Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I read an article earlier today about viewers complaining about the terrible writing ( since the strike) on GH and Y&R.

I wonder who those people are. For myself, other than Molly being an awful person and Sprina losing their chemistry (which as @perkie1968 said may be due to NAC leaving), I think the writing has improved. What I hate now (e.g. entitled Curtis and Portia, the Carlys) was there before the strike, the current writers are taking their cues from Frank and the staff writers.

• Like 11
6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Carly prattling on about how the Kelly's customers are "the salt of the earth"? Everyone goes to Kelly's, you ding-dong. You can't get a decent BLT at the MetroCourt! That comment is also grossly condescending, not that I'm surprised. 

Kelly's has been a PC staple for over 40 years--long before Ruby owned it, and yes, everyone goes there and always has.  Carly acting like her magical aura has somehow brought 'the poors' out is so ridiculous.  Also, I guess that large ELQ order the other day was for the 'salt of the earth' employees.  Get bent, Caroline.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

show refuses to let the men show any sort of sexual problems.

I think they would, theoretically...but definitely not with Curtis, because he and Donnell are on the favored/protected list. The present kind of narcissistic "suffering" is as bad as it will get for Curtis. 

A sexual problem would be writing they'd only give a male character who's in the AJ Quartermaine Memorial Wing of Losers. (To enter that wing, you have to walk around a really fat statue.) They'd give that to the kind of male character who comes out as the loser in romantic triangles and gets punched out when there's a fight. A Chase impotence story wouldn't shock me a bit. Especially if it were part of the groundwork for turning him into a jerk to drive his love interest into the arms of some guy they like more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So, Lucy and Flea went to Pine Valley July 17th.  And today Lucy decides to throw a drink in Martin's face? 

Talk about delayed reaction.

Anna asked Valentin for another glass of wine before she went off to the ladies room.  He returns, no wine?

18 hours ago, statsgirl said:

On the other hand, Carly trying to get Diane to fiddle with the legal system for Drew without Drew knowing about it is very Carly.

'to fiddle' = disregard the law.  She has no morals or concern about civics.  She has no medical issues. Carly has never shown an iota of humility - other than squeezing out a tear. She has no financial issues.  She has 5 million in her savings account and she can even hit up her daughter for money.  Her current boyfriend is sitting in a cell behind bars for her actions.  Her five-time ex is trafficking in military grade weapons and who knows what other crimes Sonny is involved with.  The writing has to be skewed for other characters because of Sonny/Carly (e.g., Dante, Anna, Jordan, Chase and Scorpios).  At least both Sonny and Carly scenes are currently on different days as Sonny (at the very least) doesn't pretend that he isn't a felon.

I miss Scottie (and Liesl). 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

He'll be insufferable, as always. What bothers me is the lack of parity in these kinds of issues. Of course, I'm pretty sure whatever problems he has will be quickly resolved, even before he starts to walk again, because the show refuses to let the men show any sort of sexual problems.

Curtis unable to perform would be the least of his issues with his paralysis, but this is GH, so I wouldn't expect them to dive deep into actually showing the many physical struggles he is enduring besides the lack of ability to walk. I suspend disbelief daily, especially after seeing how Willow went through chemo/radiation pretty much unaffected. 

• Love 2

LW’s fake laugh is obnoxious and I’m never sure what she’s going for when she does that. Also, are they being serious with Carly handing food wearing blazers, no apron and her hair down? At least they had Joss looking the part of someone working at Kelly’s the other day. 

How is Lucy already in such dire financial straits that she wouldn’t be able to pay a lawyer if they lose the case? It wasn’t that long ago that they made it sound like all of the Deception owners made out like bandits with the IPO launch. Lucy didn’t cash out any of her shares? And why didn’t she call Scott to help if Martin was too busy? 

Only on this show are we supposed to believe a judge that throws the hammer at white collar criminals is the worst. If this was real life, someone like Drew facing a serious penalty for his crime would be celebrated because guys like him always skate by way of their family influence and expensive lawyers.

The only decent end I would enjoy for Sasha’s SL is for her to realize what’s going on and to save herself. Having Cody save her while she continues to walk around being the most naive idiot on the planet isn’t it. She had no reason to trust a known money hungry grifter as much as she did. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Trina's behaviour over Curtis is completely cringe-worthy.

