Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: In It to Twin It

What have we the viewers done to deserve this much of Hildi's arrogance and careless attitude when it comes to the people she's working on these rooms with? Is she the the easiest one to get to come and appear in an episode when they need someone?

• Love 9

The twins are really hilarious, the twin that had Hildi was being honest with Hildi telling her that she had crazy rooms made me laugh so hard! It is really funny Sabrina and Hildi picked white paint for their rooms! I thought Hildi’s room was okay, at least it was not a crazy room but her clouds is ugly and Sabrina’s room is pretty nice! It was a fun episode and I am glad the twins and their husbands loved their rooms and there is a new record, one of the twins love Hildi! What are the odds?! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Working together, living close to each other, and traveling together sounds awful to me, but the twin sisters seem very happy, so good for them; they’re lucky to have found husbands who like each other so much and are cool spending so much time together.  This was a nice episode for everyone being in such a good mood, just nice and funny.  Well, Paige was annoying as ever, but everyone else was great to watch.

I don’t like white walls, and both rooms were underwhelming to me – neither one would make me think a designer had done it – but I knew the homeowners were going to be happy.

In Hildi’s house, the first thing I’d do is put my TV back, and in Sabrina’s the first thing I’d do is put my ceiling fan back.  But that's easy.  There was nothing offensive, and some nice touches in each.  I really liked the art work Sabrina did (and loved how giddy she was when it came out as she’d hoped) and the rope bench, and like the wall texture Hildi did, plus the curved headboard and the bed linen.  Manish had me rolling my eyes at his worries about the blue – “it’s a lot of blue” (um, no, it’s a ceiling, surrounded by white walls) and “it’s really dark” (when it’s medium at best) – but I appreciated him saying the next day he should have trusted Hildi.  I don't really care for the clouds, but I will say they looked better than any other "sky" ceiling I've seen them do on this show.

• Love 6

I thought Sabrina's room looked like what a professional designer would do, and Hildi's room looked like something an amateur would do. Sabrina's room just looked more 'designed' and pulled together. Hildi's had some stuff that didn't necessarily work together into a design. I liked the clouds on the ceiling, hated the blue chairs and the bedding.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Working together, living close to each other, and traveling together sounds awful to me, but the twin sisters seem very happy, so good for them; they’re lucky to have found husbands who like each other so much and are cool spending so much time together.  This was a nice episode for everyone being in such a good mood, just nice and funny.  Well, Paige was annoying as ever, but everyone else was great to watch.

I don’t like white walls, and both rooms were underwhelming to me – neither one would make me think a designer had done it – but I knew the homeowners were going to be happy.

In Hildi’s house, the first thing I’d do is put my TV back, and in Sabrina’s the first thing I’d do is put my ceiling fan back.  But that's easy.  There was nothing offensive, and some nice touches in each.  I really liked the art work Sabrina did (and loved how giddy she was when it came out as she’d hoped) and the rope bench, and like the wall texture Hildi did, plus the curved headboard and the bed linen.  Manish had me rolling my eyes at his worries about the blue – “it’s a lot of blue” (um, no, it’s a ceiling, surrounded by white walls) and “it’s really dark” (when it’s medium at best) – but I appreciated him saying the next day he should have trusted Hildi.  I don't really care for the clouds, but I will say they looked better than any other "sky" ceiling I've seen them do on this show.

From what I remember, I think Frank did a sky ceiling and he did a great job on the clouds which looked like real clouds

• Love 2

I went to let the dog in, came back to the tv to see Sabrina and Jody rolling on the ground. Just what was that about?

I liked the blue chairs in Hildi's room, I also like the idea of the poof, but the trim/fringe was wonky, it needed to be straightened out. I didn't care for her clouds on the ceiling. I don't mind painted color on the ceiling, I've done it several times myself, but I've seen better clouds. 

