Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Let’s Talk About Dr Phil the Show

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Both girls should have dumb phones (for making phone calls ONLY).  Home computers should go through a router, and the password should be changed daily.  Once the girls have EARNED the password for the day, they can get online.  And the first time there's a problem on any given day, the password is changed again.  

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

She looked so shocked that Phil had access to her idiot behavior without understanding the ANYONE can have that same access.  There is no privacy on the internet.  She's too stupid to see that all her posts to Instagram, FB, Twitter and even Snapchat are out there in cyber space forever. 

It really baffles me that kids today think nothing of posting idiotic or illegal behavior all over social media. This girl is definitely cockamamie, that's for certain. I just wonder what twists and turns we're in for today re: the parents.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I sure hope the girls in that family aren't being hurt, but as of right now, my opinion is they are brats. The 15 yo, like a lot of teenagers, thinks she is invincible, just having fun, isn't hurting anybody, it's my life, parents just don't understand yadda yadda.  However, she showed just how immature and naive she really is when she looked so astounded that Dr. Phil had her social media posts.  She looked so shocked that Phil had access to her idiot behavior without understanding the ANYONE can have that same access.  There is no privacy on the internet.  She's too stupid to see that all her posts to Instagram, FB, Twitter and even Snapchat are out there in cyber space forever.  As for her plans to get a good job & go to college...she obviously was unaware (til Phil pointed it out) that all her illegal activities will be seen by college admissions and employers.  Even employers in small sandwich shops or grocery stores have access to Google.  

I LOL'd so hard when she realized that her social media posts were public and that her only real concern was "Which ones do I need to look at and learn more about?" That was priceless!

23 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

When I was watching the dad locking the bedroom door with a belt, I thought of a much better use for that belt. My parents didn't hesitate to whip me when I misbehaved, not minor things either. I once decided it would be fun to hide in the ditch in front of our house and dart out in front of cars when they drove by. I darted in front of a large truck and my mother dragged me inside and locked me in my room. When Dad got home, I got a whipping I still remember to this day.... and I never, ever misbehaved like that again. I was five.

I wonder if the parents have overindulged their kids to the point now the kids think they are owed whatever they want? Looks like it.

I don't advocate for the use of force. There are ways to deal with children that do not involve abuse, whether physical, verbal, or mental/emotional. I lied to my father about some dumb thing when I was in 8th grade. He whipped me with his belt until he split it in two and left me black-and-blue from my knees to my waist. I had gym class that semester at school and everyone saw it. This was 1985. So, there was no child protective services called or anything like that. Everyone failed me. One of my first memories is from when I was four. I got sick after dinner one evening and vomited on the way to the bathroom. My mother came into the bathroom and started hitting and kicking me for not getting to the toilet before I vomited. My father then came in the bathroom and started hitting and kicking my mother for hitting and kicking me. To this day, I am terrified of vomiting - to the point that I'd rather be sick and miserable than vomit. Even in high school, if my mother raised her hand, I would recoil out of the expectation I was about to be hit; this would prompt her to cackle at me for recoiling and then claim she wasn't going to hit me - even though she'd raised her hand in that exact manner. When I was 12, I entered their bedroom carrying the butcher knife while they were sleeping and weighed whether I should stab them both to death in their sleep and whether that would allow me and my brother to go live with our aunt and uncle in Cadott, WI. I'm still not sure why I didn't murder them in their sleep. I remember concluding that going to live with my aunt and uncle after killing them was an unlikely outcome and decided the hell I was living in was better than the potential hell I could end up in.

Using violence on children teaches them that violence solves problems. It certainly contributed to my very serious anger management problems in young adulthood, which problems very nearly destroyed my relationship with my wife. All of which is a big part of why I don't have children of my own. (I wouldn't have been a fit parent at the time I would have been having children. I'm honestly not sure I'd be a fit parent at 45 years old.)

• Love 8

@AZChristian We did. By some miracle, we did. And other than poisoning our landlord's son in 8th grade for bullying me, I managed not to harm anyone on the way through. heh

ETA: He lived. Got his stomach pumped the same day, and never so much as spoke a word to me ever again.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 5

Okay, this out of control teen is ridiculous. Her wailing about how unfair it is that she will have to give up her phone is hysterical.