Curtis tell Portia that he can't function sexually. I blame @dubbel zout. Portia of course says that she'll stay with him.

Carly and Michael recapping Drew/Austin/Sonny is an hour that I will never get back. Drew/Cyrus was saved only by JK.

Michael: "Dex is on it. So am I."  Me: then Sonny is really in trouble because neither of you are anywhere near capable.

Gladys at last tells Nina why she needs the money for the doctor holding Sasha prisoner. I like these writers.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

How is Lucy already in such dire financial straits that she wouldn’t be able to pay a lawyer if they lose the case?

I think the immediate problem is that the Deception accounts are frozen. Lucy should have a cash account somewhere, but plot point. 

Just now, statsgirl said:

Curtis tell Portia that he can't function sexually. I blame @dubbel zout. Portia of course says that she'll stay with him.

Ha!

• LOL 1
18 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

The only decent end I would enjoy for Sasha’s SL is for her to realize what’s going on and to save herself. Having Cody save her while she continues to walk around being the most naive idiot on the planet isn’t it. She had no reason to trust a known money hungry grifter as much as she did. 

Would be hilarious if Sasha was released just as he was committed. I doubt it, though. He will save Sasha from Dr. Evil or die trying. I'm okay with him dying.

14 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Trina's behaviour over Curtis is completely cringe-worthy.

Yes, it was. It was unbearably bad with the whole dad this and dad that. Curtis is an honorary Carly, he receives things he doesn't deserve.

16 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

She can stay with him and be miserable with him. I'm sure she can find a sex toy that's hella better than Curtis. At least it won't bitch, moan, complain, or belittle her.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

And why didn’t she call Scott to help if Martin was too busy? 

She apparently did but he didn't show up so Maxie called Elise.  I guess we should just be happy that they mentioned Scott.  

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

The only decent scene was Gladys finally coming clean to Nina.

I'm legit surprised that happened. I liked that whole sequence: Gladys admits she's in debt; Nina is disgusted G is using Sasha's money to pay off her debts and so refuses to help; Evil Shrink puts the screws into G; G decides it's better to tell Nina everything and hope Nina comes through.

What I don't understand is why Gladys hasn't ever anonymously called the PCPD/medical board/someone in authority to report Evil Shrink. Maybe that's something Nina will do soon.

If anyone has to save Sasha, I'd rather it be Nina, but Cody's dumb plan seems to be in motion, so of course he'll be the one. I'd laugh so hard if Nina gets Sasha out of Ferncliffe the day after Cody gets himself committed.

ETA: And Cody is stuck inside Ferncliffe for however long Sam had him committed!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

If anyone has to save Sasha, I'd rather it be Nina

Same, so at least she'd have one damned check in the plus column when the stupid whistleblower shit gets revealed.

Other than that, I was incredibly bored today. 

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Why is Gladys here still. The disgusting doctor and her need to be locked up.  Loved Nina not buying anything Gladys was trying to spin. 

Quite surprised she told the gambling debt part. Go Nina for screaming at her to get out. This story is appalling and not worth anything unless Gladys dies.  

The Trina dad line seemed kinda forced and her so pushing the house changes. 

Why does Carly and Michael need to be involved in Austin/Ava? Keep them out. 

• Like 8

I love how Carly has to preach to everyone that walks in about how running Kelly's is the most fulfilling and prestigious job ever cuz the establishment is so iconic and historical, and, unlike the Metro Court, only the most friendly, honorable people eat there. I can't imagine what it would be like to have an ego as big as Carly's and be that self-deluded about the greatness of my every move. ... ...it'd probably be great! 🤣 I mean, you wouldn't have any friends, of course. 

• LOL 8
On 8/29/2023 at 8:58 PM, Peppermint Patty said:

Did Brick say Betty quit and fled to Mexico? 

Yes.  She's in Mexico, Ava confirmed today that she quit.

Edited by ciarra
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, ffwbe said:

How is Lucy already in such dire financial straits that she wouldn’t be able to pay a lawyer if they lose the case? It wasn’t that long ago that they made it sound like all of the Deception owners made out like bandits with the IPO launch. Lucy didn’t cash out any of her shares? And why didn’t she call Scott to help if Martin was too busy? 

Why isn't she getting Valentin involved as he is the other owner of Deception and most likely has more liquid cash on hand?

