Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

Ugh. I'm not happy about the guy who wrote the most boring Who episodes ever taking over the show.  And we also have to wait for Moffat's last season for another year when we finally got rid of Clara? I was feeling so good and optimistic after the Christmas special and now I'm just depressed.

• Love 1

Mr. Polyhymnia teased me that all of our snarking made poor Moffat take his ball and go home.  Which is rich coming from him as he'd pretty much stopped watching during the Moffat era.  He hates River Song and will never forgive them for ruining Don't Blink by having other weeping angel episodes.

• Love 2

What kind of weirdass list was that? They had David Tennant and Matt Smith on it for god's sake. If any former doctor should come back it's Paul McGann. I think Capaldi will leave with Moffat and it makes me sad since he finally got to show what he could do without that albatross Clara. If he does though, my pick to replace him is Iwan Rheon.

Edited by festivus

That was one of the dumbest articles I've read in a long time.  And I read Buzzfeed regularly, so that's saying something.  I mean, if we're just going to put Tennant and Smith on there, why not every other past Doctor?  Tom Baker through Eccleston. 

I wonder what John Hurt would do if he were offered the role.  It would be interesting to see his Doctor really get to live, now that Gallifrey's back.  Of course, they wouldn't want to follow up one older actor with another one, but still...

And did you notice who was in at least two of those pictures?  Yep - Jenna Coleman.  Why don't they just admit that what they really want is for Clara to come back?

There's no way in hell that they're going to bring back Old Doctors for more than specials. It completely misses the point of what the show is, and its ability to reinvent itself. Half the time they have entertainment reporters who never watch what they're writing about.

Really hope Capaldi doesn't leave with Moffat, but I suspect he probably will. Clara did stay at least one season too long, and I'd love to see what he's capable of bouncing off another actor. He was great alongside Alex Kingston during the Christmas Special.

• Love 1

I knew about Netflix, but Hulu too?  Way to piss off the largest fanbase your show could ever ask for, BBC.  The US fandom kept interest in the show going through the wilderness years between 1989 and 2005.  There were something like 14 million of us watching the TV movie in 1996.  We have some of the largest and most renowned conventions in the world.  And this is our reward.

I know that article said a BBC rep said that DW wouldn't be on a BBC America streaming service, but something has to be up.  It's weird that they're removing it from both Netflix and Hulu at the same time.  Usually you only do that when you want the content on your network and nowhere else. 

And my reasons for hanging on to a Hulu subscription are getting smaller and smaller as the weeks go by. 

I just don't understand how TV works, I guess.  People spend billions and billions and billions on making TV shows, and then turn around and make sure the smallest amount of people possible can legally see the stupid things.  And then whine like toddlers when people pirate and ratings suck.

(Note: I am not advocating piracy.  But if we could see the shows we love easily, we wouldn't have to.  Look at radio - it's still going strong.  Why?  Because you can turn on your car's radio, or find a station online, and hear all the songs you love, without paying a dime, or having to be in the right geographical area, or using a Pioneer brand device instead of a Kenwood one, or what have you.)

• Love 3

Way to piss off the largest fanbase your show could ever ask for, BBC.  The US fandom kept interest in the show going through the wilderness years between 1989 and 2005.  There were something like 14 million of us watching the TV movie in 1996...

Which means jack shit in terms of ratings. When you're looking at percentage of the population watching, the TVMovie got far higher figures in the UK, and it still wasn't enough to make the BBC pick it up. And it was UK organisations that kept the franchise going in the wilderness years, Big Finish, BBC books and Virgin books are all UK based.

No denying the Yanks throw big cons, but the driving impetus for Doctor Who has always come from the UK. And the reason the BBC is focussing on the UK market is because they're legally bound to.

• Love 2

Which means jack shit in terms of ratings. When you're looking at percentage of the population watching, the TVMovie got far higher figures in the UK, and it still wasn't enough to make the BBC pick it up. And it was UK organisations that kept the franchise going in the wilderness years, Big Finish, BBC books and Virgin books are all UK based.

