Type keyword(s) to search

BH90210 In the Media

• Start Topic

On 9/2/2019 at 11:23 AM, allienc said:

Alyssa Milano was second choice to play Val. They said it was a hard decision.

I could see that. Alyssa also has that gorgeous vibrant sex appeal that Worked for Tiffany, but with the girl next door baby face. 

22 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

When I was tween, I lived in a small town on the East Coast that had a very active KKK chapter. I'll never forget finding a swastika spraypainted in the bathroom stall at the local library, and this was 1997. Still crazy, but people think the 90's were innocent or enlightened and they forget about things like Ruby Ridge.

I know. I remember being a kid growing up in Chicago IL, it was either 1991 or 1992, and the KKK was holding a meeting in Gary, IN. I knew exactly what the KKK was and how close Gary was and was terrified (I was 6 or 7). My father told me we would be okay. 

I am not surprised Andrea wasn’t allowed to touch Jordan. D’Shawn was one of the only reoccurring black characters in the 10yrs run!

• Love 1
On 9/2/2019 at 12:23 PM, allienc said:

Brenda and Dylan broke up because Luke wanted to try new things - it wasn't because of the backlash received when Brenda and Dylan had sex or because Shannen was difficult to work with.

Shannen could be difficult to work with but it was important to remember that she was a child actor, as was Brian Austin Green, and that they did not have normal lives and gave up their childhood to be actors - and that can mess people up. She was also one of the youngest in the cast and that also played a part.

The trend toward soapy drama was not where they wanted things to go.

I'm probably going to get beaned for this, but...

1. Regarding the bolded. I know adding Luke to the show was the best thing they ever did, and I loved Luke. I was a Dylan girl, all the way. BUT. New things? Like cheating on your girlfriend, who is been the one person you truly loved and for over two years...is really original and new🙄
  2. It's well known that I never had any issue with Shannen--as I grew up watching her since her days on Little House. And she went from there to Our House to Beverly Hills. And Brian went from a recurring role on Knots Landing since he was wee straight to Beverly Hills, and then onto other shows/projects.
  3. Suuure. If they didn't want to, then they could have written it so it wouldn't. Did they get pressure from the network to go this route? Whatever.

I'm not a fan of 'oh I know so and so, who had this relationship so let's put it into the show' ideas.

I'll be sitting at my table for one, sipping my Mimosas.

• Love 2

Both Chuck and Larry are VERY upset that the music has been stripped for streaming and DVDs. They worked hard on choosing the music and it was important to the show.

This is the true tragedy of the streaming and DVDs.  Diehard fans know which songs were played and which ones are missing.  So many scenes have been stripped or deleted too.  

The writers didn't like the double standard that applied to Brandon and Brenda having sex.

I assume the network made this call.  Ugh.

Gabrielle was not allowed to touch Jordan because he was black. He could be her boyfriend but that was as far as the network was willing to go.

This is insane to me also.  At least the network loosened up slightly by 1994/95 when Donna danced with D'Shawn at her fundraiser.  Did she kiss him after their fake date when David was swooning over the blind piano teacher?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

This is insane to me also.  At least the network loosened up slightly by 1994/95 when Donna danced with D'Shawn at her fundraiser.  Did she kiss him after their fake date when David was swooning over the blind piano teacher?

Clearly, no one at FOX or who worked on the show, watched The Jeffersons. Tom and Helen. on CBS. A much more conservative network. But hey it was the '70s don'tchaknow [insert big bag of sarcasm here]🙄😒

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

This is the true tragedy of the streaming and DVDs.  Diehard fans know which songs were played and which ones are missing.  So many scenes have been stripped or deleted too.  

I assume the network made this call.  Ugh.

No they never kissed. Just danced. 

• Love 1
On 9/4/2019 at 11:18 AM, Earmuffs Mom said:

I wonder, though, if D'Shawn and Donna would have been a couple if the show was made a decade later. Because those two had chemistry and D'Shawn could be on my screen all day every day.

On 9/4/2019 at 11:25 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Clearly, no one at FOX or who worked on the show, watched The Jeffersons. Tom and Helen. on CBS. A much more conservative network. But hey it was the '70s don'tchaknow [insert big bag of sarcasm here]🙄😒

It sounded like part of the problem was that FOX was such a new network, they weren't willing to take as many chances with pissing people off. That's my own interpretation though, not an exact quote from Chuck & Larry.

