Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E23: Lee & Rena & Sarah

• Start Topic

Lee's anger issues continue to jeopardize his relationship with Rena and threaten to derail both of their weight loss journeys; and while a major life event sends Sarah into a depression, she must pull herself out of it if she wants to keep losing weight. 

This is a "Where Are They Now?" episode featuring Lee and Rena; Lee is an abuser who, according to Rena, only hits her occasionally. Our best hope is she gets far, far away from him.  

At the start of her "journey" (S06.E12), Sarah was 24; she survived a very abusive childhood. Best noted for her hair changes when she moved to Houston (she is a kindred spirit with PrincessPurrsALot of the suddenly curly hair), Sarah had one of the more sleep-inducing episodes. 

This is the regular episode thread.  It will open after the US East Coast showing.  

10 minutes ago, rlc said:

Every one of Dr Now’s patients should be required to meet with a therapist, a nutritionist, and receive sex-ed lessons since so many of them seem to get knocked up as soon as they date for the first time in their lives. 

Is there a GoFundMe for Renee, because I’d happily donate to help her continue her ‘journey’. It’s completely f’ed up that Lee can continue and she can’t.

Proud of Sarah.

Rena definitely deserves some help. Lee should have been kicked out of the program. I hope Sarah's beautiful hair grows back soon.

• Love 23
Just now, Gbb said:

That was an infuriating episode. Lee did not deserve half of a “where are they now?” As soon as Rena kicked him out, they should have switched to her. 

This was very confusing.  There had to something more. 

Good for Sarah.  But she will either have to move back to Houston, or find another resource to get her skin surgery. Without an obvious support system, she really is quite alone.

• Love 6

Zackery and Daquaray. That's all I got. Lee's a hopeless delusional jerk. I wonder why Dr. Now didn't kick Lee out of the program and let Rena have the skin removal? 

Sarah looks like an entirely different person. Hope she gets the skin surgery and that her hair grows back. Looks like she and Lola have the same visually impaired wig fitter.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

I think this is the guy who in his initial episode asked his wife for a bedtime "snack" and she made a full box of mac and cheese for him with a large fried chicken breast on top. I had to chew a few Tums just to watch that scene.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, cork dork said:

I’m hopeful that Rena’s complete disappearance mid-show has something to do with paperwork necessitating  Lee stays far FAR away from her. 

Similarly, if Dr. Now was advised on the extent of the violence she experienced courtesy of Joe, including the frying pan nonsense, it seems probable he’d continue working with her privately off-camera. 

Otherwise, I don’t know that I buy what Lee was selling about having spoken with Rena. It’s not like he’s a beacon of truth or integrity, so his “update” where he said she rang him back could’ve been more of his manipulative bullshit. I mean, if she were to have an order of protection against him, intentional contact (including phone conversations) can be and often is cause for revocation; so yeah, I can see that wheezing pile of rancid smegma telling a whopper or two because gaslighting seems to be part of his repertoire. 

I totally agree. 

I sincerely hope that Dr.Now and Lola and producers  got Rena to a safe house and therapy, and that Dr. NOw is working with Rena privately and she did get skin removal surgery. I pray that her privacy stays private.  I, too, call    B .S. on Lee saying she called him.  Another manipulation to put the onus of responsibility on Rena. 

Wouldn't Lola have to report an assault such as the frying pan "accident" (snort B.S).? 

I bet the producers made a plea deal with Lee to stay on the show. 

Lee is a nightmare.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 17

Oh, Lord, I hope it's true that Rena's safely away from Lee and has continued to receive medical care.

I was growling at the TV when Lee said that he had invited Rena to come back "for the [his skin] surgery." Like, he's invited her to a fucking party or something, instead of to wait on his disgusting ass hand and foot. What a self-absorbed short-tempered immature abusive selfish jerkwad he is. 

I wouldn't have been able sit and watch this episode which was so full of loathsome Lee. So it's just as well that I was packing for a trip, so I was in and out of the room while the show was on.

I picked up enough of it to see Lee get nasty about (and to) Dr. Now more than once - even early on. I assume that Dr. Now didn't fire him as a patient over that because (1) he knew Lee was losing his temper out of fear and frustration, and it was part of the knot of medical issues Dr. Now was trying to treat, and (2) he's a dedicated professional and committed to saving life, including hair-trigger Lee's. As much as I like to believe in personal growth and redemption, I think it would take more than a couple of sessions with Lola for Lee to change his hot-headed abusive ways. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

Disclaimer: I missed the first half of this episode because our power was out.