I finished watching. They didn't talk at ALL about the parents, which was weird. Instead they focused exclusively on these girls, and I noticed something: the 15-year-old was DELIGHTED by the attention she was getting. She would say something outrageous like "I'll kill myself!" and then smile when her mom gave her the shocked "no! Don't say that!" reaction. These parents have completely conditioned her to behave in the most radical ways to get attention, and she LOVES it. 

TL:DR; the parents suck at parenting, and the kids suck in general.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 7

The problem is that residential treatment only has a 30% success rate. I suspect that the 13 year-old will be like Danielle (cash me outside) girl who will be out of control again in a very short period of time. The 15 year-old's whining was getting under my skin.

Yes, I do believe that Dad hit her. Not to excuse his abusive behavior but most parents would struggle with these brats. Mom seemed fake to me. 

Would someone explain to me why either one of these brats would have a phone?

• Love 4

I can't explain to you why either one of these brats would have a phone. All the older one could wail was "I won't have my phone!!!!!!" Wail, wail, wail. We have no money-uh. I don't want to do to a program-uh. Apparently, this behavior has worked in the past with the worthless parents and both of these girls thought it would work with Phil and the staff from the "program". Thank goodness, it didn't. I really don't have much hope that once these monsters go back home, anything will have changed with them or the parents. If one of my children screamed at me, threw something at me, stole my car, sneaked out at night, smoked dope, drank, etc, I'd have knocked them into next Tuesday and dared them to call the police. I do not negotiate with terrorists that live in my home and for whom I pay all of the bills. Get the hell out of my house and go live in a shelter if that's what you choose to do because you refuse to live by our rules. No teenage child of mine is going to abuse me or make my home a living hell. 

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I can't explain to you why either one of these brats would have a phone. All the older one could wail was "I won't have my phone!!!!!!" Wail, wail, wail. We have no money-uh. I don't want to do to a program-uh. Apparently, this behavior has worked in the past with the worthless parents and both of these girls thought it would work with Phil and the staff from the "program". Thank goodness, it didn't. I really don't have much hope that once these monsters go back home, anything will have changed with them or the parents. If one of my children screamed at me, threw something at me, stole my car, sneaked out at night, smoked dope, drank, etc, I'd have knocked them into next Tuesday and dared them to call the police. I do not negotiate with terrorists that live in my home and for whom I pay all of the bills. Get the hell out of my house and go live in a shelter if that's what you choose to do because you refuse to live by our rules. No teenage child of mine is going to abuse me or make my home a living hell. 

Well, what she actually said was, "I won't have my phoooone-uh!"  She drove me crazy by putting an extra syllable on the last word of every sentence.  I have zero sympathy for either one of the spoiled brats.  WTH are parents thinking nowadays?  SMH

• Love 5

If I had a nasty child like these, I would tell them:  The FIRST punishment will be NO PHONE.  Non-negotiable.  You will get progressively worse punishments after that, but it will ALWAYS include NO PHONE.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Showthyme said:

Would someone explain to me why either one of these brats would have a phone?

A cousin of mine gave his 7-yr old an iPhone and an iPad. She'll probably be like these two when she's older.

Let me clarify, when my father whipped me for running into traffic, he didn't hit me so hard that I'd consider it abusive. It was just a spanking like we knew we'd get if we messed up. Believe me, I didn't mess up again after that. Yes, I did things all teenagers do (drinking pony Millers when we were 16) but I didn't do anything irresponsible like drinking/driving, stealing my mom's car, tearing up the house, telling my parents to go to hell or shut the fuck up. I was raised to respect my elders, and not with threats or fear. 

I'm really surprised Phil didn't read the parents the riot act. Granny didn't add much, I was really hoping she'd tell all about whether or not the parents were abusive. She didn't, so I doubt they were. They seem to be more worried about hurting the kids' feelings than anything. Bad parents all the way around.

• Love 4

That BRAT was so annoying!! The only thing she cared about was her phone!!  She said she never wanted to see her parents again and when Dr. Phil "kindly" offered to send her away so she wouldn't have to see them, she cried and then cried about her phone!!  And the younger sister is already equal to the older one. At the end saying to her parents something like "you're evil." "I hate you." "You're not my family, we (pointing to her sister and herself) are family."  How did this ever happen??  No boundaries?? No consequences??  No actual raising of this two?   

