Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, MarciNJ said:

wait until the baby is sick and needs a kidney from Kristina....

I have no doubt that they will cut it out of her.

I was pleasantly surprised that they don't seem to want to drag the Blaze is gay and tap dance around her relationship with Kristina whenever her mother is in the room. Her mother seems very domineering and tone deaf, but I love Eva LaRue and I loved the boots she was wearing.

I liked Nina's dress. She looked really good in it.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Why was Blaze calling her mother "Mommy"?  Maybe that's why she treats you like a child.  How was Mommy just able to let herself into Blaze's room?  Color me shocked that all this lead up to Blaze coming out of the closet and it took, literally  minutes to out herself.  Oooooh, the suspense is kil.....oh, it's over.

Dear Mr FBI man, I don't think you should be telling the local mob moll all about your investigation.  I mean, he got pissy when Dante wanted to warn his father, but he'll spill the beans to carly?  

Dear Carly, just because Sonny threw some money at the hospital in Stone's name and just because Jason is your bestie does not make then not criminals.  That way of thinking (writing) is so stupid.  

So Windemere is no more?  Not even Valentin wanted it?  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Why was Blaze calling her mother "Mommy"?  Maybe that's why she treats you like a child. 

She called her mamí

• Like 9
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Why was Blaze calling her mother "Mommy"?  Maybe that's why she treats you like a child.  How was Mommy just able to let herself into Blaze's room?  Color me shocked that all this lead up to Blaze coming out of the closet and it took, literally  minutes to out herself.  Oooooh, the suspense is kil.....oh, it's over.

It's "Mami." 

As a cultural thing, I don't think people from PR (among other places) transition out of it the way many non-Hispanic Americans do "Mommy" to "Mom." 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Why was Blaze calling her mother "Mommy"?

I’m s 60+ yr old woman and call my mother mommy. Not sure why that’s a bad thing?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

It's "Mami." 

As a cultural thing, I don't think people from PR (among other places) transition out of it the way many non-Hispanic Americans do "Mommy" to "Mom." 

My white ass learned this from years watching One Life to Live where the Puerto Rican Vega hunks regularly called their mother this day after day. Rest in power, Kamar de los Reyes!

• Like 3
  • Love 16

Ava disappoints me for falling in line with Sonny because she knows he’ll restrict her access to Avery if not. It’s been 7 years since he blackmailed her and Sonny is ripe to turn the scales and gain leverage so she can gain custody back yet nothing. This is also after years of Sonny saying that Carly was Avery’s mom and Ava was the bitch they had to deal with. 

Crazy thing is I can’t see any of Sonny’s other baby mamas acting like that despite Ava being the badass from a mob family. They will have done all they could to get their kids back. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

No John. No. NO. NO!!!!!!   🙄 😖  🤮

Carly: Let me tell you something, I don't care if someone is a killer, mobster, or crook. If he sucks up to me, he's a good man. Shame on you for putting the law and public safety above what's really important. 

John: I am so sorry. I must now reevaluate my entire life, career and moral compass, and fall madly in love with you. 

• LOL 17

I don't know who this Eva actress is, but why does casting feel the need to hire women who are a foot taller than their daughters?  Yeah, only one is wearing heels, but still.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Only in town a few weeks and already John got the memo that Carly must not be upset.  Do better, show.

The primary purpose of every character is to prop up Carly.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
51 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Are they chem testing Carly and Jagger John?  Because I’m not feeling it (even though I will accept anyone as long as it is not Carly).

I don’t think so. He said in a recent interview that he tested for a different role first and it was a straight chem test with LW. He didn’t get it but they called him back for this one. Besides, Jason is coming home so there’ll be no room in her life for anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I don’t think so. He said in a recent interview that he tested for a different role first and it was a straight chem test with LW. He didn’t get it but they called him back for this one. Besides, Jason is coming home so there’ll be no room in her life for anyone else.

He tested for Brennan.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
49 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I can see why after that scene because they don’t have any chemistry. However, they give Carly these types of scenes with practically every newbie guy. I’ve never gotten why because it’s rarely ever led to anything  

• Like 7
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I can see why after that scene because they don’t have any chemistry. However, they give Carly these types of scenes with practically every newbie guy. I’ve never gotten why because it’s rarely ever led to anything  

Carly must have her fingers in every single storyline. That's why she gets to meet these newbies. Carly is the Jesus of the show. Everyone must come to her and kiss her feet.

