Type keyword(s) to search

The Hardy Boys (2020) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

When a family tragedy strikes, Frank, 16, and Joe, 12, move from the big city to their parents' hometown of Bridgeport for the summer. While staying with their Aunt Trudy (Bea Santos), their summer quickly comes to a halt when they discover their dad, detective Fenton Hardy (Big Little Lies' James Tupper) has taken on a secret investigation.

Realizing that their dad may be onto something, the boys and some friends take it upon themselves to start their own investigation — and everyone in town is a suspect.

What year is this supposed to be taking place in?

Is the grandmother character Laura’s mom? She seems like she has a weird problem with Trudy so I thought maybe she was Trudy and Fenton’s mom but then she talked about Laura bringing home Fenton so I guess she’s Laura’s mom. I don’t know I was confused lol.

I only watched the first episode and it didn’t really grab me but I didn’t hate it. I’ll probably keep watching.

9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Just looked at the cast list.  Nope.

Is there something wrong with the listed actors? Or just that you don't recognize any of them?

7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

What year is this supposed to be taking place in?

Is the grandmother character Laura’s mom? She seems like she has a weird problem with Trudy so I thought maybe she was Trudy and Fenton’s mom but then she talked about Laura bringing home Fenton so I guess she’s Laura’s mom. I don’t know I was confused lol.

I only watched the first episode and it didn’t really grab me but I didn’t hate it. I’ll probably keep watching.

At first I thought maybe the 70s, but I think I read somewhere that it was the 80s. The grandmother is Laura's mom. I actually initially thought Trudy was Laura's sister, then realized there were all staying in Fenton and Trudy's childhood home.

I'm enjoying it so far - it's certainly way better than the Nancy Drew reboot on CW! Some parts are a bit silly, but it's entertaining enough. It reminds me of Home Before Dark on Apple TV, but with less of a focus on an adult storyline. The kid playing Joe is great, and I'm loving his interaction with JB. I was really looking for a good mystery show, and this hits the spot...perfect for a snow day binge! I'll probably finish it off tomorrow.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Too different from the characters in the original books. I don't mind a little updating, but . . .

Fair enough! I never read the books that I can remember, might have been only 1 or 2 if I did, but I read most of Nancy Drew! The CW show was a disappointment.

• Love 4

The trailer gave me the same vibes as the "Nancy Drew" series on the CW, which feel nothing like the book with all the supernatural hocus pocus stuff.  Joe seems way younger than I'd imagine, so it just didn't feel like Hardy Boys to me... more like a bunch of random kids in a small town.  I would like to give this series a try, though I'm not sure I like that they killed off their mom.   The trailer said the mom was a detective.  I wonder what if they had made the mom Nancy Drew who married Fenton.

9 hours ago, Camera One said:

The trailer gave me the same vibes as the "Nancy Drew" series on the CW, which feel nothing like the book with all the supernatural hocus pocus stuff.  Joe seems way younger than I'd imagine, so it just didn't feel like Hardy Boys to me... more like a bunch of random kids in a small town.  I would like to give this series a try, though I'm not sure I like that they killed off their mom.   The trailer said the mom was a detective.  I wonder what if they had made the mom Nancy Drew who married Fenton.

For what it's worth I think this is much better than the CW's Nancy Drew. It does have the friends chipping in to help, but the focus is definitely on the Hardy Boys solving the mystery. Haven't really read the originals though apart from a couple, so it very well could be "in name only," - but as a mystery show it's not bad, and the kid playing Joe is pretty great. I believe the mom was a journalist.

If anyone else is watching - are they implying that Jessie & Trudy are in a relationship? They're not actually doing anything that friends wouldn't do, but I got a vibe between them that was more than friends. Episode 10 spoilers:

Spoiler

Frank asks Trudy is Jessie is mad at her for covering for them, and she says relationships are hard. I couldn't tell if she meant that in a generic way, or she and Jessie are together and Frank is aware of it.

