Type keyword(s) to search

Nancy Drew Media: Mysteries Explained

• Start Topic

‘Nancy Drew’: Scott Wolf Replacing Freddie Prinze Jr. In CW Drama Series

A day after the CW ordered its Nancy Drew pilot to series, comes word of a key casting change. Party of Five and Night Shift alum Scott Wolf will replace Freddie Prinze Jr. as Nancy’s dad, Carson Drew, in the drama series from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage’s Fake Empire and CBS TV Studios, Deadline has confirmed. The role was recast after the pilot.

That is a disappointment. I was looking forward to seeing Freddie Prinze Jr back on my screen. I've missed seeing him around. No disrespect to Scott Wolf either, but I just see Freddie as Carson more than him.

• Love 3

Is this going to  be a darker, more Veronica Mars-ish Nancy Drew with a season long mystery? I feel like that's how the CW would play it. I mean, I'm definitely in as long as it's not Emma Roberts' Nancy Drew. I'll definitely be searching for the Maggie Lawson and 1970s versions now that my interest is piqued. 

11 hours ago, starri said:

Veronica Mars meets The Conjuring?  I'm into it.

Here I was thinking Riverdale meets Veronica Mars meets I Know What You Did Last Summer.

I did like some parts of it - Nancy breaking into the guy's house, her making her suspect list in a notebook instead of a giant murder board like so many fictional detectives do, the cop's annoyance with her, but the overall Riverdale vibe of "look at this dark and strangely hued twist on this innocent thing from your childhood and your mom and grandma's" is a bit much, especially in the diner scenes. Not sure what to make of the ghostly elements. I feel like there has to be a shady real estate developer behind that, even if Freddie Prinze Jr. is no longer involved.

• Love 6

This could suck SO bad.

That said, it's promising that even though they both aged her up and are giving her lots of SexyTime, they're at least keeping this in the small town.  There was some idea a while back to have her grown in New York City and that sounded... dubious.

• Love 3

As a woman approaching 50, I am super excited about this. I've played almost all the HER Interactive games, had all the books growing up, used to pretend to be Nancy Drew when I was a kid (burying stuff in the park and then creating a mystery to solve)...

I will hold judgement until I actually watch a few episodes. Maybe they can pull this off!

• Love 6
(edited)
21 hours ago, Souris said:

Looks like Nancy Drew in name only.

I haven't seen it yet so I'm withholding judgement - but, yep, this is exactly what I'm afraid is going to happen.  I mean I get that "they" want a modern audience but if they are going to Riverdale it I'm just not interested.

I don't mind updating Nancy - even as a kid I wondered why 18 yr old Nancy didn't have a job or go to school for instance - but there is a line I just don't want to see crossed!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 6
On 6/25/2019 at 1:02 PM, Homily said:

even as a kid I wondered why 18 yr old Nancy didn't have a job or go to school for instance

I loved Nancy and the Hardy Boys and still do, but even as a 10-year-old, I noted that Nancy does not go to school or have a job, lives at her dad's, drives a new convertible, flies off round the world at a moments' notice (along with her equally unemployed friends) and always refuses payment every time she solves a mystery. The Hardy Boys, meanwhile, did go to high school and somehow managed to do every extracurricular activity on offer while also flying off round the world at a moments' notice, owning a car, a boat, motorbikes, vast amounts of other technical equipment and having automatic and immediate access to their father's plane (which they could fly). They also had no jobs and refused any payment for solving mysteries. 

I'm not sure the Riverdale formula will strike twice for the CW, but I'd almost like to see a Brady Bunch Movie take on both series!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

A 22 episode season isn't a good idea for a show like this. That means a LOT of filler episodes and a lot of stretching of storylines to get to 22 episodes. A mystery show like this should be condensed for a cleaner story. 16 episodes would have been just fine, but 22 episodes is going to drag. 

See what happened to Riverdale the moment they expanded to 22 episodes for season 2. The mystery portion of the show made the show drag and made the stories messy and make little sense. And I see Nancy Drew going the exact same way.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

A 22 episode season isn't a good idea for a show like this. That means a LOT of filler episodes and a lot of stretching of storylines to get to 22 episodes. A mystery show like this should be condensed for a cleaner story. 16 episodes would have been just fine, but 22 episodes is going to drag. 

See what happened to Riverdale the moment they expanded to 22 episodes for season 2. The mystery portion of the show made the show drag and made the stories messy and make little sense. And I see Nancy Drew going the exact same way.

I think the show will be better off if they do some mini mystery arcs rather than drawing out one mystery all season. Honestly, the only time I remember a season long mystery arm working was S1 of Veronica Mars.

• Love 2

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19. This panel hasn't been assigned a time slot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website for the schedule.

