Type keyword(s) to search

Welcome to Plathville in the Media: All The Articles About Them They'll Never Read

Message added by CountryGirl,

Body shaming posts are against the site rules and posts have been removed accordingly. Please review the Inclusion Policy

• Start Topic

On 8/20/2022 at 6:12 PM, Gharlane said:

Welcome To Plathville: Cringiest Parts Of The Plath Family Documentary

Part of the above article:  "One thing that Kim has been criticized for is how she parentified her older children and passed most of the housework and child care off on the older Plath kids. So it’s extra cringey to hear her joke about how Hosanna and the other children “do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry.” In this video it’s pretty clear that second-oldest Plath sibling Hosanna was doing the lion’s share of the work around the house, and indicates that underneath the rosy exterior portrayed in the documentary lies a toxic family dynamic."

And that, Ladies and Gents, is probably why Hosanna happily avoided all association with TLC's Plathville series.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Part of the above article:  "One thing that Kim has been criticized for is how she parentified her older children and passed most of the housework and child care off on the older Plath kids. So it’s extra cringey to hear her joke about how Hosanna and the other children “do all the cooking, cleaning, laundry.” In this video it’s pretty clear that second-oldest Plath sibling Hosanna was doing the lion’s share of the work around the house, and indicates that underneath the rosy exterior portrayed in the documentary lies a toxic family dynamic."

And that, Ladies and Gents, is probably why Hosanna happily avoided all association with TLC's Plathville series.

Hosanna is virtually absent from social media despite having a musical ministry with her husband. She has one child, could have a second by now, but again, I am not aware of any social media for her. 

4 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Did Kim become religious before or after her previous (1991) DUI? 

After. I believe she said she was in college when she got her first DUI. I don't know exactly when she found religion, but she was religious enough to marry Barry. He's always been a teetotaler.

Well, this is sad news.

https://people.com/tv/olivia-plath-15-year-old-brother-micah-meggs-dead-cycling-accident/

Olivia Plath is mourning the loss of her 15-year-old brother.

The Welcome to Plathville wife's younger brother Micah Meggs was struck by a car while riding an electric bike on Thursday in Franklin County, Virginia, according to local news outlet The Roanoke Times.

Plath, 25, who is married to Ethan Plath, has not publicly commented on her brother's death, past posting she'd be taking a social media break following "a family death," the Daily Mail reported.

Meggs' obituary speaks of some of the 15-year-old's hobbies and best qualities. "Micah enjoyed spending his time outdoors hunting, fishing, camping and trapping, and became a skilled outdoorsman. He enjoyed displaying his trophies and making video tutorials to teach others how to enjoy the life he loved," it read.

Further details state that Meggs loved spending time with his nine siblings. "Micah loved to hang out with his siblings and a few close friends, playing practical jokes, sharing his understated sense of humor and bringing laughs to those he loved."

The obituary also stated that Meggs was diagnosed with "Cerebral Palsy caused by a Brachial Plexus injury" which "made it difficult for him to do the things he enjoyed so much."

"Despite the physical difficulties he experienced, Micah never complained or let himself be limited by his disability and continually found ways to pursue his outdoor activities despite this struggle," the in memoriam post noted.

Meggs leaves behind nine siblings, including Olivia, and his parents Don and Karen Meggs, grandmothers Juanita Meggs and Jerry Boyer, and a handful of nieces and nephews.

• Sad 5

Sadly my first thought was, "was he wearing a helmet" because these electric bikes are hella scary right now. Kids are running around streets on them, darting into traffic, etc. and they're going really fast. And most aren't wearing helmets, and a lot of kids I see are just wearing flip flops while riding them. It's not a good situation.

• Like 2

"Let's make it all about me."  It would appear that someone is trying to get their 15 minutes by claiming to be traumatized by the documentary, "Shiny Happy People".  

• Like 3

I listened to the IG live stream that Olivia did with her sister, Lydia. It was sort of unfocused and meandering, but I was able to pick out a few points:

Olivia is a year and a half older than her sister, Lydia. Both sisters agree that Olivia was parentified.

The girls were not close growing up because the parents pitted them against each other. Lydia was rebellious so the parents had Olivia spy on her. Lydia had a cell phone that she wasn’t supposed to have and Olivia ratted her out.

Olivia had two pairs of pants growing up. One was a pair of corduroys that she was told to wear to tend to the animals in the barn. She used to have an intense fear that the pastor who lived nearby would see her wearing them and that he would admonish her from the pulpit.

Neither girl is in touch with their parents and they are not allowed to talk to their younger siblings. They did get to talk to them at their brother’s funeral.

