Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Lands/Roles

• Start Topic

I didn't find this thread here, so thought I would create it. Here's where we can point out sightings of familiar faces when they've been cursed (or blessed) into being other people in other places, with no memory of their Storybrooke or Enchanted Forest selves.

Or, you know, when the actors from Once Upon a Time appear in other roles in other projects.

Here's what triggered it: I was watching/ignoring the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie on cable yesterday when I thought I spotted a familiar pair of eyebrows. And, yes, Robbie Kay was playing the cabin boy on Blackbeard's ship. He mostly served as human scenery and didn't get a lot of lines, but I found it highly amusing that he was essentially the anti-Pan. Instead of being the really clever one who knew exactly what was going on and manipulated events, he mostly stood around with his eyes wide and his mouth hanging open in shock (not that I blame him -- he'd read the script, and that movie makes 3A look like King Lear).

Grumpy was in POTC too, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe he was in the original and possibly the two sequels. I didn't spot him in this one, and he didn't seem to show up on IMDB. There aren't a lot of carry-over characters in the fourth one. It's kind of a reboot. There seemed to be one guy from Jack Sparrow's original crew.

Between this movie, the appearance of Blackbeard on Once Upon a Time and the show Crossbones, Blackbeard is getting around a bit.

The crazy thing about this series is that we might actually need a "Characters in Other Stories" thread. I suppose the "vs. Other Fairy Tales" thread covers it, but how many shows are there where you could devote a thread to other appearances by the characters -- like all those fairy tale movies coming out, Disney movies, various pirate appearances, Peter Pan retellings, etc.?

My mom and I are rewatching Lagaan for the umpteenth time (India's 2002 entry to the Oscars for the non-Bollywood watchers among us). Rachel Shelley has a pretty big role in this, and when I was telling my mom that she's in OUAT, she asked what Rachel Shelley's role was. To say "She was married to Rumplestiltskin but left him for Captain Hook. Then later on, Rumplestiltskin killed her and Captain Hook spent 300 years trying to avenge her death," to someone who has only the faintest idea of what OUAT is about was very strange.

(Also, hi! Longtime TWOP lurker, and now here lurker. Couldn't resist bringing up Rachel Shelley's Bollywood history, though.)

(edited)

Milah was in Lagaan??! What a different role! lol I haven't seen Lagaan in a long time, though, so I wouldn't have made the connection on my own! Thanks! :-)

Edited by Rumsy4

They showed the trailer during the noon news, and the anchorman was cracking up when they went back to the studio camera. I don't blame him. Jamie Dornan is very pretty, but he still has that problem of sounding like he's carefully reciting lines instead of just talking, and it's so much worse when the dialogue is so bad that you can't imagine any human being ever actually saying those things.

I weep at the thought of how much money this movie is going to make and how much money the books made.

• Love 2
They should have let him keep some stubble, too. I think Dornan's 500% more attractive with it.

Seriously. I might have actually considered watching this train wreck of a movie if he had kept his stubble. (Oh who am I kidding... I'll be seeing this with my girlfriends in the theater with some smuggled-in glasses of wine!)

I'll be seeing this with my girlfriends in the theater with some smuggled-in glasses of wine!

There are theaters with bars now. Might be worth looking for.

For me, this might be a "when it comes to HBO, maybe, if I don't have anything better to do and have enough wine" movie. I don't want to give this franchise any money.

(edited)

So it looks like Graham didn't die, but he lost his memories and got transported to Trashy Novels Land, where subconscious trauma by Regina has been subverted into a lust for domination in the bedroom in his new alter-ego Christian Grey.  See, Grey for Graham.  Hopefully, Snow White's alternate reality distant cousin Snow Grey can come and rescue Graham and make him regain his real memories.  Not sure if Snow Grey will be in the first movie, though.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

Oh @rumsy, that's all I can think about whenever I see anything about this. It's repackaged crappy Twilight smut fic! If you want the good stuff, it's online and free! If anything, it gives me hope that someday my fanfiction could be made into a movie. Usually, that's when I realize I've had too much wine for one night.

Jamie is pretty but not pretty enough for me to see this.

• Love 6
I am surprised Ginny isn't on there cause I'm sure she has the highest name recognition of the main cast besides Robert,

Really? I've never even heard of her before Once, but I knew JMo from House and How I Met Your Mother. Did Ginny do movies? Because I'm more of a TV fan, so maybe that's why I didn't recognize her.