I wouldn't want to live in Sabrina's room, it's just not color choices I would make, but it did look nice. I wouldn't want white walls, I've lived in too many rentals over the years. But I did like Sabrina's art, I've got a fb friend who does something similar and I've wondered how it was done. I wouldn't mind trying it out.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, friendperidot said:

I went to let the dog in, came back to the tv to see Sabrina and Jody rolling on the ground. Just what was that about?

I liked the blue chairs in Hildi's room, I also like the idea of the poof, but the trim/fringe was wonky, it needed to be straightened out. I didn't care for her clouds on the ceiling. I don't mind painted color on the ceiling, I've done it several times myself, but I've seen better clouds. 

I wouldn't want to live in Sabrina's room, it's just not color choices I would make, but it did look nice. I wouldn't want white walls, I've lived in too many rentals over the years. But I did like Sabrina's art, I've got a fb friend who does something similar and I've wondered how it was done. I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Sabrina told Joanie to build a big dresser with a mirror and then Joanie got mad and Sabrina said “I am kidding!” and Joanie said “You are dead!” and chased Sabrina and tackled Sabrina to the ground 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

I thought Sabrina's room looked like what a professional designer would do, and Hildi's room looked like something an amateur would do. Sabrina's room just looked more 'designed' and pulled together. Hildi's had some stuff that didn't necessarily work together into a design. I liked the clouds on the ceiling, hated the blue chairs and the bedding.

I thought it was a fairly solid effort from Hildi. There's always something about many of Hildi's designs that looks a little half-assed. There was something about the blue of the chairs that was a tiny bit off; I'm sure the color was probably present somewhere in the patterned fabric she used, but was probably better used next to those patterned fabrics. I also think the gold paint on the dresser was too matte. Painting things metallic shouldn't even be under consideration on these shows unless the object to be painted is very very small. Doing a good job painting things metallic takes days not hours.

I thought Sabrina's room was quite nice. I didn't love it, but I liked it well enough. I really liked the geode painting.div 

• Love 4

The chairs in Hildi's room were not attractive (I won't say ugly, but not attractive), did not at all have a bedroom vibe, and were rather pointless -- why not just sit on the end of the bed to do whatever they were supposed to be for, be it putting on shoes or whatever (certainly not watching TV, since that would be done from the bed to begin with, and then she removed it).  If she wanted to add something to the foot of the bed to cover that floor space, a bench would have made more sense.  They seemed like something blue she got for cheap and shoe-horned into the room to fit the assigned color scheme; a real weak spot in an otherwise ho-hum yet cohesive design.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The chairs in Hildi's room were not attractive (I won't say ugly, but not attractive), did not at all have a bedroom vibe, and were rather pointless -- why not just sit on the end of the bed to do whatever they were supposed to be for, be it putting on shoes or whatever (certainly not watching TV, since that would be done from the bed to begin with, and then she removed it).  If she wanted to add something to the foot of the bed to cover that floor space, a bench would have made more sense.  They seemed like something blue she got for cheap and shoe-horned into the room to fit the assigned color scheme; a real weak spot in an otherwise ho-hum yet cohesive design.

Yeah, they didn't seem to fit into a bedroom. And I guess you can't really tell on TV but the fabric didn't look like it'd be very soft. She had blue on the ceiling and in the bedspread print so she didn't need them just to get blue in there.

• Love 3

This must have been the Hildi redemption episode.  They certainly mentioned her history often enough.  I actually liked her room although the clouds weren't very attractive.  I didn't mind the chairs but I thought they were too big for the room.  A small upholstered bench would have looked more balanced.  

I thought Sabrina's room looked rather boring although I did like the "art."  The couple seemed to like it though.  Maybe it was just the angle but it looked to me like the weaving on the bench was farther from the edge on one side than on the other.

I could do without all the "comic" hijinks.  Ty was annoying and the skipping rope and rolling around on the ground was just stupid.  I am always irritated by Paige and the extra nonsense was too much.

