Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I’m sure he does but since Sam never liked Valentin or had any sort of familial relationship with him, I doubt she or her kids interacted with Charlotte as a relative either. Sam didn’t even like that Alexis became close to Valentin. It’s clear she only thinks of Charlotte as Rocco’s sister/Dante’s ex stepdaughter and not her relative so I’m not surprised that Danny does as well. They likely never interacted before Dante and Sam got serious. 

Charlotte lived with Sam and Dante for like a month or two. So there would have been plenty interaction between everyone, not to mention that Charlotte lived at the Qs during the Bailey storyline, while Danny and Scout were a fixture at Hotel Monica. Sam and Valentin seemed pretty cordial when Sam dropped off the kids at his place. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, ciarra said:

Clearly my mind has gone because I mistook Danny for Jake.

you're not the only one. When they were trick or treating, I had no idea who Danny was. They could easily pass for brothers! And now that I wrote that, I realized they are brothers: both Jason's sons. So good casting I guess.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Carly getting pissed that Drew will be on probation for six months made me want to dump that vanilla milkshake on her entitled head. 

I laughed at her indignation. Probation isn't the end of the world. He doesn't need to wear an ankle monitor. He's not limited in where he can go. It's not house arrest. Good grief. She really can't just take the win that he's out of Pentonville and be done with it. Ugh. What a Carly.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 6

I’m sure someone commented on this already, but Drew is such an ass. He gets out of prison and he doesn’t plan to see his kid until the NEXT DAY? I think Sam would have been ok with waking Scout up to see her dad. And since he is already planning a date with Snarly the next day, obviously his visit with Scout will be short. More important to get laid then let your kid and rest of family know you have been released. Geez I despise this character.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I laughed at her indignation. Probation isn't the end of the world. He doesn't need to wear an ankle monitor. He's not limited in where he can go. It's not house arrest. Good grief. She really can't just take the win that he's out of Pentonville and be done with it. Ugh. What a Carly.

It's only a true win for a Carly if someone else suffers horribly.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Today's was a surprisingly good episode, although Anna seemed too weepy. Sonny bringing up when he shot Dante made sense

I liked Kevin talking about how broken Charlotte is emotionally.

So were Anna's keys listed on the items in Charlotte's backpack?

I liked Alexis' dilemma about whether she should publish the story or not. Too many decisions like that seem to be on the spur of the moment rather than looking at the complexities behind the incident.

I like Robert supporting Anna's position. I did not like Nina telling Valentin that he shouldn't carry the guilt all by himself. Because he should carry most of it.

I complain about this show a lot but Jordan saying that the should bring in an outside investigator on air right after Days of Our Lives where the police commissioner interrogates his murder suspect sister with no one else in the room, and the DA prosecuting is the man currently in a business fight with her makes GH look brilliant.

CM/Drew is sooo much better in scenes with Sam than with Carly. Carly just seems to draw all the brain cells out of her men.

Drew asking if Danny was seeing a therapist -- anyone close to Sonny should have a therapist on retainer long ago.

Drew to Scout:  "I thought about you every single day."  Unspoken: when I wan'ts thinking about Carly so maybe 4 minutes a day.

I don't care about Curtis and his emo stuff. I DON'T CARE.

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Same. You can choose not to whine and wallow, Curtis. It's not a big secret.

Drew: "Now that I'm back, there's so much I need to make up for." Unspoken: "But Carly will always be my top priority, so everyone and everything else will have to wait until I take care of her." 

Anna shot the wrong Cassadine.

Dante's administrative leave didn't last long. I love how it's mentioned in passing that he's back on the PCPD.

• Like 2
On 10/25/2023 at 6:13 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

Nina really should just confess to her non-crime and whatever happens happens.  Living under Michael's thumb will be torturous.

Right? You'd think after putting up with Michael's hypocrisy for so long, Nina would just say "Screw it! I'll tell you what I did myself. Remember, an 'investigation' won't go anywhere if there's nothing to find. And there was something to find, so guess what - Drew and Carly are guilty."

