Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: The Iron Throne

Message added by Athena

No Book Talk. AT ALL.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I want to know who repaired that castle. Obviously smart, skilled people from all over the place are coming in to help. Which makes it particular sad that they still can't fill the small council. Since apparently the primary requirement for that job is to be friends with one of the Starks, or at least friends with one of their friends. Sansa has way too much political power. It's like if the Republic of Texas was allowed to choose the leaders of Mexico.

And  Tyrion puts Bronn in charge of the treasury? Really? There's not a single normal, competent bean-counter anywhere in the six kingdoms? What, did they give them all to Sansa to figure out how to pay for her wardrobe?

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Butless said:

The people of Westros just watched their own Westrosi NORTHERN ARMY go on a killing/rape spree. Jon didn't pull a "brown" person off a woman who was about to be murdered/raped. He pulled one of his OWN men off.  Jon was directly responsible for all the murder and mayhem, because he enthusiastically backed and enabled Dany. In any other world, he'd be hanged for a war criminal.

As I said, when the outcome of your story is to write that 'all the "brown" people get on a boat and fuck off to an island,' then your story is racist.

I don’t understand this. Are you saying that a general who is in charge of an army in which a few of its enlisted men commit crimes should be hanged as a war criminal because of those men’s crimes? Or, that Jon should be hanged because the ally he and his troops supported, committed war crimes that he did not know about in advance? 

Jon didn’t enable Dany to  commit war crimes. He tried to stop Grey Worm from executing the surrendered Lannister soldiers. Dany’s heel turn was a shock to everyone and Jon dispensed “justice” on the Northern soldier who was raping the woman.  He ultimately committed murder to prevent further war crimes.

I don’t disagree about how the “brown” people are treated in GoT by the writers, although I in this case took it more as, they weren’t happy hanging around in racist Westeros and wanted to complete Dany’s mission somewhere else. 

Edited by MarySNJ
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

Why does the three eye Ravens care about the north?  And how is he going to convince the council of the kingdom that he is the 3ER, just not in brans body.  

I mean, if he didn't give up the crown it would basically make Tyrion a liar and his speech nonsensical. 

I think the other kingdoms would have a problem having been promised the chance to vote for a ruler once bran is dead and then getting more three eye ravens rule because of a loophole.

No one asked a question at the pit meeting when Tyrion said 3ER which was bonkers. They've clearly all watched the show or are just well versed in the Old Gods and Children of the Forest and know what it means. /s

The 3ER doesn't care as long as Westeros is ruled by the Children in some form or another. The Starks have Children blood. Sansa has the North, Jon has beyond the wall and the rest of Westeros is controlled by the 3ER, every corner of Westeros is back in the hands of the Children. And the 3ER will have decades to fix the rules of succession. The Kingdoms might just get to vote on whose body the 3ER inhabits next. Push comes to shove (and more likely), 3ER will get everyone killed who remembers the deal they made about voting for a ruler. Same way 3ER got all the claimants to the throne killed in order to become King.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

The real miracle is that Grey Worm didn't execute Jon on the spot. 

I like what someone else said (not that we'll ever know) -- that Jon went to Davos and confessed, and Jon was held behind the northern lines for a day or so while things were negotiated with Greyworm at which point he was transferred to the Red Keep prison until a king was chosen.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

History is written by the victors; and Dany and her army major role win the Battle of Winterfell will forever be tarnished by the murder of children in King's Landing. Also, Arya Stark, youngest daughter of Ned Stark, a girl from the very family  ruling the North for a thousand years, killed the Night King. 

I'm pretty sure people will be more than happy to "ignore" the foreigners lead by a queen that burned thousands of civillians with her dragons. 

Also, with respect to the other 7 kingdoms, there was no help from the other 7 kingdoms except for Theon and what, 15 other Ironborn?  So yes, the North was helped by foreigners, but they weren't helped by the other six kingdoms.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Julyolo said:

Sorry to go graphic here, but since Sansa alluded nothing functioned below Bran's waistband, who is gonna manage his bladder and bowel incontinence issues? Guess he really will need a Hand!!! Hope he eats like a bird. Why didn't Tyrion just dub him "Bran the Bird-brained" and be done with it?

