Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Lands/Roles

• Start Topic

I'd seen most of the main cast in something before OUAT. I remember being really pleased that Robert Carlyle had gotten an interesting gig in Vancouver after moving his family out there for the disappointing SGU and the JMO had a lead role after House and her terrible (IMO) run on HIMYM.

My CW is currently showing the season with Zoey and I'm trying to figure out on re-watch where that character went wrong.

I hope when this show is over that ABC does a comedy with JMo.

• Love 1

I have recently seen the woman who plays David's mother Ruth in a Hallmark Christmas movie.  Must have been filmed in Canada, now that I think about all the non-fake snow. 

You must be referring to Let it Snow in which three OUAT guest stars Charming's mom, Belle's dad, and their son (Red's dead boyfriend Peter) must stop big city businesswoman DJ Tanner and her dad Alan Thicke from tearing down their quaint ski lodge in Maine--that of course goes ALL OUT for Christmas--in favor of a mega resort for young married couples with no kids. I binge watched (don't judge!) a ton of cheesy Christmas movies on our DVR this weekend while decorating. 

In another, Jared Gilmore was in Nanny for Christmas. I wasn't really watching and my husband was actually the one who noticed "isn't that the annoying kid from your show?"  The movie is pre-OUAT so it brought back all those memories of season 1 when Truest Stupid looked/acted his age, hated his adoptive mom for being the Evil Queen/taking away the happy endings/killing Graham, and believed the book documented the real events of the fairytale characters. You know before he became the worst!

• Love 1

Yes, that was it, I saw Alan Thicke in it, but didn't see the entire movie or notice the other two Once folk.  And I also saw a bit of the other one, it was my daughter who noticed young Henry.  (Believe me, I'm not judging, but it seems like there were a few Hallmark-type Christmas movies from about 10 years ago that were a lot better than the more current crop.)

My CW is currently showing the season with Zoey and I'm trying to figure out on re-watch where that character went wrong.

She was a love interest of Ted's. He character assainated every woman he came in touch with, even the mother. Yes, I'm still bitter about that finale.

Also check out tumblr. Colin is apparently working on a music video with Christina Perri.

Edited by sharky
  • Love 1

Michael Raymond-James (Neal) is in the upcoming History Channel mini-series Sons of Liberty as Paul Revere. In the preview, they have him shouting "The British are coming! The British are coming!" which ruins any historical accuracy for me. Way to go History Channel.

• Love 1

I've been watching Revolution on Netflix, because Elizabeth Mitchell is in it. I love this show, so of course it was cancelled.

Loved the first season, meh on the second. I stopped watching midway through the second season.

• Love 1

I thought there was a big improvement in S2 of Revolution over S1. I could definitely tell the effect of Rockne O'Bannon, who came on as a producer in S2. But I think it was too little, too late. I did find Liz Mitchell's character rather annoying, but I loved Miles and Monroe and their snark. And, of course, Giancarlo Esposito (Once's Sidney) was awesome.

Edited by Souris

I did watch all of V. I liked Liz Mitchell's character better there. Plus Blackbeard! It was uneven, but I enjoyed it.

I remember being utterly freaked out and terrified by the lizard baby in the original series, when I was about 11 or 12. I saw it again a few years ago, and it was so clearly a rubber puppet it was laughable. Such a definable image from my childhood, utterly undermined, LOL.

Did anyone watch the full run of V? I remember seeing the pilot, but not bothering to watch the rest. I still had fond memories of the original series.

Yes, I did.  I liked Elizabeth Mitchell in that much more than her character on "Revolution".  "V" was a tad too violent for my tastes, but I still enjoyed it overall.  It was more a popcorn type show, though... not too deep, but the villain was fun and I found the heroes reasonably rootable.  I hadn't watched the original so I can't make any comparisons.

Edited by Camera One

I was using the BBCAmerica marathon of The Tudors this afternoon as background noise for knitting, and I got much amusement out of one of the episodes, in which Hook was adorkably smoldering at Aurora, and she seemed to think he was Philip.

He really can't control that eyebrow, can he?

• Love 5

I just saw an ad reminding me that the second half of Chasing Life's first season starts on Jan 19. If you enjoyed Scott Michael Foster on Once, I recommend it (he's not a main character, but he is in it quite regularly and is still one of the more important characters). The premise sounded a bit zzz to me (early 20s woman gets a break in her journalist career but is then diagnosed with cancer, must balance treatment with work and love life) but I binged it when there was nothing else in late summer, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Hulu only has a few episodes up but... I'm sure you can figure out how to obtain the rest.

