Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, lala2 said:

You know what . . .  I never thought about it but you are right. Franco also calls her "Elizabeth." Does anyone on the show call her "Liz?" Wow! 

Nikolas calls her Liz. At least he used to. It remains to be seen whether NuNik follows suit.

When she first came on the show, pretty much everyone else called her Liz as well. I seem to remember her declaring, at some point, that she wanted people to start calling her Elizabeth, as a way to embrace her adulthood or something. I don’t remember the details.  But Nikolas kept using the nickname, which I always found kind of endearing, although It’s actually kind of rude if you think about it.

• Love 1

For as long as I've watched the show everyone has always called her Elizabeth. I know Nikolas has called her Liz a lot though. I thought people like us just mostly referred to her as Liz. And it is easier to type. Lol. But I like the name Elizabeth, I don't see anything wrong with it. 

Going back to Chase calling Nelle "Janelle", that's always annoyed me. I don't like the name Nelle, but he says Janelle like every five freaking seconds when talking about her! I hate it. Like you don't have to say her name that much dude..

I get why Chase calls her Janelle - that's what she called herself when he knew her - but it sounds stupid (maybe because the "Ja" sounds like a bit of a hiccup, I don't know), they should have him call her Nelle.

Nikolas used to call Liz "Liz" a lot but he hadn't done so for a while. I think Lucky called her Elizabeth consistently so everyone else just did it too eventually. 

• Love 2

It’s time for more errant thoughts from me, your friend who hasn’t been fucked to watch this show daily on any regular basis since... 2015? I think?

I was Chad’s biggest booster for a long time, and he can be very good with good writing which he hasn’t had much of in almost ten years. ulkis knows how long I championed pairing him and Maxie in an unlikely older least mature woman possible/younger man screwball romance; I think it would’ve worked, back when both still had much energy left. I think he works wonderfully with certain people, like Jane Elliot. I also think he should go now. If Drew Garrett wasn’t some sort of #MeToo situation BTS or something beg him to come back or get someone equally vulnerable yet strong. Michael is reduced to this because they don’t invest in Chad and Chad has failed to rise to the occasion. There is also absolutely zero reason for Michael to have a baby, let alone Maxie or Lulu having two. I’d still write Maxie out for a good while, and probably Lulu for a few months before finding a suitable recast assuming Julie Berman still doesn’t need rent money. Charlotte would be un-Spencered. I don’t care. I don’t!

I have no idea what is happening with Brook Lynn and I’m sure the writing is poor but there will never be a better recast for such a previously doomed role than Amanda Setton, and they should lock her in as long as possible.

I have said this many a time, but the holiday scenes drove home how wrong it is that Lisa Lo Cicero isn’t playing Lois since that’s basically all Olivia ever was minus a few details, from the beginning, right down to the Bensonhurst backstory. The chemistry with Wally Kurth is the same and she even auditioned for the Lois recast in the mid-2000s. Ron Carlivati wisely but too briefly lampshaded this when he first put these two together years ago by having Ned and Olivia openly discuss Lois on a date, but to this day I don’t feel it’s ever been really examined enough in scripts. Of course I haven’t watched regularly in like five years, so hey! Who knows? I just feel like it needs to be an intelligent discussion if I’m expected not to squint and call her Lois. There’s also zero reason that nice smiling child isn’t Ned’s son and not Brett Ratner’s. I mean Julian’s. Whoever.

Jason and Sam have resumed fulfilling no functional purpose beyond driving action and clinging to their aging and dying demo slice. One or both should now be brutally killed and/or written out. Their story will never go anywhere or evolve in any way while they are paired.

Laura Wright, who can weather anything IMO, finally looks very tired. I don’t blame her.

Did little Aidan finally get gayed or did they pull back after realizing the opening of that story was wildly offensive? Is Jake, more talented than half the new cast, still on the show?

Why does the new Q mansion’s color scheme look like it now comprises over half the current sets of Days of our Lives?

