Type keyword(s) to search

BH90210 In the Media

• Start Topic

A selection of articles from our very own mothership:

BH90210: The Reviews Are In - Critics Weigh in on Wednesday's premiere https://www.primetimer.com/item/BH90210-is-clever-intentionally-cheesy-and-briefly-verges-on-a-profound-statement-about-middle-age-olSr5w

Justice for Valerie: Why Tiffani Thiessen Deserves to be a Part of BH90210 https://www.primetimer.com/features/valerie-malone-deserves-to-be-part-of-the-90210-reunion

Flashback: When Fox Set The Simpsons and 90210 to Take Down NBC's Must See TV https://www.primetimer.com/features/bh90210-is-already-an-important-part-of-tv-history

• Love 3
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Beverly Hills 90210 reboot is a demented, nostalgic mockumentary- that kind of works.

I liked that they referenced Degrassi. Aaron Spelling tried to buy the rights to it to do an American version, but they refused.

That show is on like it's 4 or 5th iteration now. Coincidentally, Shenae Grimes was on both the 2nd generation of the show and the "new" 90210.

I do miss Degrassi, it was on for most of my life! But there was a big gap between Degrassi High (the early 90s) and Degrassi The Next Generation(2001), it may come back. I thought it was a great vehicle for child actors, please tell me Why Charlotte Arnold isn’t a household name? But it gave us Drake and Nina Dobrev...

• Love 1
22 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

"You have to quit the New Evolution. They're brainwashing you!" Oh man, I'm dying. Kelly's life really would be an absolute nightmare to live.

What I wouldn't have given for "David" to run up and be all, "Kelly, I know you hate your dad, but don't let him drive you to coke!". #cokekelly4eva

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

What I wouldn't have given for "David" to run up and be all, "Kelly, I know you hate your dad, but don't let him drive you to coke!". #cokekelly4eva

I loved how increasingly ridiculous Kelly's storylines got after the fire.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 8/9/2019 at 3:03 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Ian Ziering dismisses the CW 90210 as "not cannon"

I'm kind of torn on this in the sense that I agree with him that the show really didn't have much to do with the OG, but you're not really doing yourself or this show any favors here, buddy.

Did the CW90210 bring in new fans to the OG - yes.  Did it make them want to watch the reruns - yes.  Did it help keep the show in syndication - yes.  Did Ian Ziering make money off of that - YES!!!

• Love 6
On 8/8/2019 at 12:40 AM, Primetimer said:

A selection of articles from our very own mothership:

Justice for Valerie: Why Tiffani Thiessen Deserves to be a Part of BH90210 https://www.primetimer.com/features/valerie-malone-deserves-to-be-part-of-the-90210-reunion

Valerie was on the show for longer than Brenda. Character wise, she should be there - although it does seem as if BH9210 is focusing on the HS years. 

Those ratings for episode 2 are actually still strong. They were the top rated non-reality show for the night and did very well in the right demographic. The first episode had a ton of curiosity seekers so it was bound to see a big drop.

If they can hold steady there it'll be considered a hit. Also the first episode apparently had huge DVR/streaming numbers, so this episode is definitely going to be viewed a lot more than 2.5 million people.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, seaELare said:

Christine Elise's interview in The Advocate.  Great interview.  

I love her thoughts on what she didn't want her character to be:

They asked what I wanted to do. I didn't think that question would be asked. So I had to come up with what I want [my character] to do. Jason [Priestley] and I were a couple in real-life for five years, back in the day. Jason and I are still really close; he's one of my best friends. I do all my holidays with him and his family. And when I thought they would tie my story to Jason, I wasn't interested. The one rule I had for this was not having a romantic thing with Jason, because it's creepy and gross — he's like my brother! It'd be like kissing my dad. I also didn't want the storyline to be that limiting; to be relegated to girlfriend. Or even worse, being in competition with his wife. I didn't want any of that toxic girl-on-girl drama that dominates so much television.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I don't know, if this show does get renewed my guess is that it'll be moved to Hulu. This show screams bingewatch to me.