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 4

Blaze should have let Kristina go and had this convo with her mother alone. I don’t think it’s fair to subject Kristina to the awkwardness and possible bigotry from her mother. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

Bobbie never sought revenge? Funny, that’s not how I remembered her. Maybe Carly genuinely believes that because Bobbie didn’t seek revenge against her but when she says things like that, it just make me see their relationship as completely one sided and that she didn’t know her mother at all. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 1

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t Drew’s prison stay even shorter than what he originally thought he was getting in his cake plea deal since Alexis blackmailed the judge to get him released? Yeah I get that he had to go to Pentonville instead of Spring Ridge but cmon. Alexis, Spencer, and Sam managed longer bids in Pentonville in the past 4 years and none of them have Navy Seal training or memories of being a mob enforcer. 

Also, Carly has never turned the other cheek ever in her life. The show is straight up gaslighting atp

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
30 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Maybe Carly genuinely believes that because Bobbie didn’t seek revenge against her but when she says things like that, it just make me see their relationship as completely one sided and that she didn’t know her mother at all. 

This is accurate. Recall during the tribute episode that she knew nothing of Bobbie and Felicia's friendship. She also never knew that Bobbie had parties at the Brownstone and included Tony in those parties after their marriage was dunzo.

All Carly ever knew or cared about regarding Bobbie's life was their relationship concerning what Bobbie was willing to do for her, or as a grandmother and also regarding the baby that Bobbie's son had to give up to her grandson. Carly never showed concern for Lucas or paused to wonder if perhaps her mom was feeling torn between Lucas's pain and Michael's happiness. The situation was treated like Lucas had been a great foster father to a baby who didn't have parents.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually enjoyed a Maxie-Spinelli scene. It was awesome to see Maxie get angry, not get taken in by Spinelli trying to justify lying to her,  and then kick him out. Also, is he really in love with Maxie, or is he really just tired of/sulking about being single because it's been awhile since Ellie dumped him for choosing his precious "Stone Cold" over her?

Ugh at Drew/Carly and Sonny/Nina. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough to switch off before getting an eyeful of Drew's bare back in the bed.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

Blaze should have let Kristina go and had this convo with her mother alone. I don’t think it’s fair to subject Kristina to the awkwardness and possible bigotry from her mother. 

Yep. I know Blaze wanted the emotional support, but it was unfair of her. At least they had Kristina stay silent. They've been gratifyingly consistent with Kristina's attitude toward everyone's path to coming out.

LOL at Sonny calling Nina "reckless and petty." Look in the mirror, dude. 

OMG, Sonny is blaming Nina for keeping him from his family? He didn't want to know! 

There is so. much. gaslighting going on here.

I thought the Maxie/Spin scenes were well done, to my surprise.

So...Carly just closes up Kelly because she wants to fuck Drew? Okay then.

20 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Carly never showed concern for Lucas or paused to wonder if perhaps her mom was feeling torn between Lucas's pain and Michael's happiness.

To be fair, neither did the show. It was pretty much a fait accompli that Lucas would give up Wiley without a whimper. That whole aspect of it was so enraging. Poor Lucas. No one had his back.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Yep. I know Blaze wanted the emotional support, but it was unfair of her. At least they had Kristina stay silent. They've been gratifyingly consistent with Kristina's attitude toward everyone's path to coming out.

Unfortunately, Blaze’s path getting out of the closet is clearly painful. Her mom is in deep denial. The actresses did a good job with those scenes

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

To be fair, neither did the show. It was pretty much a fait accompli that Lucas would give up Wiley without a whimper. That whole aspect of it was so enraging. Poor Lucas. No one had his back.

I know the narrative reasons behind it, of course, but it annoyed the crap out of how the show wanted us to think that Wiley who was a BABY at the time of the reveal never had any trauma from being taken away from the only two parents he knew and sent to live with who was essentially a stranger to him.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

So Carly has published her "first and last" Crimson issue and she walks out to go back to "Bobbie's"? Very professional. The magazine doesn't stop when an issue goes out - the staff should already be working on the next one, so it can go out on time, and we haven't seen Carly do anything to get that ramped up. IRL, I think there would be a line of people outside her office asking her for information about what the next issue is and making decisions about everything. Instead, she's at the cafe and Drew is following her. I think Nina could just sashay back in and take control and neither Carly nor Drew would even notice. Only downside would be those dreary HR bureaucrats with their W-4 forms and such needed for paychecks.

• Like 9

Sonny - isn't "Reckless and Petty" pretty much the Port Charles' city motto? It applies to just about everyone who lives there. The only difference is the degree. 