The twins and their husbands seemed like nice people so I'm glad they were happy.

• Love 7

Did anyone notice the Overstock rug in Sabrina’s room? There was a different, larger rug under the bed, but I do not recall seeing the “must be used” one the couple picked out. 

• Love 2

I just hope this is the last of Heidi for the season. I feel sorry for Ty...he’s supposed to be one of the designers, but he’s being used in multiple episodes as the sole carpenter.

And now they have a real room do-over next? WTH!

7 hours ago, mlp said:

I could do without all the "comic" hijinks.  Ty was annoying and the skipping rope and rolling around on the ground was just stupid.  I am always irritated by Paige and the extra nonsense was too much.

They seemed to dial the goofing around to 11 this episode, and I agree it was annoying. I didn't feel like I had any idea what either room was going look like until the reveal because they showed so little of what was going on in the rooms and so much goofing around. It's supposed to be a design show.

• Love 10

I like Hildi more than most, but it's like she's on every other episode, at least. The producers found some focus group that enthusiastically wanted "more drama" and figured they should just put Hildi in as much as possible. Her room was okay. Clouds painted on the ceiling are almost cliche at this point, but it's one of the better attempts. The blue chairs probably look better in real life, but I can't say I'm a fan in that space. I'd have to see the tissue paper upclose to get a real sense of it. Overall, one of her safer rooms. 

The other room was fine.

Edited by gorgy
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, absolutelyido said:

They seemed to dial the goofing around to 11 this episode, and I agree it was annoying. I didn't feel like I had any idea what either room was going look like until the reveal because they showed so little of what was going on in the rooms and so much goofing around. It's supposed to be a design show.

I also got annoyed at Sabrina and Paige just standing there talking about how worried she was that they would run out of time. Maybe shut up and get to work, then?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, absolutelyido said:

I have a feeling it was because not much was actually being done. Both rooms were...nice. Nothing terrible in either one, but they were pretty bland. Honestly, morning after the only things I remember are the sky ceiling and Sabrina's artwork which was hands down my favorite thing of the episode. I can't tell you anything else about the rooms other than white walls and some sore thumb blue chairs. 

What this ep did prove to me is that Hildi is not an interior designer. When she can't hide behind her "whacky" shit, she's mediocre at best. All I could think about the tissue paper on the walls was that it was going to catch dust like nobodies business. Yuck

• Love 12
8 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

I just hope this is the last of Heidi for the season. I feel sorry for Ty...he’s supposed to be one of the designers, but he’s being used in multiple episodes as the sole carpenter.

And now they have a real room do-over next? WTH!

I doubt it, they will watch Hilda and her crazy rooms for the entertainment factor and Tygert sucks as designer, he needs to stick to carpeting 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, caitmcg said:

Did anyone notice the Overstock rug in Sabrina’s room? There was a different, larger rug under the bed, but I do not recall seeing the “must be used” one the couple picked out. 

It was on top of the larger rug.  So, at the foot of the bed was the Overstock rug, then the rest of the larger rug extending out from under that.

• Love 3

During this second season it seems like each episode is more about Paige and staged silliness than it is about the design.  Each episode I am shocked when they do the final reveals as I had no idea what the rooms would look like as they are showing very few elements.  So, in this episode both rooms had new drapes which were never shown prior to the reveal.  Same with lamps and other accents.  I actually enjoy hearing/seeing about the various design elements that they are bringing in and would like to see more of it during the episodes.  

And I'm definitely over Paige.  At the beginning of this episode she was all 'can you believe it?  Paige Davis is in your cul de sac...'  And, she seems to give a several minute monologue at the reveals in stead of just showing the participants what happened what their rooms look like. 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I actually enjoy hearing/seeing about the various design elements that they are bringing in and would like to see more of it during the episodes.  