Lee:  I don't think he's really changed.  His saying "I'll jump through whatever hoops Dr. Now wants me to to get skin removal" was very telling.  He also had this weird smirk on his face the whole time he was talking to Lola (maybe that's just his natural expression?)  I got the impression that he was just saying what he thought people wanted to hear.  

Sarah: She's an amazing success, but I still thought she seemed sad at the end.  She seemed to be hiding behind her wig.  I hope she can continue to grow and move forward in life.  I wish her the best; she really does look amazing.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

I sincerely hope that Dr.Now and Lola and producers  got Rena to a safe house and therapy, and that Dr. NOw is working with Rena privately and she did get skin removal surgery. I pray that her privacy stays private.  I, too, call    B .S. on Lee saying she called him.  Another manipulation to put the onus of responsibility on Rena. 

I am definitely hoping she got to a safe haven house and has a protective order against him. I was aghast last night when he said she had called and talked with him.  I was so relieved that she didn't show up to join him at that bar/restaurant where he says he now has friends in Houston.

I am unsure if she ever got back from Houston (Missouri) to Houston (Texas) after the trip to see his family.

I had it on last night, but I was also doing stuff in the kitchen and live-chatting so there are scenes I missed.

I get that Dr Now still wants to help Lee with his weight issues, and he wants him in therapy.  I think his work with Lee should be behind the scenes.   Maybe just a blurb at the end with his weigh loss, if any.  Lee is definitely a cautionary tale about stretching the stomach after wls.

I hope Sarah has great success in her life and that she gets the surgery for her loose skin.  I was thrilled that she was smart enough to buy a regular scale to track her weight.   They should all get scales--especially now that ones that go up to 500-700 pounds are now available at reasonable prices.   It would certainly help the patients know if they are making "good progress" or are still in denial/delusion about it. 

• Love 10

Wouldn't Lola have to report an assault such as the frying pan "accident" (snort B.S).? 

No. She is a mandated reporter for child abuse but violence between adults is not something she is required to report. In fact, confidentiality probably prohibits her from reporting it. 

What you might be thinking of is a Tarasoff letter. A therapist can (and should) notify someone who has been specifically and credibly threatened by a patient/client (e.g. a client reports that he is going to murder his wife). But this doesn't apply here since it's past victimization of which the victim (clearly) was aware.

• Useful 4

Sarah looked great, but my goodness, she seemed SO sad. Hopefully skin removal will help, but somehow I feel like there's so much more going on there.  

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I missed a portion of the show, when did Sarah get pregnant? I thought she was only on a dating app?

Never watch this show just glued to the TV, but I do think that they really glossed over her pregnancy. In fact, I think she talked about a dating app and then the next second said she'd had a miscarriage. Really hope she continues with counseling, she seems like a very sweet soul.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Sarah mentioned that she was dating and then she got pregnant.  It was an unplanned pregnancy so we was struggling with her feelings about it.  After she decided she wanted to have the baby, she miscarried.  The initial announcement was said during the Sarah sits on the couch and is clearly depressed scene.  However, given that our brains were filled with (non-violent) rage at Lee, it's hard to keep up with other parts of the show. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Oh, Lord, I hope it's true that Rena's safely away from Lee and has continued to receive medical care.

I was growling at the TV when Lee said that he had invited Rena to come back "for the [his skin] surgery." Like, he's invited her to a fucking party or something, instead of to wait on his disgusting ass hand and foot. What a self-absorbed short-tempered immature abusive selfish jerkwad he is. 

I wouldn't have been able sit and watch this episode which was so full of loathsome Lee. So it's just as well that I was packing for a trip, so I was in and out of the room while the show was on.

I picked up enough of it to see Lee get nasty about (and to) Dr. Now more than once - even early on. I assume that Dr. Now didn't fire him as a patient over that because (1) he knew Lee was losing his temper out of fear and frustration, and it was part of the knot of medical issues Dr. Now was trying to treat, and (2) he's a dedicated professional and committed to saving life, including hair-trigger Lee's. As much as I like to believe in personal growth and redemption, I think it would take more than a couple of sessions with Lola for Lee to change his hot-headed abusive ways. 