I agree Robert's the biggest name in the cast, though, but he does have a 20 year head start on them :)

Still I and I bet the industry consider Q scores way more valid than twitter ramblings or random internet polls.

Not to mention that the loudness of Regina fandom doesn't meet normal viewers would love her as much. Kinda like I doubt an ordinary reader of Harry Potter would consider Draco their dream boyfriend, while he has, like, the highest fanfiction number or whatever. 

Edited by FurryFury

Really? I've never even heard of her before Once, but I knew JMo from House and How I Met Your Mother. Did Ginny do movies? Because I'm more of a TV fan, so maybe that's why I didn't recognize her.

Ginny has been in romantic comedy-type movies that young females would have known her from, plus on tv she was in 'Big Love' on cable, pretty high profile. 

Ginny also played Johnny Cash's first wife in Walk the Line with Joaquin Phoenix. That's about the only other thing I've seen her in. Never saw Jennifer in anything before OAUT, and actually Robert was really the only actor out of the cast that I was familiar with. Which in a way was nice, because it's good when you're not thinking of another character that an actor has played while watching something.

• Love 1

I first saw Ginny in He's Just Not That Into You. I saw Colin O'Donoghue in The  Rite, but I hadn't seen any of the other core cast members in anything before. Well... I suppose I saw Emily and Lana (in the Underwater Station) in LOST. haha Of course Lee Arenberg was in the PotC movies, but I didn't realize it until someone pointed it out in S1.

I hadn't really seen many of the actors before Once (which probably helps with my enjoyment of the show!). I knew Jennifer Morrison had been on House--though not HIMYM--but I didn't watch that show, so to me, she was only familiar as Kirk's mother in the Star Trek reboot.

I had seen Josh Dallas in Thor (and Sebastian Stan in Captain America, come to think of it). Ginnifer Goodwin I'd seen in Walk the Line and in the occasional rom-com, though I'm not a big fan of those movies; I also knew she was in Mona Lisa Smile with Julia Roberts, though I haven't seen it. (And crap, she was in A Single Man? I totally don't remember her at all!) Michael Raymond-James was the guy from True Blood--I only watched the first few episodes of S1, but he was in those, so!

Hadn't seen Robert Carlyle, Lana Parrilla, or Colin O'D in anything (in fact, didn't even know who Carlyle was).

• Love 1

I only knew of JMo and Emilie de Ravin prior to watching OUaT. I'm just learning now that I had seen GG in Walk the Line. I don't think I watched Thor until after OUaT premiered, but I recognized JD right away in that movie. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that I'd seen LP before in her minor role on LOST (but I recognized Charlotte and Hurley and Charles Widmore as soon as they appeared on OUaT) and that Sebastian Stan was in Kings (awesome show, btw). I don't think I've seen any of RC's other works. I also knew Anya and the Mayor from Buffy in their early Season Once appearances as the Blind Witch and Jiminy's dad, respectively.

One of the reasons I started watching the show was Robert Carlyle, I love him since Trainspotting. I was a big fan of both Lost and House M.D. so I knew Emilie and Jennifer, and I have to say that I hated both of them. Never was a fan of Ginnifer either. My opinion on both Jennifer and Ginnifer has changed quite a lot since I started watching the show, but I dislike Emilie even more know.

I totally don't remember Lana on Lost. What was her part?

She was only in two episodes I think.  She was one of the two women in the underwater station that Charlie visited with Desmond in the Season 3 finale.

Of the main cast, I was only familiar with Robert.  I liked Emilie on "Lost" and I still like her character there much more than Belle.  

Edited by Camera One

I'm impressed you saw The Rite -- I don't think many people did. :-)

It's actually a pretty decent movie. Although, again, I didn't connect the dots until later, and realized that the lead was our very own Dashing Pirate (BIG difference). 

I totally don't remember Lana on Lost. What was her part?

Hehee. She was one of the two people manning the Underwater Dharma Station for Ben in the S3 finale, and Charlie encounters them when he goes to turn off the beacon or whatever. She was either Bonnie or the other one (Greta?). Poor Charlie. Sob... 