Well as Jaime told Ned when he arrived at KL, "The King shits and the Hand wipes."  

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Besides the aforenamed (and memorably named) Grayworm, do we know the name of a single other Unsullied?  Could there have been unsullied who had another thought about their trip to Westeros?  They may have all trained to react the same, but cutting off their good china (a Project Runway phrase) didn't necessarily lead to group think.

And the Dothraki:  what about their women left behind?  Do we know the name of any Dothraki lieutenants?  Or just dead Dothraki?

One Unsullied is named Grey Worm.  The others and all the Dothraki are all named "Red Shirt".

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, RealReality said:

And he could have been like "I tried to stop drogon....you see that pool of blood?  I totally stabbed him with this fancy valaryian steel before he took off.  I'm not saying I'm a hero or anything, but if you wanted to make me king, I'd be okay with that"

Great point.  How would anyone other than Jon know what happened to Dany, after Drogon carried her off.  For all they knew she was still alive and flew off on Drogon, or Drogon killed her.  

• Love 1

Tyrion didn't exactly have a great reputation before, see being called a "demon monkey" when he served as Joffrey's Hand and the Braavosi play of the Game of Thrones.
I'm not sure how well his appointment as Bran's Hand would go over with the populace now that he's also served as Hand of the Queen that torched the city.  Some of that would stick on him.
For that matter, I would think anyone associated with Daenerys, such as Jon, would take a huge popularity hit.  In retrospect, it's one of the few reasons I can think of for Daenerys to torch the city, though that doesn't appear to be the case.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Smad said:

No one asked a question at the pit meeting when Tyrion said 3ER which was bonkers. They've clearly all watched the show or are just well versed in the Old Gods and Children of the Forest and know what it means. /s

The 3ER doesn't care as long as Westeros is ruled by the Children in some form or another. The Starks have Children blood. Sansa has the North, Jon has beyond the wall and the rest of Westeros is controlled by the 3ER, every corner of Westeros is back in the hands of the Children. And the 3ER will have decades to fix the rules of succession. The Kingdoms might just get to vote on whose body the 3ER inhabits next. Push comes to shove (and more likely), 3ER will get everyone killed who remembers the deal they made about voting for a ruler. Same way 3ER got all the claimants to the throne killed in order to become King.

I don't know, what's the point of ever voting on a leader if you're always going to get the same guy?  

I can truly say I don't remember, but who else has this blood?  Bran apparently can't have kids....Sansa can, but no other kingdoms should ever agree that her child can hold the IT when the north isn't even part of the kingdoms.  Jon can have a child that could rule.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Tyrion didn't exactly have a great reputation before, see being called a "demon monkey" when he served as Joffrey's Hand and the Braavosi play of the Game of Thrones.
I'm not sure how well his appointment as Bran's Hand would go over with the populace now that he's also served as Hand of the Queen that torched the city.  Some of that would stick on him.
For that matter, I would think anyone associated with Daenerys, such as Jon, would take a huge popularity hit.  In retrospect, it's one of the few reasons I can think of for Daenerys to torch the city, though that doesn't appear to be the case.

Yeah, I don't really see how Tyrion would be respected by the Lords or the masses.  I guess they could spin him as a patriot who killed the evil Twyin, and he could take credit for killing the evil tyrant Joffrey, since he was convicted of it, and everyone thinks he did,

But, Jaime was derided as "Kingslayer" for killing the even more evil Aerys.  

The writers really screwed upon Season 8, especially the last 3 episodes.   Nothing really makes any sense. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Yeah, I don't really see how Tyrion would be respected by the Lords or the masses. 

He was Dany's freaking hand and the Lords/Ladies know this. And he didn't stop her from destroying KL. How could they ever allow him to basically be the ruler of the 6 Kingdoms now (since Bran peaces out constantly it's Tyrion who rules)? It makes no freaking sense. Any of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 5/21/2019 at 9:17 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

Also, why the hell was Bronn on the small council? So the last we see of Bronn before two minutes to go making jokes about brothels in the middle of a meeting about how to rebuild a city under a completely new style of government, he was literally threatening to kill Tyrion and Jaime.

