Type keyword(s) to search

Josie and Kelton: They Have Employable Skills

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Yes, I saw that.  Good for them.  I guess it was harder to keep the family away since they live in Knoxville, but saying no to the filming was a start.

I was happy to see that too, as it is a sign that maybe she isn't as deeply dependent on the attention and family as some of her sisters. While I doubt I would want a dozen people in the room with me, I think it was sweet that Kelton's dad was there to support him. I'm going with that idea because it is a bit creepy for dad-in-law to be there for a birth. But it was surely an emotional thing for Kelton and his father to remember his mother and all the other emotions that come with a first child/grandchild. 

I appreciate that Josie and Kelton felt comfortable making that decision not to be filmed for that moment. Good for them!

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 10

Josie liked someone's comment on Lauren Duggar's photo of snark, Lauren had the almost the exact same photo of Bella under the tree as Josie did with Willow and the outfit was spot on. Someone commented that they liked the aesthetic so much that they copied her and Josie liked it.

• LOL 5

Josie also made a comment on Lauren's copying her. Actually I think Josie is less mature for commenting on it than Lauren is for copying her. 

Josie also revealed recently they thought they would wait a year to have a baby (like Jinger D Vuolo). It's unclear if they were actually prepared to do anything to prevent pregnancy.  I've heard similar stories from fundie Catholics. (People who were doing nothing to prevent pregnancy and still thought they would have at least a year before getting pregnant.)

• Love 1

On Josie & Kelton 'waiting a year' before another child; I think they may be relying on the breast feeding thing as birth control. We all know that is not a reliable method to delay conception. She is still open to it at any time, really. Look at Michelle Duggar and her back to back conceptions while still nursing.  Josie & Kelton need to get real and have a good plan for themselves. I'm sure God won't be mad at them for having their own desires and financial capabilities to consider in the children department.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

Josie also made a comment on Lauren's copying her. Actually I think Josie is less mature for commenting on it than Lauren is for copying her. 

I agree. I could scroll through my Facebook feed right now and find several "baby under a Christmas tree" posts. It's hardly a proprietary pose. Josie comes off really petty for even remarking on it. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

On Josie & Kelton 'waiting a year' before another child; I think they may be relying on the breast feeding thing as birth control. We all know that is not a reliable method to delay conception. She is still open to it at any time, really. Look at Michelle Duggar and her back to back conceptions while still nursing.  Josie & Kelton need to get real and have a good plan for themselves. I'm sure God won't be mad at them for having their own desires and financial capabilities to consider in the children department.

Josie's comment about waiting was regarding their first child. They wanted to wait a year. Obviously, that didn't happen, as Willow was a honeymoon baby.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Temperance said:

I agree. Go to Pinterest and Instagram today and you'll see dozens of babies positioned under trees while surrounded by presents. It's a cute photo. It makes Josie look very immature if she really has an issue with Lauren using the same pose. 

• Love 1

I would like to know just what kind of sex education these people receive from their parents before they marry. Josie and Kelton obviously didn't receive the correct information about how their bodies work. To publicly state that you would like to wait a year before children; then have a honeymoon baby is telling IMO. Yet, these same people say that they will have as many babies as God allows and won't use any birth control. Does this add up to anyone else? I hope they have learned a few things and consulted a real doctor about fertility and conception.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Josie responded on her instagram that it was not true that she made a comment about Lauren copying her. She said that she had nothing but love for Lauren and Bella.  

I am a pretty cynical person, but it doesn't seem like something Josie would say on social media. While she might have those feelings internally about Lauren, she is one of the more savvy ones in terms of social media. 

• Love 5
On 12/30/2019 at 5:29 AM, floridamom said:

I would like to know just what kind of sex education these people receive from their parents before they marry. Josie and Kelton obviously didn't receive the correct information about how their bodies work. To publicly state that you would like to wait a year before children; then have a honeymoon baby is telling IMO. Yet, these same people say that they will have as many babies as God allows and won't use any birth control. Does this add up to anyone else? I hope they have learned a few things and consulted a real doctor about fertility and conception.