This is taking place in the 80s, so I can't tell if they're together and not out, or just friends. Am I misreading something?

• Love 1

This is taking place in the 80s, so I can't tell if they're together and not out, or just friends. Am I misreading something?

Yeah I got a similar impression there. Also some touching while they were watching tv, plus Biff explaining that she was adopted. Those all seem like clues to me. It's probably as far as they'd want to go in a Hardy Boys story, but I'm not sure planting hints about a lesbian relationship (if that's what they were doing) is what people want to see in a Hardy Boys story.

For that matter all the pyrotechnics at the end, and the amulets of power or whatever are fantasy elements that for sure don't belong. Hardy Boys isn't Dr Strange or Harry Potter. Notwithstanding the previous objections there was some stuff I liked about the show (nice seeing Linda Thorson again) but it was too long. Letterboxing an already wide screen seems artsy for no reason (I saw tops of heads being cut off). The last ep should have showed and identified the key cast members on screen one by one at the end, because the closing credits just whip by in tiny type.

• Love 4
On 12/6/2020 at 8:01 PM, david gideon said:

Yeah I got a similar impression there. Also some touching while they were watching tv, plus Biff explaining that she was adopted. Those all seem like clues to me. It's probably as far as they'd want to go in a Hardy Boys story, but I'm not sure planting hints about a lesbian relationship (if that's what they were doing) is what people want to see in a Hardy Boys story.

For that matter all the pyrotechnics at the end, and the amulets of power or whatever are fantasy elements that for sure don't belong. Hardy Boys isn't Dr Strange or Harry Potter. Notwithstanding the previous objections there was some stuff I liked about the show (nice seeing Linda Thorson again) but it was too long. Letterboxing an already wide screen seems artsy for no reason (I saw tops of heads being cut off). The last ep should have showed and identified the key cast members on screen one by one at the end, because the closing credits just whip by in tiny type.

Yeah, most of the show wasn't bad - they kept the supernatural elements subtle and focused on mystery solving until the end. But the last episode was a disappointment. I wish they'd just done a traditional mystery. I don't they would've needed to change much to keep it real.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, non sequitur said:

Honestly so disappointed that Joe is 12 in this. 

How old is he in the books?

I thought this was ok. It really meandered at the end, but I feel that way about most shows nowadays.

Oh also the love triangle was terrible. It didn’t fit and none of the characters had any chemistry with each other. Chet and Phil had more chem than either Frank/Callie or Chet/Callie tbh. Hell, Frank had more chem with his aunt than he did with Callie! I wanted to like Callie and I pretty much did until she became all about her crush on Frank. She sucked almost exclusively once they went there.

I liked that they pretty much ended this so if there isn’t another season it doesn’t really matter. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

How old is he in the books?

Frank is 18 and Joe is 17.  There was some contrivance about a long illness that resulted in Frank being held back a year so they're in the same grade, but I can't remember the specifics.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm five episodes in and enjoying it so far. They've done a good job of establishing the closeness of the brothers without having them too attached at the hip. The de-aging of Joe doesn't seem too detrimental. 

Honestly, after Nancy Drew I'm surprised CW didn't pick up the Hardy Boys and have them solve supernatural mysteries to replace the Winchesters. I don't think I've read any of the novels...maybe one or two of the Case Files or a Nancy Drew crossover. I have seen the 70s TV show which led to fairly intense reading of wikipedia pages. 

Also, I just realized JB is Benny from My Babysitter's a Vampire, which I was far too old to watch but really enjoyed. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 2

All right, I finished my binge. I'd watch another season of this. The brothers had good chemistry. I liked Joe's snarkiness. Loved the exchange with his dad "If we get out of this, I'm making this my clubhouse" "Over my dead body, you are." "Oh, they have those down here too." I think he's my favorite brother, so he's upholding a fine tradition set by Shaun Cassidy. The group played off each other well, minus the love triangle attempts. Shame Stacy was evil, I thought she had decent chemistry with Frank. I liked Callie when she wasn't crushing on Frank. Glad she punched Stacy. Callie actress looks so much like Veronica from Riverdale to me. The supernatural elements didn't seem too over the top, as it seemed they had only a subtle control of events and felt like it was more about the conspiracy than anything. Glad Grandma didn't kill the daughter. 