• Like 5
  • Applause 6
57 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

So were Anna's keys listed on the items in Charlotte's backpack?

I was surprised when Dante said the red spray paint was in there.  Charlotte honey, not very Cassadine of you to carry around the signs of previous crimes.  I mean, the last time I was menacing my father's girlfriend and I painted a mean message on her door before torching her house, I for sure hid the can of paint that I used.  Amateur amirite?!

59 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I complain about this show a lot but Jordan saying that the should bring in an outside investigator

I didn't understnad why they needed an outside investigator.  Is it not an open and shut case?  Charlotte broke into the apartment.  Anna thought there was an intruder with a weapon and fired.  Seems pretty open and shut.  

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

It seemed to be shoehorning that into this epsiode which was about the shooting but from different perspectives.  I write the recaps for the DC website and I sat there wondering where within the column was I supposed to put the Curtis stuff.  

• Like 6

It wasn't a bad episode, I'm just not sure what Curtis was doing in it. He felt very much out of place, and if his presence and the positive attitude of his scene partner was supposed to alleviated some of the heaviness with Charlotte being shot and the sort of ripple effect of that, then it didn't work. I have come to believe that the best Curtis is a dead Curtis, just like the best Carly is a dead Carly.

As for the rest, Valentin feeling the guilt for not confronting Charlotte right away for what she's done, going straight to Anna's because he was convinced that she was there, yeah, dude, you should put on your papa pants and behave like a father, not tip toe around the issue. 

Kevin's assessment of Charlotte being broken is really not that far fetched or far off. But her acting out has been an ongoing thing since she showed up on our screen and all attempts at parenting her that Lulu tried were always met with a barrage of shit spewing from Valentin and Nina about the perfection that is Charlotte. 

I thought it was bizarre that Anna ended up at Sonny's place for the night. I also thought back on Nina's insecurities over Anna and Valentin's interactions.

If Alexis wants to have an article about Charlotte being shot, I hope she doesn't write that herself.

A+ to Jordan for seeing the conflict of interest if Mac, Dante and Robert were to handle anything regarding her case.

Still don't give a rat's ass about Drew. I just hate his ass too damn much.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

🙄 Sonny tries to COMFORT Anna with the story about how he shot Dante point blank cuz he thought he was just some random undercover police office he was trying to kill. But oopsy, it was his son, and he felt pretty darn bad about that, so he prayed to God, who gave him the thumbs up to forgive himself. And Anna's just all, "yeah, I heard about that, how awful for you." 

Seriously, the moral compass of this show points straight to hell.  

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

Sonny trying to equate the guilt he felt over shooting Dante with how Anna felt about charlotte made me roll my eyes soooo hard. The only reason he felt remorse was a Olivia screaming that he shot his son. Until that moment, he was perfectly happy to let Dante bleed out on the floor. And Dante wasnt a child.

at least Kevin understands that Charlotte is broken emotionally and needs a great deal of help. Laura and Valentin are too busy wringing their hands and burying their heads in the sand over charlotte’s behavior and neither one of them is taking responsibility for their own parts. If just ONE of them had gone to the police or at least confronted Charlotte directly, maybe this wouldn’t have happened. And why didn’t Valentin question why she needed a backpack to go trick or treating?

curtis, please shut up. Really, just SHUT UP!

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Anna living at Sonny's is weird. She couldn't go Robert, hotel, Felicia? Also Sonny letting her stay without telling and waking up Nina. I wanted to see Nina reaction to Anna's news. 

Sonny tells Anna he shot Dante the cop, point blank. Then she says how hard that must have been for him?  For him? What have they done to Anna? 

Alexis should have gone to the hospital instead of debating writing a story with Gregory. Look how Nina showed up. 

Are we supposed to believe Drew cares about Scout.  So fake his promise to be at every match she has.  Scout should be wary of Drew.  

Suddenly Dante's not on leave anymore?

