44 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Preview: It's such bad writing that Carly would choose now to get in Sam's face about one of her past pregnancies.

Seriously. There's absolutely no point for this crap.

Also: Scott and Lucy teaming up again. If it's about stupid Deception, STAHP. I can't take that story a second longer.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Alexis says Finn needs 90 days of rehab?  Does this mean they're writing off the character, writing in a long summer holiday for the actor, or will 90 days be two weeks in SoapWorld Time?

This storyline came on so suddenly, no spoilers, but I think it screams “actor needs to be gone for a good bit”. 90 days is such a weird number though.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

ETA:  Drew is changing his last name to Quartermaine?  Seriously?

I assume he wants name recognition. Being Drew Quartermaine, the son of the late Dr. Alan Quartermaine and thus a member of the prominent Quartermaine Family which started the company ELQ, sounds better than orphan Drew Caine. 

I guess he figures cousin Ned changing his last name from Ashton to Quartermaine, and then Ned's daughter following his example, has worked out. I'm not sure if Drew knows that Michael briefly changed his last name to Quartermaine. 

Does Willow have a hyphenated last name? What about the two kids?

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I assume he wants name recognition. Being Drew Quartermaine, the son of the late Dr. Alan Quartermaine and thus a member of the prominent Quartermaine Family which started the company ELQ, sounds better than orphan Drew Caine. 

He's dumb. He'd be more relatable as Drew Cain than Drew Quartermaine. In his case and his brother's Quarterbrain, because they're irredeemable morons.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3

Drew changing his last name is dumb because it's not as if people won't otherwise know he's a Q.

I had to chuckle when Curtis was telling Portia he won't mind the extra work on the wellness project because it mean he'll be more of his own boss and able to incorporate his ideas. I really hope he unknowingly brings in some hucksters and ruins things.

I wonder if the emphasis on 90 days for Finn's rehab is also a signal that the program involves more than going to two meetings a day and is likely residential.

If this is a way to get Michael Easton off the canvas, whether temporarily or permanently, we still have Violet, and she'll need to be dealt with. I bet she'll go with Chase and BL, who don't need a kid but do need more of a story than being newlyweds.

• Like 2

Ugh. Other than Ned, anytime someone in that family wanted to change their last name to Quartermaine, the reason has been completely self serving. BL changed hers because she thought it would get her out of her singing contract and Michael considered it twice but never did it- once to be petty because he was mad at Sonny and Carly and another time during Wiley’s custody battle because he thought it would make him look better to have the Q last name instead of Corinthos (to which Diane said it would be obvious why he did it and doesn’t distance him from his mob family anyway). 

• Like 3
(edited)
37 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

to which Diane said it would be obvious why he did it

Which applies to Drew as well, IMO. He was just fine going by Drew Cain until now. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Which applies to Drew as well, IMO. He was just fine going by Drew Cain until now. 

I don’t see how it would help him either. I would think the foster kid turned Navy Seal turned media mogul is a much better story than someone from an extremely wealthy family with a zillion skeletons in their closet and some pretty big public embarrassments. Ned being a Q didn’t help his mayor bid once he got to the regular election. He only narrowly won the special election because Alexis had even bigger dirt but the next one was basically only his family supporting him while the rest of the town was backing Laura. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I wonder if the emphasis on 90 days for Finn's rehab is also a signal that the program involves more

One of my closest friends had to go to rehab due to pain killer addiction and it was a 90 day stint-no access to cell phone either. But that’s real life. Who knows what FAKAKTA  plot these people will come up with.

• Like 2

Okay so I know Amanda Setton doesn’t want to wear body con clothes. But knee high boots in JUNE???? Would it kill her to wear a pair of sandals? 

alexis and Finn scenes were good.the rest of the show put me to sleep.

• Like 6

This show loves wasting large group scenes. They must have trouble balancing the mins of their large cast because absolutely nothing was going on at Willow’s birthday party for them to waste like 10-12 actors for those mindless chit chat scenes. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Nina, Nina, Nina... Willow gives finally gives you another opening and you are already coming with the schemes and shenanigans. 

I think Finn could start with some time off work and grief/addiction counselling. He is a long-time sober drug addict who is on an alcohol bender. It is serious, but I don't think it is automatically "you must go to a 90 day rehab right this minute" serious. 