When it's a given that the no birth control message has been driven home and to the moon and back many, many times I can't see any amount of sex education overcoming a young and healthy couple's desire to do what young and healthy couples do when at long last given the chance to be alone with complete privacy.       

• Love 3
On 12/31/2019 at 12:10 PM, Tikichick said:

When it's a given that the no birth control message has been driven home and to the moon and back many, many times I can't see any amount of sex education overcoming a young and healthy couple's desire to do what young and healthy couples do when at long last given the chance to be alone with complete privacy.       

It's the naivete that fundie couples think they won't get pregnant right away that I find odd.   I don't expect married couples to obstain and it's their business to have sex or start a family.  If you're having sex and leaving it up to God,  you should realise there's a good chance you're starting your family. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

It's the naivete that fundie couples think they won't get pregnant right away that I find odd.   I don't expect married couples to obstain and it's their business to have sex or start a family.  If you're having sex and leaving it up to God,  you should realise there's a good chance you're starting your family. 

True...In my family most of my cousins got pregnant between 15 and 19. They all said the same thing, "we weren't trying to get pregnant." If you aren't preventing, then you're essentially trying either actively or by tempting fate. Or in the words of my late grandmother, "there is no such thing as verbal birth control."

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I'm willing to give Josie (and other fundies) a pass on the *first* baby that happens quickly because realistically speaking, I don't think anyone knows for sure how quickly they will or won't get pregnant once actively engaging as well as not preventing. Not everyone is Fertile Myrtle and gets pregnant within one or two cycles. It's when they've had 2 or 3 kids and still act all surprised when yet again, somewhere around the current baby's 6th or 7th month, biology prevails (I'm looking at you, Erin). I still maintain that we'll really see how dedicated to the cause all the Bates adult children are, once they get into their 30s. Plenty of people have 3-4 kids close in age while in their 20s, but not plenty of people go on to have 5, 6, 7, 15, 20 babies while in their 30s and 40s. I'm willing to bet at least one Bates (my money's on Erin and Tori) will go on to have 8-10 or more, but my expectation is that at least some of them have or will have googled "ways to not get pregnant without artificial birth control" by the time they're 30ish and are older and more tired and ready to slow or stop the train (my money here is on Josie, Alyssa, and maybe Carlin). They all have smartphones and high speed internet and no excuses, IMO, to not learn how these things work now that they're adults, if they weren't educated properly as kids.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think quite a few will quietly use some form of birth control especially in their 30s.  I think by then many of them won't care nearly as much about their parents' opinions.  They've been held back developmentally so it will take them longer to begin following their own ideas.  For health reasons, it looks like Alyssa and John are already using birth control.  I believe that will spread through several of the second generation families.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, JessDVD said:

I'm willing to give Josie (and other fundies) a pass on the *first* baby that happens quickly because realistically speaking, I don't think anyone knows for sure how quickly they will or won't get pregnant once actively engaging as well as not preventing. Not everyone is Fertile Myrtle and gets pregnant within one or two cycles. It's when they've had 2 or 3 kids and still act all surprised when yet again, somewhere around the current baby's 6th or 7th month, biology prevails (I'm looking at you, Erin). I still maintain that we'll really see how dedicated to the cause all the Bates adult children are, once they get into their 30s. Plenty of people have 3-4 kids close in age while in their 20s, but not plenty of people go on to have 5, 6, 7, 15, 20 babies while in their 30s and 40s. I'm willing to bet at least one Bates (my money's on Erin and Tori) will go on to have 8-10 or more, but my expectation is that at least some of them have or will have googled "ways to not get pregnant without artificial birth control" by the time they're 30ish and are older and more tired and ready to slow or stop the train (my money here is on Josie, Alyssa, and maybe Carlin). They all have smartphones and high speed internet and no excuses, IMO, to not learn how these things work now that they're adults, if they weren't educated properly as kids.