No denying the Yanks throw big cons, but the driving impetus for Doctor Who has always come from the UK. And the reason the BBC is focussing on the UK market is because they're legally bound to.

Yeah, because Doctor Who was really pulling some hot numbers in the UK in the late 80's, right?  When the BBC kept JNT on as producer because they couldn't find anyone else to take the job.  When the entire production team for several years did nothing but fight with each other over every little thing and put forth as weak an effort as possible because they just didn't like anything the other side did (anyone remember a guy named Eric Saward?).  Nope, America's never done anything for Doctor Who except throw a few big cons now and then.  Our PBS stations didn't carry the show for years when no one else would touch it.  We didn't have anything to do with Doctor Who being as well-known as it is around the world today.  We haven't done a thing for the show in the last fifty years except throw a couple of parties.

Go ahead, then.  Cancel the damn thing.  End it forever.  I know what the show means to me and how much it's changed and influenced my life, no matter what country provided what ratings, no matter who did more for the thing.  It's had what, now?  53 years?  That's enough.  But to dismiss everything that I and people like me - true fans of this quaint little show that ten years ago was nothing but a joke, an embarrassing addiction for a bunch of lunatics with really long scarves and an affection for phone booths - as just a couple shindigs every now and then...  Do you think only UK readers bought the books?  Or the videos?  Or the DVDs?  Or went to grade school with a long scarf their grandmothers knitted for them, knowing people would laugh at them because of how silly they looked and how devoted they were to a TV show you could only watch on PBS, of all places, and that looked like something a high school would spend more on if they put it on as a play?

Forget it.  It's not worth it.  You want Doctor Who to yourselves?  You got it.  I'm done with this.

Edited by Ringthane
  • Love 9

I can't find the article right this second, but I think Doctor Who will still be available for purchase on Amazon and iTunes in the United States. 

I would be very surprised if Doctor Who stayed off the streaming sites for very long.

from http://decider.com/2016/01/27/bbc-poised-to-announce-new-streaming-home-for-doctor-who/:

"A BBC spokesperson told us that American Whovians will still be able to stream seasons 7 – 9 on BBCAmerica.com and that the series will still be available through Amazon Video, iTunes, Google Play, and more VOD platforms. However they added: “We hope to announce a new digital partner for Doctor Who shortly.”

So, let's see what happens!

I think it's a big enough show to share. But it is and always has been paid for by the TV license payers of the UK, so they, having paid for it, should logically be the most important viewers for the BBC. And if they're not watching it, it should be cancelled and their money spent on something else that they might prefer. However, right now they are still watching DW, so I don't see cancellation in the near future.

Right now, with them hauling it off the air for a year, I think everyone everywhere is being treated shabbily

• Love 2

I'm so pissed off, just started watching this and near the end of season 2.  And BBC pulls the plug without even having their own streaming service yet.  I logged on Netflix tonight to see it removed from my playlist.  :(

(edited)

Oh right, the Olympics.. I forgot of their existence :P 

I live in Chicago and I'm so glad we didn't get the games. Can you imagine the crap ton of horribleness that would be happening here on top of the political issues we're facing.

Also, I think everyone wants to forget the Olympics are happening this summer because the IOC sucks and Brazil is a mess right now.

Edited by maraleia

I'm guessing they might be going for someone big enough to warrant a public announcement of them perhaps.

That doesn't necessarily follow - they've made quite a fanfare about all their recent castings, many of whom weren't well known at all. They are just trying to generate a bit of buzz for the show, since it has been in something of a slump lately.

It'll be interesting to see who they've gone for, though - I'd like to hope for someone a bit different than the usual type, but the show has been fairly consistent up till now. Maybe Moffat might be brave enough to break the mould in his last year, though, who knows?

