Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Lands/Roles

• Start Topic

Carlyle's The Legend of Barney Thompson gets it's UK release this weekend, and he's been garnering some pretty solid reviews from the press, both as a directoral debut and an acting turn.

Emma Thompson apparently slays it as his mother, depsite the fact that in reality, she's less than two years older than he. He told the Irish Times that he sent her the script and she accepted the role the next day. “She said she thought it was a hoot. I’ve always been a big fan of Emma. I think she’s absolutely wonderful. Even though the part is nothing like Nanny McPhee there are some similarities, because both parts require someone with no vanity whatsoever. Emma is such a beautiful-looking woman. It takes a real actor to disguise herself in that manner. Someone who doesn’t give a shit, where most Hollywood actresses would tell you, ‘F*** off. I’m not playing that.’ ”   

No word if/when it might get a US release, athough I suspect it will eventually.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/stage/the-legend-of-barney-thompson-robert-carlyle-throws-a-curveball-1.2293630

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jul/23/the-legend-of-barney-thomson-review-chaotically-brutal-comedy-noir

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/the-legend-of-barney-thomson-film-review-emma-thompson-steals-the-show-in-wry-comedy-10411941.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/film/the-legend-of-barney-thomson-review-tough-love-on-the-streets-of-glasgow-10412736.html

• Love 1

Was man, I knew I shouldn't have clicked the link. I haven't watched the Who Do You Think You Are? episode yet. Seems like everyone has to have something tragic or scandalous in their ancestry.

Aww, it's ok, it wasn't that big of a spoiler. And it had just aired, but I DVR'd and hadn't watched it yet. Sundays are The Last Ship, Fallen Skies (I don't know why I still bother with that show) and True Detective, so I had a lot to watch! LOL

Did people catch "Descendants" on Disney?  If I'm not mistaken the part of Belle was played by our Boobfairy.  She didn't do much since the focus was on the spawn of the villains and Kristen Chenowith's version of Malifiscent, but I enjoyed the movie. 

I saw the Goodwin episode of Who Do You Think You Are?  and I have to say that I liked Ginny's attitude of acceptance and forgiveness toward her flawed ancestors.  It was particularly interesting to me that she said that if she found out great grandma wasn't just a dope DEALER but an ADDICT  that it would help her get over it, because then she wouldn't  just a criminal she would be someone with an illness.  As it turned out great grandma was an addict in a time when there was so very little help for addiction that Ginny felt sorry for her.  Overall I thought Ginny handled the whole thing with maturity so good on her. 

Edited by MDKNIGHT

Making a random post about a random sighting, but I'm catching up on Doctor Who and came across Josh Dallas on an episode called "Silence at the Library" -- he plays a face attached to some statue type thing that talks. It was bizarre.

• Love 1

Looks like Colin has a new film role. It's filming in NYC between November and January, but people who have read the book figure he'll play the small but pivotal role of an English professor who the main character has an affair with. So hopefully it won't conflict with Once filming TOO much. This must be the movie he referenced at a con this summer having to "work out" the scheduling for.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 3

That scene was so obviously about Hook teasing Henry and his new crush that anyone who reads more into it are actually the ones who are being pervy and need to get their minds out of the gutter. 

Exactly. The person who had that thought in their head are the ones who needs a reality check. Other wise it sounds like someone who doesn't like Hook. Why would Hook even think of pervy thoughts about Emma's son and his new crush in front of her? Who hurt these people with these disgusting thoughts?

Wait. So the lead actresses character has an affair with Colin's character? For once, with Colin, I hope they don't show too much. She looks 15.

Apparently her character loses her virginity to him at Harvard. The lead actress (who is 23) just did a movie where she has an affair with her mother's boyfriend, so she may be getting typecast already, LOL! She's getting STELLAR reviews for that movie, Diary of a Teenage Girl, though. I haven't seen this actress in anything, so it's much better for me than if it had been the original actress, Hailee Steinfeld -- who I still think of as her age in True Grit. That would have freaked me out.

Why couldn't they have waited until next weekend to premiere when I'll actually be in the twin cities?

(Although, it's only a relatively short bus ride away from me. Tempting...so tempting.)

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1

Why couldn't they have waited until next weekend to premiere when I'll actually be in the twin cities?

(Although, it's only a relatively short bus ride away from me. Tempting...so tempting.)

I hear ya!  I was JUST in MSP for a friend's wedding this last weekend.  I'm sooo tempted to call in sick Friday and drive back up there, see the flick, and drive home the next day.  But alas, it's 620 miles one way, and the cost of gas alone makes it an "impractical decision."  UGH!  I hate being an adult!