I keep seeing ads for a new Hallmark Channel show about their on-going movie series "The Good Witch". Apparently now it's going to be a regular TV series. And it's got Bailey Madison as the teen lead. I would have liked to see her on Once again, but for fun. She was always so good.

• Love 1

I saw a trailer for 50 Shades of Gray (Or Grey? I keep forgetting.) Jaimie Dornan has a bit of his scruff back and dark, and an American accent. Do they keep changing the girl playing Anastasia Steele? I thought she was blonde in the black-and-white trailer. His American accent sounds good to me, though I was surprised that it would be set in America even after reading that it was a Twilight fanfic with a search-replace of names and the vampires removed which makes it not plagiarism, because I guess I heard the author in an interview and she's British? Although she kept saying it's a fantasy, it's a fantasy but the little I read of the actual book didn't have dragons anywhere.

I have very high hopes for this show. I'm a big fan of Veronica Mars, and Rob Thomas kinda redeemed himself for me with the movie last year. Rose seems perfect for the role, judging by the promo, and I'm already interested in David's character.

It also got probably the best timeslot on the network (following The Flash, CW's highest rated show), so it seems they at least want it to succeed. (It premieres on March 17, BTW).

(edited)

I just realized that I know the guy who wrote the comic that iZombie is based on. He's a friend of several friends of mine, so we end up in the same group hanging out together at conventions, and he also went to the same university as I did at the same time, though I don't think we knew each other then, but that's part of some of the friend-of-a-friend connection. I guess now I have to watch the show.

In other "Cast in Other Lands" news, The Rite is on HBO Eastern this afternoon and HBO Pacific tonight. It doesn't sound like my kind of thing, but wow, what a cast. A lot of top-notch actors must have had mortgage payments due.

Edited by Shanna Marie

I watched The Rite during the free HBO trial this weekend. I made it about 45 minutes before I bailed. Mostly, I was interested in Colin's American accent. To me, it's a lot like his attempt at a British one. It vaguely fits into the right category, but is not really quite there. Also, Colin looked like he was 12. 

I thought his American accent was pretty good. I watched The Rite before I knew who he was, and I didn't know while watching that he wasn't American. Then when I saw him on OUAT, I thought he was British, until I heard an interview with him. Apparently I am not attuned to accents. ;) But he definitely did look very young. I really wish he could have shaved when playing Lieutenant Jones, it would have made an even greater contrast. And his beard seems to grow pretty quickly, so I feel like it could have been done if they had timed the filming right.

The Rite actually started picking up at about the 45-minute mark, about the time Anthony Hopkins showed up, and then a good portion of the movie was Anthony Hopkins and Colin having conversations about the nature of faith, or Anthony Hopkins doing exorcist-type things while Colin reacted. Really, I think the movie was mis-labeled as a horror movie about exorcisms. It really was an exploration of the concept of faith.

The accent was kind of all over the place. Sometimes it sounded American, but very consciously and deliberately so. Sometimes it was perfect and sounded totally natural. And then sometimes he sounded Irish. The funny thing was, his voice is rather different in American mode, so when he had an accent slip, his voice changed, too.

There was one moment in the film that was oddly prescient, considering that Once Upon a Time wasn't even on the air yet and they probably weren't even close to casting Hook. Colin's character was wearing a long black coat, and he was standing in silhouette with his right side facing the camera. In his left hand he was holding an old-fashioned umbrella with a hook handle. I was doing something else and glanced up at the screen out of the corner of my eye, and suddenly there was Captain Hook, in his long black coat with a hook at the end of his left sleeve. I had to blink and focus my eyes to see that it was the umbrella handle sticking out.

I really wish he could have shaved when playing Lieutenant Jones, it would have made an even greater contrast. And his beard seems to grow pretty quickly, so I feel like it could have been done if they had timed the filming right.

Yeah, the lack of beard makes a huge difference in his face, and since he's a fair-skinned, dark-haired Irishman, they could have wrapped filming the Lt. Jones scenes on a Friday and then he'd have had the usual level of scruff by Monday afternoon (if he's anything like the men on the Irish side of my family). But they really should use that, maybe for an even younger Lt. Jones scene. Or as a disguise for Hook. If he ever needs to hide in plain sight from people who are out to get Hook, he just needs to shave and use the fake hand and people who only know him in pirate mode would walk right past him.

