Type keyword(s) to search

DOOL's Digital Series

• Start Topic

My stream of consciousness post about the first episode of S2: 

Loved Kayla/MBE with that haircut. She looks sooooo good! And generally, Johnson family ftw!

I lol’d at Steve’s line to Joey about “looking a little different from the last time he saw him”.  Ha - yeah, a recast will do that.

Good for Ciara calling out Hope being MIA for the last two years.

production values were utter crap.  If that’s the “Mediterranean”, I’m the queen of England!

great the show acknowledged Pride Month/LGBT community, but the John and Paul scenes were boring.

so that bomb somehow did just enough damage to incapacitate Kayla and the kids so they can’t prevent Steve being kidnapped yet was not powerful enough to kill Steve (not that the intent was to kill him), but I’ve never heard of a bomb that performed multiple functions just exactly right 

hey Hope, doesn’t matter how long or loud you say how much you love your family, actions speak louder than words 

woot woot woot - I hope that really is Andrew Donovan. Been too long since he was last on Days (and SUCH a hottie too!)

glad Bo is back but not like this. It’s gonna get tiring REALLY fast just having him stream “Earth flix”

• Love 6

Why is Heaven full of ruins and weeds?

Hope's lace dress left nothing to the imagination.

The DJ, Terrence, is Tony from Dishin' Days.  He has been trying for years to get on the show.

Never turn your back on the guy you've just been fighting.

This guy picks John up in San Francisco and Steve in Seattle.  Did he drive all the way?

Hope has a porthole in her inner door?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

That was really...bad. And I say that as someone who mostly enjoyed the first chapter with the Melatonin Peacock or whatever.

I appreciate the Pride acknowledgement, but good lord. I felt so embarrassed for everyone filming that party. Drake's dancing. OMG. I hope he had fun at least. And I was happy to see Paul again.

The Johnson family scenes were mostly ok, but yeah, as someone mentioned, that was one smart bomb, being able to pick and choose like that, especially given Steve opened the damn box. How was he not incinerated?

Hope and Cin. I mean...sure. Kristian Alfonso seemed kinda rusty to me. And I felt like we got like 10 straight minutes of them apologizing and hugging and kissing. So I'm assuming Hope is undercover and knows this Michaels dude is a baddie.

Ghost Bo. Who knew you could get bored in heaven? Or get your earth cam streaming privileges revoked?

Thanks to those who gave a primer on Megan Hathaway. Is it the same actress who originally portrayed her?

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, RedElf said:

Never turn your back on the guy you've just been fighting.

This!  On every show, every time, the person who "won" the fight goes over to the unconscious person, turning their back on the "vanquished" enemy - only to be hit on the head with something.  Those fight scenes were beyond bad by the way, it looked like they were blocking the moves (not even performing) for the seventh grade play.

• Love 4

Yes, that is the original actress Miranda Wilson reprising the role of Megan Hathaway.  

I know we are getting Eileen, but it's nice to see one of Stefano's other daughters. 

• Love 3

I'm enjoying it. Its better than whats happening on the show.   I'm surprised people are surprised at the cheese.  Ron has been writing the how for a few years now.   

I liked ep 1 more than ep 2 minus the John dancing scene and the pride PSA.   I like Joey. Well, I like the actor since he seems like a strong actor.  Hope he returns for the main show. 

I enjoyed the scenes with Steve and John with Megan, she's as nuts and evil as she was in 1984-85, lol  and I loved the boys oneliners to her. 

Blast in the past with old CK at the gym, all we needed was a cameo from an ex viper to make it complete. 

Trying to stay openminded with the Andrew , I wanted him  to look like Shane and have an accent, so I'm trying not to nitpick lol, he took after Kim I guess. 

Could do without seeing Ciara walking around in her lingerie, but that's me nitpicking again. lol 

I Know where  they are going with this and I'm liking it and it make sense in the DOOL sense of the word, and I knew it before the show even aired... blame it on the creative writing classes I've took and from years of watching soaps .

I'm loving Hope and BO and I know Hope isn't a favorite on this board, but she's my ride or die Queen and I love Kristian Alfonso, so I'm over the moon to see her back on my screen and Peter, oh how happy I am! 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Mckinnonsgirl said:

Trying to stay openminded with the Andrew , I wanted him  to look like Shane and have an accent, so I'm trying not to nitpick lol, he took after Kim I guess. 

Eve and Theresa don't have accents, so why should Andrew?