Well Jeeves at least I know that I wasn't alone in finding Lee to be unwatchable. You were being productive and packing for a trip; I actually mentally checked out and stopped posting a little past the first hour of the show. I just couldn't watch another minute of that asshole so, YIKES, I guess I'll have to watch the second hour of the repeat next week. There was just something about the first hour that made it feel like four or five hours to me and I just couldn't take it and fell asleep! 😮

You just know that a poundticipant has to be an epic jerk for me to miss hanging out with my Pounder Pals. ☺

Please tell me that Rena left him and stayed away.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Rena left him and was not seen on the episode again.  

Thank you so much for this PrincessPurrsALot.

I feel like forming a prayer group for her to keep progessing and NOT let that creep back into her life; from my lips to God's ears.

I am completely enraged that she was dropped from Dr. Now's program because she left her abuser but Lee was allowed to continue. Didn't Dr. Now/TLC know that he had abused her both mentally and physically? Did I get that right? Could there possibly be any other logical explanation?

• Love 6

I see ... it was Rena’s fault she walked into Lee’s frying pan. 

“I’m going to do as little as possible” is probably the most honest thing Lee has said. The subtext of every comment he makes is “I’m a selfish childish asshole.”

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, 88Keys said:

Sarah: She's an amazing success, but I still thought she seemed sad at the end.  She seemed to be hiding behind her wig.  I hope she can continue to grow and move forward in life.  I wish her the best; she really does look amazing.

I agree, she seemed so sad. But I also suspect that final appointment with Dr. Now was just for the cameras. Maybe she was just totally annoyed at having to go up there for basically nothing. 

She has done a great job. Wishing her lots of continued success!

• Love 8

So this is interesting and potentially very depressing. Popculture.com says that Rena posted this to her FB page in "late May":

"Wow once a cheater always a cheater, guess one day I will learn, good riddens (sic) to excess baggage!!" ...  "Maybe I can finally be me now," the post added, according to a screenshot from Starcasm. Her current status also says that she's "single."

They got the info from this article in Starcasm which says a few days later Lee posted he was in a new relationship:

My-600-Lb-Life-Lee-and-Rena-split-6.jpg

All of this would have happened well after the episode was filmed.  So.... I had to go check their FB pages. Rena's still says she's single. I don't see the breakup post but that may be because she only shared it with friends.

So here's the heartbreaker. 9 hours ago, Lee posted this status update:

ss.jpg.f25c44eda905f914ccc4a9628e1208f3.jpg

I can only hope he's lying to save face but I'm kind of afraid he isn't 😞

(edited)

Did Rena come back from Missouri?   Or stay there?  I suspect that if she found someone to come back and stay with her long term in Houston, that she would be welcomed back to the program.     As long as they're trying, and making progress, I bet Dr. Now would want her to come back.  

It's too bad that that Rena and Sarah couldn't  become roommates, and see each other through their skin surgeries.     They're both so nice, and could have support from another person who knows exactly what they're going through.   

Ironically, Rena's in Houston either way, because the town they listed as their hometown on the show is Houston, Missouri.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

I too was concerned about Sarah's subdued, melancholy nature which she  carried after her miscarriage. She made such strides in becoming more independent and in her weight loss. I really feel for her and hope she can get through the depression.

Her  comments acknowledged the dichotomy of both the sense of accomplishment and the sense that she was having difficulty moving forward with her life, but was wanting that to happen.  Hang in there Sarah. Wishing her good things to come in her life. 

Edited by Scratches19
  • Love 10
25 minutes ago, Gbb said:

So this is interesting and potentially very depressing. Popculture.com says that Rena posted this to her FB page in "late May":

They got the info from this article in Starcasm which says a few days later Lee posted he was in a new relationship:

All of this would have happened well after the episode was filmed.  So.... I had to go check their FB pages. Rena's still says she's single. I don't see the breakup post but that may be because she only shared it with friends.

a warning song for Lee ...Cell block tango

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Scratches19 said:

I too was concerned about Sarah's subdued, melancholy nature which she  carried after her miscarriage. She made such strides in becoming more independent and in her weight loss. I really feel for her and hope she can get through the depression.

