Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Who in the Media

• Start Topic

Another sort of not media find, maybe we need a merch thread.

I was sent an email with Doctor Who Trivial Pursuit today

Do you know your Daleks from your Cybermen. Rose from Martha. Or which Doctor had a stick of celery with him at all times. Then Doctor Who Trivial Pursuit is the game for you! Packed with 600 questions to challenge even the biggest Doctor Who fan, this Trivial Pursuit edition requires no board and can be carried around in its bite-size wedge case.

who was the doctor that always carried a stick of celery? Amazon also educated me on all the other games there are for Doctor Who that I never knew existed. Has anyone played any?

I did not realize that the Great Intellegence had been a long time enemy and not something new.

Did you not? I thought it was discussed in some depth when it was brought back...but thinking about it, that might have been before this board. Wow, time flies. Yes, the Great Intelligence made its first appearance way back in the '60s for a couple of adventures with the 2nd Doctor - including the Brigadier's first ever adventure, before he was promoted to brigadier!

• Love 1

Moffat has said that they'll be making a full series of Doctor Who next year,  though he does allow wiggle room for it not to all be shown next year: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-06/steven-moffat-can-confirm-absolutely-that-there-will-be-a-full-series-of-doctor-who-next-year

"We’re making a full series. I can confirm that," said Moffat. "I’m making a full series of 12 episodes, plus a Christmas special. I don’t know when it goes out. That’s up to someone else. And even if I did know – which I genuinely don’t – I wouldn’t be allowed to say so as I have absolutely no say in it whatsoever.

Edited by ApathyMonger
  • Love 1

You know what I miss? Companion overlap. It happened often in the old show that companions would overlap, so that someone new came aboard while the old companion was still around, and it always made for an interesting dynamic. It used to shake things up a lot more than what we've got now, with companions leaving and the Doctor being alone for a while before taking on someone new. Like...a companion would come aboard as a complete newbie and go through the adjustment process, build up a relationship with the Doctor, and then someone new would come along, and suddenly the pre-existing companion is the old hand, helping a new newbie to adjust. Overlapping allowed for varied dynamics. I miss that.

Heck, I miss having a group dynamic full stop!

Moffat clearly prefers having a clear dividing line between companions, by way of soft reboot.

I just hope the next companion is different - let them come from a different era, a different planet, a different background. And, for the love of all that's holy, let them have a personality other than 'assertive, wisecracking and flirtatious', because too many Moffat characters fit that basic outline and it's getting tired now. And please, please let them have a personality that's clearly defined upfront and remains consistent, so that the personality drives their actions and reactions, rather than plot expedience. And a story that builds from the character, rather than being bolted on from the outside.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 4

I think it would make for an interesting new dynamic. We've never had a male (only) companion in NuWho.

Was there ever any in old Who? There were plenty of male companions, but I can't remember many stories where it was just the male companion.

Was there ever any in old Who? There were plenty of male companions, but I can't remember many stories where it was just the male companion.

Steven was a solo companion of the First Doctor in The Massacre (and parts of The Daleks' Master Plan, depending on whether or not you consider Katarina and/or Sara Kingdom to be companions). Jamie was solo companion in the adventures where Victoria and Zoe are picked up, ditto Adric in The Keeper of Traken - more so, really, because Nyssa isn't picked up as a new companion to join him during that story, she comes back later. Turlough is travelling alone with the Doctor in Planet of Fire, swapping with Peri at the end of the adventure.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1

I'm not sure I believe that report about Capaldi's involvement. All of the talk I've heard about Class has stated it's completely seperate to the mothership, even if it's set in Cole Hill School. Plus the Variety page that his piece links to doesn't mention Capaldi.

• Love 1

I'm getting worried about Netflix's (US) contract with BBC shows. I know they've pulled the last-minute thing the past two years, but currently it still says Doctor Who will expire on Feb. 1. Grrr.

Well that would suck.

Snark as I may at times--the only thing worse than a Doctor Who episode I don't like, is having no Doctor Who episode to snark at! 

I may have a nervous breakdown, lol.

• Love 1

Good Lord, it's horrible. I saw it at another site and went here.

Writer of some of the worst episodes of Who, his writing on Torchwood made me vomit out of my nose and give up on it, and while Broadchurch is not horrid, it's writing to me is the least impressive thing about it, obvious and by the number. Yuck.

• Love 4

Writer of some of the worst episodes of Who, his writing on Torchwood made me vomit out of my nose and give up on it, and while Broadchurch is not horrid, it's writing to me is the least impressive thing about it, obvious and by the number. Yuck.

The first season of Broadchurch was okay; it went majorly off the rails in S2, and I don't see S3 as being likely to turn that around.