• Love 2

On the fence with Andrew.  We'll see.   I hated the hot tub stuff.   Felt too forced.  Feels like because the show is on Peacock they have to throw in these PSAs. Nothing is subtle 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, RedElf said:

I'm just being a brat, I wanted him to be the spitting image of his Father,  voice and all.... nothing against not having an accent, I just wanted him to epitomize his Father from looks to voice and that's on me .

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Swartz said:

I like Joey. Well, I like the actor since he seems like a strong actor.  Hope he returns for the main show. 

He was really good in Impulse on Youtube so I was hoping he'd be good here and he is. I also hope they bring him to the main show. I wouldn't mind them brining the new Shin to the main shows as well.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

He was really good in Impulse on Youtube so I was hoping he'd be good here and he is. I also hope they bring him to the main show. I wouldn't mind them brining the new Shin to the main shows as well.

Yeah Wendy is better than her brother.  The young actress is stronger and had more of a personality in this 1 episode than the actor playing Li Shin.    

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if they would have a Tripp/Wendy/Joey triangle on the mothership if they were to come there.

Imagine Tripp losing yet another woman.. (if he does can he finally develop an edge or have a crazy period).

They should let JT be Chris K and I will gladly forget Roman ever existed

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 3

I wonder what audience days and peacock tv are trying to attract.  Obviously those who watch the show  but those folks will already be watching.  A new audience isn't going to get all the 80 references and inside jokes.   I dunno.   I would think they'd try and attract a wider audience and not be so campy and ott.   Stick will family moments. Do a This is Us.  It's a popular nbc show. Try to be more like that maybe.

I mean I appreciate the callbacks but do others?  I don't even pick up on all of them. I don't remember the character Kristen was playing and I've been watching since the 80s

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I wonder if they would have a Tripp/Wendy/Joey triangle on the mothership if they were to come there.

Imagine Tripp losing yet another woman.. (if he does can he finally develop an edge or have a crazy period).

I wondered the same thing. Tripp’s face when Joey said Wendy was talking to him cracked me up. It looked like he had tears lol he’s been through it.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Yes, that is the original actress Miranda Wilson reprising the role of Megan Hathaway.  

I know we are getting Eileen, but it's nice to see one of Stefano's other daughters. 

If there are any former Santa Barbara viewers on here, Miranda Wilson also played Sondra the psychic during the Adrianna kidnapping storyline.

But I am surprised Megan isn't worm food. Go figure!

(edited)
28 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

They should let JT be Chris K and I will gladly forget Roman ever existed

Hasn’t Paul (and maybe Andrew too?) met Roman as played by JT? So why didn’t he/they say something about how “Chris Gym Guy Kosticek” looks like someone they know in Salem? 

Too bad cutie Andrew can’t act. 

Thanks to IMDb, I realized the Joey actor was on the Nikolodeon kid’s show The Thundermans

Michaels’s “Navy SEALs” shirt is ridiculous but still better than the atrocity Ciara was wearing 

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Mckinnonsgirl said:

Same here.  I don't trust this writer to do justice to Kim and Shane's son.  

7 hours ago, RedElf said:

Shane did take custody of Andrew and Jeannie aka Theresa after Kim had her mental breakdown and they lived across the pond for years with their father in the lap of luxury.  Then the show decided to make Kim and Shane bad parents to justify Theresa's awful characterization.

Eve never grew up with Shane so she never would have had a British accent.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Swartz said:

The current writers really need to get over their obsession with Kristen.  She was the big surprise in chapter 1 and here we are again.  It's tedious 

Kristen is the character that SHOULD BE dead dead, not Abigail. She is 30 years past her sell-by date.

• Applause 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Eve never grew up with Shane so she never would have had a British accent.

Except Eve was adopted by the Baron family and grew up in England. Maybe they moved here later though. I don't think the show really went into it

• Useful 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Except Eve was adopted by the Baron family and grew up in England. Maybe they moved here later though. I don't think the show really went into it

I had forgotten about that.  Eve never made sense to me in her original story in relation to Shane.  Shane would have had to be 12 when he impregnated her mother.  Eve should have been a girl that the Brady family fostered like they did with Max and Frankie.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Hasn’t Paul (and maybe Andrew too?) met Roman as played by JT? So why didn’t he/they say something about how “Chris Gym Guy Kosticek” looks like someone they know in Salem? 

Probably for the same reason no one says "Why does Kristen look so different outside of Salem?"

• LOL 3
9 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I had forgotten about that.  Eve never made sense to me in her original story in relation to Shane.  Shane would have had to be 12 when he impregnated her mother.  Eve should have been a girl that the Brady family fostered like they did with Max and Frankie.