The accent was kind of all over the place. Sometimes it sounded American, but very consciously and deliberately so. Sometimes it was perfect and sounded totally natural. And then sometimes he sounded Irish. The funny thing was, his voice is rather different in American mode, so when he had an accent slip, his voice changed, too.

I will have to rewatch the movie and see if I notice the accent slips, and the umbrella thing. For science. This kind of reminds me of the joke Amy Poehler made at the Golden Globes last night, when she was mocking the way British people speak very deliberately when doing an American accent.

I'm not a native speaker of English and I kinda envy you guys and your ability to distinguish accents. The most I can do is tell British from American from something else (oh, and I always can tell Russian, although I'm Russian myself and I speak nothing like this). And even if the actor's accent isn't natural I never know.

At least with the nature of Once, most of the actors get to use their natural accents. I think only Colin O'Donoghue, Georgina Haig, and Sarah Bolger have had to alter theirs significantly. (Why did Aurora need to have an American accent?)

ETA: Oh, and Alan Dale.

Edited by retrograde

The Rite actually started picking up at about the 45-minute mark, about the time Anthony Hopkins showed up, and then a good portion of the movie was Anthony Hopkins and Colin having conversations about the nature of faith, or Anthony Hopkins doing exorcist-type things while Colin reacted. Really, I think the movie was mis-labeled as a horror movie about exorcisms. It really was an exploration of the concept of faith.

Thanks for cluing us in to it being on HBO. I've always meant to watch it, and was able to catch most of it this evening. The subject matter is of interest to me. I don't think anyone knows what to do with subject matter dealing with the dark side of faith. I guess horror makes some sense, but it really is more psychological than visual, I think.

Edited by OnceUponAJen

I'm not a native speaker of English and I kinda envy you guys and your ability to distinguish accents. The most I can do is tell British from American from something else (oh, and I always can tell Russian, although I'm Russian myself and I speak nothing like this). And even if the actor's accent isn't natural I never know.

I often found myself defending Americans while abroad because no one else can tell different accents either and so Americans are often blamed for the ugly behavior of others (not that Americans aren't often truly awful too). I was on a bus in Warsaw once with some truly obnoxious Canadians and heard the person in front of me comment on the annoying Americans. So I then started commenting about how those Canadians were giving Americans a bad name. This sparked a conversation with her about how to tell the difference between the Canadian and American accents. I had no idea how to explain it. If you listen for it on Once, Granny's Canadian comes out a lot and I loved how Canadian both the US TSA agent and the Arizona prison guard were.  

Back on topic, Colin's accent in The Rite would veer decidedly Irish at times and his American was weird in that it had no distinction to it. Like I said, it's just not quite right. I did stick around on the movie long enough to watch him and Anthony Hopkins in the first bout with the possessed girl. A discussion about faith was ultimately going to lead to Colin's character becoming Father What a Waste and I was just kind of bored by it all.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 1

Back on topic, Colin's accent in The Rite would veer decidedly Irish at times and his American was weird in that it had no distinction to it. Like I said, it's just not quite right. 

How did Georgina Haig's American accent sound to you? I live in the US, but I'm Australian, and though I can tell a bad US accent, I can't pick up on fake accents that are just too generic, which is something I have heard others say about non-American actors, too. There are a ton of Australians pretending to be Americans in US TV shows and movies, but I have no idea if they pull it off. 

Incidentally, I sometimes prefer fake American accents than authentic foreign ones with American dialogue. Emelie de Ravin and whoever plays her dad often sound very awkward to me (course, that could be the actors), as did Rose McIver (albeit less so). 

I thought Georgina's accent was fine. I didn't realize that she was Australian until episode 4.05 where her Australian accent came through really strongly in the first scene in the jail. After that, I was more prone to hearing it. But Elsa was from Arendelle, so a generic accent doesn't really bother me since she's from a different world. It's just like Colin's vaguely British accent doesn't bug because he's from some random Enchanted Forest land, not actual England.

One thing about Once is that the accents aren't a big deal because they don't have to be authentic since we have no frame of reference for the Enchanted Forest and its inhabitants' accents. This is completely unlike when I was watching Major Crimes a few weeks ago and a character that was supposed to be a native North Dakotan was speaking with some weirdly southern/western accent. It was just so wrong that I was completely taken out of the scene (as were others since it was a conversation on this site's episode topic for the show). So in other roles where actors are playing character from real places like Colin's in The Rite, the accents bother me a lot more when they're off than on this show.