I could see that if that wasn't for two things. Each of Josie's sisters except for Michael and her mother all got pregnant right away. I know every woman could be different but if your mother and four of your five married sisters got pregnant right away. That's enough to make you think the odds of it happening to you is pretty high. The second thing is these girls are always surprised they get pregnant. Josie's surprised. Erin was surprised all four pregnancies, Alyssa was surprised all three pregnancies, Tori was surprised, Carlin was surprised.  Every Duggar daughter and daughter-in-law was surprised. They are never not surprised by a pregnancy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Some of these girls have nice life styles that they did not have growing up. Alyssa, Josie and Whitney have their own homes. I don't know about Carlin. They manage to take weekend trips with their spouses and Alyssa talks about date night and girl's night out. They have stylish clothes and are able to dress their children well. They are smart enough to know that if the babies continue to come every year or two a lot of what they are enjoying now could go away. Especially since none of these women plan on working at anything other than some home based project. They are pretty much competely financially dependent on their spouses. So I have a feeling that after 3 or 4 babies they'll decide to limit the size of the family. Erin might not. 

• Love 4

Erin, IMO, appears to be obsessed with pregnancy/babies and Chad being the "aw shucks" fundie believer will continue to produce regardless if he can afford or not.  

Tori didn't appear to me to be all that thrilled with pregnancy and motherhood.  So not sure why they insist on pregnancy after pregnancy.

Allysa not sure why they continue to get pregnant with her health issues unless they are actively trying for a boy.  But they both seem more than willing to work to support the number of kids.

Josie although as expected got pregnant right away is kind of private like Alyssa and I haven't seen her much while pregnant and if they really want kid after kid after kid. 

Carlin, I expected to have a baby right off as she likes to be the center of attention. 

• Love 3
On 1/3/2020 at 8:24 PM, 65mickey said:

They are smart enough to know that if the babies continue to come every year or two a lot of what they are enjoying now could go away. Especially since none of these women plan on working at anything other than some home based project. They are pretty much competely financially dependent on their spouses. 

do you think that's why Bobby has already changed professions, from full time ministry to plumbing?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/5/2020 at 4:16 PM, LynneH said:

Tori didn't appear to me to be all that thrilled with pregnancy and motherhood.  So not sure why they insist on pregnancy after pregnancy.

Tori never looks thrilled about anything. Many of her siblings say that she loves children and wants a lot of them. She supposedly majored in education because of her love for children. Never mind that Crown has about four programs for women, including music ministry, education, business (secretarial) and cosmetology. 

Looking back at some of the older episodes, I can see that she is not quite as vocal about it as Michaela, but she is often seen holding a baby or interacting with a toddler more than the others. Maybe she really is a baby person but doesn't show that softer side on camera well? So far the only thing I've seen her overly happy about was the apartment in Hendersonville. 

Josie and Erin actually seemed less enthusiastic about childcare growing up. Erin was always shown more interested in her music and less invested in cleaning, cooking, etc. In the episode where Gil and Kelly are at Niagara Falls, Josie seems annoyed to have to feed and teach her younger siblings when Tori is sick. Maybe it was just a bad day. I'd probably be annoyed too that my parents made all these kids and go on vacay without them. 

Now that Erin is married, she's all about the babies. I don't know if it was a hidden desire of hers or if she simply is living up to appearances. She is very much like Kelly Jo and even Michelle Duggar in that she seems to thrive on that attention she gets from being pregnant. That whole thing where she was so insistent that everyone be there for her to give birth to Everly and was demanding they find Tori and Bobby who wouldn't come to the door screamed attention seeking. 

Alyssa and Josie seem much more private about it and don't seem to want neon signs pointing at their bellies. Alyssa doesn't allow cameras in the delivery room and Josie did not allow filming per her IG. I wonder how the show will address that with Josie. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 3

So it looks like Kelton launched his own plumbing business -- Tennessee Standard -- and is working for his own business rather than for his uncle's business. And bestie Bobby went along with him and works for Kelton now. Looks like Kelton and Josie are on their way to being well to do, which is what I'm sure he wants because from the looks of it, he works long hours and grew up in a nice well to do home himself -- with his dad owning his own IT company, driving a luxury car etc. He doesn't seem like he'd want to live Erin and Chad style with 4 kids in a 2 room "cottage." By his IG videos, he seems to love plumbing.

