Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

Glad they've confirmed the Christmas special.
Wish we had seen some new monsters in the actual trailer but it was good nonetheless.
Still a bit sceptical that this series will be a Dalek less one though. I'll believe it when we don't see them tbh.
Overall, really looking forward to this.

(edited)

That's more like it!  Sure, it's still super short and we don't see much, but at least it doesn't feel like they're trying to hide the Doctor from us.  Bring on the fall - I can't wait to see more of her!

Edited by angora
fixing a typo
  • Love 1

CBR covers press conference. The TARDIS might not show up after last year's special. I imagine a sceanario where the Doctor is forced to live on Earth, working for UNIT. Then I imagine Osgood hugging her and squeeing, "ROOMIES!!!" And then I saw the "no old stuff" bit. I can understand. Also, if you brought back old enemies/monsters, you'd have to waste at least ninety seconds of them huddling up. "I thought he was a guy!" "He is!! I think!" "This is weird. I mean, I get genderfluid and all that, and I can be supportive, but how will anyone believe us when we kill her?" "Him?" "ARRRRGGH!!!!"

I also notice Jodie has multiple earrings on the left side. Is she the first Doctor to have piercings?

(edited)
On 7/23/2018 at 4:06 AM, Lantern7 said:

I also notice Jodie has multiple earrings on the left side. Is she the first Doctor to have piercings?

I think so, but Pertwee's Doctor had tattoos!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1
On 7/22/2018 at 11:06 PM, Lantern7 said:

The TARDIS might not show up after last year's special. I imagine a sceanario where the Doctor is forced to live on Earth, working for UNIT.

Without getting into spoilers, there were rumors about the Doctor going back and meeting a certain pivotal figure in American history, and there are some scenes in the trailer that look to be set in a time period contemporary to that person.  So even if she doesn't have the TARDIS at the start of the season, it seems like she'll be getting it back.

Regarding that footage that leaked...

Spoiler

She was shown building her screwdriver, so I'm not going to be surprised if we have a running plot involving her having to make repairs.  Which I like, just because I like the idea of her being very hands-on.

While I understand the show's desire to move forward, I am vaguely disappointed that we won't get to see Kate or Vastra react to her.

11 hours ago, starri said:

So even if she doesn't have the TARDIS at the start of the season, it seems like she'll be getting it back.

Possibly by the end of the season.  Remember that the TARDIS was damaged at the end of "Twice..." and seemed to eject the Doctor.  It's possible that the TARDIS was very damaged, to the point of needing major repairs.  Add in a sprinkle of Pertwee, and I can see a season of the Doctor "stuck on Earth" needing to fix the TARDIS.  And if some components are lost in the past or future, the Doctor could rig up some devices like Jack's armband.  Dirty time travel, but time time travel nonetheless.

11 hours ago, starri said:

While I understand the show's desire to move forward, I am vaguely disappointed that we won't get to see Kate or Vastra react to her.

While I agree that seeing the Doctor's previous female friends and companions react to her would be great, I get why they're not doing that in this series.

This is the biggest change in the Doctor's history since the first regeneration.  The new Doctor needs, forgive the pun, some time to establish herself as the Doctor before encountering her past.  The next series will probably begin reintroducing the old elements again.

• Love 2

And now there's a new fun photo-meme going around on the primary Doctor Who subReddit: "X in Y's outfit."  It's mostly head-swapping photo-shops, like this one of 10 in 7's iconic outfit.  With the occasional drawn art version, like this one of 12 in 13's clothes.  Of course there are also those being cute about this meme and posting screenshots of just post-regeneration moments, like this shot of 6 still in 5's clothes.

Not every combination has been done yet, but there's quite a few to look for...mostly involving 11.  Worth a gander if you're in the mood for something not so serious.

• Love 1

I think it's better in concept than execution, but I do like it.  My biggest problem is the Macklemore song.  I can forgive the CG, just because this is video for YouTube so they're not going to go for Avengers-level visuals.

• Love 1

Disappointed in the 24/7 marathon on BBC America. I thought they would air in order from Number 9 on, even though they NEVER show the CE episodes. They’re starting with 12th Doctor episodes. Eventually getting to 10th Doctor, but repeating A LOT.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Disappointed in the 24/7 marathon on BBC America. I thought they would air in order from Number 9 on, even though they NEVER show the CE episodes. They’re starting with 12th Doctor episodes. Eventually getting to 10th Doctor, but repeating A LOT.

I know what you mean, but they haven't shown the CE episodes for years.  I'm glad they did this time.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

They did the CE episodes in order, the first day, and I really enjoyed seeing them again. There were things I noticed the second time through that I missed the first. I was disappointed to see that none of them will be shown again. I wish they would air all of them in order, from 9-12.  I understand repeating some at night -- east coast/west coast time differences -- but, heck, with 13 days, they could run them all in sequence, even with the late night repeats, and still have days left over to do some "best of" or "most requested".

• Love 2

Yeah, I hoped for a straight start-to-finish marathon too (with some repeats expected late at night). The advertising as "timey wimey" explains nothing. What's the point? I'd think they'd show Twice Upon a Time just before the premier, for the regeneration, but nope. It's on once only, tomorrow evening (Friday 9/28). BBCA is now owned by AMC, I think, but not too happy with BBC either, after recent comments by Ian Youngs -- BBC entertainment reporter -- about Peter Capaldi.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-south-yorkshire-45589723 (at the bottom - from 9/24). Youngs is facing a backlash and got #TheUniverseLovesPeterCapaldi trending.

