Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Five Episode Talk

• Start Topic

My mom and I got a really good laugh out of that, along with the bit in "Meanwhile" about the drug dealers who had the bag that actually said, "Bag Full of Drugs" on it :D. 

Also, as a "Criminal Minds" fan, it was really nice to see Joe Mantegna on here. I loved his stories-his mom sounded like an absolutely adorable woman. And I liked Stephen trying to figure out the censorship issue between his show and that of "Criminal Minds" :p. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Jim Carrey exhausts me. 

4 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Jim Carry was delightful.

Both things can be true.

Hee! That's what I started to type too! 
Especially with Jim Carrey, being exhausted by him and finding him delightful are not mutually exclusive.
I bet there's been a review of his work that has included "exhausting" and "delightful."

• Love 5

I'm still weak from laughing at Stephen's monologue last night! The shots of 'Billie Eilish' in the audience were hilarious!

It's pretty inspiring for John Oliver to become a citizen now, which he acknowledged is like falling in love with someone who's vomiting all over themselves. I trust there's something beautiful in there! I also liked his admission that his attraction to Eeyore is 90 percent non-sexual. I guess the other 10 percent would be doin' it donkey-style! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, DXD526 said:

It's pretty inspiring for John Oliver to become a citizen now, which he acknowledged is like falling in love with someone who's vomiting all over themselves. I trust there's something beautiful in there! I also liked his admission that his attraction to Eeyore is 90 percent non-sexual. I guess the other 10 percent would be doin' it donkey-style! 

Agreed. I actually do feel a little better knowing we've got all these new citizens joining us. A big congratulations and welcome to Oliver and all the others who've become U.S. citizens! Glad to have you all here in the States :). 

LMAO at your last sentence :D. Yeah, Oliver liking Eeyore does not surprise me one bit :p. That whole interview was so much fun. John is just so adorable <3. And I love his ad campaign for the new season of his show! That's fantastic

• Love 5
13 hours ago, DXD526 said:

It's pretty inspiring for John Oliver to become a citizen now, which he acknowledged is like falling in love with someone who's vomiting all over themselves.

Well, he’s just in time to be able to vote! Which I guess is the equivalent of dating that person to be able to take them to rehab?

How about that entrance?! Feeling competitive with Jim Carrey? 😄

Edited by ahisma
typo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

Congrats to John Oliver as a new citizen as well.  I was a little surprised that Stephen seemed surprised that John could be a dual citizen, since I would have thought that Stephen would be well aware that many of his fellow Irish Americans can apply for dual citizenship if they have a  grandparent born in Ireland (I do remember from Finding Your Roots though that Stephen's ancestry in the US goes back farther than that and was in fact very hard to trace as is often typical in Ireland sadly).

I've been catching up over Youtube and it was great to see Dick Cavett coming on, I had heard that he and Stephen were friendly though at one point Cavett was quoted as saying they only communicated over email.

That interview between Stephen and John Mulaney where they suddenly veered into exploring their own anxieties was something else, and fascinating.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I loved that segment, too. "Let's hear it for du Bois" was my favorite :D. 

I was smitten with Jon's opening vocals of "When a Man Loves a Woman," which totally captured Percy Sledge's rendition from the 60s.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was smitten with Jon's opening vocals of "When a Man Loves a Woman," which totally captured Percy Sledge's rendition from the 60s.

I abosoutely agree @shapeshifter!  I love it whenever Jon gets his own segments and it's even better when it's music-centered like this.

• Love 5
On 2/18/2020 at 9:12 PM, Skycatcher said:

Just venting.....

Do these guys ever work anymore?  It seems that I'm seeing more and more repeats from all the late night show hosts.

I am surprised SC didn't do a new show after tonight's debates. 

• Love 1

To be fair, it has to be extra exhausting these days. They start writing a monologue and by an hour before showtime it has to be completely rewritten because 45 has pulled so many shenanigans. (And then the monologue is still missing whatever was even more late breaking, and that has to be tacked on the next night.) They’re basically preparing two shows for every one that airs.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, ahisma said:

To be fair, it has to be extra exhausting these days. They start writing a monologue and by an hour before showtime it has to be completely rewritten because 45 has pulled so many shenanigans. (And then the monologue is still missing whatever was even more late breaking, and that has to be tacked on the next night.) They’re basically preparing two shows for every one that airs.

Agreed. And now that I think about it that way, tomorrow night would probably be better for rehashing the debates -- but tomorrow is a rerun too. That just surprises me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, kassygreene said:

The late shows very often do not do new shows on a holiday week, especially Xmas/NY, Thanksgiving, 4-Jul, Labor Day, & Memorial Day.  Easter week is usually an off week too.  

Yes, so it seems we can add Presidents Day Week to the list. 
I am expecting self-deprecating jokes about missing the Presidential nomination debate to observe Presidents Day. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I loved this Monday-after-Presidents-Day/nowWeek episode, and was really moved by Rahm's last line about what it would take for the country to change to a better direction, but now that I type this, I realize that even though he didn't drop any specific mayor names, he did make me feel all warm and fuzzy about them. Oh, Rahm, I still love your message, but not you-know-who.

Anyway, I really loved the lyrics to Hailee Steinfeld's song, "Wrong Direction." 

• Love 1
Just now, Annber03 said:

I liked Rahm's comment about looking at how a candidate responds to their failures. A very good point. 

Stephen's Bernie Sanders impression is just so fun :D. 

Yes and yes. 

If we got 4 years of POTUS Bernie, Stephen could both continue to kill in his monologues with the impersonations and get the emotional and intellectual break Stephen and other late night hosts have been claiming they so desperately need. Maybe they wouldn’t feel the need to take off Presidents Day week. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ahisma said:

“That’s universal child care, you jerk!” *fork stab*

The best!

I also loved how quickly she guessed some of those billionaires :D. 

As for tonight's episode, another great opening song. Pretty much sums it up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I live for Jim Anchorton segments.

"In your professional cosmetology opinion, what color is Trump's face?"

"The president has made a vow he's going to win every single African American vote in 2020...is he going to get your vote?"

"He's not going to get my vote--"

"Are you calling the president a liar?"

"Oh yeah, most definitely!"

Edited by BookThief
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8
(edited)

Omg Colbert on the verge of twerking is everything I didn’t know I needed. 🤣

I went to a semi-HBCU so I’m very familiar with Juvenile and that song. Steyer was pandering like hell, but it sure did bring back memories😂🤷🏽‍♀️

Hearing TV news pundits say “Back Dat Azz Up” all weekend while discussing Steyer was pretty hilarious 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by GoldenGirl90
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

OMG just caught 24-year-old (!) comedian Hannah Einbinder!

Like her (but back in the 70s-80s) when I was still dating:

Men, to me, are like Las Vegas: I show up, I lose everything that I came with, I vow never to return again, and then 6 months later, I'm like: "Let's go to Vegas!"

I love her style, delivery, content, story. Did I leave anything out?

)! 

• Love 3

I noticed Colbert is keeping his distance from the audience. Can’t say I blame him. No high fives for the front row and staying on stage at the end

• Love 3