Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

(edited)

Hmm. The argument I read explained that photographers/set designers are concerned due to what is explained at www.wipo.int/export/sites/www/some/en/documents/pdf/ip_photography. pdf (take the space out before the “p” in .pdf)  excerpted:

”Photographing a copyright work amounts to reproducing it. Therefore, before you take a photo of any copyright work, you need the prior permission of the copyright owner”.

“1.4 Will you use a substantial part of the work?

...Because there is no hard-and-fast rule, relying on the defense that you are using only a “non-substantial part” of a work may be dangerous.  The best advise is to ask prior permission from the copyright owner if you are in doubt.”

The safest, easiest policy is to not photograph the covers.

Edited by StrictTime
On 3/2/2018 at 9:38 PM, StrictTime said:

But they don't photograph the covers, if the books are in a bookcase or on a shelf, then you're only photographing the spine of the book. If it's just the spine, I don't see how anybody could answer "yes" to “1.4 Will you use a substantial part of the work?

• Love 2

Titles cannot be copyrighted. If only the spine is visible, including it in a photograph shouldn't be a copyright violation, particularly if the viewer of a television show can't even read the title.

• Love 5

I don't mind if she puts the books in spine in or spine out.  What I object to is when she makes a little pile of 3-4 books on the bookshelf, and then puts in more vertically.  Because to Joanna Gaines, books are not something to be read, they're ornaments.

My daughter got some catalog in the mail with Magnolia Farms stuff - how exciting!  And you can really buy three different giant clocks to put on your wall that's got a fresh coat of dingy grey paint.  No rusty school lockers though.

• Love 3
On 3/2/2018 at 11:38 PM, StrictTime said:

If that were the case, Amazon would be one big massive copyright violation. :D

• Love 3
On 3/5/2018 at 6:31 PM, meep.meep said:

I don't mind if she puts the books in spine in or spine out.  What I object to is when she makes a little pile of 3-4 books on the bookshelf, and then puts in more vertically.  Because to Joanna Gaines, books are not something to be read, they're ornaments.

And then she sticks a plant and a burning candle right next to them and/or on top of them. Am I the only one who thinks lit candles should be nowhere near books or plants?

• Love 6
(edited)
On 3/4/2018 at 3:17 AM, CruiseDiva said:

Titles cannot be copyrighted. If only the spine is visible, including it in a photograph shouldn't be a copyright violation, particularly if the viewer of a television show can't even read the title.

Yep, CruiseDiva, seeing stagers do the backward book routine for the last 5-8 years, I don't think it's about the legalities.  Publishers collect royalties and they're not organized like SAG-AFTRA to collect on behalf of the gazillion one and done "authors".  (I apologize to all my budding novelist friends, lol!)

They're backwards b/c they're using discards, purchased for a couple of dollars a box, i.e. staging books.  So, if the spines were visible, viewers might notice that the titles / colors/ books are identical!

Stagers reversed them and viewers picked it up as a thing, a trend, lol!  They're just thrifty!  Anyone notice Jo in that 400K reno, sitting on the floor, adjacent to a pile of same size, same color, staging books?

That's my version of the backwards book, uh, look!  Something to watch for in Jo's upcoming design program.  ... snooze.

ETA - I believe Jo used her own books in the garden shed, clearing them out of her home.  (Her kids probably read online.)  So, they were different colors, shapes and sizes, i.e. not staging books.  BTW, any author I know would be thrilled to see their work in her bookshelf.  They'd thank her - not bill her!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2018 at 8:58 AM, CruiseDiva said:

The first time I saw one of those monster fans was in the airport in Curacao. The brand was Big Ass Fan. The airport was open air and the fan didn't help much.

IIRC, the FixUpp tiny home had a BA fan, too.  Fortunately or unfortunately, they've corned the big a** market!

Could we take up a collection to buy Chip some shampoo and a comb?  And possibly a razor?  IMO he looked so much better with shorter hair and clean shaven.

• Love 8

When I saw what this week's show was, I was going to skip it BUT then I decided I could FF through what I didn't want to watch...ie. the funny faces, talking heads, etc. What I did enjoy was seeing the kids from the start and how much they have grown! They all looked happy in the videos. It was also interesting to see what the exteriors of the houses look like now.

11 hours ago, camom said:

Could we take up a collection to buy Chip some shampoo and a comb?  And possibly a razor?  IMO he looked so much better with shorter hair and clean shaven.