Fenton Hardy is a terrible father. I will not be happy to see him in theoretical season 2. 

• Love 3

I really liked the series, and ended up liking younger Joe. He was a great actor!  I also like the JB character and thought he added a lot to the show.

I agree about Callie, it really slowed the plot down and was awkward.  

Hope this is renewed for a second season, but it seems like it wasn't so popular.

• Love 3

I thought this was solid. Shame it doesn't seem to be very popular; however Hulu tends to be better at giving chances than Netflix, so maybe it'll get through.

The pros:

1.) Joe was well-cast, and I loved how he was played. This kid had some really good charisma, and he really did feel like a force to be reckoned with...in the body of a 12-year old. It's a shame Supernatural has stopped running because the actor would have made another great Young Dean.

2.) The chemistry between Joe and Frank was really good.

3.) I liked the "almost" lesbian storyline between the aunt and the cop/Bif's mother. I thought they were going there with the hand touch, but then it kind of seemed to stop abruptly. I know that people complain about how period t.v. shows will be more relaxed with homophobia than they should be, but eh...it's not like there weren't open lesbians in the 80's, even in a small town. We're clearly not in the Bible Belt, either. It feels like New England.

4.) Agree with the people who thought Frank had good chemistry with Stacy, and it was a shame she was evil. 

5.) I liked the con man who struck up a weird friendship with Joe.

The cons:

1.) In the grand tradition of 80's-set tv shows, they completely ignore period-correct hair and make-up in order to make sure the female love interest looks attractive by present-day standards. I wanted to see some hot rollers hair and blush up to the hairline, darn it! On the flip side, I'm kind of impressed that they put Frank in high-waisted tight pants.

2.) The Callie/Frank relationship just didn't feel like it was developed. I don't know if the actors just lacked chemistry or something, but it felt like we were being told that Callie and Frank liked each other rather than just seeing it. Like, the Aunt/Lesbian Cop? THAT was  palpable chemistry. This? I didn't feel it.

All in all, I thought it was a solid show and it's a shame that it doesn't seem to be getting much traction. Maybe it'll pull through anyway because Hulu doesn't really have much in terms of YA type stuff currently running.

• Love 4

I am a little tired of these shows where the mystery takes the whole season to solve with an assemble cast of teenagers. II wished they hadn’t changed Joe’s age because he comes across as a know-it-all annoying kid. 
Show is just trying to do to much...too convoluted. They should’ve upheld tradition by honoring the books and the original show. I will not be watching another season. 

• Like 1

It was nice to see some of the Canadian actors show up (Hi, Linda Thorson, glad to see an Avenger still around) but I don't know what they're going for with the show.

Are they trying for the male tween audience with Joe only 12?  (In the books he was 17, in the later books 15).  The actor is good but it feels too much like Swallows and Amazons or some other child books.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:51 AM, Natalie25 said:

I lived through the 80s. We had birth control, tons of makeup and high school kids were pretty adult, or so it seemed to me.

Before I came here, I thought that it was set in the 40s. Especially when the grandmother showed the portrait of her father who looked like he was in the 1800s.

On 12/28/2020 at 9:34 PM, bettername2come said:

Fenton Hardy is a terrible father. I will not be happy to see him in theoretical season 2. 

He really is It's a shame the mother died and he's still around.

• Like 1

Random observations:

I LOVE BIFF!  Between her and Joe, the younger actors were killing it on this show!

Regarding the chemistry between Frank & Callie, the impression I got that the show was going for was that old-timey vibe where teens would hold hands and go to the malt shop vs the raging hormones of today.  That being said, Joe & Biff did have more chemistry than Frank & Callie.

