Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Triggers

ESS
  • Start Topic

I feel like I need to apologize to Eddie's dead wife, cause while i didn't care for her at all and thought she had zero chemistry with Eddie, I at least didn't actively cringe when she was on screen. Sure, she bored me, but Lena makes me want to fastforward all of her scenes. You can't tell me there aren't lots of women out there who could have filled that role better. Stunt casting is only allowed in my books if it's for a very specific role in one episode, if the person is a genuinly good actor and ads to the show or if the person just oozes charisma so you can kinda overlook the bad acting.

I feel like Ryan Murphy has it personally out for me, cause every time I finally catch up on his shows after being reluctant to even watch the show in the first place (Glee left me with severe trust issues), the shows start to implode (I mean not just the casting but also that Buck storyline).

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Also, as someone else mentioned - all those hang-ups and the caller's hinky reaction should've at least precipitated a patrol car visit. I accidentally dialled 9 1 1 once while programming a friend's phone (unaware that you're not supposed to put 9 1 1 on your speed dial) and even though I assured them it was a mistake and nothing was wrong, an officer came by to check, and to then lecture me about the whole situation. It's not realistic they wouldn't have sent someone to this woman's house, except for plot reasons.

Like Maddie's coworker Josh said, he was going to send out a car but Maddie convinced him that it was a bad idea (given her experience with patrol cars coming to her home when she was with her abusive ex and he punished her afterward for it).

Though it still should have been done, I can see why Maddie argued against it. But, again, that was her comparing this woman with her own abuse, when she didn't know for sure if it was true. 

• Love 3

I honestly have no idea what the writers think they're doing WRT Buck after engendering such good will towards him in the first few episodes this season. It's not so much that he's coming across as vengeful or hot-headed, it's that he's coming across as being rather stupid. I guess that's not wildly out of character for him, he's never been the brightest bulb in the box. But surely Bobby could explain to him that he's being an idiot and he can't sue for wrongful termination when he hasn't even been terminated. Or that nobody is going to want to work with him after he sues them. Geez. It's not rocket science.

This is one of those horribly contrived tropes where drama unfolds simply because people don't talk to each other or explain things. Bad writing.

The guy playing the ambulance chasing lawyer, Jordan Belfi, has made a career out of popping on just about every show these days playing a sleeze ball (including Chicago Fire). I recognized him the instant we saw him in the stairwell and knew he was going to have a larger role.

As a sibling in a 2-child household I would hope that Hen now realizes having a sibling isn't a guarantee of friendship or camaraderie or family harmony. Some siblings simply do not get along and that's all there is to it. You're having another kid for yourself; don't expect your existing child to appreciate it.

I think it's clear by now that if Ronda Roussey plans to make a real go at acting, she needs to start taking some classes. 

Yeah, ditto. Does Roussey really have such a fanbase that the show thought she'd bring in viewers? I've heard of her before but I wouldn't have been able to pick her out of a lineup with a gun to my head.

I accidentally dialled 9 1 1 once while programming a friend's phone (unaware that you're not supposed to put 9 1 1 on your speed dial) and even though I assured them it was a mistake and nothing was wrong, an officer came by to check, and to then lecture me about the whole situation.

Ha! I have dialed 911 by accident twice. And it's because where I worked at the time, you had to dial 9 for an outside line, then 1 if you were dialing long distance. So I'd be at home and automatically dial 9 then 1 then realize I didn't need to dial 9 so I'd hang up but the line didn't disconnect and I'd dial 1 again and get 911. Both times a cop showed up at my door.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Like Maddie's coworker Josh said, he was going to send out a car but Maddie convinced him that it was a bad idea (given her experience with patrol cars coming to her home when she was with her abusive ex and he punished her afterward for it).

Though it still should have been done, I can see why Maddie argued against it. But, again, that was her comparing this woman with her own abuse, when she didn't know for sure if it was true. 