I miss that aspect, when they talked more and demonstrated more what they were doing in the room. Now we have shopping in the product placement tent, cringing as Paige screams at us that this is all so exciting, and watching them pretend to be having wacky hijinx fun which has all be so carefully staged that it's painful to watch.

I only half watch anymore, mostly just to see the reveal. 

• Love 9

The tissue paper treatment on the wall just ended up looking like very subtle stucco. What a nightmare to get rid of if they ever want to change it.

Hildi always looks so pleased when homeowners are happy to see they’ll be working with her. She knows they’re just ecstatic because it means Hildi isn't doing THEIR room, right?

I thought both rooms were an improvement and both sets of homeowners seemed happy, so that was nice. 

I’m on board with everyone who wishes they’d cut down on the shenanigans. And I don’t think things like “I’m sweating my balls off” belong on this kind of show.

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, SHD said:

Hildi always looks so pleased when homeowners are happy to see they’ll be working with her. She knows they’re just ecstatic because it means Hildi isn't doing THEIR room, right?

Seriously. I would not be thrilled to be working with Hildi but OMG would I be happy to find out she was not designing my room. If I'd gotten anyone else I'd spend the whole time worried she was in my room. 

• Love 7

I almost passed on this episode. After reading here that Hildi's room wasn't one of her usual disaster areas I decided to give it a shot. It was ok for what it was. The shenanigans seeming to go on for forever got really annoying though. I almost wondered if they put the decorating restrictions on each room as a way to curb Hildi somewhat. She got that potentially wall ruining effect into the room though. At least each couple seemed ok with the results they received. 

• Love 2

I really liked Sabrina's room, and was mostly indifferent to Hildi's room.  Drawing designs on the ceiling reads more like a child's room to me than something meant for adults, and the chairs at the foot of the bed would be the first things to go.

• Love 3

Didn't she say they were using wallpaper glue to put up the tissue paper? Hopefully that means it's removed easily enough if they want to get rid of it. (Not that wallpaper's particularly fun to take down - been there, done that - but at least it shouldn't ruin the walls.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SHD said:

The tissue paper treatment on the wall just ended up looking like very subtle stucco. What a nightmare to get rid of if they ever want to change it.

I thought both rooms were an improvement and both sets of homeowners seemed happy, so that was nice. 

I’m on board with everyone who wishes they’d cut down on the shenanigans. And I don’t think things like “I’m sweating my balls off” belong on this kind of show.

I forgot about "I'm sweating my balls off" comment, does that mean Sabrina is a man? 

I enjoyed the episode and though both rooms were not knock your socks off, they were both nice.

I agree with wanting to see more shots of the finished rooms and less Staged Paige.

I didn't mind the Ty silliness though. I also like Sabrina and wasn't bothered by the balls comment.

I was not thrilled with them coming up with required colors, etc. just because they are twins. I'd prefer for them to just design however they want.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Didn't she say they were using wallpaper glue to put up the tissue paper? Hopefully that means it's removed easily enough if they want to get rid of it. (Not that wallpaper's particularly fun to take down - been there, done that - but at least it shouldn't ruin the walls.)

She did, but I was thinking that tissue paper can't be peeled off like strips of heavier wallpaper can, especially since she overlapped it in parts.

• Love 4

I have mixed feelings about the episode.  On the one hand I was shocked at how simple and tasteful the rooms were, but on the other hand they were so simple that I felt like in some ways I couldn't really tell that a designer did either room.  Meaning the homeowners could have easily done their own rooms, and chosen some actual color if they wanted it. 

I am sure a lot of it for me is the white walls--I am over everything being white walls in home magazines the last year or so.  I just find it boring. 

I did hate the blue chairs though...they were ugly.  I also thought that the tissue paper technique only proved that Hildi likes to just simply ruin walls to some degree, as it didn't really add anything to the room, and in typical Hildi fashion created a future problem for the homeowners.  