BTW I have to say I have seen this type of behavior before but it is usually only one of several children acting this way.  In the families I have known the parents are loving, strict, fun and work hard for all of their kids.  Yet one has to be the "rebel".  Luckily the rest of the children see them as an anomaly.  And after some very close calls the "child" sees the light and all are currently pretty good young adults!

• Love 4
13 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah but he did admit to smacking her. He said "I didn't punch you in the face, I smacked you in the head." Maybe we'll find out more today, but something is off with this guy. Saying "I was trained in the military, if I'd abused you you would have been hospitalized" is not the same as saying "I never hit you." It's basically saying if I went all-out, I'd be caught (so I didn't).

To be honest, that statement by LtColPushover sounded just a little bit gaslight-y to me:  "I can't be really abusing you, because you'd be completely f'ed up if I were," can lay the groundwork for under-the-radar, but still abusive, stuff.  That being said, I defy any DA to find a jury of 12 men and women anywhere that would convict him of anything if he just offed her.  She's that obnoxious.

I wonder how much of this is at the feet of PassiveMom.  $hill said that LtColPushover had served 7 tours in the Middle East, as I recall.  I'm guessing each tour lasts a year, right?  That's almost 50% of Madison-aaaah's life that he's been out of sight; probably well over 50% once you factor in the time preparing for deployment and the time to re-acclimate upon return, and if he's at all typical there's surely a sizable helping of post-traumatic stress he has to deal with.  That means PassiveMom has to have been the only regular authority figure in her life - LtColPushover couldn't be much more than a Johnny-come-lately stepfather to her.  Madison-aaaah alluded to a threatened separation between the parents and sneered at PassiveMom for not following through with it, so I'm guessing that she's absorbing a good bit of PassiveMom's passive-aggression toward LtColPushover, adding her own resentment at his extended absences, and amping it up several orders of magnitude in order to produce the trainwreck we've seen the last two days.

The only one who came off looking good here was (believe it or not) $hill.  LtColPushover was too busy trying to win an argument with Madison-aaaah, PassiveMom was off in her own world, Grandma didn't have much to say, and only $hill seemed to be prepared to lay down the law to Madison-aaaah. 

• Love 4

Madison is a total out-of-control spoiled brat, and so is her sister. Her pathetic parents are CLUELESS and are the reason that both daughter are out of control. POOR parenting.

I have one question for Madison's parents.  Why didn't you hide the car keys the first time she stole it?  300+ she did this! 

Dad was trying to soothe her about going into that program while still on the stage immediately after Dr Phil talked to them about being strong and standing up to her!  He didn't hear a word.  Nothing is going to change with this family.  It will be back to the same grid the day she comes home.  

• Love 3

Was it ever mentioned where these people live? I want to avoid the town and possible car accidents....and follow their local news for what will undoubtedly be front page stories about these two girls going to jail.

• Love 3

My take on this story is that Dad has been away for most of these girls' lives and Mom has always been their buddy and let them do whatever.  When Dad comes home and tries to get them to behave they rebel to get their way and Mom just goes along.  I can't see the girls having been abused when they are the ones that are beating on their Dad.  If they had been the ones that were abused, one would think that they would be a little afraid and they definitely are not.  They feel they can get away with anything and they do.  It was strange that when they were wailing away-ah Madison was busy texting the whole time and all of a sudden she decided that maybe she would go along with the program.  One wonders if someone came up with some sort of escape plan for them so they figured they would dupe everyone and pretend to go along.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, marionette said:

Mom has always been their buddy and let them do whatever.

Exactly. That's what I saw also, especially when Madison was crying about not wanting to go into the program, she kept turning to Mom to bail her out. When Mom kept saying "I'm in the middle" I am so glad Phil set her straight. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Exactly. That's what I saw also, especially when Madison was crying about not wanting to go into the program, she kept turning to Mom to bail her out. When Mom kept saying "I'm in the middle" I am so glad Phil set her straight. 

When I heard that the dad had been deployed 7 times, I figured he was pretty much absent as the kids were getting older. He's retired so they must have been little when he started deploying. If you figure that each deployment was about 10-11 months, he was gone for years. I have no idea what was going on in the house while he was gone, but it's pretty clear discipline wasn't involved. 

Since when is the harshest punishment parents dole out taking a phone away temporarily? WTF is up with that? Clearly they give the phone back because the kid had one in her damn hand. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Since when is the harshest punishment parents dole out taking a phone away temporarily? WTF is up with that? Clearly they give the phone back because the kid had one in her damn hand. 

