Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20 Timmy's New Hobby

• Start Topic

Timmy's New Hobby (Season 1, Episode 20)

8:30 PM EST Tuesday on ABC

Peggy discovers that Timmy has a newfound and inappropriate hobby and urges Mike to talk to him about it even though he is reluctant to do so. Despite being uncomfortable, Mike attempts to have a conversation with Timmy about the topic and enlists Lawrence's help in the matter. Elsewhere, Frank is determined to finally catch Joey in a lie.

Airdate: April 30, 2019

I loved this episode.  It was obviously funny, but I especially liked the way every Cleary had a funny moment in this.  The Dad/big brother talks were equal parts awkward and adorable.  

• Love 5
(edited)
38 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

I'm right there with ya, Peggy - both Michael Cudlitz and vintage TV Western star Clint Walker make me wanna go start a load of laundry... no shame!

Haha!  I loved Peggy and her washing machine, along with the Sears catalogue mention (women's coats!) and the sexed up Mrs. Butterworth bottle. 😄 And Timmy's whole conversation with Lawrence.

Lawrence: "I did the same thing when I was your age."
Timmy: "I doubt it was with the same level of pageantry."

I loved the whole Frank/Joey storyline too, and the twist that the nice girl was doing community service.   Joey was really sweet with the nursing home residents.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11

First-the soap opera doc was the doctor from “Vietnam!”  And his opening line was “...about three months in that cast.”  LOL. I Tweeted that last night and Mr. Doyle Tweeted back that I got the Easter egg!  

Speaking of Lawrence : Vacuum attachments????  I had the urge to Purcell myself!  LOL.  And Mike’s facial expression- best ever!  

Peggy and the washer- genius!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

So much goodness in this episode.  The puppetry being scenes that we've already seen this season was hilariously genius.  

Loved Mike and Timmy going out to play catch and their throwing around the mitt since they've never done it before.  

Loved Lawrence getting confused and finally stopping the conversation with Timmy:  "What are you talking about"

Loved the look of guilt on Timmy's face when the parents walk in at the end.  

Loved this:

Peggy:  Ugh, I can't beleive we have to have this conversation three more times.

Mike:  Four.  Timmy had no idea what the hell we were talking about.  

My one problem is that Timmy is the 4th kid.  Surely they had gone through this before with Lawrence, Eddie, Frank and Joey.  

• Love 6

I'd believe they had the conversation with Laurence and Eddie. Frank is probably the one teenage boy *not* doing it and Joey would be way more discreet. 

I loved the narrator's reference to 'the tv show you're watching.'

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

My one problem is that Timmy is the 4th kid.  Surely they had gone through this before with Lawrence, Eddie, Frank and Joey.  

I thought the four more will be Timmy (since they didn't have it yet with him), William, Pat, and baby Andy.

Edited to add:  Also, Timmy is the fifth kid:

1. Lawrence

2. Eddie

3. Frank

4. Joey

5. Timmy

6. William

7. Pat

8. Baby Andy

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I'd believe they had the conversation with Laurence and Eddie. Frank is probably the one teenage boy *not* doing it and Joey would be way more discreet. 

I loved the narrator's reference to 'the tv show you're watching.'

However, Lawrence did make the comment that Frank takes more time in the shower after episodes of Batman that feature Catwoman- so pretty sure Frank is right up there with Lawrence and Eddie- and you know Joey is at the head of the pack. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I was dying when those toenails were flying everywhere. Sooo gross but so funny.

Yep, sooo gross and funny!  I was wondering if there was somebody just below the camera angle throwing the toenail pieces at them.  Those things were really flying and if they weren't carefully aimed they could put an eye out! 😄  Or get in their mouths while they were talking.  Yuck.

On another note... I've been hoping somebody would transcribe the whole conversation between Timmy and Lawrence.  It was so hilarious.