• Like 6

I admit to looking forward to Carly walking in on Drew having sex with Nina and/or Willow.  

It's bound to happen.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 12

What's Scouts last name? Are they going to not change hers too? 

Gio is at the stranger party because Lois and Olivia made him yet neither of them are there? No Kristina, Dante? 

Alexis and Finn were great.  

Liz running to Portia again seemed right and wrong at same time. Especially considering all the illegal activity she's done. 

Gio is going to be someone's kid. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The scenes with Alexis and Finn were the best thing about today’s show.

Especially the part where she lied that Violet was behind Finn and heard everything he had just said and he turned around to look

• Like 4
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Gio is at the stranger party because Lois and Olivia made him yet neither of them are there? No Kristina, Dante? 

Liz running to Portia again seemed right and wrong at same time. Especially considering all the illegal activity she's done. 

Is he too old to be Dante's kid? I would like to remind the writers that not everyone who comes to town has to be a relative. Granted, I'm not sure why anyone would voluntarily choose Port Charles to live unless they already had family there. 

• LOL 3
9 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Especially the part where she lied that Violet was behind Finn and heard everything he had just said and he turned around to look

Absolutely! And then this gem:

“Made you look.”

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
On 6/16/2024 at 8:06 PM, ComeWhatMay said:

If they go forward with this Heather nonsense in light of Johnny’s death, they are just hopeless.

I don't think that Wactor's death should affect any story decisions or writing in my view, especially in this case.  Brando's death was so long ago, and he was murdered by a serial killer with multiple other victims.

On 6/16/2024 at 8:06 PM, ComeWhatMay said:

Her victims included a cop and vet,

I don't think that this necessarily means that Heather shouldn't be set free.  I also don't think that the lives of military and law enforcement should be valued higher than any other lives.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

why there's a flamingo figure on the top of a birthday cake in upstate NY instead of the words Happy Birthday or anything resembling birthday celebration decorations. 

I think they cleaned out Dollar Tree for the decorations.  Especially for those tinsel curtains.

I don't know if you know this but Morgan liked penguins.  So it's quite conceivable that Willow likes flamingos.

• LOL 11
10 hours ago, TVbitch said:

think Finn could start with some time off work and grief/addiction counselling. He is a long-time sober drug addict who is on an alcohol bender. It is serious, but I don't think it is automatically "you must go to a 90 day rehab right this minute" serious. 

This exactly!! This writing is insulting to anyone who has had a family member actual in a "full blown alcoholic spiral".

• Like 5
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I am SHOCKED. SLS didn’t invite Jaysus?

He's been in the warehouse.  The UCG moment for today is Jason's "Are you high?" expression when John/Jagger tells him he's off the hook because Anna is the head of Pikeman. SB has his moments. John/Jagger saying he believed in Anna because of Stone and Robin and he was wrong is gross. I bet his brother's spirit wouldn't appreciate that comment. 

Sam is dumber than a box of rocks if she actually thought that asking Carly "mother to mother" to ask Jason to stay away from Danny because he's a danger to Danny would go well. Sam was there when Carly got back together with Sonny and still kept her close friendship with Jason after her son -Jason's namesake - was presumed dead by a Mob car bomb. I'm a little surprised that Sam actually had the guts to say she didn't want Danny to end up like Morgan. 

Ouch but accurate - Carly's line that Sam wanted a baby and Jason "gave in." I can't feel sorry for Sam's "I was in love with him" tears.  

Sasha, you should thank Gio for (unknowingly) stopping you and Cody from having sex in the Q boathouse. Eww. (I think that's where Lulu got pregnant as a teenager?) I would think Sasha should want better for herself after conceiving now-deceased Liam in a car with now-deceased Brando (RIP JW). She wasn't in an actual relationship then, either.

Scotty and Lucy spending an entire episode talking about Heather is a waste.

• Like 4

Surprisingly, I like having Anna and Jason interact. SB can also use on her the “what can you be thinking?” expressions he usually reserves for Carly.

I was also on board with his acting when he gave Anna the ultimatum because it sounded like he was protecting her but the writers had him say “Carly” instead and all was lost. Sigh.