Olivia met Ethan and the Plaths at a conference given by the Pearls. She thought he was cute. Although she had begun wearing pants and shorter skirts, she gave that up and reverted back to long skirts and modest wear once she and Ethan started “dating.” She hated the word “courtship” and would tell people that she and Ethan were dating.

The girls grew up with a controlling and domineering father and Olivia vowed to never go back to that, so when she met the Plaths, she thought Barry was so laid back that things would be different. She never considered the controlling and domineering mother. Lydia said she felt their mother was the more domineering and controlling one and that Olivia didn’t see that because she knew how to “play the game” with their mom.

Olivia said that all her siblings (other than Lydia) “went back” to her parents, and all the Plath kids also went back so I’m guessing that includes the brother that lived with her. She never mentioned if she and Ethan are still together.

Olivia said that just because someone changes their outside appearance by wearing shorter skirts or getting piercings, they can still have the same beliefs. She is no longer Christian but considers herself spiritual.

She never quite said what was so triggering about the Duggar doc, but seemed to allude to Jill’s situation with TLC. She frequently said she wasn’t able to talk about certain things but would like to write a book or do a podcast with her sister.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
On 7/12/2023 at 9:27 PM, Madding crowd said:

I follow Olivia on Instagram and she is once again traveling through Europe. I wonder where she gets the money to do this because she only appears to work sporadically. 

Depending on what she’s doing, some gigs pay for travel.

That is all I have.

She is a wedding photographer and on Instagram she said she does around 15 a year.  She also said she photographs regular couples so she isn’t traveling the world on that. Recently she did a question and answer thing so her “fans” could find out things like where she will travel next (Portugal) her favorite foods etc. She won’t say if she is still with Ethan but she is considering a podcast and appearances to meet her fans. I pretty much think her 15 minutes of fan will be over soon.

• Like 2

I am just now watching season 4. What alternate universe am I in??  Kim is totally rewriting her and Barry's story. Barry was anti-drinking?? But Kim YOU said you didn't drink because your mom was an alcoholic. Why aren't the producers adding that into these episodes?? And the idea that Barry was lording over the whole family is laughable. We watched for years a Kim decided everything and told Barry what to think, say and how to act. She made the choices that made her so unhappy. 

Also, she's lost weight but what is up with her wearing all of that short skirts/skorts????? Her legs might be the shapeliest part of her body but they aren't amazing. And for the love of "Father" why does she do her makeup the way she does. Putting lipstick outside of her lips, wrong colors, bizarre concealer over her eyes, etc. What. The. Heck. 

And Ethan and Olivia. They are wounded products from the homes they were raised in. They weren't mature enough when they got married, didn't know each other, have so much they need to fix and nurture within themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Moriah sure has turned into a self righteous brat. She would make more money with an Only Fans page than she ever will with her wispy singing voice.  Her 180 on Olivia shows how immature she really is.

• Like 4
On 10/24/2022 at 7:29 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

After. I believe she said she was in college when she got her first DUI. I don't know exactly when she found religion, but she was religious enough to marry Barry. He's always been a teetotaler.

I wonder if that is part of the reason she married him. I went to about a year of Al-anon meetings because of my alcoholic aunt. There were discussions about geographic cures and dry drunks. If being married —and a lot of pregnancies—stopped her drinking, then it isn’t surprising her drinking issues resurfaced after leaving him. 

• Useful 3

I watched the documentary, happy, shiny people, and it was absolutely frightening. These Fundy beliefs swept through the south and other parts of the states. I had no idea. Really scary stuff and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Plaths weren’t somehow connected.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
On 8/30/2023 at 9:46 AM, Kendra595 said:

Moriah sure has turned into a self righteous brat. She would make more money with an Only Fans page than she ever will with her wispy singing voice.  Her 180 on Olivia shows how immature she really is.

This is all so true. She’s not a good singer. There’s probably a market for her on OF. The last part is especially true. Real friends can disagree with one another, even on fundamental issues, without severing the friendship. 

• Like 1

I despise Kim and Barry but I don’t like Olivia either. In her own way she is just as overbearing as Kim. If you read her Instagram, she thinks she is a huge star and the only one who gets to make decisions. And even though I can’t stand Kim and Barry their children have a right to love them and have a relationship with them if they choose. Olivia has the right to not see them but she doesn’t get to choose that for Ethan, Moriah or anyone else.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Like 5

Alright, since there's not a S5 thread anywhere, I guess we're talking here. Figure I'll share my thoughts from last night. Warning, it's gonna be long. For some reason, I actually enjoy this shit show. 

