Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E17: 6 Chefs Compete

• Start Topic

Scott and Ramsay did get into it about halibut. But Kashia's crimes were worse this time around, she just couldn't cook fish without Scott stepping in to help her. The one time Melanie tried to offer help, she told her to go away... then lied to Ramsay and said that Melanie didn't offer her any help.

• Love 4

My TV went out as Kashia was being eliminated so I never got to really see the reactions. Glad she is gone, she screwed up so much tonight and nobody can ever understand what the hell she is saying. I honestly don't know how she even made it to black jackets...

• Love 1

Scott and Ramsay did get into it about halibut. But Kashia's crimes were worse this time around, she just couldn't cook fish without Scott stepping in to help her. The one time Melanie tried to offer help, she told her to go away... then lied to Ramsay and said that Melanie didn't offer her any help.

She also lied about how many lobster tails Joy asked her to cook. I'm glad I won't have to listen to Kesha blame everybody else for her problems anymore. At the very end I was sort of surprised GR didn't choose Scott, but I'm happy with the decision.

Jason is such a disgusting pig.  I really heard the misogyny tonight and all the man screaming.  And he won after burning the meat?  Honestly, this show sucks on every level.  I don't get why they want us to hate everyone.  Melanie got a good edit tonight.  Joy was a nonentity but stood by her sister, which isn't a great reason to stand by someone.  I don't think I could watch another episode with Kashia.  GR's disappointment with his final six made me laugh because few of them are outstanding in any way. You'd think they'd learn something after last season but I guess that's why the show is on in the summer.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh goodness, I had to mute her several tantrums then was amused how the closed caption interpreted her words. HK had to replay her conversations with Melanie three times and I still don't know what she said when Melanie offered to walk the lobster tails. 

Still, it looked like she was responsible for the lobster tails, halibut and the chicken? 

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 1

Kashia really was unbearable this episode. Her ability to blame anybody but herself is so damn flustrating. Also, the sketchiness of the lying to Ramsay about Melanie and miscounting the lobster tails and then getting yell-y and pouty with the rest of the chefs. I will not miss her incoherent screaming episodes.

Oh Scott. You went through the trouble of getting advice from Andi last week (good move) and did the complete opposite thing this week by melting down at Gordon instead of letting it go like she told you to.

Jason continues to be gross.

• Love 2

Calling Kaysia a water buffalo was a bit much even for Jason.  She was never my favourite but he had some nerve.  Like he's some prize.  Let me guess.  I bet Jason doesn't get laid much, to put it as crudely as he is.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thank goodness MushMouth Kashia finally went home. Joy finally got out voted and couldn't save her. It seems as if the two have truly and sincerely bonded and have gotten quite close during this competition so they are likely remain friends after but I completely agree that, as others have mentioned, Joy's main reason for keeping Kashia around was because she knew she could beat her. I'm interested to see how well Joy does with Kashia gone, especially as she won't have her around to help control the elimination vote anymore.

Kashia bawling her eyes out after some of her mistakes were called out and saying that she didn't "give a fuck" what anyone thought was a bit much and, given her very emotional reaction, she clearly did "give a fuck" about what they thought or what would happen. With the errors and things that she has made throughout this competition it was obvious that she was in way over her head. There is no way she should have gotten a black jacket, though you could pretty much say that about the majority of them. I do think that the fact that she has shown to be incredibly annoying, over emotional, totally unable to take responsibility for her own mistakes (going as far as to basically lie about it to Ramsay), combined with her lack of experience, refinement, expertise and knowledge (she couldn't even say the words "demi-glace" let alone pronounce anything coherently enough to run a kitchen) she was never really considered as a viable candidate to be a head/executive chef at the yet unnamed restaurant.

As for Jason, he can go next. He has proven time and time again that he has absolutely no class, a completely shitty pallet (he didn't get any of the items right in the blind taste test), and just a horrible (not to mention misogynistic) attitude. There is no way I would ever go to a restaurant that he worked at.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 3

I thought Kashia was actually improving but wow, did she just fall apart during this episode.