Yeah, but if it's policy, she shouldn't be able to override it just because of her own experience. Plus, if I'm remembering correctly, there was a history of calls/hangups from this number - four or five of them on the screen.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Even if Buck wins, he loses.   Not only does he risk his relationship with Bobby, even if he does get his job back, he would have to be transferred somewhere else.   There is no way he could work where he has been working.

This is why I think they'll have a few episodes of this, and then Buck will realize he's f'd up and drops the lawsuit. Some initial tension, but then all is forgiven. If there's good acting out of it, I usually forgive drama that seems just for drama's sake. I think they felt Buck and Bobby needed a conflict of some sort for whatever reason, and this was a way to generate it.

I didn't think there was a lot of Maddie this episode, or let's say more than usual. I thought the trigger was believable, but she needs to lay off the superhero rescue by herself.

All of the rest of the episode I liked, except for Ronda Rousey's acting. I agree with everyone here, she is just bad. I could have gone up there and emoted better. She has such a flat, lifeless tone with no ability to draw you in or make you feel.

I knew immediately once we saw the blender and the margaritas that the medical emergency would be due to the limes and the chemical burns. I saw a story about that on GMA. The sisters were very believable in their fighting.

The fire drill was both funny and a little scary, as I suffer from epilepsy (although lights aren't a trigger). But I just have a dislike of having to get out since 9/11. 

Buck as Fire Drill Sargeant was funny. He had some good lines and loved being on his little power trip.

The auto accident lost all stakes when they showed pretty much the entire thing on the promo.

Eddie and Christopher are all kinds of adorable.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't know; I thought Oliver Stark did an excellent job in the first three episodes this season, better than what I think JLH is capable of. If not for this tsunami storyline, I might have agreed with you. But with the season finale, and these first three episodes, I think the actor has shown, to me, that he's better than I originally gave him credit for.

Though I'm not happy with the material that they've given Buck now, it doesn't undermine Oliver Stark's acting for me. Buck as a character is all on the writers.

Also, I think Buck was supposed to show growth over the course of the previous seasons. At first he was fucking up on the job, having lots of random and sometimes inappropriate (remember when he had sex with his therapist? Though I would put more of the blame on her in that situation), and just generally acting like a kid. The first season saw him taking the job seriously, to the point where it's now the biggest thing in his life (as Hen pointed out, he doesn't really have much of a life outside of work, which is part of his problem) and having a real relationship with Abby. We actually saw him evolve, and I put a lot of that on the actor. (Also he does do a good American accent. When I first heard the actor speak out of character I was like, wait, he's British?)

With Jennifer Love Hewitt, while I don't have anything against her as a person (for what? I don't know her and she hasn't come across as an asshole in the press over the course of her 20-year career) and I think she's done some good work on this show (I thought she was great in the flashback episode of her marriage), she's been acting for a solid 20 years and I still wouldn't call her good. I don't see her name in the credits and think "Oh good!" She is better on this show than I thought she would be, but I don't think I'll ever see a thing solely because she's in it. (I feel that way about many actors.)

Ronda Rousey is just not an actress yet. It could happen, but she's not there. At this point she needs a vehicle like the Fast and Furious franchise, where the acting isn't the point of the thing. Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, and Michelle Rodriguez aren't good actors, but that's not why anyone watches those movies. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Tune it next week.

Same Buck Time

Same Buck Channel

That's your own personal viewpoint and in no way did I see anyone rooting for her death. The exact opposite actually. Not saying no one wanted her gone. With fans there will come detractors.

I've felt every part of her journey. JHL has done a great job.

" I've felt every part of her journey. JHL has done a great job. " well, and that's YOUR own personal viewpoint.