Heck, best episode of Torchwood is still shite, IMO. If someone wants to see more dinosaurs in space and sirulian two parters, I suppose they are in luck, somebody's worst is always somebody's best and vice versa. But since I thought it was stupid as hell and worse, hella boring, my best hope is for a perverse miracle - afterall, Moffat DID write some of the best Doctor Who episodes... and look at him as a showrunner!

"Ok" is good description of first season of Broadchurch, I agree. I found it disappointing but moving in parts and scenery was great. Step up from his sci fi to be sure.

Heck, best episode of Torchwood is still shite, IMO.

I cant agree with that ! 

Even if too much case-of-the-week, Torchwood was a blast. A more adult, grim and dark take on the universe of Doctor Who and some amazing characters ! 

Heck, best episode of Torchwood is still shite.

Undeniably. That show coasteds on the following Barrowman brought over from Doctor Who, and the weirdos who thought Ianto was the Sexy. In terms of drama, it veered between amusingly stupid and insultingly rancid.

• Love 3

What the hell.. we don't get a season this year because Moffat is leaving? We still had a season when RTD and Tennant left..

It's more of a case of the BBC not wanting to put the show up against big sporting events like the Olympics, which is really sensible. They didn't do it justice in the scheduling at all last year and as a consequence the ratings went down. I think they're gearing up to have Doctor Who going back to the Spring so they can have His Dark Materials take over in the Summer/Autumn.

Can't say I'm too thrilled with Chibnall taking over. His Doctor Who eps were ok, but I never took to Torchwood at all. Broadchurch bored me to tears as well. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I wish they'd been a bit more bold in their choice.   

Woo-hoo!  Moffat's leaving!

I can't say I'm particularly impressed with Chibnall's record (though I did like the Hungry Earth two-parter) but I'm looking forward to having a new showrunner.  I imagine Series 10 will also mark Capaldi's last season as The Doctor.

It's more of a case of the BBC not wanting to put the show up against big sporting events like the Olympics, which is really sensible.

The Olympics go from August 5th to 21st; Who probably wouldn't have started by then. Likewise, Euro 2016 is June-July.

The reason is almost certainly cost-cutting, and they're just coming up with excuses.

They also implied Moffat is finishing in spring 2017 and Chibnall is taking over in 2018; is it possible they're also cutting the 2017 Christmas episode?

• Love 1

Well, I'm glad Moffat is going - it really is time for a change. Chibnall, though...not the greatest track record, plus he's another from the same clique as RTD and Moffat, so they aren't exactly mixing it up there. Maybe he'll do better as show runner than as an individual writer? If instead of writing lots of individual episodes himself he focuses rather on shaping the work of the writers under him into a strong, consistent season? Well. Fingers crossed.

The Olympics go from August 5th to 21st; Who probably wouldn't have started by then. Likewise, Euro 2016 is June-July.

The reason is almost certainly cost-cutting, and they're just coming up with excuses.

They also implied Moffat is finishing in spring 2017 and Chibnall is taking over in 2018; is it possible they're also cutting the 2017 Christmas episode?

You're probably right. My gut feeling about this is that they're ploughing all their money into the adaptation of the Pullman books and they want it to take DW's normal slot next year, because they're planning on slowly winding down production on the show. They nearly let it go after RTD and Tennant left. Two big, family-orientated fantasy shows is a lot for them, especially as their budgets have been slashed. Regardless of how I feel about Chibnall, and I'm really not over the moon about him getting the job, I don't think they intend to keep the show on much longer anyway. They're just waiting for something to replace it.

• Love 1

I wouldn't have thought the news of Moffat's departure would disappoint me, but between 1) no new season this year, 2) one more Moffat season before the end, and 3) Chibnall taking over, they may have managed it.  Although I'm really hoping series 10 isn't Capaldi's last and I've always wanted to see his Doctor with a different showrunner, Chibnall doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence that he'll be better.  If we're talking current Who writers, I'd have preferred Gareth Roberts or Toby Whithouse.

• Love 2

So, let me get this straight.  We have to wait over a year for new episodes and it's not because a new guy is taking over.  Moffat will be doing the twelve episodes to be shown in 2017.  BBC says they are waiting to show them because Brits have very short attention spans and once they've watched the Olympics and the Euros, they'll be done for the year.

I think Moffat will be involved in Sherlock and can't bear to give up all the storyline surprises he's been planning.  So we have to wait. MOFFAT! (That was said in a HEEP tone from David Copperfield.)

Chibnall won't be able to take over production until 2017, as he's working on Broadchurch 3. Since the autumn launch bombed on it's arse, the BBC have decided to push the airing of the next season from autumn 2016 to spring 2017. That gives Moffat time to plan his last season, and means that Chibnall has time to work up his first, to air in 2018.

• Love 2