Anna protecting Valentin and throwing Hot John to the wolves, is killing me.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Artsda said:

Gio is at the stranger party because Lois and Olivia

I'd like to fanwank it that Olivia and Lois were doing rock, paper, scissors to see who could get out of going and then spotted Gio and made him go as their representative.

36 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And thus begins the destruction of Jagger.

No, unfortunately, I think that started the minute he walked back into town.  Law enforcement never wins against Sonny/Carly/Jason.  

• Like 1

Ugh, of course John gets hold of the wrong end of the stick when it comes to who's running Pikeman. Sigh. John needs to stop teasing us that Carly might go to prison. She never will, we all know that. 

What did Sam expect from Carly? Carly will always take Jason's side. I had to laugh when Sam said she grew up but Jason didn't. Jason can't grow up; he's brain-damaged. Sam should have a serious conversation with Danny, which if the writers weren't allergic to effort, could be interesting.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Yeah, Jagger looks the fool unless Anna is really Alex, and Anna is being held hostage somewhere and that's what leads to Finola's vacation.  I have been wondering if this is the case lately.   I don't know. 

• Like 2

A guy changes his name just before he runs for office - that's not a red flag, is it? It seems so cynical. Why not run with the name you've been known as? If I were an opponent, I would be making the comment that it seems like he's trying to "buy" the election, whether he claims he doesn't need contributions or not. 

Just what is Portia supposed to do with Elizabeth's info about Finn? Surely, she can't just take someone's word for it that a doctor is abusing alcohol. Elizabeth is sharing in good faith, but what if someone just wants to torpedo another doctor's reputation? There has to be some kind of investigation, doesn't there?  In the meantime, maybe Finn will straighten out - or not. 

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

No, unfortunately, I think that started the minute he walked back into town.  Law enforcement never wins against Sonny/Carly/Jason.  

I was hoping under Mulcahey, that the cops/good guys would finally win after 2 decades. More Fool Me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5
17 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was hoping under Mulcahey, that the cops/good guys would finally win after 2 decades. More Fool Me.

Same. 😞

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 2
54 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Im Depressed Golden Girls GIF

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • LOL 1

Even though it was just some BS designed for Carly to show how true and loyal she remains to Jason, I enjoyed the Sam/Carly confrontation. They make better enemies than fake friends. Carly should have just told Sam not to worry cuz Jason is too busy trying to save Sonny and staring at his dusty desk in the coffee warehouse to bother seeing much of Danny or Jake, and PS he regrets having kids. (mike drop) 🎤

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, CeChase said:

Yeah, Jagger looks the fool unless Anna is really Alex, and Anna is being held hostage somewhere and that's what leads to Finola's vacation.  I have been wondering if this is the case lately.   I don't know. 

I had the exact same thought today. 

The thing I hate about this story, and others, is Carly. I'm so sick of Carly and I'm sure I'm not alone. She's breaking my brain.

• Like 4
  • Applause 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Jagger: if you warn Anna, Carly goes to prison

Jason: Anna, Jagger thinks you’re running Pikeman.

Me: Carly Benson, you’re under arrest for racketeering. You have the right to remain silent. …

sasha and Cody are not children. There’s no reason they can’t fuck anywhere they damn well please, so why are they hiding from a teenager with a violin? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

A guy changes his name just before he runs for office - that's not a red flag, is it? It seems so cynical. Why not run with the name you've been known as? If I were an opponent, I would be making the comment that it seems like he's trying to "buy" the election, whether he claims he doesn't need contributions or not. 

What about the fact Drew was recently convicted of a felony and sent to prison recently?

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

I found the Sam/Carly convo to be pointless. There’s no way that Sam would have ever expected Carly to acknowledge that Jason is anything short of godlike without a single failing. She doesn’t care about his kids or their feelings, let’s be honest. Also, he hasn’t sought Danny out a single time since he’s been back and Danny already knows Sam doesn’t want him around Jason so I’m not sure what Jason can do in that respect other than ignore Danny and walk out of the room anytime Danny happens to seek him out, which would likely give him an even bigger complex. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 6
  • LOL 2
26 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

What about the fact Drew was recently convicted of a felony and sent to prison recently?

Not a problem!

• LOL 3

Sam was stupid to go to Carly. Carly was just being stupid in purpose.  She's never going to think of Jason as anything other than a saint and nothing is his fault.  