I do remember seeing people rooting for her death on social media when the episode with her ex aired, i'm not wrong about this and it's not my personal viewpoint. No wonder they rather put the attention on Chimney's near death experience, even though it was her storyline, mostly. I think they tried to avoid comments like ' yay Maddie dies finally I can watch the show again ' etc. But I also remember seeing comments like Maddie should be the one dying, not Chimney so that wasn't a good idea either LOL. I don't care that much, she could've died [I mean the character] and it wouldn't had any affect on the show at all. I was just saying, I think the reason 3x04 has bad reviews has something to do with the fact she had a bigger role in this episode.

I know you guys will jump for this, but I just don't see any chemistry between Captain and Althea.  It's hard for me to accept these characters as husband & wife.  I see more chemistry between Buck & Eddie than I do Cap & Althea!

Anyhoo...I didn't care for this episode at all except for Christopher & Eddie.  Now THAT'S chemistry!

IMO, this show would be better served to focus on the rescues, showing the detail of how they get people out of nasty situations rather than 1) unconscious woman in car on cliff, 2) unconscious woman on stretcher.  Say what?!!!  How did that happen?  Somebody above mentioned the same thing.  The drama of getting her out of the car and onto the stretcher would have added a good 10 minutes of intense drama and cut sorry Buck's screen time in half.

I don't like the way the writers are developing Buck's character.  He's not showing any maturity at all.  Cap promised him his job would be there for him when he got well. That's family having your back.  But he can't accept that.  He wasn't terminated for crying out loud, he's on light duty.  They are making him out to be a such a jerk and his weird sister too.  

• Love 2

Seems to me Buck has not asked Bobby the obvious questions: When will you know I'm ready? What are you looking for? What indication do you have that I'm not ready now? How about some feedback? Let me know what you're thinking!

Unless he is really serious about Maddie Chimney should run, not walk, but run as far away from her as he can. This girl has issues that aren't going away anytime soon.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I know you guys will jump for this, but I just don't see any chemistry between Captain and Althea.  It's hard for me to accept these characters as husband & wife.  I see more chemistry between Buck & Eddie than I do Cap & Althea!

I never saw any chemistry between them.  I just surmised that since they both are producers on the show, they just said, "hey, let's make us a couple!" without giving any thought to how they'd interact with each other.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, DisplayyName said:

This. He's barely got any chance to show his talent but when they finally gave him something to do he did an excellent job. JLH gets several chances to show her talent but she's not capable of showing genuine emotions. If she was good, the viewers wouldn't have been rooting for her ex husband to kill her in the episode Flight or Fight. In that episode, she got a chance to show what she's capable of and she was absolutely terrible, even though the storyline was good/intense.

Some viewers, perhaps. Certainly not me. It seems strange to me that anyone would root for an abused woman to be killed by her husband, whether or not they hated the character. Myself, I reserve that kind of hate for a character who is evil and hateful and actively harms good people. But mileage varies.

In my opinion, she's a competent actress. Not world class, maybe. But then, few are. I neither dislike nor love her. I think she's fine, and the character's okay. But I hate the story line right now.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9
45 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I know you guys will jump for this, but I just don't see any chemistry between Captain and Althea.  It's hard for me to accept these characters as husband & wife. 

I've always been a fan of them, but you aren't the first person to point this out. It doesn't help that the writing isn't doing them any favors. It all feels very disjointed, we never saw any lead up to their relationship, much of it happened offscreen, they got a 2 second proposal, and while the family scenes have been nice coming together where is the romance?! Would it kill them to focus on their sexual intimacy? Now that the show is at 8pm instead of 9pm, I'm sure there's even less of a chance, but maybe they're just too scared of the whole interracial dynamic. I don't know, I'm not in their heads so I have no idea.

My two cents on JLH is that she's okay, not great, not terrible. I know her from Party of Five (where I shipped her with Bailey and thought she did some decent work) and in I Know What You Did Last Summer, Parts 1 and 2. So I'm not expecting much out of her anyway. To get really good talent on network procedurals doesn't happen that often, does it? When was the last female Emmy winner off a network drama?