First, it's absolutely laughable to me that Barry is taking shots at anyone for "brainwashing" when him and Kim made it a point to warp their children. You've got a teenage daughter who is afraid to text with a boy or even be attracted to him (Lydia last season or maybe season before). You have Mariah who does everything to cry for attention outside of writing a shitty song and singing it badly titled "Pay Attention to Me." You're oldest kid won't even be on your TV show with you, and Ethan is trying to strike a balance between being cordial with you, and being a normal adult. Ol Grinnin' Barry saying that anyone else is a brain washer is laughable. 

Speaking of Barry....why does that man not blink when working out?! Did anybody else see that weird ass close-up of his face when he was staring in the mirror lifting? THE MAN NEVER BLINKED! He's clearly a robot. 

I detest Kim and Barry, let me make that clear. But I also don't think Olivia is totally free from blame here. No, she's under no obligation to have anything to do with her in-laws. Would it make life easier for her husband? Of course. But when you think about the things they've said to/about her ON CAMERA, can you imagine the stuff they've said to/about her OFF CAMERA?! She needs to be adult enough to tell her husband, "You can talk to your family all you want, but I'm not going to." The whole "Will you still talk to me" thing when he was getting ready to go to Cairo (more on that in a moment) was weird. I know Ethan is a man-child, but Olivia needs to decide if she wants to be his wife or his de facto mother; she can't be both. I'm also sick of all her therapy buzzwords. 

Why in the blue hell does Ethan have to spend 10 weeks living in Cairo to work on these cars that have been sitting there for over a year? Obviously, money isn't a problem for them. I'm guessing this show pays some serious bank if you can spend 2 months traveling in Europe. Figure out what parts you need to finish these cars, ORDER THEM ON THE INTERNET, have them shipped to your house, and then spend a weekend (or maybe even a few days) putting them on. My father-in-law is in his 70s and can work on a vehicle faster than Ethan. I'm assuming this whole trip is to generate some drama for this show. God, I hope that's the case. 

Micah and Mariah are every bit as problematic as they've portrayed Olivia to be. "We hate our parents! They gave us a shit education!" "Wait! No, Olivia made us think that way!" No, either your shitty homeschooling education (no, not all home schooling is shitty; but they have all said theirs was) didn't prepare you for the real world (as they said), or you were lying. Also, the whole "Olivia tried to convince us that the way WE were raised wasn't good." Olivia was raised in the same type of family; that's how she wound up bedding down with one of these loons. If you chose to agree with her because you were raised the same way, that was your call, not hers. 

Paraphrasing Model-Boy Micah here, but "When you're friends with someone you don't have to cut ties with them because they do something you disagree with" while him and Mariah are sitting there bragging about cutting ties with Olivia for doing something they disagree with. Mariah, using all of her therapy buzzwords, talks about how it's OK for people you like to not have relationships with people you like was hilarious, when she's literally being pissy because Olivia doesn't have a relationship with Kim and Barry (who don't even have relationships with EACH OTHER). I guess these two learned hypocrisy from two paragons of the art. 

Kim, any mother who is "touched" by her daughter carrying family drama onto Facebook is a self-serving, self-righteous, self-absorbed fucking bitch. Thanks for confirming what we already knew about you. Much appreciated. 

I think that's all.

Edited by JayDub1987
  • Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2

Yeah, this is uncomfortable to watch.  I put all the blame on these parents.  They are cringey to the 10th degree.  The fact that Kim's only explanation of the credit card situation is that she's above explaining anything.  That is problematic.  If she had the use of her grown @ss son's cc she was crossing boundaries and she was the problem.

The father is just, just, just so creepy in such a weird way.  I've seen this non-blinking, non-connected gaze in other very, very conservative families.  

I do think Olivia is in a no win situation.  I think, she is a damaged soul trying her best.  When the whole world around you is crazy, you look like the crazy one.

I have some experience in this as my inlaw family is a crazy conservative dysfunctional closed system.  I can see this family's "black and white" approach to life.  You are either IN the family or you are OUT.  If you talk to Olivia you are OUT.  It's not uncommon for young adults to try to spread their wings then go back to the closed family (circling their wagons against the outside).  I mean it's hard to be a young adult and trying to be yourself without your family helping is even harder.  So you comply and get back in line with the family.

Olivia speaks as someone who has done therapy.  I think her boundaries seem reasonable.  When i was in a similar position with my hubby as she is now with Ethan (regarding contact with his family), i absolutely encouraged him to maintain contact with them even if i was considered "poison".  It was H's therapist who encouraged stronger no contact boundaries and helped us understand the family's disapproval of me was really just a disapproval of my husband growing up and making his own decisions outside parental control.  (Truthfully, my inlaws never really bothered to get to know me.  We only had a handful of interactions.)

