Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Five Episode Talk

• Start Topic

My DVR recorded but the label was an old episode, but it was actually new. Confused.

"Jump in the Line" is on my mp3 player! When Harry Belafonte appeared on TCR, he and Stephen sang "Jamaica Farewell" and it's a lovely song but "Jump in the Line" it's so much more fun to belt out in the car. Shake shake shake Senora, shake your body line!

Edited by ABay
  • Love 5

My mom and I were enjoying the interview with him quite a bit, too, yeah :D. I loved his comments about rodeos, and doing tourist-y things on holiday* ("Where are all the locals?" "They're at work."). I also always like it when celebrities talk about how totally unimpressed their kids are about what they do for a living :p. 

*The tourist part really got me because when I was in 10th grade, my school choir had taken a trip to New York City. Before the trip, we got this big ol' lecture about how to not behave so much like tourists, to blend in, what to do and not do, all that stuff. 

So what happens when we go? We wind up behaving like tourists :p. And we're from small-town Iowa, no less, so...yeah. 

• Love 6

Ohmigosh, Dick Cavett!  I used to watch him (and Steve Allen) as a teenager, when my parents apparently didn’t worry too much about how late I was staying up. I honestly didn’t think he was still around. But I looked him up and he’s about 20 years older than me, so that seems about right. I noticed he was already seated (didn’t walk out) but he definitely seems to be doing quite well. 

• Love 8

That was a really good interview with Cavett. I liked the way they joked with each other. I've seen reruns of his talk show on the Decades channel here and there, and I can see the influence on Colbert, yeah. 

The interview with Patrick Stewart was lovely, too. Great pair of guests last night. 

• Love 7

John Mulaney may be my favorite interviewee ever —and Stephen seemed to appreciate him as well —which is another reason the show is so successful —because SC never lets ego or jealousy get in the way; he just sits back and delightedly rides the amusement train with the audience, only contributing when he has something that adds to the guest’s riffs. 

• Love 12

Seeing John Mulaney right after Stephen's jokes about Mayor Pete, it struck me that SNL should have asked John to play Pete in their political sketches.  The resemblance, IMO, is quite strong, and Colin Jost doesn't do the part very well anyway.

Those yellow socks were quite the fashion statement.

He was so right about latchkey kids.  I'm so tired of hearing how deprived they are.  I floved when my mother got a job, and dreaded my parents coming home each day.

• Love 7

I love how deep that conversation with Mulaney got, with all the talk about anxiety and how to deal with the issue of what people think of you and things of that sort. Stephen's take on the people who don't like him because of the types of jokes he makes was perfectly stated.

And it was really fun to see them bonding over music, notably the talk about David Byrne. I liked Mulaney's observations of him and his speaking style, and I got a kick out of his initial reactions to seeing his strange movements, because I had a similar reaction to that stuff whenever I'd see Talking Heads clips on TV as a kid :p. 

(And yes, Stop Making Sense is great.)

Tyler coming out at the end was a really sweet touch, too. I've heard of Mulaney's stand up, but I haven't seen any of it. I should remedy that at some point. 

I also loved that we got a lengthy monologue last night. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Tyler coming out at the end was a really sweet touch, too. I've heard of Mulaney's stand up, but I haven't seen any of it. I should remedy that at some point. 

I would highly recommend his stand ups (I think there are 3, on Netflix) but if you haven’t seen any of his stuff, I wouldn’t recommend starting with the show he was promoting last night. Also he hosted SNL a couple times. Some of the better shows, IMO. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I would highly recommend his stand ups (I think there are 3, on Netflix) but if you haven’t seen any of his stuff, I wouldn’t recommend starting with the show he was promoting last night. Also he hosted SNL a couple times. Some of the better shows, IMO. 

I think the last time Mulaney was on the Late Show he was promoting his most recent standup special, Kid Gorgeous. That was the one I watched first and then went back to watch New In Town and The Comeback Kid.