• Love 2

This show slays me!  My 11 year old son and I watched it together and the whole time I was thinking silently to myself “are you picking up on this??”   That talk is coming soon and considering my boy has no dad, it’s all on me.   

Timmy and the game of catch?  OMG DYING. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

This show slays me!  My 11 year old son and I watched it together and the whole time I was thinking silently to myself “are you picking up on this??”   That talk is coming soon and considering my boy has no dad, it’s all on me.   

Timmy and the game of catch?  OMG DYING. 

First of all... I loved Timmy catching the mitt, looking at it confused and then throwing it back to his dad.  😄

Also... good luck with that talk.  I don't envy you!

It was pretty brilliant how they were able to get through this entire hilarious episode without coming right out and specifically saying what they were talking about.  It reminded me of Seinfeld in that way - in particular The Contest episode (which is often listed as the funniest episode of television ever made) featuring the same activity that is never overtly mentioned. 

The funniest Seinfeld episodes were often about racier subjects that weren't normally addressed on television back then.  It was a much more innocent time -- television was so different compared to our current anything-goes standards.  (Or lack of standards.  Is there even a Broadcast Standards and Practices now?) 

I think that is a big part of what made Seinfeld so exceptionally hilarious... the way they danced around delicate subjects, finding creative ways to get their points across.   These days sitcoms can be very crass, but having characters say whatever raunchy things the writers come up with usually diminishes the humor compared to a more subtle and creative approach. 

Anyway... I think that is another thing this show has going for it -- being set in a more innocent era really opens up the humor when its delivered with such a deft touch.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

First of all... I loved Timmy catching the mitt, looking at it confused and then throwing it back to his dad.  😄

Also... good luck with that talk.  I don't envy you!

It was pretty brilliant how they were able to get through this entire hilarious episode without coming right out and specifically saying what they were talking about.  It reminded me of Seinfeld in that way - in particular The Contest episode (which is often listed as the funniest episode of television ever made) featuring the same activity that is never overtly mentioned. 

The funniest Seinfeld episodes were often about racier subjects that weren't normally addressed on television back then.  It was a much more innocent time -- television was so different compared to our current anything-goes standards.  (Or lack of standards.  Is there even a Broadcast Standards and Practices now?) 

I think that is a big part of what made Seinfeld so exceptionally hilarious... the way they danced around delicate subjects, finding creative ways to get their points across.   These days sitcoms can be very crass, but having characters say whatever raunchy things the writers come up with usually diminishes the humor compared to a more subtle and creative approach. 

Anyway... I think that is another thing this show has going for it -- being set in a more innocent era really opens up the humor when its delivered with such a deft touch.

Totally agree with all this!  I mean, what does it say about me that every week during mass my mind wanders to the Cleary family at some point.  I love this show!

I even had a Peg / Cleary kid moment in Easter mass last week, during the sharing of peace the lady in front of us said to my kiddo “hope the bunny was good to you.” He said yah, he was.  I said I think I saw you eating jelly beans before breakfast and he said yah and I had some in the shower too.  The man next to me busted up, “that’s the line of the day.” 🤣

Boys will be boys no matter the decade!  God love them.  ❤️

• LOL 5
15 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Edited to add:  Also, Timmy is the fifth kid:

Yes, I wrote that Timmy was the fourth child then wrote the names of the four older than him.  Apparently I've forgotten how to add!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, festivus said:

I was dying when those toenails were flying everywhere. Sooo gross but so funny.

It looked like one of them went flying into the girl's hair and she shook her head for a split second to get rid of it.  

Loved the scene with the girl and Frank on the swing. Every horryfing thing she was saying he would react to, then just as quickly say, "Im not judging'.  Frank's the one that i like the least but he was pretty funny here. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

On another note... I've been hoping somebody would transcribe the whole conversation between Timmy and Lawrence.  It was so hilarious.

You're wish is my command!!

Here. You might want to start keeping a box by your bed.

In case I have to blow my nose?