Has Jane given interviews? How is she feeling about being back? I remember her exit interviews, which were very gleefully in the key of “fuck this, I’m retired forever!” They need to beg her to do a Jess Walton recurring deal a la Y&R.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

But there's still just something about the out-of-show optics of it that catch my notice.  This is already a story designed to end with the show's one gay couple breaking up* and no longer being parents and now one half of the couple has been coma-ed so they can have some kind of custody battle here.  I think we will see WIllow try to undo the adoption, which is...yikes, you know?

I dunno, maybe it wouldn't bother as much if we had other gay parents around to counterbalance it?  Or if Brad had some kind of legimiate support like a Britt so he didn't feel so ganged-up on?

No, I agree with you. In a small way, Lucas and Brad are groundbreaking. There have barely been gay pairings on General Hospital other than those two, and they're certainly the first parents. It isn't that long ago that any gay couple on any soap was a big deal. So if it ends with their adoption being revoked, it leaves a sour taste.

Also, those of us who follow social media are watching this story on the background of seeing the worst of GH's fan base. There were people who said that Brad/Lucas marrying and then adopting shouldn't have been shown. Or they were going to stop watching if the show didn't stop cramming its LGBTQ agenda down the viewers' throats and get back to being about mob wars and (straight!) love in the afternoon like when it was good. So there's that. Those people get enough reinforcement in the country these days without television giving them rewards and vindication. 

So I admit, it becomes about something bigger than the specifics of Brad and Lucas. I wish things had reached a point of positive representation where every story could exist in isolation and be no more than its own thing, but I'm not sure we're there. Not that I'd want an idealized, perfect, boring gay couple who never did anything wrong, either.  

The equivalent years ago: there was never anything wrong in itself with hiring black actors to play criminals, but if that's all they were ever hired to do, and criminals were the only black characters ever on a show, it wasn't good.

8 hours ago, bannana said:

She should have just stayed low to the ground.  I just watched 1917 today and running while a gunman is shooting at you is not all that easy. 

Watching 1917 that day probably did no favors for any General Hospital action scenes. Ha ha! (I thought 1917 was really good. ) 

4 hours ago, ulkis said:

I get why Chase calls her Janelle - that's what she called herself when he knew her - but it sounds stupid (maybe because the "Ja" sounds like a bit of a hiccup, I don't know), they should have him call her Nelle.

Nikolas used to call Liz "Liz" a lot but he hadn't done so for a while. I think Lucky called her Elizabeth consistently so everyone else just did it too eventually. 

The Jacob Young Lucky is the one who seared "Elizabeth" into my brain, with his drawn out, shouted pronunciations of it. "YOU LEAVE ELIZABETH ALONE!" "WHERE IS ELIZABETH?" ELIZABEEEEEETH!!!" 

4 hours ago, jsbt said:

Did little Aidan finally get gayed or did they pull back after realizing the opening of that story was wildly offensive? Is Jake, more talented than half the new cast, still on the show?

They didn't drop the story; it's kind of in a holding pattern. They're letting Aiden do Aiden, being supportive, being ready for whatever comes, etc. 

The child actor got another gig, and they haven't shown Aiden in the family scenes at the Webber-Baldwin house lately. He was said to be visiting Lucky. 

Jake has still been around recently. He was in on the "Welcome home, Franco" stuff and in the holiday episode. There may have been a scene in which Jason brought a gift over. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

No, I agree with you. In a small way, Lucas and Brad are groundbreaking. There have barely been gay pairings on General Hospital other than those two, and they're certainly the first parents.

They're also, I'm pretty sure, the first gay couple on a US soap who've gone through the adoption process, who didn't have a child through last-stab-at-straightness-one-night-stands (Fish on OLTL, Will on Days) or, sadly, sexual assault (Bianca on AMC). 

4 hours ago, jsbt said:

I have no idea what is happening with Brook Lynn and I’m sure the writing is poor but there will never be a better recast for such a previously doomed role than Amanda Setton, and they should lock her in as long as possible.