Since we don't physically punish our 15 year old son, taking away electronics is the most effective way to punish him.  After watching the insanity of those two episodes, I had to hug the kid extra hard because we argue about laundry and bedtimes, not drugs and car theft.

• Love 6

Was David Cassidy drunk, slightly, today? My fiance used to work as a counselor/manager at a men's home here that gave alcoholics a place to go when they had no where else. He thinks David has "wet brain", that he's used alcohol so much it's affecting his ability to speak. Not just the dementia. And he thinks he wasn't sober today.

• Love 1

I don't normally watch Dr. Phil, but just happened to see that my teen crush was going to be interviewed today so I tuned in.  I almost wish I hadn't as it was very sad to watch.   

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2/28/2017 at 9:33 AM, cooksdelight said:

When I was watching the dad locking the bedroom door with a belt, I thought of a much better use for that belt. My parents didn't hesitate to whip me when I misbehaved, not minor things either. I once decided it would be fun to hide in the ditch in front of our house and dart out in front of cars when they drove by. I darted in front of a large truck and my mother dragged me inside and locked me in my room. When Dad got home, I got a whipping I still remember to this day.... and I never, ever misbehaved like that again. I was five.

I wonder if the parents have overindulged their kids to the point now the kids think they are owed whatever they want? Looks like it.

I usually agree with you.  On this post I am absolutely not agreeing with you.  We don't believe in physical punishment and guess what (?) no kids with drugs, drinking and all kids have college degrees and a lot of them have master degrees.  We believe in modeling good behavior and being strict but loving.  A 5 year old is darting into the street and the 5 year old gets a whipping?  I say the parent was not doing her job in monitoring the child.  At the age of 5 a child can't wrap their head around danger and consequences.  When I was 5 I was locked in the backyard and could go out front on a suburban street when a parent was out there.  If trucks are driving by then your road was not a side street but a fairly major road.  It's like when parents spank a toddler for running out in the road and we find out later that a child will lose trust in the parent and will always run from the parent.  I always hate seeing parents who let their little ones wander in the parking lot while they empty out their shopping carts.  Your kids are worth more than anything in the shopping cart.  Having your child fear you should not be a goal.  Having your child respect you and know that you are there for them and have their best interests at heart should be the goal.  My brother's son was in kindergarten and knew his bedtime was 7:30 and knew he had to have a bath.  His parents usually would get him in the house by 6:45.  He debated my brother that if he showered he could cut bath time in half and still be in bed by 7:30.  My brother heard him out and listened to his good points and then looked at the clock and it was 7:10 and said, "I see your point and agree with you.  It is 7:10 now so take a shower and I will see you in bed in 20 minutes".  They both laughed and we still laugh, the boy is 28 years old now.

21 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Let me clarify, when my father whipped me for running into traffic, he didn't hit me so hard that I'd consider it abusive. It was just a spanking like we knew we'd get if we messed up. Believe me, I didn't mess up again after that. Yes, I did things all teenagers do (drinking pony Millers when we were 16) but I didn't do anything irresponsible like drinking/driving, stealing my mom's car, tearing up the house, telling my parents to go to hell or shut the fuck u

But you did mess up.  You drank at 16 when it is against the law to do so.  I still maintain your mother was at fault and not you.

On 2/28/2017 at 10:07 AM, MrSmith said:

Using violence on children teaches them that violence solves problems. It certainly contributed to my very serious anger management problems in young adulthood, which problems very nearly destroyed my relationship with my wife. All of which is a big part of why I don't have children of my own. (I wouldn't have been a fit parent at the time I would have been having children. I'm honestly not sure I'd be a fit parent at 45 years old.)

So sorry to hear your story.  My dad was a huge alcoholic and would just punch anyone in the family for whatever reason his alcohol riddled brain imagined. My mother, thank God, got us out of there and had us all in counseling.  Just your own statement shows you recognize it was not the right way to raise kids is most of the battle of breaking the cycle.

On 2/28/2017 at 8:31 AM, MrSmith said:

Force her to do her own laundry, her own cooking (all supervised, of course).

Why isn't a 15 year old not already doing this.  My kids started doing their own laundry at 10.  We all share in cooking.  I do agree with your super supervision though.  I would have added therapy.  There is something wrong here.

23 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I finished watching. They didn't talk at ALL about the parents, which was weird.

