Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Fake Bacon and a Plan to Kill All of Us

Harvey

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

Air date: 10/24/19

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

Following the sudden death of a friend, Christy and Bonnie look for ways to honor her memory.

Oh my.  So one of the regulars, or someone we've never heard of before?

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh my.  So one of the regulars, or someone we've never heard of before?

I think it might be Regina because among the listed guest actors there is a guard. I don't think it's one of the main characters .

14 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I think it might be Regina because among the listed guest actors there is a guard. I don't think it's one of the main characters .

Why would that point to Regina? 

So, it was Mary who died. So sudden, terrible.

I loved that we finally got a good Wendy scene. I like that it was Bonnie who went to see her.

I love that Jill held Mary's memorial - I thought it was funny that she picked all the things she would want for hers.

Of course Bonnie made Mary's death all about her. 

• Love 9

I enjoyed the Bonnie and Wendy scene and how Bonnie stood up for Wendy when Christie started talking over her. Hopefully the rest of the group will follow suit. I also hope we continue to learn more about Wendy. 

I wonder if this episode will make Christie realize that she might be better suited being a social worker, rather than a lawyer, if she truly wants to help people. 

Poor, Mary. I was sad to see the actress go. I wonder if we'll see more of her daughter?

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

IPoor, Mary. I was sad to see the actress go. I wonder if we'll see more of her daughter?

I hope so. Lauren Weedman is a fantastic actress. I like Kate Miccuci, but I'd much rather see Mary's daughter show up in future episodes than her.

• Love 6

RIP Mary. 

I know this wasn't the main storyline, but I'm loving Paget Brewster as Christy's boss. Part of me wants Christy to get her into AA and part of me wants her to continue to be the psychotic hot mess that she is (and a tiny part wants to see her and chef Rudy hook up😂😂😂)

• Love 7

Good episode - definitely felt as if someone in the writers room has been lurking here 😁

We got a real Wendy plot and can add a couple of things to her bio. What I really liked was that it felt natural and not forced. I wonder how much of Bonnie's new attitude will last beyond this episode. That said she's definitely a better person than she was in S1 but I don't think such dramatic changes in her get-up will last. I wish some of her new attitude towards Wendy would, though I'm not holding my breath.

I wonder if Jill goes through with her plans for 'It's Your Funeral' - it sounds like a good idea and it would give her something to do. 

I liked the reality check Christy's boss delivered. Did she really enter law school assuming she would only get Petrocelli (dating myself here) cases? But she must have been good in court since she won despite boss lady's predictions. So she's good at it but doesn't like some aspects of the job (welcome to the real world Christy). It will be interesting to see if she pulls through or quits.

Also: folks, don't mess with Marjorie's bacon!

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, mammaM said:

RIP Mary. 

I know this wasn't the main storyline, but I'm loving Paget Brewster as Christy's boss. Part of me wants Christy to get her into AA and part of me wants her to continue to be the psychotic hot mess that she is (and a tiny part wants to see her and chef Rudy hook up😂😂😂)

So far all scenes with the boss are gold. I love it when she continuously screams Christy's name until she finally comes in 😄 I hope she sticks around for a couple of more episodes.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mammaM said:

RIP Mary. 

Now I am remembering the episode where Bonnie and Chef Rudy hooked up and how hilarious that was.  This has the same potential to crash and burn so so hard. 

I keep thinking Paget Brewster would make an awesome addition to the cast even if it was just short run.   The hot mess who can’t adapt to the sober life.  

Christy went into law wanting to help the downtrodden.  I don’t think it really occurred to her that even the downtrodden could be guilty.  That those might actually be the ones who need a good lawyer most.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

I thought Christy was justified in telling her boss that Stink wasn't a worthy choice for pro bono representation.

She wasn't arguing that he should have to appear in court without a lawyer, or that he should found guilty without a trial. She was talking about whether he should be one of the tiny handful of defendants who gets represented by a large firm for free. Why not find a better candidate?

I don't see why Stink should get that kind of break just because someone at the firm was friends with one of his relatives.

• Love 4

Finally we got something with Wendy. I mean there was the Christmas episode from last episode when we started getting some insight into her family. The same could be said about the episode of when Christy was really ill (Not the one when she acted like a child) and was sent to the emergency room. I hope we get more development and insight into Wendy. It's great that the writers even saw that there was mystery surrounding her.