Carly knows Jason was shot at like 2 days ago and she still acted like Sam was the wrong one for wanted Danny far away. 

Morgan mention, Sam also should have brought up a Michaels bullet to the head. 

Now Scott is going to team Heather too. Good for Lucy using the Franco scenario. 

Anna thinks she'll find what evidence and everything will be over. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

What was up with Adam’s 180 hard turn today? It was just last week when she pranced at the pool, trying to do her super spy act (and so bad and beyond cringe worthy) to get Jagger’s ID, so Jar-Jar Binks could hack into the FBI. Just so she could save Jaysus.

Not that I care, but it makes no damn sense. Unless we’re seeing Van Etten’s writing now?

As for Anna? Show REALLY REALLY needs to bring on Robert AND Mac, so they can slap Anna upside her head; Laura needs to fire her and promote Mac to  Commish.

• Like 5

So Aiden's bullying storyline has been totally dropped by the new regime? Is no one querying what happened there? An out-of-the-blue recast and the last scene filmed by the previous actor is not followed up on at all? During Pride month, no less?

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

I found the Sam/Carly convo to be pointless. 

I assume it was to revive the Sam-Carly hostility/eliminate their "friendship." The show has demonstrated some restraint -Jason returns and there have been no women arguing about him for more than three whole months. Actually, I think subconsciously Sam wants Jason to feel hurt about Danny, and this is a way to do it. She had to know that of course Carly would never advise Jason to stay away from Danny at Sam's request, but she will complain to Jason that Sam came to see her about Danny. I bet Carly's version of the story is that Sam just proved she never deserved Jason let alone to be the mother of his child. 

Sam used to be in love with Jason and was living in denial about the reality of his life and their future, right up to the night of Jason's dock-n-roll featuring Faison. Now she's left with residual anger, hurt and disappointment about the life she wanted with him (even while happy with Dante), but has no place to put all those feelings. I'm sure there's also some resentment in there that Jason has not so much as hinted that he has missed her, or Danny, or still longs to live together as a family.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Aymery said:

So Aiden's bullying storyline has been totally dropped by the new regime? Is no one querying what happened there? An out-of-the-blue recast and the last scene filmed by the previous actor is not followed up on at all? During Pride month, no less?

Sounds about right.

On 6/17/2024 at 4:22 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

One of my closest friends had to go to rehab due to pain killer addiction and it was a 90 day stint-no access to cell phone either. But that’s real life. Who knows what FAKAKTA  plot these people will come up with.

I’m skeptical of Finn suddenly having an alcohol problem when he was only ever addicted to that designer medication he used to treat that made up disease he had. Did your friend also have issues with alcohol?  If not, is alcohol now an issue.

i’m genuinely curious, because this has not been my (albeit limited) observation.

• Like 1
On 6/17/2024 at 6:44 PM, Artsda said:

The scene with Alexis and Finn was good.  The writers managed to not screw that up, also NLG and ME really sold it.  Which is saying something as I really don’t enjoy the storyline at all

2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I found the Sam/Carly convo to be pointless. There’s no way that Sam would have ever expected Carly to acknowledge that Jason is anything short of godlike without a single failing. She doesn’t care about his kids or their feelings, let’s be honest. Also, he hasn’t sought Danny out a single time since he’s been back and Danny already knows Sam doesn’t want him around Jason so I’m not sure what Jason can do in that respect other than ignore Danny and walk out of the room anytime Danny happens to seek him out, which would likely give him an even bigger complex. 

Carly was a massive bitch, as usual, and incredibly stupid.  Raving as she did.  Even though the whole mob thing cost her Morgan’s life.  Which Sam should have thrown in her face.  Aside from that, Sam was stupid to even think she could have that kind of conversation with Carly and expect anything other than what she got.

I’m also dumber now.  For having witnessed them bleating at each other.  I hope the writers are satisfied.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Pretty sure Mulaney was in for 90 days. Especially for a relapse that doesn't sound crazy.

I agree Drew changing his name right before filing would seem sus. But New York did elect George Santos so who knows. He should hyphenate. The fact that he's a Q is something voters should know for good or for ill.

And thanks for the head's up on Scott and Lucy. Now I know what my next call with my Mom will be about. She HATES them.

Edited by Grinaldi
  • Like 3