This! Watching him from the beginning did show what a nice looking man he is without all of the greasy hair and shaggy beard. It will be fun to see where he has his head shaved(I think I read that he went all the way when he had his hair cut for charity.) One thing I wondered was if he was doing it for Locks of Love because I thought you had to have at least 10" of hair to donate.(Now Jo would be a great contributor). One of my friends used to grow her hair out and donate and then start growing again. She is an awesome person!

• Love 2

I'm ambivalent about clip shows, but I really enjoyed it. I thought that the outtakes were cute ... I guess speaking to the camera is harder than it looks.

Chip seems to have aged more than Jo.  Maybe he is in the sun more?  Maybe she has great genes and wonderful skin care?

How funny when she talked about "doing all of these different styles".  I get what she meant, but it does seem ironic.

I would like to ask them if they had any idea of how the show would take off, how they would become huge celebrities and create a business empire.  Whether you like them or not, it is amazing.

• Love 6
(edited)

One thing I wondered was if he was doing it for Locks of Love

He realized that viewers didn't like the long hair, so he invited them to "put your money where your mouth is."  People made donations to St. Jude Hospital and he shaved his head.  I have no idea how much money was raised.  

Edited by camom
  • Love 2

I generally don’t like long hair on men but if it’s kept clean and shampooed every day, I can tolerate it. When it’s greasy or has a lot of “product” in it, I can practically smell it through my TV. YUCK!

• Love 2
On 3/8/2018 at 3:27 PM, camom said:

He realized that viewers didn't like the long hair, so he invited them to "put your money where your mouth is."  People made donations to St. Jude Hospital and he shaved his head.  I have no idea how much money was raised.  

While I appreciate the fundraising, what a snotty attitude he has!  JMHO but it leads into what I came here to post:

Art Van Furniture stores had a loud tv ad for discounts on EVERYTHING and I just happened to pay attention close enough to note the disclaimer:  

“MAGNOLIA ITEMS NOT DISCOUNTED.”

Hats off to the Gaines machine — they’re raking it in while it’s there for the raking!

• Love 2

I was watching a rerun tonight, can't remember the episode name, but that jerk Chip created a poem before he handed over to Joanne (for her to take over the decorating).  His poem ended with him referring to her as "dumb".  Color me dumbfounded!  And she laughed.  But then...she remains married to this idiot's delight so I guess anything he says is funny to her.  Still wish she'd do a show on her own and let him play with his toys and animals on the farm.

• Love 1

I really liked the loft redo, I had no idea Waco had apartments like that. Joanna actually created a modern space, but I kept thinking about her poor neighbors, all that noise, for all those weeks.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, GaT said:

I really liked the loft redo, I had no idea Waco had apartments like that. Joanna actually created a modern space, but I kept thinking about her poor neighbors, all that noise, for all those weeks.

Poor neighbors everywhere when there is a reno. My neighbor was just renovating his bathroom. It was constant noise for 2 months in evenings and weekends I went batty and he's 100 ft. from me.

• Love 2

The loft turned out nice. The office/bedroom looked cool with the grid glass. It would have been cool to have full floor to ceiling windows but you can’t change out condo windows for just one unit. I even liked the black and white. It was just enough of both colors. Overall, it’s a cool place with pretty great views. That’s said, it’s now a $350,000 condo. Pretty pricey.

• Love 2

I hated the loft.  First of all with all respect to Waco, the downtown is not vibrant enough to command 250k for an apartment. It looked sad and deserted. The “view “ was a brown looking street and some boring small buildings.  Second, she bought an upgraded place and tore the perfectly nice upgrades out.  It makes no financial sense to buy what is pricey property for the area and treat it as a fixer.  She will play hell getting her money back.

also, opening up the bedroom was stupid, as was creating a loft for sleeping.  That place was plenty spacious. 

Ugh, why add that ugly duct work?  It was cluttered looking with those ugly lights with black framing.  And why was a “reading nook” neeed in the office/bedroom/loft area when there was a huge living area?  What if she has an adult couple stay and they want sexy time?  Don’t get me started on that McDonald’s prep table/mortuary slab in the kitchen.

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 6

I've really enjoyed this show over the years, but I'm about ready for it to be done. I appreciate that they have mixed things up this season regarding the format,  but I swear, every single redo looks exactly the same. White white white everywhere, black industrial-looking shelves and/or railings, old books, plants, candles. The most boring, lifeless, colorless furniture and decor, and generic artwork. And lately, Joanna has been overdoing it with the staging and making the spaces seem cluttered.