• Love 1

I can't imagine his truly difficult it must be to maintain a foreign accent in a believable way. I was always impressed with Hugh Laurie's accent in House M.D. (particularly with all the medical terminology), but there were times when his native accent came through as well.

I did hear Colin's slip a few times in The Rite, and agree that it was generic American-sounding. However, if I didn't know that his native accent was Irish, I might not have spotted it. Georgina Haig, I thought had a beautiful speaking voice on Once.

I sing, so I often focus on how melodious a voice sounds. For instance, my choir director told me that she knew I was a singer just from speaking with me on the telephone. I know Colin sings from posts on Twitter and such; his speakng voice is very pleasant and I imagine that it translates very well into song.

Sorry, these are just my random observations!

Why did Aurora need to have an American accent?

Especially since

Sebastian Roche has a British accent and they cast him as her father

Once never really gave a hoot about continuity when it comes to accents.  The Stiltskin family comes to mind.

Regarding the whole Canadian vs American accents.  I'm Canadian and from Quebec where the primary language is French (but grew up in Montreal where you can switch between French and English in one conversation like 50 times), so the whole accent is especially true when it comes to the province of Quebec.  That being said, the words we are made fun of for (like pronouncing it aboot instead of about) are simply not true!

I was on the subway sometime ago coming back from the movies with Mr. Yadda (who happens to be part American and part Canadian) when I overheard these two people talking about "Orphan Black".  So the guy is telling the girl how he really enjoys the show and how it's a Canadian series.  The girl replies if they speak Canadian on the show.

On top of being sort of insulted by that, I still to this day don't understand what the hell that meant.

For you Netflixians looking for a Sheriff Skinnyjeans (or Agent Scully) fix- the second season of 'The Fall' is now streaming. Jamie is still a pretty effective as creepy sexual serial killer, and Gillian Anderson is all kinds of awesome as DI Stella Gibson.

• Love 3

And I love Colin Morgan, because Merlin, you know...he's going to be on.  Ok, I might cry.  And since there's no way I'm ever going to go see 50 Shades of Grey (or the end of literature), then The Fall is just fine.

Edited by YaddaYadda

Meghan Ory auditioned for the role of Alex (Kara's foster sister) in the new CBS "Supergirl" show. Here's a video of her audition.

Apparently, Elizabeth Lail auditioned for the lead role of Supergirl. She and the casting director followed each other on Twitter recently (he does lots of filmed in Canada shows - not OUAT though) and she also followed the CBS account. It doesn't mean anything, of course, except that she most likely auditioned for the role. There are a bunch of audition videos of Kara online if you're interested in the project.

I want the actress to find something, but I wish they would use her on "Once" instead.  If they had Red be Snow's deputy mayor and they together solve the problems of the town's governance as a C plot for a few episodes by cutting out Will and those scenes of Snow with Regina.  Of course, Snow/Emma should have been first priority but if they're not going to do that, at least this would have been entertaining.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

Oh, this is almost a "so bad it's good" type of show (they even had their own Henry, but even more annoying, if it's possible). But it still had a few elements I liked, like Lisa Vandervoot's character, and I was almost sad it was canceled.

I don't remember OUAT actors in it though, except for Mitchell and the guy who played the terrorist and Blackbeard.

I considered it to be a popcorn type of show, nothing deep but an enjoyable diversion.  I liked it much more than similar series like "Revolution" or "Under the Dome".  The characters weren't deep in "V" but at least they seemed to act consistently. I liked Elizabeth Mitchell's character.  

Edited by Camera One

Oh, it was definitely much better than those shows. I dropped Revolution after episode 4, and I'm still glad I did. The worst thing about "V" was the heavy-handed "Humans are special! They have souls! Aliens envy them!" stuff which soon became absolutely unwatchable. Some of the characters, including the heroine, also felt pretty ruthless for network TV at times - I definitely got a feeling some of the writing staff were kinda right wing.

I saw Granny, Hansel & Gretel's dad,  the "kiss my boot" guy, Cora's right-hand man, Blue Fairy. I'm sure there are others.

Oh, I already don't remember how any of them look like (except for Granny and Blue Fairy, they appear often enough). My memory for faces is really atrocious.