• Love 2

Lieutenant, maybe we can both make impractical decisions and YOLO it up for a weekend. ;)

It sounds like one of the producers of the film will be in attendance. If this film fest is like the last one I went to, they'll probably let the audience ask him questions about the film process afterwards. That would be fun.

• Love 2

Robert's directorial debut picked up a few nominations for the Scottish BAFTA awards -it's up for Best Film, Robert for Lead Actor and Emma Thompson for Lead Actress.

He's up against David Tennant for best actor, and I don't know who to root for in that race. I adore both equally.

Looks like The Legend of Barney Thompson will get a US release, with an announcement on the details sometime this week.

• Love 1

Barney Thomson won best film at the BAFTA Scotland awards today and Emma Thompson won best actress. Unfortunately, Robert did not win in his two categories of best actor and director. Just as well that he stayed home and nursed his cold, I guess.

• Love 1

Sarah Bolger is in the recent release My All-American, playing the girlfriend of the main character. The movie's a true story about a University of Texas football player in the late 60s who got cancer. So I guess Aurora is now an honorary Longhorn by association.

Sarah Bolger is in the recent release My All-American, playing the girlfriend of the main character. The movie's a true story about a University of Texas football player in the late 60s who got cancer. So I guess Aurora is now an honorary Longhorn by association.

I guess I can't be a fan of her anymore then. Ha ha.

So, I was spending a cold, rainy Saturday afternoon overdosing on Hallmark Christmas movies, and I noticed that Christie Laing, Marian, had a small part in one of them -- Window Wonderland. It's set in a department store, and she plays the perfume counter person. I kept thinking she looked familiar, but she was all glammed up and in a suit, so very out of context from the way I'm used to seeing her, and I had to check IMDB to verify who she was.

I imagine that since most of these movies are filmed in Canada, I'll be seeing a lot of OUAT supporting cast showing up in minor roles in these things. Maybe I'll make a game out of it.

That was beautifully shot and I love the cinematography, but I felt like it was a couple minutes too long. But I'm excited to see Jen doing more of these kinds of projects, though! I hope she decides to direct a full-length indie project in the future, although that probably won't happen until OUAT is over.

Rose looking more like The Yellow Ranger and less like Tinkerbell and Liv Moore. This short film feels more like a music video than a short film but still beautiful cinematography.

I'd love to see Jen direct an episode of OUAT.

Well according to JM's interview, it's a short film because that was the concept the band was going for. They went to her with the idea that they wanted their music to be the soundtrack of a short silent film.

It was beautifully shot and looked more expensive than an episode of Once. How is that possible? The story itself looks like a hot mess however. Maybe cause they only had 6 weeks to get it together. Or they didn't get enough footage or something? Because it looked like she was trying to stretch out limited footage to fit all the songs they had.

Also I miss Rose/Tink on Once. On the other hand she's clearly got the better gig on iZombie and elsewhere.

That was beautifully shot and I love the cinematography, but I felt like it was a couple minutes too long. But I'm excited to see Jen doing more of these kinds of projects, though! I hope she decides to direct a full-length indie project in the future, although that probably won't happen until OUAT is over.

She said she's optioned a movie to direct, written by the writer of Warrior (Anthony Tambakis), for this upcoming hiatus. I think it's called Sun Dogs. Of course, those kinds of things fall through all the time, but hopefully she pulls it off.

• Love 1

She said she's optioned a movie to direct, written by the writer of Warrior (Anthony Tambakis), for this upcoming hiatus. I think it's called Sun Dogs. Of course, those kinds of things fall through all the time, but hopefully she pulls it off.

It's all going to depend on if she can get the funding.  She hasn't said anything about it recently.

I noticed the Hello Giggles website also has the videos separated by song.  I haven't watched them yet, but I wondered if they work better as individual videos rather than one long video.  I'm also wondering if Jennifer's character was dead (possible killed by the boyfriend?) or just the new girlfriend being jealous/paranoid.  It goes from them sitting on that dock thing to someone falling/jumping in the water.  I get that she's not really there. It's so confusing, but I guess music videos don't always make sense either.

Also it seems Danny Boyle is making Trainspotting 2 with most of the original cast including Robert Carlyle(Francis "Franco" Begbie) coming back. I remember watching the original years ago and being blown away.

I've got to watch the first one! I only read the book. Didn't know that Bobby was in it!

Basically four music videos squished together. Wow, that's a lot of overhead shots! I like how close it's cut and the quality of all the images, props, costuming, lighting, and whatever sort of cameras they're using. Well done, JMo! I couldn't catch what was or wasn't in the box at the end, though. Rose looks good.