• Love 5

The penultimate episode of Fox’s not-a-reboot BH90210 “reboot” this Wednesday drew 1.92 million total viewers and a 0.6 demo rating, ticking down on both counts for a fourth straight week. (Read recap.)

Versus its solid August premiere, BH90210 is now down a full 50 percent in both measures.

Ratings

On 9/2/2019 at 12:23 PM, allienc said:

Both Chuck and Larry are VERY upset that the music has been stripped for streaming and DVDs. They worked hard on choosing the music and it was important to the show.

It's been a while since i watched it on DVD, but stripping Losing My Religion?  BOO!! (And yet I clearly remember they removed Betty Boo "Doin' The Do. Go figure.) 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I hope they go back and add in how many people stream it later.  I just moved and don't have cable.  I could tune into FOX when I first moved in and of course it crapped out when I wanted to watch BH90210 live.  So I usually watch it on Thursdays (original 90210 night!!) via the Fox Now app.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, meggonzo said:

I hope they go back and add in how many people stream it later.  I just moved and don't have cable.  I could tune into FOX when I first moved in and of course it crapped out when I wanted to watch BH90210 live.  So I usually watch it on Thursdays (original 90210 night!!) via the Fox Now app.

I think Fox is one of the last networks that still cares about the Neilsen ratings. Most have move past that and know they get more viewers on other mediums. I got rid of my cable a few months ago and watch this show on Hulu the next day. I'm sure most others do as well. 

Since these were snippets of interviews, I'm posting it here.

I decided to watch the extras that my cable had On Demand about this show. I found it very interesting how they split them up. Jason and Gabby were each interviewed separately and by themselves. Tori and Jennie together; Ian alone; Brian and Shannen.  And they used the SAME clip from Jason for ALL of them. The one where he said he was happy to be back with the gang or these people. Or something. And the way they all waxed poetic about how they all loved each other and were like family, just made me 😒 because those of us who watched the original show, KNOW about all the behind the scenes drama that led to Shannen's firing. But those that didn't watch or didn't know, well, this is misleading. Especially since I'm aware that Jason, Jennie and Ian trash talked Shannen. I've read here, that Tori and Luke did too, but I don't remember that, so I won't speak to it.

That aside, these were nice snippets. And Shannen was the only one who said she wasn't originally going to be in it, but then Luke's sudden and shocking death changed her mind. She felt she owed it to the person that she loved and who meant the world to her (paraphrasing, but what she said was so heartfelt) and decided to join, as an homage to him.

There were funny moments with Shannen and Brian--did you know that it was Shannen who decided what David Silver would wear??🤣 I adore their friendship.

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Especially since I'm aware that Jason, Jennie and Ian trash talked Shannen. I've read here, that Tori and Luke did too, but I don't remember that, so I won't speak to it.

Jason and Luke were on a panel at a fan convention in 2013 (two parts on YouTube). Jason was extremely catty toward Shannen even after all these years while Luke was extremely kind toward her and being the upstanding gentleman that I’ve always heard him to be. I’ve looked at Jason differently since watching that, however. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I imagine they all said stuff about each other at some point or another, but I’d like to believe that Luke’s passing helped jolt them into a new perspective. I believe them when they say they are enjoying being together again, just because losing Luke probably helped them to realize the drama they had years ago just doesn’t matter anymore. Also they probably helped each other grieve. Now I’m not saying they will all be best friends and hang out together everyday from now on, but I can imagine this time together was important to all of them to heal and grieve Luke.

• Love 11

I remember Luke talking about difficulties with Shannen.  In his story, they were both equally awful.  They had to do a kissing scene and one person hid a kitten in their jacket pocket because the other person was severely allergic to cats.  The other person ate a bunch of garlic and onions beforehand in order to have extremely offensive breath the other would have to endure.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I think Brian was the only one that didn't say anything bad about her. So maybe they did keep in touch all these years. Shannen and Luke have obviously made up and became good friends since she was the only one of them asked by the Riverdale producers to be in his tribute episode. 