Tyrion gave Bronn High Garden, the wealthiest part of the six kingdoms (actual, wealthier than the North, too) now that the Westerlands (former Lannister land) has run out of gold.   They would need his food and wealth to support the crown and the kingdoms.   Back in the early seasons this sort of justification was used for placing people in positions of power including the small council.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Butless said:

The people of Westros just watched their own Westrosi NORTHERN ARMY go on a killing/rape spree. Jon didn't pull a "brown" person off a woman who was about to be murdered/raped. He pulled one of his OWN men off.  Jon was directly responsible for all the murder and mayhem, because he enthusiastically backed and enabled Dany. In any other world, he'd be hanged for a war criminal.

As I said, when the outcome of your story is to write that 'all the "brown" people get on a boat and fuck off to an island,' then your story is racist.

And sexist and mysgonistic.

And the woman with dragons is dead, and a white guy gets the throne.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Meera and Arya exploring Westerwesteros together would be a great spin off*

I'd love to learn more about the Crannogmen of the Neck.   Meera could teach Arya to hunt frogs and maybe a few poisons she didn't learn at the House of Black and White.  

*With competent writers.

I feel so cheated now that we never saw Meera and Arya together.  And Yara!  Yara should have been captain of Arya’s ship to Westerwesteros.

• Love 5
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Smad said:

He was Dany's freaking hand and the Lords/Ladies know this. And he didn't stop her from destroying KL. How could they ever allow him to basically be the ruler of the 6 Kingdoms now (since Bran peaces out constantly it's Tyrion who rules)? It makes no freaking sense. Any of it.

The entire council will be perceived as a joke by pretty much all nobles in Westeros. A Lannister dwarf who was already hated during his first stint as a Hand, was convicted of killing the king, then killed his father, then switched sides a few times, bringing disaster with him. Oh, and had the bright idea of a crippled King with no lands of his own and whose family seceded together with much of the kingdom. Then Bronn, a sellsword also tainted by his association with the previous Lannister regime, who is also grossly unqualified for his position and title. Then Davos, who is also lowborn and was a die-hard supporter of Stannis who wasn't exactly loved even before he burned his daughter. Then Sam, a known coward, oath bound to be a part of the Night Watch (which still exists for some reason). The Kingsguard commander is Brienne, a woman. If the plot armor is turned off, it will be downright miraculous if this regime lasts two months.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 13
19 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Tyrion gave Bronn High Garden, the wealthiest part of the six kingdoms (actual, wealthier than the North, too) now that the Westerlands (former Lannister land) has run out of gold.   They would need his food and wealth to support the crown and the kingdoms.   Back in the early seasons this sort of justification was used for placing people in positions of power including the small council.

I get that part, that that's what they did...I don't get why. Tyrion knows Bronn is only about Bronn's interests. Why place a person who'd threatened to kill you like ten days ago in show time apparently in such a powerful position? The Season 3, non-idiot Tyrion, I feel, would have just had Bronn killed and given that plum position to someone both deserving and a little more consistent and reliable, not to mention someone he could influence. Like, say, CItadel dropout Sam Tarly, who apparently lied on his resume about getting his chain, OR, the show forgot to illustrate a significant passage of time between Bran somehow being named king and that small council meeting. It felt like it was two days after Bran was named, because they didn't have two cabinet level positions filled yet, the docks were still in need of repair, but everyone seemed totally over the sack of the city and totally comfortable in new positions. 

Once again the show glossed over something that would have been really interesting to see (the aftermath of KL sack, Dany dying, dragon leaving, Jon's weird banishment, which they could have rescinded the minute Grey Worm got on his boat but I guess they were like "Yeah, we can get this sulky dude out of here") in favor of "That's the end! Time for Knights of the Old Republic!"

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Butless said:

My comment, that all the brown people were put on a ship and sailed off to an island, was not a comment on the competency of the Unsullied or Grey Worm.

It was a comment on how hamfisted, stupid, tone-deaf, and ultimately racist, the story was written to be by Benioff, Weiss, and possibly GRRM.

