Type keyword(s) to search

Bridgerton In Media: Bodice Ripped From the Headlines

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, MissL said:

Well. Considering I fast forward through most of Penelope and Colin this is going to be a quick watch for me. If I even bother. I watched the first look footage. Are people really clamoring to see this or is it all PR? I can’t get a feel for the general opinion around them being the next couple. I actually would have liked to see Benedict. In 2 seasons I’ve seen no chemistry with Pen and Colin and I’m usually very easy when it comes to friends to lovers trope. Especially when it’s the girl with the crush. I may identify a little heavily with that kind of situation…..

Pen/Colin seems to be a favorite among book readers. They have their fans.

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as you and finding it hard to dig up any excitement for Colin and Penelope and their story next season. I feel like I have been overexposed to them at this point. Nothing new and novel about characters and show (season one) or an exciting new dynamic (Anthony/Kate) to look forward to. Colin is boring. Penelope is an all-round terrible friend profiting off gossip that includes her best friend and the man she loves.  The Pen/Colin story arc we look to be getting seems to be another version of Daphne/Simon with Colin trying to get Pen a husband.

Additionally not a fan of the jealousy trope at all. I didn't like it when Pen was throwing angry looks at Colin whenever he was talking to another woman and I am not going to like it when Colin does the same next season.

I am going to watch next season mainly for the Kate/Anthony crumbs, the older ladies - Violet, Lady Danbury, Portia - being delightful, Benedict making faces in the background and hopefully Francesca ushering in new story arcs and fun new character dynamics.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I watched the first season without ever getting into the main couple, but there were side characters and stories that I really enjoyed. While I definitely would have preferred Benedict to head S3 and I'm not very invested in show Colin and Pen, I'm fine with checking how everyone else is doing. And hey, maybe they'll win me over. 🤷

• Like 2
  • Love 4

My feeling is that it is literally impossible to say that there will be nothing compelling about their story until we actually see it, so there is no point in speculating. As we saw with Anthony, we get a much fuller sense of the character when he was focus and I suspect that is also going to be the case with Colin (though, to be fair, we do already have a strong sense of Penelope as a character).

• Like 3
  • Love 8

Bridgerton season 3 is receiving re-writes after bosses thought that some of the storylines had gone ‘too dark’.
‘We have been told that it needs the fun back so there are changes, which of course means delays. There are some elements that Shonda is just not happy with so wants to change them. Some of it got very dark.’

Last year actress Simone Ashley, who portrays Kate Sharma, told how she was ‘very happy when reading the scripts. When I receive them, I’ve got a beaming smile on my face’.

She also said that the third series is about to get ‘super steamy’ and added that it would be ‘condensation central’.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11589281/Third-season-Bridgerton-plunged-chaos-bosses-axe-dark-storyline.html?ico=topics_pagination_desktop

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Besides the fact that it's from the Daily Fail, that seems like a non-story. Re-writes during production doesn't seem unusual. 

When is Season 3 expected to be released? They must be almost done with filming. Summer 2023?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, anamika said:

Very likely Daphne is not around in season 3

I'm not really surprised but I am sad. I like seeing the family together and I like Daphne. She's not close with Penelope or Colin. She really wouldn't have much to do.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm not really surprised but I am sad. I like seeing the family together and I like Daphne. She's not close with Penelope or Colin. She really wouldn't have much to do.

I don't there is going to be much of Kate or Anthony either. It's already going to be crowded with Colin/Pen, Francesca's story of possibly meeting and marrying her husband and set up for either Benedict (meeting Sophie) or Eloise.

So yeah, no Daphne to be expected. And without Simon and no recasting, her popping up without her hubby and Anthony's good friend is not going to look good either.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, anamika said:

I don't there is going to be much of Kate or Anthony either. It's already going to be crowded with Colin/Pen, Francesca's story of possibly meeting and marrying her husband and set up for either Benedict (meeting Sophie) or Eloise.

