Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E17: 6 Chefs Compete

• Start Topic

Then there was the food. I have tailgater friends who live for NY Giants home games - they sure wouldn't be grilling fish.

I have NY Giants season tickets, we consider the tailgate an important part of the whole game experience.  We've grilled fish plenty of times and we're not the only ones.  While most people think of burgers or perhaps steaks at a tailgate plenty of people use the occasion to get creative.

I have been to many a college football game tail gate. The students tend to stick to the basics but the Alum go all out and all sorts of food is cooked. At Michigan State University I have seen generators brought out to power air hockey tables, couches, recliners and some insane food spreads. So I have no problem with that element of the challenge.

I doubt it was a real tailgate but the idea was create a good sandwich that tailgaters would like. It is similar to a food truck challenge or create a lunch for group of school kids. Essentially, it was a limited time to create something good for a specific group of people. No biggie.

• Love 3
(edited)

The students tend to stick to the basics but the Alum go all out and all sorts of food is cooked. At Michigan State University I have seen generators brought out to power air hockey tables, couches, recliners and some insane food spreads. So I have no problem with that element of the challenge.

ProfCrash I'm a Michigan State Alum myself and have done my share of tailgating since graduation (even though I'm now in Southern CA I go back a couple of times a year for some of the games) and what you're saying is exactly what I've experienced.

I think with this particular challenge it was more about making something in sandwich form that a tailgater could actually eat while standing up, moving around, etc. So while you may not find, for example, a seared tuna sandwich at a tailgate, that wasn't really what was important.

Edited by Rapunzel

I loved that list!  Every one of those annoys me.  I would add one of my own pet peeves:  the frequently seen use of "hysterical"  when what the speaker really means is "hilarious."

(edited)

Ugh, a list of animated gifs. 

Anyway, my French professor would tell you that it's not "meem" it's meme like "men" although my computer isn't set up to add the accent on the first e.

I'd add "wa-la" to the list.  It's voila (vwa-la). While I'm on a French rant crepes sounds like "get" not "grapes".  But I don't expect Americans to change that up, I'm just looked at strangely when I pronounce it that way.

What's even worse about flustrated is when a fourth syllable is added:  flus-ter-ate-ed.  And yes, conversate is cringeworthy.  I've actually heard people say "we were conversating". There's also commentator when it should probably just be commenter, but apparently commentator is an actual word.  Worst of all, imho  is "I seen".  But I think I've almost eliminated "a whole nother" out of my vocabulary LOL.  Now, for "actually.".

Edited by QuelleC

I had to wait until Fox unlocked the episode for the broadcast viewers to watch, so I'm late to the party.  I really need to learn how to access You Tube. 

As for Keisha, or however her name is spelled, I wonder if she has a bit of a hearing loss that was present from an early age but never diagnosed.  I have a niece who was born with partial hearing and no one except her parents or close relatives could understand her very well.  Everyone assumed it was because she was an only child and was the result of a difficult pregnancy, so she was doted on and no one wanted to push her to talk more clearly.  For the most part, people expect a young child to mispronounce words, and while some people just expect the mispronunciations to work out over time, other people just find it adorable.

Things came to a head when the girl was exhibiting signs of frustration and acting out.  Her parents put her in a preschool, thinking that she needed more time with children her own age, and after only a week the preschool teacher called her parents in to advise them to have her hearing tested.  Long story shortened a bit and the parents found out she had a hearing deficit.

There's another problem with children who can't hear well.  My niece is close in age to Keisha, and her parents had pretty good insurance, but found that most insurance companies don't cover hearing aids for children who can at least hear to a certain level.  Basically, if they can hear a loud fire alarm or someone shouting at them from a close distance, hearing aids were to be paid for by the parents.  That meant that my niece's parents had to pay $2,000 out of pocket for her hearing aids, and those things have to be replaced about every other year in a growing child.  The speech therapy may or may not be covered by insurance, and most public schools try to help but don't have the funds to do what needs to be done in a severe case.

If Keisha has a hearing loss, and doesn't come from a middle income or above family, she may have a hearing problem that has never been diagnosed.  Even if she was diagnosed, her family may have never been able to get her the proper help.