Charlotte Ross was clearly cast because of her resemblance to Jane Windsor and Eve was meant to be Emma and Shane's daughter. They did a dumb retcon and made her Gabrielle's which made zero sense both because they were both very dark haired and that they met as adults while I think Shane and Emma were teenagers together 

So they have Bo isolated and he'll never interact with his wife, kid, sister, best friend?  That's where this seems to be heading and its dumb as hell. 

Also why introduce Stephanie here and not show her. Where's that Johnson family focus I thought we were getting.  Instead its Kristen and gimmicks getting more airtime. 

I do like the young actors they hired. That's a positive 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Swartz said:

Also why introduce Stephanie here and not show her. Where's that Johnson family focus I thought we were getting.  Instead its Kristen and gimmicks getting more airtime. 

Ron said that the original intent was to get Shelley Hennig to play Stephanie in the first episode. The explosion would happen, her face would be covered in bandages, they’d remove the bandages and NuStephanie would be in her place. Since Shelley was unavailable the gimmick didn’t work and I guess they didn’t have much else planned for NuStephanie.

• Useful 2

The pointless Gabi and Li Shin window sex that opened the 3rd episode pretty much defines Ron's writing to me.    Instead of character based stories we get  that kind of stuff 

(edited)
15 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Charlotte Ross was clearly cast because of her resemblance to Jane Windsor and Eve was meant to be Emma and Shane's daughter. They did a dumb retcon and made her Gabrielle's which made zero sense both because they were both very dark haired and that they met as adults while I think Shane and Emma were teenagers together 

I remember that rumor about Eve being Emma's. It would have made sense given everything that Kim went through because of Emma and Eve.  Emma was a great villainess written by the fabulous Sherry Anderson.  She was diabolical cruel vicious vile and owned it.  She hated Kim with a passion and took pleasure in torturing her literally and figuratively.  She had a blind Kim crawl through broken glass injuring herself to retrieve a broach that Shane gave her..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
(edited)

Is Sherri living well? I'd like to think after all the great work she's done in her career that she's having a comfortable existence.

Okay, I'm watching through the first episode and even with the warnings here, was *not* prepared for Drake jumping into the dance scene like that. I had to press stop. The hell...?! 😲 I mean, was no one concerned about his dignity?

I'm saying this and meanwhile here's poor Peter, finally back, cracking "jokes" in the cheapo version of heaven.

Okay. I'll say it. They never should have killed Bo off. They should have definitely, 100% kept him alive, written him and Hope out, and had them guest whenever they wanted to. Cause this? This is hell.

He's such a natural loveable actor now and had plenty of story left in him, even if he wanted long breaks.

Theoretically, shouldn't Bo be hanging out with Zach and Shawn and Caroline? Not bored staring at a viewscreen?

Boy they screwed Bo up.

Anyway, I like the new Johnson siblings. They seem ok.

And nice seeing Hope again too. Wasn't expecting the grandma sweater though.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Is Sherri living well? I'd like to think after all the great work she's done in her career that she's having a comfortable existence.

Sherri and Ron did not see eye to eye when it comes to the show so she left. She favors character-driven stories while Ron prefers plot-driven ones.  She clashed with JER in the 90's for the same reason and left as well.  Hence we got the possession storyline in the 90's..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
(edited)

Plot-driven is: I think it'll be exciting for there to be a time jump/serial killer/baby switch/demon possession storyline now and I'll move the characters into certain positions to accomplish that. Plot comes first.

Character-driven is: I've been thinking about what these characters have been through/what the audience responds to with them/where they seem to be headed narratively-speaking and I'm going to let the plot come out of what changes the characters seem to need/be demanding. Character comes first.

Character-driven stories are what soaps were built on. When you favor plot, events can feel random, detached, meaningless and shallow (weddings, sudden deaths, descents into madness, etc).

Ben is a perfect example of plot-driven storytelling. He wasn't turned into the Necktie Killer because he was more interesting that way - he wasn't - he was turned into a killer because they wanted to write out Paige, Serena and Will and it was the 50th, so there were headlines to grab. So...why not take that boring character over there and make him a killer? If the audience hates him, we just won't bring him back...and if they like him, then great, he finally has an identity! *eyeroll*

The killer could have been any other random person. It didn't matter. He was made a killer "just because" and was made a hero afterwards "just because" they wanted to keep the actor around. All of Ben's writing has been plot-driven. It's more about what producers and writers think is cool and what they want to see rather than listening to the material. But having bold ideas can yield good results too.