You'd probably be interested to know that they established that Brook Lynn has a romantic past with Mark Lawson's character Dustin.  It's curious that, given they seem to be steering towards putting Brook with Julian, they also added in that connection, as well as bounced her off Chase a bit.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, jsbt said:

I still can’t tell the new White Chicks (Willow/Sasha) apart. Sorry!

At least Billy Joel is no longer lord of the Cassadine manor. Now I need to find Taggert clips.

i feel like Mike has had Alzheimer’s for like fifteen years. I mean, yes, people do but come on.

Did the Arab twink already lose his accent?

Is Kevin still married to Laura? Does Kevin still exist? What happened to Lucy? Has Tracy mentioned Luke?

1. Willow has a short, straight bob; Sasha has long stringy brownish/umberish hair. Does that help?
  2. I need to find those clips as well!
  3. 100% AGREE
  4. Lost his accent immediately
  5. Yes; Yes; she comes and goes, or as @TeeVee329 explained; Tracy mentioned Luke when she said he was the reason she returned because he got scammed--which had me 🙄 because Luke is the scammiest scammer whoever scammed.

Re: Elizabeth. Okay! Okay! I don't know why I thought only Lucky called her Elizabeth. Sheesh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

It did look like Laura got shot, and it is hard to tell with the abundance of hair that Carly has, but she seems to be wounded as well.  If that gunman didn't hit her, he should be fired from his job.

Hey-- does anyone know if Sirhan Surgeon got early parole along with all the other murderers and attempted murderers? (but I kid!)

still can’t tell the new White Chicks (Willow/Sasha) apart. Sorry!

Sasha has the vocal fry

Edited by sacrebleu
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

As for revoking adoption by "bio" mother Willow. I know this is a soap, so of course they'll hand wave it away, but bio moms have a finite time where they can change their minds. It's been nearly two years, so Willow, if she wants to do this, really shouldn't be able to, cuz, statute of limitations, to use a phrase, has expired. But. Like I said, this FAKAKTA show will ignore that and go full steam ahead. Maybe that's when we'll learn that Wiley isn't Wiley, but Jonah. IF ONLY.

14 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Martin's explanation/excuse was that Ava had drunk a boatload of vodka so he argued that she

slipped and Nik's a lying liar who lies, so who's going to believe his lying not dead ass.  

I don't care. Others that have been arrested were done so based on more flimsy "evidence." So my point about Valentin stands. And of course Lawyer Sanders doesn't admit that he lured Ava up there at his client's behest. Which would make him accomplice before the fact, at the very least.

4 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

has the vocal fry

I keep hearing this about various people and I still don't know what it means.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
  1. Willow has a short, straight bob; Sasha has long stringy brownish/umberish hair. Does that help?

No!

ETA: I just heard someone mention 'Donna,' asked myself 'who the fuck is Donna,' googled it and REALLY? Carly (and Sonny) had another fucking baby after all? REALLY?!?!?!

Edited by jsbt
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As for revoking adoption by "bio" mother Willow. I know this is a soap, so of course they'll hand wave it away, but bio moms have a finite time where they can change their minds. It's been nearly two years, so Willow, if she wants to do this, really shouldn't be able to, cuz, statute of limitations, to use a phrase, has expired. But. Like I said, this FAKAKTA show will ignore that and go full steam ahead. Maybe that's when we'll learn that Wiley isn't Wiley, but Jonah. IF ONLY.

You have a finite about of time (usually about a month) to change your mind.  That's true. However, just as a grandparent, or other family can sue for custody if they can prove that the child is in danger.  It's a much, much, much higher standard than just two parents going after custody.  I'm not saying that's the way show will go.

I keep hearing this about various people and I still don't know what it means.

If you are familiar with the Kardashians-- its how they talk. The sort of quasi valley-girl speak where everything sounds breathy and a little creaky/scratchy. As if the effort of speaking in an of itself is exhausting.  