That could actually work that into the show too. Streaming wasn't around when the show first aired. It's the new thing, I could see Tori wanting to get on the streaming train and being perfectly fine with the show moving to Hulu and talking about Hulu within the show. It's already having the episodes a day after they air on Fox. 

I went down a rabbit hole of headlines, and found he's always sharing information like that - they have sex every day, his son walked in on them banging when they first started dating, etc. - and rags like People give him the publicity he wants by "reporting" on it every time he does.

(Also, Dean, in the wise words of Rose Nylund (The Golden Girls), people who talk about sex all the time usually aren't having a whole lot of it, so the useless grifter doth boast too much, methinks.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
18 minutes ago, angelusgirl said:

And then there is this...... if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read

Without revealing anything, I think some posters in this forum will see that they have been spot on about what might be to come.

4 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

from this article, "However, one of the show's stars, Luke Perry, who played heartthrob Dylan McKay, died in March and is not in the show."

Are they serious?!? This is like saying water is wet. Smh. It'd be news that a dead man is in a show. Any show!!!

And even if he hadn't died, Luke had said he wasn't planning on doing it, but wished his former cast well. The "author" of this piece is a fucking moron. Because then there's this bit:

Priestley also told "GMA" that Carol Potter, who played his mother,

Sydney Walsh, will return, and as a wink to hardcore fans,

It's Cindy, you moron.

That all said, there's nothing in the written article, that was new.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Are they serious?!? This is like saying water is wet. Smh. It'd be news that a dead man is in a show. Any show!!!

I think that writers write sentences like that because there is so much information and fans don't read the same sources.   For example, I was completely unaware that TAT and Jennie have beef or that Brian has a child with Vanessa Marcil.  Read those two tidbits here. 

Someone may know that Luke has died but not know that he had a conflict with Riverdale and his participation in BH90210 was up in the air.  Some might have also thought that he could have taped scenes before he died.  He had a movie come out after his death.  The article is telling people that a scenario like that isn't in play here.

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's Cindy, you moron.

You know that we often think alike, but in this case, I don't think the writer is a moron or referring to Cindy Walsh.  I remember a Sydney from the original series (later years)  A cousin of Brenda and Brandon, maybe?  I don't remember, but there was a Sydney.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

I don't think the writer is a moron or referring to Cindy Walsh.

"Priestley also told "GMA" that Carol Potter, who played his mother, Sydney Walsh, will return ..."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I always find it strange when they have someone who has obviously not seen the show do the interviewing. Or they don't bother to do enough research, it's not hard to look anything up on wiki. I'm not a writer but if I don't know how to spell someone's name, I type it into google  and copy/paste. Was no one else on that staff is a fan of the show that could do the write up? 

57 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And even if he hadn't died, Luke had said he wasn't planning on doing it, but wished his former cast well. The "author" of this piece is a fucking moron. Because then there's this bit:

It's Cindy, you moron.

On GMA, Jason announced 3 series regulars that would be making an appearance and it is quoted in the article.  One was Carol Potter, one was Christine Elise and the other is why I put a spoiler warning.

Edited by angelusgirl
to clarify
59 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's Cindy, you moron.

It was news to me that Jason is starring in the V.C. Andrews "Heaven" series on Lifetime.  May need to look that up ...

45 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

You know that we often think alike, but in this case, I don't think the writer is a moron or referring to Cindy Walsh.  I remember a Sydney from the original series (later years)  A cousin of Brenda and Brandon, maybe?  I don't remember, but there was a Sydney.

You are probably thinking of Sydney from Melrose Place!

15 minutes ago, meggonzo said:

You are probably thinking of Sydney from Melrose Place!

After some searching, IMDB tells me that I was likely thinking of the actress Sydney Penny who played the character of Josie Oliver.