Will being gay was plot-driven at first since the groundwork was never there (due to there being zero gay characters previously, more than anything) and they knew it would be a new frontier for the show to explore. Once they decided to make Will gay, they built towards it gradually and audiences loved it. It felt earned by the time he came out. And Will being gay gave him a unique place in the show, with distinct opportunities for growth and struggle. So it ultimately became based in character-driven storytelling, because they created a whole character when they reintroduced him as a young adult and then asked where he'd go and what he'd do. That's  (mostly) what's created his storylines for the last decade. His death, obviously, was about removing gay people from the plot.

Better writing for Ben at the outset might have made the murder stuff more compelling...but it really came down to how that storyline reveal played out. His reasons for murdering were flimsy and they didn't make Ben complex. He was still one-dimensional, just with a murder weapon in hand. It wasn't until years later that they retroactively claimed he'd repressed a memory of giving Clyde a necktie on the same day a murder was  committed, linking his random murders in a somewhat more interesting way. It was an afterthought though.

Great actors can try to subtly bridge the gap between who they know the character to be and the random thing they're now being told has to happen...but there's only so much you can do. And they have to know who they're playing first.

JER did plot-driven storylines with  character-driven elements. It wasn't perfect but it was a decent balance. On the one hand, John was made dumb as a doornail but on the other, Kristen finally fell under Stefano's influence and went crazy and the actress could connect that to the calm, normal lovable Kristen that she'd played previously. So it worked even if the lookalike stuff and John's sudden stupidity were plot-driven. Her "father" was evil and had a way of rationalizing his crimes, and Marlena and John had unfinished business. So it made sense, looking at those elements, to say "Stefano urges Kristen to do evil to keep from losing John" as a direction for the plot.

Nicole now being with Rafe? Plot-driven. Rafe is played by a favored actor who needed a plotline, Nicole needed to kill time until Eric got back...voila. They're a couple. Do they spark? Nope. Are we invested? Nope. But they decided this was the plot, so voila.

Notorious monster Clyde working at the Pub? Plot-driven.

Theresa attempting to be a better person because she had and almost lost a kid and his father? Character-driven. Lilly still got to play Theresa's bad-girl side while Theresa tried to straighten herself out. It felt like a person maturing gradually.

Sami and Kate working together to take down EJ and Stefano? The culmination of years of ups and downs between them. Character-driven.

Make sense?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I like what they've done with Joey. It's subtle but he appears interesting but also immature.   Tripp left Salem because he was a loser in love and here he goes and interrupts a dance between Joey and Wendy.  Can't blame a guy for never giving up.   

Not sure I want Tripp back in Salem but I really enjoyed the competition  with him and Joey.  I really like the new Joey.  He's got a little bit of an edge which you'd expect from Steve Johnson kid.  That and he also was just out of jail.   Hope he comes to Salem!

I don't know why they aren't showing Stephanie other than they didn't have plan for her because she is already  returning to the main show

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So you can age in heaven? Why would they cast an adult actor to play Zach when he died as a little kid? I mean, I don't really care, but it just seemed wrong. Unless maybe it was the same actor who portrayed him way back when? That would be kinda neat, actually.

Y'all, I howled laughing when the priest (who I had forgotten about) literally stepped in front of Harris' gun-pointing arm and tried to be all jovial "can I just have a word with you?" like the dude hadn't just up and killed the bride, and got himself shot. It shouldn't have been funny, but it was. 

Also, hearing Hope say "holy shit" was really weird.

I don't know if I blinked and missed a scene, but one minute John and Steve were walking into the ballroom at the gala, and the next they were walking into a different room where Marlena and Kayla were (where did they come from?), like they were expecting to see them. Marlena and Kayla should've suspected something was up the way John and Steve were acting.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it now, lol.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Swartz said:

I like what they've done with Joey. It's subtle but he appears interesting but also immature.   

Same. The previous actor seemed a little... dim...and this recast carries that forward a bit. Him taking them to see weird landmarks was a fun idea. Joey is an off-beat guy. He did date a girl in a cult after all.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

So you can age in heaven? Why would they cast an adult actor to play Zach when he died as a little kid? I mean, I don't really care, but it just seemed wrong. Unless maybe it was the same actor who portrayed him way back when? That would be kinda neat, actually.

When I get to that episode I'll let you know if it's the same actor - I remember him well. They stupidly brought him back to be a creep boyfriend for Ciara because....well because all her adult storylines apparently had to suck.

But it was really moving when he and Bo and Stefano appeared at the cabin to bring Hope closure.

I'd better hurry up and watch these!