I am wondering if Dr. Phil is just trying to get everyone separated and then will look into what the hell is going on with the parents.  This family is extreme and I can't believe it is this bad.  My Nephew-in-law is a soldier and his son is 1 years old and I do know that when he got back from deployment he was very shell shocked himself and even 6 months later he is hesitant to discipline (without hitting) his son.  I think, along with the war part, they feel guilty about being away from their children.

21 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

A cousin of mine gave his 7-yr old an iPhone and an iPad. She'll probably be like these two when she's older.

Let's not get crazy here.  I agree an iphone is way too much money for a 7 yr old.  I think kids need to have a phone, one that just allows calling parents is fine.  My sister's kid was at a sleepover with a family she knew, or thought she knew, very well.  The parents were drunk and took the kids at the sleepover out for ice cream.  Thank goodness she role played scenarios with her kid and he knew to find a mom with kids and ask to use her phone to call his parents.  How scary is that?

Kids today are sometimes called the Digitals generation or 2kers.  They have been born after 2000 and have always had technology in their homes and in their schools.  Most schools are issuing them iPads or laptops in kindergarted.  If you don't get on board with tech with your kids they will be behind.  We oldsters think of laptops and tablets as a treat while they think of these items as necessity and they are right.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1

I was a huge fan of "The Partridge Family" and David Cassidy's music. I only saw part of today's show with him and was so saddened to see him, listen to him and see what he's come to today. He looks awful probably due to his alcoholism. My mom had Alzheimer's for 10 years before she died and it was beyond horrible to watch her lose her life, us and her grandchildren. I'm sure it terrifies David after watching his family members progress through this awful disease. I kind of think he's just given up between the alcoholism and the demetia diagnosis. Bless his sweet heart. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I watched Cassidy for about 10 minutes,  what an unappealing man. 

What we saw today was just a shell of the man he used to be.  I was a fan during The Partridge Family, then had a long lapse of not following his career.

Then in 1996 he was in the play Blood Brothers in Toronto and I got to see him for the first time in person.  I also waited at the stage door after the the show and got to meet him.  Of course this was almost 21 years ago, but the David I met back then was nothing like the man Dr. Phil interviewed.  Before I went to the play I watched some tv interviews of him and he was an extremely charming and exuberant interviewee. I admit I expected him to be the same when I met him, but he was the opposite, in that he was rather reserved. But he signed autographs and took pictures with the fans who waited to see him, and could not have been any more gracious.  That's the David I want to remember.  

• Love 8

Did anyone notice that at the end of the Brat Siblings episode, the parents had given up on calling the junior brat, "the 13 year old" and just used her real name, Liz? 

I don't think I've cared less for two children than those little assholes. What the older one said to her grandmother was disgusting.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, buffynut said:

What we saw today was just a shell of the man he used to be.  I was a fan during The Partridge Family, then had a long lapse of not following his career.

Then in 1996 he was in the play Blood Brothers in Toronto and I got to see him for the first time in person.  I also waited at the stage door after the the show and got to meet him.  Of course this was almost 21 years ago, but the David I met back then was nothing like the man Dr. Phil interviewed.  Before I went to the play I watched some tv interviews of him and he was an extremely charming and exuberant interviewee. I admit I expected him to be the same when I met him, but he was the opposite, in that he was rather reserved. But he signed autographs and took pictures with the fans who waited to see him, and could not have been any more gracious.  That's the David I want to remember.  

I saw David Cassidy in 1972 at the Garden. I love the Partridge family

it was so sad to see him today. I hope he has good people around him to help him and takes dr phils help

• Love 7

I was never a big David Cassidy fan when I was a teenager although I had a few Partridge Family albums, but when I stumbled upon the Dr. Phil show today I was completely SHOCKED.  He had fallen off my radar years ago and I had no preparation for what I saw on the screen.  His physical appearance and mental state were frightening and nothing like I remember him to be.  How heartbreaking for all his fans and most of all him......It looks to me like the alcoholism and the dementia are working together to create a kind of specific condition.  He is definitely in denial about that performance we saw the video of.  I remember that his father was an alcoholic and I always thought he kept himself extra busy to avoid becoming like him, although it seems that was not to be.  I had heard that his house was up for auction a week or so ago so I had a feeling something was up with him.  So sad, I hope he takes up Dr. Phil's offer for help.  It looks like he wants that.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:41 AM, MrSmith said:

I think the super hero son is bipolar. The way he describes himself seems to fit. I'm surprised the parents are incapable of working on finding a solution and helping him that stops short of going on Dr Phil. I can't imagine that they couldn't have sat down and talked to him and said, "Look. We think there is clearly something wrong with you. We're going to pay for you to see a counselor and get tested. And once we know what's going on, then we can figure out how best to help you going forward."

