Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season Five Episode Talk

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

He’s only lost 41% of his administration? I’m surprised it isn’t higher tbh. I’ve seen the article with the list of people who’ve resigned or been fired and it’s a loooong list. 

Rachel Maddow used to keep a board but gave up, finally, I think, because she couldn't squeeze in all the names.

4 hours ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

LOL @ both of the cookies of Jeff Sessions breaking 🤣🤣🤣 Colbert did a good job improvising!

Yes, but could have done without Stephen picking the cookie off the floor and eating it!

Always like John Dickerson, although I haven't watched 60 Minutes since the Mike 'n Morley days.  Stephen seems so much more comfortable in these political interviews than he is with movie stars.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

LOL @ both of the cookies of Jeff Sessions breaking 🤣🤣🤣 Colbert did a good job improvising!

But who ate all the spare cookies??? He said that they had a lot more during rehearsal!

• LOL 3

I liked the cookie thing, too :D. Second time this week he's had something happen with food* 

5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Always like John Dickerson, although I haven't watched 60 Minutes since the Mike 'n Morley days.  Stephen seems so much more comfortable in these political interviews than he is with movie stars.

I think you're right. I think he likes the people who can bring that kind of substantive conversation. That was a really nice interview.

*That cooking segment with the kids the other night was hysterical.

"This looks like a gangrenous wound!"

"...or Christmas..." 

• Love 5

I guess I missed something, because I don't understand why it was so vital to the bit that the cookie be absolutely perfect.  The top of at least the first one was fine, IIRC; couldn't he have just covered the broken bottom half with his hand and gone ahead?  Unless maybe the bit was going to involve something with the lower half, but I can't imagine what that might have been.

Like Stephen, I too have never seen The Shawshank Redemption. Just never got around to it. If I got the offer he did, a private screening with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, I'd take it!

Robbins has quite the neckbeard. I found it strangely distracting.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Like Stephen, I too have never seen The Shawshank Redemption. Just never got around to it.

My daughter hasn't either, and it's a shame, because it's a great movie.  She's somehow convinced it's got graphic violence, and it doesn't.  I'm still trying to get her to watch it with me, as it's unlikely we'll get a private screening with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

I did pretty well on the Shawshank quiz.

Damn, Tim Robbins looks old, and he's younger than I am.  The hair and beard make him look like Orson Welles.  That clip of Tim and Stephen didn't make either of them look any younger now.

My goodness, was Nicolle going clubbing after the show?  Not that she doesn't rock the look.

• Love 5

Add me to the list of those who've never seen Shawshank, either. I did know that "get busy living" quote, though, just 'cause it's been a popular quote over the years. 

I liked the interview with Wallace, too. They showed that clip of her cussing out those pundits on John Oliver's show recently, too :p. 

The bit with animated Trump running away from the peach during Stephen's monologue made me giggle :D. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

Love Nicolle Wallace.  Re Shawshank I too resisted and then it came on TV years ago and can't remember who I was with who started watching and I did too.  Now, whenever I see it on the cable guide, I rewatch, from wherever it is.  Great movie.

• Love 6

Excellent response to the whole thing about your book being moved about in that library, Stephen :D. Well played. 

"You're not creating liberal angst! You're just making the librarian's job that much harder." As someone who's worked in a library, this, thank you. Good lord, that guy needs to get a life.

I also laughed at Stephen surmising the culprit putting books in the wrong places was "anyone who's ever used a library" :p. 

• Love 11

I frequently watch The Late Show while falling asleep, and I regularly marvel at Stephen's impression of Bernie Sanders. With my eyes closed I have several times thought it was a clip of actual Bernie.

Thursday's in-show Sirius ad was pleasing to me. I like the way Stephen laces the sponsorship with contempt for the message, and hostility for the product reminds me of the old show in the best possible way.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
added a comma for clarity
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Excellent response to the whole thing about your book being moved about in that library, Stephen :D. Well played. 

"You're not creating liberal angst! You're just making the librarian's job that much harder." As someone who's worked in a library, this, thank you. Good lord, that guy needs to get a life.

I also laughed at Stephen surmising the culprit putting books in the wrong places was "anyone who's ever used a library" :p. 

Stephen should have bought the library 10 copies each of the mis-shelved books and a security camera to aim down the aisle where those books are kept.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

As a recently retired librarian, well, never mind my stories, but I loved this line: “In the ranking of library villains, you’re just below the toddler pooping in the puppet nook.”

7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Stephen should have bought the library 10 copies each of the mis-shelved books and a security camera to aim down the aisle where those books are kept.

I hope he does! 

• Love 4

I was literally swallowing some soda when Stephen went "moo."  Thanks for making me choke, buddy.

11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Sportswriter Rick Reilly wrote yesterday that he's going to Coeur d'Alene to bring them 10 copies of his book about 45 (which I'm now reading, courtesy of our public library--and you can't hide an e-book!).  