The Sack Lunch Bunch struck me as having a very particular NYC sensibility. I didn't watch it in one sitting; I took it in bits. I loved David Byrne in it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I find the Jon Stewart under the desk to be childish. Can't Jon just come out and sit in the chair and forget all the nonsense slapstick?  

I agree completely.  It might have been funny the very first time, and I don't remember that it was, but it really needs to go away.

The joke about it being a week ago was also unfunny, although given the amount of pre-taping LSSC does, maybe it should have been funny.  C'mon, Jon and Stephen, you can do better.  

After all the fakeouts, I was starting to believe there was no real movie, but apparently there is.  And I guess being Jon Stewart means you get to run your entire theatrical trailer, not just a 15 second clip, on Stephen Colbert's show.  I hate trailers.  In their effort to entice you to watch the movie, they spoil you on all the best bits and the good lines, and leave you with nothing interesting to watch.  A little early to be plugging a movie that's not out until "spring," anyway.

I'd have thought Chris Cuomo would be huddled over the monitors watching the trial, but I guess, like me, he already knows what's being said.  And suggesting that the Republican Senators have already made up their minds is not cynical, it's realistic.  But maybe Stephen should wear the same outfit every night like he tweaked Chris Cuomo for doing, and it would be less obvious when episodes are cobbled together from different nights' tapings.

Thank dog they didn't decide to do pushups again. 

• Love 2
On 1/23/2020 at 3:39 PM, Annber03 said:

I love how deep that conversation with Mulaney got, with all the talk about anxiety and how to deal with the issue of what people think of you and things of that sort. Stephen's take on the people who don't like him because of the types of jokes he makes was perfectly stated.

And it was really fun to see them bonding over music, notably the talk about David Byrne. I liked Mulaney's observations of him and his speaking style, and I got a kick out of his initial reactions to seeing his strange movements, because I had a similar reaction to that stuff whenever I'd see Talking Heads clips on TV as a kid :p. 

(And yes, Stop Making Sense is great.)

I had to get up & find my phone to say this same thing. Thanks John M!

• Love 2

I find the Jon Stewart under the desk to be childish. Can't Jon just come out and sit in the chair and forget all the nonsense slapstick?  

I don't care one way or the other about the rest of the antics, but I really dislike the spittakes.

I'm always happy to see Jon, and given that Stephen's relationship with Jon is different than with any other guest Stephen might have, I don't mind the "under the desk" bit as a way to acknowledge their history on TDS too much.   I think of it as a sort of old and tiresome tradition but that I would nonetheless miss if it was dropped.  Sort of the way I felt about leaving milk and cookies out for Santa by the time I was an oh so sophisticated teenager.  But the spit-takes?  Yeah.  They can definitely go.  And as much as I love watching Jon and Stephen interact, sadly this latest appearance just felt lazy and tiresome.  I hope Jon's movie is good, and I wish him success, but this promo didn't inspire me to go out and order tickets.

• Love 4

I would gladly buy one of those tote bags. 

I also loved Stephen's entire "f-wording" rant. Yes. Thank you. 

ETA: Wow, and his speech about the importance of doing better in regards to helicopter crashes. Damn. That was really powerful and well said. I hope the right people take heed of his words. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 10

Antonio Banderas seems like a genuinely nice human being —as well as being tremendously talented —in 2 languages!  
But I am going to be shallow: Does he have spray-on hair?

ETA:

32 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

ETA: Wow, and his speech about the importance of doing better in regards to helicopter crashes. Damn. That was really powerful and well said. I hope the right people take heed of his words. 

This was the first thing I've heard about the Kobe crash that rang true to me. I mean, a lot of heartfelt things were said by others, but this one mattered.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

When he mentioned that woman he flew with, "Choppy", losing both her father and a son like that...damn. No surprise she'd take extra care and caution after such tragedies like that. 