Something tells me that Scott's attempts to talk back to GR was more to assert his manhood than anything. So weird.

Joy still FTW.

• Love 1

HK had to replay her conversations with Melanie three times and I still don't know what she said when Melanie offered to walk the lobster tails.

The weird thing about Kashia is that You can't understand much of what she's saying  -  UNTIL she gets pissed.  And then she gets bleeped every other word, but I can hear that she doesn't give a fuck about what those fuckers fuckin' think about her.  Cuz she is DONE givin' a fuck.

• Love 5

Still, it looked like she was responsible for the lobster tails, halibut and the chicken?

Rochelle was responsible for the chicken. Kashia only had seafood. Remember Rochelle totally screwing up the slicing of the chicken that one time? :)

Jason was disgusting this episode. I'm guessing he's disgusting all the time, we just got to see more of it last night. Hungover, probably smelling like a trash pile, staggering into the kitchen....it's a wonder Andi didn't go off on him.

• Love 1

I thought Scott would go since he didn't perform well tonight and he talked back to Ramsay but Kashia's elimination didn't bother me. It made me laugh when Kashia said she didn't give a fuck because she clearly did the way she was going on about it. I think the final is Joy against either Jason or Melanie.

Welp. At least Kashia can take solace in going out with the quote of the week, hands down.

"It smells like horse maneuver."

Much as I'm loath to admit it, it's that kind of thing that'll make me... here goes... actually kinda miss her.

Figures that she'd get the boot about half an hour after my own personal epiphany that "You know what? From time to time, this crazy person actually amuses me."

• Love 2

Glad Kashia is gone because I think she should have been eliminated a couple of episodes ago.  Then again, Gabriel outstayed his welcome by about 14 episodes, so what do I know?  I hope Jason has no part in the final.

• Love 4

Agree about Jason. He scares me. He has anger issues, I think. I really hope it is some combination of Joy, Rochelle, or Scott in the finale. I would even take Melanie in the finale over Jason. No way he'd get the job anyway.

• Love 1

Were Jason and Rochelle not giving good shots during eliminations last night?  It looked like they both had blue jackets on, like the editors were dubbing in old footage.

I don't think Joy did Kashia any favors dragging her this close to the finish line, because I think Kashia was the only one who didn't know she didn't have a chance. Of course, Joy didn't come to make friends. Funny how quickly she jumped to that when Joy wasn't standing between her and elimination any more.

I think it's going to be Scott and Joy. Melanie's not that good, Jason would be a harrassment suit waiting to happen at a Cracker Barrel, and Rochelle just doesn't seem to be able to deal with people playing games.

• Love 3
I think it's going to be Scott and Joy.

I've been thinking since last week that Scott would be the Virginia/Bonnie/Petrozza of this season -- the person put up for elimination so many times, either by the other contestants or by Ramsay -- but still kept in the game and dragged to the F2 because Ramsay knows he'll pick the other contestant (Heather/Rock/Christina) over the continuous screw-up.  And him escaping yet another elimination has me thinking that even more.  If Scott gets to the end, his opponent will likely be someone who'll crush him with no problems.

(edited)

I wouldn't.  Despite my theory, Scott's fucked up way too many times.  Much more than Joy, Jason, Rochelle, and Melanie.  The only people he had left to hide behind were Gabriel and Kashia.  And with both of them now gone, he's more or less exposed.  Maybe he could slip past Rochelle and her nerves, but Joy, Jason, or Melanie?  Not a chance unless they really fuck up a service.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 1

That really was the best line of the episode.  And the ONE thing I will miss about Kashia. 

I guess she got her weird mis-pronunciations from whomever named her "Kay-sha"  but spelled it "Ka-Shee-a" .

Welp. At least Kashia can take solace in going out with the quote of the week, hands down.