So yeah, no Daphne to be expected. And without Simon and no recasting, her popping up without her hubby and Anthony's good friend is not going to look good either.

It's one of a downside of TV series. There's not a lot for other characters/actors to do because each season it's about the main couple. Benedick's gotten a couple stories but the rest of them just don't really do anything. It's weird for a series. They should be doing something. The brothers aren't really shown to do anything. Same with the sisters. Penelope's sister doesn't do anything and it really hasn't been important that Francesca hasn't been around. It's easier for a book they can show up when ever needed.  

• Like 2
13 hours ago, anamika said:

I think we will see a lot of them this season, but probably not next.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/phoebe-dynevor-exits-bridgerton-season-3-netflix-1235506536/

“Well I did my two seasons,” Dynevor recently told Variety when asked about her “Bridgerton” future. “I’ve done what I wanted to do with that character and she had a great arc. If they ask me back in the future, who knows?”

Makes me think that its quite possible that we won't get Kate after s3. 

It could like their signed on through their story arc, plus one season and thats it

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

Journalists when Phoebe Dynevor is like 50 and holding an Oscar: " Do you think the Duke will be back on Bridgerton?"  🤦‍♀️

Also this show is poorly planned. It's called Bridgerton and yet 50% is about the Featheringtons and Lady Whistledown. It's written more like an Anthology for each couple which then makes it weird for the missing siblings in future siblings' love stories.

Considering it's been renewed for 4 seasons, I wonder if they will simply start combining characters and couples for season 4 and 5 and be done with it. I honestly can't see many of these actors being back in the seasons for the two youngest siblings.

Edited by anamika
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, anamika said:

I honestly can't see many of these actors being back in the seasons for the two youngest siblings.

Eh, if they use up all the sibling romance stories, maybe Phoebe Dynevor comes back as a tragically widowed Daphne, still lovely, but more importantly, with wealth that would attract a lot of scoundrels along with The One True Prince.

• Like 3
On 1/31/2023 at 2:23 AM, andromeda331 said:

That stinks but I'm not surprised. I figured it would get harder and harder to keep everyone still on the show after their romance arc is done. 

Agreed. Unfortunately they’ve not done a good job introducing and getting the audience engaged with the minor Bridgertons whose story arcs are expected in the next couple of seasons. As someone else said there’s been too much focus on Lady Whistledown and the Featheringtons. But hopefully they’ll start to fall off after this season. I think the writers need to start to pivot towards other characters whom they have planned future story arcs to keep the audience interested.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I thought it was dropping December 14??? 😭 (Looking upthread)

That was a rumor from months ago. There is zero chance it would be dropping two days from now without even a trailer or anything at all having been released.

• Sad 1

Just heard the news. There's a plot synopsis/summary here and details on new cast members.

https://www.shondaland.com/inspire/shondaland-bridgerton-behind-the-scenes/a46095958/bridgerton-season-3-premiere-date/

So, eager to win back her friendship, Colin comes up with a brilliant plan to help mentor Penelope in the ways of confidence as an aid in her search for a husband this season. But when Colin’s bravado comes out to play, it’s hard to put it away, and his lessons start working a little too well: Colin must grapple with whether his feelings for Penelope are truly just friendly.

The plot being so similar to season one means Luke Newton's character will be following in Rege-Jean Page's Simon's footsteps on the show.

I am hoping this goes more in the direction of a romcom than season one, less drama more comedy in terms of finding Penelope a partner - Nicola does comedy so well.

Edited by anamika
  • Like 4

Well, a gap of more than two years is a bit shit. I wonder what that's about as it can't be good for ratings. Plus, this is a show that's perfectly suited to Christmas viewing. Id much rather the show dropped in December than in June.

Hey, at least it hasn't been cancelled! But jesus, that's a very low bar for what I thought was Netflix's biggest ratings winner.

I wonder if Benedict and Eloise will each get their own season now, given the very slow pace. Maybe we'll get a combo season instead.