• Love 9

The bed linens in Hildi's room were beyond fugly. Agree with everyone who hated the chairs. It also looked like she replaced the TV on a dresser with a mirror on it just leaning against the wall. In California. Where we have earthquakes. I did not mind the ceiling being pained a color other than white but the cloud treatment was too juvenile.

That rope bench at the foot of the bed in Sabrina's room would be terrible to sit on and I did not like the fabric she choose for the headboard. I thought the scale of the headboard was off, too.

Ty was utterly annoying throughout and needed to put on a real shirt. Keep your nipples to yourself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Can I just say that if I had the run of the Overstock/Wayfair tent, I would not dither over choosing some dumb knickknack? I would pick a substantial piece of furniture or a large rug! Something expensive! "You can pick anything you want!" "Oh, honey, how about this candlestick, or a decorative tray?" I don't get that at all.

Do not get me started on the chandelier. Why a chandelier in the bedroom? Are they doing eye surgery in there? Anyone who touched my ceiling fan would live to regret it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

That rope bench at the foot of the bed in Sabrina's room would be terrible to sit on

It wasn't meant to be sat on, or at least not as its primary purpose -- Sabrina knew hardly anyone actually sits on those benches (and she and Joanie said both of theirs were used to set laundry on), so its main purpose was decorative over functional.  And I think it was a success, decoratively.

Even if one did sit on it, it would be for a very short period of time (e.g. to put on shoes), so as long as it was strong enough to actually hold a person, then it would work either way.

• Love 1

I didn't hate the chairs, I just didn't like where they were placed.  That looked awkward.  Maybe off the side, by the window, or something.  Or even split up, one on each side of the room.  My parents have a chair on each side of the room and it looks good.  They each use them, too.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

It also looked like she replaced the TV on a dresser with a mirror on it just leaning against the wall. In California. Where we have earthquakes.

At least she just leaned it up against the wall, so they could easily remove it and plop their TV back up where it belonged.  I'm sure these designers know the TVs are coming right back in, and whatever they replace them with is just for the picture of their final design.

It's better than replacing a (non-ugly) ceiling fan with a fixture that only provides light; it's not hard to put that back, but you're working over your head and some people are scared to touch anything electrical, so it's more of a burden.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

At least she just leaned it up against the wall, so they could easily remove it and plop their TV back up where it belonged.  I'm sure these designers know the TVs are coming right back in, and whatever they replace them with is just for the picture of their final design.

It's better than replacing a (non-ugly) ceiling fan with a fixture that only provides light; it's not hard to put that back, but you're working over your head and some people are scared to touch anything electrical, so it's more of a burden.

I do really hate when they mess with fans for the reason you state.  I hate when we have to change light fixtures, and I would hate for someone to remove my fan, when I know a fan of some kind would be going right back up--and therefore cause me the work of having to do it.  In our house the fans were there.  I would actually like to have a fan in the other bedroom but haven't felt up to doing it yet.  

And in the end, even if the fan isn't fancy it doesn't ruin their design.  I don't look up at our ceiling fan when I look at our room.  And I would prefer function in this case over looks.  That said if someone replaced it with a nicer fan, that would be okay.  lol

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Hildi would have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Trading Spaces has ALWAYS yanked down the fans and it makes me nuts.  I, too have fans everywhere and I pay a LOT less for electricity in the summer than most.  Plus, just not having the moving air makes a house feel stuffy IMO.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, alexa said:

And in the end, even if the fan isn't fancy it doesn't ruin their design.  

Good looking, decor specific fans are not expensive.  Also, Pinterest is stuffed with fan light and blade changes that look terrific.  Function gets knocked way too far down the priority list on this show.

• Love 1

I’m convinced the twins had art work and decorative items in the rooms and removed them for effect. I just don’t believe they both had nice bedding but left everything else blank.