Or any other use you have no reason to be embarrassed about. -

You're right. - [CHUCKLES] I can make tissue ghosts out of these.

Or whatever else - you feel the urge to do.

- Oooh! - Oooh!

- Uh, what is important - is that you feel good about yourself.

- Whoo-oo! I feel great about myself. I made this spooky guy in, like, two seconds, and it looks totally real.

- Yeah.

- Oooh! Timmy, just listen.

- Whoo oo-oo!

- Timmy Okay, yeah - Okay, Timmy, just

- Boo!

Cut it out. Look, I know about your new secret activity.

You do?

Yeah

. Did that rat William tell you?

No. You've been a little messy with it, and it's not fair to Mom, who has to clean up after you.

- Mom knows?

- I don't think so

- No, no, no. - yet. Mom can't know.

well, there's no reason she has to.

But you know about it, and you're not mad at me?

God, no! It's beautiful and natural. I did the same thing when I was your age.

I doubt with the same level of pageantry.

That's the spirit! Celebrate yourself, brother. Just, you know, do your best to keep it private.

But the whole point is having an audience.

An audience?

I really feed off their energy. I got a good reaction when I did it at the library. But they insisted I do it quietly and only in the children's section.

Stop. What are you talking about?

My puppet show. And you're right, it is natural and beautiful. I'm gonna quote you in my flyer. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

Man, reading that transcript I found so many more funny lines:

Timmy :Hey, can you guys come back later? I was thinking of taking a nap.

Peggy: - Oh, God.

Mike- Well, it does make you sleepy, Peg. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

And this one:

Peggy: - And for some odd reason, it's "women's coats.

Mike" Well, at that age, it doesn't take a lot.

Peggy: What are we supposed to do, Mike? Get rid of everything with a woman's picture? "Hide the Mrs. Butterworth's bottle. Timmy's on the make. "

Mike:  Well, if they produced a better syrup, they wouldn't need to sex it up. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Mike:  Well, if they produced a better syrup, they wouldn't need to sex it up. 

Gotta disagree with Mike there. Mrs. Butterworth's is the only syrup I use. Joke was still funny though.

Y'all, Frank got his first kiss from a "bad" girl. I love it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I loved how innocent Timmy was, especially with the tissue ghost. He's still a child and although puberty is coming, it was nice to see him be a silly little kid.

Was William in any scene besides the library one at the beginning? And I loved the 5 seconds we got of Pat especially with Peggy in the soap opera scene. I wonder if they kept the younger ones out of the majority of this episode to avoid having to explain the premise too much.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, xander874 said:

And I loved the 5 seconds we got of Pat especially with Peggy in the soap opera scene.

What about when she threw him out of the room when they were going to talk to Timmy. That's the kind of physical treatment you would get in the 70's. Literally slung out of the room. Lol.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Although Mike thought "it" was natural,  I would have expected him to follow up by expressing a belief that a trip to the confessional was required after, just as he did in the episode involving Eddie and the condoms, where he was also far more realistic than Peggy was.

• Love 3
On 5/1/2019 at 12:15 AM, AnnaRose said:

Haha!  I loved Peggy and her washing machine, along with the Sears catalogue mention (women's coats!) and the sexed up Mrs. Butterworth bottle. 😄 And Timmy's whole conversation with Lawrence.

“For some odd reason, it’s Women’s Coats.”  She looked so annoyed that her “weird” son somehow finds women wearing coats sexy. This really made me laugh. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Totally agree with all this!  I mean, what does it say about me that every week during mass my mind wanders to the Cleary family at some point.  

❤️

Oh boy, good luck this Sunday!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Best written episode so far. I grew up Catholic and Mike Cleary is so much like my dad it's scary. When I was about Timmy's age my mom decided I was engaging in the same hobby, which I totally wasn't. She made my dad have The Talk with me and not only did he think it was silly and unnecessary, he was embarrassed to death. It wasn't until years later that I figured out what the old man was trying to tell me, like Timmy, I was clueless. Great job making a delicate subject real and hilarious. BTW, I think Frank was beyond sweet when he let his real emotions show, if only for a little bit. I like that kid, just wish he'd stop being such a tattler.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Frank: So where exactly was Joey this morning?