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Artsda said:

The Trina dad line seemed kinda forced and her so pushing the house changes. 

It was supposed to kind of forced: According to "the literature," when you welcome home someone in a wheelchair, you're supposed to be positive and happy. Trina later admitted to Portia she thought she probably overdid it.

12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

only the most friendly, honorable people eat there.

Now I want armed robbers to storm Kelly's, pistol-whip Carly, and take all of the BLT ingredients.

• LOL 8
On 8/28/2023 at 3:42 PM, dubbel zout said:

They are both so awful. Carly prattling on about how the Kelly's customers are "the salt of the earth"? Everyone goes to Kelly's, you ding-dong. You can't get a decent BLT at the MetroCourt! That comment is also grossly condescending, not that I'm surprised. 

Salt of the earth, regular blue collar who go have BLTs after she spent years overcharging for rooms and a glass of water.

You don't have $5 million in saving just because.

The salt of the earth wouldn't be allowed in the MetroCourt's dining room without a jacket on.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

Carly’s speech about the Kelly’s clientele came off condescending and like was trying to convince herself owning that Kelly’s is better than the MC. Lol she’s the last person I’d see as warm and friendly towards regular people but she’s probably bitter that she couldn’t magically turn Kelly’s into some high end hotspot like she originally wanted. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

There is a huge hole in the Deceptor story as to whether Tracy thinks that she and her mysterious partner really do own the Deceptor or whether she adapted the files that Brook Lynn stole. If it's the latter, as soon as the trial starts, all Brook Lynn needs to do is admit that she stole the files and the people at Deception who worked on the development testify that this is the work that they themselves did. and show their interim data. Court case dropped and Tracy fined for malicious iuse of the court. It's so stupid.

Is Volotino's where Sonny's office is an actual restaurant? How come we never see anyone eating there other than Sonny's family and workers?

Nina is stupid to just give Gladys the money without doing anything to get the doctor. Why doesn't Dante send Gladys in with a wire, or someone undercover to pay off Montague? Gladys will be in trouble but Montague will be in more.

LOL at the books on the bookshelf behind the psychiatrist interviewing Cody and Sam. My Long Trip Home, Sue Grafton's Q is for Quarry, Joe Blair By the Iowa Sea, is this a medical office or the fiction shelf in a library?

But generally that was a pretty good interview for a TV show. (definitively better than what's on Chicago Med) What Cody was describing as "suicidal impulses" reminded me of Joseph Agassiz's book On Paranoia. He talks about how everyone has these thoughts but the difference is whether you act on them.

21 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

ETA: And Cody is stuck inside Ferncliffe for however long Sam had him committed!

In real life, it's not Sam's decision. The psychiatrist would commit Cody to a 72 hour evaluation at GH where he works, not at the hospital for the criminally insane where Sasha is.

• Like 5

All the optimism I had yesterday with Gladys talking to Nina, died today. I can’t believe Nina trusts her to handle this. It just looks like another thing Sonny won’t forgive.

As much as I enjoy Anna/Dante/Robert and Tracy/Finn convos, I can’t with the psychiatrist from hell threatening Sasha and will go back to skipping the show for a bit.

Sigh.

• Hugs 4
  • Applause 1
30 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

There is a huge hole in the Deceptor story as to whether Tracy thinks that she and her mysterious partner really do own the Deceptor or whether she adapted the files that Brook Lynn stole. If it's the latter, as soon as the trial starts, all Brook Lynn needs to do is admit that she stole the files and the people at Deception who worked on the development testify that this is the work that they themselves did. and show their interim data. Court case dropped and Tracy fined for malicious iuse of the court. It's so stupid.

I think it's possibly both. I doubt Tracy would do something that could potentially publically humiliate her or the family. She cares too much about the family name and how it looks.

She would not openly sue without merit. Not even with the judge in her pocket. 

But it is interesting she needed Brook's help. Unless she just wanted to be sure it was their blueprint first ?

I think the"idea" was someone else's- Tracy or her partner's. Martin stole the idea. But, he could have stole the blueprint, too. 

I do think the idea itself was at least stolen.

Tracy may be bored, but again, I doubt she'd put all this energy into this just out of boredom.