Hope he brought some competent employees with him or maybe he'll start small and handle all the jobs himself until he is so booked he needs to hire another master plumber bc Bobby -- while nice -- doesn't seem to have the expertise/experience Kelton does and always seems more like a helper in their IG videos and honestly doesn't seem like he's really into it either. I mean being a plumber provides for his growing family and allows him to spend days with BFF Kelton and to be away from his wife, but honestly I've never seen the same excitement from his as from Kelton when he describes installing a tankless water heater or moving someone's pipes so they can reno the bathroom to have both a tub and shower or whatever.

• Love 4

From Kelton’s Instagram post announcing the launch of the company it sounds like Bobby will be handling the administrative end of the business. 
I just hope all of his in-laws don’t take advantage of him and expect free plumbing services the way they use Chad.   He needs to build up a clientele and get paid!

• Love 6
On 1/26/2020 at 2:04 PM, 3 is enough said:

From Kelton’s Instagram post announcing the launch of the company it sounds like Bobby will be handling the administrative end of the business. 
I just hope all of his in-laws don’t take advantage of him and expect free plumbing services the way they use Chad.   He needs to build up a clientele and get paid!

Honestly I don't see Kelton giving away his services all the time, the way that Chad does. I mean I could see Bobby being Mr. Nice Guy and promising Gil that "they" will come take a look at the pipes or snake the drains or whatever, but even then I could see Kelton putting his foot down and doing it once and saying -- sorry all jobs go thru me. And Josie seems not to be obsessed with her family and seems to distance herself, so unlike Princess Erin I don't see her volunteering Kelton if he privately tells her not to and that he needs the time to be doing real jobs around the community that pay $$$ so they can get a bigger house or go on vacation or whatever. 

Kelton while he seems cool with his inlaws also seems like he keeps a polite wall up -- who knows maybe it all goes back to being told by Gil all those years ago that he couldn't date Josie. But the people he chills with the most in the family are BFF Bobby and maybe Evan and Zach to some degree; we don't see him running to join the Law, Trace, Nathan clique at all. And if anything Zach gets his grifting family ways and has probably quietly told Kelton to not go offering his services all the time; hell Josie probably told him that -- at her cosmetology grad party Gil loudly announced -- OMG we'll never have to pay for a haircut again -- and she in front of everyone was like -- uh yeah that's not happening. I also don't see Kelton's business becoming the repository of future unemployable Bates sons and sons in law; I see him saying -- if you really want to work here, got to plumbing school, get certified, get an apprenticeship and then if I have a need, I may be able to hire you.

K just hasn't gotten obsessed with his wife's side of the family and clearly has drawn lines -- bc you see him hanging out a lot with his dad and his own siblings/family (and requiring Josie to do the same not just going there solo while she runs to mommy and daddy) -- unlike say Evan, Chad and Bobby to some extent who may as well change their names to Bates.

And on a different note -- Bobby's whole life seems like a consolation prize. Annoying wife that he clearly does not like -- but at least he gets his namesake son and another. Didn't want to move to Knox or be a plumber, but at least he gets to hang out with his bestie 40 hrs a wk. That guy is going to end up on the Chad track for aging -- not because he's overworked, just because he's 24, already unhappy and some part of him is probably thinking -- is this it, for the rest of my life? Just looking forward to work bc of Kelton?? Though that's probably why you shouldn't jump to marry someone that you've known for a few months/a yr long distance and they seem kinda annoying but your bestie is getting married as are all your friends from bible college and you don't want to be the only guy not having sex . . . .

• Love 10
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

Sometimes great friends can't be good business partners. It looks like Bobby works FOR Kelton. I hope their friendship isn't strained down the line because of it. This is Kelton's company and he's the boss.

I agree and I've said the same thing about the sisters' boutique. How long is it gonna be before one gets mad at the other because she's on her umpteenth baby and isn't pulling her weight? It often gets dicey when you mix business with family/friends. 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I agree and I've said the same thing about the sisters' boutique. How long is it gonna be before one gets mad at the other because she's on her umpteenth baby and isn't pulling her weight? It often gets dicey when you mix business with family/friends. 