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

My two cents on JLH is that she's okay, not great, not terrible. I know her from Party of Five (where I shipped her with Bailey and thought she did some decent work) and in I Know What You Did Last Summer, Parts 1 and 2. So I'm not expecting much out of her anyway. To get really good talent on network procedurals doesn't happen that often, does it? When was the last female Emmy winner off a network drama?

Maybe Mariska Hargitay.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Maybe Mariska Hargitay.

I was curious, so I looked this up. She did win an Emmy back in 2006, so 13 years ago. That was before all the streaming shows and a lot of cable (Game of Thrones, etc.) Not discounting her resume at all, it's very impressive. But I think it's definitely a rarity nowadays.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Viola Davis  - 2014 - ABC - HTGAWM

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Azi said:

I feel like Ryan Murphy has it personally out for me, cause every time I finally catch up on his shows after being reluctant to even watch the show in the first place (Glee left me with severe trust issues), the shows start to implode (I mean not just the casting but also that Buck storyline).

Well, Oliver Stark is hot, so he'll be around for awhile.

When is the musical episode coming up, though?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

Would it kill them to focus on their sexual intimacy?

Peter Krause had many, many sex scenes on Six Feet Under, so it's not like he can't go there. And I think Angela Bassett is one of the sexiest women walking.

I know the show is on network TV, but they could bring some heat between those two. Hen had a sex scene with her ex, Buck has had a bunch, I think Eddie and his ex had a couple ... let Athena rip Bobby's shirt off one good time!

Edited by Empress1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Didn't Juliana Margulies win an Emmy or two as well?

Yes. Three actually: one for ER in 1995, and two for The Good Wife in 2011 and 2014. Okay, so they're out there. The point is, we all know JLH isn't winning an Emmy anytime soon, but I also don't think she's as bad as Ronda Rousey.

The entire fire drill was hitting too close to home for me, first the seizure, then the same number of floors as my office building, then the fact that we just recently had a fire drill too. Which I refused to go down for, heh. It was 25 floors and they neglected to give us the "warning" the day before so you could bring an extra pair of shoes.

2 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Peter Krause had many, many sex scenes on Six Feet Under, so it's not like he can't go there. And I think Angela Bassett is one of the sexiest women walking.source.mp4

I know the show is on network TV, but they could bring some heat between those two. Hen had a sex scene with her ex, Buck has had a bunch, I think Eddie and his ex had a couple ... let Athena rip Bobby's shirt off one good time!

Hell yes to all of this! And it reminds me that I really need to go watch Six Feet Under. No, I haven't seen it yet.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Didn't Juliana Margulies win an Emmy or two as well?

Yes, she won twice, 2010, 2013.

Also Sela Ward 2000, Allison Janney 2001, 2003, Patricia Arquette 2004, Sally Field 2006

• Love 1
1 minute ago, tvgoddess said:

Hell yes to all of this! And it reminds me that I really need to go watch Six Feet Under. No, I haven't seen it yet.

It has the best series finale ending I have ever seen.

(And Peter Krause and most of the main cast fuck a lot, though most of his character's relationships/encounters are unhealthy.)

• Love 5
7 hours ago, bluemm said:

Seems to me Buck has not asked Bobby the obvious questions: When will you know I'm ready? What are you looking for? What indication do you have that I'm not ready now? How about some feedback? Let me know what you're thinking!

Right but that's why Bobby handled this poorly in not revealing earlier that it was his decision that Buck didn't return to duty.  So I get why Buck thinks Bobby betrayed him and after Buck did some rescuing in the hurricane, why he feels like Bobby's wrong.

8 hours ago, DisplayyName said:

I do remember seeing people rooting for her death on social media when the episode with her ex aired, i'm not wrong about this and it's not my personal viewpoint.