The actor who played JB was also in "Killjoys" where he played a real smart-ass.  So, obviously this actor has a "type".

• Love 2

I finally got to see this, and overall, I liked the first season.  I was iffy on the idea of Joe being so much younger than Frank, but the actor was awesome and effective as a sharp-witted sarcastic younger brother, so he won me over.  The chemistry between the two brothers were good, as was the chemistry with the group of friends.  The characters are generally able to be smart.  They could have done a better job with establishing the strengths of the two brothers.  Joe being an expert lock picker and mechanical genius needed some sort of explanation or establishment before they popped up.  I did like how they were reading their dad's books to learn how to investigate.

They changed a lot with Frank and Joe's friends, and they killed off the mom (which I understand, since it provided more emotion for the characters to deal with), so it is quite different from the books, but the 1980s setting, the small town location, and some of the old-fashioned detective techniques does sort of evoke some of the spirit from the books.

The production values seem much higher than that of CW's Nancy Drew.  I hated how that Nancy Drew became all about real supernatural spirits, so I wasn't keen when a supernatural element appeared a couple of episodes into this Hardy Boys series as well.  Overall, they did a decent job of keeping it more grounded, though I would still have preferred a completely non-supernatural story.  The season-long arc was super convoluted, but the writers did a good job of keeping it engaging and cohesive despite some pointless meandering.

Spoiler

For example, that tall guy terrorizing them got tiresome after a few episodes.  There were also some dumb character decisions involved near the end, for example, with Joe letting JB into his room where he was hiding the piece of the Eye.  

I agree with the above comments that the Callie/Frank subplot was uncomfortable to watch.  The actors did have chemistry but it was just icky and awkward when she was already in a relationship.

Spoiler

If they want Frank and Callie to kiss, they should have waited for the second season.  I also disliked how the finale showed the Eye not destroyed.  They've done all they could with that subplot, so I was ready to see it end for good.

I'm glad there's a Season 2!  

It's interesting that this is from the same Canadian production company that attempted a Hardy Boys and a Nancy Drew series in 1995.  

I'm really late to this party, but I just finished watching this show yesterday and I loved it.  Though I never ready Hardy Boys, I am a big fan of mystery stories, and of the teenaged-sleuth genre (Trixie Belden was my girl!).  Even though it was cheesy and unbelievable at times, this show absolutely scratched that itch for me.  It felt very, very satisfying.  I know several have said they didn't like the season-long mystery, but to me that is party of what made it feel like a book.  Each episode is a new chapter with a new clue and a little danger.  I like that they updated it to the 80's, but didn't update it too much to modern day.  The story probably wouldn't work if the kids were just texting each other and tracking people through their phones and stuff.

Things I really liked: Joe.  Man, Alexander Elliott is a fine little actor.  He stole every scene he was in, and the ones with JB were particularly fun.  Although he totally shouldn't have kept trusting JB, I can see why he did.  He's had some major upheavals in his life and he's missing his dad, so JB became a big of a surrogate it that way.  I liked him and Frank as brothers who need each other but are still separate people, too.

The mystery itself: Again, felt very much like an old teenage sleuth story.  A strange artifact.  Powerful rich people, and people in authority positions.  Not knowing who you can trust.  A bit of supernatural elements, but not so much that it overpowered the whole thing.  I'm really glad that ghost Laura didn't actually speak to the boys at any point.  

Things I didn't like: The attempts to shoehorn-in 80's music montages.  Often the tone of the song didn't really match what was happening on screen, either.  We get it.  It's the 80's.  

Stacy.  I know she's not exactly supposed to be likeable, but wow, I found her really grating.  Also agree that the teen love triangle was unnecessary.  They should have just had Callie be single and she and Frank be attracted to each other without having to hurt Chet in the process.  

Speaking of, what the hell happened to Stacy at the end?  And how did Callie get out of the tunnel?  I know she said something about it over the scene of them putting Gloria in jail, but I watched that part twice and still couldn't hear it.  Is she supposed to be dead or still out there?  And did a guy pick up the eye at the end?  I was kind of hoping we could move on to a new mystery next season and not deal with the eye anymore.  