As for the other plots, I chuckled at the bits with Tammy and Marjorie. It was a bit over-the-top but I think was the point.

• Love 6

One thing this show does really well is tackle somber issues without abandoning the comedy. Mary's death affected everyone in a different way and we got some much-needed character development for Wendy out of it. Boy, I know how she feels, being part of a group that people sort of take for granted and don't really seem that interested in personally. Hopefully the show can continue to develop her character a little bit. This has been my main gripe for a few seasons, ever since Wendy, Jill and Marjorie's pictures were added to the opening title sequence. They're sort of selling the show as an ensemble but those three characters need more screen time to justify it. They're doing better so far this season.

I love Bonnie trying to be nice and everyone - including herself - not knowing quite what to make of it. I don't expect it to last though. Not even past this episode.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

But she must have been good in court since she won despite boss lady's predictions.

Question: Can Christy actually represent someone in court? She is not a lawyer! She is a law student (first year, I believe) who has definitely not passed the bar (no pun intended). It would be one thing if her boss was actually appearing in court while Christy did all the work, but it seems like Christy was the only one in court. Isn't "representing yourself as a lawyer when you are not one" a crime???? Christy isn't even a paralegal!!! If Stink had lost, he would've had grounds for appeal and Christy and possibly even her boss would get into legal trouble too.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Question: Can Christy actually represent someone in court? She is not a lawyer! She is a law student (first year, I believe) who has definitely not passed the bar (no pun intended). It would be one thing if her boss was actually appearing in court while Christy did all the work, but it seems like Christy was the only one in court. Isn't "representing yourself as a lawyer when you are not one" a crime???? Christy isn't even a paralegal!!! If Stink had lost, he would've had grounds for appeal and Christy and possibly even her boss would get into legal trouble too.

She can if her boss is sitting right next to her in the courtroom. (Learned from Legally Blonde, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.)

• Love 5

Christy would definitely not be able to represent someone independently. Stink was the boss's client, though - it counted toward her pro bono hours.

Christy was doing all the gruntwork, but i'm sure her boss appeared in court in an official capacity when necessary.

• Love 3

Now I am remembering the episode where Bonnie and Chef Rudy hooked up and how hilarious that was.  

The scene where Bonnie wrecked his house, which turned him on, is one of the best things from the early seasons.

As for Present Day Bonnie, i think having her try to be nice is a smart idea: she's several years into her sobriety (lapse notwithstanding), and has to be maturing and moving on, in her Bonnie way. Which is why it was also touching, and smart, to show Tammy, who is fresh in her sobriety, have to deal with death (and fear for Marjorie) the way a child would.

Evil Boss is so evil, it has to be working on Christy's sobriety. She's learned about removing herself from abusive situations during her years in recovery, and having someone SO demanding and awful can't be good for her. I'm hoping THAT develops into a major plot point this season. 

The only thing I thought could have been better was if the Jesus who visits Bonnie when she's hallucinating/stoned had made an appearance.

• Love 2

Jill and Tammy's reactions every time Bonnie was trying to be nice as they realized they couldn't tell when she was being sincere and when she was being snide were priceless.  It makes sense that Jill would totally be in her element as a funeral party planner and it would be great to see that be the thing that finally gives her some purpose as the rest of her life seems to be coming together.   While obviously not the sole reason for her problems, it's also been obvious that the amount of free time she has on her hands hasn't helped her any.  Her picking all of her favorite things because none of them really knew much about Mary was both sad and funny.

I'm enjoying evil boss a lot more than I would have thought and I liked her giving Christy the reality check that being a lawyer isn't just about the high-minded Atticus Finch ideals of saving the poor and downtrodden that Chisty's been parroting all along as her reason for doing this.  It would be interesting to see this be the beginning of her realizing that maybe being a lawyer wasn't really what she was looking for after all, but we'll see.

Tammy obsessing over what she believes is Marjorie's impending demise was hysterical. 

• Love 9
19 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I wonder if this episode will make Christie realize that she might be better suited being a social worker, rather than a lawyer, if she truly wants to help people. 

In the pilot, she wanted to be a psychologist. I'd like to see them revisit that.