Lynn Herring is a two note actress and Lucy grates my nerves.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2

The dress Selina Wu was wearing was not for her at all. This dress or a very similar one was all the rage a few years ago and I could have sworn Maxie wore it.

The episode was ok. I wish Sam's coffee had spilled on Dr. Evil's face instead of his jacket. This quack is going to kill Sasha. Evil mofo.

Nina should straight up go to Sonny. Gladys has done enough damage to last her a lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5

Doesn't Lucy own like 1% of ELQ stock and isn't she often the pivotal vote when things go down? I'm not sure I'd push her around too much if I were Tracy.

Seeing Cody today reminded me of Spinelli and his illegal algorithm.  Did that ever get resolved, or did it disappear into the winds of time?

This is not an invitation to bring that storyline back, Show, because, please, no.

2 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Edited by Fellaway
Periods aren't commas.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

LOL at the books on the bookshelf behind the psychiatrist interviewing Cody and Sam. My Long Trip Home, Sue Grafton's Q is for Query, Joe Blair By the Iowa Sea, is this a medical office or the fiction shelf in a library?

I noticed the books too, and as a resident of the Hawkeye state, I am ashamed that I had never even heard of Joe Blair.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IWantCandy71 said:

She would not openly sue without merit. Not even with the judge in her pocket. 

But it is interesting she needed Brook's help. Unless she just wanted to be sure it was their blueprint first ?

I'm hoping that it was just to confirm that it was the same thing so that she could go ahead with her suit.*  But unless the other company had patented it, how can Tracy prove that two people didn't have the same idea one after the other? Especially since there should be progress notes on the development of the product.

*(But with this show, I'm expecting the very stupid idea that Tracy stole the information just so that she could sue Lucy.)

18 minutes ago, Pristine said:

I noticed the books too, and as a resident of the Hawkeye state, I am ashamed that I had never even heard of Joe Blair.

I had never heard of him before either but he sounds like an interesting guy.

• Like 3

Ferncliffe is for the criminally insane. Cody is lacking the criminal part, at least as far this is goes.

Of course Evil Shrink gets flirty with Sam. *rme*

Sonny is such a tool to Ms. Wu, not that that's surprising. But at least she's not afraid of him.

"Sonny has a very, very persuasive man." I hope Nina didn't mean Dex.

I like that Maxie realized the Deception leak was due to Brook Lynn. I was wondering how long they'd drag that plot point out.

Gladys believing that Evil Shrink will let Sasha go after getting one payment is ridiculous. Gladys is not that naive.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought she said Sonny IS a very, very persuasive man.  Because, you know, when he does that whisper talk, people listen! RME

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm hoping that it was just to confirm that it was the same thing so that she could go ahead with her suit.*  But unless the other company had patented it, how can Tracy prove that two people didn't have the same idea one after the other? Especially since there should be progress notes on the development of the product.

*(But with this show, I'm expecting the very stupid idea that Tracy stole the information just so that she could sue Lucy.)

I had never heard of him before either but he sounds like an interesting guy.

I am not sure the theft of  an idea can ever be 100% proven or disproven.

I forsee Tracy and her partner losing because the judge in the end will go with who produced it first, or possibly forcing  Deception to give Tracy and her group *half* the profits. So, a compromise.

It's like King Soloman-cut the baby in half. 

I don't get the point of it, really. I'd rather see Tracy drive Gregory around to do a bucket list. I think she'd enjoy that. I hate business/corporate SL's.

It's why I always hated watching Y&R cause it was like Jabot this Jabot that blah blah" meanwhile I'm looking for the spork in my Chinese food to gouge my eye out with.

Like paint drying . I hate it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

When Tracy was looking to hire Diane (and whatever became of that? Diane didn’t turn her down, she said she’d think about it), Diane said that there would be years of R&D for a product like the Deceptor. And yet Lucky came up with the idea and launched it in just a few months. That raised red flags with Diane and led her to believeTracy’s claims might have merit. So I’m inclined to believe that Martin casually mentioned the product and Lucy ran with it. Or he was trying to get back at ex wife #3 but that would put his   50k/month in jeopardy so I don’t see him doing that. That’s wh every time Lucy tries to give him credit, he he deflects.