Her  comments acknowledged the dichotomy of both the sense of accomplishment and the sense that she was having difficulty moving forward with her life, but was wanting that to happen.  Hang in there Sarah. Wishing her good things to come in her life. 

Sarah if i recall her story,her mother was a drug addict and very  neglectful ,Sarah had more than weigh loss to deal with, I think she is one of Dr,Now's best patients .. she is one of the very few that wears support garments to help with lose skin.. I think she is going to be fine ....

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

I read this as "bacon of truth". Tomato, Tomahto.

If it was bacon of truth, Lee would eat it. With the tomato and the tomahto.

Now I want a BLT...

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Gbb said:

He's not. It's amazing how these men manage to get girlfriends.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Did Rena come back from Missouri?   Or stay there?  I suspect that if she found someone to come back and stay with her long term in Houston, that she would be welcomed back to the program.     As long as they're trying, and making progress, I bet Dr. Now would want her to come back.  

I was so angry that the only update we got on Rena after she split with Lee was Lee saying that she couldn't continue in the program without him. I don't know that it was a Dr. Now decision - I thought it was that she couldn't afford the apartment and didn't have anyone who would move there to care for her after skin surgery (presumably Lee was supposed to do that). But why didn't the show just put up some text to explain what happened? 

The only thing that would make me feel better about it would be if Rena had asked not to be included in the show after the split. I suppose it's possible that she had enough and just wanted to be left alone. 

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I was so angry that the only update we got on Rena after she split with Lee was Lee saying that she couldn't continue in the program without him. I don't know that it was a Dr. Now decision - I thought it was that she couldn't afford the apartment and didn't have anyone who would move there to care for her after skin surgery (presumably Lee was supposed to do that). But why didn't the show just put up some text to explain what happened? 

The only thing that would make me feel better about it would be if Rena had asked not to be included in the show after the split. I suppose it's possible that she had enough and just wanted to be left alone. 

One thing that's making me feel better about all of this is Rena's FB page, where she has several fairly recent photos that look like her weight loss is still on track, plus a couple of posts about her uncle's new Keto Zone businesses, which make me think her family may be supporting her and/or getting into a low-protein lifestyle. 

BTW, I have no idea why I feel so invested in Rena right now beyond my blinding hatred for the semi-sentient beanbag (TM someone funny in the live thread).

Edited by Gbb
clarity
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, 88Keys said:

I got the impression that he was just saying what he thought people wanted to hear. 

He would also fervently apologize after the abuse or outburst with no real intention of changing. He's pond scum.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Lee [after gaining even more weight instead of losing it]: I'm not happy I came all the way down here to get chewed out for no reason.

Me: Yes, it's a total mystery why Dr. Now, A BARIATRIC SURGEON, would chew you out for GAINING WEIGHT after having weight loss surgery. AGAIN. If only everyone would stop persecuting poor, innocent Lee! He tries so hard!

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Gbb said:

I went to Lee's FB page and, I am going to have to assume for the sake of my own sanity, that he's scrubbing the negative comments off the pic he posted of himself and Rena because the ones I read are all along the lines of, "You two were meant to be!" and "Congratulations to you both!" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Did these people not hear him admit that Rena "walked into the frying pan" he just so happened to be swinging around his house? 

And in between beating up Rena he somehow bagged himself a woman who was married? Who is her husband? The corpse of Charles Manson? 

Lee is the shitstain on Janine's scooter made human. 

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

He's not. It's amazing how these men manage to get girlfriends.

Men like that can smell low self esteem like it was a plate of cheese fries and bacon crumbles.  

This show (and other reality tv) has opened my eyes to how damaging that can be. Often it's women, although sometimes men. Is this our culture/society at play here? 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Lee is the shitstain on Janine's scooter made human. 

yes !

Lee looks like a woman, much like that Joe person.  In fact they look like sisters.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I remember hating Lee on the first show with him & Rena, and now I hate that fucker more. I wish Rena and Sarah the best.  Lee is still a sorry example of a human being.  I wish Dr. Now had told him to fuck off.  

• Love 18
27 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Lee is still a sorry example of a human being.  I wish Dr. Now had told him to fuck off.  

An example of why Dr. Now is a better person than I.

Although I do hope that he's continued to help Rena. She's definitely earned the support and assistance.

• Love 6