Calling for a character's death on Twitter isn't unique or special to Maddie.  And in the end, it's still just someone's personal viewpoint. Having it posted on Twitter doesn't make it some objective truth or more valid than @Racj82's point of view.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Calling for a character's death on Twitter isn't unique or special to Maddie.  And in the end, it's still just someone's personal viewpoint. Having it posted on Twitter doesn't make it some objective truth or more valid than @Racj82's point of view.

I never said maddie was special. @RAJC82 said s/he did not see anyone rooting for her death but I remember it happened. I felt bad for the writers, directors etc. [not so much for the actress] because it seemed like they put a lot of hard work into the episode only for people to root for the abusive ex husband. But I don't want to shame anyone for their opinion, it's their personal viewpoint and it's valid just like @Racj82's point of view.

9 hours ago, bluemm said:

Unless he is really serious about Maddie Chimney should run, not walk, but run as far away from her as he can. This girl has issues that aren't going away anytime soon.

Maddie shouldn’t even had pursued Chimney if she had all that baggage. I hope he breaks up with her when he finds out what she's doing [and she failed to tell him about it] and they finally give Chimney a decent gf by the end of s3. That poor guy lol...

Now that I think about it, the only good thing that comes from Buck's lawsuit is that he can't talk to anyone in the team, which means he cannot trash Chimney for breaking up with his sister. I hope Chimney stands up for himself this time. He also cannot talk to Maddie [yay] or Eddie and Christopher [💔] .

• Love 2

Just to put it plainly. I don't care about what some people are saying on Twitter. There is always hate for somebody.

I've enjoyed Jennifer on the show. She's never been a dynamic actress. But, she's not bad here at all. It's not like she comes off like CW show reject. She had nice chemistry and ease with Chimney and Buck. I feel her pain with all she has to go through in her job. I felt the worry for her when she was being stalked. I'm not calling for any removal of her.

I remember last season there was a narrative being forced that she was destroying the show and she was forcing the ratings to go down. The reality is that 911 is one of the more successful dramas on TV that isn't in danger at all.

I think she's fine.

Not too hot on this new storyline for her but I hope cooler heads prevail her. Even if the woman needs help. Go to Athena. Do things a better way. 

I just enjoy this show. I love the cases and the chemistry between the cast. One of very few network shows I still watch.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I remember last season there was a narrative being forced that she was destroying the show and she was forcing the ratings to go down. 

I'm not sure how a narrative can be forced by fans or how JLH could force the ratings to go down. For me, her scenes flashing back to her abuse don't ring as true as her scenes as a 911 worker. I know that the flashback scenes must be harder to write, direct,  and act, but I don't know if the failure of these scenes for me arises from the writing, direction, or acting. FWIW, I thought JLH was okay -- not great, but okay -- in Ghost Whisperer, the only other thing I've seen her in. 

I feel like the show is leaving out something we need to know about Buck: how long will he be on the blood thinner? That seemed to be Bobby's main concern at the beginning. 

eta: I mean that if Buck will be on the blood thinner forever, or for a long time, and that's the reason Bobby won't have him back, that would make me understand Buck's frustration. 

Edited by Mystery
Because this post wasn't long enough already

I think I like this show best when everyone gets along and acts like a team. The Maddie story doesn’t bother me because let’s face it she isn’t going to kill anyone unless JLH has burned her bridges with Ryan Murphy and that would be really dumb of her.  Murphy being a strong advocate of women and all,  where CBS and Criminal Minds (the last thing I saw her in) was not.  It’s the Buck story that pisses me off.   And I am in Buck’s corner in this one.   I just don’t like him being on the opposite side with his team and in a situation that can’t end well for him.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

What the...?!?

I was almost to the point of liking Buck...until this episode. I have found his over-acting this season incredibly distracting...or maybe it's under-acting? I dunno - it's been bad. I understand this is a drama and to have a drama, we must have dramatic situations. I can overlook the ridiculous tsunami (seriously? what's next? nuclear war?) but he goes from righteous indignation at the mere thought of anyone suing the city or his "family" to suing them for wrongful termination (even though he wasn't actually terminated)? So he's willing to burn to the ground every relationship he's made there and all the hard-fought good-will aimed at him? Are we supposed to like him for being impulsive and childish, even though it makes 100% sense for him not to be reinstated at this point until the captain is sure his medical condition wouldn't endanger anyone else?

