Type keyword(s) to search

Josie and Kelton: They Have Employable Skills

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Roaring 20s is a fun theme, but I cannot get over the cognitive dissonance of religious fundamentalists dressing up as flappers, mobsters and bootleggers. One hundred years ago they would have been denouncing those people as destroying the fabric of America.

A few other pics via Brandon and Michaela's Insta:

I agree. Their Fundies aren't they suppose to be against all this? Why is okay for them to dress up like flappers, gangsters and bootleggers? Aren't flappers basically their worse nightmare when it comes to women? Women full of sin who smoke, drink, sneak off to speakeasys, and have sex without being married? Aren't gangsters violent "bad" guys who shoot up people? Aren't bootleggers horrible people who sneak in that terrible alcohol? Why is it okay for them to dress up like them?

• Love 7

I think most people now, 100 years later, either don't know or don't care about the history behind 20s fashion (and a lot of other things, really) and just think the fashions are cool. But, everyone is prone in their own way to accepting the parts of things that they like and ignoring the parts they don't like, so it's unsurprising if the Bateses are employing that technique here.

I did miss the part where 3-inch stilettos were part of the Gothard-approved wardrobe though. And bare shoulders. Of course Michael managed to make the look frumpy.

• Love 5

These people also all went to school around the dining table and read like no secular books. How much do they really know or understand about the roaring 20s? Do they really get prohibition or speakeasies or flappers? They probably were taught — oh the 20s were a great time in American history, money was flowing and people lived it up in their fancy clothes until the 30s when there was a depression and famine. Bet they don’t understand the underlying cultural issues — and its not like they’ve read the Great Gatsby or the like to understand it. Some combo of John, Bobby, Evan, Brandon, and Kelton who seem slightly more educated/culturally aware but I doubt they’re explaining it to their wives or inlaws who seem happy in their own ignorance.

• Love 6

It just goes to show how society's values change over time, and it really exposes the fundies' irrational fears of anyone who is different from them. One hundred years from now the Bates' great-great-grandchildren will be probably be dressing up as drag queens, and no one will blink twice.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I know Erin was considered the beauty of the family when they were younger but she's morphing quickly into her mother. She looks so much like Kelly it's crazy. Michael and the rest of the bunch all are more attractive than her now IMO. 

• Love 2

Josie is really pretty and has good style.  Kelton is dopey looking.

Its amazing how generally all of the Bates girls (Michaela being the exception) have pretty good style, some better than others.  While all of the Duggar girls have horrible style.  I think some folks think Jinger has the best style but she has nothing on the Bates girls.  Its surprising since you would assume the Duggars have more money being on the bigger network and having a show for longer.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

Which is Katie?

The one on the right with the whitish/grayish sweater. 

She's in or was in a cosmetology program. Most women in those programs will experiment a bit with their own hair to cut and color it. Josie's hair is just below shoulder length right now. She uses hair extensions frequently. 

• Useful 1
On 6/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, BitterApple said:

Is Willow going to be a redhead? If so, I wonder which side she gets it from?

Many of the Bates kids have been blonde when they are babies, toddlers and elementary school aged. Their hair grows darker as they get in their pre-teens. Josie and Katie were both very blonde in their early pics, darkened, and now both are back to blonde with some chemical help. Erin's roots and eyebrows indicate the same for her. Addallee and Ellie were also very blonde when they were younger. 

I point this out because I had a red headed great-grandmother and a blonde grandmother. I was blonde with a bit of reddish tint as a baby. I became mousy brown by the time I was 2. Both of my parents have dark brown hair (well when my dad had hair). But in the sun you can still see faintly reddish tint to my hair sometimes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, BitterApple said:

Is Willow going to be a redhead? If so, I wonder which side she gets it from?

I don’t know how it all works but my father had white hair as a baby which turned dark. Mine was red like a new penny and curly.  My mother saved one of my curls. Then later it turned very dark brown and stick straight. Now it is gray under the color with lots of cowlicks. So time will tell about baby Willow. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/19/2020 at 9:17 PM, BitterApple said:

Wow, I have to hand it to Kelton. That's pretty awesome he started his own business. He seems to truly enjoy what he does.

I agree. The starting the new business venture is pretty standard for the Bates and Duggars, but his seems to be a legit business with equipment, branding, truck, etc. As someone who just had to get quotes and pricing on a new truck wrap for two box trucks...it ain't cheap. 

• Love 8

I'm sure she was checked, although she has never disclosed if she has the disorder. She obviously carried Willow to term, so if she does have it, they obviously did the heparin regimen. No reason she wouldn't have started that up before her 10 week ultrasound. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Oh, wow. I"m sorry for them. Is it me or does it sound like lots of the Bates/Duggar woman of this generation are having miscarriages? Did Josie get checked out for the clotting issue that's in her family?

Probably no more than your average person; they just advertise it.  I am a more practical person, so her post just seems a bit over the top.  I can understand if you have fertility issues, multiple miscarriages,  etc., but 10-15% of of known pregnancies end in a miscarriage.  I viewed mine as a natural event that was private and not needing a long social media post.