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

So Robert helps Anna lug that huge steamer trunk to her new place, and they have to wait for the super. to let them in because Anna can't find her keys.  The keys that she's had for, what, one day?   And Robert doesn't think this is worth mentioning to fellow investigators? 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
30 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Suddenly Dante's not on leave anymore?

Even odds that one of the actors remembered he was on leave and the line was added at the last minute.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

If just ONE of them had gone to the police or at least confronted Charlotte directly, maybe this wouldn’t have happened. And why didn’t Valentin question why she needed a backpack to go trick or treating?

Yep, they decided to go slowly, an idiotic decision as they knew that Charlotte had already trashed Anna's hotel room.

The backpack makes sense to me, Charlotte said that she brought an extra sweater and maybe they thought that Charlotte  was being very optimistic about how much candy she was going to get.

40 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Alexis should have gone to the hospital instead of debating writing a story with Gregory. Look how Nina showed up.

Nina was Charlotte's stepmother and much closer to her than Alexis was. Plus she knew about Charlotte spiraling out of control and helped Valentin by deleting the security tape.

If any of the Davis women should have been at the hospital, it's Sam who had Charlotte living with her for a few months. It's a school day too so no excuses about having to take care  of the kids.

• Like 3

Add me to the list of those that thought it was weird Anna was staying at Sonny’s. And even weirder that Nina had no idea Anna was even there, never mind why??  Nina is super close to Charlotte, Sonny should have told her immediately.

I’ve been on pretty good terms with Sonny for some time now but this episode just brought back a lot of Sonny hate.  Oh yeah, Sonny shot his own son….how horrible for SONNY.  I mean come on!  I actually like Sonny and Dante’s relationship now but that was all kinds of fucked up and I hate how it’s just glossed over.  And of course Sonny tells Anna she shouldn’t feel guilty because it’s not her fault.  I mean I get it, she thought there was an intruder but still she pulled the trigger so it’s at least somewhat her fault.

Scout and Danny can’t act worth a damn but darn they are both really good looking kids.  They  also look like they could be related so good job casting that part of it.

Kevin is such a great character and JL is such a great actor.  He totally nailed Charlotte and her brokenness.  He’s such a steady, calming presence.  I’m glad we’ve been seeing a bit more of him, but still not enough!

I didn’t mind the Curtis scenes, especially since it highlighted a real person living with a disability but yeah, like others said it was shoehorned in and didn’t seem to belong in the episode.  Like they realized they were short and just added in those scenes haphazardly.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I had the same reaction about Anna being at sonnys. Then I realized can't go to Roberts. He's at the pcpd. It wouldn't look good to go to Felicia because of mac. I'm sure they did not put this much thought into it. For some reason they are pushing the sonny Anna relationship. Is that who sonny will turn to when ninas stuff hits the fan. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ciarra said:

So Robert helps Anna lug that huge steamer trunk to her new place, and they have to wait for the super. to let them in because Anna can't find her keys.  The keys that she's had for, what, one day?   And Robert doesn't think this is worth mentioning to fellow investigators? 

Yes, not only do we have permanently weepy Anna, we apparently have brainless Anna. She had the keys in her hand at Valentin's, suddenly hours later they mysteriously have vanished from her possession, and she just says, " I don't know where they went." You wouldn't think it would be that hard to remember and mention when she had them last, but also the unusual key chain ornament on them, which Charlotte showed to the boy. I agree that Valentin could have stopped this at the beginning, and hate that he is blaming Anna for it. I don't know about holding either Kevin or Laura responsible, all they know is what they were told, and if they had confronted Charlotte, she would have denied everything. I am glad Kevin at least sees Charlotte's reality instead of a "poor innocent baby."

Disliked all of Curtis' stuff. Didn't belong in.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

If any of the Davis women should have been at the hospital, it's Sam who had Charlotte living with her for a few months.

Sam and Valentine aren't close but he and Alexis are. Nina was there also to be there for him while Charlotte in surgery, Alexis should have been the same being there for Valentine. 