Soooo Kim is dating! Lol.  Didn't see that one coming (i'm being very sarcastic)- lololololol. ;) 

• Like 8

Interesting that Kim never actually denied credit-card-gate outright and gave no details why.  Hearing Ethan verify Olivia's version was enough for me.   

I think the Plath kids are extremely hurt by their family's implosion.  Instead of dealing with the pain of the divorce, it's much easier to make Olivia the scapegoat of everything.  Of course, Kim is thrilled by this. 

Barry could barely contain his joy at Kim showing up at the house at Micah and Moriah's request, not knowing of Kim's contempt at having to be in the same room as him.  I'd thought better of Barry lately but no more after his brainwashing comment.  Done.  

Ethan should take note of how he and Olivia got along so beautifully for two months far away from their family.  And yet now he's willingly returning to the belly of the beast for two months to work on his cars?  While Olivia urged him not to go, she never threatened him whatsoever about leaving.  

Olivia is so much better off being away from these people.  It's clear to me that she's gotten some good therapy instructing her how to deal with toxic people like Kim.  Moriah couldn't stop spewing about Olivia and her supposed evil deeds, her somehow-now-haggardish face lighting up as she spoke. 

But once Olivia is no longer around for Moriah and Micah to blame for everything, they will eventually be faced with the hard truths of who truly is the evil in this picture, and that is Kim.  It's coming.  

ezzy4, I wrote my response before reading yours.  Fascinating to me that we shared so many of the same thoughts.  

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I didn't understand the credit card thing. Micah, I think, was saying Ethan and his mom were in some kind of business together? It does sound shady, like his mom was just stealing from him.

I don't like Kim but I don't know if I really like Olivia either. At the whole Joshua grave site scene it seemed like everything had to be about her. I am on the fence about Olivia and Ethan's marriage and whether it will last.

Kim is a horrible person. I think she realizes how much she screwed up her kids with her crazy parenting and how much she sacrificed to raise all these kids and wants her own life back. I have the feeling before long she will be dating every single guy in Cairo.

• Like 3

Kim smirking about “Barry wouldn’t move out” is just appalling. She is all about KIM - she didn’t want to be with the kids, she just wanted to “win” in the divorce. Micah is making money showing off hIs body. Good for you Micah but hardly a conservative thing to do and how dare you crap on Ethan and Olivia. Moriah - you suck too. You contribute nothing to the world. Go eat a cheeseburger you might see the world more clearly if you’re not in a continued anorexic state. God these people are all just awful.

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, applewood said:

Kim is a horrible person. I think she realizes how much she screwed up her kids with her crazy parenting and how much she sacrificed to raise all these kids and wants her own life back. I have the feeling before long she will be dating every single guy in Cairo.

Oh I think Kim had this new relationship lined up before she started talking about divorce.  Wasn't there a real estate guy she was very flirty with?  She's not ever gonna be on her own, responsible for herself.  She got her next meal ticket locked down before letting go of the last one.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ezzy4 said:

Yeah, this is uncomfortable to watch.  I put all the blame on these parents.  They are cringey to the 10th degree.  The fact that Kim's only explanation of the credit card situation is that she's above explaining anything.  That is problematic.  If she had the use of her grown @ss son's cc she was crossing boundaries and she was the problem.

One of the kids, Mariah or Micah, said that Olivia was 'lying' about the credit card because the truth was that it was part of some MLM company that Kim was involved with and she was helping Ethan earn money with it.  Sounds even worse than if Kim was using his card to purchase cheap lip gloss, IMO.  As soon as I heard 'MLM', my spidey sense was tingling.

I suspect that Kim was involved in one of the many MLM scams like Plexus that attract fundies and was using Ethan as one of her 'downlines'.  So, she needed his credit card to make monthly purchases to help her get credit and win merch.  I presume that Ethan was neither consuming nor selling whatever product that Kim was purchasing with his card.

So, despite her denials, Kim was most likely stealing from her son to try to get points from some MLM scheme.

It was laughable when Kim claimed that Barry refused to move out.  She's the one who rented the dance studio with the adjacent apartment.  She's the one who essentially declared that she was done with parenting even though the kids were not all adults and that it was 'her time'.  What did she expect?  Barry seems to be the only one remotely interested in parenting the kids still at home, why wouldn't he stay there with them?

Mariah looked like hell in the talking heads.  Her hair is fried to a crisp and the spackle she's wearing as makeup looks ready to crack.  If I didn't know how old she was, I'd have thought she was a 50'ish chain smoker.  I see her taste in clothing has remained as tacky as ever.