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, saoirse said:

Who wants to move to New Zealand with me?

*Raises hand, waves it around wildly* ME! New Zealand has been on my dream list of countries to visit for years now, and I can already tell this week is just going to give me more reasons to want to go there. 

Prime Minister Ardern seems lovely. The bit with her and Stephen singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" was wonderful :D. I also loved Stephen's reaction to the picture of her baby on her phone. 

• Love 4

I'm trying to imagine an American president just getting in their car and picking someone up at the airport.

NZ makes it impossible for a moderately old person like me to retire there.  You have to be able to invest about $800,000 and then show an annual income of about $40,000, neither of which I will ever be able to do.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I'm trying to imagine an American president just getting in their car and picking someone up at the airport.

NZ makes it impossible for a moderately old person like me to retire there.  You have to be able to invest about $800,000 and then show an annual income of about $40,000, neither of which I will ever be able to do.

I think you can stay up to 6 months at a time without becoming a permanent resident. so if you could find another great country you want to live in you could alternate 6 months in each one. If I was going to leave the U.S., New Zealand is where I would like to go. I would want to go to Wellington. I have never been there, so I might not like it as much as I think I would.

• Love 3

If Stephen Colbert wanted to go as far as possible from New York City (while remaining on the surface of this planet), wouldn't he head for the ocean a bit west of Perth, Australia?

• Love 1

I would happily ride around town with Bret McKenzie and Lucy Lawless anytime. That was fun. And Stephen's outfit. Hee.  

It'd be really awesome if he met up with Neil and/or Tim Finn. I would have a total fangirl moment if that happened. 

As for other topics, "Ms. Jackson if you're nasty". Nice :D. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I was thinking the same thing. It is so weird to see a world leader seemingly driving alone in their personal car.

Fun Fact: For security purposes, US Presidents and Vice Presidents are not allowed to drive themselves. Even after they leave office. 

• Love 3

I just saw the clip of HBC and Stephen exchanging poems and it reminded me of Dame Helen Mirren reading his favorite poem to him. I think he should make poetry a regular segment for all British actresses coming to his show 😁

• Love 3
13 hours ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

Also, Biden has so many gaffes last night, I cringed. He had a pretty bad night imo.

I think people have gotten used to his gaffes.  I know I have.  I actually thought he did pretty well.   

• Love 1

Could somebody please explain to me why Conan's gender is a mystery?   As Stephen said, the dog wasn't wearing pants - wasn't there a single reporter there who could tell the gender of a short coated dog using the highly sophisticated technique of looking at the relevant region of Conan's undercarriage? 

I weep for America.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Hooper said:

Could somebody please explain to me why Conan's gender is a mystery?   As Stephen said, the dog wasn't wearing pants - wasn't there a single reporter there who could tell the gender of a short coated dog using the highly sophisticated technique of looking at the relevant region of Conan's undercarriage? 

I weep for America.

Ask and the internet shall answer 😀 -

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/11/conan-the-dogs-sex-according-to-veterinarians.html?via=taps_top

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

He seems like such a sweet, lovely man :). I applaud his hard work helping to make sure hurricane victims are getting good food and meals, and I'm so glad that his organization is so successful. 

I also loved the update on the Idaho library getting that copy of Stephen's book. So cute to see those kids checking it out and carrying it to their car, and I loved the comment from the lady who runs the library, too. Well put. 

• Love 12

I'm just shocked by the news that 31 million people will be flying this weekend.  I know the day before TG is the busiest travel day of the year, but isn't that still 10% of the entire country?

Obviously this show, like Friday shows, was taped Monday or Tuesday.

11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I loved the comment from the lady who runs the library, too. Well put. 

The fact that Catcher in the Rye has been routinely banned by libraries and school boards is almost certainly responsible for its enduring popularity.

Jose Andres gave an important warning that too many people ignore--check out charities before you write that check.

I don't like moist turkey, but that's because I was raised that way.  My mother made a dry turkey every year, and she said she did it on purpose, so it's what I became used to.  And I don't make turkey anyway because DD's a vegetarian.  I've made her spaghetti for years.  

• Love 2

Where's Maddie the (sad sack) guitarist lately? I couldn't find an answer with the Google machine, but you guys usually know everything.

From above [MissLucas], who is HBC? I'm sure I'll slap my forehead when I learn who it is.

Is the show back on Monday?

Thanks. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

10 hours ago, Arcey said:

Where's Maddie the (sad sack) guitarist lately? I couldn't find an answer with the Google machine, but you guys usually know everything.

Maddie Rice is performing with Big Wild on his Superdream tour. You can see what Maddie is doing by watching her Instagram account @maddienoinsta

https://www.instagram.com/maddienoinsta/?hl=en

Here are the tour dates they had:

https://thepreludepress.com/news/2019/4/16/big-wild-announces-fall-superdream-tour-dates

Here are the upcoming tour dates:

http://superdream.bigwildmusic.com/

• Love 1