Much as I'm loath to admit it, it's that kind of thing that'll make me... here goes... actually kinda miss her.

Yes, it's flustrating, isn't it?

• Love 1

The show gets faker and faker. Last week there was the phony calendar press conference. This week was the ridiculous "tail gate" party. I've seen the USC band in action and he had only four pieces.The Trojan band must have at least 300 members.

Then there was the food. I have tailgater friends who live for NY Giants home games - they sure wouldn't be grilling fish.

My pick is for Joy to be a finalist. with maybe Scott or Jason.

(edited)

The show gets faker and faker. Last week there was the phony calendar press conference. This week was the ridiculous "tail gate" party. I've seen the USC band in action and he had only four pieces.The Trojan band must have at least 300 members.

Then there was the food. I have tailgater friends who live for NY Giants home games - they sure wouldn't be grilling fish.

My pick is for Joy to be a finalist. with maybe Scott or Jason.

Jason is an idiot.  Scott is a whiny ass, but of the two of them for some reason I object to him a tiny bit less.  Just a hair, mind you.

Rochelle seems like a nice lady, and a very good cook.  That said, she's probably got no right to be LEADING a kitchen either.  If Ramsay is smart he'd snap her up for a lesser job in one of his kitchens though.  Unlike Jason and Scott she's far from an idiot, she's just not very... leader-like.

Melanie, despite coming off as a total bitch on occasion, seems to be the only real contender other than Joy.  Being strong-minded is not a bad thing in a kitchen, as long as you aren't a total waste of space, like Jason.  They've shown her bragging sure, but at least she's mostly backed it up.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Top Chef Masters had a tailgating challenge (at USC, of all places), and they served some tailgating-improbable foods (Marcus Samuelsson served soup and couscous, Susur Lee served roasted cauliflower, and Jonathan Waxman's taco had bordelaise sauce on it). I'm less bothered by the fact that it's a contrived challenge than the fact that it's someone else's contrived challenge.

Going by the editing, I think Joy has this thing won. For the most part, they don’t show her being drawn into any of the petty bickering going on and I don’t think she has ever had a bad service except maybe at the very beginning. She’s also won a few of the challenges so she has shown she can be creative in the kitchen. She is on track with how past winners have been depicted so the only question for me is who will lose to her in the finale.

Jason has been shown to be a misogynistic pig so there is no way Ramsey is going to let him go near any one of his kitchens. Scott has been given the "You’ve given up" speech far too many times and they showed him talking back to Ramsey so he’s out. If either them is in the final it will be too obvious who the winner is going to be so I think they are both goners sooner than later.

Rochelle and Melanie seem very close in cooking ability. At times they both are prone to zoning out and making stupid mistakes, but they seem to recover quickly and not make any additional errors. Of the two Melanie seems way more confident and assertive so I think she will slide past Rochelle and into the final. I like Rochelle and I am cheering for her to win, but I go back to the episode where they had to design their own menus and she was completely silent and I don’t think Ramsey will be looking favorably on that.

One thing I do appreciate about Melanie is that when things go bad for her, she doesn’t dissolve into tears, unlike the other female contestants this year. That annoys the shit out of me and makes me so happy that boo-hoo Kashia is finally gone.

• Love 2

Rochelle seems like a nice lady, and a very good cook.  That said, she's probably got no right to be LEADING a kitchen either.  If Ramsay is smart he'd snap her up for a lesser job in one of his kitchens though.  Unlike Jason and Scott she's far from an idiot, she's just not very... leader-like.

But don't the winners not even get a "leader" position anymore? Don't they just end up as like a line cook or something? So depending on what the prize is, I doubt Rochelle would have to worry about leading anyone anyway since I don't think they get that kind of position anymore.

Personally, I loved how the "crowd" had signs rooting got various chefs… on a show that hadn't ever aired, was taped months ago, and none of them had ever heard of. 

I'm sure producers probably handed out pre-made signs to them and told certain groups to root for this contestant or that contestant, etc.