They do better with the exteriors, sometimes. But overall, Joanna's aesthetic has run its course for me. I find the family stuff and Chip's antics more interesting than the remodels. 

The peacock picture in this last episode was lovely...but...it's a peacock - how do you not use color? It could still be subtle and tasteful with some color added. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

he peacock picture in this last episode was lovely...but...it's a peacock - how do you not use color? It could still be subtle and tasteful with some color added. 

I thought that was odd too, especially since they wanted a Moroccan feel which is a lot of color.

If those people really did just fly in from Pakistan that day, they sure looked good. I'm still trying to recover from the one hour time change from last week.

The house looked nice, but once again I wonder what it would look like with the client's furniture. One thing I noticed was that the books were spine out.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 8

I missed the beginning of the show so don't know what the family was doing in Pakistan for 17 years.   I liked the outside much better than the inside and agree with other posters that Fixer Upper has run its course.  And now I always check to see if the books are spine in or spine out.

• Love 3

The farmhouse in this most recent episode was amazing to begin with, meaning great bones and space.  That porch!  To die for.  Totally in Joanna's wheelhouse. Loved the exterior makeover, including centering the front door .

I didn't love the interior design and decorating as much. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see another decorator do the interior over with a more traditional/transitional/warmer style and more color.

• Love 7

Yeah, the peacock. Jo just gets this idea in her head, then the wife (who’d been doing work for the church in Pakistan if I heard right) goes gaga for the peacock because it has all this spiritual meaning for her. Which is nice, but just popped into Jo’s head? Right.

• Love 3

Everything always looks bright & airy because everythng is WHITE. It’s Joanna’s design aesthetic. She puts an occasional vintage sign for “color”. I wouldn’t turn down her down to design my house but she is definitely one note on the color pallet. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Everything always looks bright & airy because everythng is WHITE. It’s Joanna’s design aesthetic. She puts an occasional vintage sign for “color”. I wouldn’t turn down her down to design my house but she is definitely one note on the color pallet. 

Not only is everything white, but there are no window treatments. I wouldn't let JoJo or Chimp near my house.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Not only is everything white, but there are no window treatments. I wouldn't let JoJo or Chimp near my house.

I just keep thinking how I would need to be well-stocked in magic erasers and touch up paint to maintain all that blinding white. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

You know what? I don’t think I’ve ever even noticed that. Now, it’s all I’ll be looking for. Darn you. LOL!!!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Yep.  No window treatments with the Texas sun and heat. Real good idea there...

• Love 3
21 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Yep.  No window treatments with the Texas sun and heat. Real good idea there...

Well, on that note I have to admit that my darlin Napiers over on Home Town in Mississippi have me flummoxed by ripping out screened-in porches IN MOSQUITO HEAVEN.

But back on topic —  I would enjoy seeing a brief special on how people actually live in a FU home, 2, 3 years down the road. It would not have to be a slam at Joprah’s one-solution-fits-all scheme, just what a re-done house looks like when it's been lived in.

On FU, I’m sure that would include window coverings, personalized artwork. Well, scrub that idea, as wall art is large part of Chimp & Jop’s inventory, isn’t it?  

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

But back on topic —  I would enjoy seeing a brief special on how people actually live in a FU home, 2, 3 years down the road. It would not have to be a slam at Joprah’s one-solution-fits-all scheme, just what a re-done house looks like when it's been lived in.

On FU, I’m sure that would include window coverings, personalized artwork. Well, scrub that idea, as wall art is large part of Chimp & Jop’s inventory, isn’t it?  

Except for those "special sayings" created especially for them, all art for the reveal is carted away after filming unless the homeowner wants to purchase it.

• Love 2
On March 5, 2018 at 4:31 PM, meep.meep said:

I've seen this in every model home I've toured for the past twenty years. This is not unique to Joanna Gaines. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Well, on that note I have to admit that my darlin Napiers over on Home Town in Mississippi have me flummoxed by ripping out screened-in porches IN MOSQUITO HEAVEN.

A TV might even have possibly appeared!

• Love 7

No parking?

Intriguing: parking is limited, don’t try to walk across the traffic roundabout, you can take a shuttle but it makes several stops along the way —- only in GainesTown could anybody expect a restaurant to succeed with a situation like that!

It'll be interesting to see where it is, business-wise, a year from now. 

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

No parking?