Agreed. I have lost friends over group projects at school. I can't see going into business with even my best friends. I still think the boutique isn't a sustainable project and will remain in the vanity project realm. The quality looks low and the prices could not possibly support number of people working on the project. 

At least Kelton has a useful skill and actual licenses to back him up on it. I wonder what Bobby's parents think of this particular move. They probably paid a pretty penny to get him through school only for him to end up in Tennessee, married with a baby and a half, and a junior plumber who knows how to put together youth groups at church. I'm not knocking plumbers. Kelton has the actual knowledge and skills. Bobby, not so much. 

• Love 4

The sisters boutique is not going to last forever.  The novelty will wear off and the market for frumpy cheap dresses is not huge.  Look at LuLaRoe- their stuff was everywhere a few years back and now it seems to be an afterthought.  

If they can all make a bit of money while it lasts- to maybe get down payments for houses or pay down existing mortgages then it will have served its purpose.

When things go south (and they will), I can see a post announcing that "The Lord has called us to spend more time with our families". 

I will say this about Kelton:  He seems to be a hard worker and he obviously loves his trade.  His Instagram feed has lots of photos of various jobs he has done.  I'm sure his company will do well.  I have never watched Bringing Up Bates so I haven't seen the relationships he has with Josie's family, but from what I have read here and seen on social media he and Josie do seem more stand-offish, like Alyssa.  After all, didn't they get a one bedroom apartment so they could not have guests?  They seem to understand that they have to keep the rest of the Bates clan in check.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Agreed. I have lost friends over group projects at school. I can't see going into business with even my best friends. I still think the boutique isn't a sustainable project and will remain in the vanity project realm. The quality looks low and the prices could not possibly support number of people working on the project. 

At least Kelton has a useful skill and actual licenses to back him up on it. I wonder what Bobby's parents think of this particular move. They probably paid a pretty penny to get him through school only for him to end up in Tennessee, married with a baby and a half, and a junior plumber who knows how to put together youth groups at church. I'm not knocking plumbers. Kelton has the actual knowledge and skills. Bobby, not so much. 

I think one of the reasons they've remained best friends for so long is because one is the leader and the other is the follower.  Kelton is the strong personality, who knows what he wants and will work hard to achieve that goal.  Bobby is more of an affable sort and appears to be just fine following along to whatever "path" appears in front of him.  Both personality types can be successful. 

• Love 5

I tend to agree with @LynneH that K and Bobby's friendship may work because of opposite personalities. Kelton definitely seems to have pursued and continues to pursue exactly what he wants -- went to PCC bc he wanted to go to his late mother's college; wanted to be a plumber so he did trade school/certification in his late teens/early 20s; went to his uncle's plumbing co. for a bunch of summers and also for 1-2 years post-college to gain experience; now his own business; pursued Josie even when her father was saying no . . . . Incidentally I think he's a guy whose smile reaches his eyes because he is living the life he wants, not the life that he fell into bc of others. And who knows -- we don't know much about how he was parented but maybe Michael did impart onto his kids to do what makes them happy NOW, don't wait.

Bobby OTOH -- seems to just end up wherever others take him, like many 24 yr old guys. Moved to a trailer in Knox bc his inlaws wanted to; gave up his supposed dream of ministry and left Nashville in 9 mos bc Tori; plumbing bc Kelton. Bet his parents wish he was figuring life out in a corporate position, not low paid jobs cooked up by friends and inlaws.

It'll work in the sense that Bobby doesn't seem like the type who'd be offended at taking instructions from Kelton -- in fact he probably wants/needs instruction. But there is a difference btwn Kelton carrying him in college on a group project vs. now.

This is a real small business (not a online store with your sisters) that needs to bring in $$$ so he can support his wife/kid. While he's named Bobby Administrative Director or some such thing -- reality is that just entails answering the phone/scheduling and minding the books (which you better believe Kelton will also mind himself too). That's not really what Kelton needs -- K is paying someone to do tasks that he could mostly do after hrs; K ultimately needs another confident and experienced plumber. With 2 plumbers he could send Bobby out on small jobs and do the more complex ones -- double the time billed out. But as it stands, Bobby can't go anywhere alone -- from K's IG videos Bobby is very much just a helper. Honestly if Bobby really wants to be a plumber (which I don't think he does), he would've done better to stay the uncle's much bigger business, gotten a few yrs experience and completed the apprenticeship and certification and THEN joined Kelton in a few years when he could really help him grow the business. 