Except the Unsullied and Dothraki were not "put on a ship" and made to sail off.  The Unsullied and Dothraki got onto ships and left the pit of despair that is Westeros by their own accord, as free men. 

I don't know if the Dothraki are joining them, but we know Grey Worm was taking the Unsullied to do great things and help others who can't help themselves, fulfilling a promise to Missandei and continuing Daenerys' earlier legacy. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, Conotocarious said:

Well, clearly, the priority was to have a crucial scene of Tyrion arranging furniture .

And Tyrion walking. And walking, and walking a bit more.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Butless said:

The people of Westros just watched their own Westrosi NORTHERN ARMY go on a killing/rape spree. Jon didn't pull a "brown" person off a woman who was about to be murdered/raped. He pulled one of his OWN men off.  Jon was directly responsible for all the murder and mayhem, because he enthusiastically backed and enabled Dany. In any other world, he'd be hanged for a war criminal.

For years, Dany used people of color to fight her enemies, and increase her personal wealth and power. Was the story racist then, or only now that she died and Davos offered to make Grey Worm Lord of the Reach with the Unsullied as his bannermen? 

• Love 19
Just now, Bali said:

And Tyrion walking. And walking, and walking a bit more.

That's not fair. 

He also picked up a torch. 

And looked actively forlorn.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:46 PM, lmsweb said:

Sansa - I'm going to address this here, although I've seen it brought up in so many episode threads before. I see people raging at how she told the Hound that everything she went through shaped her into who she is today. As a member of the #MeToo group - this is so dead on point. OF COURSE being raped or sexually abused is going to change you. For some people, it breaks them for a while. For others, they grow past it. Everyone deals with it differently but the bottom line is that you can't NOT be changed by it. I honest to God feel a little flash of rage every time I see someone gripe and bitch about the writer's using rape to forward a woman's storyline. I cannot emphasize this enough - the percentage of women who have had their stories "changed" in the real world because of this is staggering. Seeing a woman on screen overcome this and go on to become a strong, independent woman gets a fist pump from me every single time.

I am SO glad that someone else said this. To me, when something awful happens, you have a choice- live as a victim or live as a survivor. Victims ring their hands and whimper about it the rest of their lives, using it as an excuse for everything. Survivors say, "That happened. I'm moving on." I see Sansa's speech as her way of saying, "I'm a survivor." Never- at any point prior did she ever say, "Gee golly. I hope I get to be married to a guy who will rape and torture me." But it happened. She learned from it, whether she wanted to or not. And now, she survives.

• Love 15
16 minutes ago, Bali said:

I am SO glad that someone else said this. To me, when something awful happens, you have a choice- live as a victim or live as a survivor. Victims ring their hands and whimper about it the rest of their lives, using it as an excuse for everything. Survivors say, "That happened. I'm moving on." I see Sansa's speech as her way of saying, "I'm a survivor." Never- at any point prior did she ever say, "Gee golly. I hope I get to be married to a guy who will rape and torture me." But it happened. She learned from it, whether she wanted to or not. And now, she survives.

For me, the problem was in her implication that she never would have become a strong person if she hadn’t been raped, and that the rape and abuse was necessary or she would have still been the little bird.

• Love 12
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

The entire council will be perceived as a joke by pretty much all nobles in Westeros. A Lannister dwarf who was already hated during his first stint as a Hand, was convicted of killing the kind, then killed his father, then switched sides a few times, bringing disaster with him. Oh, and had the bright idea of a crippled King with no lands of his own and whose family seceded together with much of the kingdom. Then Bronn, a sellsword also tainted by his association with the previous Lannister regime, who is also grossly unqualified for his position and title. Then Davos, who is also lowborn and was a die-hard supporter of Stannis who wasn't exactly loved even before he burned his daughter. Then Sam, a known coward, oath bound to be a part of the Night Watch (which still exists for some reason). The Kingsguard commander is Brienne, a woman. If the plot armor is turned off, it will be downright miraculous if this regime lasts two months.

Too bad LF isn't still alive on the council.  Tyrion, Brand and LF could be "The Imp, the Gimp and the Pimp."   It sounds like Bronn might take on the Pimp role.  