Finally, I saw that this show got picked up for a second season, and that it was supposed to film over the summer.  Does anyone know if that actually happened?  I can't find any confirmation about it.

EDIT:  Never mind.  This article says they were filming back in August.  https://www.niagarathisweek.com/whatson-story/10460829-port-dalhousie-marina-hosts-the-hardy-boys-shoot/

Edited by 88Keys
  • Love 2

Wednesday, April 6 premieres all 10 episodes on Hulu.

The second season picks up six months after the events of Season 1, building on the mystery and drama of the inaugural season and welcoming new friends and suspects. In Season 2, when a Bridgeport classmate mysteriously disappears, Frank (Rohan Campbell) and Joe Hardy (Alexander Elliot) drop their new normal routine to get back to detective work. But when they discover the mystical relic they destroyed last year is still in play, it becomes clear their simple missing person case is actually part of something far more sinister. The Hardy boys and their friends must quickly learn who they can and can't trust as they race against time to unravel the truth, and ultimately realize that no one is safe from their past.

• Love 4

Interesting it's set 6 months after.  Considering Season 1 was filmed in 2019 while this season was filmed 2 years later.  With a kid actor like Joe, it's a little far-fetched to say it's 6 months later when he's 2 years older.  Hopefully, the transition won't be too abrupt.  They could have set it at least a year afterwards, surely?  I guess we won't know until we know more of the story.  I hope they don't go too much further with the supernatural elements.

Edited by Camera One
On 3/10/2022 at 2:52 PM, AnimeMania said:

Wednesday, April 6 premieres all 10 episodes on Hulu.

The second season picks up six months after the events of Season 1, building on the mystery and drama of the inaugural season and welcoming new friends and suspects. In Season 2, when a Bridgeport classmate mysteriously disappears, Frank (Rohan Campbell) and Joe Hardy (Alexander Elliot) drop their new normal routine to get back to detective work. But when they discover the mystical relic they destroyed last year is still in play, it becomes clear their simple missing person case is actually part of something far more sinister. The Hardy boys and their friends must quickly learn who they can and can't trust as they race against time to unravel the truth, and ultimately realize that no one is safe from their past.

Thank you!  You made my day!  :)

13 hours ago, Camera One said:

Interesting it's set 6 months after.  Considering Season 1 was filmed in 2019 while this season was filmed 2 years later.  With a kid actor like Joe, it's a little far-fetched to say it's 6 months later when he's 2 years older.  Hopefully, the transition won't be too abrupt.  They could have set it at least a year afterwards, surely?  I guess we won't know until we know more of the story.  I hope they don't go too much further with the supernatural elements.

I was actually thinking that while watching the first season.  Joe's voice is going to be way different by season two.  I don't know if anyone here watches "Secrets of Sulphur Spring" on Disney, but the main actor sounded completely different between season 1 and 2.  Oh well, that's what happens with child actors.  Can't be helped.

Who is the guy hugging Frank and Joe?  Did they recast the dad?

Edit: And I knew Frank would get some kind of weird powers after touching The Eye while it was being re-forged.  

Edited by 88Keys
On 3/29/2022 at 9:12 PM, 88Keys said:

Who is the guy hugging Frank and Joe?  Did they recast the dad?

That's disappointing.  I didn't notice the dad was different until someone mentioned it, since it has been awhile since I've watched and the original actor had a generic "normal guy" look.

Hardy Boys Season 2    April 6       Hulu

Episodes 1-10      Titles and Descriptions

w1200

Spoiler

S02.E01: A Disappearance
05fe9f1b-4976-4f35-9d34-099fe133581a?bas

Frank (Rohan Campbell) and Joe Hardy (Alexander Elliot) return to detective work when a classmate goes missing.