• Love 4
On 7/12/2022 at 6:57 PM, Swartz said:

I wonder what audience days and peacock tv are trying to attract.  Obviously those who watch the show  but those folks will already be watching.  A new audience isn't going to get all the 80 references and inside jokes.   I dunno.   I would think they'd try and attract a wider audience and not be so campy and ott.   Stick will family moments. Do a This is Us.  It's a popular nbc show. Try to be more like that maybe.

I mean I appreciate the callbacks but do others?  I don't even pick up on all of them. I don't remember the character Kristen was playing and I've been watching since the 80s

I think the idea is to get the core Baby Boomer audience used to streaming a soap opera. The short-lived revivals of One Life to Live and All My Children that steamed on Hulu didn't really connect to that audience. As for aging in Heaven, it's kind of inevitable if you're using the OG actors for a heaven. Specific to the situation, One Life to Live had Erin Torphey come back as Jessica's daughter Megan, who was a stillborn. There was a wink and nod about SORAS happening in Heaven, too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Finished episode 1. Don't know which was more jarring: John attending an all-male beefcake shirtless Pride party in an apartment...having the resolution to Paul's paralysis be an afterthought...or hearing John talk about Stonewall. That was...forced. I liked his comments about past cops on the force because it is believable that he'd have picked up on homophobic comments between cops, even before gay guys were in his life. But Stonewall?

HATED Ciara breathing down Hope's neck. It just felt like Ron and Ken venting at KA through Ciara for leaving the show abruptly. And no, you entitled snot, Mommy didn't owe you another appearance at another wedding. Shut up! Cripes - worry about someone other than yourself or Ben for once. You were invited to see your Mom and all you can do is give her shit? Scram please.

Also - a 6 month old on a boat steered by two beginners? That sounds like insanely bad parenting.

Getting used to hokey heaven. Maybe it's not so bad. Poor Loretta cannot say "Beauregard" to save her life though. It would have been awesome if Lexie was there chatting with Bo, though. More of a friendly "don't spy and torture yourself old friend" vibe than the carping Angela is doing.

Loved Hope saying what a bad decision it would have been to stay in Salem and fall back in with Rafe - ha! 😄 No kidding.

Ok Meagan - don't immediately suck.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Y'all, I howled laughing when the priest (who I had forgotten about) literally stepped in front of Harris' gun-pointing arm and tried to be all jovial "can I just have a word with you?" like the dude hadn't just up and killed the bride, and got himself shot. It shouldn't have been funny, but it was. 

Also, hearing Hope say "holy shit" was really weird.

I don't know if I blinked and missed a scene, but one minute John and Steve were walking into the ballroom at the gala, and the next they were walking into a different room where Marlena and Kayla were (where did they come from?), like they were expecting to see them. Marlena and Kayla should've suspected something was up the way John and Steve were acting.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it now, lol.

The aging in Heaven thing was perplexing to me also. There’s already lots of problems with the concept of “heaven”. Can you Imagine adding aging to it? 
Has Peter Reckell always been this bad of an actor? I never noticed before but..wow. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, SouthernChick said:

I loved Ciara breathing down Hope’s neck. Her calling the excuses Hope was making “bullshit” was the icing on the cake!

Actually, I think I need to hear all of Salem telling the rape victim that her championing and marrying a man who murdered a bunch of women is also bullshit.

Ben is trash, Ciara should know better and her constant smugness is almost hilarious. What has she even done in her life? Besides reenact her parents' storyline? It's like Cin is supposed to be good because it's Bope 2.0 or something. They honeymooned in New Orleans too! They're going off on a boat adventure too!

Oh shut up.

Newsflash Ciara - I've kept away from the show in part because of you. Hope ain't the only one!

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, SouthernChick said:

I loved Ciara breathing down Hope’s neck. Her calling the excuses Hope was making “bullshit” was the icing on the cake!

I'm with you on this. Ciara had every right to rip into Hope - who actually had the nerve to spout about how much family means to her (Hope) and how much she loves her family/kids  - - - yet wasn't there for them when they needed her  - - - because Hope needed to "find herself"!  Are you effing kidding me?!  That's the excuse Hope was going for before she finally told the truth (prism, Harris, blah blah blah) that actually made sense why she wasn't there for all the hell her kids have gone through?! 

• Love 1

I'm not bothered by Ciara being mad at Hope I'm bothered that Ciara is the only one who's allowed to have this reaction. I would've liked to have heard from Shawn(who seems to be ignored along with Claire apparently) as well as Julie who would've been mad at her not being there for Doug.

• Love 4