Egads.

I do understand Maddie having PTSD after her ordeal - that would make sense. I could even see her going to extremes, but stalking these people? I don't see how this can end with me feeling anything except a strong desire for her departure (unless she quickly sees the error in her ways and seeks help STAT!)

On a side note, why would the guy she's stalking stand there in the road while she comes at him like that in a car? He clearly sees her, has time to react (didn't he yell at her or something?) and then continues to stand there while she revs the engine and peels off directly at him. I'm sure I'd be a deer-in-headlights, but I'd sure as hell at least try to move. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Empress1 said:

It has the best series finale ending I have ever seen.

(And Peter Krause and most of the main cast fuck a lot, though most of his character's relationships/encounters are unhealthy.)

You are so right about the ending. That's how you do a finale, Seinfeld & The Sopranos.

• Love 3

so, we learned that jlh's acting:

' ...is ok, not good, but not bad. definitely not great, but not exactly awful, she's kinda ok sometimes '

She's very special, isn't she. LOL

On 10/16/2019 at 8:09 AM, Racj82 said:

I remember last season there was a narrative being forced that she was destroying the show and she was forcing the ratings to go down. The reality is that 911 is one of the more successful dramas on TV that isn't in danger at all.

Not saying it's true but there must be *some truth* behind it. Last year, right after her character was introduced to the audience, some of them said no thanks and the show lost a significant amount of viewers. In this episode, she had a bigger role and it received the lowest ratings of the season. Too much of a coincidence. Giving her character a big storyline right after the very strong tsunami episodes and the season opener was a bad idea. It's not entirely on the actress, the writers know she's the weakest actress in the show and they chose to give her yet another big(ger) storyline when she could just continue to pick up the phone and say 1 line in each episode until they find someone better and figure out a quick way to get rid of her.

7 hours ago, DisplayyName said:

Giving her character a big storyline right after the very strong tsunami episodes and the season opener was a bad idea. It's not entirely on the actress, the writers know she's the weakest actress in the show and they chose to give her yet another big(ger) storyline when she could just continue to pick up the phone and say 1 line in each episode until they find someone better and figure out a quick way to get rid of her.

Well, she's not the weakest actress on the show anymore. That title can be handed right to Ronda Rousey. I just rewatched the Lena/Eddie scene and she's even worse the second time around. It's like she has cue cards right off screen and she's reading them and then thinking about emoting and talking while she's doing it. She's so bad. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, DisplayyName said:

' ...is ok, not good, but not bad. definitely not great, but not exactly awful, she's kinda ok sometimes '

Honestly that can be said about so many people on so many tv shows.  Have you watched an NCIS show?  The number of actors on TV who are exceptional ... and yes there are a lot of them.... are still outnumbered by the 'ok' ones who do a good job with the material but arent people you are gonna be upset if they don't win an emmy.  But we still like them fine anyway.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 6
On 10/15/2019 at 8:42 AM, DearEvette said:

Also the new person, Bosko? holy man the actress is terrible.  Her scene with Eddie just felt like she was reciting words on paper.  Yikes.

Well, she was.  😂.  However, I agree. She is awful and I hope her presence is temporary because she grates.

• Love 3
On 10/15/2019 at 4:24 PM, tvgoddess said:

I've always been a fan of them, but you aren't the first person to point this out. It doesn't help that the writing isn't doing them any favors. It all feels very disjointed, we never saw any lead up to their relationship, much of it happened offscreen, they got a 2 second proposal, and while the family scenes have been nice coming together where is the romance?! Would it kill them to focus on their sexual intimacy? Now that the show is at 8pm instead of 9pm, I'm sure there's even less of a chance, but maybe they're just too scared of the whole interracial dynamic. I don't know, I'm not in their heads so I have no idea.

