Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Lands/Roles

• Start Topic

Sometimes, I wonder if he has second thoughts about taking the role.  Every time I see something related to it, I go into a "why, Jamie Dornan, why?" because he's really good in The Fall.  I also think that 50 Shades should never have been made into a movie.

• Love 4
Every time I see something related to it, I go into a "why, Jamie Dornan, why?" because he's really good in The Fall.

I have to imagine the role came with a pretty fair paycheck, especially after the first actor dropped out. Jamie's a young dad with a sweet little family to support....not to mention he's getting top billing in a feature film that's probably going to do pretty well just based on the sales of the book...as awful as that book is. Even when the movie sucks, If he can bring the role the kind of sociopathic intensity he brought The Fall, it could be a big upsell for him in bigger, better roles.  

I have to imagine the role came with a pretty fair paycheck, especially after the first actor dropped out. Jamie's a young dad with a sweet little family to support....not to mention he's getting top billing in a feature film that's probably going to do pretty well just based on the sales of the book...as awful as that book is. Even when the movie sucks, If he can bring the role the kind of sociopathic intensity he brought The Fall, it could be a big upsell for him in bigger, better roles.  

I read the Hollywood Reporter review of the movie (which wasn't bad, actually) and they seemed way more impressed with Dakota than with Jamie. I think he will be unfavourably compared to his co-star if she committed and he didn't, but he will nonetheless get many more offers from this.

Edited by Serena

I just finished reading a review - a really negative one of the movie overall - that said he might have been better if they had let him use his natural accent. 

...or if they had let him keep his scruff. [/shallow]

• Love 3
...or if they had let him keep his scruff. [/shallow]

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Scruffs are sexy.

Also, I'm assuming he is contracted for all 3 movies, right?  

One of my friends is a huge Twilight and 50 shades fan.  She even went as far as to compare Twilight to HP.  I wanted to smack her.

• Love 1

I just realized Elizabeth Mitchell was in a season 1 episode of House, so her and Jennifer Morrison had worked together before.

ETA: I'm so bored. I need Once back.

I looked her up when she appear on Once because I could think where I remembered her from. It was that episode of House, she was a nun, I can even remember what she suffered from!

I looked her up when she appear on Once because I could think where I remembered her from. It was that episode of House, she was a nun, I can even remember what she suffered from!

I remember that episode! I think she had

a copper IUD, a holdover from "civilian" life

Edited by OnceUponAJen

OK, I have to post the lead from that Variety article because Souris is right. It's awesome!

If the problem with too many literary adaptations is a failure to capture the author’s voice, then that shortcoming turns out to be the single greatest virtue of “Fifty Shades of Grey,” the hotly anticipated first film inspired by E.L. James’ bestselling assault on sexual mores, good taste and the English language.

And also from that article, it's going to be on 75 IMAX screens? Why? I mean, Jamie Dornan is hot and I miss him as Graham, but I don't need to see him on a five-story-tall screen.

• Love 2

But see, that was Titanic. There were big effects, sweeping landscapes, a big huge boat sinking. I wouldn't mind seeing that considering the detail put into what it looked like. But does anyone want to see a bondage dungeon in IMAX? ;) 

• Love 3

One of my friends is a huge Twilight and 50 shades fan.  She even went as far as to compare Twilight to HP.  I wanted to smack her.

Horrified grasp!!! That's literature blasphemy!!!! Twilight is one of the very few books I closed after reading 50 pages and never went back.

The movie was out two days ago here in France. Press reviews are negative (well, "serious" newspapers ones), both about the movie and the acting. Public reviews are, globally, rather positive, more positive about the adaptation of the book than about the acting, though.

Quote from the review of TF1 (major TV broadcaster in France): "Sam Taylor-Johnson, having seen the evident complicity between Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson during the filming, was sure that the nice banter between them off-screen was going to rock and that their getting along was going to show on screen" (translation is mine and I hope you can understand at least the meaning...). I thought they couldn't stand each other? 

It's interesting that in France it's rated -12, meaning that it's ok for people older than 12 years old. In the UK, Ireland, Brazil and New Zealand it's -18 (and not even R, minors can't see it. Full stop).

Also, they announced 20 minutes of sex scenes and, apparently, there are 11 minutes. I wonder whether the French copy has been cut.

Huh, the French catch phrase on the posters is, prepare yourselves, "let go"! I facepalmed.