Edited by Kirsty
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Kirsty said:

Well, a gap of more than two years is a bit shit. I wonder what that's about as it can't be good for ratings. Plus, this is a show that's perfectly suited to Christmas viewing. Id much rather the show dropped in December than in June.

Hey, at least it hasn't been cancelled! But jesus, that's a very low bar for what I thought was Netflix's biggest ratings winner.

I wonder if Benedict and Eloise will each get their own season now, given the very slow pace. Maybe we'll get a combo season instead.

With the current release schedule, we would get the final season in 2035. Yeah that's a big no.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I vote for stopping after Eloise, if we even get that far. They haven't established much interest in the three youngest, though it looks like Francesca will have more to do next season.

It just might work out that the seasons for the last 3 or 4 sibs will have a different set of fans.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Given the major changes to Eloise's storyline, and the unfortunate fact that keeping Eloise's book romance would involve:

[spoilers for Eloise's book]

Spoiler

having Marina, a POC character, commit suicide after her actress, Ruby Barker, has been making the rounds stating that working on the first season of Bridgerton helped lead her to a mental breakdown, and noting that no one on Bridgerton offered her much support.

It's certainly possible to tweak this slightly for the show - have Marina die in some sort of accident that is absolutely positively not suicide and not related to mental illness whatsoever, presumably offscreen so that Barker doesn't have to return to the set. But given everything that happened in the first season, I still think this might not be a great approach.

I think I'd be ok with stopping after Benedict, who I'm assuming will be the season four story. 

• Like 2
On 1/28/2023 at 10:01 PM, andromeda331 said:

This makes me sad as well and the bolded makes me sadder. They really undermined Colin's role in the family.  They took much of his humor and playfulness and gave it to Benedict and then they just never bothered with his relationship with Daphne. In the books, at least in the early books through Colin's at least, the Bridgertons children were sort of born in close pairs, Anthony/Benedict, Colin/Daphne, Eloise/Francesca, Gregory/Hyacinth, and they are very close with their closest in age siblings. Since I never much cared for The Duke and I, Daphne's relationship with Colin was one of my favorite things about her.

I hope at least Anthony and Kate remain involved. I like both and, as head of the family, Anthony should be a presence. 

20 hours ago, quarks said:

Given the major changes to Eloise's storyline, and the unfortunate fact that keeping Eloise's book romance would involve:

[spoilers for Eloise's book]

I think I'd be ok with stopping after Benedict, who I'm assuming will be the season four story. 

Yeah,  I really don't want this story AT ALL after the changes they made in S1. Though it isn't necessary to use the same characters given how they changed the relationships, so they could do the same story and just have new characters.  That said, Eloise and Francesca's stories really separate them from their families (despite Eloise having one of the most fun exchanges with the brothers at one point). So I don't know that they would complement the way this series is structured anyhow. So stopping after Benedict is probably a good idea.

In any event, May feels very far away.  And splitting the season is just mean. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

The thing is, with Eloise, I've also seen a number of fans say, sometimes vehemently, that they want Eloise to end up with with her book love interest. Otherwise, what's the point?

And I don't think they're being unreasonable or wrong - indeed, if not for the changes/offscreen stuff, I'd agree with them. But those changes and offscreen stuff exist, so....let's end happily with Benedict, and maybe a hint of Francesca.

4 hours ago, RachelKM said:

And splitting the season is just mean. 

I'm guessing this is largely happening because of, cough, people like me, who picked up Netflix when Queen Charlotte arrived, and then promptly dropped it again just one month later. In my defense I just don't watch enough things on Netflix to justify paying for it monthly, but I can see why Netflix would prefer that I pay for at least two months, and this way might just convince me to do so.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I see Francesca is going to make her debut this season, as expected.

My thoughts about her costume are not entirely kind, but Hannah Dobbs looks gorgeous, and I like that the one picture of her already has a hint of Francesca's mysterious smile. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1