• Useful 1
On 8/28/2023 at 6:59 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

Kelly's has been a PC staple for over 40 years--long before Ruby owned it, and yes, everyone goes there and always has.  Carly acting like her magical aura has somehow brought 'the poors' out is so ridiculous.  Also, I guess that large ELQ order the other day was for the 'salt of the earth' employees.  Get bent, Caroline.

Right - back when it was run by people who were actually named "Kelly". 

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:
58 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought she said Sonny IS a very, very persuasive man.  Because, you know, when he does that whisper talk, people listen! RME

That is true...

I realize daytime isn't exactly at the point where Portia can say, "Well, I can still sit on your face," but this whole lame thing of the newly-disabled man lamenting that he can't satisfy his wife in the bedroom has been around in soaps forever! If they're going to have a "candid" conversation, I wish they would Go There. 

As someone upthread alluded to, IRL Curtis' more immediate challenges impacting his dignity and manhood would be centered on things like bathroom stuff, tending wounds, clumsiness in the chair, and just in general getting more frail in his lower body.  

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Now I want armed robbers to storm Kelly's, pistol-whip Carly, and take all of the BLT ingredients.

Heather Webber is still alive, still holding a grudge, and is as slippery as Houdini. The storyline is RIGHT THERE so I'm doing everything I can to manifest Heather taking out all the Carlys. I'll settle for one Carly. 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Lucy seems cagy about this product that something else is going on here.

I thought it was because Martin came up with the idea during pillow talk but forbid Lucy to give him credit -- probably because he stole it from the person who is Tracy's partner. (The third wife?) 

It all seems so stupid, because this device that is supposedly so unique and complex that it can't be replicated without stealing hundreds of pages of schematics is ALSO so simple that it could be dreamed up by one to two people with no experience making gizmos whatsoever? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I watched GH back in the 80s, when Holly, Robert, Anna, Luke and Laura, Sean and Tiffany, all the gang were on there, and loved Nancy Lee Grahn on Santa Barbara, but not since then. I had heard that Emma Samms was coming back and I was happy to be able to see her again in the episodes where she was evading Victor and rescuing her son. I have continued to watch and want to thank all posters here for filling in some of the history of the characters!

In regard to current characters, I am with all those who really really dislike Gladys and Evil Doctor, and I would be okay with Selena, one scary lady, taking Gladys out for nonpayment of debt, at any time! It is horrible what they are doing to Sasha. I also dislike Willow, Michael, Lucy, Joss and I forget her boyfriend's name, Molly. I think Calvin needs to just stop feeling sorry for himself. Tired of listening to him yowl! I think Jane Elliott rocks and looks fabulous. I like prison Cyrus, and he looks sharp. At the risk of being permanently shunned, I will say that i really like Carly ONLY because I don't know all of the history, and I like Laura Wright! Thanks again for all the info I get from the posts.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

It all seems so stupid, because this device that is supposedly so unique and complex that it can't be replicated without stealing hundreds of pages of schematics is ALSO so simple that it could be dreamed up by one to two people with no experience making gizmos whatsoever? 

Actually, it happens more than one would think:  it's called multiple discovery.

FWIW:  https://qz.com/emails/quartz-obsession/1482596/simultaneous-invention

But I'm sure that's not where this story is going. 

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Explain it to me like I'm Sonny. 

I thought Tracy had Brooke steal the schematics so that Tracy could duplicate them and somehow claim they were hers to begin with?

I doubt this was the original SL. The scab writers either probably changed it or the writers hadn’t figured out the plan yet. I’m inclined to believe the same thing about Cyrus being Mason and Austin’s mystery boss since he was supposed to be based in the west coast prior to targeting Sonny.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
15 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Explain it to me like I'm Sonny. 

I thought Tracy had Brooke steal the schematics so that Tracy could duplicate them and somehow claim they were hers to begin with?

My memory of it is that Tracy wanted confirmation is was stolen. She seemed to genuinely believe that Lucy's device was the ripoff.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

My memory of it is that Tracy wanted confirmation is was stolen. She seemed to genuinely believe that Lucy's device was the ripoff.

That's what she said to Diane, yes. 

• Like 1

Is there some reason they are unable to wash the walls at Ferncliff?! All that filth makes the place look like some decrepit Soviet insane asylum from the 1800's! A while back, Sonny mentioned he is a benefactor of both Ferncliff and Shadybrook. Can he not get Sasha a room upgrade?!   

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3