S02.E02: Conflicting Reports
d213c036-1e36-4e51-b128-caf38d94e62d?bas
Joe (Alexander Elliot) suspects Dennis’s (Leonidas Castrounis) girlfriend, Lucy (Sadie Munroe), is hiding something about the night he went missing, and Frank (Rohan Campbell) realizes The Eye is trying to show him something about the case. 

S02.E03: The Missing Camera
4cfb8c3a-1b5d-439d-86f9-35383b6fc0ba?bas
When Frank (Rohan Campbell) is led to believe a local recluse is their prime suspect, the team attempts a risky break-in to retrieve the video camera Dennis lost in the woods. 

S02.E04: A Clue on Film
2e464b1d-7a08-4f54-94d1-0541493df882?bas

It’s a waiting game as Callie (Keana Lyn) tries to repair Dennis’s (Leonidas Castrounis) damaged videotape, and the whole gang attends the annual Demon Night drive-in.

S02.E05: Heading for Destruction
fcac8f65-966a-4d39-9ffb-f0aa0a7bbe4e?bas

The gang races to stop a potential bombing at the Demon Day Parade, while Fenton (Anthony Lemke) makes a shocking discovery of his own.

S02.E06: Hunting an Intruder
e37fa84b-0568-4b1a-8f6b-40ff6740242e?bas

In the aftermath of the bombing, the team realizes Wilt’s may not have been the intended target.

S02.E07: The Doctor’s Orders
d24b4048-b09f-48d6-9c02-52ab9a36e964?bas
When Dr. Burelli (Michelle Giroux) plans to move Dennis (Leonidas Castrounis) to another facility, Joe (Alexander Elliot) fears the worst and convinces Lucy (Sadie Munroe), Biff (Riley O’Donnell) and Phil (Cristian Perri) to help him stop her. 

S02.E08: A Midnight Scare
965b6158-4786-4c23-80c5-638430446cc0?bas

Frank (Rohan Campbell) and Callie (Keana Lyn) make a shocking revelation about the Project Midnight test subjects, while Joe (Alexander Elliot) impatiently tries to enlist the help of J.B. Cox (Atticus Mitchell) to get the power out of Frank. 

S02.E09: Captured!
1d253b6d-679d-4bf6-8fca-3261f2b2262e?bas

Joe (Alexander Elliot) conspires with J.B. (Atticus Mitchell) to steal the relic from Stratemeyer Global and get the power out of Frank (Rohan Campbell), but The Eye has other plans.

S02.E10: An Unexpected Return
4ea7ad61-1f24-4da5-8031-8cbfb7fe8f2a?bas
With Frank (Rohan Campbell) missing from the school dance, Joe (Alexander Elliot) and the gang must race against time to locate his whereabouts and stop the Shadow Man from completing his ultimate plan.

Hulu-Hardy-Boys.jpg?w=1000
Hardy-Boys-Interior.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=
Hardy-Boys-Bikes.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=963
Hardy2.jpg?w=800&ssl=1

On 4/1/2022 at 8:39 PM, Camera One said:

That's disappointing.  I didn't notice the dad was different until someone mentioned it, since it has been awhile since I've watched and the original actor had a generic "normal guy" look.

I thought he looked perfect for the classic film noir detective.  Based on the preview, the new guy looks like Frank and Joe's older brother who just got back from a surfing trip. 

• Love 1

They have the "everyone stare really hard at something" look down.  :)

I probably won't have time to sit down and watch this until next week, so adios for now.  

Been watching it and I'm liking it. When I was growing up in the 80's, I devoured all of the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Three Investigators, Bobbsey Twins, Tom Swift, etc... books I could get my hands on. I think mom may have finally donated most of them a few years ago. 

Anyways, as for this series, I'm a little disappointed that it is mystical; but I'm glad the mystical aspects are still quite lowkey for the most part in both seasons, and not dominating as much as Nancy Drew CW. 

The Time period feels very late 80's/early 90's to me; in fact it feels very much like my youth at that age range which is probably another part of the appeal to me. 