• Love 8

Shannen did say that Luke had been trying to convince her to join Riverdale for years now so yeah it seems they became really close.

But just going by the 2003 reunion, I would've assumed that majority would've resolved any past issues they had had with her around that time though it took the actual reboot for Shannen/Jenny to actually get close.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I think Brian was the only one that didn't say anything bad about her. So maybe they did keep in touch all these years. Shannen and Luke have obviously made up and became good friends since she was the only one of them asked by the Riverdale producers to be in his tribute episode. 

She and Luke also made up. When he passed, Shannen posted a picture of them together when she was undergoing chemo, and she said he was a great source of support. Seeing and reading that just gave me bittersweet fuzzy feelings. Bittersweet because he was now gone. I still can’t believe it.

And I’ve already set my dvr to record the Riverdale episode for her appearance! But I gotta go back and watch his episodes first!

• Love 7
On 9/6/2019 at 11:02 PM, Primal Slayer said:

Shannen did say that Luke had been trying to convince her to join Riverdale for years now so yeah it seems they became really close.

She should've done it. The writing's weird and wacky and inconsistent, but the dark tone of the show would have suited her. I could see her as Jughead's mother instead of Gina.

• Love 4
On 9/6/2019 at 11:24 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

She and Luke also made up. When he passed, Shannen posted a picture of them together when she was undergoing chemo, and she said he was a great source of support. Seeing and reading that just gave me bittersweet fuzzy feelings. Bittersweet because he was now gone. I still can’t believe it.

You also have to think that when they were on the original show, life really hadn't hit them yet.  They were twentysomethings playing teenagers on the hottest show in the nation at the time.  He was making every female alive practically swoon.  Think of all the goofy and stupid stuff you did in your lives in your twenties and possibly your thirties.

Life matured them both.  She unfortunately had terrible issues with cancer.  He became a parent.  I'm not one, but everyone that I know who is one says that being a parent changes your worldview.  And by all accounts, Luke was a good parent.

I agree that it is a tragedy that he is gone.  I don't watch Riverdale, but I've read that Luke was a wonderful mentor to younger actors and just had a wonderful presence on set.  I'm sad that presence wasn't on the BH90210 set, and I'm sad that Shannen has lost her good friend.  I know that the entire original cast misses Luke, but to live through the ordeal that Shannen did and then lose Luke so suddenly, I'd guess that'd be a special kind of difficult for her.

• Love 13

Hey, Fox!! I can't watch this, because you and my satellite provider are in a dispute, and I can't get the channel. I honestly don't know how long it has been going on, I don't watch anything on your network, and didn't notice until I saw that this series was a thing. This would have literally been the only thing on your channel I would have watched. 

• LOL 1
On 9/8/2019 at 3:44 AM, methodwriter85 said:

She should've done it. The writing's weird and wacky and inconsistent, but the dark tone of the show would have suited her. I could see her as Jughead's mother instead of Gina.

She is supposed to be on season 4 of Riverdale.  Not sure if it's just a cameo or larger role.

9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

You know, with his turn on Stranger Things, I was feeling nostalgic for Matthew Modine, but yeah, fuck him.

Did I miss something? I read the article linked above, and it sounded like it was some unknown actress who said this about Gabby? And the group, MembershipFirst, that retweeted it? I didn't read anywhere where Modine had anything to do with it? Or did he approve it?

Just color me confuzzled.

But yeah, social media is a cancer on society. Even if technically, message boards are also considered social media, of a sort. I guess I'm a hypocrite, then.

5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Did I miss something? I read the article linked above, and it sounded like it was some unknown actress who said this about Gabby? And the group, MembershipFirst, that retweeted it? I didn't read anywhere where Modine had anything to do with it? Or did he approve it?

Modine ran for president of SAG-AFTRA recently and lost to Gabrielle. It was his spokesman that apparently liked and retweeted what that actress said about getting rid of Gabrielle (illustrated with a clip from Scarface). Modine apparently has said and done nothing about his rep's action publicly at all.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the underlying political issues behind their rivalry, but casually judging from some of his followers and to some extent Modine himself on Twitter and some recent news articles, he's coming off as a douche.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Brenda and Dylan broke up because Luke wanted to try new things - it wasn't because of the backlash received when Brenda and Dylan had sex or because Shannen was difficult to work with.