• Love 4

I watched The Rite on OnDemand, because it looked interesting, and was happily surprised to see that Colin was in it, although it took me a second to realize it was him. This wasn't long after Hook showed up on OUAT, so I wasn't, ahem, as infatuated with him yet. ;) I was confused that he had an American accent, so I googled him, I discovered he was actually Irish! What?! :) So then I watched an interview with him on some talk show, and fell in love with his natural accent, and everything that was opposite of Hook about him, and there was no turning back after that! Getting back to the movie, I thought it was actually pretty good. I don't remember Lana in Lost at all either, and that description doesn't really ring a bell. I definitely remember Emilie from Lost though. Forgot about her in my previous post.

• Love 2

I'd seen most of the main cast in something before OUAT. I remember being really pleased that Robert Carlyle had gotten an interesting gig in Vancouver after moving his family out there for the disappointing SGU and the JMO had a lead role after House and her terrible (IMO) run on HIMYM.

Since I've watched a lot of sci fi and Syfy I also recognise a lot of random Canadian day players so I'm always happy to see them again going "hey it's that guy from BSG and that other one did Arrow and Sanctuary!"

• Love 1

Zombies have in invaded Vancouver and kidnapped some of the cast. Not just that Rose McIver and David Anders are filming the upcoming CW series iZombie, Meghan Ory is at the moment filming Dead Rising: Watchtower, based on the video game. And looks like our Blue Fairy Keegan Connor Tracy has a part in it as well

Is that why all four of them are MIA on the show?  Or would they have had time to put in a guest appearance if they were written in?

A&E just said in an interview that Rose McIver is too busy with iZombie to film for Once, but they'd write her in if available. Without spoiling things, I will say that

one of the other three is confirmed back within the next few episodes.

Edited by stacey
Spoiler tag

So, every year after I put up my Christmas tree and decorate, I throw cheesy Christmas movies into my DVD player. Imagine my surprise when I threw in Samantha: An American Girl Holiday with AnnaSophia Robb (hush, Samantha was the best Americal Girl ;)) and discovered that Rebecca Mader is Aunt Cornelia!

Now I totally need the crossover fic where Zelena's time portal works and sends her not to the Enchanted Forest of the past but to 1904 New York, where she meets and marries Frankie Rizzoli and they end up adopting four little girls. *nods*

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 2

Vancouver must have a small pool of actors. I'm re-watching Smallville starting with Season 6 and I keep seeing people from Once. Midas, Smee and others all looking a lot younger.

I began watching Eureka, and Mr. Smee is there too!

I hadn't realized King George was in Lost as Mr. Widmore. But now that I see it, the roles are almost identical is nature. The actor does a really good job portraying a snobbish higher-up. (Saw him in Captain America 2 as well.)

Edited by KingOfHearts

Hey, that's Alan Dale, the TV's premier Evil Dad. He's played this role so many times that when I saw him on Person of Interest (binged it this summer) as an ex-Stazi guest star I've instantly guessed he'd have a child despite there being no indication of that. Of course, I was right.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

I was watching one of those cheesy Hallmark Channel holiday movies tonight (don't judge -- I needed something to make me happy after the mid-season finale), and Bailee Madison had one of the leading roles, playing a teenage elf who's trying to save the North Pole. The movie's called Northpole, and I have to say that this cheesy Hallmark Channel movie had a better thought out magical system and did more with worldbuilding than OUAT has managed in three and a half seasons. They've already announced a sequel next year (I guess Clementine the elf is going to help someone else believe). They were also running ads for a new Hallmark series featuring Bailee Madison, so I guess she's becoming the channel's poster child.

She's also getting really tall. They won't be able to do any more young Snow flashbacks unless they limit themselves to the time period after Regina's marriage.

They were also running ads for a new Hallmark series featuring Bailee Madison, so I guess she's becoming the channel's poster child.

With Catherine Bell! They're adapting the Good Witch movies into a TV show. (The Good Witch movies, much like everything else on Hallmark, are cheesy but adorable.)

Edited by Dani-Ellie

Vancouver must have a small pool of actors. I'm re-watching Smallville starting with Season 6 and I keep seeing people from Once. Midas, Smee and others all looking a lot younger.

It seriously does. I just see the same people over and over again in everything that films up there. Continuum, The 100, and seriously is there nothing that films in Canada that Tahmoh Penikett doesn't eventually show up on?

• Love 1