Of course, Sonny has zero self-awareness, and never had any, so it is ridiculous for anyone to take any of his insults seriously (they will, but that's part of their problem).

• Like 10

On twitter it seems like they actually have Nina BEGGING that pos to take her back?  My God they really loathe Nina fans.  I don't know who it is over there, but Chris and Dan did their last writing while Korte was there and knew she had been promoted.  So...I don't have much hopes of improvement.  Anyway, another skip day for me.  I'm not rewarding people for shitting on me and laughing at me about it.  Keep it. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

LOL at Sonny calling Nina "reckless and petty." Look in the mirror, dude. 

Not to mention, aren't those the qualities he looks for in a wife?  Because Carly's got them with extra to spare and he re-upped with her half a dozen times.

• Like 4
  • Applause 11
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, jqdeco said:

Why has no one told Drew to get some counseling to deal with his rage issues?

Because therapy implies weakness. Or that something is wrong with the person.and since Drew is such s wonderful, perfect man, and a HERO, he has no need for therapy. Just a good afternoon delight with his well-adjusted girlfriend and he’ll be good as new.

also Drew, you didn’t get beaten within an inch of your life because of Nina. You got beaten because you’re too stupid to understand how prison works and you were trying to spy for Sonny. Do you have only yourself to blame. Nina turned you into the SEC. she did not recommend a sentence. Nor did she force you to take the fall for your stupid girlfriend. It also isn’t her fault that you ran into a power hungry judge who sentenced you to hard time instead of a country club.

god, listening to Sonny ramble on about vindictiveness and pettiness was painful. Has he met Carly lately? At least Nina got in one dig about how he never called out Carly for keeping both Nina’s daughters from her but Nina is OMG Teh evil for reporting Carly to the sec.

• Like 6
  • Fire 4
  • Applause 5
25 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

At least Nina got in one dig about how he never called out Carly for keeping both Nina’s daughters from her but Nina is OMG Teh evil for reporting Carly to the sec.

He didn't even give a fig about it* which makes me wonder why he married Nina in the first place. Should've stayed married to SheBeast if he's going to defend or ignore her actions.

* I missed the last 10 minutes of the episode, so I don't know if he said anything about that. I'm just assuming he didn't because like Nina said, nobody wants to acknowledge what Carly did to her.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

@YaddaYadda he didn’t say a word. Just kept yammering about betrayal! And how Nina didn’t care that she almost took Carly away from Donna, Wiley and Amelia. 

Of course he doesn't care that Wiley and Amelia have been taken from Nina. 

The writing on this show is so unbelievably stupid. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
(edited)

If Blaze wants to get her mother to take her seriously on her sexuality, it seems to me living her life openly as a gay woman may make a pretty big difference. As it is, staying in the closet allows her mom to not take her seriously. Of course her mom seems to be in deep denial, so coming out may not be enough, but it may be the first step towards acceptance

And Nina should consider just walking away from Sonny. He doesn’t forgive easily and he’s a mob boss who has a lot of danger around him

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

The Carly/Drew scenes really should've had a laugh track, what with the hilarity of lines like Carly saying she made Crimson better than Nina (in her entire two-week tenure) and how she isn't vengeful. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 8
  • LOL 1

This Eva LaRue stuff today feels different; there’s more depth and texture. Even if they’ve rushed into an outing real quick and I don't particularly have any deep connection to Blaze lol. I think some of the Spixie lines are sharper too. Although did Austin have a history of lying to Maxie? I thought most of their weird-ass relationship was offscreen.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
33 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Although did Austin have a history of lying to Maxie?

There was that whole thing with Mason, and that Austin was patching up mob criminals.

[Maxie] finds out that Austin told Victor about her baby's sonogram and is furious at Austin.

But then she lied to him and used him to cover for Bailey Lu.  I doubt she would have pursued a relationship with him, had it not been for keeping the secret.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, ciarra said:

There was that whole thing with Mason, and that Austin was patching up mob criminals.

Yes, he was a scuzz but I associated that more with his other story with Ava. I just didn't know he had any record of deceiving Maxie.

25 minutes ago, jsbt said:

Yes, he was a scuzz but I associated that more with his other story with Ava. I just didn't know he had any record of deceiving Maxie.

From what I remember, it was just that she (and Spinelli) could tell Austin was keeping secrets from her so she broke up with him because she wasn’t in too deep. The reason she gave was something along the lines of how she ignored a lot of red flags from Peter early on and didn’t want to make the same mistake twice. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, KittyQ said:

So Carly has published her "first and last" Crimson issue and she walks out to go back to "Bobbie's"? Very professional. The magazine doesn't stop when an issue goes out - the staff should already be working on the next one, so it can go out on time, and we haven't seen Carly do anything to get that ramped up.