Olivia got on my last nerve, too.  All she does is talk about her 'boundaries' when it seems that her boundaries include everyone else living her way.  If Mariah and Micah choose not to vilify their parents, if they want to maintain a relationship with them; that is not Olivia's business and she needs to leave them alone about it.  It seems she only wants people in her life who allow her to make all decisions and agree with her 100% of the time.  Then, again, so does Kim.

Micah and Mariah seem freaked out by their parents' divorce and I think their fear that everything they've ever known is going away is a big part of them now suddenly thinking Barry and Kim are great.  If I had to choose, Kim is by far the most toxic person in their lives and they'd be better off minimizing contact with her.

I, too, was confused as to why Ethan needed to go back to Cairo for two months to fix up a couple of old cars.  There is virtually nothing that could be wrong with them that would take more than a week or two.  Or, you know, tow the vehicles down to Florida and work on them there.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 6
1 minute ago, Notabug said:

I suspect that Kim was involved in one of the many MLM scams like Plexus that attract fundies and was using Ethan as one of her 'downlines'.  So, she needed his credit card to make monthly purchases to help her get credit and win merch.  I presume that Ethan was neither consuming nor selling whatever product that Kim was purchasing with his card.

This is pretty close to how I took it. Basically, she "signed Ethan up" to sell whatever pyramid shit was popular at the moment, had to place orders for more stuff with a credit card with his name on it, and gave him some "commission" for part of the stuff she sold in his name while earning commission from "his sales" as his "up line." I'd honestly be shocked if the other kids (at least those who are 18) didn't have a card with their name on it that Kim uses for the same thing. The only difference is, none of them want to call her out. 

The fact that Ethan said, "My mom is lying" and Kim said, "I don't need to explain myself" tells me exactly who's full of shit on the card drama.

• Like 9

Did Kim really just say she would like to peace out and only send a postcard once a year? I believe the reason why she hasn't is not the children (as she claimed) but because she is on this ridiculous show. She knows viewers would hang her ass out to dry.

And Barry, your new "guns" don't do anything to distract from your rat face and creepy demeanor.

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5

Ethan going back to Cairo to work on two old cars he's had forever.  Dumb bunny.  Do these cars become highly prized when he's done with them?

Moriah looks terrible.  Ugg.

Kim will just dance herself along.  Barry looks really strange when he lifts.

Olivia is...evil she and Ethan are such a miss matched couple.

Haven't watched yet- its my weekend reward but love reading comments. Grateful Ethan and Olivia haven't started having children yet. They need to put a lot of thought into that because their marriage has been on shaky ground off and on for years. I always had a soft spot for Olivia as she is younger than the Plath parents and had little support in dealing with their poison earlier in her marriage. Might be about time for Olivia and Ethan to admit they aren't a good pair now and leave their marriage amicably. The other possible option is no contact with Ethan's family. If not- it's lather, rinse, repeat in perpetuity. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

I think you all have very clearly articulated my revulsion to what I saw on the season opener!

I am shuddering at Kim and her lack of maternal instincts.  As a quick background, I'm a retired professional with one adult child.  I CANNOT begin to imagine being blessed with so many children and then wake up one day and decide you're done with all of it.  Which child will write the sequel to I'm Glad My Mom Died?

Other than that, they're all pretty creepy.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, albarino said:

I think you all have very clearly articulated my revulsion to what I saw on the season opener!

I am shuddering at Kim and her lack of maternal instincts.  As a quick background, I'm a retired professional with one adult child.  I CANNOT begin to imagine being blessed with so many children and then wake up one day and decide you're done with all of it.  Which child will write the sequel to I'm Glad My Mom Died?

Other than that, they're all pretty creepy.

I first read the last sentence as "crappy." Realized it fits every.single.adult on this show. 

• Wink 1
  • Fire 1

When I grew up Fundie (nothing as extreme as this family), I prayed my parents would divorce. I mean seriously wanted them to split up, as that would divide their united front against me, a normal child, and provide relief from the tyranny of the Fundie faith and lifestyle.  Even as an adult, I think I would have welcomed a divorce for them, Turns out, my parents are still married.  

Olivia seems to have known her husband’s parents were dysfunctional.  In fact, the whole thing is so toxic that arguing, engaging and attempting anything with them would have been futile.  So, stringing out the discord over the years, to me, seems to reflect your instability and dysfunction.  It seems none of them have any maturity or real life skills to overcome squabbles.  I forgave my parents for their mistakes, but it still bothers me when they seem oblivious to it.   I have talked to a therapist before about it.  Everyone has something that they deal with.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 1