Intriguing: parking is limited, don’t try to walk across the traffic roundabout, you can take a shuttle but it makes several stops along the way —- only in GainesTown could anybody expect a restaurant to succeed with a situation like that!

It'll be interesting to see where it is, business-wise, a year from now. 

They took away a huge chunk of the parking area to put the coffee/pastry bar in.

I was going to mention something else in my earlier post but couldn't think of the word: pergola!  Was it my imagination or did they tear that wooden thing down with the ceiling fan still circulating? Wouldn't that mean there was power connected to the fan?  

23 minutes ago, GaT said:

They took away a huge chunk of the parking area to put the coffee/pastry bar in.

At the reveal when they asked their children if they were ready to see their fixer upper, the children looked bored stiff.

The 'bar' seating inside was awful. It didn't look like there was enough room for a plate at that long, narrow bar in front of high stools.

Personally, I hate the idea of the 'communal' tables and sharing a table with strangers.

I was stunned that they took away parking to put in a large outdoor area for customers to wait for a table. With that huge interior space and tables crammed next to each other, do they really think that many people will be waiting for a seat for breakfast or lunch? I wonder how long the owners of Gander Mountain will be happy to have the restaurant patrons using their parking lot? For "Take Away" it would be a pain in the butt to have to park so far away.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

wonder how long the owners of Gander Mountain will be happy to have the restaurant patrons using their parking lot?

Especially with so many Gander Mountsin stores going into receivership!

On a different snark limb, I realized why Chimp really annoys me: his 2017/2018 hair reminds me of the Hair of the Sister Wives Patriarch. Kody or Kory or what have you. 

Both men seem to think their pates are All That. Neither of them are bad looking but nor is either one’s Hair anything to write home about. Savvy businessmen who are too busy counting their money to give a millisecond’s thought to my opinion, but there it is. 

• Love 2
On 3/28/2018 at 8:07 PM, CruiseDiva said:

The 'bar' seating inside was awful. It didn't look like there was enough room for a plate at that long, narrow bar in front of high stools.

And your view is of mirrors so you can watch yourself eat.

Removing parking to expand the patio was beyond stupid. If anything, they should have reduced the patio and added more parking.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MsChicklet said:

And your view is of mirrors so you can watch yourself eat.

Removing parking to expand the patio was beyond stupid. If anything, they should have reduced the patio and added more parking.

Especially since the patio IIRC is considered a waiting area.  I wonder if the duo had professional advice on planning thus or if Chimp / Jope simply followed  their idea of what would work. They’ve made some mistakes in the past, IIRC from the book (I try to forget, heh) and one never knows how far wrong an inflated ego can take a person. 

Long-term planning: it’s a good thing, especially if you mean to revitalize parts of a city. 

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Especially since the patio IIRC is considered a waiting area. /snip/ 

Long-term planning: it’s a good thing, especially if you mean to revitalize parts of a city. 

Don't forget the outdoor area they added for the kiddos to play! Several cars could park in that spot.

Waco must not have much in terms of zoning regulations. My guess is that if they did, zoning regulations would have required them to NOT remove a goodly portion of the parking lot.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I wonder if the duo had professional advice on planning thus or if Chimp / Jope sumolybfolliwed tgeir idea of what would work.

Say what now?  :P

I too was shocked that they took away parking.  I was also surprised how in love they were with the communal tables.  I would want to eat at a communal table.  Throughout Europe there are communal tables and very much a part of the culture, so I am happy to eat at communal tables when I travel.  However, it feels very "forced" to try to get their customers to interact with each other.  I think after the "newness" of eating there, they may not have too many returning customers.  I also think a lot will depend on their pricing.  

Rather than a communal dining room I thought they should have designated it as an events/private parties room.  They could accommodate evening events as they are primarily a breakfast/lunch restaurant and this would extend their ability to make profit.  Honestly, I would go there once if I was in the area, but would wait for a (private) table rather than sit at a communal table.  But, if I had to walk a distance due to a lack of parking I would go on to a different restaurant.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

However, it feels very "forced" to try to get their customers to interact with each other.  I think after the "newness" of eating there, they may not have too many returning customers.  I also think a lot will depend on their pricing.  

That last part is my takeaway , pun intended. It’s lije a friend of a friend who was thrilled to shop at the Silos — once. 

Since I'm all about the skepticism with these two, I don’t watch and don’t know about the workings of the cafe. Is there table service? Or do you stand in line to order?  Thanks for any info.