That can’t possibly be it. This is 2019 not 1819 and mixed couples are not unicorns. That said I don’t have a clue why we don’t see them in bed, but I don’t know that I want to either.  

Edited by taurusrose
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, taurusrose said:

Well, she was.  😂.  However, I agree. She is awful and I hope her presence is temporary because she grates.

Can't be all that "temporary, considering she was filling in for the guy who just declared he was suing the Chief, the Department, and the City.

1 hour ago, taurusrose said:

That can’t possibly be it. This is 2019 not 1819 and mixed couples are not unicorns. That said I don’t have a clue why we don’t see them in bed, but I don’t know that I want to either.  

I agree, it shouldn't be a big deal at all. But obviously, to some people in this country it's a huge deal. It's extremely odd how they're written though. They had that pretty hot kiss to start out S2 and literally pretty much nothing else since. Gah. I've all but given up on it. 

Not really sure why everyone needs to be all coupled up on this show anyway. Not everyone out there is in a relationship. It would be nice to see it reflected.

• Love 1

I might be blocking things out (or just, you know, old) but I don't really recall very many 'hot' love scenes in this show. Hell, considering it's about (mostly) hot men and women firefighters, there isn't much overt sexiness in any aspect. I'm actually okay with that - just bring me the drama and the buddy-co-workers. There are lots of choices for romance/sex all over the programming landscape.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, taurusrose said:

Maybe Krause had his fill of sex scenes, and Angela's powerful enough to say no to them.

2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I might be blocking things out (or just, you know, old) but I don't really recall very many 'hot' love scenes in this show. Hell, considering it's about (mostly) hot men and women firefighters, there isn't much overt sexiness in any aspect. I'm actually okay with that - just bring me the drama and the buddy-co-workers. There are lots of choices for romance/sex all over the programming landscape.

Though this is probably the more likely story - they're not that interested in emphasizing the sex aspect. Which is fine, you can find a steamy scene somewhere without too much effort.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Maybe Krause had his fill of sex scenes, and Angela's powerful enough to say no to them.

I'm betting this is the case.  Both Peter Krause and Angela Bassett have EP credit on the show, I am guessing they have a little say over the direction/deployment of their characters.

• Love 4

I don't want to see actual sex scenes between these two; I don't even need to see them in bed together.  However, they seem to be missing what I'd call "playful intimacy" and perhaps it's because they're just not that comfortable with each  other.  (Yeah, I know Peter Krause had a lot of fucking scenes on that other show, but that's not what I mean.) 

Frankly, Angela Bassett looks like she'd crush a guy's balls in her hands.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I don't want to see actual sex scenes between these two; I don't even need to see them in bed together.  However, they seem to be missing what I'd call "playful intimacy" and perhaps it's because they're just not that comfortable with each  other.  (Yeah, I know Peter Krause had a lot of fucking scenes on that other show, but that's not what I mean.) 

Frankly, Angela Bassett looks like she'd crush a guy's balls in her hands.

Valid. There's not a lot of that. But their characters, in general, don't seem all that demonstrative to me, so it works. So I try not to read anything into it, myself. But then, I only watch when I'm exercising, so I'm not fully engaged most of the time.

Angela's a strong woman, to be sure.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:23 AM, Jillybean said:

How does Buck have a case for wrongful termination when he hasn't even been terminated?

For that matter why is he suing the captain personally? He is not suing for money but to get his old job back, but once the lawsuit is filed I imagine it is out of the Captain's hands. So what does Buck hope to get out of him?

Also could you really cut through the cable of a fire truck winch with a pocket knife?