ETA: And Samwell is the Blimp.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5
On 5/20/2019 at 4:33 PM, Giselle said:

Bran the Storyteller is also Bran the Boring. 

Who would listen to him drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on in monotone?

I would..

• Useful 1

Upthread someone mention that Brienne's update to Jaime's entry in the Big Book of Kuhniggits was remarkably generous.
Among other things, she wrote
Lured the Unsullied into attacking Casterly Rock, sacrificing his childhood home in service to a greater strategy.
Outwitted the Targaryen forces to seize Highgarden.

That was also generous to Tyrion by not mentioning Tyrion was the one who wrote the losing battle plan.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Drogo said:

That's not fair. 

He also picked up a torch. 

And looked actively forlorn.

I loved Tyrion when he was smart, so his downfall was difficult for me. But as I look back on the Finale, I just keep picturing the movies where they go to a museum and the tour guide lady is twirling her hand over her head saying, "And we're walking. We're walking."

And as I've said many, many times, "I miss when Tyrion read and knew things."

• Love 6
9 hours ago, GraceK said:

Doesn’t that sound like a man afraid of a woman’s power???

seeing as she just used that power to burn down a major city (or at least a significant part of it) and slaughter innocents I'd say he's right to be fearful.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, izabella said:

I feel so cheated now that we never saw Meera and Arya together.  And Yara!  Yara should have been captain of Arya’s ship to Westerwesteros.

Why would the ruler of the Iron Islands sail off into the unknown?  Yara embraced the idea of ruling - she wouldn't give it up unless she was forced to.  And imagine the additional cries of outrage - yet another female ruler quite literally put on a boat for no good reason.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't think the Dothraki and Unsullied speak the same language.   

They must-- or they sure appeared to understand Dany's speech and reacted accordingly.

59 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Upthread someone mention that Brienne's update to Jaime's entry in the Big Book of Kuhniggits was remarkably generous.
Among other things, she wrote
Lured the Unsullied into attacking Casterly Rock, sacrificing his childhood home in service to a greater strategy.
Outwitted the Targaryen forces to seize Highgarden.

That was also generous to Tyrion by not mentioning Tyrion was the one who wrote the losing battle plan.

Where was "knighted the first woman," followed by "Banged same, said it was better than the queen's." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, taanja said:

They must-- or they sure appeared to understand Dany's speech and reacted accordingly.

But Mellisandre spoke Valyrian to Grey Worm (Valor Morghulis) but asked Jorah if he spoke the Dothraki language so he could translate.  According to the internet, the Unsullied speak an Astaopori dialect of Valyrian.  The Dothraki, obviously speak Dothraki.

Just more bad writing.   

19 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Why would the ruler of the Iron Islands sail off into the unknown?  Yara embraced the idea of ruling - she wouldn't give it up unless she was forced to.  And imagine the additional cries of outrage - yet another female ruler quite literally put on a boat for no good reason.

Well, I agree that since she is now Queen, she wouldn't leave.  But, other than that, I could see her wanting to find some new territory outside of the 7 Kingdoms to go raping and reaving. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Also, with respect to the other 7 kingdoms, there was no help from the other 7 kingdoms except for Theon and what, 15 other Ironborn?  So yes, the North was helped by foreigners, but they weren't helped by the other six kingdoms.

And the Knights of the Vale, who were there, too.

Dorne and Highgarden would have been there if Cersei hadn't killed all their leaders.

Presumably, the Riverlands would also have been there if Edmure Tully wasn't imprisoned.

There was no ruler of the Stormlands (until Gendry), so they couldn't have been there. And the Westerlands are Lannister country and Cersei controls the Crownlands.

So there really weren't any of the other kingdoms available to help unless Cersei agreed to it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, izabella said:

For me, the problem was in her implication that she never would have become a strong person if she hadn’t been raped, and that the rape and abuse was necessary or she would have still been the little bird.

To me, Sansa stopped being a little bird and turned into a raptor when she lied in defending Little Finger for pushing her blood kin, her BSC aunt through the moon door.

And then had that killer (intentional pun) black feathered dress for her entry down the Tara like stairway.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

To me, Sansa stopped being a little bird and turned into a raptor when she lied in defending Little Finger for pushing her blood kin, her BSC aunt through the moon door.