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, jsbt said:

I was Chad’s biggest booster for a long time, and he can be very good with good writing which he hasn’t had much of in almost ten years. ulkis knows how long I championed pairing him and Maxie in an unlikely older least mature woman possible/younger man screwball romance; I think it would’ve worked, back when both still had much energy left. I think he works wonderfully with certain people, like Jane Elliot. I also think he should go now. If Drew Garrett wasn’t some sort of #MeToo situation BTS or something beg him to come back or get someone equally vulnerable yet strong. Michael is reduced to this because they don’t invest in Chad and Chad has failed to rise to the occasion. 

Their story will never go anywhere or evolve in any way while they are paired.

Has Jane given interviews? How is she feeling about being back? I remember her exit interviews, which were very gleefully in the key of “fuck this, I’m retired forever!” They need to beg her to do a Jess Walton recurring deal a la Y&R.

Strangely enough I feel like this is the most adult they've written Michael, or at least trying to. I mean he literally said to Joss yesterday I am a grown man who can take care of myself ha. He was very forward when going after Sasha and they show more business stuff. He even tried to grow some facial hair which was uh tried. But it's all kinda eh anyway. I wonder if Chad talked with FV. 

I feel like they are slowly trying to get Sam on for only once a month.

I think from the snippet or two she said that JE seems like she is going to come or go and that she wanted to come and hang with the cast and crew. But some people got the opposite impression so who knows.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

If you are familiar with the Kardashians-- its how they talk. The sort of quasi valley-girl speak where everything sounds breathy and a little creaky/scratchy. As if the effort of speaking in an of itself is exhausting.  

I don't. Don't give any fiddedity FUCKS about them; they are a cancer on our society.

1 hour ago, MarciNJ said:

and Liesl....

Forgot about her!

I'm tired of all the trash talking on this show, between, Brook Lynn and Carly and Joss and Sasha and Willow and everyone else going full on hysterical about Nelle. There is a reason I don't watch those "reality" shows.

As much as I don't like him, Valentin was right to say that they need to stop putting Charlotte in the middle of the war. I don't mind if Lulu has full custody but she shouldn't force Charlotte to cut ties with her beloved Papa. That's going to hurt Charlotte and should backfire on Lulu.

How does Martin think Valentin is going to pay him now that Nikolas is getting the Cassadine money?

Jax, there is no cheese so good as to merit being flown in from Switzerland. And wow, did he seem like a jerk, as Nina called it.

Jason heaping praise on Sonny for what a good son he is and wishing he had done the same for Allen seemed so hypocritical since he barely gives Monica the time of day now unless she's helping him with the kids. But then, that would require an actual effort on his part towards her rather than just propping up Sonny yet agaib.

Loved Ava's purple nail polish but her sparkly eye shadow doesn't look any better than it looked on Katie Cassidy in last night's Arrow episode.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, jsbt said:

Laura Wright, who can weather anything IMO,

She really can. I hate Carly a lot of the time, but LW knows the character inside and out. And she delivers every day, unlike SBu and MB.

11 hours ago, jsbt said:

finally looks very tired. I don’t blame her.

Ditto. Even though it feels as if Carly is in every story, she doesn't have much to do.

Vocal fry also ends in kind of a growl. It's highly annoying, IMO.

Everyone advocating for Willow to revoke the adoption seems to forget that Lucas will lose Wiley, too. It won't just be Brad.

Jason, the only reason Sonny has been able to put his anger at Mike aside is because Mike is sick. Were Mike not sick, the anger, resentment, and terrible treatment would still be there. And really, none of that has completely gone away.

• Love 4

And so it begins...from the GH FB page:

Today's episode of General Hospital will not air as scheduled. We will monitor the news coverage and continue to update our social channels as soon as we know when new episodes will return. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

• Useful 2
44 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

She really can. I hate Carly a lot of the time, but LW knows the character inside and out. And she delivers every day, unlike SBu and MB.

Ditto. Even though it feels as if Carly is in every story, she doesn't have much to do.