Buck is completely overreacting. As mentioned, he wasn't even terminated, but he's suing for wrongful termination. Last I checked, Bobby said that he was going to be on modified duty while the blood thinner problem gets worked out, and Buck said he quit. And then he's back for this episode as one of the inspectors. Not to mention, I don't see how surviving the drama of the tsunami instantly makes him ready. He was told before then that he would go on modified duty. So did he just expect Bobby and the department to forget that?

If he does win his lawsuit, he can't work at the 118 anymore and will get sent to another house. So he'll lose all his friends and emotional attachments, like with Eddie and Christopher. Did he think of those implications. He's so focused on getting his job back that he's not looking at the consequences.

Why not just ask Bobby what he needs to do to show that he's ready? Bobby is right. He has other firefighters that he's responsible for and he can't risk putting their lives in Buck's hands if he's not yet at 100%. There is no knife going in the back here. Bobby has to protect ALL of his firefighters.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

Buck is completely overreacting. As mentioned, he wasn't even terminated, but he's suing wrongful termination. Last I checked, Bobby said that he was going to be on modified duty while the blood thinner problem gets worked out, and Buck said he quit. And then he's back for this episode as one of the inspectors. Not to mention, I don't see how surviving the drama of the tsunami instantly makes him ready. He was told before then that he would go on modified duty. So did he just expect Bobby and the department to forget that?

If he does win his lawsuit, he can't work at the 118 anymore and will get sent to another house. So he'll lose all his friends and emotional attachments, like with Eddie and Christopher. Did he think of those implications. He's so focused on getting his job back that he's not looking at the consequences.

Why not just ask Bobby what he needs to do to show that he's ready? Bobby is right. He has other firefighters that he's responsible for and he can't risk putting their lives in Buck's hands if he's not yet at 100%. There is no knife going in the back here. Bobby has to protect ALL of his firefighters.

I agree that he's overreacting, and I don't think he can show that he's ready. It's a straight up medical issue. Until he's off of blood thinners, he won't be going out in the field.

Buck hasn't even thought about (I assume, since he reacts more than thinks) that he's cutting Christopher out of his life - and he's deeply connected with him. Not to mention, it makes it awkward with his sister, who's seeing Chimney.

It's a real mess, and I don't really see how they can dig him out of this temper tantrum. I'm sure they will, but I'm not sure they can do much that will sell it to me.

• Love 4
On 10/15/2019 at 6:27 AM, TVForever said:

Sometimes stunt casting works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I think it's clear by now that if Ronda Roussey plans to make a real go at acting, she needs to start taking some classes. 

Like, now.

She is DREADFUL, get her off our screens.  😩

• Love 2
On 10/16/2019 at 3:09 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Murphy being a strong advocate of women and all,

Eh, I think Murphy's feminist ally persona is more self-serving than anything else. And let's not forget that he has repeatedly cast Emma Roberts - a domestic abuser - and never once addressed it. That takes a lot of arrogance in this climate. Even more so given how he treated Diana Agron and Melissa Benoist for not kissing his ass.

Moving on...

I like JLH. Anyone that can last 20+ years in show business and still be a decent/nice person will get my support. I think she's great in the role and I like that they're addressing her PTSD.

Buck's decision was so stupid, but it tracks given he, too, is suffering PTSD.  Oliver Stark has been getting a decent amount of praise from sites like TV Line and The Wrap for his performance in the first 3 eposodes. It's too bad they're going to damage the character with this law suit.

• Love 2
On 10/14/2019 at 11:23 PM, NJRadioGuy said:

I don't know about L.A. or California regs, but here in New Jersey, any 911 dialed-in-error or hangups get a at least one police cruiser dispatched to the location, and two if anything seems remotely suspicious to the call taker. Contact by the officer must be made in person to determine there's

I thought that was the protocol everywhere. It is in my Canadian city.  I can think of at least one movie 

Spoiler

Panic Room 

where it was used as a plot point.  Of course, our heroine Maddie knows better than any damn life-saving protocol. 

• LOL 1