• Love 1

If Christy doesn't want to be the type of lawyer that gets guilty people out of having to go to jail, I don't know why it doesn't occur to her to be a prosecutor instead.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, mammaM said:

RIP Mary. 

Ohhhhh. Now I really want to see she and Chef Rudy hook up. They would be Bonnie and Clyde.

I liked learning more about Wendy and it was interesting to watch Bonnie grow emotionally. 

I'm a friend of Bill (in AA) and there are these emotional jumps that happen every so often, I enjoed watching it here.

• Love 2

I agree. Crazy, abusive bosses are less comic than they used to be...maybe because people being screamed at and physically and verbally abused isn't considered a laugh riot anymore.

• Love 5
On 10/25/2019 at 5:47 PM, kariyaki said:

If Christy doesn't want to be the type of lawyer that gets guilty people out of having to go to jail, I don't know why it doesn't occur to her to be a prosecutor instead.

Her reason to become a lawyer was to help the underdog. That would really defeat her purpose. She'd be trying to put people who may be innocent in jail, too. She wouldn't be able to just prosecute the cases where the accused is always guilty.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Her reason to become a lawyer was to help the underdog. That would really defeat her purpose. She'd be trying to put people who may be innocent in jail, too. She wouldn't be able to just prosecute the cases where the accused is always guilty.

Not necessarily but it would require to be open to the idea there is more than one way to help. Prosecutors have a say in who is charged and what plea deals are offered. As a prosecutor she would be able to help victims which would probably appeal to her because she has been one at several points in her life. They’re not always right but a good prosecutor should always believe that the accused is guilty. But a defense attorney often knows their client is guilty and they still have to provide a good defense. 

Yes to all of this. Evil Boss served as a reality check for Christy, who often has ideas that aren't grounded in reality. We've been shown that she is smart, and has a good grasp of the law. 

Maybe Evil Boss is there for her to realize that there ARE a lot of other ways to help people: from working with non-profits, to immigration and civil rights law, and more. I have a friend who works for the EEOC, and she knows there are days when she's made a difference for a LOT of people.

Christy doesn't have to end up at a white-shoe law firm (as if she would, graduating from the University of Ample Parking), but she doesn't have to be a high- or low-end ambulance chaser, either.

(And I've always wondered why Jill doesn't start a non-profit...she's got the money, and in one busted plot idea from last season, she wanted to work at a women's shelter.)

• Love 4

I do feel for Christy in that law office.  Takes me back a few years, though, I never had a boss that mean.   I wonder if the show writers have considered just how problematic substance abuse is within the legal field and that's why she is bound for becoming an attorney.  Substance abuse is a HUGE problem. One reason may be that  the practice of law is very stressful and demanding.  

There are some real jerks in the field too.  No matter which direction you go, there are issues.  I had a colleague/friend get attacked in open court by his own client! He was seriously injured in just a few seconds. It was never clear why his client turned on him in the criminal case.  And, another friend/colleague of mine had her father KIDNAPPED by a gang in order to punish her for sending their leader to prison!  I'm NOT kidding.( Link below if interested. ) They actually went to abduct her, but, went to her parents house by mistake, so took her dad instead. The FBI miraculously rescued him in an apt in Atlanta, but, he suffered permanent injury from being tied up for several days.  So, there are risks no matter which field you go into. lol  

https://www.wral.com/gang-leader-gets-life-sentence-for-kidnapping-wake-prosecutor-s-father/16222322/

I just love this show.  It's actually better now than earlier seasons.  I don't think I have ever said that before about a comedy series. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Maybe Evil Boss is there for her to realize that there ARE a lot of other ways to help people: from working with non-profits, to immigration and civil rights law, and more. I have a friend who works for the EEOC, and she knows there are days when she's made a difference for a LOT of people.

Christy doesn't have to end up at a white-shoe law firm (as if she would, graduating from the University of Ample Parking), but she doesn't have to be a high- or low-end ambulance chaser, either.

Yes. I was trying to find a way to say this, and you put into words perfectly. Christy will (hopefully) graduate with a law degree, but she doesn't need to go into a courtroom to help people. There are other ways she could put her legal degree to good use for people in desperate need of assistance and never set foot in a courtroom. 