And then had that killer (intentional pun) black feathered dress for her entry down the Tara like stairway.  

And I wish that when Sansa and Sandor was speaking, she credited her change on all those people who influenced her -- from Joffrey to Cersei to Olenna and Margaery to Littlefinger to Ramsay -- and not the physical and sexual abuse she suffered. 

I agree with izabella. The writing had her credit her transformation to Ramsay "riding her rough" (which, seriously, Sandor?) rather than on being present, and taking in, all the game players and their methods and motivations. 

• Love 9
23 hours ago, Ottis said:

That has nothing to do with my point. I mean, none of the characters listening to her speech knows who Hitler is, either. The allusion to Hitler propaganda speeches/rallies was for the viewer, not the characters. The show created a setting that resembled something that existed IRL. My point was that it was no accident.

I really wish the argument over Dany would stop. Her descent into madness was hinted at in season one and shown throughout every season, and the show's mythology more than foreshadowed it. Her arc was the only one that actually made sense, and built on what was done before.  Now, did the shift go downhill fast this season? Sure, and so did everything else. But that's a pacing issue, not a story issue, for Dany. 

I saw nothing that reminded me of Hitler. It is only here that I have read anyone comparing the two. 

I also beg to differ. I never saw Dany being portrayed as descending into madness. Never. It came out of nowhere IMO.

• Love 4
(edited)
23 minutes ago, plurie said:

And the Knights of the Vale, who were there, too.

Dorne and Highgarden would have been there if Cersei hadn't killed all their leaders.

Presumably, the Riverlands would also have been there if Edmure Tully wasn't imprisoned.

There was no ruler of the Stormlands (until Gendry), so they couldn't have been there. And the Westerlands are Lannister country and Cersei controls the Crownlands.

So there really weren't any of the other kingdoms available to help unless Cersei agreed to it.

Was Edmure was still imprisoned?  He was being held prisoner at The Twins, when Arya killed Walder and then all the Frey men.  I assume either she or the women she left alive must have freed him, or he probably  would have starved to death in his cell.  

I guess they never said what became of the Twins after Arya killed all the Frey men.  When Arya ate rabbit with the Lannister soldiers they said they were there to keep the peace after some trouble at the Twins, so I guess it is possible that Lannsiter soldiers took the Twins and continued to hold Edmure prisoner.   

I'm glad they at least brought back Edmure in the Finale.  He almost ended up like Huell in the safe house. :)

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

And lifted a few strategically located bricks to uncover Jaime & Cersei's bodies

I wonder if Headey and Coster-Waldau got their full per episode salaries for appearing dead for a few seconds.  

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, taanja said:

25 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

But Mellisandre spoke Valyrian to Grey Worm (Valor Morghulis) but asked Jorah if he spoke the Dothraki language so he could translate.  According to the internet, the Unsullied speak an Astaopori dialect of Valyrian.  The Dothraki, obviously speak Dothraki.

Just more bad writing.   

First, she spoke to the Dothraki in Dothraki.  They all stopped moving and hollering and listened to her while the Unsullied stood still not knowing what the fuck was going on.

Then, she spoke to Grey Worm and the Unsullied in High Valyrian and the Unsullied started banging their spears while the Dothraki stood there not knowing what she was saying but knowing the general message (so they continued cheering and waving their arakhs.)

The whole time Jon and Tyrion stood there not knowing what she was saying in either language but exchanging glances that said "This doesn't sound so good."

The feedback from both groups lasted until Tyrion spoke the universal language of throwing his Hand pin down the steps.  Then they all shut up and waited for Toasted Imp.

The writing was lacking in many areas, but I can't say this was one of them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I wonder if Headey and Coster-Waldau got their full per episode salaries for appearing dead for a few seconds.  

Most likely. Their names were also on the title screen

• Love 2
(edited)
17 minutes ago, taanja said:

I saw nothing that reminded me of Hitler. It is only here that I have read anyone comparing the two.