Joe's certainly a strong actor and one of the show's absolute stars. While Frank's actor isn't quite as strong, their brotherly chemistry is very much on point. (As the elder, quieter brother in my family, Fank always resonated with me)

On 4/1/2022 at 9:39 PM, Camera One said:

I didn't notice the dad was different until someone mentioned it, since it has been awhile since I've watched and the original actor had a generic "normal guy" look

Same!  I didn't notice the dad being different but I immediately noticed they recast Biff's mom.  Why I wonder?  I really liked the original actress.

15 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

I immediately noticed they recast Biff's mom.  Why I wonder?  I really liked the original actress.

Me too.  The original actress works as a newscaster.  Maybe she wasn't available?  It's a shame, though.

• Useful 1

I only knew they recast the dad because they had Trudy make a meta remark about him looking different. I didn't realize they had recast Biff's mom because I don't remember her at all lol.

Normally, I fast forward through recaps but I was really hoping they'd have one at the beginning of the first ep because I don't remember pretty much anything about season 1.

• Love 1

I'm FINALLY watching this, months after I said I would.  I still have a couple of episodes left to go, but I'll share a few initial thoughts.

After the first episode or two, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to continue.  The pacing felt a little off.  And Joe's insistence on finding Dennis and getting involved in the case felt odd, like there was no real reason for it.  It made sense last season, when they were trying to find their mother's killer.  His badgering of everyone was over-the-top and I'm REALLY glad that he was called out for it.  Once we got past that, things flowed more smoothly.  

The mystery is much tighter this year, which is great.  It's moving a little fast, but last season moved a little slow so I guess it evens out.  The supernatural elements are apparently here to stay, so I guess I'm just gonna roll with it.  I like the fact that Frank still wants to use the Eye and Joe still wants to destroy it.  It was a nice callback to last season.  And the two actors still play off each other well.  I wasn't sure about Belinda at first but she seems to fit in with the group pretty well.  I like that she just goes with the investigations.  Oh, and I'm glad that Chet turned out smarter than I thought he was going to be and didn't fall for Angela's manipulation.

They need more JB.  His scenes with Joe were the highlight of the first season to me.

I don't like the recasts.  New Fenton is OK in the acting department, but he seems too young to be their dad.  And Not Jessie is just kind of flat and seems disconnected from everyone else.  I mean, even before she got hurt.  Oh, and speaking of Fenton- did they really gas him at the end of episode 6 and not mention it again for two episodes?  Because I'm down to the last two eps and they haven't shown him or said anything about him, lol.

I'll be back after I finish.  Honestly, I've enjoyed this enough that I kind of don't want it to end.  

• Like 1

So, I'm finished now, and wow, do I have thoughts.  I thought episodes 8 and 9 were great.  Really exciting and suspenseful.  The finale was.... something.  It kind of dragged in the beginning (Mr. Munder monologed forever!), then the last half went super-fast and threw a lot of stuff at us.  Oh, and it took a hard turn into soap opera territory.

This whole time, I've been thinking "please don't let them use the power of the eye to bring the mom back to life."  And they didn't, and I was so relieved...until it was reveled that she was never actually dead in the first place.  I'm actually kind of upset by this.  Laura's death was what set the entire chain of events into motion.  It is what caused Frank and Joe to become what they are now.  And now we're just going to undo that?  It feels cheap, and like the last two seasons were kind of a waste.  I'm also sure that Fenton will keep it a secret from the boys, which will lead to more tension and family drama.  

Speaking of Fenton, he sucks.  I didn't mind him in the first season, and even kind of liked him.  But this season his sons were kidnapped and held at gunpoint multiple times, and he was there for NONE of it.  

I don't mind the supernatural elements of the show, but "consciousness-transfer" is pretty crazy.  And they said "weigh station" way too many times.  I still don't know what it means.   I'm not sure that's what I want the show to be about from now on.  Then again, the new "evil" Frank could be fun.  I'm guessing Joe will figure it out pretty quickly and NotFrank will turn on him and try to eliminate him.  I think George is truly evil and will not have any scruples about sparing anyone, even his other great grandson.