I like Rochelle and I am cheering for her to win, but I go back to the episode where they had to design their own menus and she was completely silent and I don’t think Ramsey will be looking favorably on that.

I remember that too. That's the only thing I see preventing Rochelle from winning. She doesn't seem to want to be involved in creating a menu, which of course they do for the final challenge.

But don't the winners not even get a "leader" position anymore? Don't they just end up as like a line cook or something? So depending on what the prize is, I doubt Rochelle would have to worry about leading anyone anyway since I don't think they get that kind of position anymore.

Other than like.. Season 1 and 2 they never really did.  That said, the show's tried to dig itself out of that groove a bit lately.  Season 10's winner, Christina Wilson, for example, is now Head Chef at Gordon Ramsay BurGR in Las Vegas. 

https://fb101.com/2014/03/gordon-ramsay-burgr-welcomes-new-executive-chef/

And the next season the show got burned bad by the mess with Ja'Nel Witt (who won, then failed a drug test).  But if she hadn't, she was actually a second winner in a row recently who might have stood a chance of actually getting a decent job at the Ramsay Group.

Not saying even the best of the sad crop this year would.  Just that it seems like the show, while still casting mostly idiots, has tended more to make sure there are 1 or 2 actual qualified people hidden in there in recent history, and someone who's basically new to restaurant service TOTALLY is more like... well... Season 4 winner Christina Machamer (who was only a recent culinary graduate when she won--and who turned out to be... a decent sous chef for Ramsay for like a year or two, then left).  

• Love 1

And the next season the show got burned bad by the mess with Ja'Nel Witt (who won, then failed a drug test).  But if she hadn't, she was actually a second winner in a row recently who might have stood a chance of actually getting a decent job at the Ramsay Group.

What blew my mind was that they let her keep the $250,000.

I'm still rooting for Rochelle--I really hope GR has the smarts to see that she could have a pretty decent future in one of his kitchens, if he gives her a chance. 

Flustrating.  Horse maneuver. Ready to prounce. Madder than a wet ham.   Reality shows have really taught me a lot about vocabulary and idioms.  

• Love 4

>>What blew my mind was that they let her keep the $250,000.

My guess is that that had more to do with avoiding litigation than anything else. I'm also thinking they've rewritten their contestant contract for this season.

Scott's ill-timed assertion of manhood was just funny. "I'm going to get really angry." Jason's just a pig in so many ways. Melanie is delusional; well, most are to a point, but she's the worst now that Anton and Gabriel are gone. I'm thinking Joy vs. Rochelle with Joy winning it all.

So, for the supporting chefs for the final two, who'd you pick? I think I'd go w/Richard for a choice, if he's amongst the returnees.

So, for the supporting chefs for the final two, who'd you pick? I think I'd go w/Richard for a choice, if he's amongst the returnees.

You just KNOW Ramsay will bring back delusional Anton, just to see if he screws up on purpose since he's a sore loser.

I agree.  I liked Richard when he was on the show and I saw a lengthy interview with him after he was eliminated and liked him a lot.  He came across as a nice, decent guy in real life with years of cooking experience.

I never bet on the producers resisting cheap irony (in the Alanis Morissette sense). If Joy makes it to the end, I'm pretty sure she's going to be offered the opportunity to put her money where her mouth is on the Kashia front.

I didn't think Scott was trying to mouth off to Gordon, I thought he was trying to speak up. If you don't speak assertively, you get yelled at by GR, if you do, you are mouthing off. I actually think GR has it in for Scott for some reason. I don't think he is a great Chef or anything, but he seems to try to help a lot and gets yelled at constantly.

Jason is horrible and I really hope he is the next to go followed by Melanie. She thinks she is on top of the pack when she makes stupid mistakes, and she has no leadership skills. Rochelle is too quiet and Gordon just won't like that in the finale. I'm guessing it will be Scott and Joy and either could win as far as I'm concerned. 

• Love 3