The trend toward soapy drama was not where they wanted things to go.

Gabrielle was not allowed to touch Jordan because he was black. He could be her boyfriend but that was as far as the network was willing to go.

Thanks for the recap.

Just to clarify, what does "try new things" mean?

What would you, or Rosin, consider soapy drama?  Just so we're on the same page.  What storylines were mostly soapy, and not about teen issues anymore?  In some ways, I could think that Jackie and Mel's pregnancy and marriage, or Felice having an affair, are soapy.  It does relate to some issues such as having a parent re-marry, or having parents go through cheating issues, but the Felice thing wasn't dealt with beyond one episode. 

Jim and Cindy encountering swingers also didn't seem to serve much purpose, other than comedy in a jacuuzi.

It seems very half way to have an interracial boyfriend, but not be allowed to make contact with him.  I guess things changed 1.5 years later, when D'Shawn and Donna danced.

Do you mean the DVDs don't have the theme song and credits, especially after the episodes with cold opens?

On 9/6/2019 at 9:52 PM, Sakura12 said:

I've never seen Riverdale.  Is that tribute episode called "Chapter Forty-Nine: Fire Walk With Me"?  I don't want to read spoilers about it, so just tried a quick search.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, nuraman00 said:

I've never seen Riverdale.  Is that tribute episode called "Chapter Forty-Nine: Fire Walk With Me"?  I don't want to read spoilers about it, so just tried a quick search.

It's the Season 4 premiere in October called Chapter Fifty-Eight: In Memoriam.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, nuraman00 said:

It seems very half way to have an interracial boyfriend, but not be allowed to make contact with him.  I guess things changed 1.5 years later, when D'Shawn and Donna danced.

My memory's pretty hazy, but IIRC, they literally did touch, in the sense of Andrea platonically leaning against him once when they sat together at the Peach Pit. What they didn't do was any PDA you'd expect a dating couple to do, like kiss.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:59 PM, Kroliosis said:

Anyone know where to watch the first episode free?  It’s not on demand, the fox app or Hulu. 

Amazon Prime seems to have it, though I haven't consumer-tested it.

8 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Eeep.  Ian just announced he is splitting with his wife.  Life imitating art?

44 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I wonder if he's going to start dating a 25-year old?

And her mother?

• LOL 2

Interesting about Ian.  I had just heard him on a Sirius talk show (Jeff Lewis), where he talked about his great marriage, how wonderful his wife is, and he even shared the sweet story of how they met.  That was around when Episode 2 of the new show was just airing.  You wonder....was that all just for public?  Or what happened in his marriage?

It is disappointing but not particularly surprising that the show is not coming back.  I think most people were turned off by it not being a true reboot and they wanted to see the "characters" and not the "actors".  I thought the show was actually quite clever and I really enjoyed the Gabriele coming out storyline and will miss an "older" LGBTQ female character.   I thought this show was funny.  But I read far too many "I don't get it." reviews and too many 'why can't they write a real reboot" reviews for this show to have survived.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think most people were turned off by it not being a true reboot and they wanted to see the "characters" and not the "actors". 

Not me!  That it was primarily about the actors getting back together to do the revival, and all the backstage shenanigans that followed, with just little glimpses of the revival itself, is the only reason I agreed to watch it with my friend.  I think six episodes was the right length for a project like that and it ended when it should have.  It was a fun little summer experience, and if it went on it would stink.

But I am certainly not the target audience, since I think the original show was pretty bad (and then became just plain bad).  My friend who is a fan, but in a love/hate way, liked it being mostly about the actors and dreaded a second season if it would really get into the revival.  But if there was a lot of criticism of the format out there in reviews and social media, you're probably right that most fans wanted to see more of what the characters are doing now. 

As for the "I don't get it" complaints, though - I don't get it.  I didn't seek anything out, and everything I just happened to come across in announcing and then promoting the project was quite clear about the format.

• Love 3

This is a surprise. It wasn't a great show, but it was entertaining because it was so borderline.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if renewal talks broke down due to unreasonable demands rather than ratings or reception.

• Love 6