Maybe it came on so gradually that they didn't realize until it was too late? The family implied that he'd had jobs before but would get fired for sleeping on the job or not going. They might not have thought it was a mental thing, until recently.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:33 AM, cooksdelight said:

I have to admit when I saw Dad locking the door with a belt I was like, "Really? You're really that afraid that your 15 yr old is going to stab you while you sleep?" I mean, I totally believe that she was out of control, but it seemed a bit much.

Another thing, boys get sent to these ranches and boot camps...why is it that Dr Phil does so few shows with teen males? Why isn't he yelling at car stealing pot smoking young men?

• Love 1

Once again, a cutesy moniker for another one of the monsters Phillip has as guests. A guy murders two innocent people in their home, eats their faces, and then stabs the neighbor who attempts to save them and you refer to him as "The Florida Frat Boy?" Seriously?!

• Love 5

Why in the world did he have this monster on his show? I watched as much as I could stomach and saw no redeeming value in televising this train wreck. What the hell is wrong with Phil?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I skipped the face eater.

My wife and I watched this episode. To us, the kid was faking being sorry and being upset about what he did. His crying just came off as crocodile tears. On the upside, he doesn't deny what he did. So, I figure the trial is going to be about whether he was/is sane. His father is a doctor. So, he's probably been exposed to enough information to know how to sound schizophrenic. At least, that's the impression we got. Supposedly, according to Dr Phil's after the show update, the kid's tox screen came back clean, but take that with a grain of salt because flakka can be expunged by the body within 3 to 4 hours - and I'm sure it took longer than that for the police to get a blood sample taken for testing. On balance, based on the descriptions of how he behaved and how strong he was at the time of the attack, it sounds like he was high on flakka or some other "bath salt". And based on how he behaved and what he said while talking to Dr Phil, he came off as having researched schizophrenia enough to know what to say and how to act. An example is that Dr Phil asked him which number he likes the least (of the numbers 1 through 9, inclusive) and he chose 6. Dr Phil had written down the number 6 before he'd asked that question (supposedly; I'm not entirely sure this is true) and said that people with OCD tend to dislike the number 6. To my mind, that's something that's probably in psychiatric and psychology books, which should be something you could at least find online. The whole thing was sketchy and Dr Phil ended up looking like he got hoodwinked by this kid. I don't really care whether he gets the death penalty or not. No matter what the final outcome of that is, we think this kid should be locked for the rest of his life.

• Love 7

@cooksdelight You're welcome. "And trying to find an excuse that a jury might buy." This is an excellent summation. He's in Texas and so the death penalty is a real possibility. I am generally against the death penalty, and I don't think what he did quite rises to that level. He seems like someone who could actually reform themselves and gain some insight into themselves, given the time and whatever assistance they might require for this; therefore, someone who could eventually be released back into society without reoffending and actually be a productive member of society. Of course, Texas prisons have historically been manglers of prisoners' souls; so, you never know.

I think Phil has these people on because he thinks he is smarter than everyone else and will somehow extract some kind of confession or get some insight no one else has. I can't believe someone would do something like this without being either on powerful drugs or severally mentally ill. This young man didn't come across as mentally ill but I don't think it would be safe to have him out in the general public. But, as usual Phil added nothing to the story even with his parlor trick of writing down the number six!

• Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I think Phil has these people on because he thinks he is smarter than everyone else and will somehow extract some kind of confession or get some insight no one else has.

That does seem to be the theme lately, whether Phil is dealing with the addicted, the afflicted, the stupid, the spoiled, the lazy - whatever.  He of The Bald Head of Experience will somehow manage to gain the insight that no one else dealing with the subject has been able to do.  He's The Only One Who Can Help.  Sometimes he just has to get tough and sometimes he just has to get real and sometimes he just has to invoke his superpower of baldness.  But make no mistake, he didn't get to be that bald by not having been around a rodeo or two or something with a pancake . . . but anyway, Only He has the Intelligence and Expertise to help these people.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 11