• Like 3

It does look like they may very well be setting up a Sonny/Anna fling while Nina lands in Valentine's bed after the reveal, doesn't it?  I have no problem with Nina and Valentine finding comfort with each other, but Anna and Sonny?  I don't think that's a good idea.  

• Like 2

yeah Anna and Sonny are a hard 'no' from me. I like Valentin and Nina, but I've also really grown to like her with Sonny. Except for yesterday. When Nina woke up and I realized she had no idea what happened, I nearly lost it. She was Charlotte's stepmother for months/years and still considers Charlotte family. WHy would Sonny not immediately wake her when he found out? Surely she'd have rushed to the hospital to be close to Charlotte. I was equally disappointed that we didn't get to see her reaction when Anna told her the news. But I guess it was more important to shoehorn Curtis into the episode.🙄

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, CeChase said:

It does look like they may very well be setting up a Sonny/Anna fling while Nina lands in Valentine's bed after the reveal, doesn't it?  I have no problem with Nina and Valentine finding comfort with each other, but Anna and Sonny?  I don't think that's a good idea.  

IA. Anna/Sonny have been regularly sharing scenes for a few months now and I don’t see any romantic chemistry between them but I don’t think that’s where they’re going. I think Sonny just needed a new “friend” with Jason dead and Dex is way too young to fulfill the best friend role. Pretending like Anna and Sonny have been super close all this time was stupid though when we’ve never seen it and it makes Anna look like a hypocrite. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 4
6 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

makes Anna look like a hypocrite. 

not to mention weak. All of a sudden, Anna Devane Scorpio, superspy, needs a bodyguard from Sonny Corinthos? Because heaven forbid a woman be able to take care of herself. Especially one who spent most of her adult life in dangerous undercover operations.

• Like 8

I'm about a week behind in episodes, so I just saw where TJ recognized Mason as his kidnapper and went to his mom to see about taking legal steps. My thought was, isn't TJ's wife/domestic partner a lawyer? Shouldn't he have talked to Molly about this? Get feedback from someone who actually works in the district attorney's office? At the minimum, sharing his trauma with the person he loves and lives with? The logic of some of these characters escapes me.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

I like Valentin and Nina, but I've also really grown to like her with Sonny.

I was in and out of Guiding Light in the Annie Dutton years, but I've never seen Cynthia Watros not have chemistry with a love interest on any show. It's one of her strengths. She even sold the pairing of Libby and Hurley on Lost, despite what most sighted people would have judged as a big gap of conventional attractiveness.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

She even sold the pairing of Libby and Hurley on Lost, despite what most sighted people would have judged as a big gap of conventional attractiveness.

Meh. That's the first time I'd seen her and actively despised both the character and the pairing. I also didn't think much of her acting ability so was less than thrilled to hear she'd been recast as Nina. It took me a while to warm up to her on GH, but in the last couple of years she's made the character her own. Now I think she's a terrific actress, although I sometimes want to punch the character in the face, or at least shake some sense into her, especially vis a vis the big sekrit. 

• Like 1

Are they going to weasel out of Charlotte burning down the house, since Anna found those Eureka! papers in her steamer trunk?   Charlotte did the door and hotel graffiti, but stalker #2 did the shooting and the arson?

• Useful 1
55 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Are they going to weasel out of Charlotte burning down the house, since Anna found those Eureka! papers in her steamer trunk?   Charlotte did the door and hotel graffiti, but stalker #2 did the shooting and the arson?