I feel like Carly’s only a lead these days in terms of episode count. It doesn’t seem like the writers really want to write for her. Among the 40 to 50-something actresses, Ava, Nina, and Sam are the ones getting the storylines. All she’s had for the past year is the pointless pregnancy, talking about Morgan, and random scenes discussing other people’s lives.

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

she shouldn't force Charlotte to cut ties with her beloved Papa

And yet as far as criminality goes, Lulu is quite comfortable with Charlotte being around Nina - the one who cut open a woman and stole her baby. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, ciarra said:

And yet as far as criminality goes, Lulu is quite comfortable with Charlotte being around Nina - the one who cut open a woman and stole her baby. 

No kidding. Nina would steal Charlotte herself and give her back to Valentin in a heartbeat. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

I saw this and thought, "Wait, when did they become pals? Nina has not been that great a stepparent to Charlotte."

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I think we will see WIllow try to undo the adoption,

On Tuesday's episode that we Canadians saw and who knows when it will air for the US, Joss suggested to Michael that they should take Wylie from Brad and give him back to Willow.  MIchael told his idiot sister that adoptions are legal and that Willow doesn't have a leg to stand on.  That may have been the writers way to let viewers know that they weren't going to recind the adoption.  

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Sake614 said:

And so it begins...from the GH FB page:

Today's episode of General Hospital will not air as scheduled. We will monitor the news coverage and continue to update our social channels as soon as we know when new episodes will return. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Huh. Don’t understand why they just don’t make it available on demand. The episodes have already been taped.

I suspect the US will be a week behind and we won’t see any new episodes until next week or after the hearings are over.

• Love 1
On 1/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, MarciNJ said:

but, can the doctor tell if the baby was born alive or stillborn?  which is probably what she meant and what the writers should have written.  

I highly doubt it, but medicine has come so far LOL. I got a C in high school biology, and I believed the "stork" brought babies to mamas up until second grade(thanks mom, for lying to me from the get go) . So I'll leave that to the women here who might know something about birthin babies.

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I don't mind if Lulu has full custody but she shouldn't force Charlotte to cut ties with her beloved Papa. That's going to hurt Charlotte and should backfire on Lulu.

Valentin attempted to murder both Nik and Ava, shot Kevin, and was a spy.  From the gang of thugs that he had in Greece - he probably was a mobster.  Whether or not Port Charles is currently under a spell whereby mobsters are 'normal' people, she needs to stay away from him and all other violent people and needs offscreen therapy/boarding school.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

or after the hearings are over.

Pardon my ignorance of all things Amercian, but why arent' they putting the hearings on a news channel only, like CNN?  Are there really that many peiople who want to see the hearings but don't get CNN?

18 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Valentin was right to say that they need to stop putting Charlotte in the middle of the war.

Valentin only said that because he's not currently in possession of Charlotte.  When it was "his week" and she was at Windemere with him, he was going on and on AND ON to Nina about how he was going to haul Lulu into court for full custody.  He was snarling it in both Lulu and Laura's faces that he was going to take Charlotte away, which is why Curtis (and Jax for his own reasons) were trying to dig up dirt on Valentin that they could use in family court, like dredging Claudette out of whatever hole she's hiding in. 

Valentin is douche who does not have Charlotte's best interests at heart.  

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

So, far I've only seen Monday's episode. I think that's the only one that has aired, right? Unless, they are on the ABC app or On Demand which I haven't checked.

That's right. Tuesday and yesterday's episodes were preempted due to the hearings in the US; the episodes are only airing in Canada; and they're not available on either the ABC app or on Demand.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Pardon my ignorance of all things Amercian, but why arent' they putting the hearings on a news channel only, like CNN?  Are there really that many peiople who want to see the hearings but don't get CNN?

There may be. Cable subscriptions have been falling here; a lot of people are cutting the cord. Of course, most of them would have some other way of keeping up with impeachment hearings, like streaming video.