If you ask me, the only way they could have made it more blatant if they had given her Hitler's mustache. She even found time to change into a black outfit before the speech, to make sure no viewer could miss her transformation into a mustache-twirling (metaphorically but it was a close call) villain.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I can't get over Bran becoming King in this way. They have known for years that he would be so why did they turn him into a creepy robot? It makes NO sense for the story they were telling.

If Bran is supposed to be a signal for positive change...how does that work with his persona (or lack thereof)? If you want to make the world better you have to care. Because wanting to make it better means you do care. But Bran has said several times that he doesn't care about anything, which would include not caring about humans. How does that make him different from the previous rulers? Robert Baratheon didn't care, Joffrey didn't care, Cersei didn't care and in the end even Dany didn't care. Bran showed for 2 Seasons that he is just as bad as those guys by sacrificing people to get a crown. He played the game of thrones just like everybody else. And here I thought they wanted to smash that. But this is a 'person' who cares about nothing, talks in pseudo-intelligent one liners, is creepy as hell, has the appeal of a pile of shit and is completely unapproachable for any human. And he got his crown by mass destruction, using everyone around him as a means to an end. He's LittleFinger with magical abilities.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Sansa's statement was just a riff on the Nietzsche quote, "What doesn't kill me makes me strong."  That's all she was saying.

What I wish she had said was, "If I had gone with you, you would have sold me back to my mother and I would have died with her and Robb at the Red Wedding."

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Drogo said:

First, she spoke to the Dothraki in Dothraki.  They all stopped moving and hollering and listened to her while the Unsullied stood still not knowing what the fuck was going on.

Then, she spoke to Grey Worm and the Unsullied in High Valyrian and the Unsullied started banging their spears while the Dothraki stood there not knowing what she was saying but knowing the general message (so they continued cheering and waving their arakhs.)

The whole time Jon and Tyrion stood there not knowing what she was saying in either language but exchanging glances that said "This doesn't sound so good."

The feedback from both groups lasted until Tyrion spoke the universal language of throwing his Hand pin down the steps.  Then they all shut up and waited for Toasted Imp.

The writing was lacking in many areas, but I can't say this was one of them.

OK, that makes sense.

Tyrion speaks Valyrian, but his Valryian is a bit nostril.   He probably understood enough to know how troubling it was.  But, I agree that though Jon probably didn't understand a word, he could also tell from her tone that it was not good.   

• Love 3
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What makes you say they've always been portrayed as big lumbering beasts? They've always shown a psychic connection to Dany. How else did Drogon even know she'd been killed? When Tyrion unchained two of the dragons in Mereen, didn't they both seem to understand what he was doing? They even lowered their heads so he could unlock their collars. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Drogon understood Dany better than anyone.

That's like my psychic connection with my cat. Doesn't mean my cat thinks with human logic.

Just like cats and dogs -- they "feel" connection with their owners but they certainly can not be assigned the thought process of human logic. Sorry. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Smad said:

He played the game of thrones just like everybody else.

Noooooooo, he never played the game. He was the perfect person because he had no ambition and no dog in the game. He simply knew he'd be asked.

There was no winning here. Only duty.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

If you ask me, the only way they could have made it more blatant if they had given her Hitler's mustache. She even found time to change into a black outfit before the speech, to make sure no viewer could miss her transformation into a mustache-twirling (metaphorically but it was a close call) villain.

I am pretty sure they were going for a Hitler feel, with the tone and the staging.  There was also the huge red and black banner behind her.   

I agree with the poster who earlier wrote that her character seemed more like a Communist revolutionary turned tyrant, than a Nazi.    

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

Also, why the hell was Bronn on the small council? So the last we see of Bronn before two minutes to go making jokes about brothels in the middle of a meeting about how to rebuild a city under a completely new style of government, he was literally threatening to kill Tyrion and Jaime. Qualifications aside, why the hell would Tyrion not take him out to end that threat forever? 

Just another character this program kept around for far too long. 

Because a Lannister always pays his debts. And Tyrion did promise High Garden to Bronn.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

I like the idea mostly because Yara seems like she’d enjoy Adventures with Arya and she knows how to captain a ship.  But also because the Iron Islands seem like crappy piles of rocks without any fun.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4