Mike:  I think it was the corner of "mind your own business" and "nobody likes a snitch. 

I don't know why but that one made me laugh so hard.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, festivus said:

What about when she threw him out of the room when they were going to talk to Timmy. That's the kind of physical treatment you would get in the 70's. Literally slung out of the room.

And she used the maneuver known as the Upper Arm Grab.  When a Mom resorts to this, you know she means business.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Please let this show be renewed! It just keeps getting funnier! 

My favorite part: whatever Mom was doing with the washing machine was "totally by accident" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

It was pretty brilliant how they were able to get through this entire hilarious episode without coming right out and specifically saying what they were talking about.  It reminded me of Seinfeld in that way - in particular The Contest episode (which is often listed as the funniest episode of television ever made) featuring the same activity that is never overtly mentioned. 

I thought of Seinfeld, too. I don't agree about the time being so much more gentle, though. His show was written for adults, not people with the sophistication of  fourth graders. It was funnier not using the M word. Remember the one about the spitting incident and Kramer?  Kramer's reaction to having been hit.  Jerry with a pointer discussing the angle of the spit. There must've been a second spitter.  If they had spelled out the event (or, more specifically, the Oliver Stone movie), it wouldn't have been nearly as funny. 

The main reason that I hate comedies is that they're dumbed down for idiots by explaining the jokes, thus ruining it for those who got it the first time.

I thought this was an excellent episode, and I liked that when the conversation got a little strange between Lawrence and Timmy, Lawrence asked for clarification. In far too many comedies, the misunderstanding would've been dragged out long after the misunderstanding had reached the point of absurdity, like an old "I Love Lucy" episode.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
58 minutes ago, mojito said:

I thought this was an excellent episode, and I liked that when the conversation got a little strange between Lawrence and Timmy, Lawrence asked for clarification. In far too many comedies, the misunderstanding would've been dragged out long after the misunderstanding had reached the point of absurdity, like an old "I Love Lucy" episode.

I really liked that too!

• Love 5

The comedy of I Love Lucy will be around long after most modern comedies run out of steam.  The Three Stooges episodes are still___ being aired everyday somewhere, amazing since many of the episodes came out in the 1930's and 40's.   

• Love 1

With this episode I realized that there's been kind of a theme to Timmy- his refusal/inability to grow up and let go of his innocent cute little kid status. There's also the episode where he tried to pass himself off as 10 to appear in a kid show audience as well as the episode where he refused to admit he had body odor now. Now we've got the family basically expecting him to have a sex drive kick-in, and he's not ready for that yet. 11 to 15 is such a weird age range because everybody is at differing stages of development, before you and your peers largely even out at 16/17.

• Love 4

This episode was hilariously cringey. My husband and I watched with our son who just turned 10 last week. I see now what's coming - I started having to say "get your hands out of your pants" by the time he was five and I guess it just ramps up from there.....boys.......

Joey was so awesome with the old people - I knew there was no way he was being altruistic! I think he should grow up and become a politician -  he's smarmy, amoral and self-serving yet able to get things done when necessary.....

Frank should be the one to become a priest. I laughed when the girl came to the door and asked to talk to Frank and Peg said ok but it won't be interesting.

I don't remember what he said exactly, but when Mike said society needs to go back to being repressed made me laugh. He would probably have a stroke over how society is now!

I really love Eddy - he's such a lovable dim bulb. His advice to Frank was smart and stupid at the same time. The flashback to him in the closet "on the phone" with the phone sitting outside the closet was hilarious!

I hate Lawrence's hair now - he looked so much better with it long......

Did they show Andy at all this episode? It's kind of weird that he's rarely shown.....

• Love 3