Pretty amazing, that.  If it were me, I'd never fly again.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Antonio Banderas seems like a genuinely nice human being —as well as being tremendously talented —in 2 languages!  
But I am going to be shallow: Does he have spray-on hair?

I don't think so.  I think it was some hair gel or something that caught the light.  

It's just amazing that he didn't speak English until he went into American films, and now he's completely fluent.  It's usually hard to learn a foreign language in adulthood, and English is one of the hardest.

Damn, he's still such a hottie.

• Love 5

I'm not a basketball fan, so while I of course recognized his name, I knew relatively little of Kobe Bryant, but still found Stephen's tribute moving, especially so since he made mention of all the victims and not just the celebrity.  

• Love 10

There's been much discussion on the Hollywoods-dirty-little-open-secrets-harvey-weinstein-and-others-like-him thread about Bryant raping a woman, so my reaction to Stephen & Jon's discussion last night was ambivalent.

• Love 5

I appreciated (LOLed at and clapped for) the clever analogies of “pooping in the Froyo” and “crazy Uber driver” rather than the low-hanging fruit of making fun of of a slurred word or the physiology of the 1st son, as the latter seem not peculiar to anyone in particular, and therefore strike me as a bit offensive. 
…but then I am partial to a good analogy, as many do not hold up. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

Preview of Jim Carrey tonight

So glad to see Jim Carey doing so entertainingly well and nice to see JC and SC appreciating and encouraging each other in the adlibbed part.

“Jim Carrey Makes Late Show History With Grand New Orleans-Style Entrance” with Jon Batiste and Stay Human:  https://youtu.be/TPt83trNI7Y

“Jim Carrey Reimagines His Greatest Comedic Moments With Dramatic New Performances“: https://youtu.be/s68F_E9NfR0

• Love 2

I have no twitter account so I'm using this platform to express my outrage that Stephen just dissed 'The Hobbit'. How dare you, Sir?

Honestly - of course if you read LOTR first then you'll struggle with the Hobbit but for 10 year old it's the perfect intro. And it has that crazy charm that makes a great children's book. It's snobbish to diss the book for that. Wow, just realized I take this really personally LOL!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Last night Stay Human used the New Orleans-Style music piece (from Jim Carrey’s entrance the night before) for every transition instead of the regular theme music.
I know Jon Batiste is from New Orleans, so he might just want to enjoy it a little more, but maybe it was a further salute to Jim Carrey too? 
Just wondering. 

I just really love to hear Pete Buttigieg speak. 
And, hah! Buttigieg came out without a jacket after Trump’s virally-repeated remark about  congressman Jim Jordan not wearing a jacket must mean "He's obviously very proud of his body." 
BTW: The latest OS update to my iPhone or this forum includes Buttigieg in its dictionary.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Ahahahaha, oh, my god, that opening song :D. That was awesome. 

Secret Agent Man was one of my favorite songs growing up.

They do such a great job on the musical parodies.  Maybe some day they'll put together a compilation.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Secret Agent Man was one of my favorite songs growing up.

They do such a great job on the musical parodies.  Maybe some day they'll put together a compilation.

I'd buy that. 

I like that song, too :).

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just really love to hear Pete Buttigieg speak. 
And, hah! Buttigieg came out without a jacket after Trump’s virally-repeated remark about  congressman Jim Jordan not wearing a jacket must mean "He's obviously very proud of his body." 
BTW: The latest OS update to my iPhone or this forum includes Buttigieg in its dictionary.

Same. That was a really nice interview. 

And Stephen and Patton Oswalt's conversation was so much fun :D. Also, Oswalt's daughter is adorable. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And Stephen and Patton Oswalt's conversation was so much fun :D. Also, Oswalt's daughter is adorable. 

Patton’s callback clapback on “I didn’t know you were so into censoring things” was masterful. I’m so glad Stephen gave it the recognition it deserved! Truly, their whole conversation was delightful.

• Love 9