Not really media related but wanted to share;

As posted before, my friend went to L.A. for Brian's live podcast taping and is posting updates  on her Facebook page.  She went to the pop up Peach Pit today and Ian showed up...with Joe E Tata AND Douglas Emerson (mostly bald, but still looks pretty good.)  She is beside herself living her best fan life. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Not really media related but wanted to share;

As posted before, my friend went to L.A. for Brian's live podcast taping and is posting updates  on her Facebook page.  She went to the pop up Peach Pit today and Ian showed up...with Joe E Tata AND Douglas Emerson (mostly bald, but still looks pretty good.)  She is beside herself living her best fan life. 

I just saw this on the Instagram page for Brian’s podcast. I may have teared up a little. 

And Nat! 

• Love 8

Last I read, Douglas Emerson was an intelligence officer in the Air Force!  Wondering if he's still serving today.

I heard Ian Ziering on Jeff Lewis' podcast about 2 weeks ago.  He was great, and he even took a few calls saying they didn't like Episode 1, and handled them really well.  He did explain that it's a show about a show, and that there are loose facts within the characters that are true of the actors.  He referenced Tori's financial issues, Jennie's 3 marriages, etc.

He also talked a lot about the unexpected success of Sharknado.  Basically, he sounded like a really cool, down-to-earth guy.

He's happily married, and he met his wife at an L.A. hotel on a Labor Day weekend several years ago, when he said every guy there was total douchebag, and girls were flaunting themselves everywhere, and he was just not enjoying it.  He saw this really cute girl, inside, playing chess (??), and he made his way inside to talk to her, and they are now married.  He spoke highly of his wife.

I'm actually loving this show.  After the first episode, I wasn't so sure.  So I let the last couple of them stack up on my DVR, which I just watched, and I gotta say....I actually like it, and hope it gets renewed.  I'm impressed with the creative way they've gone about bringing the actors back, showing their vulnerability, while working on recreating the show.

I think if we had just heard the 90210 music, and Brandon was working at the Peach Pit, and Kelly was batting her eyes, we'd all be like.....oh puuh-lease.  No one in life doesn't move on in 25 years.  So I'm impressed that they are using this angle.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 13

I went to the peach pit event Friday and live podcast Saturday - the cast was very clear that they wanted a second season and if the fans did as well, we should put it out there on social media.

It was a really great event and everyone there was gracious and appreciative. Brian, Ian, Gabrielle, , Joe, Douglas, Carol and Christine were there. Ian's family was in the audience - kids are adorable and he told Brian to chill with the F bombs. Ian is VERY personable and sincere. Christine was very down to earth. Carol was hilarious and Gabby was so excited about everything - tried to go instagram live.

Brian did a legit mic check.

Joe did not look well 😞

• Love 9

@allienc Thanks so much for all that info! Must’ve been such a fun event. I really love that Doug Emerson came out, he looks great.

That is CRAZY that Gabrielle couldn’t touch the actor playing Jordan. It was the 90’s for God’s sake, how was that still an issue?!  I remember liking them together and excited for that relationship but then it fizzled out. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, desertflower said:

That is CRAZY that Gabrielle couldn’t touch the actor playing Jordan. It was the 90’s for God’s sake, how was that still an issue?!  I remember liking them together and excited for that relationship but then it fizzled out. 

When I was tween, I lived in a small town on the East Coast that had a very active KKK chapter. I'll never forget finding a swastika spraypainted in the bathroom stall at the local library, and this was 1997. Still crazy, but people think the 90's were innocent or enlightened and they forget about things like Ruby Ridge.

Doug Emerson looks great! Has anyone else ever noticed though that natural blond blue-eyed guys usually end up bald? I guess that's because natural blond hair is usually wispy and fine. (Ian worked out a really good hairplug plan with his doctor, it looks like.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

When I was tween, I lived in a small town on the East Coast that had a very active KKK chapter. I'll never forget finding a swastika spraypainted in the bathroom stall at the local library, and this was 1997. Still crazy, but people think the 90's were innocent or enlightened and they forget about things like Ruby Ridge.

Sadly, I know this stuff still goes on (even today), but I would’ve thought the TV and network execs would’ve been past worrying about representing an interracial couple by then. I guess movies were starting to show it more but tv lagged behind.