• Love 1

Maybe because abusive boss is played by such a likable actor like Paget Brewster I am finding her hilarious.  A lessor actor/actress it might not work but then I am not against the.....ick don’t make me use the word....trope.

i feel dirty.   

I actually find it far better then the early storyline of “of course Christy is the one to be sleeping with her married passive aggressive boss”.  I found that boring and was glad when he was gone.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if the show writers have considered just how problematic substance abuse is within the legal field and that's why she is bound for becoming an attorney.  Substance abuse is a HUGE problem.

Thank you for bringing this up! If my memory is correct (50/50 shot at best), Christy has now had a teacher who had a drinking problem and a boss who has been abusing stimulants/downers. If I had Christy's history, I'd be worrying about triggers for relapse way more than she seems to be doing. Not to mention that California's bar exam is one of the most difficult in the country. Based on Christy's stats, she is unlikely to pass her first time out. I get that they're going for comedy, but considering how well-known the legal field is for having substance abuse problems, I think that ignoring it makes no sense.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:37 PM, Dani said:

Prosecutors have a say in who is charged and what plea deals are offered. As a prosecutor she would be able to help victims which would probably appeal to her because she has been one at several points in her life.

Yup yup yup. As someone who has had substance abuse problems, I would think Christy could be quite sympathetic to a defendant who clearly needs help. I also think it would be an interesting conflict to have Christy grapple with how she can help people in a way that might have been useful to her when she was still in the drinking/drug portion of her life but also struggling with trying to figure out who she should be giving those chances to. I mean, it might be harder to turn it into comedy but this is a sitcom about recovering addicts so I think it's doable.

• Love 2
On 10/28/2019 at 4:22 PM, kwnyc said:

(And I've always wondered why Jill doesn't start a non-profit...she's got the money, and in one busted plot idea from last season, she wanted to work at a women's shelter.)

The way Jill was lamenting about not knowing Mary and thus not being able to host a Mary-specific wake, I thought her idea for a non-profit might be to throw a little celebration for living, older people who might need some acknowledgment and happiness in their life, sort of a pre-wake?  It sounds lame even as I'm typing it.  LOL.

Speaking of Mary, did the actress possibly have a stroke?  She looked significantly thinner and seemed to have a differ manner of speaking, as if her mouth couldn't open completely.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, CouchTater said:

The way Jill was lamenting about not knowing Mary and thus not being able to host a Mary-specific wake, I thought her idea for a non-profit might be to throw a little celebration for living, older people who might need some acknowledgment and happiness in their life, sort of a pre-wake?  It sounds lame even as I'm typing it.  LOL.

Aww, that sounds not lame at all but rather terrific!

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, Blakeston said:

I thought Christy was justified in telling her boss that Stink wasn't a worthy choice for pro bono representation.

She wasn't arguing that he should have to appear in court without a lawyer, or that he should found guilty without a trial. She was talking about whether he should be one of the tiny handful of defendants who gets represented by a large firm for free. Why not find a better candidate?

I don't see why Stink should get that kind of break just because someone at the firm was friends with one of his relatives.

I don't know about law firms doing pro bono work, but in my state, the Office of the Public Defender has no choice about which defendants to represent.  As long as the defendant meets the financial requirements, the OPD has to represent them in court, no matter how crappy they are.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:14 PM, illdoc said:

Question: Can Christy actually represent someone in court? She is not a lawyer! She is a law student (first year, I believe) who has definitely not passed the bar (no pun intended).

Not in my state.  An attorney has to have passed the bar here in order to represent a party in court.  She could've sat in with an attorney who passed the bar and observed, but not actually spoken in court on behalf of the client.  Not sure about California, though.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, kariyaki said:

She doesn't have to go into criminal law at all.  She could do family law instead.

• Love 2
On 11/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, proserpina65 said:

She doesn't have to go into criminal law at all.  She could do family law instead.

Yep. Or work for a non-profit, from the ACLU to RAICES. There is a lot of truth and honesty with the characters making it from day to day, but Christy's law school experience is pretty half-assed.

• Love 4

There are so many kinds of law Christy could practice. She could be house counsel for a large firm. They make decent money. A firm that isn't a law firm but any issues that could become a legal matter, the house counsel deals with. 

Money was a big reason for Christy to want to be a lawyer, as well as helping people. Working for a non-profit doesn't pay much. 

• Love 1