But whatever the case, daytime programming has always gotten no respect. The standard for preempting prime time is higher. If there's something "newsworthy" going on during the day, like a trial with high public interest, presidential matters, military business, an attack on or by the United States, a natural disaster, etc., the news division bursts in with alacrity. The trial of OJ Simpson in 1995 is often cited as one of the blows from which soaps never recovered. 

• Love 4

Our office gym cable has been on the fritz so I've been vicariously enjoying the show (and the snark) here at my beloved TWoP (or whatever it is now) -- but I did catch the opening credits the other day.  I have a question -- I thought the floppy haired brunette guy I find so pouty and annoying (he reminds me of Zoolander striking a pose all the time) is playing both the doctor with the vest fetish and the serial killer/loving husband/brain transplant guy?

But those characters have two separate "slider cards" on the opening credits.  Are they two different actors?  They look the same to me other than a shave.  (By the way, honest and true, I think I have that "can't tell a face apart" syndrome because I am really bad at recognizing faces.  These two actors/one actor look the same to me.)

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Not everyone has cable & this is a big deal, news-wise.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Captanne said:

Our office gym cable has been on the fritz so I've been vicariously enjoying the show (and the snark) here at my beloved TWoP (or whatever it is now) -- but I did catch the opening credits the other day.  I have a question -- I thought the floppy haired brunette guy I find so pouty and annoying (he reminds me of Zoolander striking a pose all the time) is playing both the doctor with the vest fetish and the serial killer/loving husband/brain transplant guy?

But those characters have two separate "slider cards" on the opening credits.  Are they two different actors?  They look the same to me other than a shave.  (By the way, honest and true, I think I have that "can't tell a face apart" syndrome because I am really bad at recognizing faces.  These two actors/one actor look the same to me.)

Michael Easton is only playing Finn right now and he should in the credits once. I’m blanking on who would look similar to him. The only ones I can think of are Chase (but the actor is significantly younger than ME) and Neil. 

18 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Michael Easton is only playing Finn right now and he should in the credits once. I’m blanking on who would look similar to him. The only ones I can think of are Chase (but the actor is significantly younger than ME) and Neil. 

serial killer/brain transplant/loving husband sounds like Franco to me.  I agree he doesn't look like Michael Easton, but that's a pretty apt description.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Captanne said:

the serial killer/loving husband/brain transplant guy?

23 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I’m blanking on who would look similar to him. The only ones I can think of are Chase (but the actor is significantly younger than ME) and Neil. 

Roger Howarth is playing the serial killer/loving husband/brain transplant guy. I don't usually look at the opening cards, but if they're using an older picture of him, then he will have floppier hair.

ETA: Or what @Katy M said.

Edited by rur

I agree with not airing the show in favor of the hearings but I don’t buy that a significant amount of the audience wouldn’t be able to watch the show online if they put the episodes up on Hulu and abc.com. Things have changed a lot in the past few years and there are plenty of older viewers who stream tv shows now. All they would really be losing is people who have the channel on the background, not the active viewers. It’s unfortunate since interest in the show has gone up recently and once people get out of the habit of watching it daily, some won’t tune back in once the hearings are over. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Captanne said:

Our office gym cable has been on the fritz so I've been vicariously enjoying the show (and the snark) here at my beloved TWoP (or whatever it is now) --

This site was never TWoP. It was created and owned by the same guy who had also created TWoP, but alas, he's gone too now. But when TWoP was shutting down, a lot of us from there, navigated over here.

Thanks, GHScorpiosRule, I've been migrating with them since Mighty Big TV.  I know this place wasn't TWoP but it feels like home to me!  😀

Thanks to those who helped with me with my Facial Recognition Failure Syndrome. (tm, me).  Now I know those actors are two different guys.  I think it didn't help that, at the time I was introduced to the smashed cast, Anna had a twin and then the doctor vest one is all up in her skirts.  I thought it was hilarious that there were so many twins running around -- way to save money in daytime! 

• Love 1