• Love 1

I have a feeling the majority of those who didn't care for Capaldi aren't going to be too keen on Whittaker either since neither are cute, swoonworthy young men to fantasize over. Thing is, no doctor was universally loved just like no single person has ever been universally loved. What a stupid, and pointless comment to make. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I thought it was weird that they started with 9 and then went right into 12. But in my case it's been a good thing because I didn't watch 12 when the episodes originally aired. Now I am wondering why? So far-- I have enjoyed 12 more than I thought I would.

Also the airing the eps 24/7 is OK by me because I work odd hours and therefore have been able to catch eps I would otherwise miss if they only aired them sequentially. YKWIM?

Edited by taanja

Clip of Jodie going through regeneration nuttiness. This Doctor does seem a little more balanced than the previous incarnation. It took Twelve a while to get right in the head in "Deep Breath."

Edited by Lantern7
14 hours ago, taanja said:

I thought it was weird that they started with 9 and then went right into 12. But in my case it's been a good thing because I didn't watch 12 when the episodes originally aired. Now I am wondering why? So far-- I have enjoyed 12 more than I thought I would.

Also the airing the eps 24/7 is OK by me because I work odd hours and therefore have been able to catch eps I would otherwise miss if they only aired them sequentially. YKWIM?

I found the jump from 9 to 12 a surprise too.  It was only today I caught that in their promo for the marathon they actually advertise that the order is going to be 9 to 12 to 10 to 11,  It still doesn't make sense that they are doing it that way.

I do not know who schedules the episodes but they have consistently over the last couple of years not run all the episodes sequentially.   Frustrating!

On 9/29/2018 at 4:25 AM, elle said:

I do not know who schedules the episodes but they have consistently over the last couple of years not run all the episodes sequentially.   Frustrating!

I am late to the Whoniverse -- five or six years ago, I stumbled on a marathon and was hooked, even though the episodes weren't shown in order. However, because of that,  I had a heck of a time trying to figure out the River Song story, among other things.  I had to resort to going online and looking up each show by its title in order to figure things out. It seems like it would be easier for the network  to attract new viewers if the shows were shown sequentially, especially in this case since they're being used as a promotion for a new season. 

But I know that my opinion and a couple bucks will get me a cup of coffee. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, rur said:

I had a heck of a time trying to figure out the River Song story, among other things.

I smiled when I read this.  A hint of what River and the Doctor go through and why it is important to keep a diary?  Glad you enjoyed it despite the weird programming.

I see it is 10's episodes today.  Once again they are skipping from "The Christmas Invasion" to "The Girl in the Fireplace" (ep. 4) missing "New Earth", "Tooth and Claw", and "School Reunion".  Three good episodes if you can find them.

• Love 2

They are airing my very first Dr. Who ep, Runaway Bride, right now. I remember flipping through channels and stumbling upon a rather cute guy in a suit standing next to a woman in a wedding dress talking to a giant, creepy spider woman and thinking what the fuck is this cracked up shit. But I couldn't look away. I was mesmerized. And a new Who fan was born. This ep always reminds me of my first time with the Doctor. 

IDK what the whole out of order thing is about. I supposed they think it's cute? Cause of the whole Timey Wimey thing? IDK, but I got to watch a few 12 and Bill eps the other day and now 10 and Donna. Those are my two favorite combinations so I'm happy.

• Love 3
On 9/29/2018 at 1:00 AM, Lantern7 said:

This Doctor does seem a little more balanced than the previous incarnation. It took Twelve a while to get right in the head in "Deep Breath."

Well, Twelve was technically the first of a new full regeneration cycle, so it makes sense he would be a little more frakked up.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 1

I liked Peter Capaldi a lot.  He always did a strong job as the Doctor.  He was a great representative for Doctor Who and a nice guy (I met him once at Comic Con and can attest to this).  But I admit I never warmed up to his Doctor like the previous 3.  I blame that partially on the fact that he never had a good showrunner.  I'm hoping that will change with Jodie Whittaker.  Her Doctor seems a lot more likeable and fun in the little footage they've shown so far.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:16 PM, Lantern7 said:

Screen Junkies did a “supercut” of robots sounding like Daleks . . . in preparation of a Doctor Who Honest Trailer in October.

I believe this will happen tomorrow.

I wasn't sure in which forum to ask this so I figured I'd try here.

The 1st 3 showings of the premier on Sunday at 10:45 and 12:30 and 3:00 (pt) are 90 minutes. Later showings starting at 8:00 are 2 hours and marked as "special edition". What's the difference?

I know that BBC America cuts out material in order to add commercials. Is that the difference? I'm hoping the earlier simulcast is commercial-free.

Heads up: BBC America will run tonight's episode from 8:00-9:10 p.m. Adjust your schedules accordingly. Also, it's sad that we have two blonde women that can inspire on a grand scale in the Doctor and Supergirl, yet their shows are aired at the same time.

34 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Heads up: BBC America will run tonight's episode from 8:00-9:10 p.m. Adjust your schedules accordingly. Also, it's sad that we have two blonde women that can inspire on a grand scale in the Doctor and Supergirl, yet their shows are aired at the same time.

It depends on where you live. I live in Montana and I get shows on Central time. The Doctor is on at 6PM and SuperGirl at 7PM so I can watch both!

Edited by rainbowrockgal
22 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Is there no new Doctor Who episode the first weekend in November? My BBCAmerica is not showing it on the schedule. 

I had to look this up to check! I don't know if you get BBC America differently in different places, but when I searched for the show on its schedule, it's telling me  there's a new ep at 8pm on the 4th. (Also on the BBC UK and ABC in Australia schedules.) Phew!

(Although with time zones and schedule changes Australian fans are now bemoaning having to watch on Monday, luckily ABC politely fast tracks it online to sunrise.)

Edited by Kite