• Love 13
45 minutes ago, luvbadtv said:

Probably no more than your average person; they just advertise it.  I am a more practical person, so her post just seems a bit over the top.  I can understand if you have fertility issues, multiple miscarriages,  etc., but 10-15% of of known pregnancies end in a miscarriage.  I viewed mine as a natural event that was private and not needing a long social media post.

This.  My daughter-in-law had a miscarriage in July.  She was a little further along in her pregnancy than Josie. Of course they were sad, but she told me that she was just thankful she already had her 2 girls.  She felt bad for women who suffer miscarriages and never have a baby.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

Oh, wow. I"m sorry for them. Is it me or does it sound like lots of the Bates/Duggar woman of this generation are having miscarriages? Did Josie get checked out for the clotting issue that's in her family?

They tend to announce very early at least to parents and siblings. That can mean it is harder to hide or stay private about a loss. 

The photos that they had taken around Willow's birthday were pretty big indications that they were about to announce. They are typical in that circle. All that was missing was Willow holding a sign saying she was about to be promoted to big sister. Then in a lot of the photos and video of them on social media, Josie would hold something over her abdomen. While she wasn't showing, she did the same thing when pregnant with Willow. Alyssa does the same too, as do many of the Duggar girls. So there were signs there and many suspected. 

While I don't think that Josie goes to Dr. Vick like her sisters, I think that she would have the sense enough to disclose that family history to a doctor. That said, we were greeted earlier this season with the sisters acting surprised that they could have the same disorder as Erin. So I try not to assume when it comes to common sense and the Bates. 

• Love 4
On 9/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, BitterApple said:

I'm sorry to hear Josie had a miscarriage, but wow, it sounds like she's on board the baby train as much as her sisters. 

All  Abboooooaaaaaard! That train has 19 cars and Kelly is the conductor.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I have to say, Josie is not at all averse to hustling for free stuff.  She is constantly promoting various merchandise on Instagram and I’m sure she gets a ton of free stuff.  Just today she posted that she is in a partnership with Pampers.  That’s a jackpot for someone with a baby. 
I bet she and Kelton are going to be the best off financially of all the siblings.

• Useful 1

Pregnant again and due in June. They go on about how devastating their miscarriage was in August and they're soooo grateful for this rainbow baby. Uh you got pregnant like 1-2 months after the miscarriage. You act like you've been trying for one child for 10 years?? I feel like if any of these girls were Michaela they would have offed themselves by now. I guess no time to enjoy the apple of their eye Willow now -- as she'll have a sibling by age 2 and probably another by age 3, 4, etc. 

Josie and Kelton seem to like the finer things. I realize he's a plumber that makes money but honestly can he have the lifestyle he wants with 10 kids? Because his 21 year old wife is on baby number 2 -- they have YEARS of child bearing left.

• Love 10

I also wondered if she gave any thought to Michaela when she wrote that post.  Not trying to minimize the pain she must have felt when she lost her baby last summer, and I understand that she may be more nervous this time around, but 10-15% of all pregnancies do end in miscarriage, most of which occur in the very early stages. It wasn't that long ago that women who had the same kind of loss as Josie were not even aware that they had been pregnant at all.

I had my kids two years apart so I really can't say much about the spacing.  Nothing wrong with having them fairly close together but I do wonder where they will stop.  As @cereality pointed out, Josie and Kelton do like the finer things, and his mother did die either during or shortly after giving birth to his youngest sibling.  I think he is one of 5 or 6 and while Josie would never admit to any dissatisfaction with her upbringing I just can't see her having 19 kids like her mother did.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had a fairly large family by today's standards - maybe 5 or 6, but I just can't see them having more than that. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Summer said:

Two sisters are now pregnant, Erin must be losing her mind with jealousy.....her announcement will be soon, just wait....::eye roll::

Oh, most definitely. She hates being on the sidelines of the Baby Olympics.

• Love 4

There is no room for a fifth child in that tiny bedroom at Erin and Chad's.  Gotta wonder if there are some tense conversations going on about moving to a bigger place, the lack of funds to do so, the fact that he has to pay her brothers when he could be keeping more money for himself, etc, etc.   It really is a no win situation for poor Chad.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Just one more comment- I really hate these fancy "oh baby" photo shoots.  I guess I am just a cranky old lady but for some reason they just piss me off.

AGREED!!! Not to mention I'm sure these professional photo shoots aren't cheap....although the Bates family ends up needing those "Oh Baby" balloons pretty much every month so they probably recycle those....

• Love 5

Maybe she reads here- she added to her story acknowledging that it must be hard to read "posts like these" for people who have suffered a miscarriage or are struggling with infertility, and that she has no words but she is praying for them.

Here's a thought:  Just post a simple "We are happy to announce that we are expecting a baby in June."  Period.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

but 10-15% of all pregnancies do end in miscarriage, most of which occur in the very early stages. It wasn't that long ago that women who had the same kind of loss as Josie were not even aware that they had been pregnant at all.

It's closer to 25% according to some recent studies.  It's probably closer to 15% in her age group.  Still it's so common that all these fundie women should expect to have at least one pregnancy loss if not two or three.   All they have to do is look at their mothers.  Almost all of them have lost multiple pregnancies.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 2