• Love 6

Josie recently announced her big news. She and a friend are starting a wedding hair and makeup business, Effortless Beauty. She seems like a hard worker and weddings are a beig deal in their community so it will probably do well.  At least she is not hawking a snake oil product.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Josie recently announced her big news. She and a friend are starting a wedding hair and makeup business, Effortless Beauty. She seems like a hard worker and weddings are a beig deal in their community so it will probably do well.  At least she is not hawking a snake oil product.

Oh, thank God! I was afraid she got sucked into Plexus or some other MLM.

This is a smart move for Josie. It allows her to make some cash and she only has to work weekends. 

• Love 6
On 1/27/2020 at 11:00 PM, cereality said:

Honestly I don't see Kelton giving away his services all the time, the way that Chad does. I mean I could see Bobby being Mr. Nice Guy and promising Gil that "they" will come take a look at the pipes or snake the drains or whatever, but even then I could see Kelton putting his foot down and doing it once and saying -- sorry all jobs go thru me. And Josie seems not to be obsessed with her family and seems to distance herself, so unlike Princess Erin I don't see her volunteering Kelton if he privately tells her not to and that he needs the time to be doing real jobs around the community that pay $$$ so they can get a bigger house or go on vacation or whatever. 

Kelton while he seems cool with his inlaws also seems like he keeps a polite wall up -- who knows maybe it all goes back to being told by Gil all those years ago that he couldn't date Josie. But the people he chills with the most in the family are BFF Bobby and maybe Evan and Zach to some degree; we don't see him running to join the Law, Trace, Nathan clique at all. And if anything Zach gets his grifting family ways and has probably quietly told Kelton to not go offering his services all the time; hell Josie probably told him that -- at her cosmetology grad party Gil loudly announced -- OMG we'll never have to pay for a haircut again -- and she in front of everyone was like -- uh yeah that's not happening. I also don't see Kelton's business becoming the repository of future unemployable Bates sons and sons in law; I see him saying -- if you really want to work here, got to plumbing school, get certified, get an apprenticeship and then if I have a need, I may be able to hire you.

K just hasn't gotten obsessed with his wife's side of the family and clearly has drawn lines -- bc you see him hanging out a lot with his dad and his own siblings/family (and requiring Josie to do the same not just going there solo while she runs to mommy and daddy) -- unlike say Evan, Chad and Bobby to some extent who may as well change their names to Bates.

And on a different note -- Bobby's whole life seems like a consolation prize. Annoying wife that he clearly does not like -- but at least he gets his namesake son and another. Didn't want to move to Knox or be a plumber, but at least he gets to hang out with his bestie 40 hrs a wk. That guy is going to end up on the Chad track for aging -- not because he's overworked, just because he's 24, already unhappy and some part of him is probably thinking -- is this it, for the rest of my life? Just looking forward to work bc of Kelton?? Though that's probably why you shouldn't jump to marry someone that you've known for a few months/a yr long distance and they seem kinda annoying but your bestie is getting married as are all your friends from bible college and you don't want to be the only guy not having sex . . . .

what is the story on Gil telling K he couldn't date Josie...I missed it and need the deets!!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Dimi1 said:

what is the story on Gil telling K he couldn't date Josie...I missed it and need the deets!!

Kelton had it bad for Josie when she was 15. Gil basically sent him away and told him to come back when she was older. 

Happy that Josie is pursuing her own business. I’m sure that her work hours will be family friendly so she can balance work and home life. Glad to see she’s still making use of her education. A lot of people said she’d probably be a SAHM, but she’s very young and clearly has a passion for the beauty industry.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Roaring 20s is a fun theme, but I cannot get over the cognitive dissonance of religious fundamentalists dressing up as flappers, mobsters and bootleggers. One hundred years ago they would have been denouncing those people as destroying the fabric of America.

A few other pics via Brandon and Michaela's Insta:

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 5