They should get rid of the Overstock tent if the homeowners are required to pick out only small, inexpensive items. Most people would choose a dresser or nice piece of artwork over a wastebasket. I don’t get the silliness and think adults will still enjoy the show if people aren’t rolling on the ground. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Can I just say that if I had the run of the Overstock/Wayfair tent, I would not dither over choosing some dumb knickknack? I would pick a substantial piece of furniture or a large rug! Something expensive! "You can pick anything you want!" "Oh, honey, how about this candlestick, or a decorative tray?" I don't get that at all.

They've had some really nice-looking desks/tables/chests of drawers in there that I would love to have in my house. I bought a new couch and armchair for my living room a few years ago but most of the rest of my furniture are hand-me-downs from my parents, or just old (I still have the bedroom set I got when I was in middle school, which is in decent shape but looks like, well, something a 13-year-old girl in the late 80s would pick). (I also have dresser that I've had literally since I was born. I would love to refinish it because it's been through a lot (it lived in my parents' basement for about 12 years after I got the aforementioned bedroom set and has since been with me through two apartments, with a move back to the parents' house in between, and now my condo.) I wouldn't trust the TS crew with it, though.)

2 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Trading Spaces has ALWAYS yanked down the fans and it makes me nuts.  I, too have fans everywhere and I pay a LOT less for electricity in the summer than most.  Plus, just not having the moving air makes a house feel stuffy IMO.

I would be so mad. My condo has a fan in the living room and both bedrooms. They're not really my taste, decor-wise, and one of them is a bit cheaper than the others so it doesn't look as nice (in my "office-slash-library" which was a 10yo boy's bedroom before; it's also a bit louder, but I don't spend a lot of time in there so I don't much care), but I don't want to spend the money to replace them when they work just fine. I just replaced the decorative charms on the end of the pull chains. Even with the air on in the summer I have them running in the bedroom and living room pretty much all the time when I'm home. Keeps my AC down a bit, and I also face the parking lot so I don't like to open my windows (because too many of my neighbors are apparently trying to deafen themselves with their car stereos), so it gets stuffy sometimes.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

They should get rid of the Overstock tent if the homeowners are required to pick out only small, inexpensive items.

I suspect that they are told what to choose not based on size or cost but based upon the way the couples "shop."  Every time, they zero in on something in complete agreement without so much as walking around and checking out all the items.  Most people would want to see what's available before making a decision.

• Love 5

Yes, I’m sure they are told what to pick, but since it’s always something small that is barely featured in the room it just isn’t interesting.

I think it would be fun to see them pick a large piece of furniture or art work and then see the designer try to work with it.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 10

Yes, I’m sure they are told what to pick, but since it’s always something small that is barely featured in the room it just isn’t interesting.

I think that's more apparent this season - last season, there were definitely some things chosen that stuck out like a sore thumb in the rooms.  (I seem to recall a set of some kind of strange feather sculptures that were just kind of set on the floor in one of the rooms, but I honestly can't recall anything else about the room!)

I've been rewatching the old seasons (like... Season 2) while I putter around the house and they are much more about the design process and work than the shenanigans.  You could actually get some ideas about things to do in the old ones.  Of course, that was back in the day when TLC was still "The Learning Channel" and now it's... not.

• Love 3

That tissue paper treatment on the walls actually came out quite nice, like stucco as someone else mentioned, or that old-fashioned plaster texture you see in some older houses.  Check it out!  Hildi glued something to the walls and it wasn't hideous!

I loved how honest Sabrina was about the rope bench with saying it was just going to end up as a laundry basket.  Her artwork turned out amazing.  Usually a lot of the "art projects" the homeowners do is kind of stupid looking, but that was gorgeous.

I cracked up when the fancy artsy close-up photos in the one bedroom turned out to be the other twin and her husband. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Her artwork turned out amazing.  Usually a lot of the "art projects" the homeowners do is kind of stupid looking, but that was gorgeous.

It's one of the rare art projects on this show I would actually pay money for. It helps that I love blue, but it did come out beautiful and not like a craft project. 

• Love 5