I never thought Charlotte burned down the house. I suppose it could be a red herring, but we clearly saw a larger (thought to be a man's) shoe and leg. Charlotte may be a lot of things, but she's still a kid. So far everything we know she's done to Anna has been child's mischief gone terribly wrong. Spray painting 'murderer' on Anna's door? Writing a message in lipstick on her mirror and trashing her clothes? Not sure what her plan was at the apartment, but she didn't have any accelerant or weapons with her.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

I never thought Charlotte burned down the house. I suppose it could be a red herring, but we clearly saw a larger (thought to be a man's) shoe and leg. Charlotte may be a lot of things, but she's still a kid. So far everything we know she's done to Anna has been child's mischief gone terribly wrong. Spray painting 'murderer' on Anna's door? Writing a message in lipstick on her mirror and trashing her clothes? Not sure what her plan was at the apartment, but she didn't have any accelerant or weapons with her.

I've never been sure on who burned the house, since as you said, we did see an adult sized shoe, and no one knows who did the shooting, but so far it seems like Charlotte has only done kid sized harm. We don't know what she intended to do at Maxie's house or what she was doing in the trunk. It just seems too precious, for lack of a better word, that an unnamed adult and Charlotte are terrorizing Anna at the very same time. What if she and the unnamed adult are working together, and the person is using her?  That would be one reason why she was looking at papers in the trunk, instead of spray painting the walls. I don't think any professional person would shoot into a crowd, for one, and not hit who they were aiming for, secondly.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't think the shooter meant to hit anyone; it was supposed to be a warning to Anna that she isn't safe anywhere, even in public. Curtis blundered into the line of fire.

We don't know for sure that it was meant for Anna, since Sonny was there too.

• Useful 1
20 minutes ago, susannah said:

We don't know for sure that it was meant for Anna, since Sonny was there too.

And maybe the shooter actually hit his target in Curtis. Maybe  Cyrus ordered the hit.

• Applause 2

Drew has become such scum. "One of the things that kept me going in Pentonville, sometimes the only thing, is knowing that you were out there fighting for me."  Sorry Scout, Daddy has left you behind and now relies on Carly.

Drew did redeem himself somewhat when he told Michael to drop finding out who told the SEC. Carly won't though.

And then there's Michael: "Alexis played her part but my mom, she got the leverage over Judge Kim."

Carly: "Someone turned us in to the SEC. I want to know who and why."  I can tell you why Carly, because you and your children and acolytes are horrible people.

I am in the minority that I didn't mind the Eddie amnesia plot but today completely lost me. What a mess of psychobabble.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Riiiight, someone from ESPN will want to work at two-bit Aurora Media—as a step up. Keep talking, Michael. And for all of his whining about the insider trading, business doesn't seem to have suffered at all.

Drew did redeem himself somewhat when he told Michael to drop finding out who told the SEC. Carly won't though.

Look at all she's lost! Of course she has to know who turned her in. /s

It makes sense that Bobbie would help Tracy close out Luke's estate, but it's also kind of weird given we know JZ isn't around anymore. Is Bobbie going to die in Amsterdam?

What a mess of psychobabble.

I sort of got it, but that business down at the boathouse was ridiculous.

• Like 4

So a surfeit of Carlys today, then? I think I'll take a pass on this. 

Drew can miss me with his Carly worship/praise. He can also just die. I cannot believe how I went from loving the character to wanting a voodoo doll of him that I can turn into a pin cushion. 

Job well done, writers! Give yourself a pat on the back for this horrendous shit show of a character and thanks for nothing.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 2

Charlotte should have turned the light on when breaking into Anna's apartment.  I know that's not hte usual procedure, but if Anna came home, it would be easier to explain waiting for her with the lights on then sneaking around in the dark. She could have even said she found her keys and she was returning them. Of course her plan, whatever itwas, required Anna to be not home, and there was every possibility tha she would have been, so I don't know why she was so jazzed about sneaking away in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/7/2023 at 4:00 PM, perkie1968 said:

I didn't understnad why they needed an outside investigator.  Is it not an open and shut case?  Charlotte broke into the apartment.  Anna thought there was an intruder with a weapon and fired.  Seems pretty open and shut.  

Nothing is open and shut when it comes to the shooting of an unarmed minor, trespassing or not.  And, yeah, while it's a bad look that everyone is close to Anna, surely there is another detective who is not the victim's stepfather.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1