Apparently, all it takes to put out a magazine issue is to smirk your way into the head office, put your name on the door, and maybe make a phone call or two. At least, that’s all Carly did. I’m sure someone else can take up the slack.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Why is Nina begging sonny to not divorce her? He's a creep.               I guess talking about Nina turns Drew and Carly on 

• Like 7
18 hours ago, Sake614 said:

At least Nina got in one dig about how he never called out Carly for keeping both Nina’s daughters from her but Nina is OMG Teh evil for reporting Carly to the sec.

SHE DID?! yes Nina

17 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

He didn't even give a fig about it* which makes me wonder why he married Nina in the first place. Should've stayed married to SheBeast if he's going to defend or ignore her actions.

honestly now it just feels that he married Nina because everyone (not named Kristina and Dante). hated him and he was lonely - now people don't hate him and Carly is kinda sniffing his way so he can rectify the situation by hating Nina now. 

17 hours ago, Sake614 said:

And how Nina didn’t care that she almost took Carly away from Donna, Wiley and Amelia. 

and this is my #1 issue with everything. because Nina "almost" did that - but Carly did do that. Twice. and unlike Donna who would have seen her mother in what? less than a year (if that). Carly was quite happy to let Nina live the rest of her life not knowing she had family out there.  the fact that people expect Nina to just be okay with this and "Carly meant well, so why you so mad?" pisses me off. 

and if Sonny is bringing up the whole "omg you kept me from my family." the thing is - Nina was pushing him to figure it out on his own. this is soapy and everything but the main thing has always been "you made us think he was dead longer and it hurt the kids." cool. true and Avery and Donna were confused when Sonny came back. but as much as it sucks that Nina kept him secret at least when he returned he had his memory so Avery and Donna didn't have to go through the explanation of "yeah your daddy is alive but he doesn't remember you." (NOT to mention. that the only reason he lost his memory and was presumed dead was because Sonny was playing God (again) and murdered Julian and letting his children grow up without THEIR father in their lives. so like just shut up all the time

• Like 1
  • Applause 11
  • Love 1

Nina having a legitimate beef with Carly has always been handwaved (by the show) as Nina being petty and vindictive. It's so enraging, because Carly has admitted more than once that if Willow hadn't gotten sick, she (Carly) would have been happy to stay silent forever that Nina was her mother. 

I get Carly can never lose, but that she doesn't suffer any serious setbacks ever for her actions is ridiculous. Any problem gets resolved in the same episode it's raised, and as we've discussed before, people fall all over themselves to make sure Carly's life is as untroubled as possible. This is not interesting to watch.

• Like 4
  • Applause 8
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Any problem gets resolved in the same episode it's raised, and as we've discussed before, people fall all over themselves to make sure Carly's life is as untroubled as possible. This is not interesting to watch.

and it's really mind boggling that they think this is okay. I always always say it. AMC was all about Erica's drama, but most times people of Pine Valley were never there for it. People constantly clapped Erica back for her divaness, her "it's all about me and mine" attitude, and Erica lost BIG time. the show freaking ends with the love of her life - the big 25+ year romance the show teased for years - walking away from Erica saying he gives zero poops about her or her feelings.  and the beauty of this is too - there were times, when Erica was with Opal or Myrtle or whomever, like quiet and alone - where Erica would admit "yeah you know. i messed up and I 100 percent shouldn't have done it." there is no justification, or "people should just accept i did this for a good reason." (yeah in public, but just the fact that erica acknowledged her flaws was good enough for me). 

people feel that Carly losing Jason and the hotel and is enough and she's lost and i am like no. it's not nearly. not by half. If anything Willow should like be uber duber pissed but it's a-okay that Carly lied. But Nina? DEVIL WOMAN!

• Like 6
  • Fire 5
  • Love 2

Losing Jason means nothing when everyone knows it’s temporary and the hotel was always a meh loss. She only got half of the already successful hotel because she traded those ELQ  stocks that Lorenzo randomly gave up in the settlement of their short marriage. The “controlling interest” in ELQ that the show forgot about as soon as they mentioned it since Jax was never shown to be involved in the company after that happened and a few years later, somehow Edward had all the stocks and could redistribute them in his will. When she lost it because of her own get rich quick scheme, like 5 people offered to buy her the hotel back and it was only her own pride that kept her from getting it. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 4