TV Guide's Fan Favorites
Featuring Hale Appleman (The Magicians), Chris Chalk (Perry Mason), Robbie Amell (Upload), Kennedy McMann (Nancy Drew), Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Picard), Richard Harmon (The 100), Lindsey Morgan (The 100), Harvey Guillen (What We Do in the Shadows), and Alex Newell (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist).

• Love 2

The cast will be participating in the virtual New York Comic Con.

Stars Kennedy McMann, Scott Wolf, Alex Saxon, Leah Lewis, Maddison Jaizani, Tunji Kasim, and Riley Smith will be joined by creator/executive producer Noga Landau and showrunner/executive producer Melinda Hsu Taylor to discuss The CW drama.

• Love 2

So did anyone actually watch the panel and get an explanation of why this show is so silly?  The setup and talent, and especially the production, actually being fairly nice, but the actual execution so totally crap?

The CW is developing an updated "Tom Swift" series, with one episode of Nancy Drew this season possibly being used to introduce the character.  Sounds like it will be more of an Arrowverse-style introduction of the titular character, rather than a push-aside-the-regulars backdoor pilot.

From TVLine's write-up:

a potential new series centered on iconic inventor Tom Swift is being eyed at the network, albeit with a huge (and super-cool) asterisk attached: The formerly white, blonde and straight lead character will now be Black and gay.

From Deadline's write-up:

Plans are for Tom to crash into one of Nancy’s investigations, an event which Nancy interprets as supernatural and Tom believes to be cosmically paranormal.

I'm sure that will make sense in context.

• Useful 1

Nancy Drew or Scooby-Doo? You tell me.

THE DREW CREW IS BACK FOR SEASON TWO!

Nancy Drew - Episode 2.01 - The Search for the Midnight Wraith - Original airdate 1/20/2021.

Nancy (Kennedy McMann) and the Drew Crew are still reeling from witnessing the visions of their deaths. They realize even more so now that they need to come up with a plan to stop the Aglaeca before it’s too late. Meanwhile, Detective Tamura (guest star Ryan-James Hatanaka “Nurses”) shows up at The Claw to bring Nancy in for questioning as she is now a suspect in a mysterious comatose girl’s assault. Scott Wolf, Leah Lewis, Tunji Kasim, Riley Smith and Alvina August also star. Larry Teng directed the episode written by Noga Landau and Melinda Hsu Taylor 

That's right! George isn't dead yet from her bucket of blood revelation, what is taking so long.

Seems like a continuation of Season 1, I will probably have to go watch the last 10 minutes of Season 1 to get my bearing.

• Useful 1

‘Walker,’ ‘Flash,’ ‘Riverdale’ Among 12 CW Shows to Score Early Renewals

The other shows are: “All American” (renewed for Season 4), “Batwoman” (renewed for Season 3), “Charmed” (Season 4), “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” (Season 7), “Dynasty” (Season 5) “The Flash” (Season 8), “In The Dark” (Season 4), “Legacies” (Season 4), “Nancy Drew” (Season 3), “Riverdale” (Season 6), and “Roswell, New Mexico” (Season 4). 

• Love 1

The CW shows reportedly earn about 95% of their revenue from post-views, which is presumably why the CW president keeps saying that he really doesn't care about ratings. My guess is that Nancy Drew will probably get a full five seasons.

That said, I do wish more people had at least heard of the show. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm actually seeing an increase in social media activity this season (Tumblr especially seems to have many Nancy/Ace shippers popping up). A lot of people are streaming it on HBO Max. I'm not too worried about it... people, especially younger people, aren't watching stuff live on TV anymore.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, quarks said:

Kudos for whoever managed to write the least descriptive description of a season finale ever. 

Taking a leaf from The Good Place writers' book, I see.

6 hours ago, quarks said:

"It is an episode of television which features our actors!"

My personal favourite is "Various events occur, in a certain specific order."

Close runner up: "Various conversations occur, between various groups of people."

I can hope that the Nancy Drew one was also intentionally cryptic, though not as amusing.

13 minutes ago, secnarf said:

My personal favourite is "Various events occur, in a certain specific order."

Close runner up: "Various conversations occur, between various groups of people."

I can hope that the Nancy Drew one was also intentionally cryptic, though not as amusing.

Heh.

Intentionally cryptic is a possibility, but I think that "any actual details might spoil the twist of the second-to-last episode" and "whoever wrote this hasn't seen the episode or the script, so just went with the theme of the show and a cast list" are more likely.

And if that second choice sounds unlikely, you have not been following the inexplicable marketing that has been the CW for the last seven or eight years. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if CBS Television Studios did fail to shoot the network cut over to the CW's marketing team, on a "it is even worth the effort?" approach. 

• Love 1