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1

I'm hoping this isn't just another companion in the mold and model of Clara.  Hopefully someone who is a much better fit for 12 than she was.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I only have one thing to say about the new companion reveal:

Please don't be a robot, please don't be a robot, PLEEEEAAASSSEEEEEE don't be a robot!!!! Down on my knees BEGGING over here....PLEASE. DON'T BE A ROBOT!!!!

(Rumor has it...)

Well, those shoes and the clothes on those running legs looks depressingly modern.

Not a surprise.  The writers under Moffat won't put in the work to write a companion from the past.  That's why Victorian Clara never ended up as a companion.

Not a surprise.  The writers under Moffat won't put in the work to write a companion from the past.  That's why Victorian Clara never ended up as a companion.

I know - although that was Moffat's own choice, rather than the writers under him. It was his decision as showrunner that a historical companion would require too much of an actual character story to be bothered with, since said character story would take screentime from the plot arcs he is more interested in.

Still, for as long as there was no announcement there was always an outside chance he'd choose differently this time - after all, he only has one season left to play with. Ah well, we'll find out for sure soon enough.

• Love 1

Matt Lucas is returning for multiple episodes.

Episode 1 is being penned by Steven Moffat and episode 2 by Frank Cottrell Boyce. Both episodes directed by Lawrence Gough.

The second block will have episodes written by Sarah Dollard and Mike Bartlett (Doctor Foster).

Stephanie Hyam is also guesting but it's not specified which episode she'll be in though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/6d059f23-2325-4a46-9b5e-cd0ad94b4a59

Amazon is killing me with how they have the longer episodes and "specials" outside of the regular season listings. I feel for anyone watching for the first time wondering where 10 went all of a sudden, and how Clara ended-up with 12 after they parted after Danny died.

• Love 2

Okay, it's been a while but here goes (spoiler wise)

Episode 3 is written by Sarah Dollard and seems to be a history piece, episode 4 is written by Mike Bartlett and features David Suchet as the Landlord (Bill's I assume). Both episodes were directed by Bill Anderson.

This year's Christmas special is directed by Ed Bazelgette and will have Matt Lucas's Nardole as the main companion as well as Justin Chatwin (Shameless US) as a superhero ....

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-28/no-interim-companion-for-doctor-who-christmas-special---but-there-will-be-an-appearance-from-a-superhero

In news that will literally shock no-one, Michelle Gomez has confirmed that she'll be back as Missy and is filming soon ....

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/michelle-gomez-confirms-she-starts-filming-doctor-who-again-soon

Block 4 is starting next week and it seems like one of the episodes will be written by Jamie Mathieson, according to Matt Lucas's tweet ....

So we may have an episode with both Missy and Nardole that isn't written by Steven Moffat this series. We still don't know who the Classic Series writer is though.

Actually, the Mirror have gotten a lot right in the past in relation in terms of certain spoilers (John Hurt being an unknown Doctor, Eleven's regeneration story, Clara's original exit in Last Christmas, Davros as a kid etc), so as badly written as that piece is, I genuinely believe that Capaldi and Mackie will probably leave with Moffat and Chibnall's era will be a new beginning as such.

Meanwhile DWM have confirmed that episode 5 is written by Jamie Mathieson and episode 9 is written by Rona Munro (Survival). Her episode is also called The Eaters Of Light. Episode 1 has the title of A Star In Her Eye and episode 4 the title of The Haunted Hub.

Moffat also confirmed that Bill's surname is Potts and it's rumoured that she's gay.

Some guest details for episodes 5 and 9 here .... http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-10-classic-writer-returns-with-the-eaters-of-light-81668.htm

Some filming pictures with Pearl Mackie and Roman extras here .... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3930102/Doctor-s-Pearl-Mackie-holds-concerned-gaze-filming-scenes-upcoming-series-eerie-woodland-Cardiff.html

Edited by darkestboy
3 hours ago, justmehere said:

I thought they already asked Peter Capaldi to stay.

They wanted him to stay, but there was never any announcement that he'd extended his contract or anything, which would indicate he plans to leave. There's probably still time for him to change his mind though; he's probably not going to be written out until the Christmas 2017 episode.