Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

Nancy Drew (2019)

‘Nancy Drew’: Scott Wolf Replacing Freddie Prinze Jr. In CW Drama Series

A day after the CW ordered its Nancy Drew pilot to series, comes word of a key casting change. Party of Five and Night Shift alum Scott Wolf will replace Freddie Prinze Jr. as Nancy’s dad, Carson Drew, in the drama series from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage’s Fake Empire and CBS TV Studios, Deadline has confirmed. The role was recast after the pilot.

That is a disappointment. I was looking forward to seeing Freddie Prinze Jr back on my screen. I've missed seeing him around. No disrespect to Scott Wolf either, but I just see Freddie as Carson more than him.

• Like 3

Freddie Prinze Jr and Scott Wolf are old enough to play Carson Drew???  Man...

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Is this going to  be a darker, more Veronica Mars-ish Nancy Drew with a season long mystery? I feel like that's how the CW would play it. I mean, I'm definitely in as long as it's not Emma Roberts' Nancy Drew. I'll definitely be searching for the Maggie Lawson and 1970s versions now that my interest is piqued. 

I don't like that anyone involved with gossip girls has their hands on this classic character.

• Like 2

Veronica Mars meets The Conjuring?  I'm into it.

11 hours ago, starri said:

Veronica Mars meets The Conjuring?  I'm into it.

Here I was thinking Riverdale meets Veronica Mars meets I Know What You Did Last Summer.

I did like some parts of it - Nancy breaking into the guy's house, her making her suspect list in a notebook instead of a giant murder board like so many fictional detectives do, the cop's annoyance with her, but the overall Riverdale vibe of "look at this dark and strangely hued twist on this innocent thing from your childhood and your mom and grandma's" is a bit much, especially in the diner scenes. Not sure what to make of the ghostly elements. I feel like there has to be a shady real estate developer behind that, even if Freddie Prinze Jr. is no longer involved.

• Like 3

This could suck SO bad.

That said, it's promising that even though they both aged her up and are giving her lots of SexyTime, they're at least keeping this in the small town.  There was some idea a while back to have her grown in New York City and that sounded... dubious.