I still don't totally understand who the man was in Frank's visions.  Was it the younger version of George who was leading him around and manipulating him?  And I still don't know if Belinda's dad was a good guy or a bad guy.

On a more positive note, can we just admit that Phil is the backbone of the team?  They wouldn't know half the stuff they know if it weren't for him.  Or it would take them much longer to figure it out.  He was a great friend to Biff as well.  

As weird as I feel about the finale, I still hope the renewal rumors are true because that was a hell of a cliffhanger to end on.

Edited by 88Keys
  • Like 1

I only just got my hands on Season 2 and was only able to watch the first episode but I really enjoyed it. It was nice to have the gang all back together. I'm hoping to watch another episode or two tomorrow. Joe continues to be my favourite. 

• Love 1
On 10/12/2022 at 12:43 PM, AnimeMania said:

Hulu’s ‘Hardy Boys’ to End After Season 3 (EXCLUSIVE)

Season 3 (eight episodes) will be the final season and production is already underway in Toronto and southern Ontario, Canada.

Bailee Madison has joined the cast as Drew Darrow, a fun but often frustrating new ally with a brilliant mind and an appetite for magic and mysteries.

I'm OK with that because if they go into the season knowing it's the last, they can write a story that has a satisfying conclusion and not a cliffhanger. 

• Love 1

I haven't watched Season 2 yet since I was going to watch it with a friend.  I wonder why they have decided the third season will be its last.  I too am glad it will get a proper finale, but I wish it could have continued as well.

I was rewatching the previous (short-lived) 1995 Canadian-made "Hardy Boys" series that predated this one.  This one was made and set in the 1990s and I can actually imagine these being the same brothers, 10 years later, living in the big city.  Joe is similarly quippy and I can even imagine them growing up to look like that.  They even had 1-2 crossovers with the Nancy Drew show they made in 1995.  It would have been fun to have a Nancy Drew show in the same universe as this 2020 one.  The CW Nancy Drew feels like a completely different universe.

I didn't know until a few days ago the second season was out. Joe's still my favorite. I missed his scenes with Biff this year. I felt like we didn't get as many Frank and Joe scenes, which sucks because I never like Frank more than when he's in protective brother mode. Wouldn't have noticed the Dad and Jessie switch if I hadn't read it. I liked the way they did the Eye giving clues without direct answers. It didn't feel too contrived. Belinda and Lucy meshed well with the team. Saving Frank from great-grandpa will be a good season mystery once they catch on, which better happen soon or they'll all look like idiots.

On 10/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, AnimeMania said:

Bailee Madison has joined the cast as Drew Darrow, a fun but often frustrating new ally with a brilliant mind and an appetite for magic and mysteries.

I love Bailee Madison. She'll definitely be a fun Nancy Drew type, even if she's not secretly Nancy with a terrible alias. 

• Love 1
On 11/29/2022 at 7:47 PM, bettername2come said:

I didn't know until a few days ago the second season was out. Joe's still my favorite. I missed his scenes with Biff this year. I felt like we didn't get as many Frank and Joe scenes, which sucks because I never like Frank more than when he's in protective brother mode. Wouldn't have noticed the Dad and Jessie switch if I hadn't read it. I liked the way they did the Eye giving clues without direct answers. It didn't feel too contrived. Belinda and Lucy meshed well with the team. Saving Frank from great-grandpa will be a good season mystery once they catch on, which better happen soon or they'll all look like idiots.

I love Bailee Madison. She'll definitely be a fun Nancy Drew type, even if she's not secretly Nancy with a terrible alias. 

I think Joe will be the first to catch on, if he hasn't already.  Something about the way he looked at Frank in that last scene.  Maybe it was just because he lied about what he did with the eye, but part of me thinks he already knows something is up with Frank.

I like Bailee Madison too and think she will be a good addition to the cast.