It's interesting that in France it's rated -12, meaning that it's ok for people older than 12 years old.

Let's show all twelve year old girls what a relationship should look like.  I cannot deal with this on any level.  

I did read that Jamie Dornan doesn't seem too hot about doing the sequels and that they might already have his replacement lined up.

Horrified grasp!!! That's literature blasphemy!!!! Twilight is one of the very few books I closed after reading 50 pages and never went back.

It's not like JK Rowling is a great author as per that book Casual Vacancy that she wrote which was absolutely horrid.  But the world she created was pretty awesome and I wish I had her imagination to come up with something like that.  I never picked up the Twilight books to be honest, read synopsis and had a lot of discussions with my friends and I was all set to actually start reading them to see what they were all about until my cousin who was 18 at the time had me sit with her for the first movie and she kept going on about how hot Robert Pattinson is (he's absolutely not!) and I was done with the whole thing when his character started sparkling under the sun.  I was like I love you but I'm going away now.  Never mind the terrible acting.  

I am so over vampires.  They are so 1990 anyway ;)

Let's show all twelve year old girls what a relationship should look like.  I cannot deal with this on any level.  

I had some middle school girls tell me they were excited to see the movie.  I said, "Are you serious?"  They said, "We hear all about that stuff out in the halls at school."  Which they do but I doubt it's the bdsm stuff but who knows.  I told them, "It's different that you don't need to see it.  You don't have to grow up so early."  Then one admitted to reading the books.  I just dropped it after that because it's all their parents' decision.

We also had a 6th grade teacher that had to tell a kid they couldn't read the book in class.  The kids are reading their parent's books, and the parents will probably be buying the movie tickets too.  Especially if they go to the big movie theater in the area because they're strict about checking IDs on this type of stuff.

Edited by Stuffy

Meh, it doesn't really matter if they see it in theaters or not. 12 year olds today know how to use the Internet. If they don't see it now at the cinema, they're gonna see it in a couple of months when the DVD comes out and they download it illegally.

A review:

Chemistry is also a concern in “Fifty Shades of Grey,” finding Dornan going full robot as Christian, mistaking blankness for concentration, creating a character with no appealing qualities besides his physical appearance (the Irish actor also misfires with his chewy American accent).

Poor Jamie. Unpopular opinion, but I never found him that great as Graham.

• Love 3

A review:

Poor Jamie. Unpopular opinion, but I never found him that great as Graham.

I don't know that it's an unpopular opinion.  I didn't think he was all either.  My outrage over Graham comes from other things that have been discussed and then beaten to death...several times.

I think he's pretty good in The Fall though.  It just seems to me that he might have been uncomfortable in the role.

Edited by YaddaYadda

Joanna Garcia Swisher, Michael Raymond James and Scott Michael Foster are all attached to fall pilots. Won't know if any of them are picked up for series until May.

Edited by Souris

I'm not very interested in Pilots this season. Except the one where King Henry from Reign trains some cheerleaders to be super spies, of course.

Edited by Serena

While cleaning out/purging my house, I came across an old issue of an entertainment magazine (either TV Guide or Entertainment Weekly) with the cast of House on the cover. Wow, it was weird seeing Jennifer Morrison as a brunette. And she doesn't seem to have aged a day since then.

I didn't like iZombie as much as I thought I would. It was OK, but it felt more to me like Rob Thomas was ripping too much off himself/Veronica Mars. I'll give it a few more eps to see how it develops.

So "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" (love this movie) has been on ABC Family this week. I just realized Kristin Bauer van Straten plays one of the mean girls.

And a bit late, but I caught Merrin Dungey in an old Seinfeld rerun a while back. She plays a Brentano's cashier in "The Bookstore" episode. She looked stunning.

I was ignoring an episode of Hawaii 5-0 OnDemand this afternoon, and "Archie" showed up as an evil CIA agent. He was trying to do some other accent, but I'm not sure how successful it was. I was reading the newspaper and didn't have my glasses on, so when I heard his voice I had to put my glasses on to see who it was and place him.

And Anastasia Griffith (Abigail/Kathryn) showed up on Elementary this week as one of Sherlock's "irregulars," a scientist he apparently has rather acrobatic sex with when they get together (he was removing breakables in preparation for her arrival). Of course, when she arrived, all we saw was her being rather cool and professional (and using her real accent).